Warning to all my fellow sailors! SELL

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Michigan made >50 person gatherings illegal but exempted religious services.  I was thinking it was a great way to ensure that all the devout thumpers get the sacrament of the covid.

Warren Buffett says that the stock market is the transference of money from the impatient to patient.  It will be interesting to see if he is right this time.  He may be.

I'll bite. A quick survey of the dates of administration press conferences, and the fall of stock prices show a direct correlation.  When administration press conferences were few and far be

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jzk said:

The day Trump took office, the DOW was at 19,804.   Now it is at 24,633.

Trump has done a great job "managing" the economy, right?

Yup. A wonderful gift for us 1%. The record employment levels recorded a year ago caused much distress here in the C suites. The worker were likely to soon demand higher pay. Or start accepting jobs from competing employers offering more. Nobody hates competition more than a true Capitalist. Very upsetting. Trump, having previously taken all the credit for employment numbers, has now singlehandedly rolled the numbers back thru the Obama years to Great Recession levels. MAGA! KAG!

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

Yup. A wonderful gift for us 1%. The record employment levels recorded a year ago caused much distress here in the C suites. The worker were likely to soon demand higher pay. Or start accepting jobs from competing employers offering more. Nobody hates competition more than a true Capitalist. Very upsetting. Trump, having previously taken all the credit for employment numbers, has now singlehandedly rolled the numbers back thru the Obama years to Great Recession levels. MAGA! KAG!

True and by all means we need to extend the lock down until after the election! 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:58 AM, Laker said:

I don't think there will be a free fall, because of so much capital held in things like gold.

Real gold or just gold shares?

On 4/30/2020 at 9:11 PM, jzk said:

Is that you Jerkz?

Great to see the metrics you use to determine progress.

image.png.c45848e34cef99f9c5e8b30085291947.png

6 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Or Gold ETF's, that are supposedly backed by the real stuff.

We are in deep enough shit already, but I have always suspected that a gold 'meltdown' could happen and fuck everything.

But maybe gold has been fully digitised. Just another commodity.

1 hour ago, astro said:

We are in deep enough shit already, but I have always suspected that a gold 'meltdown' could happen and fuck everything.

But maybe gold has been fully digitised. Just another commodity.

Mate if there's a run on gold the ETF's are fucked!!! Not worth the paper they're written on imo

7 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Mate if there's a run on gold the ETF's are fucked!!! Not worth the paper they're written on imo

Of course, that's what I am saying.  Just but one of the many cons in the banking world.

5 hours ago, astro said:

Is that you Jerkz?

Great to see the metrics you use to determine progress.

image.png.c45848e34cef99f9c5e8b30085291947.png

Is that you, dipshit?  You clearly haven't been following the thread very well.  

7 hours ago, jzk said:

Is that you, dipshit?  You clearly haven't been following the thread very well.  

I don't read all of yours.  I just see the avatar, the contents of your posts are predictable.

1 hour ago, astro said:

I don't read all of yours.  I just see the avatar, the contents of your posts are predictable.

Well, dipshit, if you read the thread you would see the other dipshits here besides you trying to make the case that the president caused the stock market to plummet.  But then they were no where to be found when it bounced back.

The President currently plays a minor role in the success or failure of our economy.  Trump has hurt the economy with his tariff and immigration policies and helped it by cutting regulation.  It would be preferable, however, that the President play no role in our economy whatsoever.  

10 minutes ago, jzk said:

Well, dipshit, if you read the thread you would see the other dipshits here besides you trying to make the case that the president caused the stock market to plummet.  But then they were no where to be found when it bounced back.

image.png.7adef487f60bfe7541533a3461906ca4.png

I don't give a fuck about the stock market.  People like you are the fucking problem.

The Stock Market is the fucking problem and the sooner it totally implodes the fucking better.  Rid the fucking world of bottom feeding parasites on humanity.

That includes you.

13 minutes ago, astro said:

image.png.7adef487f60bfe7541533a3461906ca4.png

I don't give a fuck about the stock market.  People like you are the fucking problem.

The Stock Market is the fucking problem and the sooner it totally implodes the fucking better.  Rid the fucking world of bottom feeding parasites on humanity.

That includes you.

Good luck with that, dipshit.   Throughout history, there are always those that would get "rid" of those people they don't like.  Mankind has mostly learned this lesson.  That is why you don't have any power, and you aren't going to get any.  

1 minute ago, jzk said:

Good luck with that, dipshit.   Throughout history, there are always those that would get "rid" of those people they don't like.  Mankind has mostly learned this lesson.  That is why you don't have any power, and you aren't going to get any.  

I hope the entire financial system dies a quick death.  It's a fucking evil leach taking the life force out of those who really do work, then when it gets into trouble rolls on it back, pissing itself in submission and asks for help.

I have no need for power, only weak people want power, people like you.

1 minute ago, astro said:

I hope the entire financial system dies a quick death.  It's a fucking evil leach taking the life force out of those who really do work, then when it gets into trouble rolls on it back, pissing itself in submission and asks for help.

I have no need for power, only weak people want power, people like you.

Well, dipshit, what would working people do without a financial system?  How would they buy a house or a car or have a machine available for them to operate at work?

13 minutes ago, jzk said:

There is a good article in The Economist about the dislocation between the stock market and the actual economy.  I was interested in a course on the stock market as part of my MBA that outlined the stock market since the 1750 when it came from the coffee houses in London. It came to the result that over all time the adjusted return was 0.  Needless to say, I don't muddy my feet in that particular cistern.

3 minutes ago, jzk said:

Well, dipshit, what would working people do without a financial system?  How would they buy a house or a car or have a machine available for them to operate at work?

That is not the function of the stock market.  It is supposed to be, but isn't by a long stretch.

1 minute ago, Laker said:

There is a good article in The Economist about the dislocation between the stock market and the actual economy.  I was interested in a course on the stock market as part of my MBA that outlined the stock market since the 1750 when it came from the coffee houses in London. It came to the result that over all time the adjusted return was 0.  Needless to say, I don't muddy my feet in that particular cistern.

That is not the function of the stock market.  It is supposed to be, but isn't by a long stretch.

Dipshit didn't say "stock market."  Dipshit said "financial system."

What the fuck happen

10 minutes ago, jzk said:

What the fuck happened to your last research assistant.

So much you still need to learn.

16 hours ago, astro said:

Real gold or just gold shares?

One of my department heads used to "invest" in gold futures contract options.

A lot of real value there.

10 minutes ago, astro said:
22 minutes ago, jzk said:

What the fuck happened to your last research assistant.

So much you still need to learn.

I see JerKZ has found a new term to rely on - dipshit instead of clown. Still a one trick pony though.

Ironic that he is also the prime definition of both terms.

1 minute ago, Laker said:

Did not Astro refer to the stock market? Wrong dipshit I guess.

For a bit, dipshit was talking about the stock market, but then hoped that "entire financial system" would die a quick death.  

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

One of my department heads used to "invest" in gold futures contract options.

A lot of real value there.

If the description needs explanation about what the fuck it is, then it's a con.

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I see JerKZ has found a new term to rely on - dipshit instead of clown. Still a one trick pony though.

Ironic that he is also the prime definition of both terms.

It seems I have a stalker.  What happened to the 1000 times you said you were ignoring me?

54 minutes ago, Laker said:

There is a good article in The Economist ... It came to the result that over all time the adjusted return was 0.  Needless to say, I don't muddy my feet in that particular cistern.

My adjusted return is about zero. Massive gains in stock over the past 30 years but absolutely adjusted to zero by boats, broads and booze.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, El Boracho said:
1 hour ago, Laker said:

There is a good article in The Economist ... It came to the result that over all time the adjusted return was 0.  Needless to say, I don't muddy my feet in that particular cistern.

My adjusted return is about zero. Massive gains in stock over the past 30 years but absolutely adjusted to zero by boats, broads and booze.

Well, in that case, I hope your gains were net and not gross.

And it wasn't the broads who were massive

- DSK

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, in that case, I hope your gains were net and not gross.

And it wasn't the broads who were massive

Well I'm no accountant, but it looks like the wife is making some stay-at-home related gross gains. However the emotional toll of that is somewhat offset by what looks like some stock buys I made very near the COVID-19 bottom...so far so good. I'll be able to afford her feed.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 7:11 AM, jzk said:

First the stock market DOW is only 16 stocks, so only about 50% of americans +/- are in the market, the market is also be controlled by the FED Repro $ , and QE, to shore it up. Also the market is not the economy as 50% are not in the "market", Homeless #'s up, People not making car payments, is up, unemployment #'s up. The bond curve is is in the gutter, Major stores and Mall going bankrupt, so I guess Trump is doing a great job

OK, so where can I buy a sailboat reeeeeel cheap? 

31 ft., racer/cruiser, fast as hell, needs zero work. 

Hmmmm, wait a minute -Maybe I'll just keep my S2 7.9 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

OK, so where can I buy a sailboat reeeeeel cheap? 

31 ft., racer/cruiser, fast as hell, needs zero work. 

Hmmmm, wait a minute -Maybe I'll just keep my S2 7.9 

Good little boat.  Close to the formula I had for a while, one just like this one.  Sold it just before the world went to shit.

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

How were you able to raise the mainsail through the Bimini ? (Humor alert) 

That wasn't my boat.  Same model though, I used a boom tent with battens when anchored.

Your alert was not required.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's official, I'm out of it for the forseeable future. Rule one is if you don't understand what's going on, don't invest in it. I had a modest understanding of investing, markets, equities and bonds and have been comfortably retired on that income for roughly 13 years. I've made some mistakes along the way, but by and large I've kept my head above water.  

I've basically expected that sooner or later Trump would do something so magnificently stupid that the business world would finally give in and retract.   Tarriff wars, deficit spending, total lack of cohesive foreign policy, insane unemployment numbers, street upheaval, covid bubbles, military chest thumping, secret meetings with Putin, and just plain idiocy, beyond the modest 30% pullback in March, nothing seems to faze investor confidence.

Furthermore, the bond market, with yields at or approaching 0, continue to rise almost in synch with the equities markets despite the fact that the only direction yields can go is up, hence diminishing bond values.

I admit it, I paniced in March and liquidated all my investments into money market accounts fairly early in the slide. I'd salted away a year's reserve in savings so I won't have to dip into the investment till, but have just come to realize I don't have a clue what's driving the markets, so I'm just not gonna be an investor for awhile until I can figure out what's going on.

The saddest thing for me is that I fear when Trump is defeated in the Nov. election, the market will see it as bad for business due to the re-instatement of sensible reforms and regulations rolled back by Trump and will thus contract.

Anyone have any ideas, opinions, guesses, projections they want to share?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Well, it's official, I'm out of it for the forseeable future. Rule one is if you don't understand what's going on, don't invest in it. I had a modest understanding of investing, markets, equities and bonds and have been comfortably retired on that income for roughly 13 years. I've made some mistakes along the way, but by and large I've kept my head above water.  

I've basically expected that sooner or later Trump would do something so magnificently stupid that the business world would finally give in and retract.   Tarriff wars, deficit spending, total lack of cohesive foreign policy, insane unemployment numbers, street upheaval, covid bubbles, military chest thumping, secret meetings with Putin, and just plain idiocy, beyond the modest 30% pullback in March, nothing seems to faze investor confidence.

Furthermore, the bond market, with yields at or approaching 0, continue to rise almost in synch with the equities markets despite the fact that the only direction yields can go is up, hence diminishing bond values.

I admit it, I paniced in March and liquidated all my investments into money market accounts fairly early in the slide. I'd salted away a year's reserve in savings so I won't have to dip into the investment till, but have just come to realize I don't have a clue what's driving the markets, so I'm just not gonna be an investor for awhile until I can figure out what's going on.

The saddest thing for me is that I fear when Trump is defeated in the Nov. election, the market will see it as bad for business due to the re-instatement of sensible reforms and regulations rolled back by Trump and will thus contract.

The stock market at the moment seems to be levitating. I have no idea why stocks are trading at such high valuations with the business environment being so fucked up. Airlines and cruise lines up 12% or more today, which makes no sense whatsoever. I'm staying out until things settle down.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Willin' said:

If electing Biden guaranteed that the knee-jerk market dropped 25% overnight, I'd ask for a 30% drop if we could tRump's number be painfully (for him) worse.

Because, as you know, there is nothing like a stable Democratic period of governance to get the markets to come back and the economy to steadily grow.  You could look it up.

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The stock market at the moment seems to be levitating. I have no idea why stocks are trading at such high valuations with the business environment being so fucked up. Airlines and cruise lines up 12% or more today, which makes no sense whatsoever. I'm staying out until things settle down.

LOL.....I won't bother wasting my breath .....but I did post a graph or explanation a while back...I guess it is on this thread somewhere 

15 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Well I did the opposite, went all money market the day after Trump was elected and I looked like an idiot for the last three years.  Then I went all in mutuals on March 24th (Damn missed the bottom by one day).  Now I look like a genius.  I'm neither and it's all gambling.  This market makes no sense to me other than the Feds and States flooding the populace and big business with straight cash is propping it up.  The good thing I suppose is deficit amnesia is strong amongst the elk and some real people were helped out.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Nope, no projections from me. But I did the opposite as you. Bought AAPL heavily very near the bottom, just before the bottom, in March. Scary.

I had thought that alcoholic beverages would do well in the current mess. They often do well in these times, and recessions. But have been a bit disappointed. Hopefully a lot of Henny got looted and the shops will re-order.

Come next year the team may be Biden, Schumer and Pelosi (right?). No financial, corporate or regulatory-adverse people will be frightened by these very well known politicians. Even if Warren is VP, as VPs don't ever do anything unless someone croaks. Most business types would likely prefer Schumer to McConnell because the logjam of spending and such might be cut loose.

Historically the (D) team has a better record of pulling the economy out of recession. If Trump wins again I would probably shift my money to bullion, booze, bullets, boats and broads. Worked well in the past.

While using the treasury market as a savings bank is a swell idea. Playing it for gains is silly in my opinion because the opponents are so huge and powerful. Their goals, unlike (ideal) listed corporations, are not necessarily profits for the shareholders.

However I do not fault the choices you made. Perfectly reasonable in the conditions.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Historically the (D) team has a better record of pulling the economy out of recession. If Trump wins again I would probably shift my money to bullion, booze, bullets, boats and broads. Worked well in the past.

sounds good, looking at a used beneteau slow 50  , naming it "catch me if you can"

The market is so rigged right now, Printing REPRO /QE money , Fake unemployment #'s 

The stock market is not the ecomony, and only 50% of american's own stock, 

Just brought a house in Hobe sound fl, and it's already underwater, Like real water, roads flooded, you need a kayak to play golf, and the hurricane season is in the first week and we're already up to "C", going to be a long hot fun summer.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Keith said:

As long as the fed keeps pumping cash into the markets, little will change. 

Volatility will continue to rule the day.

If Trump figures he could win by buying votes, like with another 10 trillion dollars of market support, he will absolutely do it. Fuck the future. 

42 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

If Trump figures he could win by buying votes, like with another 10 trillion dollars of market support, he will absolutely do it. Fuck the future. 

He already said publicly that he won't be around for the consequences.

That's all that matters - not even his children and grandchildren.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:36 AM, Keith said:

It's a leveraged buy-out of the 2nd largest economy in the world. Put a huge debt burden on the average person (the citizens/workers) and stuff the money into the pockets at the top of the pyramid.... where have we seen this before?

Oddly enough, Mitt Romney, who did precisely this for about 15 years and made an incredible fuck-ton of money for himself, has spoken out against this process.

- DSK

On 6/6/2020 at 3:36 AM, Keith said:

Can you explain this mechanism to me in simple terms? How does the Fed manipulate markets?

As far as volatility... sigh... remember when 2-3% daily market swings only happened under extraordinary circumstances? The good ol' days.

7 hours ago, Willin' said:

Can you explain this mechanism to me in simple terms? How does the Fed manipulate markets?

As far as volatility... sigh... remember when 2-3% daily market swings only happened under extraordinary circumstances? The good ol' days.

Here's a little reading, some is short and some is a little long...

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/coronavirus-market-crash-account-bank-of-england-andrew-hauser-2020-6-1029282125

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/05/investing-asia-pacific-markets-jump-as-much-as-49percent-from-march-lows.html

This one is a little long, but has an enlightening "opinion" on where we are at and where we are heading.

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/6/wall-street-coronavirus-pandemic-recession

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Willin' said:

I tried to answer this question like 10 times without expressing my deep contempt for the process, deleted, tried again.. here's my shot at it.

1)  The FED has a very strong capability to influence borrowing costs.  Many companies use borrowing to make up for lost revenue and fund growth (i.e,. acquisitions).  When interest rates are incredibly low, this creates a very long runway to borrow money to keep your business afloat or, in some cases, appear much more profitable than you really are, without having to make structural changes.  Investors like profit, even if its just shell-game profit.

2)  The FED buys up debt and provides cash.  One of the big problems with the housing crisis was that the 'mortgage backed securities' were so complicated that no one knew how much they were really worth.  Wall Street hates uncertainty more than anything.  So the FED started trading T-Bills that it bought in step 1 for securities no one wanted.  "Unknown" becomes "Known" and the FED doesn't care if it holds those 'Unknown' securities - it can hold them to maturity if necessary.  You'll frequently hear about the FED 'Balance Sheet' - Broadly, that's the amount of debt they've bought up in exchange for cash.

So they have two direct and powerful effects on the stock market - they make borrowing money really cheap and they provide 'liquidity' for investors by buying up debt no one wants.

As part of the COVID stimulus, this was extended to other kinds of debt include municipal debt and some corporate debt.  They have other mechanisms but those are the most powerful tools on the macro scale.

31 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

I tried to answer this question like 10 times without expressing my deep contempt for the process, deleted, tried again.. here's my shot at it.

1)  The FED has a very strong capability to influence borrowing costs.  Many companies use borrowing to make up for lost revenue and fund growth (i.e,. acquisitions).  When interest rates are incredibly low, this creates a very long runway to borrow money to keep your business afloat or, in some cases, appear much more profitable than you really are, without having to make structural changes.  Investors like profit, even if its just shell-game profit.

2)  The FED buys up debt and provides cash.  One of the big problems with the housing crisis was that the 'mortgage backed securities' were so complicated that no one knew how much they were really worth.  Wall Street hates uncertainty more than anything.  So the FED started trading T-Bills that it bought in step 1 for securities no one wanted.  "Unknown" becomes "Known" and the FED doesn't care if it holds those 'Unknown' securities - it can hold them to maturity if necessary.  You'll frequently hear about the FED 'Balance Sheet' - Broadly, that's the amount of debt they've bought up in exchange for cash.

So they have two direct and powerful effects on the stock market - they make borrowing money really cheap and they provide 'liquidity' for investors by buying up debt no one wants.

As part of the COVID stimulus, this was extended to other kinds of debt include municipal debt and some corporate debt.  They have other mechanisms but those are the most powerful tools on the macro scale.

Do we need any more descriptions of complete fucking insanity?

And you all wonder why the USA is fucked.

40 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

Thanks very much. Jeeze, no wonder the markets are flourishing despite such a dismal business environment and missed earnings guidances.

3 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Thanks very much. Jeeze, no wonder the markets are flourishing despite such a dismal business environment and missed earnings guidances.

Incredibly low interest rates and high liquidity have a number of perverse side effects.

My personal anger is largely reserved for REITs and the what would be considered the 'starter' home market.

8 minutes ago, Willin' said:

There's your problem right there.

HugeElatedEelelephant-size_restricted.gi

You seem to be missing the most fundamental concept of Keynesian economics - government should borrow (create money) & spend in bad economic times and pay off that debt in good times.

The problem is not the borrowing & spending - or "quantitative easing" as they currently like to call it - it's that the stupid fuckers do it in good times and bad.

What is going on right now is exactly what should be going on in these conditions to prevent an economic collapse and depression..

The problem will come when things get back to normal and the stupid, greedy fuckers continue to do it instead of paying for what is being spent now.

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with our "Financial People".

She advised that we are currently 1% down over the end of December - because we didn't panic and sell low.

So much for the thread title.

She had one client who insisted on getting out back in March - they are down over 40%.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I just got off the phone with our "Financial People".

She advised that we are currently 1% down over the end of December - because we didn't panic and sell low.

So much for the thread title.

She had one client who insisted on getting out back in March - they are down over 40%.

Good for you!

I'm still ahead from when I sold out, but each profolio is different.

So when do you sell? until then it's only a zig-zag line, so my thought is the only time you make money ,on the market is when you sell,

My question of the day , what's going to happen when the fed stops printing money. I still feel this market is rigged, with all the shadow banking , QE and repro money printed every night,  I never trust "Financial People", they make their money whether the market goes up or down , and every time you/they make a trade,  you lose!

My next prediction , Nov. the market crashes, 1- trump wins so he doesn't have to have the fake market/economy to keep going . or  Biden wins and the scam ends and lots of people go to jail.  

I closed an account that was supposed to be a specially managed blah-blah-blah fund that had lost about 40% in the CoviD-19 panic, at least I had the chance to chew the ass of the stupid manager who had nothing but excuses. Who would have thought that the stock market would drop in a FUCKING PLAGUE?!!?!?

But I reinvested that money and of course almost everything was down; so now it's back up and the things I bought bounced up higher than the stupid-ass fund.

This little market dipsy-doodle has not raised my opinion of ETFs in general.

- DSK

another quick story , I started a IRA for 5 k back years ago, and it got passed a long to a manager , down here in Fl. so one day I wanted to just be in 5 stocks , GE, Microsoft, toyota, , and two others , So I called my "broker " and tell him this, So he says lets look at my portfolio , to see where he could move the money around, so he says I have a Iowa water company? wtf How the hell did I get an midwest water co. ( looking it up, it wasn't doing anything) and another one his clients wanted to dump it , so that's how I ended up with it?

So then I say buy GE which at the time was low, he said he wouldn't as it was an Obama stock, WTF, I want to make $$$ not worry about politics , I told his manager that and of course he lied, I move all my $$ to vanguard funds and took 5K to 50K, self managed . 

So after that I never trusted a broker again. I think Broker comes from word "going broke".

also going back to 2006/7 a cnbc $$ guy kept saying we're in a goldilocks economy, "that work out well?" Funny that same guy is an advisor to Trump "Ludlow"