US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

COVID-19 Industrial Policy Fails Again

It's a good thing Americans don't have to wait for the federal government's hand-picked suppliers of vaccines and syringes to end the COVID-19 pandemic. Those operations are not going well.

First, let's check in with ApiJect Systems Corp, a Connecticut-based medical supply company that got a $138 million government contract last year to develop a newfangled syringe that would be pre-filled with COVID-19 vaccine. You might think that's a lot of money simply to save the few seconds it takes to fill a syringe with vaccine—but the real goal of the contract was to reduce America's supposedly debilitating (and vastly overstated) reliance on medical equipment made in other countries.

More than 215 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered to Americans, but not a single one has been delivered via the fancy new syringes that ApiJect Systems is getting paid to produce. In fact, NBC reported on Wednesday that ApiJect has yet to produce a single syringe.

how are things going at Emergent BioSolutions, the federal government's hand-picked manufacturer of American-made vaccines?

Oh, boy. "Federal regulators have found serious flaws at the Baltimore plant that had to throw out up to 15 million possibly contaminated doses of Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine," The New York Times reports. "Production is now on pause in the United States, and all vaccines manufactured at the plant have been quarantined."

Unlike ApiJect, which received government funds during last year's rush to throw as much money at possible pandemic-ending ideas, Emergent Biosolutions has been on the federal dole since 2012 for the express purpose of domestic vaccine production in the event of a viral outbreak. That it has so far been unable to produce a single usable dose of vaccine is a damning illustration of the failure of industrial policy. This is the ultimate "you had one job" situation.

Under industrial policy, businesses become successful by lobbying for government contracts rather than by making products that work.

I suspect the reaction to the failures of these companies to do anything useful will be the usual one: give them more taxpayer money.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

On 4/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, Olsonist said:

Modi is the Indian version of Shitstain, a far right populist with little connection to reality.

India is what happens when a country uses the Woofers approach to pandemic control.

in other news, there are new malaria vaccines getting good efficacy using mRNA tech developed for corona-vira. Who coulda thunk it?  Not @mikewof

On 4/24/2021 at 2:19 AM, Excoded Tom said:

COVID-19 Industrial Policy Fails Again

I suspect the reaction to the failures of these companies to do anything useful will be the usual one: give them more taxpayer money.

Yeah, your boy Shitstain awarded Apiject that contract. Any cite to the Biden administration giving them any more money?

Also, Apiject doesn't make syringes and it doesn't supply syringes or even pre-filled syringes. What it makes is a syringe filling machine. Consequently, it makes sense that it hasn't delivered a single syringe because Apiject doesn't make syringes.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/apiject-issues-statement-on-nbc-digital-news-story-301274020.html

Of course, you wouldn't know any of this if you read Reason.

PS, guns.

• Like 3

From Dec to Jan over 20% of my hospitals patients were COVID  Now we have a total of three COVID patients, or so.  Now we are back with allowing visitors and people that pass get taken away by a funeral home worker in a suit that puts a beautiful quilt over them.  

In 5--10 years will having worked bedside during COVID for a healthcare worker mean something special?  I think it has to.  I remember when we went from /a/ COVID unit to two. And then every unit was COVID.    We are in the aftermath and I really hope science and common sense win.   My rural hospital lost 50-some RNs during the last six months as they took COVID travel contracts for up to $$10k a week.  We are still as short staffed now as during the darkest days in January.   

Very interesting..."looks like the vaccines are working, so we don't have to get one".

More than half of Kansas’ counties have turned down their weekly allotment of coronavirus vaccine doses because demand for the shots has declined.

The state said 62 of Kansas’ 105 counties declined their weekly allocations of vaccines from the state last week.

A spokesperson for Gov. Laura Kelly said it appears that many Kansans are delaying getting the vaccine after there has been a steady drop in the number of new infections, hospitalizations and deaths in the state.

State officials are planning a campaign to encourage people who are indifferent or reluctant to get the vaccine to consider getting the shots. And plans are underway to target vaccine distribution more on younger people who make up a large portion of the new cases in the state.

Barton County in central Kansas is one of the places that declined its shipment of the shots. In that county, about 30% of adults have received at least one dose of a vaccine compared to 36.4% across the state.

Barton County Health Director Karen Winkelman said she plans to move away from mass vaccination clinics to using more private doctors and pharmacies that have closer relationships with their patients. The county is also offering walk-in vaccination without appointments now.

But Winkelman said she won’t twist people’s arms to get them vaccinated.

“I would like to see the number higher,” she said, “but I can also respect people’s decisions.”

https://apnews.com/article/health-kansas-coronavirus-a9dff381d37b29a49ba35b80bbcf5b04

Coming up on 600k dead in the US, bullshitters. It’s almost as if bullshitting doesn’t stop a virus. Brazil looking pretty grim on the bullshit model too.

But hey, Sweden tried herd immunity for a bit!

Look on the bright side. It still isn’t as bad as the Ebola Obamademic, right bullshitters? 

2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

India really needs to work harder at pretending the virus away, don't they, Bullshitters?

https://thehill.com/policy/international/550003-india-experiences-shortage-of-oxygen-amid-covid-19-spike 

Since our MAGAts aren’t getting the 5th gen tracking device, the US is sending vaccine raw materials to India. Will Biden get blamed for that as well?

If people want to wear masks outdoors that’s their prerogative.  I think it’s stupid but to each their own.  I’d pay money to see Tucker approach the wrong individual and tell them to do so.  But he’s a blowhard coward he’d never do it.

26 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

If people want to wear masks outdoors that’s their prerogative.  I think it’s stupid but to each their own.  I’d pay money to see Tucker approach the wrong individual and tell them to do so.  But he’s a blowhard coward he’d never do it.

Why is it stupid to care about your fellow human beings?

You do know the reason for mask wearing, don't you?

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Brazil looking pretty grim on the bullshit model too.

brazil looking positively shitty there, but it has nothing to do with that nonsensical, bullshitting asshole bolsonaro and his fuckfest. non at all.

29 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Outdoors?  In anything other than a dense crowd it’s virtue signaling.  We had three big crowd situations in Tampa this year.  Lightning Stanley Cup Championship celebration, Super Bowl , Super Bowl  celebration.  No masks no COVID spikes.  The other day I saw a young woman wearing a mask outdoors with noone within 100 feet in a near gale wearing a mask. I laughed.

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

You do know who you're dealing with, don't you?

Gaston is one selfish, pontificating prick.

Today's update by the CDC regarding masks outside suggests they may not be as essential as before.  This is due to more knowledge of transmission along with the increase in vaccines.  BUT, this also relies on knowing the vaccination status of others.  It would be best to be safe, and wear a mask when not problematic. 

Folks like Gaston prefer to mock people and their concern for others.

CDC Guidelines.

4 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Outdoors?  In anything other than a dense crowd it’s virtue signaling.  We had three big crowd situations in Tampa this year.  Lightning Stanley Cup Championship celebration, Super Bowl , Super Bowl  celebration.  No masks no COVID spikes.  The other day I saw a young woman wearing a mask outdoors with noone within 100 feet in a near gale wearing a mask. I laughed.

You truly are an asshole.  I can say in Pensacola the only people wearing masks are employees and tourists, ditto for cities along the coast in AL, MS and LA.  Interestingly people are still being cautious in Texas still.  My anecdotal experience trumps yours again. 

Maybe she was thinking about other people catching what she might have, instead of being a self centered asshole.... Like the guy who laughed, and spread his germs in that near gale force wind well over 100' in the down wind area. Maybe only ducks, and RC sailors were down wind.... Maybe there was an older woman with pollen allergies sucking in that dusty wind in big heaping gulps.

And you know that that young woman wasn't in a high risk group how?

When Florida's case numbers match Melbourne's get back to me.

I really don't understand why people take a anti-stance on the mask thing. Does it bother you? How does it hurt?

Some people here still wear masks even though out community case numbers are zero. Do you ever wonder if there's a connection?

Personally, I find it easier to leave the mask on if I'm out and about. Saves remembering to take it on and off every time I enter a different small store. It's really no big deal.

14 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

And you know that that young woman wasn't in a high risk group how?

When Florida's case numbers match Melbourne's get back to me.

I really don't understand why people take a anti-stance on the mask thing. Does it bother you? How does it hurt?

Some people here still wear masks even though out community case numbers are zero. Do you ever wonder if there's a connection?

Personally, I find it easier to leave the mask on if I'm out and about. Saves remembering to take it on and off every time I enter a different small store. It's really no big deal.

What?  I’m pro mask.  I wear them indoors everywhere except at the gym and I’ve recovered from COVID and been vaccinated.  I’m a good citizen in that regard even though we are very close to the point where masks inside won’t be necessary either (once everyone who wants a shot has been able to get it).   People who want to wear a mask outdoors? Go for it.  But there is not and has not been a reason for a while.

Stop it, you're killing me !!   (KOS) 

In Republic Washington, . . the local Eagles Lodge held a protest against mask wearing. It turned out to be a super spreader event. The county went from about four active cases of COVID-19 to about 80 new cases . ." 

3 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

In Republic Washington, . . the local Eagles Lodge held a protest against mask wearing. It turned out to be a super spreader event. The county went from about four active cases of COVID-19 to about 80 new cases . ." 

classic

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Excellent. Dumbshits.

49 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Excellent. Dumbshits.

I'm thinking this will be the template for the summer. As the numbers of willing people becoming vaccinated increases, virtually all emergent cases will be due to resistors.

As has been said, resistance is futile.

Gawd,  I may be developing a man crush on Darwin.

Iowa used to be sane  . .  (KOS) 

One of the more disheartening headlines I’ve seen, the story in today’s Des Moines Register is “Iowa turns down 71% of COVID vaccine offered by feds as demand continues to drop.”

For the week of May 10th, the state of Iowa has declined 71% of the 105,300 doses offered. This does not include vaccines distributed by the federal government directly to pharmacies.

I o won’t, we’ll let’s just close the state lines encourage mixing and mingling in the cities and trailer parks, let nature take its course, let’s thin the herd…..seriously? The USA is becoming a nation of morans.

The only up I can see is it’s killing the stupid unfortunately the stupid are infecting some of the gooduns, fuckin fuckwits.

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

I o won’t, we’ll let’s just close the state lines encourage mixing and mingling in the cities and trailer parks, let nature take its course, let’s thin the herd…..seriously? The USA is becoming a nation of morans.

The only up I can see is it’s killing the stupid unfortunately the stupid are infecting some of the gooduns, fuckin fuckwits.

Has become?

Canada has had a slow vaccination rate compared to the US largely because of slow supply but last survey I saw suggested a hesitancy rate of 10 to 12%. Every time they do a similar survey the rate declines as people see that their friends and neighbours aren't croaking after getting the jab. We would be happy to take your extra vaccine but better to send it to India. 

5 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

That is a terrible price to pay, but it may be the only way to wean ourselves off of the celebration of truthiness/ignorance in this country. Encourage the Buht-Muh-Rats crowd to stand up for their rats by applying the same rationale to other big government rules like PFDs. 

Colorado is trying something interesting.  Extended mask mandates but loosened restrictions on those who are vaccinated. https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-extends-mask-mandate-while-013534336.html

Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

In related news ...

Immigration and border security were the most-mentioned items in an open-ended question about what the Legislature ought to be working on. Those are federal matters, but they’re top of mind for Texas voters, outranking mentions of the next three voter priorities combined. Where immigration and border security topped the legislative priorities list for 36% of voters, COVID-19, the energy system/grid, and the economy/jobs, together were the top priorities of 32%. In a February UT/TT Poll, COVID-19 was the top concern, with immigration and border security in second place.

“A plurality of Democrats are still worried about COVID, but there is a border crisis going on,” said Joshua Blank, research director for the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas at Austin. “It’s not a surprise that this has risen back to the top.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/03/texas-voters-legislature-poll/#f5da00f7-79e0-4407-9d4d-80c0d4d1ba04

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republicans-trump-election-falsehood/2021/05/01/7bd380a0-a921-11eb-8c1a-56f0cb4ff3b5_story.html

"For Republicans, fealty to Trump becomes defining loyalty test."

So 30% of the country are batshit cult followers. Coincidence has it 30% are sitting out the war on covid refusing to be vaccinated. Too bad their parents and grandparents weren't killed by TB or rendered sterile by syphilis #becausescience 

I seethe looking about trying to pick the 1 out of 3 that are psychos. And worse, inconveniencing me.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republicans-trump-election-falsehood/2021/05/01/7bd380a0-a921-11eb-8c1a-56f0cb4ff3b5_story.html

"For Republicans, fealty to Trump becomes defining loyalty test."

So 30% of the country are batshit cult followers. Coincidence has it 30% are sitting out the war on covid refusing to be vaccinated. Too bad their parents and grandparents weren't killed by TB or rendered sterile by syphilis #becausescience 

I seethe looking about trying to pick the 1 out of 3 that are psychos. And worse, inconveniencing me.

Remember back when folks in the American party were calling Obummer the democRATS' messiah? Those were the days. 

36 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Remember back when folks in the American party were calling Obummer the democRATS' messiah? Those were the days. 

Can't recall a mass movement to skip mammograms or whatever out of fealty. Maybe men eschewed prostate tests?

Here is a perfect opportunity for the Faithful to bitch about how the President doesn't care about them.  Of course, they will ignore the fact how they are refusing the vaccine, so the doses are, as yet, unused.

White House plans to redistribute unordered vaccine supply, telling states: Use it or lose it

The White House on Tuesday told states that vaccine supply they leave unordered will become available to other states — the most significant shift in domestic vaccine distribution since President Biden took office, and part of an effort to account for flagging demand in parts of the country.

Each state’s share of the total U.S. adult population will still determine weekly allocations. But instead of allowing unordered doses to carry over week-to-week, the White House will steer untapped vaccine into a federal bank available to states where demand continues to outstrip supply. Those states will be able to order up to 50 percent above their weekly allocation.

The use-it-or-lose-it strategy has the potential to transform how vaccine flows across the country. In recent weeks, numerous states have begun leaving significant quantities of doses on the shelves. Last week, officials in Arkansas declined their entire share, the state confirmed.

37 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Here is a perfect opportunity for the Faithful to bitch about how the President doesn't care about them.  Of course, they will ignore the fact how they are refusing the vaccine, so the doses are, as yet, unused.

White House plans to redistribute unordered vaccine supply, telling states: Use it or lose it

The White House on Tuesday told states that vaccine supply they leave unordered will become available to other states — the most significant shift in domestic vaccine distribution since President Biden took office, and part of an effort to account for flagging demand in parts of the country.

Each state’s share of the total U.S. adult population will still determine weekly allocations. But instead of allowing unordered doses to carry over week-to-week, the White House will steer untapped vaccine into a federal bank available to states where demand continues to outstrip supply. Those states will be able to order up to 50 percent above their weekly allocation.

The use-it-or-lose-it strategy has the potential to transform how vaccine flows across the country. In recent weeks, numerous states have begun leaving significant quantities of doses on the shelves. Last week, officials in Arkansas declined their entire share, the state confirmed.

Use it or lose it, bullshitters. 

Saw something the other day where blue states are already approaching herd immunity and that red states have the highest per capita case counts and hospitalization rates.  Darwinism at work.

7 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Saw something the other day where blue states are already approaching herd immunity and that red states have the highest per capita case counts and hospitalization rates.  Darwinism at work.

Not many of them are dying, just being a burden on the rest of the country for the rest of their born-free lives.

Fucking hypocritical Repugnicans.

Republicans promote pandemic relief they voted against

Every Republican in Congress voted against the sweeping pandemic relief bill that President Joe Biden signed into law three months ago. But since the early spring votes, Republicans from New York and Indiana to Texas and Washington state have promoted elements of the legislation they fought to defeat.

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Fucking hypocritical Repugnicans.

Republicans promote pandemic relief they voted against

Every Republican in Congress voted against the sweeping pandemic relief bill that President Joe Biden signed into law three months ago. But since the early spring votes, Republicans from New York and Indiana to Texas and Washington state have promoted elements of the legislation they fought to defeat.

Fucking ignorant voters to believe their bullshit.

His incompetence and disregard for the American people should never be brushed aside.

Books need to be written, recording this time and it needs to be taught in school.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 8.41.30 AM.png

29 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

His incompetence and disregard for the American people should never be brushed aside.

Books need to be written, recording this time and it needs to be taught in school.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 8.41.30 AM.png

Who needs all that librul hooey when dazzling bullshittery is so effective against a pandemic? As Eva dent. 

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Who needs all that librul hooey when dazzling bullshittery is so effective against a pandemic? As Eva dent. 

From the expert. :D 

On 5/4/2021 at 1:55 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

That is a terrible price to pay, but it may be the only way to wean ourselves off of the celebration of truthiness/ignorance in this country. Encourage the Buht-Muh-Rats crowd to stand up for their rats by applying the same rationale to other big government rules like PFDs. 

Colorado is trying something interesting.  Extended mask mandates but loosened restrictions on those who are vaccinated. https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-extends-mask-mandate-while-013534336.html

We're reaching the point where we should just pull the warning labels off everything and let natural selection sort it out.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

We're reaching the point where we should just pull the warning labels off everything and let natural selection sort it out.

How would our Patriot Rebels know what to oppose?

16 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
18 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

They'll still have intelligent women to oppose.  Especially if the women are melanin-enhanced.

42 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

25 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

They'll still have intelligent women to oppose.  Especially if the women are melanin-enhanced.

True, but they will voice no opposition to drying their hair in the bathtub or using a wide array of inappropriate products internally. So there's that.

0128_fresh-brush_485x340.jpg.1efd5ec0d54b9f779bc20cebb7c26f78.jpg

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That's easy. As Dog would have it, if a D proposes it, it's evil, bad, not well thought out or just plain stupid. If an R proposes it, it is the word of God as passed down to Moses from Mount Sinai via a burning bush.

37 minutes ago, Remodel said:

That's easy. As Dog would have it, if a D proposes it, it's evil, bad, not well thought out or just plain stupid. If an R proposes it, it is the word of God as passed down to Moses from Mount Sinai via a burning bush.

And, if/when it blows up in their faces like a loaded cigar, it was the fault of the Democrats.

7 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

And, if/when it blows up in their faces like a loaded cigar, it was the fault of the Democrats.

I see what you did there

It's not the season yet

- DSK

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

All sniping aside.

Where is Dog?

I hope he's not got it.

Same.  I don't wish this virus on anyone.

Whatever it is, it's big.

@Dog was willing to fight for The Former Guy, even when it was clear doing so was stoopid.

He was loyal.

7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Same.  I don't wish this virus on anyone.

Whatever it is, it's big.

@Dog was willing to fight for The Former Guy, even when it was clear doing so was stoopid.

He was loyal.

well it's no good whistleing him, he hasn't been logged on since 20 march.

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Um. He might have been flicked.

Why would that post earn him a flick ?? 

The local Reich posts that sort of racist drivel here all the time. 

52 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Why would that post earn him a flick ?? 

The local Reich posts that sort of racist drivel here all the time. 

The mods don't read all the posts, so unless someone complains they pass. It's rare they would go straight to the kill and not have a couple of time-outs first though.

Maybe karma got him.

Or he’s using a new name. Bush-Obama-Trump...he’s flopped around enough times by now to make it tough to flop back again. A new name allows him to drop the veil of decency and say what he wanted to say all along. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The mods don't read all the posts, so unless someone complains they pass. It's rare they would go straight to the kill and not have a couple of time-outs first though.

Maybe karma got him.

Maybe it was simply a "last straw" situation. Mods got tired of the thinly veiled racist dogstyling.

I think thats what got Dabnis.

Or maybe he's sick.

Who does hold the ban hammer these days?

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Maybe it was simply a "last straw" situation. Mods got tired of the thinly veiled racist dogstyling.

Or maybe he's sick.

Zapata and Scot, AFAIK. Clean can time out but not ban, I think.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Or maybe he's sick.

What are you?  Dogs mom?

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Does Zapata still exist? 

like a terrifying beast of retribution,  spoken of in vague, dusky, mutterings and but glimpsed on windy nights from the corner of ones eye.

49 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Does Zapata still exist? 

like a terrifying beast of retribution,  spoken of in vague, dusky, mutterings and but glimpsed on windy nights from the corner of ones eye.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

From what I've read, Scot has a tendency to nuke the account, erasing posts.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

From what I've read, Scot has a tendency to nuke the account, erasing posts.

Yes, it's apparently the easy way, which resulted in some incoherent threads by the time all the good shit had been deep-sixed.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, it's apparently the easy way, which resulted in some incoherent threads by the time all the good shit had been deep-sixed.

I come here for the pictures but stay for the incoherency.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

resulted in some incoherent threads by the time all the good shit had been deep-sixed.

Buena mierda aqui ? 

Shirley thou Jestith !! 

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

If the response to a pandemic is going to be bullshitting about it, we needed to be #1 in body burying. American Exceptionalism is tricky business, isn’t it bullshitters?

45 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Holy Crap, it's bad in India.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.27.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.27.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.27.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.27.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.28.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.28.28 PM.png

Yeah, bullshit didn't work in India, either. I feel for them.

33 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Oh don't sell bullshit short.  It's proven to be a popular policy. Evidence based decision making is for libruls and other suckers. 

32 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Given the density (more than 4x the US Pop in an area 1/3 the size), this is going to end badly.  VERY badly.

49 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Given the density (more than 4x the US Pop in an area 1/3 the size), this is going to end badly.  VERY badly.

Very fucking awful. 

<