2020 Fishing Thread

Do we really need a new thread on this topic just because it's a new year? I think not.

Beautiful day on the harbor yesterday. We ran down near the mouth of the harbor, where fishing is usually pretty good. Yesterday, not so much. After about an hour I had managed to catch a needlefish and my wife caught a pinfish, which she promptly put out as bait. It somehow got off the hook, which is rare.

I got bored and flew my drone.

VVBullBay.jpg

That's Bull Bay in the background.

VVGaspSnd.jpg

And another angle with Gasparilla Sound in the background.

We went over to a nearby island to try some more. I got a jack about the size of the snapper from post 16. Never caught one that small before. My wife got a pufferfish and another pinfish. She put it out as bait and again the pinfish escaped. Really weird. They're usually on the hook until something takes them off and she had two get away.

But at least there was a catboat with tanbark sail to class up the place, so that was nice.

GaspSndCatboat.jpg

We didn't catch anything else. Pretty bad day fishing, which is still a good day.

• Like 1
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40# WSB Santa Rosa island 

55 lb bluefin.  Just spent a couple hours with Senor Mariachi. Good fun that.

We finally get a Saturday that Lake Michigan had light winds and laid down nicely for us after a few weeks of big wind and waves.  We fished the warm water outlet (aka the bubbler) at Port Sheldon loo

Posted Images

Yesterday I spent the warm part of the day on the Arkansas, caught a nice brown right away. Wading up along the bank occasionally walking across the ice shelf, fish scurry out from under the shelf, they're tough to cast to. Went into Salida for coffee and a muffin, more fishing on the way back north but no more fish. Wading is normally tricky but doubly so when everything is covered in ice/snow.

Never saw another fisherman, it was a good day.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Yesterday I spent the warm part of the day on the Arkansas, caught a nice brown right away. Wading up along the bank occasionally walking across the ice shelf, fish scurry out from under the shelf, they're tough to cast to. Went into Salida for coffee and a muffin, more fishing on the way back north but no more fish. Wading is normally tricky but doubly so when everything is covered in ice/snow.

Never saw another fisherman, it was a good day.

The determination to fish must be strong in you. I'd have been indoors near a fire, I suspect.

We did see LOTS of other fishermen.

Cropped version of one of the pics above, showing my wife's sleeveless t-shirt.

VVGaspSndCrop.jpg

Since I started the 2020 thread, I considered starting a 2021, but now I can go back to my last 2020 trip and plans for 2021.

I was at Englewood Beach trying a new Pompano rig.  2 hooks tied to a leader with a weight at the end and artificial Sand Flea bait.  Not getting skunked is a 6" Whiting and a Blue Crab.  But bunches of Greenbacks.  I took some of the Greenies up to the Secret Spot for a wading trip.  I put on my 1984 O'Neil farmer john wet suit.  Rubber doesn't smell like skinny legs.  When I got there some folks said that Manatees were here.  I waded along and one of the swam right up to me.  I backed up and it cruised away.  A few minutes it came back even closer.  I braced my back foot and gave it a push with my other foot  and then called it a day.

Tom and I are anticipating the opening of Redfish on May 1 for the first time in 3 years.  To increase my odds, I bought a 14', 1963 Mitchell project boat.  It is a worthy candidate for the Cruising Forum's Ugly Boat thread.  The trailer is in good shape.  It will get a 10 gallon bait tank, just a battery air pump.  You take out 1 screw on a Minn Kota transom mount trolling motor and turn the head around and it becomes a bow mount.  I am claiming by adverse possession the 8 hp Honda motor and gallon of epoxy primer and Perfection from my brother that has been in my garage for several years.  Most of the inside will get Kiwi Grip.

I won't go far with it.  Launch at the little ramp on Placida Road, get bait by the Intercoastal and fish the islands just north of Stump Pass.

Anticipation!

55 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Tom and I are anticipating the opening of Redfish on May 1 for the first time in 3 years.

Actually, I'm anticipating another extension of the closures.

57 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

To increase my odds, I bought a 14', 1963 Mitchell project boat.  It is a worthy candidate for the Cruising Forum's Ugly Boat thread.  The trailer is in good shape.  It will get a 10 gallon bait tank, just a battery air pump. 

I hope it doesn't have a 1963 engine! An aerator will work OK but whitebait will probably die without circulation. I made this in 2010 and still use it on the 'toon boat.

coolerlivewell.jpg

I put a plastic grate over the overflow outlet to stop bait from overflowing. Cut out of the pic is a little bilge pump. Just toss it overboard and plug it in. I also cut a notch for the hose and wire into the lid so I can put the pump into the cooler/livewell when moving the boat and still have the lid all the way on.

I have a large live bait well for greenies when I want to use them, it fits under the leaning post of my 19' Mako.  I plumbed in a T-intersection in the piping from my baitwell pump and ran one line up into the cockpit for the big tank and one to the port aft built in small one that I use for shrimp and mud minnows when fishing the inlet.  Its a pretty decent setup, although the pump will outrun the drain in the small built in baitwell, so I added a few inline throttle valves to each system so I can regulate the flow.  I'm quite proud of it if I do say so myself.

The power tilt on my fishing boat quit working while we were out a couple of weeks ago. It resumed working when a mechanic appeared, then quit working again while we were out on Friday. My mechanic walked me through testing various components via text and when we'd eliminated everything else he said to remove the trim motor and bench test it. Umm... no, how about you come and do that? So he's coming tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I did manage to tilt the engine so he can get right to work.

BackhoePowerTilt.jpg

The procedure was a bit of an OSHA inspector's nightmare. Got it propped up on that phone pole stump, reset the strap, inserted the concrete block and wood chunks to prop it up again, reset the strap again, then managed to lift it high enough to engage the engine tilt locks.

8 minutes ago, Polytelum Tom said:

The power tilt on my fishing boat quit working while we were out a couple of weeks ago. It resumed working when a mechanic appeared, then quit working again while we were out on Friday. My mechanic walked me through testing various components via text and when we'd eliminated everything else he said to remove the trim motor and bench test it. Umm... no, how about you come and do that? So he's coming tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I did manage to tilt the engine so he can get right to work.

The procedure was a bit of an OSHA inspector's nightmare. Got it propped up on that phone pole stump, reset the strap, inserted the concrete block and wood chunks to prop it up again, reset the strap again, then managed to lift it high enough to engage the engine tilt locks.

At least you were not standing on a ladder in the bucket.

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Have you Florida boys tried slow pitch jigging yet?

Google Johnny Jigs on YouTube if you don't know what SPJ is all about. 

Damn, that looks legit.  Might have to get some gear and try it for amberjacks and snapper when the weather gets warmer.

1 hour ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Aaaaand I looked at the prices of the equipment.  Holy dogshit.........

Yeah, I sold a bunch of saltwater fly fishing gear I don't use anymore and then bought spj gear. Just waiting for this fucking plague to subside and then I'm going to start using it out here on the west coast. Something new and different is always fun. 

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Yeah, I sold a bunch of saltwater fly fishing gear I don't use anymore and then bought spj gear. Just waiting for this fucking plague to subside and then I'm going to start using it out here on the west coast. Something new and different is always fun. 

For everything I would want it was half the price of my new T-top I installed :o

1 hour ago, Jkdubz808 said:

For everything I would want it was half the price of my new T-top I installed :o

Penn just came out with inexpensive spj rods and any conventional reel you have already will get you started. A couple of Johnny jigs and the next thing you know, you got a box full of muttons and grouper. And didn't even have to mess with bait. 

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready for a little evening fishing trip yesterday and my wife asks me if I'm ready for her to start backing down the boat ramp.

"Yes, but there's an osprey in the middle of the ramp."

BoatRampOsprey.jpg

This isn't some fancy zoom lens. That's my shadow as I leaned down with my iPhone. We were thinking about calling the local bird rescue org because that left foot looks fucked up and because it's rare for an osprey to let a human get within arms reach. Also a bit weird to sit there with wings in the water.

The bird did get tired of us soon after this pic was taken, stood up on both legs and flew off. The invasive armored catfish swam away, apparently unharmed.

So the osprey wound up being about as successful as we were at fishing yesterday afternoon.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

Getting ready for a little evening fishing trip yesterday and my wife asks me if I'm ready for her to start backing down the boat ramp.

"Yes, but there's an osprey in the middle of the ramp."

BoatRampOsprey.jpg

This isn't some fancy zoom lens. That's my shadow as I leaned down with my iPhone. We were thinking about calling the local bird rescue org because that left foot looks fucked up and because it's rare for an osprey to let a human get within arms reach. Also a bit weird to sit there with wings in the water.

The bird did get tired of us soon after this pic was taken, stood up on both legs and flew off. The invasive armored catfish swam away, apparently unharmed.

So the osprey wound up being about as successful as we were at fishing yesterday afternoon.

I'm always amazed by the outsized talons on ospreys.  Great design for grabbing fish that weigh as much as you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Fishin' Frank's Is Coming Back!

Saw the news on Frank's FB this morning.

Yes it's true the name of this page will be changing to Fishin Franks is back.
I know for everyone it seems like forever and yes things changed a lot over the year.
But in the end I have decided along with Robert and Terry do open another store, Fishin Franks
after the store burned and then I lost the building I wanted it took the heart out of me, depression and anger , were the key words this last summer. while still not altogether whole, Thanks to Steve and Janie Duke we have a place to open, Bill Truex and Chuck Hepp along with others will be getting it done,
I have not been in touch with most of the people who have donated and or been asking about gift cards as it was overwhelming or there was just nothing to say, But YES it will be fishin Franks and Yes we will have bait and tackle and Yes Robert will be running it and no I do not know who will be working there thanks to the people who were patience,
this happened last Friday ,
Blind Tarpon tackle will Happen just not right now. For now you will have to put up with Fishin Franks

(There was some talk about Robert, who is mostly blind, opening a store, if you're wondering what that part at the end is about.)

It was tough to find a place to open.  Most landlords don't want a shrimp tank.

The old lot is nicely graded, but Circle K has yet to put up a catch fence.

A while back I saw a car in Sunshitter's fence.  When do we get the pleasure of paying for the fixing of the road markings?

• 3 weeks later...

Since yesterday was the last day of winter I decided to get one last day of "winter" fishing in. Nice warm sunny day, banks were ice free for the most part. Fishing was productive, not stellar but still a great day. A little after noon a couple people showed up,  far too crowded for me. Last fish was pretty decent but it ran at me and swam between my legs and wrapped my waders, saved me getting my hands wet again. 

Time for someone to start the 2021 fishing thread, I'm skiing today.

35 minutes ago, burndoc said:

16B68EB7-630D-488F-9426-C103A4135541.thumb.jpeg.ab82009e8df5b2b1a81e04b9a60c9126.jpegCancun last week

cant flip

Click on it and it flips.

1 hour ago, dolphinmaster said:

What did you get it to bite on ?

Rainbow and brown/silver "gulps". Landed Five in about 90 minutes with lots of spit hooks especially when they jumped

• Like 1
18 hours ago, burndoc said:

Rainbow and brown/silver "gulps". Landed Five in about 90 minutes with lots of spit hooks especially when they jumped

I think the best tarpon fights are when they throw the hook on the third jump.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Shambolic Tom said:

I think the best tarpon fights are when they throw the hook on the third jump.

I was by myself on my little boat at the 41 bridge and jumped one.  He looked down at me and I said, "Please spit the hook".

I achieved two personal bests yesterday.

Started the day by shattering my own previous world teeniness record for snapper.

2021-03-24LaneSnap.jpg

That's gotta be a world record, right?

There were numerous bait thieves on the reef. Pretty sure a couple of snappers robbed me and my wife caught a puffer and a tiny lizard fish.

After soaking a shrimp for ten minutes or so, I figured a top level snapper had somehow managed to rob me without my even feeling it. I started to reel in to re-bait and felt heavy resistance. This came up:

2021-03-24Sheepshead.jpg

At 18 inches and just shy of 4 lbs, definitely a personal best for me. Sheepshead do get a lot bigger out by the oil rigs but I've never seen one this big in the harbor before. It was delicious.

Got bored with the reef and headed over to the Myakka River mouth, where we both caught bonnethead sharks. Didn't keep them. My wife caught a nice Spanish mackerel, which we did keep and gave to my brother. I got a nice looking trout which I would have kept if they were not still under a red tide-related moratorium.

2021-03-24Trout.jpg

• Like 4

OK one more, no time to start a new thread.

Typical early spring pre run off day in the upper Arkansas valley.

Caught a few and spen 45 minutes one good looking fish who who took a look and a swipe at some tiny bugs.

Here is a typical brown in the river.

RIMG0460.JPG

RIMG0462.JPG

• Like 3

Nice brownie, B.

I got 4 trips lined up.

Slow pitch jigging for rockfish and lingcod at San Miguel island out of Santa Barbara in April. And 3 tuna trips out of San Diego in May June and July. 

I get my second plague shot on April 6. It will be good to out in the world again. 

Went out today. Preseason. Two strikes. Nothing landed though. Only lost one fly in the brush. Very relaxing

went out for 2o min. opening day and such...water too high and too brown.  Will try on Sunday morning agauin ...hopefully water will be clearer and lower

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

OK one more, no time to start a new thread.

Maybe we can prevail on a moderator to add an s and just keep this thread until 2030.

Oddly after leaving it alone for a while starting to get a little itch to pursue some salmon in the local rivers, since this is an odd year Pinks should be plentiful & in my experience that puts other species on the bite.

And my daughter is planning a visit this summer & she does like a bit of fishing, couple of nearby lakes should fit the bill for some trout action.

• Like 2

I’m all kinds of excited for next summer’s fishing season. Just ordered the new boat this morning. Unfortunately, won’t get it til halfway through the season, but I can live with that. 

12 hours ago, Monkey said:

I’m all kinds of excited for next summer’s fishing season. Just ordered the new boat this morning. Unfortunately, won’t get it til halfway through the season, but I can live with that. 

What did you order?

1 hour ago, Excoded Tom said:

What did you order?

I went for cheap and simple with a Bayliner Trophy 20. I wanted something small enough to take inland, but big enough to go fishing out on Lake Michigan and it seemed to check all the boxes for my needs. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured I’d ask here instead of gear anarchy, does anyone use Seadek on their fishing boats?  I love it on sailboats, but am concerned how it cleans up after a bloody fish has been flopping around. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Take Your Dad to Work Day"...couple hundred pounds of Amberjack in the fishbox...plus this tag from Jr...

Screenshot_20210507-224847.png

• Like 3

Went down to the creek to watch the sun set yesterday and a neighbor was down there with a little baitcasting rod (like you'd use to fish for bass around here). He was casting a lure, hoping for one of the snook or small tarpon feeding on the surface.

Suddenly, the surface erupted 15 yards or so off the dock as he hooked a tarpon that was probably 80 lbs or more. I started frantically trying to extract my phone from my pocket. Missed the first couple of jumps. Often, that's all the jumps you get, but I kept the camera pointed at the creek and got this:

CreekTarponUncrop.jpg

OK, so you can't see much. Phone cameras have gotten good enough that the cropped version is OK.

CreekTarponCrop.jpg

The fight didn't last too long after that, since his rod was really made to catch 8 lb fish, not 80 lb ones. He says he's coming back tonight with a bigger one.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Went down to the creek to watch the sun set yesterday and a neighbor was down there with a little baitcasting rod (like you'd use to fish for bass around here). He was casting a lure, hoping for one of the snook or small tarpon feeding on the surface.

Suddenly, the surface erupted 15 yards or so off the dock as he hooked a tarpon that was probably 80 lbs or more. I started frantically trying to extract my phone from my pocket. Missed the first couple of jumps. Often, that's all the jumps you get, but I kept the camera pointed at the creek and got this:

CreekTarponUncrop.jpg

OK, so you can't see much. Phone cameras have gotten good enough that the cropped version is OK.

CreekTarponCrop.jpg

The fight didn't last too long after that, since his rod was really made to catch 8 lb fish, not 80 lb ones. He says he's coming back tonight with a bigger one.

Is tarpon good eating?

2 hours ago, pbd said:

Is tarpon good eating?

No. All bone. Good catching

2 hours ago, burndoc said:
5 hours ago, pbd said:

Is tarpon good eating?

No. All bone. Good catching

Actually there used to be a good sized industry here, catching and cleaning and exporting them to Cuba. This was back when Cuba had money.

Now they're just for catching. Above about 40 inches you're not even allowed to remove them from the water at all, they must be released in the water. Smaller ones can be brought aboard to unhook and then released.

A big one like my neighbor hooked can be a dangerous critter to release. They have sharp gill plates and open them out when they shake their heads. Like having two meat cleavers mounted on a shaking head that you're trying to grab.

That's one reason the best tarpon fight to me is when it throws the hook on the third jump. You got the big excitement of those first powerful jumps and then no further harm comes to the fish or the fisherman.

Tarpon Urban Legends

Some fellas brought a green one aboard their 20' center console.  It thrashed around and broke the console and busted the steering and had to get towed in.

Some fellas took their football player cousin from that place called "Up North" to the El Jo Bridge and gave him a Calcutta pole (8 ft of bamboo with some 100 lb line tied to it) and a big Bomber plug tied to it.  He stirred the plug by the pilings and a tarpon took it.  The tarpon jumped and he pulled and the tarpon came up on the deck.  The cousin never heard them yell stay away from it, no he tackled it.  Three broken ribs and a flattened nose.  

21 hours ago, b green said:

40# WSB Santa Rosa island 

IMG_5874.jpg

That's a very nice White. Wfd, Sir.....

You ever cut out & save their 'earrings'? My Dad had a fuking 1 quart Mayonaise jar 2/3's full of them down here in Baja. After 4:00 pm or so as the sun gets lower we would walk back & forth on 'Long Beach'.....and you'd almost never fail to see 20-30-40 lb. plus Whites in the unbroken waves. Kinda like porpoise......but much better tasting. Depending on the tide and wave height, if you can launch a 2 oz Crocodile out about 5-8 feet ahead of their noses......you'd have dinner fixins within 20 minutes. Love catching these babies.....:lol:

37 minutes ago, b green said:

IMG_5958.jpg.7e04635633ac90704e2a45898909d2a9.jpg                     

20 year old calico, released 5 3/4 #

One of my Top 5 fish.....to fish for.....:lol:

Is it still 2020 in the fishing world?

Here is a bunch of my Orange Beach fishing Bubba's down in Louisiana a couple of days ago getting some Blue Fin.

A Louisiana bluefin tuna weighing in at 683 pounds.

Too bad it was a Marlin tournament...

This Blue was caught up in the Carolinas a couple of weeks ago,

Josiah-VanFleet-Photos-14.jpg

I think you could add both those fish and still not beat this monster from way back, still a record!

OLFQBQN2UWPAXUKXXZDCUYGJWA.jpg

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, b green said:

whats your top 5 list? 

My favorite catch was with my daughter in the inter coastal waterway near St. Jekyll Island.

The fish tasted good, from the water to the pan.  The company made it magnificent.

20 minutes ago, hasher said:

My favorite catch was with my daughter in the inter coastal waterway near St. Jekyll Island.

The fish tasted good, from the water to the pan.  The company made it magnificent.

When did Jekyll get Saint status?

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

When did Jekyll get Saint status?

I think it was around the time those rich fuckers gave it away.  That communist FDR ordered them off the island.

Watch out for the sharks.  They are prolific between Jekyll and St. Simons.

58 minutes ago, b green said:

whats your top 5 list? 

White Seabass, Calicos, Spotfin croaker, Mexican Corvina AND California Corbina. On the lightest tackle I can get by with.....and preferably with a flyrod. I'll also add my #6 favorite....5 lb. Roosters. I can catch 5 of those species right off the beach with zero problems (surf fishing is my favorite type of fishing). Nailing the Calicos however usually requires a surfboard or a small boat.....

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

The Fonz is an avid fisherman. He catches a nice fish and posts a photo.

Then the retards on Twitter go nuts.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/winkler-trout-uproar/

This country gets closer every-fuking-day to becoming more like next Roman Empire....that it's beyond frickin' scary. Screw the vax shots.....and start giving testorone shots. I SERIOUSLY feel sorry for the two generations behind ours......'cuz with mindsets like ^those^.....America is destined to fail......:angry:

2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

This country gets closer every-fuking-day to becoming more like next Roman Empire....that it's beyond frickin' scary. Screw the vax shots.....and start giving testorone shots. I SERIOUSLY feel sorry for the two generations behind ours......'cuz with mindsets like ^those^.....America is destined to fail......:angry:

Fuck those people. I can respect the argument against trophy fishing just to show off, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with fishing for food if done responsibly, as well as catch and release. I throw about 95% back because I don’t really like the taste of most of our local fish, but catching those little bastards is a lot of fun!  Why does everything have to be a trade off?  The best tasting fish seem to live in saltwater, but life is so much easier maintaining a boat in freshwater. 

• Like 1

I hate to show off, but I did land this bad boy last summer. There was a lot of discussion about whether he got let go or went on the wall. In the end, I set him free. 

A5EA0824-0081-456E-97B4-CF7C65D72234.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

I think setting teeniness records in fresh water is kinda cheating.

i did not even know this guy was hooked

489333322_tinyfish.jpg

Got to the boat ramp Tuesday morning all set to head down to the mouth of the harbor and our Suzuki 150 was peeing like an old man with prostate trouble. But we had just bought live shrimp!

Knowing the water pump was on the way out, we decided to fish at the bridge that's right next to the boat ramp. No need to run the motor at speed, we can just idle out there. So we did.

2021-05-25TinySnapper.jpg

And I continued to demonstrate my prowess at catching teeny snappers. My wife did catch a few keepers, so that was nice.

We were using the trolling motor's GPS "anchor" function, which worked pretty well and resulted in only one scrape against bridge pilings. Oops.

Before heading home, we decided to troll along the bridge. The trolling motor can pull the boat along at 4 knots or so at 80% power. At 95% power it was not quite managing 2 knots and making a weird buzzing sound. I guess the terrible rust on it finally got to the insides.

So I've ordered a water pump impeller and the associated gaskets and stuff and am getting ready to buy a new trolling motor. And probably a new power pole too.

• Like 2
On 5/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I think you could add both those fish and still not beat this monster from way back, still a record!

OLFQBQN2UWPAXUKXXZDCUYGJWA.jpg

I am pretty sure I recognize that photo as 1978 or 79 or so, off S.E. Nova Scotia, world record bluefin.

First fish of 2021. Too busy to do much fishing at all. Zero trout. Only been on a stream briefly a few times and two skunkings on the Big Water in March. But we did get our first rockfish of the year the other day:

20210521_193211~2.jpg

• Like 1

The traditional lemming-like parade of boats headed out yesterday for Opening Day of red snapper in our part of The Gulf...Jr. picked up a bonus though...yellowedge grouper...that is some fiiiiiiine eating and somehow missed the owner's/guests' ziplock bags...:ph34r:

Screenshot_20210605-071311~2.png

• Like 2
On 6/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dorado said:

Nice. What port is he fishing out of, and how long of a run to find those ?

Gotta be over 200’ of water with the eyes bulged out like that. I bet he is fishing out of Destin or Pensacola.

• 2 weeks later...

Chartered this boat out of Key Largo Monday and Tuesday. We did OK Monday, a couple of tuna and about 10 dolphin, all schoolies but we never saw an actual school. Just loners. Perhaps they were social distancing or home schooling.

We did encounter schools on Tuesday and one was pretty funny. After running at speed through featureless ocean for half an hour with no signs of fish, the Captain stopped to switch fuel tanks. There was a school of dolphin right under the boat! He didn't have the presence of mind or the deceptive nature to act like he meant to do that!

There are 19 in the pic because of a miscount. We're allowed 20 per day and thought we had that many so quit fishing with more still around the boat.

Oh well. I brought a cooler but wound up having to buy two styro coolers to bring our catch home. Now we have lots of fish put away and, more importantly to me, a pretty large amount of roe too.

My wife had never caught a dolphin before. The one she's holding was the biggest of the trip and the biggest fish of her life so far. Regrettably a male.

The captain and mate cleaned the fish right at that dock and there were a couple of YUGE tarpon that were familiar with that drill. I was having too much fun watching them to remember to get pics and video.

DolphinCatch2021.jpg

• Like 3
On 6/24/2021 at 7:38 AM, 00seven said:

Nice. That's some good eating/

My wife made a Mahi Teriyaki last night. I still call them dolphin but have to admit Mahi sounds better there.

I told a friend that we've been seeing a YUGE tarpon down in the creek so he brought his teenage boy over to try to catch it. They wound up hooking a shark that cut the line, a big catfish, and this little bull shark, which he caught on that hand line that's on the bench.

SSBullSharkShellCr.jpg

On 6/24/2021 at 1:01 PM, Excoded Tom said:

Chartered this boat out of Key Largo Monday and Tuesday. We did OK Monday, a couple of tuna and about 10 dolphin, all schoolies but we never saw an actual school. Just loners. Perhaps they were social distancing or home schooling.

We did encounter schools on Tuesday and one was pretty funny. After running at speed through featureless ocean for half an hour with no signs of fish, the Captain stopped to switch fuel tanks. There was a school of dolphin right under the boat! He didn't have the presence of mind or the deceptive nature to act like he meant to do that!

There are 19 in the pic because of a miscount. We're allowed 20 per day and thought we had that many so quit fishing with more still around the boat.

Oh well. I brought a cooler but wound up having to buy two styro coolers to bring our catch home. Now we have lots of fish put away and, more importantly to me, a pretty large amount of roe too.

My wife had never caught a dolphin before. The one she's holding was the biggest of the trip and the biggest fish of her life so far. Regrettably a male.

The captain and mate cleaned the fish right at that dock and there were a couple of YUGE tarpon that were familiar with that drill. I was having too much fun watching them to remember to get pics and video.

DolphinCatch2021.jpg

Hey @Dorado, are you gonna stand for this???  Could be some of your relatives there!

Went over to the Myakka River mouth on Monday and not much was biting. My wife managed to catch a lizard fish and put it back out for bait. It got mangled by something, probably a shark, that got away. We fled in time to have the boat back on the trailer before a giant thunderstorm swallowed that whole area of the harbor.

Went for a quick trip in the Creek yesterday morning. Another bull shark, this one with someone else's hook already in its mouth. Grandson got lots of shrimp stolen by snappers then hauled in this one with the very last shrimp. Almost 12 inches and pretty fat, a keeper!

2021-06-29CSnapCrk.jpg

I got some new Pompano jigs and tried them on Englewood Beach last Friday morning.  It was the end of a high tide on a 1 tide day and lots of bait.  I have continued my streak of not catching a Pompano.  I did not want to throw the net, so I went around the corner and bought 6 Pinfish.  Another hour of enjoying the beach and not being bothered by catching any fish.  Only killed one Pinnie and freed the rest.

Hey Tom, do you do the Freedom Swim?  I'm not much on swimming, but it is a good reason for a boat ride.  I'm trying to get a younger fella help me take out the Hobie 16 for the first time since my busted hip 2 years ago.  The Hobie is always fun, the Laser was too.  The flats boat and Bro's trawler were just party barges.  The best was pulling the girls on a sailboard hull with the trolling motor.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:26 AM, Ed Lada said:

Hey @Dorado, are you gonna stand for this???  Could be some of your relatives there!

I must confess to a bit of cannibalism from time to time myself

• Like 1
On 6/30/2021 at 6:28 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Hey Tom, do you do the Freedom Swim?  I'm not much on swimming, but it is a good reason for a boat ride.

I was on swimming and water polo teams as a youngster but I've never done it. I have sailed around the swimmers in my Adventure Island. I was astonished and a bit impresssed that no swimmers encountered a propeller. If I wanted to swim across the harbor, I'd pick one of 364 other days. Well, OK, I'm a cold water sissy, so I'd pick another June, July, or August day. Maybe September.

20 hours ago, Dorado said:
On 6/28/2021 at 4:26 AM, Ed Lada said:

I must confess to a bit of cannibalism from time to time myself

I love roe so I only deliberately target females, but there is some bycatch...

Ever seen one gaffed right in the mouth? That was a new one on me.

DolphinGaffMouth.jpg

42 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

I love roe so I only deliberately target females, but there is some bycatch...

Ever seen one gaffed right in the mouth? That was a new one on me.

DolphinGaffMouth.jpg

Hell of a lure there.

Do you eat the roe fresh or cooked?

55 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Hell of a lure there.

Do you eat the roe fresh or cooked?

It never crossed my mind to eat it raw.

I saw a guy toss a big one after cleaning without extracting the roe and I went in after it. Got a roe about the size of my forearm. With one like that, I like to boil it until it's rubbery, slit it and scoop the eggs away from the membrane with a spoon, then drop them into bubbling butter in a pan. They're already cooked. I just like butter. Turn the heat off on the pan more or less right away, add lime juice, Tabasco, maybe some Tony's or Zat's seasoned salt, and eat with bacon and eggs.

That's too much trouble for little roe. Those get fried and eaten whole.