Absolutely positively ILCA

Well we had a fantastic time with gazillions of the famed singlehanders (including the special gold one!) down on Sydney Harbour yesterday for the 50th year celebration of our beloved dinghy. The team at Double Bay Sailing Club did a fantastic job promoting the event, with a feature article in the Sunday papers, and the TV choppers overhead for the start!  The famed "Manly Ferry" even held at the Quay to allow the start just to the east of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge precinct to commence. 

The weather was marginal, with some great gusts making the downharbour dash to Vaucluse an exercise in gritting one's teeth and going for it!!  The fleet ranged from kids in 4.7's through to some truly ancient mariners in full rigs, and some teens in radials who really make the boat sing!  The fleet was led off by multiple Masters World Champion and renowned coach Brett Beyer in the gold PSA hull - and yes, the hull looks much better than the deck - and everyone had a terrific time.  The oldest hull spotted was 9953, a vintage Canadian hull built in 1973 and skippered by Frant Bucek ...

I was on one of the support boats with my crew of young 4.7 sailors who at 10-12 were just a little too young to sail to the event, complete the event and then slog back to our Club upwind on a cold day - but they had a great time meeting the sailors and seeing just how much fun mass group sailors can have in a simple, wonderful dinghy.  Some pics of the day attached and following ... most are mine but the really good ones I've lifted from the Double Bay Sailing Club facebook page and I suspect were taken by the remarkable Michael Chittenden and wonderful Jon West ...  a day to remember and I hope that the youngsters on my rib are still sailing these great boats in 25 years ... and can get me out on the course to watch the 75th celebrations!

Happy sailing all ...

Stanno

2F8740A6-49BD-4C47-9978-4E6C1691C086_1_105_c.jpeg

7561850B-E023-4E62-82F3-20C9883E663C_1_105_c.jpeg

F16FA0B4-607F-43A5-89A1-AB25E8AB10BF_1_105_c.jpeg

854A2AB3-0B5F-42AC-AA60-3A7F74E0FC09_1_105_c.jpeg

43C2EBD0-9DAD-49F8-B533-B65A69156C3F_1_105_c.jpeg

BB3DB4DB-1A46-4B94-8B96-369B7DBD56D5_1_105_c.jpeg

26AF8B9B-4423-46D1-968B-C5E3B0DF8A3D_1_105_c.jpeg

DF10DE49-6C3B-440D-92F5-8263E880F36B_1_105_c.jpeg

63867F56-B5FA-407F-8F16-9B8107C15DEC_1_105_c.jpeg

9C339409-4CA4-43F0-9AA2-182237880BE3_1_105_c.jpeg

7D9260F2-F743-49CF-8C05-0C877398C0DB_1_105_c.jpeg

5FC9F1F0-5CE5-4735-B176-23CBEFD969BE_1_105_c.jpeg

203630822_296222611972221_5481011211071119176_n.jpg

200955636_178595957609345_1175233435878508437_n.jpg

201973168_178138030988471_2713038311601121400_n.jpg

• Like 12
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well we had a fantastic time with gazillions of the famed singlehanders (including the special gold one!) down on Sydney Harbour yesterday for the 50th year celebration of our beloved dinghy. The team

Interesting Q+A Friday night with Chris Turner of Ovington and Duncan Hepplewhite of Sailingfast at the UKLA Radial/I6 Nationals.   My takeaways were that ILCA are heavily invested in ensuring th

That 200 boats is pent up demand for new boats going back several years.

Posted Images

684455017_laser9953.jpg.0164e767bd19fa5bbeb41de5aef46347.jpg

Congratulation to all my fellow Laser sailors on the 50th anniversary of our class.

Best wishes to ILCA owners for the next 50 years.

• Like 4
On 6/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, Bored Stiff said:

Kapeesh? Sue you? LOL the mafia are here!

Don’t put words in my mouth, please.  I have not said Ovi ILCAs are not part of the International Laser Class Association. 

My apologies, maybe a mistaken identity? Sosoome changed his name to Bored Skiff, then was recently booted/suspended, then you suddenly appear?

---

Ovington make the boat known as Kirby Dinghy, also known as the Laser, yet "Kirby Dinghy" doesn't appear on the Ovington website.

Lasers have been rebranded as ILCA dinghies. They are still referred to as Lasers, by media outlets and World Sailing etc (as demonstrated by the links).

The north american class website used to have a section for boats for sale, but now the website is different  (not surprising what with all the changes).  Where can we find ads for used boats on the market?  I've found some with FB marketplace and yachtfinder, but not much.

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

The north american class website used to have a section for boats for sale, but now the website is different  (not surprising what with all the changes).  Where can we find ads for used boats on the market?  I've found some with FB marketplace and yachtfinder, but not much.

It's slim pickin's. It's a seller's market. Like cars and houses. I checked craigslist every day and then overpaid for an old crappy laser. Now I am trying to fix it up and get good parts.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, nroose said:

It's slim pickin's.

Same here in the UK, the boats advertised I viewed were overpriced junk.

I put a wanted advert in all of the Laser and dinghy buying selling groups on Facebook and this approach found me a good boat.

7 hours ago, Metoxi said:

Same here in the UK, the boats advertised I viewed were overpriced junk.

I put a wanted advert in all of the Laser and dinghy buying selling groups on Facebook and this approach found me a good boat.

Yeah I have found a few on FB marketplace.  There is a 1986 boat that looks in PRISTINE shape, but will need lots of upgrades (blades, sails, spars, the works).  I almost want to check it out, but I think I will hold out until this fall for a boat somewhere in the 20-teens. 

But I agree, I've had more luck on the Facebook groups finding used boats.

My knees are begging me to sell my  boat. But I think we are nearly 3000 miles apart!

26 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

My knees are begging me to sell my  boat. But I think we are nearly 3000 miles apart!

rs_aero_3.jpg

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, tillerman said:

rs_aero_3.jpg

They are no problem when I am hiking! It’s downwind and light stuff that cause me grief. And tacking. And gybing. 

7 hours ago, Bill5 said:

They are no problem when I am hiking! It’s downwind and light stuff that cause me grief. And tacking. And gybing. 

7 hours ago, Bill5 said:

I already assume the Aero prayer position downwind 

Prayer position? 

If by "prayer position" you mean kneeling on both knees than AFAIK that's not fast in either Laser or Aero.

Michael O'Brien wrote a very good blog post about light air downwind sailing in an RS Aero. No praying required!

front-knee-down.png

https://www.aeronautic.info/posts/2015/downwind-light-air.html

So the 1988 Laser is still for sale.  I'm REALLY tempted to drive the hour south to look at this thing.  Here are some pics of the hull.  Its in really great shape.  It sat on a specialized cradle on a megayacht and then sat in a garage.  Obviously needs a complete upgrade....but I'm wondering how stiff the hull is.

948577208_Laser1.JPG.cb2f7041a3f61ecb355a315fd673376a.JPG

1749996709_Laser2.thumb.JPG.f4f64a25485b84304b66b80c542fadc3.JPG

2005230165_Laser3.thumb.JPG.78fd816cc67de9ce9b616c8adcff0d7b.JPG

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

So the 1988 Laser is still for sale.  I'm REALLY tempted to drive the hour south to look at this thing.  Here are some pics of the hull.  Its in really great shape.  It sat on a specialized cradle on a megayacht and then sat in a garage.  Obviously needs a complete upgrade....but I'm wondering how stiff the hull is.

What's the price?

Do you have any close up pictures of the mast tube and rudder gudgeons? From the pictures you posted, looks to have seen very little use but check the wear on the mast tube and gudgeons. If not much use and well taken care of then seems the hull should be pretty stiff.

• Like 1

I won't be home for another two weeks or so.  The guy answered me saying he has had a little interest.  He's asking $4K for everything including the specialized stands, but I'm not paying that considering all the hardware looks original and she will need a lot of upgrades to get race ready.  Essentially all I want is the hull, so I'm gonna see if he's willing to negotiate just for that.  However no transaction will happen until I thoroughly inspect the hull.....but I'm hoping its stiff like the older hulls were.  If so this is a serious find!

• Like 1
On 7/8/2021 at 3:35 AM, Jkdubz808 said:

948577208_Laser1.JPG.cb2f7041a3f61ecb355a315fd673376a.JPG

1749996709_Laser2.thumb.JPG.f4f64a25485b84304b66b80c542fadc3.JPG

2005230165_Laser3.thumb.JPG.78fd816cc67de9ce9b616c8adcff0d7b.JPG

It’s missing the bailer which makes me wonder what else it’s missing in terms of upgrades needed to race. Those upgrade run in excess of $1000 total so check carefully.

The 1988:

*they all had the Viking hatch for a few years.  It was supposed to be a nice upgrade but we kept sticking our knees through them. The worst part was the threaded part and sealing ring would  push loose from the mounting flange and water would just pour in on every wave. 
For a few years I carried a box of a dozen replacement assemblies complete with caulk,  1” - #8 round headed machine screws , and nylon insert lock nuts. We were replacing them at lunch time and saving sailor’s regattas. 

** it is 33 years old. The boat may be super stiff fir a few hours  of use but that old resin is so over hardened and stiff the laminates will not tolerate any flexing at all. The hull  will go soft at a rapid rate. 

** Brand new, that boat was not made with as modern materials as  anything made in the thirty years since.  It probably is not competitive with  anything built since 1996. 

**it doesn’t have all the reinforcements nee boats have. 

**it doesn’t have the little metal pieces that keep some screws from pulling out 

** certainly there is no warranty 

** I have a 1984 boat that was never sailed until 2018. I do not think it was ever as stiff  as any of my vanguards and by the end of 2019 I could feel it was starting to flex like my 2007 Vanguard.

summary: I don’t think there is anything particularly special about any old  Laser exceot it sure is fun to show up with a number under 150,000 and do well. 

• Like 4

I was actually going to ask if anyone has had any experience with the older boats vs newer ones.  There are some boats for sale around me that are newer ( a 2008 and a 2010) and built to better standards I imagine.  I would hate to buy the upgrades then have the boat get soft on me in less than a year.  I'm starting to have second thoughts on this the more I read about it (not just on here).

maybe a newer boat built ater 2008 or so might be a better option.

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

The guy is DREAMING! $4K?

THAT IS SOOOO OVERPRICED!

It isnt an under the bed Gibson L5 :-D

Yeah pretty much.  After reading up some more and seeing what Gouv said about the older hulls I decided not to chase it.  I'll hold out for a boat build after 2007 or so.  There are a few for sale around me that are newer (one 2008 and a 2010), so might go that route.

10 hours ago, tillerman said:

219848783_ScreenShot2021-07-12at10_34_29AM.thumb.png.c9598f7364ab685392dafbe095bf8bb6.png

I remember reading about those before, and the ARC2 rigs.  Think they will catch on?

6 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

I remember reading about those before, and the ARC2 rigs.  Think they will catch on?

Depends on...
1. how aggressively PSA and the dealers are about marketing them and making them available in dealerships world-wide and
2. how active the purists are in arguing for another 50 years of white sails.

My guess is that people will buy the C-rigs and start racing them in a breakaway class.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Yeah pretty much.  After reading up some more and seeing what Gouv said about the older hulls I decided not to chase it.  I'll hold out for a boat build after 2007 or so.  There are a few for sale around me that are newer (one 2008 and a 2010), so might go that route.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago and ended up buying a 1991 boat, sail number 144***. The boat was at a lake cabin and did not see a lot of use. The hull is solid, blades and spars look good. I paid $950 for the boat. A new dolly, cover, new upgraded rigging, new lines,... cost another $1700. That does not include a new vang and sail, I already had an extra vang and I put our 4.7 rig on the boat. But it includes a carbon fiber tiller and extention. So, I could sent my 13 year old out on the water for $2700. Prices for 2001-2009 Vanguards are just through the roof right now and I was not willing to pay that.

I've pretty much decided to hold out and keep an eye out for a post-2010 boat in my area.  I'd like one soon but I'm not in a rush so I can keep an eye out for a decent deal.

Prices for second hand boats in most classes have definitely hardened up in the last year . Supply and demand.

Last time I bought a laser was about 6 years ago and I paid £1500 for a 1999 laser , in great condition, with a combi trailer , with two rigs and good sails .

I sold it two years later for £1400. If I sold it now I might even make a very small profit. 

I’ve been toying with with the idea of moving from a British moth to a d zero for the last four years . Supply of new boats is tight at the moment because of COVID so the price of second hand has risen too . 
I have just agreed to buy a two year old boat for the price I could have paid for a new boat four years ago . 
As I said at the beginning, simple supply and demand unfortunately :(

• Like 2
On 7/13/2021 at 1:12 PM, tillerman said:

Depends on...
1. how aggressively PSA and the dealers are about marketing them and making them available in dealerships world-wide and
2. how active the purists are in arguing for another 50 years of white sails.

My guess is that people will buy the C-rigs and start racing them in a breakaway class.

I mostly agree but I think there will be no need of a breakaway class. I think it will be a separate class under the ILCA umbrella.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Xeon said:

I mostly agree but I think there will be no need of a breakaway class. I think it will be a separate class under the ILCA umbrella.

Hope you are right. That would be the best solution.

• Like 1

I never really got this. A great looking rig, but probably more appropriate for an Aero. A 2020 rig on a 1969 boat. Reminds me of the Super Sunfish idea which flopped. 

1 hour ago, Bill5 said:

I never really got this. A great looking rig, but probably more appropriate for an Aero. A 2020 rig on a 1969 boat. Reminds me of the Super Sunfish idea which flopped. 

Yeah, If you really want a 21st century rig then you will probably also want a 21st century hull and foils etc. If that's what turns you on them you might as well buy an RS Aero. Plus there are more fleets and more regattas for the RS Aero owner than for the C-rig owner. 

30 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Yeah, If you really want a 21st century rig then you will probably also want a 21st century hull and foils etc. If that's what turns you on them you might as well buy an RS Aero. Plus there are more fleets and more regattas for the RS Aero owner than for the C-rig owner. 

Lots of guys are having both like you.  I have raced both and my plan is to eventually have both a Laser and an Aero and cross train in both boats.

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Lots of guys are having both like you.  I have raced both and my plan is to eventually have both a Laser and an Aero and cross train in both boats.

I like the way you are thinking.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, tillerman said:

I like the way you are thinking.

When was the last time you raced a Laser, Tillerman?

• Like 1

While I got you boys here, anyone repainted one?  I am finding some boats that are pretty beat up, but still stiff.  All they would need is some sanding and a paint job.  I would go with the class legal gelcoat obviously, and it would give me the chance to have red (I have a major affinity for red raceboats.....).  Class rules don't prohibit it, just wondering if any of you blokes have done it.

• 2 weeks later...