Jump to content

US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Nice! said:

There *are* some early reports that Omicron presents differently than previous variants, and that the symptoms seem to be more mild. It's too early for anything to be conclusive, though.

It's interesting to note that this is what happened to the Spanish Flu. It mutated into something more contagious but less dangerous, and faded into the background of regular flu strains. It took 3 years to do this, although it was closer to 2.5 years in any one geographic area.

If Covid follows this pattern, Omicron could be signaling the beginning of the end of this thing.

NOTE: I am not a medical professional. There are lots of ifs in the above statement.

We’ve seen this play out before.  Pandemics end.  Sooner than later in the era of modern medicine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Bus Driver

    1200

  • mikewof

    1120

  • Fakenews

    1113

  • Raz'r

    848

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

There is a difference between vigilance and complacency.  Some of us choose to be vigilant, as that is what will work best to get past this pandemic.  Others - looking at you, Reptilian Wonder Blunder- have let down their guard and are insisting things are nearly back to normal.

The big reason Omicron could still 'significantly prolong the pandemic'

“Does Omicron lead to less severe illness than prior variants? We don't [know] yet,” Dr. Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, cautioned Tuesday. “That's an uncertainty that will remain until we see much larger numbers of people age 60+ without immunity” getting infected.

And the problem is that many of them will get infected with Omicron.

By Wednesday, South Africa detected 19,842 new COVID-19 cases — a 131 percent increase from one week ago and the largest daily total since July. Nearly 27 percent of tests are coming back positive. Scientists there have said the new variant appears to spread more than twice as quickly as Delta — and that at least part of the reason is because the risk of reinfection with Omicron is roughly 2.4 times higher than with the original version of the virus, according to their estimates.

Of course, there are likely to be other variants that develop.  Despite what Dr. Fakenews says, there are no guarantees they will be less infectious/virulent.  They may be.  But, maybe not.

He'd like to gamble with your life

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The small Northern California city of Oroville became a national news story in the month of November when its city council voted 6-1 in favor of a resolution branding the city as a "constitutional republic" that would not enforce state or federal COVID-19 mandates.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-politics/article/Oroville-California-constitutional-republic-COVID-16685110.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

One of the in-laws father was from Oroville and had Covid. He died this week. The one time I was up there, there were two books on the bookshelf. The Bible and Mein Kampf. Because of that and the gunz, I'll just call it a suicide cult. Tom will be by shortly to call it a libertarian paradise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

The small Northern California city of Oroville became a national news story in the month of November when its city council voted 6-1 in favor of a resolution branding the city as a "constitutional republic" that would not enforce state or federal COVID-19 mandates.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-politics/article/Oroville-California-constitutional-republic-COVID-16685110.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

One of the in-laws father was from Oroville and had Covid. He died this week. The one time I was up there, there were two books on the bookshelf. The Bible and Mein Kampf. Because of that and the gunz, I'll just call it a suicide cult.

I really just can't get my head around USAnians reading and liking and advocating for the ideas in 'Mein Kampf.'

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

The small Northern California city of Oroville became a national news story in the month of November when its city council voted 6-1 in favor of a resolution branding the city as a "constitutional republic" that would not enforce state or federal COVID-19 mandates.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-politics/article/Oroville-California-constitutional-republic-COVID-16685110.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

One of the in-laws father was from Oroville and had Covid. He died this week. The one time I was up there, there were two books on the bookshelf. The Bible and Mein Kampf. Because of that and the gunz, I'll just call it a suicide cult. Tom will be by shortly to call it a libertarian paradise.

Copycats

https://conchrepublic.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites

New article on a vaccine developed here in Houston Baylor developed vaccine could soon receive overseas authorization  - it's cheap to produce (no patent) and requires no special handling.  Dr. Peter Hotez is our local expert and regularly updates on the pandemic.  What I didn't realize is when all the vaccines were being introduced (this had been in development for 10 years) Operation Warp Speed ignored it.  So delays coming from lack of funding. 
 

Quote

 

The process to getting the vaccine fully funded stalled last year, while other projects received funding from the Trump Administration’s accelerated COVID-19 vaccination program, also known as Operation Warp Speed.

"The hard part for me was we had to raise money for this, because at the time, operation WARP speed couldn't care less about a simple durable vaccine for low and middle income countries. It was all about speed and innovation," Hotez says

...........

If we had a fraction of the help that Moderna or Pfizer got from the U.S. government, or the G7 countries, in my opinion, the world could have been vaccinated by now, and we'd never be having a discussion about the Omicron variant" Hotez said.

 

Meanwhile back on the ranch: Texas has a new hotline for workers to report employers requiring COVID-19 vaccines, in violation of Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order banning such mandates.

sigh  facepalm

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

There is a difference between vigilance and complacency.  Some of us choose to be vigilant, as that is what will work best to get past this pandemic.  Others - looking at you, Reptilian Wonder Blunder- have let down their guard and are insisting things are nearly back to normal.

The big reason Omicron could still 'significantly prolong the pandemic'

“Does Omicron lead to less severe illness than prior variants? We don't [know] yet,” Dr. Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, cautioned Tuesday. “That's an uncertainty that will remain until we see much larger numbers of people age 60+ without immunity” getting infected.

And the problem is that many of them will get infected with Omicron.

By Wednesday, South Africa detected 19,842 new COVID-19 cases — a 131 percent increase from one week ago and the largest daily total since July. Nearly 27 percent of tests are coming back positive. Scientists there have said the new variant appears to spread more than twice as quickly as Delta — and that at least part of the reason is because the risk of reinfection with Omicron is roughly 2.4 times higher than with the original version of the virus, according to their estimates.

Of course, there are likely to be other variants that develop.  Despite what Dr. Fakenews says, there are no guarantees they will be less infectious/virulent.  They may be.  But, maybe not.

He'd like to gamble with your life

You should definitely mask up if it makes you feel better.  I would never tell someone not to even if it’s not needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

You should definitely mask up if it makes you feel better.  I would never tell someone not to even if it’s not needed.

How about stop promoting your idea the pandemic is over? We all want it to be it's just that reality keeps getting in the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

It’s over for the vaxed not so much the unvaxed.  

You are, and continue to be, an idiot.  A couple guys have already been chucked for promoting this bullshit.  Are you setting up to be the next?

The vaxxed are going to be FUCKED when the unvaxxed manage to incubate a version that the vacinated antibodies ignore.  There was a lot of anxiety around just how different omicron could be, and we're still trying to get people to take the original vaccines.

I don't advocate for living in fear, but this attitude that it's over for /anyone/ is just ridiculous.

 

  • Like 4
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you this.  Every major corporation in the US is preparing annual operating plans whose macro assumption includes either no or minimal business disruption from COVID.  To the extent they have global operations those disruptions may be more significant but this means normal business operations.  People are traveling, marketing and sales programs are full gas and companies are investing in growth initiatives.  COVID is not a line item in budgets except as explanation for spending increases in 22.  
 

Corporate America sees what I see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

You are, and continue to be, an idiot.  A couple guys have already been chucked for promoting this bullshit.  Are you setting up to be the next?

The vaxxed are going to be FUCKED when the unvaxxed manage to incubate a version that the vacinated antibodies ignore.  There was a lot of anxiety around just how different omicron could be, and we're still trying to get people to take the original vaccines.

I don't advocate for living in fear, but this attitude that it's over for /anyone/ is just ridiculous.

 

Gator is on record that this virus won't do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Gator is on record that this virus won't do that.

Proof - 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:38 PM, Fakenews said:

Lets face it, we turned the corner on the pandemic, the Delta surge has crested and all evidence points to a waning pandemic.  I get that for some it’s unsettling, terrifying even to venture out in the world without crutches to “stay safe” but the data doesn’t lie and neither does history.  Pandemics run their course, viruses don’t evolve into more lethal variants. If you are vaxed you have zero to worry about. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grrr... said:

You are, and continue to be, an idiot.  A couple guys have already been chucked for promoting this bullshit.  Are you setting up to be the next?

The vaxxed are going to be FUCKED when the unvaxxed manage to incubate a version that the vacinated antibodies ignore.  There was a lot of anxiety around just how different omicron could be, and we're still trying to get people to take the original vaccines.

I don't advocate for living in fear, but this attitude that it's over for /anyone/ is just ridiculous.

 

You don’t advocate living in fear but you type this.  

“The vaxxed are going to be FUCKED when the unvaxxed manage to incubate a version that the vacinated antibodies ignore.”

LOL.  Not going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Doc.

But that's not true. What is true is that it SEEMS UNLIKELY to happen and you don't think it will.

If you would start posting your opinions as opinions, I'm pretty sure you'd get less pushback, and get more credit for those of your opined predictions that do turn out to be correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Thanks, Doc.

But that's not true. What is true is that it SEEMS UNLIKELY to happen and you don't think it will.

If you would start posting your opinions as opinions, I'm pretty sure you'd get less pushback, and get more credit for those of your opined predictions that do turn out to be correct.

I know how things work.  I am going to get zero credit for my predictions all of which have proved correct so far.  Actually I’m not really making predictions I’m just posting good news as it’s reported.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously? All of your predictions have proved correct so far, but you're not really making predictions?

Typical Fakedoctor doublespeak.

Clearly you prefer the role of troll/arrogant prick/wannabe doctor/pretend expert. You do you.

I just thought it might be nice to get your "good news" in a more palatable form in which you'd reach more of the readership. You seem to be able to express your opinions elsewhere on the forums without being a total asshole. Why not try it here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Seriously? All of your predictions have proved correct so far, but you're not really making predictions?

Typical Fakedoctor doublespeak.

Clearly you prefer the role of troll/arrogant prick/wannabe doctor/pretend expert. You do you.

I just thought it might be nice to get your "good news" in a more palatable form in which you'd reach more of the readership. You seem to be able to express your opinions elsewhere on the forums without being a total asshole. Why not try it here?

You are trying to appeal to the humanity of a guy who admits he placed others at risk by refusing to mask up at the gym. He justifies that because someone at the gym likely infected HIM. 
 

He is the epitome of a selfish and arrogant prick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You are trying to appeal to the humanity of a guy who admits he placed others at risk by refusing to mask up at the gym. He justifies that because someone at the gym likely infected HIM. 
 

He is the epitome of a selfish and arrogant prick. 

I’m not justifying anything.  I don’t have to.  Again no one in FL wears a mask at the gym.  They stopped about a month after gyms reopened in May of 2020 or just didn’t go to the gym. 
 

Evetyone was/is on the same page., by going to the gym we ALL placed ourselves at risk.  If I was going around unmasked around children or the immunocompromised you’d have something to bitch about, but I don’t so you don’t you pretentious, sanctimonious twit. 
 

In retrospect getting COVID in late 2020 was somewhat fortuitous even if I didn’t think so at the time.  My hybrid immunity is much more robust than the just vaxed and boosted.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

I’m not justifying anything.  I don’t have to.  Again no one in FL wears a mask at the gym.  They stopped about a month after gyms reopened in May of 2020 or just didn’t go to the gym. 
 

Evetyone was/is on the same page.  If I was going around unmasked around children or the immunocompromised you’d have something to bitch about, but I don’t so you don’t you pretentious, sanctimonious twit. 
 

Go fuck yourself, Gaston. 
 

You’ve made clear what a selfish prick you are. Own that, and stop denying it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Fakenews said:

You don’t advocate living in fear but you type this.  

“The vaxxed are going to be FUCKED when the unvaxxed manage to incubate a version that the vacinated antibodies ignore.”

LOL.  Not going to happen.

Let's see.  Should I take the word of a self absorbed vespa riding drunk wanna be sailboat racer who makes outlandish claims and has a deep seated and unreasonable fetish for the University of Florida.

Or should I take the word of scientists who have developed their entire lives to studying immunology and virii, and who agree almost unanimously that this virus is going to keep mutating while it is in the human population and we don't know where it's going to end up.

Let's see.  Inbred UF fan, or scientists..... hmmmmm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Let's see.  Should I take the word of a self absorbed vespa riding drunk wanna be sailboat racer who makes outlandish claims and has a deep seated and unreasonable fetish for the University of Florida.

Or should I take the word of scientists who have developed their entire lives to studying immunology and virii, and who agree almost unanimously that this virus is going to keep mutating while it is in the human population and we don't know where it's going to end up.

Let's see.  Inbred UF fan, or scientists..... hmmmmm.

Well, when you put it that way....

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems Omicron may be a bit more adept at evading the protection of vaccines than previous variants.  This should concern anyone who understand just HOW a virus evolves.  Even if preliminary evidence holds true that infections from Omicron result in less severe cases, the infected (vaccinated) person becomes the vessel for possibly incubating a new variant. 

And, despite what Gator claims, there are no guarantees the next variant won't be more lethal.

So, the pool in which these variants may arise just got larger.

Most reported U.S. Omicron cases have hit the fully vaccinated - CDC

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gov of Colorado just laid down some COVID truth.   The COVID emergency is over.  Pretty soon almost everyone will have been  vaxed, recovering from COVID or dead.  If you don’t want to be dead or potentially seriously ill get vaxed or forever socially distance and mask.
 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/democratic-governor-of-colorado-not-our-job-to-enforce-masks-as-vaccines-have-ended-medical-emergency/

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

The Gov of Colorado just laid down some COVID truth.   The COVID emergency is over.  Pretty soon almost everyone will have been  vaxed, recovering from COVID or dead.  If you don’t want to be dead or potentially seriously ill get vaxed or forever socially distance and mask.
 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/democratic-governor-of-colorado-not-our-job-to-enforce-masks-as-vaccines-have-ended-medical-emergency/

I socially distance from many folks, mask or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubling down on the looney.
Sky Fairy Magic over science, yet again.

Quote

The taxpayer-funded public health agency serving the Lebanon area's 35,000 residents announced on Thursday morning that in order to comply with a letter by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt sent earlier this week to Missouri's local public health agencies, Laclede County would stop providing "all COVID-19 related work at the current time."

That means no more contact tracing, case investigations, quarantine orders, public announcements of data related to COVID-19 cases and deaths, along with the end of other measures, the Laclede County Health Department said.

The department said it was awaiting guidance from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, "but we have no timeline or expectations that this ruling will be changed."

Laclede County health officials also said, "While our agency remains determined to protect the health of our county residents, it should be understood that this ruling greatly affects how we will be able to proceed with ALL highly communicable diseases in the future."

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/missouri/2021/12/09/missouri-attorney-generals-letter-rural-health-department-stops-all-activity-to-fight-covid/6448466001/

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Doubling down on the looney.
Sky Fairy Magic over science, yet again.

Quote

The taxpayer-funded public health agency serving the Lebanon area's 35,000 residents announced on Thursday morning that in order to comply with a letter by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt sent earlier this week to Missouri's local public health agencies, Laclede County would stop providing "all COVID-19 related work at the current time."

That means no more contact tracing, case investigations, quarantine orders, public announcements of data related to COVID-19 cases and deaths, along with the end of other measures, the Laclede County Health Department said.

The department said it was awaiting guidance from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, "but we have no timeline or expectations that this ruling will be changed."

Laclede County health officials also said, "While our agency remains determined to protect the health of our county residents, it should be understood that this ruling greatly affects how we will be able to proceed with ALL highly communicable diseases in the future."

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/missouri/2021/12/09/missouri-attorney-generals-letter-rural-health-department-stops-all-activity-to-fight-covid/6448466001/

So, do you think this is the new germ warfare? Hire the enemy's own politicians to destroy public health in their own country?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, do you think this is the new germ warfare? Hire the enemy's own politicians to destroy public health in their own country?

- DSK

They don't have to hire them, it seems they are doing it for free. Social seppuku.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

They don't have to hire them, it seems they are doing it for free. Social seppuku.

No, Republicans are still getting lots of money from Putin and indirect support from his intel/hackers/troll farm services.

I'm surprised there is not more outcry against Biden's anti-Russia policy.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, do you think this is the new germ warfare? Hire the enemy's own politicians to destroy public health in their own country?

- DSK

On a macro scale, viruses and human beans are not all that different organisms.  It very well could be that republiscums are just an infectious, self-replicating variant of Homo Sapiens. 

Let's call then "omega".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Go Left said:

On a macro scale, viruses and human beans are not all that different organisms.  It very well could be that republiscums are just an infectious, self-replicating variant of Homo Sapiens. 

Let's call then "omega".

I'd rather call them "smegma".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more good news wrt Omicron.  Gottlieb (who has consistently provided some of the best insight about COVID in the last year) was on Face  the Nation and said that preliminary evidence is that Omicron is already peaking in South Africa.  He also said that it’s likely that circulation; of Omicron went undetected for quite a while.  Also read elsewhere that the first documented person in the US  with Omicron presented symptoms in mid November.  It’s important to also note that not single person has died from Omicron.

First evidence is that not only Omicron can’t out compete Delta but that it’s not nearly as lethal.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

U.K. Sees First Death of a Person With Omicron as Government Warns of Wave of Cases

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-reports-first-omicron-death-as-government-warns-of-a-tidal-wave-of-cases-11639406945

Our cases tend to follow theirs, by about 3 weeks.

That means Gaston has a bit of time before he needs to find a new way to pretend this is no big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

One death (unvaxed) globally in more than a month since it was detected.  Not worried.

You just love to pull stuff out of your ass.  From that link -

The U.K. Health Security Agency said the individual had been diagnosed in a hospital but gave no indication of his or her vaccination status.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You just love to pull stuff out of your ass.  From that link -

The U.K. Health Security Agency said the individual had been diagnosed in a hospital but gave no indication of his or her vaccination status.

It goes without saying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Another FakeDoctor assumption presented as fact.

I have a flexible mind which allows me to draw conclusions based on a variety of inputs (including in this case)the fact that Omicron is not very lethal and vaccinated people very seldom die from COVID unless comorbidities are present.  It’s why I’m good at chess.  I can see things before my opponent.  
 

In a related note the chief epidemiologist at University of Johannesburg said and I quote “we are seeing a decoupling of cases and death”.

which is good news for everyone but BD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a caring and compassionate human being, I mourn the 4 people I know who have died from COVID, along with the several I know who are still battling it (especially my nephew/godson, who is STILL nowhere near the kid he was before "long COVID").

You being a selfish/self-centered prick, I am not surprised at your cavalier disregard for the suffering of others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Being a caring and compassionate human being, I mourn the 4 people I know who have died from COVID, along with the several I know who are still battling it (especially my nephew/godson, who is STILL nowhere near the kid he was before "long COVID").

You being a selfish/self-centered prick, I am not surprised at your cavalier disregard for the suffering of others.

Sure.  Go with that Frances.  I for one am not sad that presenting good news wrt COVID causes you to suffer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Sure.  Go with that Frances.  I for one am not sad that presenting good news wrt COVID causes you to suffer.

I would love for you to present take this attitude in front of my brother-in-law.  He'd rip your head off your neck.

His kid is truly suffering and you keep dismissing the real effects of COVID as inconsequential, since it doesn't involve you.

Of course, I have no doubt you are too much of a chickenshit to actually take this stance in a public situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

I would love for you to present take this attitude in front of my brother-in-law.  He'd rip your head off your neck.

His kid is truly suffering and you keep dismissing the real effects of COVID as inconsequential, since it doesn't involve you.

Of course, I have no doubt you are too much of a chickenshit to actually take this stance in a public situation.

You are just so full of shit.  Carry on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

You can't possibly know the answer to this question as you have NO idea how many people came in contact with those who tested positive or how far it spread from there (or will spread, since this is new news).

I am 100% certain that there are no deaths and no hospitalizations relating to this just reported 36 cases today.  I’m smart like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bus Driver said:

There likely have been no deaths/hospitalizations from these 36 cases.  Yet.

I have no doubt that should we learn of some in the coming days, Fake Gnus will just say "Big deal.  I'm fine."

You are really grasping for bad news when you start talking about NFL player testing positive for COVID.  

LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I am 100% certain that there are no deaths and no hospitalizations relating to this just reported 36 cases today.  I’m smart like that.

 

First Omicron death confirmed in U.K. as PM warns of "tidal wave" of infections

By Haley Ott

December 13, 2021 / 10:04 AM / CBS News

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron-variant-death-covid-uk-boris-johnson-warns-tidal-wave-cases/

 

*******

If I were as smart as you, I would find some other way to brag about it.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
 

First Omicron death confirmed in U.K. as PM warns of "tidal wave" of infections

By Haley Ott

December 13, 2021 / 10:04 AM / CBS News

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron-variant-death-covid-uk-boris-johnson-warns-tidal-wave-cases/

 

*******

If I were as smart as you, I would find some other way to brag about it.

- DSK

If things go sideways, he'll find some other way of making himself seem important.

Besides, if it doesn't directly impact him, it doesn't matter to him.

That's because he is nothing but a selfish prick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
 

First Omicron death confirmed in U.K. as PM warns of "tidal wave" of infections

By Haley Ott

December 13, 2021 / 10:04 AM / CBS News

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron-variant-death-covid-uk-boris-johnson-warns-tidal-wave-cases/

 

*******

If I were as smart as you, I would find some other way to brag about it.

- DSK

This appears to not be related to the NFL players testing positive.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

Watching the MNF game and I saw Tebow hawking a car.  

Glad he has found something he can do.

Glad your glad about something cause honestly you’re a a dour mope.  Maybe you should start a thread on your man crush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

This appears to not be related to the NFL players testing positive.  

It might appear that way if you really really don't want to hear that the Omicron variant can be deadly.

I hope it stays less deadly, but the "nothing to worry about" blather is not fact-based.

- DSK

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It might appear that way if you really really don't want to hear that the Omicron variant can be deadly.

I hope it stays less deadly, but the "nothing to worry about" blather is not fact-based.

- DSK

 

If you are going to take issue with something I said,  take issue with something I said.  For example I have not said that Omicron can not be deadly.  In point of fact I posted a tweet that suggests so far Omicron is 25x less deadly than delta and has probably peaked in SA. So take issue with that.  I’d have to check but if it’s 25x less deadly than Delta that would seem to make similar to influenza.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

If you are going to take issue with something I said,  take issue with something I said.  For example I have not said that Omicron can not be deadly.  In point of fact I posted a tweet that suggests so far Omicron is 25x less deadly than delta and has probably peaked in SA. So take issue with that.  I’d have to check but if it’s 25x less deadly than Delta that would seem to make similar to influenza.

Not sure there are enough numbers in yet. Flu still kills a lot of people, covid will still have severe after-effects in many people.

Another issue with Omicron is that it seems to be evading immune antibodies, particularly those induced by Delta.

As for contagion within the NFL, has the league dropped any restrictions? I don't follow football (or any professional sports) closely.

- DSK

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not sure there are enough numbers in yet. Flu still kills a lot of people, covid will still have severe after-effects in many people.

Another issue with Omicron is that it seems to be evading immune antibodies, particularly those induced by Delta.

As for contagion within the NFL, has the league dropped any restrictions? I don't follow football (or any professional sports) closely.

- DSK

 

That is something I’d like to hear discussed going forward.  How prevalent is “long Covid” in Omicron vs Delta and Alpha.  The data on Delta should be in by now but I’ve not read anything about it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

That is something I’d like to hear discussed going forward.  How prevalent is “long Covid” in Omicron vs Delta and Alpha.  The data on Delta should be in by now but I’ve not read anything about it.  

So far I haven't seen anything discriminating long covid cases by variant.

The college kids with liver damage are still bitching about not being able to drink, since I clicked on it once last year Facebook thinks I want to hear about it.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgotten people?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/13/us/covid-deaths-elderly-americans.html

As the coronavirus pandemic approaches the end of a second year, the United States stands on the cusp of surpassing 800,000 deaths from the virus, and no group has suffered more than older Americans. All along, older people have been known to be more vulnerable, but the scale of loss is only now coming into full view.

snip

“People are worried right now,” said Ann Cunningham, 84, who lives in a high-rise designated for seniors in Chicago, where a television room and a community room have remained shut down since March 2020. “If you’ve been inside for a long time, and the only time you talk to somebody is to get your mail or go down to the deli, that is a lot of isolation and loneliness for some people. They feel like nobody in the world cares for them.”

Seventy-five percent of people who have died of the virus in the United States — or about 600,000 of the nearly 800,000 who have perished so far — have been 65 or older. One in 100 older Americans has died from the virus. For people younger than 65, that ratio is closer to 1 in 1,400.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My co-worker, UK, triple vaxxed, just hit the ER due to low oxygen.

I’ve got an 18 year old kid coming to spend a week with us as his mom has to go back to Canada to take care of her father, and his dad is a raging covid denier asshole. The kid got into UC but had to drop due to long-Covid symptoms. Fuck gaytor and the Pollyanna squad. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Good news from Pfizer!  Their anti-viral is 89% effective in preventing hospitalization or death.  Between this and vaccination and it’s going to put serious pressure on this virus.

Others could read it for themselves here but pay wall

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/health/pfizer-covid-19-pill-paxlovid.html

You are such a poseur.

All-American teams were announced.  When was the last time UF was shutout?

In the future, cite your source for Covid anything.  You are scary stupid and I will ask to get you tossed.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Good news from Pfizer!  Their anti-viral is 89% effective in preventing hospitalization or death.  Between this and vaccination and it’s going to put serious pressure on this virus.

Ha. tell us another one just like the other one, oh tell us another one do!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Personal responsibility!!!!!

You're talking about the unvaxxed taking responsibility for themselves? That'd be well and good of course, but the overwhelming share of covid's cost (and basically all public health measures) is footed by governments, aka the taxpayers.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

You're talking about the unvaxxed taking responsibility for themselves? That'd be well and good of course, but the overwhelming share of covid's cost (and basically all public health measures) is footed by governments, aka the taxpayers.

 

 

 

 

I bet if the states had to cover the costs there would be some rapid reshuffling of the deck chairs.

"PLEASE GET VACCINATED!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I bet if the states had to cover the costs there would be some rapid reshuffling of the deck chairs.

"PLEASE GET VACCINATED!"

Depends on the state I suppose. DeathSantis was having Floriduh pay for some treatment marketed by one of his main donors.