Don McImmitate's plywood RTW ClassMini580

WTF in the title is getting a bit old, but WTF.

Still embargoed for a few more hours, but who cares? We care more about idiots trying to piggyback on everyone else's name recognition. And that's not all I would think.

A Transat in 2021 and a Mini Globe Race in 2024, that's gone be fun!

https://mailchi.mp/goldengloberace/build-your-own-mini-race-around-the-world-or-the-bay?e=ae49ebcfd5

Wow. Rather them than me!

It's been done before though. Alessandro di Benedetto sailed around the world in his Mini 6.5, Findomestic Banca. His route took him around Cape Horn and under jury rig, IIRC. 

Good luck!

10_20270_Alessandro_Di_Benedetto.jpg

aless_int1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm thinking of a bamboo (unidirectional) plywood version, bamboo spars is easy, bamboo underpants from China, bamboo sails must be possible, and growing bamboo shoot is easy and healthy. Bamboo flares is a speciality here, anything else? Oh, the name, BOO.

And it's for all ages, so will build one for my 12 year old, he knows how to pray. And maybe my 90 year old grandpa likes to do another lap of the planet, problem is he might not remember if it's east or westward, so hopefully that's a free choice. And myself, I don't trust the windvane, and will do the Virtual Don McFlail.

What do you reckon?

8b4f46d6-c1df-470d-b85f-6fa260c4d950.thumb.jpg.53e44a6e6854ab3a57c634d459e470a6.jpg

Maybe get the plans and build one but do the races, no.

I wonder if he will let people do particular legs. Now that might (maybe) be more interesting.

Why does he insist on such whacky boats. Just let ppl buy 2nd hand mini’s they can sell again. The golden globe should have been in modern boats ppl could use again later. 

• Like 1

Little rudder is earlier reefing, very safe. What a rip of of the Classe Mini/Jester Challenge idea.

Slow boats needs a lot of water and food making them even slower... he thinks 100 miles a day is a reasonable average, ambitious 4 knots.
At least he thinks he can start in Portugal. France is out of the question. Lets see if Portuguese authorities are happy with it.

That stormjib has as much cloth as your jacket if you are as tall as me.

Just buy a waarschip570 (2500 Euro) and do the Jester Challenge if they are still organizing them.

• Like 1

Who's the NA drawing up the lines and rig plan etc?

Who checks the build quality?

And why waste time and money building a boat that can't be used in Mini events, just let people buy a used Mini or even build a new one. His egomania is getting worse. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mad said:

His egomania is getting worse

This. And that of some of the people surrounding him, like our favorite FP fool Braindead Handoncock.

He is already organizing 2 pretty complicated events, why on earth would he otherwise want to start an even more demanding and sensitive one?

He should build himself a concrete Mini580, and sail off to Antarctica.

• Like 1

Desperate Don the attention whore strikes again. He wants to own on his own show but a circus can’t have a clown as the ringmaster.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

.........but a circus can’t have a clown as the ringmaster.

Hang On. You are aware of a small concern called US politics, and a chap called Donald???

But I hear what you are saying......:lol:

• Like 5

Official launch in empty Hiswa Show:

“We are surprised and excited at the level of interest and passion expressed for this little plywood Mini-Mini that I love and cannot wait to sail” said Don McIntyre Founder of the Mini 5.80 Class. “we have schools talking about building fleets, friends getting together to build two or three side by side and yacht clubs wanting to know more. Even Top name sailors are looking to have some fun on a simple boat for a change, where the human element is more important than the technology. This little yacht with a big heart, for even bigger adventures has a strong future for sure!”

At least the builder of the 2nd boat is a very experienced cold moulded builder. I think I could warm to the idea, if Don Dumb wasn't such a tool.

https://mailchi.mp/goldengloberace/classmini580-erratumhigh-res-images-attached-that-failed-to-down-load-on-previous-release-7783251?e=ae49ebcfd5

213b7656-a42a-4501-9cf1-5ae70bc6bbfd.jpg.2a3b323638776558b9d5b5d6cc58577b.jpg

9 hours ago, paps49 said:

Where does he get the cash for these dumb projects.

Why dumb? This is a pretty normal idea for cheap ocean sailing, tested by Poles ;) It's less dumb, than all rowing, surfing, swimming etc ocean-going challenges. These are stupid things. Self-built sailboat of controlled quality isn't dumb or stupid. It is sailing, 7/24/365, no imitation of activity.  

• Like 1
On 3/18/2020 at 2:20 AM, troll99 said:

:rolleyes: its pretty dumb to go for a shorter boat by arm length when there is a class that has evolved last 40 years. 

With zero research, would the length correlate to the maximum boat you can get from X number of sheets of ply?

55 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

With zero research, would the length correlate to the maximum boat you can get from X number of sheets of ply?

I don't think so. It is the only arms-length difference.

You either choose the placement and amount of bulkhead and stringers, therefore, reduce/increase the thickness of hull skin. 

580 has 30mm skin vs 650 with 7-9mm. You'd say, 580 is made for low-cost material, easy to build and durability. Badly maintained low-quality ply is less likely to twist in 30mm. It would work better in a smaller size such as a floating coffin.

A stiff flight plane wing is more likely to break than the flexible one though. It applies to any material. 

I'm more critical of the general design. Fore and aft parts of the hull are watertight. You only have a 2-meter space to move around. Who wants live like that in long sailing routes around the world. No buoyancy foam, no exit tunnel, no life raft. 

Hipsters in the new 580 likely buy prepared food packs worth more than the hull itself.:blink:

Another thing. It is more environment-friendly to keep using old boats. That's for information to the hipsters again. 

• Like 2
On 3/22/2020 at 2:57 PM, ALL@SEA said:

That's been done and resulted in the Thunderbird.  12 sheets of 4'x8' plywood I believe was the challenge by Weyerhaueser.  Ended up at 26' OA and a not bad boat.  Still out there plugging along.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Rawhide said:

How does plywood construction stack up against say glass over cedar strip plank for build cost? 

Good ply is about the same cost as foam glass these days per M^2.

Good ply is getting harder to source  with all the nasty Chinese and Asian stuff stamped with BS1088

The huge plus for ply is its real quick to whack together a boat out of and not such a stinking sticky mess to work.

If they are knocking them out with a stitch and glue chine method with thick ply skin  and minimal framing then we are talking one guy knocking the hull out in a fortnight if CNC cut.

Start messing with thin skins , frames , and stringers and the time blows out big time.

Cedar strip is nice to do but you start with  big bits, cut it up into little bits, and then glue it back into a big bit. Any hull shapes , but takes time.

From the profile pictures posted up thread, the builder wont require many tools. The back and front of an axe should suffice.

For such a short LOA the things going to have to resemble a beach ball to carry  a human and all their crap around the world.

Or, maybe, what they save on the hull cost they can spend on shore crew to follow them.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a cheap project though.

WTF

• Like 3
10 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Good ply is about the same cost as foam glass these days per M^2.

Good ply is getting harder to source  with all the nasty Chinese and Asian stuff stamped with BS1088

The huge plus for ply is its real quick to whack together a boat out of and not such a stinking sticky mess to work.

If they are knocking them out with a stitch and glue chine method with thick ply skin  and minimal framing then we are talking one guy knocking the hull out in a fortnight if CNC cut.

Start messing with thin skins , frames , and stringers and the time blows out big time.

Cedar strip is nice to do but you start with  big bits, cut it up into little bits, and then glue it back into a big bit. Any hull shapes , but takes time.

From the profile pictures posted up thread, the builder wont require many tools. The back and front of an axe should suffice.

For such a short LOA the things going to have to resemble a beach ball to carry  a human and all their crap around the world.

Or, maybe, what they save on the hull cost they can spend on shore crew to follow them.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a cheap project though.

WTF

Mrs Octopus,

Pretty much everything you have said here is completely wrong. You have never had anything to do with plywood boat construction. Why do people feel the need to speak authoritatively about things they know nothing about?

Just now, dorydude said:

That's a truck box body, not a shipping container. If it was a 20 ft (6m) shipping container, that boat is about 19ft long (5.85m).

This is a RG 650, a series mini transat. Built down here in Argentina, shipped in a standard 40ft container to europe and elsewhere. And is a very good boat.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

I'm thinking of a bamboo (unidirectional) plywood version, bamboo spars is easy, bamboo underpants from China, bamboo sails must be possible, and growing bamboo shoot is easy and healthy. Bamboo flares is a speciality here, anything else? Oh, the name, BOO.

And it's for all ages, so will build one for my 12 year old, he knows how to pray. And maybe my 90 year old grandpa likes to do another lap of the planet, problem is he might not remember if it's east or westward, so hopefully that's a free choice. And myself, I don't trust the windvane, and will do the Virtual Don McFlail.

What do you reckon?

8b4f46d6-c1df-470d-b85f-6fa260c4d950.thumb.jpg.53e44a6e6854ab3a57c634d459e470a6.jpg

I like that you can push it off if you fall asleep and run aground or don't zoom in on the plotter. Great design feature 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Rawhide said:

I like that you can push it off if you fall asleep and run aground or don't zoom in on the plotter. Great design feature 

Good one, they will need that feature, guaranteed.

But, but, that guy has been pushing his Mini for a couple of months now, and is still stuck. The problem must be that if he pushes too hard, the plywood front will fall off.

I sometimes hook my high aspect rudder behind a coral head, not a problem for Don and his merry mates, when they visit his kingdom, the Royal Y.C. in Tonga. Anyway, chances are that by then nobody will be onboard anymore, after broaching a thousand times.

BTW, I am still waiting for the builders approval for my bamboo project, all materials for free and only 100 hours build time to lash it all together.

PS. Plotters are not allowed, GPS is allowed as long as you don't use them...

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Plotters
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Timur just discovered this...

20 hours ago, Timur said:

Yes, it's small, it's slow, it's ugly to most.  But the Globe 5.8 is gonna revolutionize ocean racing for the peasants and commoners of the world who lack big dollar sponsors and glory.

https://www.facebook.com/classglobe580/

fuglyfckr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook video of it sailing somewhere. May be Ok for sailing around your own flat pond slowly but........offshore not for me. You would not think you would be able to put enough food in it to get anywhere.

Class Globe 580 Hull no.1 Trekka first testing sails

The Class Globe 5.80 one design Yacht and home building plans were launched just over a year ago. 50 are already building and COVID delays are making it a rush to make the start of the first ever G580T from Marina de Lagos Portugal on 31st October. Seven 5.80's are entered. Another 100 sets of plans are sold so the Transat fleet will grow for the 2023 edition ahead of the 2024 Mini Globe Race! ...TREKKA is the first sailing with many more in the months ahead.. #g580t Fun safe yachts able to sail anywhere.....

Looks like a half ton of fun!

• Like 1

My first thought, seeing the guy sitting legs out upwind in the first bit, was that the stanchions and lifelines wouldn't pass a Special Regs Equipment Audit.

Depending on where you define the gun'hle, they're either too far in from the edge or not high enough.

I know it's a class thing and they can spec what they want for class stuff. Just sayin'

I'm not sure if the conditions are just more choppy than they seem, but its a lot bouncier than a real mini.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:01 PM, Virgulino Ferreira said:

In my dreams only.

It looks like an awesome pocket cruiser, and a sensible boat for part-time cruising South America.

why settle for this, when you have a ton of good used 650's?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Not here in Brazil. And we are not allowed to import used boats. And we pay ~100% taxes on imports. :angry:

Then build natali 800 with deep keel.