Old Bay is OK, but way too commercial.  "Real" crab seasoning is done by local recipe and like stuffed Ham, varies by almost zip code down here on the Bay.  Ours is mixed by a local market in Ridge, MD and we buys it by the quart container.  Since we cook crabs every couple of weeks in the summer, we go through a lot of it.  Most recipes are variations on one of these  https://www.bluecrab.info/recipes/seasoning.htm

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Old Bay is OK, but way too commercial.  "Real" crab seasoning is done by local recipe and like stuffed Ham, varies by almost zip code down here on the Bay.  Ours is mixed by a local market in Ridge, MD and we buys it by the quart container.  Since we cook crabs every couple of weeks in the summer, we go through a lot of it.  Most recipes are variations on one of these  https://www.bluecrab.info/recipes/seasoning.htm

My Great Grandmother made her own as well - but, after she passed, nobody else picked it up.  Living in the Shenandoah Valley - I can still get Old Bay.   Her crabcakes and scratch biscuits are still the best I've ever had - w/some cold cucumber and onion salad and cheese in your coffee, HmmMMM 

I've been working on a version of Chex Mix with Old Bay, not easy to improve on a Chex Mix, but I have a few years to work on it.

It was a "mission" somewhat endowed to me by an old man at a crawdad boil, he asked me to work on it for him, and then he told me that he has personal knowledge that most astronauts were given smokeless cigarettes to keep them calm in times of stress, basically just micronized nicotine and starch, inhaled as a powder, like those old candy cigarettes.

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

- w/some cold cucumber and onion salad and cheese in your coffee, HmmMMM 

?

What am I missing here?  There has to be some reference I lost.

Just now, Windward said:

?

What am I missing here?  There has to be some reference I lost.

A couple of lower eastern shore favorites:   Peel & Slice cucumbers, sweet vidalia onions, and chop up some scallions - soak 'em in a mix of white vinegar, water and sugar, and serve chilled.    A family breakfast usually includes freshly made scratch biscuits - there was always a block of cheese on the table, and a favorite way to enjoy both was to cut off a hunk of cheese, dump it in the last drink of your hot coffee, let it melt, fish it out w/a fork to put on your biscuit.   

• Like 2
1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

A couple of lower eastern shore favorites:   Peel & Slice cucumbers, sweet vidalia onions, and chop up some scallions - soak 'em in a mix of white vinegar, water and sugar, and serve chilled.    A family breakfast usually includes freshly made scratch biscuits - there was always a block of cheese on the table, and a favorite way to enjoy both was to cut off a hunk of cheese, dump it in the last drink of your hot coffee, let it melt, fish it out w/a fork to put on your biscuit.   

Huh!  Well that may just qualify as the tidbit I learn for Feb 27, 2020.

And I still have coffee left!  What to do next...

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Just cut to the chase.

Image result for zatarains boil

This ^^

Whenever I'm down in the bayou for some time before or after getting on/off the rig I go to a small mom & pop store in Houma, Louisiana for some homemade seasoning for crawfish boils.  Crawfish, summer sausage, mushrooms and small corn on the cobs added to the mix.  Only way to do it.  Works well with boiling blue crabs as well I have recently found out.

52 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

JK, 

Been a bit sporty out on the Gulf lately? You catching anything while out at the rigs?

No one really fishes off the rig out here.  I have had some sport fishing boats come out and nail some decent sized yellowfins.  A few days ago when our ROV was going down a marlin swam around it for a minute at around 280 ft down.  There are a bunch of crabs hanging round the well head on the bottom (3503 ft depth), look like miniature snow crabs.

8 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

My Great Grandmother made her own as well - but, after she passed, nobody else picked it up.   Her crabcakes and scratch biscuits are still the best I've ever had -

any recipes?  

my FIL was a chef,  never wrote anything down, his daughters to lazy to learn, including my wife,   some good recipes lost,  especially his hunter's stew

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

any recipes?  

my FIL was a chef,  never wrote anything down, his daughters to lazy to learn, including my wife,   some good recipes lost,  especially his hunter's stew

Not for her seasoning, but, I've got a few for other things, like her crabcakes, pineapple upside down cake and broiled striper. 

On 2/27/2020 at 9:45 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Have to profess my life-long enjoyment of the product, and seeing the logo makes me smile.   I suspect there are others, so in the interest of sharing: 

Old Bay Gear

I get it that it’s a marketers world out there and any open pocket is ripe to be picked,  but going from seasoning to adding a line of clothing and accessories. I could see staying in the cooking genre.  Seems like a move of desperation...

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I get it that it’s a marketers world out there and any open pocket is ripe to be picked,  but going from seasoning to adding a line of clothing and accessories. I could see staying in the cooking genre.  Seems like a move of desperation...

Or a sign of the times.

15 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

my friend was  gynecologist,  his line of t-shirts didn't sell too well

Old Bay? Really? Does anyone really use that crap anymore?

It's like the Betty Crocker super seasoning of the 1960s.

Say! Does any one here want a Little Blue Nun!?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Lots of Zatarains at the Grabbler household yesterday...

IMG_8181.jpg

DAMN! Those are some fine lookin' mud bugs!

6 minutes ago, lamorak said:

Love me some Royal Reds.  I load up at Joe Patti's every time I'm in the area...

Heads on of course!

Drop by the next time you are here on the Redneck Riviera lamorak. Perdido Pass isn't far from Joe Patti's.