Cars you dream about owning someday

I should have kept this one.  I still kick myself for selling it, and that was over 20 years ago.  

1967. Complete restoration.  Nothing was skipped.   

67 front.jpg

67 rear.jpg

Interior 1.jpg

Interior 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously sexy; Alpine A110 Berlinette 1300G  

I want the first car I bought back again.  

Every car I've ever owned. I still have the last three.  I wish I still had the Mercedes 2.3 16v Cosworth and the 348 Spider  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Windward said:
On 1/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, bmiller said:

Thats pretty cool.   I don't think I would modify it as much, but to each their own.   120k in build, ouch.  Bid at 45k now.

You have to really resent your fillings to drive one of those things.

1 hour ago, chester said:

sigh...if i was granted so much money that spending 10's of thousands of dollars on a restomod was possible i would probably looking at the FJ wagon maybe a 60

FJ60 Land Cruiser Front Three-Quarter

I would really like a 60, but it's insane what they go for.

There's a 55 down in Denver that looks nice.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-toyota-fj55/

1979_toyota_fj55_16074542329d78f42a5d886

Back in '89, I worked for a whitewater rafting/off-road/jetboat tour company in Moab, Utah that had a huge fleet of those old LandCruisers.  

I've often wondered whatever happened to them.  Probably sold them off, back before they were worth anything.  

1918622_101530843217534_6111518_n.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

I would really like a 60, but it's insane what they go for.

There's a 55 down in Denver that looks nice.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-toyota-fj55/

1979_toyota_fj55_16074542329d78f42a5d886

15k at this point for that old girl is looking fantastic!  but I need the "looks like 1979 on the outside but drives and comforts like 2021"...which i guessing costs an additional 0? 

31 minutes ago, chester said:

15k at this point for that old girl is looking fantastic!  but I need the "looks like 1979 on the outside but drives and comforts like 2021"...which i guessing costs an additional 0? 

6 days to go on BaT, it will be at least twice that when it sells.

22 hours ago, chester said:

At one point in my life that extra $100 was a dealbreaker on toys.

Now, as you point out, it is that stupid zero they keep adding to the end of the number...  

I had an R56 Cooper S for about 5 years. Loved that car. It was completely impractical and mechanically shit but went round corners like it was on rails. Life moved on and my lifestyle and family needs saw it replaced by a boring SUV. 

If I could I’d go back to Mini in a heartbeat. Simply for the go-kart feel. Specifically the F56 JCW hatch. Just enough power for everyday life (quicker than a Porsche 911 between 80 and 120km/h).

Large%20Image_12.jpg?itok=6_02RA4d

10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

definitely one of the ugliest cars made

The RX-8 isn't much of a looker either, and the BMW has suicide doors as well. At first I hated the look of the i3, but having driven one the design actually makes a lot of sense, being free from the ICE-constraints of design. And that's coming from a current Alfa Romeo owner.

The i3 does look better in "S"-spec though with a wider track, lowering springs, arch extensions and wider tires. Especially in a darker colour.

I would actually go as far saying, that the i3 is more fun to drive than both the Porsches I've driven and the MX-5 that I used to own. I would put my money where my mouth is at, if I had acces to charging facilities at my apartment complex.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Would be a great buy for the original selling dealer.

Oops.  Just checked. Courtesy Ford closed in 2007.  

On 1/6/2021 at 12:00 PM, Winston29 said:

Back in '89, I worked for a whitewater rafting/off-road/jetboat tour company in Moab, Utah that had a huge fleet of those old LandCruisers.  

I've often wondered whatever happened to them.  Probably sold them off, back before they were worth anything.  

1918622_101530843217534_6111518_n.jpg

So glad I got to spend even just a few days in Moab in person and many more days in the region thanks to Edward Abbey.  If you're not familiar with this publication, you (and anybody else interested) may get a kick out of it.  Canyon Country Zephyr.  https://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/2020/11/30/the-december-january-issue-of-the-zephyr-5/.   image.thumb.png.e0e98c2bb0a13af9eb97612221488221.png

On 1/8/2021 at 1:09 AM, Misbehavin' said:

The RX-8 isn't much of a looker either, and the BMW has suicide doors as well. At first I hated the look of the i3, but having driven one the design actually makes a lot of sense, being free from the ICE-constraints of design. And that's coming from a current Alfa Romeo owner.

The i3 does look better in "S"-spec though with a wider track, lowering springs, arch extensions and wider tires. Especially in a darker colour.

I would actually go as far saying, that the i3 is more fun to drive than both the Porsches I've driven and the MX-5 that I used to own. I would put my money where my mouth is at, if I had acces to charging facilities at my apartment complex.

RX-8 is a million times nicer looking than the i3    ,  hell the smart car is better looking than an i3

58 minutes ago, warbird said:

76705916-770-0@2X.thumb.jpg.677ddc92e8ab6b3067d34b4a0a67c09c.jpg

$100k on Hemmings. Another one of those "extra 0s":mellow:

At that price it's a replica.

Looks like a good one though.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:
22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

RX-8 is a million times nicer looking than the i3    ,  hell the smart car is better looking than an i3

OK boomer

Hell, Roseanne is better looking than the i3.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Hell, Roseanne is better looking than the i3.

It's different, but not that fugly.  Someone in our hood has one and I pass it several times a week.  I bet it would perform as good as the WRX and have much more forgiving suspension when hitting minor bumps and potholes, which the WRX transmit right to my seat.  But don't want to spend 40k on a daily driver.   Maybe a used Tesla model 3?  I would like to go electric though...  Probably spend a couple hundred month on gas, with my 36 mile RT daily work commute...

• Like 1

It's different,,, and it's exactly that ugly.

It's not cute ugly like the Smart, the 500, the Beetle etc.

It's just butt ugly.

5fa9c28a53d2c.image.jpg?resize=1396,594

Admittedly some years of the Matador were dreadful, and the brown/beige color choices didn't help.

Some looked ok, and passable.  (the bug eyed two headlight grill was regrettable...)

42 minutes ago, Misbehavin' said:

Yee-haw! Do you get a mullet-haircut for free when you buy one of those?

And, nice american british AC Cobra there, mate.

Are you a bit slow?

Back to your dream car.

Actually, it does look a lot like a short bus.

image.png.d3f6c528bb59c7e3f98ca31e00220eda.png

Oh, and by the way, the only British AC component in the Cobra was the shell - beaten out by a bunch of wino's under a bridge according to Shelby.

1 hour ago, Windward said:

5fa9c28a53d2c.image.jpg?resize=1396,594

Admittedly some years of the Matador were dreadful, and the brown/beige color choices didn't help.

Some looked ok, and passable.  (the bug eyed two headlight grill was regrettable...)

The Machine used to surprise a lot of SS 396 Chevelle owners.

There was a two or three year Brief Shining Moment in the sorry history of AMC when they made some nice cars.

'68 - '70 IIRC

image.png.e638411285af4b02f421638a5cb08908.pngimage.png.74936219dd6f7d0678f5f02d047ad684.pngimage.png.bee44013abadc1ea4a1b2d66aacb7b83.pngimage.png.39e635ed0b6f2eaed0da0b7b8901014a.pngimage.png.98d968deebe730c47240b9cd2440a231.png

49 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

My uncle had the first of these,

Alabama State Police 1971 AMC Javelin | Amc javelin, American motors, Amc

His was unmarked and had a trunk full of riot guns, rifles and body armour though. Still fast though...

So that's a Javelin?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Are you a bit slow?

Back to your dream car.

Oh, and by the way, the only British AC component in the Cobra was the shell - beaten out by a bunch of wino's under a bridge according to Shelby.

don't turn into woody posting ugly shit..

• Like 1

not necessarily owning, but driving... which i did. it was hard to wipe to grin off my face afterwards

FORTY LAMBORGHINI HURACÁN GT3S READY FOR GLOBAL CHALLENGE

• Like 1
5 hours ago, footlong said:

So that's a Javelin?

Yes, it is a Javelin and that is the name of the car when intrcduced in 1968.  Gen I body style was from 1968 - 1970 and the cop car photo is Gen II body style from 1971 - 1974.  Had bucket seats up front and a rear bench seat in the rear.  Engines available were: I-6 232, V8 290 and a V8 343.

AMX came out mid-year 1968 and was a two-seater from 1968 - 1970.  Engines available were all V8s: 290, 343 and a 390.  By 1971 the two-seat version was dropped and AMX became a trim kit for the Javelin in the earlier 1970s and then devolved into trim kits for the Hornet, Concord and finally the Spirit.  Only the 1968-70 two-seat version draws collector interest.

Mine is all original, un-restored and has about 23,000 miles.

1968 AMX.JPG

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Yes, it is a Javelin and that is the name of the car when intrcduced in 1968.  Gen I body style was from 1968 - 1970 and the cop car photo is Gen II body style from 1971 - 1974.  Had bucket seats up front and a rear bench seat in the rear.  Engines available were: I-6 232, V8 290 and a V8 343.

AMX came out mid-year 1968 and was a two-seater from 1968 - 1970.  Engines available were all V8s: 290, 343 and a 390.  By 1971 the two-seat version was dropped and AMX became a trim kit for the Javelin in the earlier 1970s and then devolved into trim kits for the Hornet, Concord and finally the Spirit.  Only the 1968-70 two-seat version draws collector interest.

Mine is all original, un-restored and has about 23,000 miles.

1968 AMX.JPG

A spoiled kid in my high school got one exactly like that from Grandma.

Only lasted a short time before he totaled it.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Are you a bit slow?

Back to your dream car.

Dream car? It appears to me that you're the slow one, grandad. At least it doesn't drive like a bus, unlike your examples.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, SloopJonB said:

That Riv was Bill Mitchell's masterpiece IMO.

To think he was designing that bit of tasteful elegance when this was being built & sold.

image.thumb.png.2fe939cbee6f995d6048e92b45271b23.png

Anybody seen one of these while enjoying a certain Sandoz business product?  Or the year before which was better.  The two little lights on top of the fins. :wub: Hard to say which was more elegant, but either one with batteries and an electric motor would be cool.  Bulgemobiles!  :)

On 1/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, footlong said:

So that's a Javelin?

And the styling elements are back with the Mazda 6!  Nissan too, I think....

7AEB6C47-D6BD-48F0-B7A1-A0D642FF9AB2.jpeg

• Like 1
On 1/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, SloopJonB said:

A spoiled kid in my high school got one exactly like that from Grandma.

Only lasted a short time before he totaled it.

Dead man’s curve?

6 minutes ago, Amati said:

Anybody seen one of these while enjoying a certain Sandoz business product?  Or the year before which was better.  The two little lights on top of the fins. :wub: Hard to say which was more elegant, but either one with batteries and an electric motor would be cool.  Bulgemobiles!  :)

The '59 was the ultimate.

image.png.cc9d527bf24f3324118d5c9cb354317d.png

Those cars were so ridiculously over the top I find it hard to believe that people actually took them seriously when they were new.

I've been told that just re-doing the chrome during a resto costs more than $20,000. There are hundreds of pieces just in the grille.

image.thumb.png.ddade8fe187a3c8f92f748fc00b6dfd0.png

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Those cars were so ridiculously over the top I find it hard to believe that people actually took them seriously when they were new.

I've been told that just re-doing the chrome during a resto costs more than $20,000. There are hundreds of pieces just in the grille.

Grandparents had a pink one, down in Santa Barbara.  It was sooooooo smooooooth and quiet.  My grandmother drove it into the deep end of their swimming pool.  There was a pic of the thing nose down with the fins sticking out of the water.  My grandma switched to Chrysler Imperials after that- powder yellow with the square steering wheel, and the white leather interior.  The Caddies looked sober compared to those things....

7604079D-97C8-432E-9F34-2D3338A13AFD.jpeg

On 12/20/2020 at 6:39 AM, Polytelum Tom said:

Public Service Announcement for classic iron freaks:

Muscle Car City is closing and most of the collection will be auctioned, per the owner's post this morning on FB.

The muscle car era is over

People who know have told me that one should never own a BMW - lease only.

And NEVER out of warranty under any circumstances.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

People who know have told me that one should never own a BMW - lease only.

And NEVER out of warranty under any circumstances.

Having owned an X5 that went out of warranty I agree with this statement.

BM Trouble You

BMW sure seems to be a wee bit masochistic for those out of warranty. 

But then, so are boats.

BMW has an impressive trajectory from luxury motoring to broken down as some high-schoolers first whip.  In a few tragic short years.

Though my personal observation is that neither group can operate a turn signal, and everyone else on the road is the enemy.

Enjoy it @billy backstay, no way I could manage the operating costs and stay sane. 

53 minutes ago, Windward said:

But then, so are boats.

BMW has an impressive trajectory from luxury motoring to broken down as some high-schoolers first whip.  In a few tragic short years.

Though my personal observation is that neither group can operate a turn signal, and everyone else on the road is the enemy.

Enjoy it @billy backstay, no way I could manage the operating costs and stay sane. 

Our 2004 X3 is going strong at 210,000, and paid off long ago.  Last oil change was less than a hundred, as I got the oil and filter from Amazon, and paid the garage $25 to change it.  Last other expense was rear springs for a couple hundred.  The Certified Preowned 2017, 430i has only 13,000 miles.  2 liter, biturbo, four banger making 250 HP.  Body is like a coupe, but there is usable back seat room, just not very large, and the hardtop convertible is icing on the cake.  I can justify it with LLC paying for it with untaxed dollars.  Yes the payment will be 800, but when we sell a couple of  rental condos, I will just pay it off.  Probably the last car I will ever buy, unless I can spring for the Resto-Mod Classic Mini, that I still covet....

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

CadillacRanch.jpg.91ff79625c3e2f5e51db7d475a653c46.jpg

My memory of those cars is opening the trunk and seeing a huge acreage spread in front of me.  The carrying capacity was incredible....

Then when you opened the hood, there was the engine and all the components.... just sitting there.   

18 hours ago, Windward said:

But then, so are boats.

(256) Shoot 'Em Up Movie - Safe Driving Lesson! - YouTube

1 hour ago, warbird said:

...a generator with points style regulator:ph34r:

Don't forget to polarize your new voltage regulator when the old one shits the bed.

Hey, anybody want to buy a dwell meter ?

• Downvote 1
7 hours ago, Bugsy said:

My memory of those cars is opening the trunk and seeing a huge acreage spread in front of me.  The carrying capacity was incredible....

Then when you opened the hood, there was the engine and all the components.... just sitting there.   

I saw a '47 or '48 Chrysler Business Coupe that put even them to shame.

When you opened the trunk there was so much space you could have stacked bodies like cord wood.

Of course those Business Coupes were intended to be a sort of pickup for traveling salesmen.

I remember sitting on the fender of my dad's '65 Impala with my feet on the frame while I changed plugs. They were too far away to comfortably lean over the fender.

6 hours ago, Dorado said:

Don't forget to polarize your new voltage regulator when the old one shits the bed.

Hey, anybody want to buy a dwell meter ?

I am dwellling on you offer...

On 1/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, Amati said:

Grandparents had a pink one, down in Santa Barbara.  It was sooooooo smooooooth and quiet.  My grandmother drove it into the deep end of their swimming pool.  There was a pic of the thing nose down with the fins sticking out of the water.  My grandma switched to Chrysler Imperials after that- powder yellow with the square steering wheel, and the white leather interior.  The Caddies looked sober compared to those things....

7604079D-97C8-432E-9F34-2D3338A13AFD.jpeg

hoods so big you could land a helicopter on them...    had a 76 charger with a hood that big..

On 1/13/2021 at 12:46 PM, billy backstay said:

Going to look this hardtop convertible over, after work....  Used, low miles...

image.thumb.png.d0cf7161eaad0b7c1b5ad300c1228d10.png

Picked this up today, very happy with it so far!

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Picked this up today, very happy with it so far!

If it's 50F or warmer and not raining it's top down weather.

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

hoods so big you could land a helicopter on them...    had a 76 charger with a hood that big..

For some reason, my high school thought it was a good idea to use a ‘68 Charger with a Hemi for driver’s education.  That was fun.  Those little turn signal indicator lights at the front corners  of the hood.  At the vanishing point. :lol:

Still miss my ‘74 Olds Delta 88 with the big block.  Never should have sold it....oil crisis.....:(

13 hours ago, slap said:

If it's 50F or warmer and not raining it's top down weather.

It's 46 here, but still pretty wet from last nights rain.  It came with the wind deflector so with heat on and windows up, one can comfortably go topless in the low 40's or less.

Wanted one of these since I was in high school 50 years ago.  Had a '66 but unfortunately, needed it to get to school/work/beach/home for the next 15 years and by the time I could afford to have something else and do the work, it was falling apart....oh, and I started buying boats.

See the source image

On 1/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, SloopJonB said:

He's too retarded.

Ha ha!   Points to you for cleverness.  :)

• Like 1