Jump to content

US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak


Recommended Posts

On 2/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

475k US Covid dead, bullshitters. How many would there be if we weren’t #1?

Funny you should ask that . .    here is the Lancet via Newsweek 

They suggest around 200,000 unnecessary US deaths . .   murdered by the US Reich , right @Dog  @The Joker   ??? 

A new report highlights the hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths in the U.S. under former President Donald Trump, noting that some 40 percent of COVID-19 pandemic deaths in 2020 would have been averted if America's mortality rate was equivalent to other wealthy peer nations.

The report—published Thursday in one of the world's oldest and best-known medical journals The Lancet—explains that even before the pandemic, the U.S. saw 461,000 unnecessary deaths in 2018 when compared to the death rates in other G7 nations (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom). Comparing the U.S. COVID-19 mortality rate to this peer group, the U.S. would have seen 40 percent fewer deaths in 2020 if its mortality rate was comparable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

For a couple of years I thought Trump was the problem but increasingly I am thinking that the problem is actually that there are just so many dumb American voters who eat up this sort of crap. There s

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Funny you should ask that . .    here is the Lancet via Newsweek 

They suggest around 200,000 unnecessary US deaths . .   murdered by the US Reich , right @Dog  @The Joker   ??? 

A new report highlights the hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths in the U.S. under former President Donald Trump, noting that some 40 percent of COVID-19 pandemic deaths in 2020 would have been averted if America's mortality rate was equivalent to other wealthy peer nations.

The report—published Thursday in one of the world's oldest and best-known medical journals The Lancet—explains that even before the pandemic, the U.S. saw 461,000 unnecessary deaths in 2018 when compared to the death rates in other G7 nations (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom). Comparing the U.S. COVID-19 mortality rate to this peer group, the U.S. would have seen 40 percent fewer deaths in 2020 if its mortality rate was comparable.

Clearly, US citizens are much better at dying from COVID.  No one even comes close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Clearly, US citizens are much better at dying from COVID.  No one even comes close.

#1

I, for one, am fucking sick of all this kind of "winning".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are looking up -

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/white-house-200-million-more-covid-vaccine-doses-.html

  • President Joe Biden announced Thursday that his administration signed deals for 200 million more doses of Covid-19 vaccine, bringing the U.S. total to 600 million.
  • In addition to securing more doses for states, the Biden administration is using the military to help administer doses and is setting up mass vaccination centers across the country.
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Things are looking up -

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/white-house-200-million-more-covid-vaccine-doses-.html

  • President Joe Biden announced Thursday that his administration signed deals for 200 million more doses of Covid-19 vaccine, bringing the U.S. total to 600 million.
  • In addition to securing more doses for states, the Biden administration is using the military to help administer doses and is setting up mass vaccination centers across the country.

Plus the Covid relief bill has 10’s of billions of dollars to aid states with distribution and administration of vaccines something the previous admin failed to provide.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Plus the Covid relief bill has 10’s of billions of dollars to aid states with distribution and administration of vaccines something the previous admin failed to provide.  

You mean elections have consequences?  Who knew?

Link to post
Share on other sites

US ranked #1 to best prosecute a doctor for failing to waste vaccines
 

Quote

 

...

"He abused his position to place his friends and family in line in front of people who had gone through the lawful process to be there," Ogg said in January.

But that characterization of what happened is disputed, and Harris County Judge Franklin Bynum has already tossed the case out for lack of probable cause and rebuked Ogg's office for attempting to "criminalize a doctor's documented administration of vaccine doses during a public health emergency."

It turned out what really happened with Gokal is the problem we've been seeing play out across the country—medical providers having to hustle to find people to inject before these vaccines expire.

The New York Times Wednesday detailed the timeline of Gokal's behavior, documenting not a thief looking to jump his wife and friends to the front of the line, but rather a desperate doctor who had six hours to use 10 doses of the Moderna vaccine before they expired.

It all happened on December 29, when according to Gokal's account to the Times, not enough people showed up for vaccinations at an event in the Houston suburb of Humble because it had not been well-publicized. A new vial had been opened toward the end of the event and only one person was injected. That left 10 potential vaccinations that could go to waste.

Instead of letting that happen, Gokal informed the Harris County health officials in charge of the event that he was going to find people to inject. County officials knew full well what he was doing.

In the end, Gokal found several elderly people and those in high-risk categories who weren't yet approved for vaccinations but most certainly would be soon. The last to be injected was Gokal's own wife, who was actually eligible for the vaccine because of a serious lung condition. He told the Times he gave her the last dose 15 minutes before the vaccine would have expired.

...

 

The charge couldn't make it past a judge but we'll see what a grand jury might do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, Bus Driver said:
On 1/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, Bus Driver said:

We'll hit 450K by the middle of the weekend and half a million before Valentine's Day.

Called it.

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 9.41.08 PM.png

I may be off by a day.  Averaging >3K/day should mean we break the half million mark on Presidents Day.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 3.17.15 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The Lancet puts 180k US deaths on Trump. Not so sure that's right if they compare EU population straight-up with Americans. It would need some adjustment to account  for the the disproportionate share of fukwits we have here.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/538400-lancet-report-faults-trump-for-avoidable-coronavirus-deaths

A report in the British medical journal The Lancet blames former President Trump for an error-filled response to the coronavirus pandemic that it says contributed to 40 percent more deaths compared to other wealthy countries.

The report from the Lancet Commission on Public Policy and Health in the Trump Era points to the more than 450,000 deaths in the U.S. from the coronavirus and says about 40 percent of them “could have been averted” if the U.S. death rate matched that from Group of Seven members Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom.

The 33 doctors and other experts on the commission also make broader critiques, ranging from racism to climate change. They argue that in 2018, 461,000 fewer Americans would have died in the U.S. had the same life expectancy as the other G-7 countries.

The Lancet, a respected medical journal, has published opinion pieces highly critical of Trump before. In May, it published an editorial calling for Trump not to be reelected, citing his undermining of science at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 8:01 AM, The Joker said:

Why do you think the public is suddenly buying masks?   Perhaps the full court doom being predicted by the democrats and the media.  In 2009 we had over 20,000 swine flu cases and 1000 deaths in the US.  So unless this is dramatically worse I not worried about how the US will handle it.  


Good news it looks  like it is slowing down in China. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-deaths-china-cases-slow-live-updates-200303003539680.html


11:50 GMT - Wuhan closes one of its makeshift hospitals

The Chinese city at the centre of the coronavirus epidemic closed its first makeshift hospital, one of 16 hurriedly built to handle the epidemic, after it discharged the last recovered patients, state broadcaster CCTV reported on Monday.

News of the closure coincided with a sharp decline in new cases in Hubei province and the provincial capital Wuhan, but the country remained on alert as Chinese nationals returning home are testing positive for the virus.

China's central Hubei province, the epicentre of the country's coronavirus outbreak, reported less than 200 cases of new infections for the first time since January.

 

Yeah, that swine flu was much worse. 500k Covid dead by next weekend. But hey, it’s not like it’s Ebola! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Joke on March 3rd 2020:

“So unless this is dramatically worse I not worried about how the US will handle it.”

If the subject wasn’t so fucking sad this thread would rival the Yoo Hoo thread for comedic gold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

The Joke on March 3rd 2020:

“So unless this is dramatically worse I not worried about how the US will handle it.”

If the subject wasn’t so fucking sad this thread would rival the Yoo Hoo thread for comedic gold.

It's a tragedy, the main point IMHO is that it demonstrates how much the RWNJs hate America and want to destroy us.

Half a million dead Americans and they're angry that those dadgum libtards are trying to make Trump look bad.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's a tragedy, the main point IMHO is that it demonstrates how much the RWNJs hate America and want to destroy us.

Half a million dead Americans and they're angry that those dadgum libtards are trying to make Trump look bad.

- DSK

It's so unfair that you link Trump's actions to Trump's results.

 

So unfair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

It's so unfair that you link Trump's actions to Trump's results.

 

So unfair.

Personal Responsibilitytm is only for Democrats....

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Averaging 2500 deaths/day and today was less than 1000.  Someone I know claimed we've "turned the corner".  Let's see what the numbers midweek look like.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.04.43 PM.png

 

The problem is that we still have a LOT of people out in the streets spreading it, and new variants that are more contagious -and- more deadly. I am uneasy about the prospect of another wave before it starts to really drop off the map.

If we could get the country down to less than 10,000 new cases a day and a positivity rate of 5% or less, then we'd have some headroom for another wave to be slowed down before careening out of control.

But now that a lot of people are vaccinated, and apparently don't get the point that you can still spread it after vaccination, this has the potential to be a disaster as big as all 2020 rolled into a few weeks. I really hope I'm wrong.

- DSK

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Averaging 2500 deaths/day and today was less than 1000.  Someone I know claimed we've "turned the corner".  Let's see what the numbers midweek look like.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.04.43 PM.png

That was me!  I own my threads (unlike the joke). I think there is is a race on to get the vaccines administered  before the UK variant takes hold.  Experts are saying there could be a surge again in late March but I’m impressed with how the Biden team is working the plan. Nice to have a plan for that matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

 

The problem is that we still have a LOT of people out in the streets spreading it, and new variants that are more contagious -and- more deadly. I am uneasy about the prospect of another wave before it starts to really drop off the map.

 

But now that a lot of people are vaccinated, and apparently don't get the point that you can still spread it after vaccination, this has the potential to be a disaster as big as all 2020 rolled into a few weeks. I really hope I'm wrong.

- DSK

- DSK

That’s true until a couple of weeks after the 2nd shot (in the Moderna or Pfizer case) but the evidence is that transmission is not a real risk after that.  We’ll be maskless by October if thing continue to go well.  Just need to stay disciplined for a few more months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

That was me!  I own my threads (unlike the joke). I think there is is a race on to get the vaccines administered  before the UK variant takes hold.  Experts are saying there could be a surge again in late March but I’m impressed with how the Biden team is working the plan. Nice to have a plan for that matter.

Actually, it wasn't you I was referring to (though I now remember you said that in a thread). 

This was a neighbor and he was holding forth, like he always does, about how it was "never really a big deal", and it was "overhyped", and we've now "turned the corner".  His next door neighbor is a researcher at JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health and has the exact opposite to share.  According to him, we need to remain vigilant, continue with masks and distancing, even after being vaccinated.  Especially with these new variants.

I know who I am putting my money behind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

That’s true until a couple of weeks after the 2nd shot (in the Moderna or Pfizer case) but the evidence is that transmission is not a real risk after that.  We’ll be maskless by October if thing continue to go well.  Just need to stay disciplined for a few more months.

Can you give a source for that info?

A lot of doctors would really like to have more confidence that the vaccine prevent spreading of the virus by the vaccinated. I'm not aware of any research the demonstrates that, after 2 weeks or 3 weeks or any time period. The vaccine boosts the immune system to prevent serious disease, it does not eliminate all possible infection. And if you catch it, your cells are pumping out virus even if it's in much smaller quantities, and you're spreading it.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Can you give a source for that info?

A lot of doctors would really like to have more confidence that the vaccine prevent spreading of the virus by the vaccinated. I'm not aware of any research the demonstrates that, after 2 weeks or 3 weeks or any time period. The vaccine boosts the immune system to prevent serious disease, it does not eliminate all possible infection. And if you catch it, your cells are pumping out virus even if it's in much smaller quantities, and you're spreading it.

- DSK

Astra Zeneca data released to that effect a couple of weeks ago but that’s generally been  the experience with respiratory  viruses in the past.  Something to the effect that while the virus may be present the viral load from a sneeze isn’t potent enough to infect people.  There are no doubt exceptions nothing is absolute.  But when we emerge from this COVId will still be present it just won’t kill very many people (relative to now). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fakenews said:
20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

.... The vaccine boosts the immune system to prevent serious disease, it does not eliminate all possible infection. And if you catch it, your cells are pumping out virus even if it's in much smaller quantities, and you're spreading it.

 

Astra Zeneca data released to that effect a couple of weeks ago but that’s generally been  the experience with resptitory viruses in the past.  Something to the effect that while the virus may be present the viral load from a sneeze isn’t potent enough to infect people.  There are no doubt exceptions nothing is absolute.  But when we emerge from this COVId will still be present it just won’t kill very many people (relative to now). 

 

The Astra Zeneca vaccine has not been approved yet in the US and isn't being used.

The info from CDC is that vaccinated people (Pfizer and Moderna) who catch it will shed 50 ~ 60% of the virus that an unvaccinated person will. In other words, yes you can still spread it

It's very likely that people who have had it can still be reinfected and spread it

One of the biggest problems with this virus is that it reaches a stage of being maximally contagious before symptoms appear. When you feel sick, it's too late to prevent spread to those around you.

I've heard that the JNJ vaccine reduces the contagious virus-carrying, but if it's half what Pfizer and Moderna do, it's still possible to pump up another wave of pandemic. Half as many people sick/dead? Still far too many IMHO

All that said, I am hoping that by late summer, this will be -mostly- past. It's never going away. I hope that future US governments take the anti-pandemic playbook and science funding seriously.

- DSK

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

 

The Astra Zeneca vaccine has not been approved yet in the US and isn't being used.

The info from CDC is that vaccinated people (Pfizer and Moderna) who catch it will shed 50 ~ 60% of the virus that an unvaccinated person will. In other words, yes you can still spread it

It's very likely that people who have had it can still be reinfected and spread it

One of the biggest problems with this virus is that it reaches a stage of being maximally contagious before symptoms appear. When you feel sick, it's too late to prevent spread to those around you.

I've heard that the JNJ vaccine reduces the contagious virus-carrying, but if it's half what Pfizer and Moderna do, it's still possible to pump up another wave of pandemic. Half as many people sick/dead? Still far too many IMHO

All that said, I am hoping that by late summer, this will be -mostly- past. It's never going away. I hope that future US governments take the anti-pandemic playbook and science funding seriously.

- DSK

 

 

What the hell does Asta Zeneca being approved in the US have todo with anything?  That’s the science of vaccines, limited spread will happen but it will be like the flu.  Life will be back to normal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fakenews said:

What the hell does Asta Zeneca being approved in the US have todo with anything?  That’s the science of vaccines, limited spread will happen but it will be like the flu.  Life will be back to normal. 

BG, you claimed things were just doozy 2 weeks post-vax (mentioning Moderna and Pfizer).  When asked for evidence, you cite what is being said about Astra-Zeneca.  To my knowledge, AZ has not even applied for an Emergency Use Authorization in the US, so it is not part of the deal, here.  

9 hours ago, Fakenews said:

That’s true until a couple of weeks after the 2nd shot (in the Moderna or Pfizer case) but the evidence is that transmission is not a real risk after that.  We’ll be maskless by October if thing continue to go well.  Just need to stay disciplined for a few more months.

So, your prediction is just more of your bluster.  Yeah, we know all about your attitude regarding mask usage and how often you go to the gym.  You've bragged about that.  Funny that, given that attitude, you use the word "disciplined".

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

BG, you claimed things were just doozy 2 weeks post-vax (mentioning Moderna and Pfizer).  When asked for evidence, you cite what is being said about Astra-Zeneca.  To my knowledge, AZ has not even applied for an Emergency Use Authorization in the US, so it is not part of the deal, here.  

So, your prediction is just more of your bluster.  Yeah, we know all about your attitude regarding mask usage and how often you go to the gym.  You've bragged about that.  Funny that, given that attitude, you use the word "disciplined".

WTH?  Data is fungible.  That it was collected and analyzed in Israel and the UK in this case doesn’t matter. I never said things were “just doozy”. I noted that hospitalizations were still 80k and positivity was still at 7%.  However those #’s are dropping like a rock. Finally, I was extremely disciplined prior to COVID infection.  I wore a mask everywhere , did not go to bars or indoor restaurants  and did not see my parents or immune compromised sister  in indoor settings or outdoors without a mask.  I focused on my own health by achieving peak fitness which in a calculated risk on my part involved going to the gym.  Now I am no longer a potential disease vector can see my family without worry and can go back to indoor restaurants and bars.  My immunity will carry me to my vaccination probably in May.  I  still wear masks at Publix etc  because I am a good citizen and no one else knows my infection status.

FN

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

WTH?  Data is fungible.  That it was collected and analyzed in Israel and the UK in this case doesn’t matter. I never said things were “just doozy”. I noted that hospitalizations were still 80k and positivity was still at 7%.  However those #’s are dropping like a rock. Finally, I was extremely disciplined prior to COVID infection.  I wore a mask everywhere , did not go to bars or indoor restaurants  and did not see my parents or immune compromised sister  in indoor settings or outdoors without a mask.  I focused on my own health by achieving peak fitness which in a calculated risk on my part involved going to the gym.  Now I am no longer a potential disease vector can see my family without worry and can go back to indoor restaurants and bars.  My immunity will carry me to my vaccination probably in May.  I  still wear masks at Publix etc  because I am a good citizen and no one else knows my infection status.

FN

The data regarding the efficacy of a vaccine not used in the US has absolutely zero to do with conditions in the US.

As for your "immunity", I hope for the sake of those around you that is the case.  Medical researchers are not as convinced as you about how accurate that claim is.

Must be the education you got in proximity to those world-class beaches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

The data regarding the efficacy of a vaccine not used in the US has absolutely zero to do with conditions in the US.

 

That is 100% bullshit and we are all dumber for reading it.  
t’s a good thing you don’t teach science.

From the financial times just yesterday  RE Novanex vaccine approval in the US

https://www.ft.com/content/ceebd562-7b50-427b-932f-40f2adfe5e2

And Erck said Novavax could leapfrog over rivals in the race to approval because the US Food and Drug Administration is considering authorising its use based on already-released UK trial data.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

That is 100% bullshit and we are all dumber for reading it.  
t’s a good thing you don’t teach science.

From the financial times just yesterday  RE Novanex vaccine approval in the US

https://www.ft.com/content/ceebd562-7b50-427b-932f-40f2adfe5e2

And Erck said Novavax could leapfrog over rivals in the race to approval because the US Food and Drug Administration is considering authorising its use based on already-released UK trial data.

You start off with Moderna and Pfizer and, when asked for data on them, you jump to AZ to support your claim of reducing transmission. 

And now invoke yet another vaccine to support your claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You start off with Moderna and Pfizer and, when asked for data on them, you jump to AZ to support your claim of reducing transmission. 

And now invoke yet another vaccine to support your claim.

Don’t be a weasel.  You said data from other countries isn’t relevant to efficacy in the US.  That was stupid.   I schooled you hard. Admit you made a mistake and move on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Don’t be a weasel.  You said data from other countries isn’t relevant to efficacy in the US.  That was stupid.   I schooled you hard. Admit you made a mistake and move on.  

You said this -

12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

That’s true until a couple of weeks after the 2nd shot (in the Moderna or Pfizer case) but the evidence is that transmission is not a real risk after that.  We’ll be maskless by October if thing continue to go well.  Just need to stay disciplined for a few more months.

When asked for evidence, you cited a different vaccine, not even available in the US.

12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Astra Zeneca data released to that effect a couple of weeks ago but that’s generally been  the experience with respiratory  viruses in the past.  Something to the effect that while the virus may be present the viral load from a sneeze isn’t potent enough to infect people.  There are no doubt exceptions nothing is absolute.  But when we emerge from this COVId will still be present it just won’t kill very many people (relative to now). 

You schooled no one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You said this -

When asked for evidence, you cited a different vaccine, not even available in the US.

You schooled no one.

Yeah whatever.  I feel sorry for your students.  Past experience with respiratory viruses is that vaccines eliminate or substantively reduce transmission.  Evidence is coming in from the Astra Zeneca vaccine that this is the case.  Data from Pfizer and Moderna is still being collected but there is no reason to believe this would not be the case as well.   Fauci has said as much but hedges a little because he has to in his position .  Finally,  it is not a matter of dispute that data on vaccine efficacy collected in one country can be applied to citizens of another country.

I schooled you bigly and I enjoyed it.  That FT cite sent you down for the count.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Yeah whatever.  I feel sorry for your students.  Past experience with respiratory viruses is that vaccines eliminate or substantively reduce transmission.  Evidence is coming in from the Astra Zeneca vaccine that this is the case.  Data from Pfizer and Moderna is still being collected but there is no reason to believe this would not be the case as well.   Fauci has said as much but hedges a little because he has to in his position .  Finally,  it is not a matter of dispute that data on vaccine efficacy collected in one country can be applied to citizens of another country.

I schooled you bigly and I enjoyed it.  That FT cite sent you down for the count.

Yeah, you go with that.  Citing data (AZ results) unrelated to the specific claim (Moderna, Pfizer) is always a winner, Gaston.

Couldn't read your cite.  Not signing up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Life expectancy falls a year....  It’s a good thing we’re #1, right bullshitters?

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/539347-life-expectancy-falls-1-year-in-biggest-drop-since-wwii-amid-pandemic

 

unless you're white and live in a nice neighborhood

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/17/politics/ron-desantis-vaccines/index.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 8:55 PM, warbird said:

Bought and paid for 40 years ago.  You are welcome for my service.

Reading the first few pages of this every once in awhile is pure entertainment from the elk.

I salute Private Warbird for fighting in the Great War of 1980.  While I was a 10 year old socialist sponging off my parents.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 6:35 PM, The Joker said:

Nope. The study deals with all kinds of factors. The sum total shows that the US is the most prepared nation on earth.  As a US citizen I was happy to learn the country is prepared.  The headline was in response to the hyperbole expressed in many threads claiming the exact opposite.  
There is no telling where this will lead, but the country, according to this study has the ability to deal with it better than has been predicted.

500K Dead today.  America Fuck yeah!

On 3/3/2020 at 6:01 AM, The Joker said:

Why do you think the public is suddenly buying masks?   Perhaps the full court doom being predicted by the democrats and the media.  In 2009 we had over 20,000 swine flu cases and 1000 deaths in the US.  So unless this is dramatically worse I not worried about how the US will handle it.

This is good too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, The Joker said:

As to test kits looks like the best test is a CT scan.

https://www.itnonline.com/content/ct-provides-best-diagnosis-novel-coronavirus-covid-19

 Available everywhere

CT Scans for everyone! He didn't own that one for very long, but when he did he OWNED it.  (with help from "Imaging Technology News")

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

CT Scans for everyone! He didn't own that one for very long, but when he did he OWNED it.  (with help from "Imaging Technology News")

Good grief, I forgot about that gem.  No wonder he doesn’t post in this thread anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, The Joker said:

How are we doing a piss poor job?  Old people died from a virus that hits old people the hardest.  How in any way shape or form is that bordering on criminal.   More people died in a tornado near Nashville yesterday.  Time to charge people at the weather service with manslaughter.    

The Joke reminded us early on this was no big deal..

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Reading the first few pages of this every once in awhile is pure entertainment from the elk.

I salute Private Warbird for fighting in the Great War of 1980.  While I was a 10 year old socialist sponging off my parents.

It’s the gift that keeps on giving all year long, Clarke. 
 

D9D8B410-210F-4F3B-BA4D-38E0BB1D8031.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

And Mikey has disappeared as well . .    @mikewof

He was maybe even wronger. 

That's the nature of politicizing biology. Now the deaths from that infection are winding down, the "tens of millions of deaths" never actually happened, and instead it was essentially a bunch of Industrialized Nations getting a tiny taste of what infectious diseases do every year in every Developing Nation, except that for us, it was mostly elderly people, while in Developing Nations, a large portion of the deaths from diarrhea, pneumonia, cholera, and malaria are children and young people. But their suffering is mostly invisible to us, because they don't get involved in political shitfights with strangers on the Internet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That's the nature of politicizing biology.

It was you and the Reich that politicized the pandemic - see recent Fauci comments. 

African Americans lost 2.7 years of life expectancy - sounds like you are just fine with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

It was you and the Reich that politicized the pandemic - see recent Fauci comments. 

African Americans lost 2.7 years of life expectancy - sounds like you are just fine with that. 

So you call me a Nazi because it fits your politicized view of the world?

As for the 2.7 years of life expectancy, you're confused, and you didn't even capture the detail of that correctly. You should reread that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mikewof said:

So you call me a Nazi

No, I did not call you that; Reich is not the same. 

On the other hand, if the shoe fits ya, wear it and own it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikewof said:

That's the nature of politicizing biology. Now the deaths from that infection are winding down, the "tens of millions of deaths" never actually happened, and instead it was essentially a bunch of Industrialized Nations getting a tiny taste of what infectious diseases do every year in every Developing Nation, except that for us, it was mostly elderly people, while in Developing Nations, a large portion of the deaths from diarrhea, pneumonia, cholera, and malaria are children and young people. But their suffering is mostly invisible to us, because they don't get involved in political shitfights with strangers on the Internet.

 

10's of millions sick and 2.5M dead worldwide from a virus.  Diarrhea, cholera, malaria- mosquitos and water.  Covid all in one year, the rest a systemic poverty problem that's predictable and eventually solvable with nothing but money.  But do go on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

10's of millions sick and 2.5M dead worldwide from a virus.  Diarrhea, cholera, malaria- mosquitos and water.  Covid all in one year, the rest a systemic poverty problem that's predictable and eventually solvable with nothing but money.  But do go on.

Apologies, I don't fully understand your position here, you've explained it too tersely.

You're suggesting that the 8 million some deaths per year in Developing Nations due to "systemic poverty" is somehow less of a problem than COVID since it's "predictable and eventually solvable with nothing but money"?

While the much smaller number of mostly one-off deaths from COVID is a bigger problem because we've thrown (literally) trillions of dollars at the problem, and for some reason, we can't stop the mostly elderly from dying from it?

If this isn't your take, please feel free to explain, but it seems that you're suggesting that millions of deaths every single year of principally children and young people is less of a problem than a much smaller number of deaths of mostly old people, as a black swan event?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

No, I did not call you that; Reich is not the same. 

On the other hand, if the shoe fits ya, wear it and own it. 

Uh, so you've called me a Nazi (err, a member of the "Reich") since I wrote something which which you disagree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

10's of millions sick and 2.5M dead worldwide from a virus.  Diarrhea, cholera, malaria- mosquitos and water.  Covid all in one year, the rest a systemic poverty problem that's predictable and eventually solvable with nothing but money.  But do go on.

If he does go on, please don't quote him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikewof said:

if the shoe fits

Only if they are comfortable for long walks.  The technology of foot wear advances day by day.

Are you still styling high heels?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chronic diseases like Cholera, Malaria, and Dengue, are affecting populations in fairly predictable areas, and they do tend to affect the young, and more feeble populations. But these are not people that Pfizer, Moderna, etc. really care about. They are not wealthy populations, and they don't endow chairs at major universities which graduate students who become research assistants, and scientists at major pharmaceutical corporations.

 The Corona virus (Covid-19, and variants) are affecting older, wealthier, more influential people, hence the rush to create vaccines to keep the donors alive. The grand children of a gazzilionaire who died of Covid-19 isn't likely to provide a research grant to Pfizer for a Dengue vaccine, when Pfizer let dear old Grandpa die of Covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hasher said:

Only if they are comfortable for long walks.  The technology of foot wear advances day by day.

Are you still styling high heels?  

I didn't write that, it's A.J., he doing his favorite thing, accusing anyone who disagrees with him of being a Nazi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Chronic diseases like Cholera, Malaria, and Dengue, are affecting populations in fairly predictable areas, and they do tend to affect the young, and more feeble populations. But these are not people that Pfizer, Moderna, etc. really care about. They are not wealthy populations, and they don't endow chairs at major universities which graduate students who become research assistants, and scientists at major pharmaceutical corporations.

 The Corona virus (Covid-19, and variants) are affecting older, wealthier, more influential people, hence the rush to create vaccines to keep the donors alive. The grand children of a gazzilionaire who died of Covid-19 isn't likely to provide a research grant to Pfizer for a Dengue vaccine, when Pfizer let dear old Grandpa die of Covid.

This isn't really true. The Gates Foundation has chipped in about $50 billion so far, a good bit of that to pharma like Pfizer to find pharma solutions to these diseases. And then since Gates got into it, a few others have taken the pharma route in Developing Nations, for about another $20 billion or so. Big pharma now cares about these people because there are a bunch of wealthy people who are paying them to care, and increasingly, they're even making money off of transitional nations like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. And in some cases, it's useful, affordable antibiotics make a big difference with killers like pneumonia and steroids help with killers like encephalitis and asthma. But pharma isn't always the correct approach. Gates and others have plunged about a billion dollars into pharma solutions for diarrhea, when for that, infrastructure upgrades are far more valuable and proven. But Gates IS the pharma nonprofit, so pharma is their tool, not infrastructure.

To your idea that Big Pharma is motivated to cure COVID to protect their donors is a good idea, but I'm not sure how provable it is, given that the vast majority of their fast-track R&D efforts in this area have come from governments. Wealthy people do have an outsize control of governments, thus the reason we've seen trillions going into this in one country, which then shows a potentially unmeasurable benefit from the country that put next to nothing into the same problem.

 

But the undeniable truth, and something we'll have to face is that we have again valued the lives of wealthy people in a way that we refuse to value the lives of those who aren't wealthy. We'll spend trillions of dollars to potentially extend the lives of a few hundred thousand wealthy people, where we won't lift a finger or even spend a few million to save the lives of children who weren't fortunate enough to fall out of a millionaire's vagina. And it gets easy to be cynical about this, because Gates has no problem sending those billions to pharma, but they aren't so interested in using billions to build infrastructure. They undoubtedly see their pharma investment as the best ROI they can get, but there's a nugget of racism in there, because they will sooner trust a wealthy pharma executive than a village of people in say, Sierra Leone to save lives.

This it the truth that lefties hate to acknowledge, it burns us up to face this reality. We may not see ourselves as a collection of racists, but when it comes time to who we work with our money, we are virulent, detestable racists, even as we hang BLM flags in our windows. We'll make sure that our neighborhoods have railroad crossings and gates, while we leave the at-grade crossings unguarded in the poor neighborhoods. We'll spend trillions to protect our skin from COVID, but not millions to save the lives of babies in Haiti. We'll raise money to bring 12-packs of Dr. Pepper to millionaires in Texas who lost their power, but we won't even let a bunch of Puerto Ricans or American Samoans or Saipanians into our union of states.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

He went on.  He called me terse.  There you go.  I'll MoveOn.

Bow down to those who control you, child. When Ishmael says "jump", RoundtheBuoys says "yessir, how high?"

Given that, your analysis of why we should ignore the 8-some million deaths every year in Developing Nations, was particularly dunderheaded, But Ishmael is too stupid to even understand the idiocy of what you wrote, so you would do better to converse with people who don't point our your nonsense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Given that, your analysis of why we should ignore the 8-some million deaths every year in Developing Nations

Pure deflection - that is an important issue, but not under discussion here. 

Try reading the thread title. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Pure deflection - that is an important issue, but not under discussion here. 

Try reading the thread title. 

Is this the part where you accuse me of being a Nazi, since I pointed out the failure of explaining away all those millions of deaths every year in people not old enough or wealthy enough to die of COVID?

With your Nazi-radar you could get a job with the FBI. Just be sure to keep dropping the "Reich" bomb early and often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mikewof said:

With your Nazi-radar you could get a job with the FBI.

I'm sure you know all about that Mikey.  Fucking shill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Is this the part where you accuse me of being a Nazi, since I pointed out the failure of explaining away all those millions of deaths every year in people not old enough or wealthy enough to die of COVID?

With your Nazi-radar you could get a job with the FBI. Just be sure to keep dropping the "Reich" bomb early and often.

This never meant that.  Try to focus on something other than your navel.  Although, it may be your best quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

STOP FUCKING QUOTING HIM!

Really. Imagine what those poor electrons feel, rushing thru the wires to get up on your screen, only to realize that they're spelling out another fucking endless Mikey post.

Have mercy on the poor little things!

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Really. Imagine what those poor electrons feel, rushing thru the wires to get up on your screen, only to realize that they're spelling out another fucking endless Mikey post.

Have mercy on the poor little things!

- DSK

Oh, the humanity...  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

at least nerd Mike has a stronger point here in 'questioning' the relative severity of covid19 than some hard case right-wing dipshit clowns/assholes do in disputing the severity of anthropogenic climate change.

try to look on the bright side.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3to1 said:

at least nerd Mike has a stronger point here in 'questioning' the relative severity of covid19 than some hard case right-wing dipshit clowns/assholes do in disputing the severity of anthropogenic climate change.

try to look on the bright side.

 

The bright side does not have a wall of text on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

at least nerd Mike has a stronger point here in 'questioning' the relative severity of covid19 than some hard case right-wing dipshit clowns/assholes do in disputing the severity of anthropogenic climate change.

try to look on the bright side.

 

I'm not questioning the relative severity of COVID-19, but rather our response to these diseases.

We've decided that the life of an elderly caucasian person in Boston who dies from COVID is worth approximately $40 million, but the life of a black child in Atlanta who dies from asthma is worth approximately $5,500. If we're unable to explain why one life is worth so much more than the other, then we have a legitimate need to question.

I've little expectation that this discussion is possible in PA. But here's a video ...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

answer to your ponderings Mike; 'The System' is a dirty fkg cunt, in too many ways. it needs to be radically changed, for too many reasons.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, just blunt.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites