US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

5 hours ago, Fakenews said:

mask mandate..........it’s deeply silly.

From this side of the Pacific, the bog standard 25yr old 'puter won't pick up John Hopkins, but looking at Worldometer I see the #1 country is still tonking along averaging 70k infections and 1000 deaths a day. At this rate 800k dead by Xmas is possible and with the fully vaccinated GOP leadership advocating every measure possible to allow covid to flourish this winter, knocking over the WW2 death toll is plausible.

Another milestone for TFG #45  

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

For a couple of years I thought Trump was the problem but increasingly I am thinking that the problem is actually that there are just so many dumb American voters who eat up this sort of crap. There s

Posted Images

Last week infections averaged 83K in the US up 14% from the week before.  Fauci said the # needs to be at 10k/day or less which we haven't seen since March 2020. Really needs to be at 3k. Meanwhile HISD (8th largest school district in the US still has a mask mandate with resulting infections less than half the other districts.  If Mikey/Kateshitfurbranes is reading this no it's not peer reviewed it's just statistics. Based on evidence.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Deaths tend to lag cases by about 2 weeks. 

This increase may not top out as high as others, but it IS worth watching.

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 6.36.54 PM.png

It's amazing to me how many people want to be on this chart.

The troubling news is out of Europe. Ireland in particular.   Still too early to tell, but it looks like we have entered a COVID era.   Waves of it will come and go.  The unvaccinated will be 2nd class citizens, as they should be, but with the new treatments they won't be perishing as much as before.  So the focus will shift from cases to illness.  And if it turns out a yearly booster is required to live a normal life, many of us will.   Vaccines will keep it at bay, mostly, and the new anti-viral pills will mitigate things enough that we will eventually just shrug and take our risk as we choose.  

The only way out of this right now that I see is a scenario where the natural immunity lasts a lot longer then we think and vaccinated people get Corona Lite, recover and then have super immunity.  The delta variant is so contagious everyone is going to get it.  So maybe once that happens natural immunity will prove long lasting.  But based on recent data, it seems like natural immunity fades too.  

32 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

The troubling news is out of Europe. Ireland in particular.   Still too early to tell, but it looks like we have entered a COVID era.   Waves of it will come and go.  The unvaccinated will be 2nd class citizens, as they should be, but with the new treatments they won't be perishing as much as before.  So the focus will shift from cases to illness.  And if it turns out a yearly booster is required to live a normal life, many of us will.   Vaccines will keep it at bay, mostly, and the new anti-viral pills will mitigate things enough that we will eventually just shrug and take our risk as we choose. 

If enough people got vaccinated covid can indeed move into the direction of the where bad years also stress the medical systems in countries but not to the limit of breaking them. And yes in bad flu years people also die from it. Currently it is mostly a pandemic of the unvaxed since the breakthrough infections which are bound to happen with a around 80% effectivity of the vaccine have a mild course, maybe even with hospitalization, but only very few serious courses where indeed intensive care is needed. Here in Germany with huge infections numbers the absolute majority of people with covid on ICUs are unvaccinated and only few of them are vaccinated.Since the number of unvaccinated is still relatively high (around 25-30%) were are at the brink of breaking the system with that many of them ending up in the ICUs.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:03 PM, Mrleft8 said:

lM_mfjygmT6icqKKg7I5LRdZj15cRXMRxUCpzv3tm5fGPIuxOqqqHFO7ZASv9zMRtGGSXDR9XRv8Y0nMNe5J5s5S6LcPsii-MJuae3xkil7S8bJ0jS0Kn4CDpdbHfoJWnRtdiLc-bUvsyl0TfH1g6uJd9URpHC_LeQqUJo1SxrcwFkIkuGmKXbeOUQKx11WSRKv2W3kVv1jl6LdCgbYz1C0y1cXSuSNPEkFdD8-ENYhN_artyz9EBf0ZnreoDgbDyQjCvK10ma3uYwYQrGALr_8VUCD59gKnQ2ro4ZwEOG8oDWez1xiY9pL45SS4N1U3uKG-DVM1g8pkyvANyshStPlzN0mUeGuWv87yieqApHLUtLy0L6zEMJKLrSfL7z5hZdXKzyZMH1nCBA7lEp_yfhKWPWwHDIANdoVoOFhfcKEs29CwASqxkNagLPyBQd4hzIdeoB8w3BsC48N5jjEDxFKhy2W_lSjwJalM-7v8eWWIM7TaH3Z1eoQxDorVNEKZG5AoMtqqynzXkAOLutJ5lAiRDMYU6RI5BfYuE5w6y6k8vymjo6WFW7Wb2IP2R3rDqMmSoNRNcnl7NHkdyBDSzHbnk_9EgfOwPBFK64ChtYi-ESFmu62YRP_aJqZZoZCT7FV8ZEWPyqPl5KG2lNtfXxACzKmCMoD4TtrV7uV21kHNsMT50pwiB-DKZwaIkXoTRonw_AMgwwcFZrQBvBtUup5q=w550-h400-no?authuser=0

8XWxgKExbmdPGKxqIWKIJE0wy9wDnH5ilRwEYweUn-EKwGqQ0jtuAfDhOmb2e39mln8bFhRahi0zS9q7iNkKxxrTy62fgJEU8l6YkhPxYFcPGHxoMUDyRIrD1KSOCfc5vGkwJ1FaV2-K-Bifmzdc-WeOfz3KBWzMcffMd4l1k1mERI3FsNdMO6R9SC8F499WffbJWpFZ2dfItQbsqSCFJ5QlfXQgpMoZaO_c2VHRdccZxRPwgPL5qlLjIBcVuAihrEQx37_wPwUejpG_r2dDPFHcMDUPgjdcXPY8zYPhQ_ZcBOitKAIOnxhNcwwTwoL7ZntMbKIUmeZp0ZWKlPSx14zb-5WxQEbb3cCBOT1le1aeRruPOr0BT5Mn-32ZAj8YasCTMk1w4RRcfTF-T_NOLuO2VqHex0Q0PxMYF3e02NKLciL4iyAESzzbn_QjkFcUNxa9l6plsPWndI0wiT4YTHgiJaaCaxzqmlWzGQVUpCaf5Tm_J_eZedEiM8nrem1Q9eeCm9WOfBV6sTWe3jd2NUCAajvWfeitEvfJeawUAJPySZRfhZfezuZS8PQxuLY7iVnwAANLijHiNGoE_JrKyjoXSxSKe7EFRKV51aZGk_gxEG8L2QzjeUfPyRWswVvsPqYYgoi4wpgWYNbF_1sew5euVEnaQxD91VDbEgMeAuMKIbT3jGcFmNnaBQTV5KWa_818xTD_jRFbg_Rf8n_dhy_1=w550-h400-no?authuser=0

SOOPER CUTE! I have the grey version of this green eyed kittie (Ne Ne Ne Sumiregawa-sensei, her sister Yomiko Readman-sensei is black, same green eyes though).

Mentioned before, Seattle's upcoming anime convention which is the biggest event on my personal calendar, & still remain a bit alarmed at the dearth of pandemic specific info on the convention's website, hopefully something along the lines of "proof of vax to attend".

I do intend however to mask up, eating & drinking excepted, unlike this Fake fool.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:01 AM, The Joker said:

Why do you think the public is suddenly buying masks?   Perhaps the full court doom being predicted by the democrats and the media.  In 2009 we had over 20,000 swine flu cases and 1000 deaths in the US.  So unless this is dramatically worse I not worried about how the US will handle it.  

Good news it looks  like it is slowing down in China. 

Whenever you find yourself getting lost in the weeds of the Joker's insane partisan ramblings, as I am guilty of, just go back to the Holy Grail of all his insane partisan ramblings and everything else he posts going forward is irrelevant.  Relapse ALWAYS leads to a deeper bottom.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

Whenever you find yourself getting lost in the weeds of the Joker's insane partisan ramblings, as I am guilty of, just go back to the Holy Grail of all his insane partisan ramblings and everything else he posts going forward is irrelevant.  Relapse ALWAYS leads to a deeper bottom.

That’s awesome. Yay, we’re number 1! Being the best prepared doesn’t mean much when leadership tries to bullshit a virus. But hey, at least it hasn’t been as bad as Ebola!

1 hour ago, Nice! said:

Just stopping in to check on this thread. The richest country in the world has lost 1 out if every 450 people to Covid.

Hows that best prepared thing working out?

The Pandemic Response Manual should have stated in big letters on page 1:

#1. Shoot Trump

A flood of covid patients causes 'almost unmanageable strain' in Michigan as cases rise nationwide

At Spectrum Health, a major health-care system here, officials spent part of last week debating whether to move to "red status" in a show of how strained hospitals had become.

A flood of mostly unvaccinated covid-19 patients was arriving at emergency departments already packed with people suffering other medical issues, sending capacity to unprecedented levels. The only hesitation for Spectrum's decision-makers? Data suggested the covid surge was not over.

5 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

A flood of covid patients causes 'almost unmanageable strain' in Michigan as cases rise nationwide

At Spectrum Health, a major health-care system here, officials spent part of last week debating whether to move to "red status" in a show of how strained hospitals had become.

A flood of mostly unvaccinated covid-19 patients was arriving at emergency departments already packed with people suffering other medical issues, sending capacity to unprecedented levels. The only hesitation for Spectrum's decision-makers? Data suggested the covid surge was not over.

We’re gonna need a full-on bullshitter moving goalpost for this, stat! C’mon bullshitters…point out how deaths are down to get people to stop talking about hospitalizations.  When deaths start to take off, distract people with new case counts. Get to work, bullshitters. 

49 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I challenge any person to start a thread with a dumber title!

The thing is, the US *was* best positioned to manage this. There were playbooks written and ready to go. All they had to do was go to page 1 and follow the steps.

A Hillary administration would have. About half of the currently dead people would not be currently dead. But then again she *did* use email... 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Nice! said:

The thing is, the US *was* best positioned to manage this. There were playbooks written and ready to go. All they had to do was go to page 1 and follow the steps.

A Hillary administration would have. About half of the currently dead people would not be currently dead. But then again she *did* use email... 

You are either the funniest mojo I've ever met or the end of a bad joke!

21 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Omicron is in the UK, Fauci says it’s probably already here.  Great.  We need to send superimmmune gator to Miami airport to lick deplaning passengers to get ahead of this.

Does anyone think that it isn’t already here in the US?

To the surprise of no one who understands how mutations/evolution proceed, it sure looks like the calls for the end of the pandemic might have been a bit premature.

No surprise the variant came from a part of the world with a vaccination rate below 25%.

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

To the surprise of no one who understands how mutations/evolution proceed, it sure looks like the calls for the end of the pandemic might have been a bit premature.

No surprise the variant came from a part of the world with a vaccination rate below 25%.

It's almost like some of us have seen this movie before, and know how it ends. The rest are mad at us for being spoilers.

- DSK

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Well those poor folks just need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and be born in a more affluent country! They better damn well do it soon before they get us all killed. 

in other news, I smell a great big commie RAT! They’re all working with the democRATS. 

E3DB37F7-8686-4DDC-8031-01C1CAFC6C50.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Well those poor folks just need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and be born in a more affluent country! They better damn well do it soon before they get us all killed. 

in other news, I smell a great big commie RAT! They’re all working with the democRATS. 

E3DB37F7-8686-4DDC-8031-01C1CAFC6C50.jpeg

To think that this loon was an admiral and the White House doctor. Only the best people.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's almost like some of us have seen this movie before, and know how it ends. The rest are mad at us for being spoilers.

- DSK

TBF, you haven't seen how it ends.  Because we're still watching it, like the the Beatles doc, it just goes on and on and on...

3 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

Yeah, he hasn't helped at all.  "Superimmune" and declaring the pandemic over were stupid.

If you’re vaxed it’s over.  Doubly so if vaxed and previously infected.  There will be no more lock downs.  We are in the endemic stage and moving on. Pandemics end. Sooner rather than later in the era of modern medicine.

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

If you’re vaxed it’s over.  Doubly so if vaxed and previously infected.  There will be no more lock downs.  We are in the endemic stage and moving on. Pandemics end. Sooner rather than later in the era of modern medicine.

Never ending BS on this one. 30 different mutations of the corona protein. Unknown if that’s enough to get by our vaccines. Won’t know for a few weeks.

in other news, speculation that it could have come from the HIV positive community, as folks on immunosuppressants give the virus more generations to mutate.

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Never ending BS on this one. 30 different mutations of the corona protein. Unknown if that’s enough to get by our vaccines. Won’t know for a few weeks.

in other news, speculation that it could have come from the HIV positive community, as folks on immunosuppressants give the virus more generations to mutate.

Doubt there are too many HIV patients in Botswana on a drug cocktail.

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I'm sure Fox News will claim the Omicron variant is God's way of punishing The Gays.

5 hours ago, Fakenews said:

And you’d be wrong, again. They have universal coverage of the HIV cocktail in Botswana. 380,000 people currently taking it.

15 hours ago, Fakenews said:

I volunteered in Lesotho for several months. Lesotho is a poor neighbour of Botswana which has a large diamond industry to provide some wealth, at least for the region. When I was in Lesotho HIV drugs were just coming on strong courtesy of the efforts of Bush the Lessor, basically about the only good thing the man did. A month's worth of anti-AIDS drugs cost either $1 or were free, never found out why there was a difference. I was working at a high school way up in the highlands a long way from nowhere. There was a small clinic there that did AIDS tests and handed out the drugs as required. If Lesotho had it I am sure South Africa which is much wealthier did and does.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that at least 700,000 people, in the United States alone, are totally immune to all present and future variants after contracting Covid. Of course, they are also dead. How many more unvaccinated patriots are going to die on this hill?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

I read somewhere that at least 700,000 people, in the United States alone, are totally immune to all present and future variants after contracting Covid. Of course, they are also dead. How many more unvaccinated patriots are going to die on this hill?

they also cannot spread it.

- DSK

26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

That’s the kind of voluntary immunity I can get behind. If only they go all in and avoid healthcare altogether. Covid, cancer, diabetes, etc. Really own the libs!

19 hours ago, Raz'r said:

And you’d be wrong, again. They have universal coverage of the HIV cocktail in Botswana. 380,000 people currently taking it.

IT may come as a surprise to our opinionated pals on here that medical care in places like central Africa can be quite sophisticated.  Care in Rwanda, for example, is in many ways superior to US medical care. And not profit -based.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-drones-are-delivering-lifesaving-medical-supplies-in-rwanda

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

8 hours ago, Voyageur said:

Add another city's worth, the size of Flint, Michigan or Albany NY, who volunteered for the placebo group of the efficacy study.

Now it's 800,000.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

800,000 US Covid dead. That’s what I call #1, bullshitters!

True the little sociopath has been caught lying on multiple occasions but the shitlibs are following him like rats to the pied piper. Go figure. :ph34r: 

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, Venom said:

True the little sociopath has been caught lying on multiple occasions but the shitlibs are following him like rats to the pied piper. Go figure. :ph34r: 

Trump had over 35,000 false or misleading claims during the course of his presidency. That's about 730 per month. Joe has been in office for 11 months. Can you cite me 8000 that Joe or his administration has made?

15 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Trump had over 35,000 false or misleading claims during the course of his presidency. That's about 730 per month. Joe has been in office for 11 months. Can you cite me 8000 that Joe or his administration has made?

In the small mind of The Faithful, the actual magnitude doesn't matter.

The Former Guy lied.  President Biden lied.  To Venom, they are equivalent.

Biden hasn't cured Covid yet!

A federal judge on Monday blocked President Joe Biden’s administration from enforcing a coronavirus vaccine mandate on thousands of health care workers in 10 states that had brought the first legal challenge against the requirement.

The court order said that the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid had no clear authority from Congress to enact the vaccine mandate for providers participating in the two government health care programs for the elderly, disabled and poor.

The preliminary injunction by St. Louis-based U.S. District Judge Matthew Schelp applies to a coalition of suing states that includes Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming. All those states have either a Republican attorney general or governor. Similar lawsuits also are pending in other states.

The federal rule requires COVID-19 vaccinations for more than 17 million workers nationwide in about 76,000 health care facilities and home health care providers that get funding from the government health programs. Workers are to receive their first dose by Dec. 6 and their second shot by Jan. 4.

The court order against the health care vaccine mandate comes after Biden's administration suffered a similar setback for a broader policy. A federal court previously placed a hold on a separate rule requiring businesses with more than 100 employees to ensure their workers get vaccinated or else wear masks and get tested weekly for the coronavirus.

Biden’s administration contends federal rules supersede state policies prohibiting vaccine mandates and are essential to slowing the pandemic, which has killed more than 775,000 people in the U.S. About three-fifths of the U.S. population already is fully vaccinated.

But the judge in the health care provider case wrote that federal officials likely overstepped their legal powers.

“CMS seeks to overtake an area of traditional state authority by imposing an unprecedented demand to federally dictate the private medical decisions of millions of Americans. Such action challenges traditional notions of federalism," Schelp wrote in his order.

Even under an exceedingly broad interpretation of federal powers, Congress did not clearly authorize CMS to enact "this politically and economically vast, federalism-altering, and boundary-pushing mandate,” wrote Schelp, who was appointed to the bench by former President Donald Trump.

I fucking wonder why.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-vaccine-rule-health-workers-184137096.html

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Biden hasn't cured Covid yet!

A federal judge on Monday blocked President Joe Biden’s administration from enforcing a coronavirus vaccine mandate on thousands of health care workers in 10 states that had brought the first legal challenge against the requirement.

The court order said that the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid had no clear authority from Congress to enact the vaccine mandate for providers participating in the two government health care programs for the elderly, disabled and poor.

The preliminary injunction by St. Louis-based U.S. District Judge Matthew Schelp applies to a coalition of suing states that includes Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming. All those states have either a Republican attorney general or governor. Similar lawsuits also are pending in other states.

The federal rule requires COVID-19 vaccinations for more than 17 million workers nationwide in about 76,000 health care facilities and home health care providers that get funding from the government health programs. Workers are to receive their first dose by Dec. 6 and their second shot by Jan. 4.

The court order against the health care vaccine mandate comes after Biden's administration suffered a similar setback for a broader policy. A federal court previously placed a hold on a separate rule requiring businesses with more than 100 employees to ensure their workers get vaccinated or else wear masks and get tested weekly for the coronavirus.

Biden’s administration contends federal rules supersede state policies prohibiting vaccine mandates and are essential to slowing the pandemic, which has killed more than 775,000 people in the U.S. About three-fifths of the U.S. population already is fully vaccinated.

But the judge in the health care provider case wrote that federal officials likely overstepped their legal powers.

“CMS seeks to overtake an area of traditional state authority by imposing an unprecedented demand to federally dictate the private medical decisions of millions of Americans. Such action challenges traditional notions of federalism," Schelp wrote in his order.

Even under an exceedingly broad interpretation of federal powers, Congress did not clearly authorize CMS to enact "this politically and economically vast, federalism-altering, and boundary-pushing mandate,” wrote Schelp, who was appointed to the bench by former President Donald Trump.

Expand  

I fucking wonder why.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-vaccine-rule-health-workers-184137096.html

This gives the dumbshits a better chance at owning the libs by dying.

11 hours ago, Nice! said:

Trump lies more, is that your contention? :D

• Downvote 1

Just posting some good news.  Omicron is apparently a bust.  Quite contagious also much less severe than Alpha or Delta.  Pfizer said boosted people writ large have robust protection.  People with hybrid immunity like myself have zero to fear.   Combined with the new antivirals, this looks like the end of COVID as a concern for vaxinated.

FakeDoctor once again trying to get ahead of the news by making his own ego-based diagnosis.

From CDC.

Today.

"We don’t yet know how easily it spreads, the severity of illness it causes, or how well available vaccines and medications work against it.

What We Know about Omicron

Infection and Spread

• How easily does Omicron spread? The Omicron variant likely will spread more easily than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus and how easily Omicron spreads compared to Delta remains unknown. CDC expects that anyone with Omicron infection can spread the virus to others, even if they are vaccinated or don’t have symptoms.
  • Will Omicron cause more severe illness? More data are needed to know if Omicron infections, and especially reinfections and breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated, cause more severe illness or death than infection with other variants.
  • Will vaccines work against Omicron? Current vaccines are expected to protect against severe illness, hospitalizations, and deaths due to infection with the Omicron variant. However, breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated are likely to occur. With other variants, like Delta, vaccines have remained effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. The recent emergence of Omicron further emphasizes the importance of vaccination and boosters.
  • Will treatments work against Omicron? Scientists are working to determine how well existing treatments for COVID-19 work. Based on the changed genetic make-up of Omicron, some treatments are likely to remain effective while others may be less effective."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/omicron-variant.html

Let's please stop with the Fake Doctor shit, the misinformation shit, and try to stick to what is known rather than make amateur predictions to stroke your self-esteem. We all know you think you're impervious and immortal, and, (to quote from a Monty Python movie) Gosh, we're really impressed down here. But just stop. Please stop. Someone might actually believe you.

3 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

FakeDoctor once again trying to get ahead of the news by making his own ego-based diagnosis.

From CDC.

Today.

"We don’t yet know how easily it spreads, the severity of illness it causes, or how well available vaccines and medications work against it.

What We Know about Omicron

Infection and Spread

• How easily does Omicron spread? The Omicron variant likely will spread more easily than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus and how easily Omicron spreads compared to Delta remains unknown. CDC expects that anyone with Omicron infection can spread the virus to others, even if they are vaccinated or don’t have symptoms.
  • Will Omicron cause more severe illness? More data are needed to know if Omicron infections, and especially reinfections and breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated, cause more severe illness or death than infection with other variants.
  • Will vaccines work against Omicron? Current vaccines are expected to protect against severe illness, hospitalizations, and deaths due to infection with the Omicron variant. However, breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated are likely to occur. With other variants, like Delta, vaccines have remained effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. The recent emergence of Omicron further emphasizes the importance of vaccination and boosters.
  • Will treatments work against Omicron? Scientists are working to determine how well existing treatments for COVID-19 work. Based on the changed genetic make-up of Omicron, some treatments are likely to remain effective while others may be less effective."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/omicron-variant.html

Let's please stop with the Fake Doctor shit, the misinformation shit, and try to stick to what is known rather than make amateur predictions to stroke your self-esteem. We all know you think you're impervious and immortal, and, (to quote from a Monty Python movie) Gosh, we're really impressed down here. But just stop. Please stop. Someone might actually believe you.

Unfortunately the CDC has developed a pretty tattered rep wrt COVID.  It stated with Redfield and hasn’t improved much with the current director.  I am reminded how she spoke of a sense of impending doom just a day before they announced a relaxation of masking guidance.  To this day they are saying all passengers at transit locations should wear masks which is deeply silly.  They have a real problem with transparency and are alway late to the table wrt new developments.  I note what they have to say but right now Pfizer and Moderna are doing a much better job of assessing the facts on the ground. So yeah fade the CDC for guidance and focus on what the vaccine makers are telling us.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Just posting some good news.  Omicron is apparently a bust.  Quite contagious also much less severe than Alpha or Delta.  Pfizer said boosted people writ large have robust protection.  People with hybrid immunity like myself have zero to fear.   Combined with the new antivirals, this looks like the end of COVID as a concern for vaxinated.

Jeezus, you act like you're the only one who had COVID and are vaccinated.  Many people I know are the same.  Not one calls themselves super-immune either.

8 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

Jeezus, you act like you're the only one who had COVID and are vaccinated.  Many people I know are the same.  Not one calls themselves super-immune either.

Clearly the people you know are not blessed with a medical degree from a college about 3.5 hours drive from "world class beaches".

Face it, @Fakenews is a lost cause.  He had no qualms about infecting others in the gym, because one of them infected him.  Truly a 1st class fuck-knuckle.

42 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Your permission is noted and given the consideration it deserves, right along with your quack, doctor-wanna-be, medical advice.

I’m not giving medical advice.  I’m merely pointing  out the avalanche of good news as this pandemic winds down for the vaxed.  I’ve found however that a significant number of people can’t handle good news.  Makes them unhappy.

Weird.

40 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

To be fair to them they may not know about their super immunity.  Public health officials don’t like to discuss that needs people don’t know it’s a thing.

There *are* some early reports that Omicron presents differently than previous variants, and that the symptoms seem to be more mild. It's too early for anything to be conclusive, though.

It's interesting to note that this is what happened to the Spanish Flu. It mutated into something more contagious but less dangerous, and faded into the background of regular flu strains. It took 3 years to do this, although it was closer to 2.5 years in any one geographic area.

If Covid follows this pattern, Omicron could be signaling the beginning of the end of this thing.

NOTE: I am not a medical professional. There are lots of ifs in the above statement.

4 minutes ago, Nice! said:

There *are* some early reports that Omicron presents differently than previous variants, and that the symptoms seem to be more mild. It's too early for anything to be conclusive, though.

It's interesting to note that this is what happened to the Spanish Flu. It mutated into something more contagious but less dangerous, and faded into the background of regular flu strains. It took 3 years to do this, although it was closer to 2.5 years in any one geographic area.

If Covid follows this pattern, Omicron could be signaling the beginning of the end of this thing.

NOTE: I am not a medical professional. There are lots of ifs in the above statement.

We’ve seen this play out before.  Pandemics end.  Sooner than later in the era of modern medicine.  

There is a difference between vigilance and complacency.  Some of us choose to be vigilant, as that is what will work best to get past this pandemic.  Others - looking at you, Reptilian Wonder Blunder- have let down their guard and are insisting things are nearly back to normal.

The big reason Omicron could still 'significantly prolong the pandemic'

“Does Omicron lead to less severe illness than prior variants? We don't [know] yet,” Dr. Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, cautioned Tuesday. “That's an uncertainty that will remain until we see much larger numbers of people age 60+ without immunity” getting infected.

And the problem is that many of them will get infected with Omicron.

By Wednesday, South Africa detected 19,842 new COVID-19 cases — a 131 percent increase from one week ago and the largest daily total since July. Nearly 27 percent of tests are coming back positive. Scientists there have said the new variant appears to spread more than twice as quickly as Delta — and that at least part of the reason is because the risk of reinfection with Omicron is roughly 2.4 times higher than with the original version of the virus, according to their estimates.

Of course, there are likely to be other variants that develop.  Despite what Dr. Fakenews says, there are no guarantees they will be less infectious/virulent.  They may be.  But, maybe not.

He'd like to gamble with your life

• Like 1

The small Northern California city of Oroville became a national news story in the month of November when its city council voted 6-1 in favor of a resolution branding the city as a "constitutional republic" that would not enforce state or federal COVID-19 mandates.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-politics/article/Oroville-California-constitutional-republic-COVID-16685110.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

One of the in-laws father was from Oroville and had Covid. He died this week. The one time I was up there, there were two books on the bookshelf. The Bible and Mein Kampf. Because of that and the gunz, I'll just call it a suicide cult. Tom will be by shortly to call it a libertarian paradise.

1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

The small Northern California city of Oroville became a national news story in the month of November when its city council voted 6-1 in favor of a resolution branding the city as a "constitutional republic" that would not enforce state or federal COVID-19 mandates.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-politics/article/Oroville-California-constitutional-republic-COVID-16685110.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

One of the in-laws father was from Oroville and had Covid. He died this week. The one time I was up there, there were two books on the bookshelf. The Bible and Mein Kampf. Because of that and the gunz, I'll just call it a suicide cult.

I really just can't get my head around USAnians reading and liking and advocating for the ideas in 'Mein Kampf.'

- DSK

36 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

One of the in-laws father was from Oroville and had Covid. He died this week. The one time I was up there, there were two books on the bookshelf. The Bible and Mein Kampf. Because of that and the gunz, I'll just call it a suicide cult. Tom will be by shortly to call it a libertarian paradise.

Copycats

https://conchrepublic.com/

New article on a vaccine developed here in Houston Baylor developed vaccine could soon receive overseas authorization  - it's cheap to produce (no patent) and requires no special handling.  Dr. Peter Hotez is our local expert and regularly updates on the pandemic.  What I didn't realize is when all the vaccines were being introduced (this had been in development for 10 years) Operation Warp Speed ignored it.  So delays coming from lack of funding. 

The process to getting the vaccine fully funded stalled last year, while other projects received funding from the Trump Administration’s accelerated COVID-19 vaccination program, also known as Operation Warp Speed.

"The hard part for me was we had to raise money for this, because at the time, operation WARP speed couldn't care less about a simple durable vaccine for low and middle income countries. It was all about speed and innovation," Hotez says

If we had a fraction of the help that Moderna or Pfizer got from the U.S. government, or the G7 countries, in my opinion, the world could have been vaccinated by now, and we'd never be having a discussion about the Omicron variant" Hotez said.

Meanwhile back on the ranch: Texas has a new hotline for workers to report employers requiring COVID-19 vaccines, in violation of Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order banning such mandates.

sigh  facepalm

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

There is a difference between vigilance and complacency.  Some of us choose to be vigilant, as that is what will work best to get past this pandemic.  Others - looking at you, Reptilian Wonder Blunder- have let down their guard and are insisting things are nearly back to normal.

The big reason Omicron could still 'significantly prolong the pandemic'

“Does Omicron lead to less severe illness than prior variants? We don't [know] yet,” Dr. Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, cautioned Tuesday. “That's an uncertainty that will remain until we see much larger numbers of people age 60+ without immunity” getting infected.

And the problem is that many of them will get infected with Omicron.

By Wednesday, South Africa detected 19,842 new COVID-19 cases — a 131 percent increase from one week ago and the largest daily total since July. Nearly 27 percent of tests are coming back positive. Scientists there have said the new variant appears to spread more than twice as quickly as Delta — and that at least part of the reason is because the risk of reinfection with Omicron is roughly 2.4 times higher than with the original version of the virus, according to their estimates.

Of course, there are likely to be other variants that develop.  Despite what Dr. Fakenews says, there are no guarantees they will be less infectious/virulent.  They may be.  But, maybe not.

He'd like to gamble with your life

You should definitely mask up if it makes you feel better.  I would never tell someone not to even if it’s not needed.