• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bus Driver

• mikewof

• Fakenews

• Raz'r

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Don't apologise to me. It's Easy you misquoted.

That was a forum apology. Ease can see what happened. In any case, I have hidden the erroneous post and I will say a few hail Jesuses to atone for my sin.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Drug Overdose Deaths

Drug Overdose Deaths Remain High

Over 70% of the nearly 71,00 drug overdose deaths in 2019 involved an opioid.

Nearly 841,000 people have died since 1999 from a drug overdose.1 In 2019, 70,630 drug overdose deaths occurred in the United States. The age-adjusted rate of overdose deaths increased by over 4% from 2018 (20.7 per 100,000) to 2019 (21.6 per 100,000).

• Opioids—mainly synthetic opioids (other than methadone)—are currently the main driver of drug overdose deaths. 72.9% of opioid-involved overdose deaths involve synthetic opioids.
  • Opioids were involved in 49,860 overdose deaths in 2019 (70.6% of all drug overdose deaths).
  • Drug overdose deaths involving psychostimulants such as methamphetamine are increasing with and without synthetic opioid involvement.2

Drug overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids and methamphetamine have shifted geographically.2

• From 2018 to 2019, the largest increase in death rates involving synthetic opioids occurred in the West (67.9%).
  • The largest increase in death rates involving psychostimulants occurred in the Northeast (43.8%).
  • Previously, the East had the highest increases in deaths involving synthetic opioids, and the Midwest had the highest increases in deaths involving psychostimulants.
  • No state experienced a significant decrease from 2018-2019.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/deaths/index.html

Goalpost move fail.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

You do understand that when that was posted covid 19 was not yet a pandemic and that it was not my personal opinion, but was based on a study a coalition led by Bill Gates.  If their study was wrong take it up with them.   No need to respond this site is all about the gotcha game. 

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

You do understand that when that was posted covid 19 was not yet a pandemic and that it was not my personal opinion, but was based on a study a coalition led by Bill Gates.  If their study was wrong take it up with them.   No need to respond this site is all about the gotcha game. 

And the US “was” the most prepared, until the RWNJs, led by TFG, minimized it because re-election…

22 hours ago, The Joker said:

Anyone who thinks REFUSAL to get vaccinated is only a rightwing issue is spreading BS. 

No, it's not that, it's that it is the fuckwits you lot so humorously call right wing are spreading disinformation as they dismember democracy. All for their own financial and power gain.

That is pretty much exclusive to the alleged 'right'.

Whilst that continues, left wing equivalents pale by comparison in danger or the damage they are causing to the US. 

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

And the US “was” the most prepared, until the RWNJs, led by TFG, minimized it because re-election…

Post 3 nailed it, but what good is it to have the best tools if you don’t open the toolbox? We chose to try to bullshit a virus instead of fighting it. 

Just posting some good news wrt Covid.  It turns out that if you are vaccinated your risk of a breakthrough infection is still very low.  One well reasoned estimate is 1:5,000 but the dean of public health for Brown University thinks it’s more like 1:10,000.

If you’ve also previously been infected my estimate is 1:200,000. The takeaway? If you’re  vaxed,  live your life.  Enjoy dinner at a restaurant, go to a packed football stadium.  There is little reason to think you’ll infect anyone and if you do it will be a willfully unvaxed person. If you’d rather not risk it wear a mask but make it an N95 please.  

On 9/6/2021 at 3:34 AM, The Joker said:

Your gloating of the study and cheerleading is on display.

Own it.

32 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Fuck Governor Abbott.  Just fuck him.  And, fuck anyone who supports his efforts to kill people.

After 2 teachers die, a small Texas town rethinks masks

A 41 and 59 year old. Unvaxxed no doubt so it's kinda on them. Shit, Miami schools has something like 15 dead staff.  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Strange that that information was undisclosed.

WaPo through Yahoo news aggregator.

I looked but the best I could find was that they couldn't find out. But the numbers of Covid deaths for the fully vaccinated are minuscule, like 0.1% minuscule. So I'd go with Unvaxxed no doubt.

Tennessee has a nice little illustration of a 12 day period between a spike in cases and the associated spike of deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 8.57.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 8.57.26 PM.png

Keep an eye on them for the next two weeks to see what happens after yesterday's record of 13,422 cases.

Good news for those who were infected with COVID in 2020 AND who were vaxinated.  These people (myself included) have super human immunity.  We’re incapable of infecting anyone.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/09/07/1033677208/new-studies-find-evidence-of-superhuman-immunity-to-covid-19-in-some-individuals

Over the past several months, a series of studies has found that some people mount an extraordinarily powerful immune response against

SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19. Their bodies produce very high levels of antibodies, but they also make antibodies with great flexibility — likely capable of fighting off the coronavirus variants circulating in the world but also likely effective against variants that may emerge in the future.

So who is capable of mounting this "superhuman" or "hybrid" immune response?

People who have had a "hybrid" exposure to the virus. Specifically, they were infected with the coronavirus in 2020 and then immunized with mRNA vaccines this year. "Those people have amazing responses to the vaccine," says virologist Theodora Hatziioannou at Rockefeller University, who also helped lead several of the studies. "I think they are in the best position to fight the virus. The antibodies in these people's blood can even neutralize SARS-CoV-1, the first coronavirus, which emerged 20 years ago. That virus is very, very different from SARS-CoV-2."

In fact, these antibodies were even able to deactivate a virus engineered, on purpose, to be highly resistant to neutralization. This virus contained 20 mutations that are known to prevent SARS-CoV-2 antibodies from binding to it. Antibodies from people who were only vaccinated or who only had prior coronavirus infections were essentially useless against this mutant virus. But antibodies in people with the "hybrid immunity" could neutralize it.

6 hours ago, Venom said:

Oops. :ph34r: 

1:1000.  I like those odds but mine are even better. Zero.  Having been previously infected and MRNA vaxed have super immunity and not just to Delta but any future variant.

Us vaxed people don’t have much to worry about wrt Covid.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

1:1000.  I like those odds but mine are even better. Zero.  Having been previously infected and MRNA vaxed have super immunity and not just to Delta but any future variant.

Us vaxed people don’t have much to worry about wrt Covid.

This has to be the 10th or 12th time you've brought this up about whatever this is about. How many more times before you understand that less than zero readers care about your covid status and even fewer are interested in your analysis?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

This has to be the 10th or 12th time you've brought this up about whatever this is about. How many more times before you understand that less than zero readers care about your covid status and even fewer are interested in your analysis?

Even the most stupid dumb fuck arsehole can access the power of positive thinking.

And of course it's wasted.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

He may not be much.  But, he is all he ever thinks about.

Seriously.  From the admission he went maskless in the gym, to openly stating he doesn't care if others get infected, to bragging about having "super immunity", Gaston has made clear he is a narcissistic asshole.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Whatever.  My role is this thread is to counter disinformation and bring good news wrt to the fight against COVID.  I do it with data and scientific literature. . A lot of you seem terrified and don’t realize just how well off you are if vaxed.   I’m here to drag you out of your despondency.

Youre welcome.

14 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Whatever.  My role is this thread is to counter disinformation and bring good news wrt to the fight against COVID.  I do it with data and scientific literature. . A lot of you seem terrified and don’t realize just how well off you are if vaxed.   I’m here to drag you out of your despondency.

Youre welcome.

There you said it. 

Now go to a florist and buy a rose and have them pin it on your lapel.  Maybe with a note on it saying "I'm a Good Boy. :wub: "

Good for you.    Now shut the fuck up, OK?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Youre welcome.

Based on your poor word choice, extra punctuation, and grammatical errors - the University of Florida sincerely regrets having you associated with their school.

• Like 1

Trying to look on the bright side it looks like daily deaths have plateaued or are declining in Floriduh.  We crested a little ahead of the rest of the country.  Interestingly enough per Worldometer case counts peaked exactly on Sept. 2nd which was my estimate mid August.

In the further good news dept the DOJ just announced their investigating Florida over their bullying of school districts trying to enforce mask mandates.

A direct counterpoint to the topic of this thread.

Last October, the Nuclear Threat Initiative and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security compiled a ranking system to assess the preparedness of 195 countries for the next global pandemic. Twenty-one panel experts across the globe graded each country in 34 categories composed of 140 subindices. At the top of the rankings, peering down at 194 countries supposedly less equipped to withstand a pandemic, stood the United States of America.

It has since become horrifyingly clear that the experts missed something. The supposed world leader is in fact a viral petri dish of uncontained infection. By June, after most of the world had beaten back the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S., with 4 percent of the world’s population, accounted for 25 percent of its cases. Florida alone was seeing more new infections a week than China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Australia, and the European Union combined.

During its long period of decline, the Ottoman Empire was called “the sick man of Europe.” The United States is now the sick man of the world, pitied by the same countries that once envied its pandemic preparedness — and, as recently as the 2014 Ebola outbreak, relied on its expertise to organize the global response.

Our former peer nations are now operating in a political context Americans would find unfathomable. Every other wealthy nation in the world has successfully beaten back the disease, at least significantly, and at least for now. New Zealand’s health minister was forced to resign after allowing two people who had tested positive for COVID-19 to attend a funeral. The Italian Parliament heckled Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte when he briefly attempted to remove his mask to deliver a speech. In May — around the time Trump cheered demonstrators into the streets to protest stay-at-home orders — Boris Johnson’s top adviser set off a massive national scandal, complete with multiple calls for his resignation, because he’d been caught driving to visit his parents during lockdown. If a Trump official had done the same, would any newspaper even have bothered to publish the story?

It is difficult for us Americans to imagine living in a country where violations so trivial (by our standards) provoke such an uproar. And if you’re tempted to see for yourself what it looks like, too bad — the E.U. has banned U.S. travelers for health reasons.

The distrust and open dismissal of expertise and authority may seem uniquely contemporary — a phenomenon of the Trump era, or the rise of online misinformation. But the president and his party are the products of a decades-long war against the functioning of good government, a collapse of trust in experts and empiricism, and the spread of a kind of magical thinking that flourishes in a hothouse atmosphere that can seal out reality. While it’s not exactly shocking to see a Republican administration be destroyed by incompetent management — it happened to the last one, after all — the willfulness of it is still mind-boggling and has led to the unnecessary sickness and death of hundreds of thousands of people and the torpedoing of the reelection prospects of the president himself. Like Stalin’s purge of 30,000 Red Army members right before World War II, the central government has perversely chosen to disable the very asset that was intended to carry it through the crisis. Only this failure of leadership and management took place in a supposedly advanced democracy whose leadership succumbed to a debilitating and ultimately deadly ideological pathology.

There's lots more, worth reading. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/republican-response-coronavirus.html

On 9/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, Fakenews said:

Trying to look on the bright side it looks like daily deaths have plateaued or are declining in Floriduh.  We crested a little ahead of the rest of the country.  Interestingly enough per Worldometer case counts peaked exactly on Sept. 2nd which was my estimate mid August.

In the further good news dept the DOJ just announced their investigating Florida over their bullying of school districts trying to enforce mask mandates.

How can you trust anything about the data around Florida's COVID debacle?

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

How can you trust anything about the data around Florida's COVID debacle?

This isn’t North Korea.  DeSantis can’t hide the situation on the ground from the prying eyes of national public health officials and epidemiologists.  These variant curves have a known trajectory, they spike, crest and recede, they don’t go on forever.  The southern states were hit first and being largely unvaxed Delta ran through like wildfire.  But the fuel is runnng out, each unvaxed person that gets it whether they have mild or severe illness (including death) brings us closer to the day where COVID is just another thing we deal with in our day to day life.

Potential good news?  We’re through week 1 of the northern schools opening up and no headlines re mass quarantines. 

5 hours ago, Fakenews said:

This isn’t North Korea.  DeSantis can’t hide the situation on the ground from the prying eyes of national public health officials and epidemiologists.

The Florida Department of Health is the agency that fired Jones in May, after she helped create the state's COVID-19 dashboard.

Jones has said she lost her job after she refused requests to manipulate data to suggest Florida was ready to ease coronavirus restrictions. A spokesperson for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said at the time that she "exhibited a repeated course of insubordination during her time with the department."https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944200394/florida-agents-raid-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-state-data-scientist

10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

The Florida Department of Health is the agency that fired Jones in May, after she helped create the state's COVID-19 dashboard.

Jones has said she lost her job after she refused requests to manipulate data to suggest Florida was ready to ease coronavirus restrictions. A spokesperson for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said at the time that she "exhibited a repeated course of insubordination during her time with the department."https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944200394/florida-agents-raid-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-state-data-scientist

Old news and that lady has some issues. In any case not to the point about DeSantis being able to fool national public health officials.  He can only fool (some) Floridians.

48 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Old news and that lady has some issues. In any case not to the point about DeSantis being able to fool national public health officials.  He can only fool (some) Floridians.

Like you, it would appear.

Florida faces deadliest wave of the Pandemic yet. (September 8, nearly a week after your predicted "crest")

Child Covid deaths more than doubled in Florida as kids returned to the classroom (so much for your predictions re: children)

24 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Like you, it would appear.

Florida faces deadliest wave of the Pandemic yet. (September 8, nearly a week after your predicted "crest")

Child Covid deaths more than doubled in Florida as kids returned to the classroom (so much for your predictions re: children)

Don’t be stupid.  Florida cases crested well before the 2nd and the national crest was exactly on the 2nd.  Deaths crest 10 -12 days after the case crest and have indisputably crested in Fl.  Frankly going from 10 child deaths to 17 deaths is while tragic not a sign of an exigent problem.  Delta is more transmissible so more kids will get it and there will be a very few deaths because of that. 

The goods news?  Probably 60-80% of children have been infected.

6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

What's this "we" shit? 

Only developmentally stunted people feel they are actually part of a college football team they adore and follow.

This is also stupid.  As an alumnus of a university I’m entitled to use we.  It’s commonly used by the alumni of Power 5 programs.  You’d have a point if I were using we in reference to an NFL team or a university I didn’t graduate from.   But take it to the  (in your case FCS) CFB thread.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

This is also stupid.  As an alumnus of a university I’m entitled to use we.  It’s commonly used by the alumni of Power 5 programs.  You’d have a point if I were using we in reference to an NFL team or a university I didn’t graduate from.   But take it to the  (in your case FCS) CFB thread.

Okay, Fanboi.

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

This is also stupid.  As an alumnus of a university I’m entitled to use we.  It’s commonly used by the alumni of Power 5 programs.  

Cite? Only developmentally stunted people feel they are actually part of a college football team they adore and follow.

8 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Cite? Only developmentally stunted people feel they are actually part of a college football team they adore and follow.

You went to some third rate university with a shitty or non existent  football program so you’re excused from the conversation.  College football is a big part of campus life at most elite Universities and forges bonds where ever alumni travel.  

12 minutes ago, Fakenews said:
27 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

You went to some third rate university with a shitty or non existent  football program so you’re excused from the conversation.  College football is a big part of campus life at most elite Universities and forges bonds where ever alumni travel.  

And depressingly far from any World Class Beaches

And no free-range cats in the neighborhood, either.

- DSK

35 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Hmm. Both Texas and Miami were pretty good bitd. I wasn't a starter tho.

56 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

College football is a big part of campus life at most elite Universities and forges bonds where ever alumni travel.  

Most people mature out of their perverted devotion to athletes who don’t know, or even care, that you exist. 
Others desperately cling to that time, which is often a high point in their existence. 

18 minutes ago, random. said:

The cat video is bullshit.

The crow was stiff as, been dead for ages.  Someone killed the poor thing to make the video.

Bullshit predominates.

I give you Larry the cat who would have totally murdered this hapless pigeon if not for the fact that he’s a tub of lard.  So close…

15 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Most people mature out of their perverted devotion to athletes who don’t know, or even care, that you exist. 
Others desperately cling to that time, which is often a high point in their existence. 

I can also bond with alumni over this.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

59 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

If your identity is wrapped up in a period of life from decades ago, you are a sad and pathetic individual.

That you fawn over athletes, much younger than you, the way you do makes it particularly bad.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fakenews said:

College football is a big part of campus life at most elite Universities and forges bonds where ever alumni travel.  

Now that's funny ... putting UF in a grouping of elite universities. Google is your friend, or it would be if FL were considered an elite university, which it's not. It is, however, known for:

• Gainesville has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes. 

• Gainesville is in the 1st percentile for safety, meaning 99% of cities are safer and 1% of cities are more dangerous. 
10 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Pythons have eaten all the cats and dogs on their way north.

I don't think the pythons have made it this far yet.

Saw a 10' alligator the other day while out paddling, how big would a python have to be to prevail over one that size? The funny thing is, there were a bunch of time-share people out in rental canoes, none of them saw it.

- DSK

Alabama man dies after hospital contacts 43 ICUs in 3 states, family says

An Alabama antiques dealer died this month of a "cardiac event" after the emergency staff at his local hospital contacted dozens of intensive care units in three states and was unable to find him a bed as Covid-19 cases surged, his family said.