2020 Fishing Thread

3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Fuk me but I can't even afford their free catalogs......

I got a shitload of saltwater flies. What weight rods are you using?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

55 lb bluefin.  Just spent a couple hours with Senor Mariachi. Good fun that.

40# WSB Santa Rosa island 

We finally get a Saturday that Lake Michigan had light winds and laid down nicely for us after a few weeks of big wind and waves.  We fished the warm water outlet (aka the bubbler) at Port Sheldon loo

Posted Images

Just ordered 3 dozen flies from the store you posted up.....but I could always use more....:lol: 

1 minute ago, Dorado said:

I'll be in San Diego on the 15th . . .

Awesome...I need to grab a few more parts for La Bamba and then go see my favorite step sis up in Capo Beach.....I can make a day out of this.....:D

16 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

I love roe so I only deliberately target females, but there is some bycatch...

Ever seen one gaffed right in the mouth? That was a new one on me.

DolphinGaffMouth.jpg

Not sure what the protocal is out on your side of the island.....but we were taught more than 55 years ago on the West Coast (Mainland Mexico, Baja, Guatemala and Costa  Rica) to ALWAYS release the females......

21 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Do they even let you come north of the border anymore ?

I just use Jeff B's military I.D.....and all is good....:D

Well this was a pleasant surprise.....paid 40 pesos ($2.00) for this new reel at my local swap meet last year.....then promptly forgot about it. Turns out they sell for fifty bucks.....:lol:

Screenshot_2021-07-02-16-29-38.png

20210702_162833.jpg

20210702_162856.jpg

20210702_162801.jpg

20210702_162749.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/1/2021 at 11:01 PM, El Mariachi said:

Not sure what the protocal is out on your side of the island.....but we were taught more than 55 years ago on the West Coast (Mainland Mexico, Baja, Guatemala and Costa  Rica) to ALWAYS release the females......

I learned about 50 years ago to slit 'em open and eat their eggs. Been doing it at every opportunity since.

3 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

I learned about 50 years ago to slit 'em open and eat their eggs. Been doing it at every opportunity since.

Well......that's KINDA like catch & release......:lol:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Well......that's KINDA like catch & release......:lol:

Catch and release is just pointlessly torturing fish. I only do it to jacks.

But I think they can spare a few eggs...

Believed to spawn every 2 to 3 days during the spawning season, releasing between 33,000 and 66,000 eggs each time.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dorado said:

55 lb bluefin. 

Just spent a couple hours with Senor Mariachi. Good fun that.

IMG_4269.jpg

Noice!

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

55 lb bluefin. 

Just spent a couple hours with Senor Mariachi. Good fun that.

IMG_4269.jpg

How was the Rickster? That man is a walking train wreck, and I mean that in a good way. Nice fish, was that a charter or did you have a boat.

1 hour ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

How was the Rickster? That man is a walking train wreck, and I mean that in a good way. Nice fish, was that a charter or did you have a boat.

Rico's cool. We've got a lot in common. We could have swapped yarns for days. 

I fished on the Islander out of Fishermen's Landing in San Diego. 1.5 day trip. 34 hours on water.

37 minutes ago, Dorado said:

We've got a lot in common.

Well in all fairness, what man doesn't like hookers and blow?  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Got to the boat ramp early Thursday and the bait store had nothing. At all. As we were launching, the truck showed up with frozen bait, so we at least got some frozen shrimp. It's OK, I've done well with artificial lures and caught lots of fish on frozen shrimp. I had my cast net.

Drove almost an hour down the harbor to Jug Creek Shoals. The place was hopping! Pelicans and seagulls diving everywhere and the sea grass looked more silver than green/brown because it was so stuffed with bait. We could see fish striking all around.

Threw my net and got some pinfish and greenies. We fished that area for about 5 hours, with bait and action around us the whole time. Got two fucking catfish and a needlefish. Still beats working!

1). Happy belated Birthday, Dorado. Was a blast meeting you and your Mrs. Wonderful.....she's definitely a 1st Class keeper. Home your B-Day dinner rocked.

2). And muchas gracias for all of the fishing goodies you selflessly donated to my favorite charity.....me. That was extremely nice of you. 

3). Did you happen to notice that cute blonde in the black leggings that was sitting with me at that smoking section- palapa thingy in the east parking lot, after I left your place around 5-ish? Long story short.....I had to almost carry her back to her room at 1:30 the next morning. Suffice to say.....flight attendants....are still fun.

4). However, the drive back home yesterday was definitely un-fun. What a frickin' fukasco THAT turned out to be. I'll see if I can post up the video I took from the DMZ at the border ....:D

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

And me with no camera!!! You'll have to trust me on this one.

Best day of high elevation fishing I've had in many, many years.

The nicest fish, most fish, best weather and not another human in sight.

All that fun on a 2 acre lake.

Other than the brutal climb to 12.2K above sea level it was splendid.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've taken the newly rebuilt 1963, 14 ft Mitchell boat powered by a Honda 8 the last three Fridays mornings.  I launch at the county ramp on Rocky Creek and fish the islands between the Tom Adams Bridge and Stump Pass in Englewood, FL.  So far I've used 1 ½ gallons of gas.  Unfortunately, Minn Kota is backordered on the trolling motor I want.  I'll do a separate post on the boat's before and after.

The first trip was my first boat ride in nearly 2 years.  I've recovered enough from the broken hip to feel  carefully confident.  Maybe the Hobie 16 in a few months for my 68th birthday.  The little Honda motor runs like a dream, but barely planes and doesn't with a livewell full of water.  Anybody got a free 15 hp 2 stroke?

Pulled up on the edge of the spoil bank along the Intercoastal and chummed and threw the net 6 times and was loaded with Pin Fish & Green Backs.  I Idled over to the island and anchored off my favorite little opening and point.  Drifting a Pinny on a cork along the edge of the bushes, it disappeared.  My first Redfish in 2 years.  I measure it 26 7/8, the man would say it was 27 ½.  Never the less, it happily swam away as they are still closed due to Red Tide 2 years a go.  Left at 7 home at 1.

Next Friday same trip, except the bait started dying in the tank.  Hook a live one and it dies on the first cast.  10:30, wind shifts and a mat of grass and dead fish came to visit.  Home at 11:30.

I may never get Redfish On The Half Shell again.  Dead fish all over Lemon Bay.  One every 10 feet.  home at 9:30.

A Buddy blamed it on Piney Point.  It's more than that.  It's everything we have dumped that has ended up in the Gulf of Mexico.

But as Ratty said to Mole, “There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much doing as simply messing about in boats”. 

• Like 2

Oh man. A pinfish under a popping cork at the old Sevenmile Bridge  . . .

Shit's gonna get real before too long. 

I wonder if I'll ever get around to doing that again. That's good times right there.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Unfortunately, Minn Kota is backordered on the trolling motor I want.  I'll do a separate post on the boat's before and after.

The first trip was my first boat ride in nearly 2 years.  I've recovered enough from the broken hip to feel  carefully confident.  Maybe the Hobie 16 in a few months for my 68th birthday.  The little Honda motor runs like a dream, but barely planes and doesn't with a livewell full of water.  Anybody got a free 15 hp 2 stroke?

My wife found a place that will at least take your order for a trolling motor. I'll ask where if you're interested.

A running Honda 8 can be sold for the purchase price of an old 15 hp Evinrude like mine. I paid $800. If I wanted to sell it today, I'd ask and get $800. You just have to watch and wait long enough and jump on the fresh water ones the moment they appear. 1980's vintage OMC 15's in perfect shape go for $1,300 or so, if the seller knows what he's got. That's what I would have paid at the time.

If you want to bring the boat here and see how it performs with a 15, we can make that happen.

6 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

My wife found a place that will at least take your order for a trolling motor. I'll ask where if you're interested.

A running Honda 8 can be sold for the purchase price of an old 15 hp Evinrude like mine. I paid $800. If I wanted to sell it today, I'd ask and get $800. You just have to watch and wait long enough and jump on the fresh water ones the moment they appear. 1980's vintage OMC 15's in perfect shape go for $1,300 or so, if the seller knows what he's got. That's what I would have paid at the time.

If you want to bring the boat here and see how it performs with a 15, we can make that happen.

Thanks,  I've got one preordered on the polluted South American river outfit.  Supposedly they are holding the old price.

I got the Honda by adverse possession.  My Bro parked it in my garage several years ago.  Free is good and the only time I really need to go faster is from Pineland Marina to the Fish Shacks.

I know how a 15 would push it.  I had a 14' Johnsen from Groveland, FL with a 15.  The Johnsen could have been made  from a plug of the Mitchell.  I punched in Mitchell 14 and found a thread about it and it mentioned Bill Brothers, who used to do fiberglass out at the airport (one of Dad's buddies).   I vaguely remember that he got popped for pulling a plug off a 15' Whaler for the Brothers 15.

Saw photos of a guy from works Dad and Uncle who spent a couple days in the Canyon.  2 swordfish, 2 tuna and 50 Mahi-Mahi!   No more room in the coolers..

17 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I vaguely remember that he got popped for pulling a plug off a 15' Whaler for the Brothers 15.

Hmm... At least he had pretty good taste. I've had two 15 Whalers and am a yuge fan of the boat, but have to say that the Wahoo knockoff is a better boat. Fixes the three things not quite right about the Whaler: a bit more freeboard, a bit more beam, and rated for 90 hp.

1 hour ago, Excoded Tom said:

Hmm... At least he had pretty good taste. I've had two 15 Whalers and am a yuge fan of the boat, but have to say that the Wahoo knockoff is a better boat. Fixes the three things not quite right about the Whaler: a bit more freeboard, a bit more beam, and rated for 90 hp.

The new neighbor has pretty good taste too.  He just brought home his newly restored Aqua Sport 222.  The 196 probably holds the record for the most miles on the bay by one model of boat.

3 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Restored this 17' Aquasport last year...powered by rebuilt/restored mighty 88 Special...:D

Screenshot_20210831-065917~2.png

Screenshot_20210831-070451~2.png

^THAT^.....just looks like pure fuking fun....:lol:

13 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Restored this 17' Aquasport last year...powered by rebuilt/restored mighty 88 Special...:D

Screenshot_20210831-065917~2.png

Screenshot_20210831-070451~2.png

Those V4 “Looper” motors are hard to kill and will damn near run on salt water. 
You got me missing my center console. I sold it to friend that lives by you. She named it Knot a Yacht Too. 

12 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

The new neighbor has pretty good taste too.  He just brought home his newly restored Aqua Sport 222.  The 196 probably holds the record for the most miles on the bay by one model of boat.

They're kind of becoming classic plastic cult items, almost like old Sea Crafts. A friend had a 222 when they were current and we had a blast with it. Our family had a 240, a pretty rare one with OMC stern drive, side console, and cuddy cabin. My uncle had the normal center console 240 with twin outboards. 

On 8/29/2021 at 11:04 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Unfortunately, Minn Kota is backordered on the trolling motor I want.

As I mentioned, my wife found a place that would at least take pre-orders. Estimated delivery date: October 15th.

So yesterday the brown truck showed up with a big, tall, heavy box that says Minn Kota on it. I haven't opened it yet.

OldTrollingMotor.jpg

Not sure what the problem might have been...

The bracket that mounts to the deck is supposed to be held by at least 4, preferably 6, through bolts with fender washers and lock nuts. They managed to get 2 bolts and 2 screws and decided to enhance the connection with what I'm pretty sure is 5200.

The bracket sticks out past the hull, so I got a 2x4 of appropriate length and stood it under the bracket then lowered the tongue of the trailer. A little gap started to open up. I left it that way last night.

Not actually fishing but a pretty funny video of a sting ray trying to eat a conch.

(Fans of classic plastic may recognize the videographer's name. Ken's the youngest son of Bill, President of Sea Craft in the 70's. I got many rides in factory demonstrators from him as a kid.)

• Like 1

Long time ago I docked over night in a NC marina on way to Wilmington and had Scallops in a local seafood place. They used a cookie cutter that looked like a Christmas tree when they cut the scallops out of the Ray.

1 hour ago, Proneshooter said:

Long time ago I docked over night in a NC marina on way to Wilmington and had Scallops in a local seafood place. They used a cookie cutter that looked like a Christmas tree when they cut the scallops out of the Ray.

Well Christmas tree shaped scallops should have been the 1st clue...

Scallop Facts: Habitat, Behavior, Diet

Ran across this on FB. Whack 'em and stack 'em.

ForeverYoungLionfish.jpg

Congrats to the team from Forever Young Charter Company on their 1st place WIN at the Reef Org 2021 Florida Keys Lionfish Tournament! They totaled 564 invasive lionfish setting a new tournament record. #Lionfish #FloridaKeys #Spearfishing #OceanConservation #Diving

• Like 2
16 hours ago, bmiller said:

FTFY

Catching a plump cutt on a 3wt, 5X-7X tippet with bugs ranging down to size 24, at 12K feet is hard to beat breathe.   

Nice chubby catch!

RIMG0592-600x338.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Lake Misurina, near Cortina Italy. 2 brownies, 4 brookies.

Bloody gorgeous, this place. 

If you are that close, why aren't you coming up here to visit????  :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dorado said:

If you had brought your skinny ass to Zurich, I would have brung you some tuna bellies. :P

If ya woulda told me, I would have been on a plane!  Nice shopping mall with an airport attached to it there.