US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

21 minutes ago, Keith said:

Why would you put yourself, your family and your friends at risk by going into any place that most people where unmasked?

With the exceptionally easy spread of this variation,  that's not intelligent.

Because I will be just fine if I get COVID again and if I infect a vaxed person they'll be just fine as well.  I don't worry about bad influenza season either and there’s no effective vax  or booster for that.  I only wear a mask on a plane and that’s because they make me.  I’m not concerned about being in a crowd at all.

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bus Driver

• mikewof

• Fakenews

• Raz'r

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

Why is it so difficult to get people to understand that its not about me,  its about we.....

Merry Christmas, and stop being a spreader. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Keith said:

Why is it so difficult to get people to understand that its not about me,  its about we.....

“We” can be totally fine if “we” get vaxed and boosted.  If “we” chose not to do so then darnn right I don’t care about we.  Of course it it makes you feel better there’s no one stopping you from wearing a mask for the rest of your life.

24 minutes ago, Keith said:

When you are a selfish and self-centered narcissistic prick like Gaston, everyone else is incidental.

Who knows how many he infected at the gym?  Who knows how many he will infect?

He doesn't care.  He just flat-out will not be inconvenienced.

16 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

When you are a selfish and self-centered narcissistic prick like Gaston, everyone else is incidental.

Who knows how many he infected at the gym?  Who knows how many he will infect?

He doesn't care.  He just flat-out will not be inconvenienced.

I was inconvenienced for a year plus.  But as a good citizen I got vaxed (and boosted).  Now I don’t need to be inconvenienced anymore .  Neither do you

45 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I was inconvenienced for a year plus.  But as a good citizen I got vaxed (and boosted).  Now I don’t need to be inconvenienced anymore .  Neither do you

It's not wan inconvenience to care about others and mask up.

That you feel it is an unacceptable inconvenience makes clear what a shit human being you are.

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Because I will be just fine if I get COVID again and if I infect a vaxed person they'll be just fine as well.  I don't worry about bad influenza season either and there’s no effective vax  or booster for that.  I only wear a mask on a plane and that’s because they make me.  I’m not concerned about being in a crowd at all.

I would be sad if you croaked, you really need to be smarter.

First Omicron Death In U.S.: Reinfection In Unvaccinated Man Who Previously Had Covid-19. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/12/22/first-omicron-death-in-us-reinfection-in-unvaccinated-man-who-previously-had-covid-19/?sh=79ac10043621

42 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

First Omicron Death In U.S.: Reinfection In Unvaccinated Man Who Previously Had Covid-19. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/12/22/first-omicron-death-in-us-reinfection-in-unvaccinated-man-who-previously-had-covid-19/?sh=79ac10043621

You should also share stories of apparently healthy people who die of influenza.  Happens a lot.  I’m not concerned about that either. 

58 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

It's not wan inconvenience to care about others and mask up.

That you feel it is an unacceptable inconvenience makes clear what a shit human being you are.

I don’t care about the willingly unvaxed.  We know you don’t really care about other people either because your entire life you’ve gone around spreading influenza which kills 1’0’s of thousands of vunerable people and not once worn a mask.  Now that you are vaxed and boosted you are engaging in virtue signaling which I guess is fine.  Just don’t expect other rational vaxed and boosted people to go along with what you want them to do.  Newsflash 80+% aren’t doing so.  Stop being an old man screaming into the wind

43 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I don’t care about the willingly unvaxed.  We know you don’t really care about other people either because your entire life you’ve gone around spreading influenza which kills 1’0’s of thousands of vunerable people and not once worn a mask.  Now that you are vaxed and boosted you are engaging in virtue signaling which I guess is fine.  Just don’t expect other rational vaxed and boosted people to go along with what you want them to do.  Newsflash 80+% aren’t doing so.  Stop being an old man screaming into the wind

I will see my nephew/godson tomorrow. First time since last Summer. We will not hug and will stay far apart, masked, as he is STILL suffering from the effects of COVID, more than a year since catching it. As someone with an autoimmune condition, he cannot be vaxxed, just like all those children under age 5. 

You continue to pretend it is only the willfully unvaxxed who are at risk. 

You are one despicable human being. I do so wish COVID visits someone close to you. Maybe then you’ll think about someone other than yourself. 

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

You are entitled to your opinion. But if it were me, I would worry about the special level Darwin Award just waiting with  your name on it. Be safe.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

How does flu affect your ambulance and hospital experience when you fall off your vespa?

You don't think the unvaccinated you infect will end up in hospital taking the bed of some boosted individual that has other reasons to be in hospital?

You might well consider yourself and your opinions bright for Florida, but you definitely aren't bright enough to measure yourself and your opinions against normal people.

8 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Most of them were either the size of a house (and not in a good way) or were trailing an oxygen tank.  To the lay person like yourself this might not mean much, but to the trained eye it suggests underlying  medical issues.

Strange, most of the unmasked I see around are under 50, 

Men, fit and suspiciously good looking, toned and with a Fuck you 'tude.

Women, blonde, ponytailed, tanned, wearing skin tight gym kits. With a "fuck you Attitude. The self entitled. Strangely, though they all claim to be medically exempt from mask wearing, non of them check in with the mandatory  gov QR code or use the provided hand sanitiser  either. Maybe they are exempt :rolleyes:

Lets face it Covid cases are no longer a major metric when discussing the virus.  I started to feel this way after the Delta crest but now with this very mild variant (which will reach everyone if the experts are to believed even if 70% of infections are asymptomatic)  it’s glaringly obvious to all but the most fearful.

But fear not!  Its not just me saying that,  Dr Jha the renown dean of public health at Brown university agree with me. Infections are no longer super important and striving to reduce transmission is no longer a priority. (It’s been this way for a couple of months).

https://www.mediaite.com/news/covid-19-cases-no-longer-major-metric-for-tracking-pandemic-says-health-expert/

For two years, infections always preceded hospitalizations which preceded deaths, so you could look at infections and know what was coming,” Jha said.

“Omicron changes that,” he added. “This is the shift we’ve been waiting for in many ways.” Jha’s comments come as many U.S. states record their highest case numbers yet. Florida hit a new record in the pandemic for the second day in a row as the state reported 32,850 daily new cases on Saturday, reported the AP.

Record tolls from countries around the globe, like France, also dominated headlines over the weekend.

“That’s very different than what we have seen in the past,” Jha continued. “So I no longer think infections, generally, should be the major metric.”

• Like 1

Lets face it Covid cases are no longer a major metric when discussing the virus.  I started to feel this way after the Delta crest but now with this very mild variant (which will reach everyone if the experts are to believed even if 70% of infections are asymptomatic)  it’s glaringly obvious to all but the most fearful.

But fear not!  Its not just me saying that,  Dr Jha the renown dean of public health at Brown university agree with me. Infections are no longer super important and striving to reduce transmission is no longer a priority. (It’s been this way for a couple of months).

https://www.mediaite.com/news/covid-19-cases-no-longer-major-metric-for-tracking-pandemic-says-health-expert/

For two years, infections always preceded hospitalizations which preceded deaths, so you could look at infections and know what was coming,” Jha said.

“Omicron changes that,” he added. “This is the shift we’ve been waiting for in many ways.” Jha’s comments come as many U.S. states record their highest case numbers yet. Florida hit a new record in the pandemic for the second day in a row as the state reported 32,850 daily new cases on Saturday, reported the AP.

Record tolls from countries around the globe, like France, also dominated headlines over the weekend.

“That’s very different than what we have seen in the past,” Jha continued. “So I no longer think infections, generally, should be the major metric.”

5382dd61-8bbd-4d64-833f-783e0f1bb69d_tex

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Yeah.  What do you know? 

I mean, we have Fakenews playing doctor.  Shirley, you agree he is a foremost expert, right?

He even presumes to say Dr. Jha agrees with him.

I really hope Omicron being mild + vaccines/boosters spells the end of the pandemic for all intents and purposes.   I've said before that there will come a tipping point where we are more concerned with illness rather than cases.    I'm not sure we are there. 

A lot of it will depend on what is going on in hospitals and, sadly, the unvaccinated are still fucking shit up and clogging the system.  This is the case today and this will likely be the case months from now because our hospitals are built on a profit system and were meant to run "lean"  etc.     And at the same time 30% of our population will not get vaccinated no matter what. 

A fascinating thing about the pandemic is that while it has exposed seriously flaws in our system it has not brought any changes. 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

A fascinating thing about the pandemic is that while it has exposed seriously flaws in our system it has not brought any changes. 

It has certainly brought the idiots out into the sunlight. Who knew there were that many astoundingly stupid people?

2 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

It has for me personally.  I'm vaccinated and boosted and I wear a mask when I go to stores, I wash my hands like someone who just committed murder, and unless we're going to have sex, I don't want to get that close.  I suspect the balance of my life will be spent following these practices.  

What bothers me, is that the US public, as a whole, is incapable of learning common sense.  Covid kills, vaccinations are wholly proven to help, they might be one of the most utilized vaccines in the history of man, but many people claim they are 'experimental'.  The mean IQ at least in the US has to be on the rise.  Very sad.   

23 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

What bothers me, is that the US public, as a whole, is incapable of learning common sense.

The survivors will. Eventually.

Then the stupids breed up and - here we go again.

30% deliberately and willfully refusing to get vaccinated. Fuck me, here in the land of Oz it's ~5% or so.

FKT

5 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Good work dumb fucks. Maybe playing it straight would stop a virus better than bullshitting. 

472662B7-5584-433D-AF54-AFA05723DCBA.jpeg

Wow, Manchin's minions appear to be ground zero for dead dumbfuckery. Well done, Joe!

We just got home from a trip to Erie, PA where we stayed in a hotel tied to a local indoor water park. It was stunning the number of whole families running around unmasked in the dining areas, halls, elevators and common areas. Northwest PA is on fire w/ covid.

Fortunately, we quickly found walking up and down stairs granted us automatic social distancing since obese fuckers haven't discovered stairwells.

34 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Wow, Manchin's minions appear to be ground zero for dead dumbfuckery. Well done, Joe!

We just got home from a trip to Erie, PA where we stayed in a hotel tied to a local indoor water park. It was stunning the number of whole families running around unmasked in the dining areas, halls, elevators and common areas. Northwest PA is on fire w/ covid.

Fortunately, we quickly found walking up and down stairs granted us automatic social distancing since obese fuckers haven't discovered stairwells.

Why stunning?  It’s the same pretty much everywhere.   If vaxed and boosted carry on.  One in Fifty Manhattan residents was infected in the last 7 days (per the daily mail).  It will all be over but the shouting soon.

Some good news on the Omicron front.  Looks like it not only protects against the Delta variant but it is also supplanting it.  Shortly the Delta variant will join Alpha on the trash heap.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/28/covid-omicron-appears-to-protect-against-delta-could-displace-it-study.html

BD will be along shortly to bemoan the good news, note that it’s a small study and triumphantly sneer that it’s not peer reviewed…..

1 hour ago, roundthebuoys said:

When do rose colored glasses either expire or just look stupid?  Gator has been calling for the demise of covid for like 14 months.

Covid has been calling for the demise of Gator for longer than that. Give it time.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Some good news on the Omicron front.  Looks like it not only protects against the Delta variant but it is also supplanting it.  Shortly the Delta variant will join Alpha on the trash heap.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/28/covid-omicron-appears-to-protect-against-delta-could-displace-it-study.html

BD will be along shortly to bemoan the good news, note that it’s a small study and triumphantly sneer that it’s not peer reviewed…..

You're just a selfish twat and not worth the energy.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Gee, I wonder why Biden hasn't stopped Covid yet.

Typhoid Karen.

I wonder why she isn't up for attempted manslaughter charges.  If she knowingly had typhus and had swapped spit, she would be.

44 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 1.07.16 PM.png

What do deaths look like?  What group (predominantly) is dying and or hospitalized? How are the # hospitalized or dying moving relative to cases?  We know what to expect based on the UK and SA and well know for sure in 7-10 days. V  If cases triple but the hospitalized or dead are up 10% and their all unvaxed is there a problem?   

If this is as mild as it looks to be the real issue is the impact on continuation of the economy in an environment where we are potentially recklessly shuttering business operations.

one piece of good news?  The UK may have already hit the Omucron peak.  This is burning white hot through the population and will be over soon

On 12/29/2021 at 9:32 AM, Ishmael said:

Gee, I wonder why Biden hasn't stopped Covid yet.

131 fkn' pages on this easily avoided chickenshit. guess the example of the above mindset is but one example why.

8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

What do deaths look like?  What group (predominantly) is dying and or hospitalized?

As you know, deaths lag by about 2 weeks.  We shall see.

And, while the Omicron variant doesn't appear to kill as efficiently, a small percentage of a gigantic number is still a shitload.

Besides, with hospitals overrun, folks are going to die of treatable conditions.

If only there was a way to reduce transmission......

5 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

And, while the Omicron variant doesn't appear to kill as efficiently, a small percentage of a gigantic number is still a shitload.

Besides, with hospitals overrun, folks are going to die of treatable conditions.

There is no way to stop it with 35% unvaxed and  more than 50% unboosted,  but you know that.

15 minutes ago, Fakenews said:
19 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

There is no way to stop it with 35% unvaxed and  more than 50% unboosted,  but you know that.

These are the days I seriously doubt you ever attended Gainesville Community College.

You are as bad as the right wingnut elk arguing against something I didn't say.

Those willfully avoiding the jab are filling up the hospitals, placing everyone at risk (lack of access).

Get the fucking vaccine.  And wear the fucking mask to reduce* transmission.

263718359_5093484990679635_3181418003863939995_n.jpeg

*Hey, Gaston - that word means "lessen", not "stop".

11 minutes ago, Nice! said:

912accb5_picard-facepalm

How do you propose stopping a highly transmissible virus given the vaccination status of a huge % of the country.  One solution is to let it rip.  Scot Atlas was dead wrong when he proposed this before vaccinations were widely available but now with an incredibly transmissible virus that is thankfully much much less lethal than Alpha or Delta???.  We had over 400k people test positive today.  Maybe 800K if you count those who were asymptomatic and not tested and those who test at home.  It’s going to rip through no matter what.

8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

How do you propose stopping a highly transmissible virus given the vaccination status of a huge % of the country.  One solution is to let it rip.  Scot Atlas was dead wrong when he proposed this before vaccinations were widely available but now with an incredibly transmissible virus that is thankfully much much less lethal than Alpha or Delta???.  We had over 400k people test positive today.  Maybe 800K if you count those who were asymptomatic and not tested and those who test at home.  It’s going to rip through no matter what.

This all started with comment from BD:

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

If only.

20 minutes ago, Nice! said:

This all started with comment from BD:

If only.

I missed his word reduce but even so with something so transmissible the reduction would only serve to extend the period that Omicron rampages through the population.  That may be desirable in that it eases potential stress on the healthcare system an business continuity but it extends the time we have to deal with this and Omicron isn’t a huge threat for most who are vaxed and boosted.  The horse is out of the barn though.  If we are nearing 1M infected daily already that # will likely be double in a week.  Hopefully the symptomatic isolate and we get through this quickly with only the usual suspects doing the dying.

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

You got your quantitive descriptions and your qualitative descriptions. This one links them up nicely. (Should this be purple?)

Victory formation here in Florida with Covid taking its last gasp (and this time I mean it!) with another record day for new cases and 4k hospitalizations. Anybody seen our Governor? Maybe he is on a fundraising trip….

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-reaches-another-daily-covid-19-case-record-surpasses-4k-hospitalizations/2651540/

12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Victory formation here in Florida with Covid taking its last gasp (and this time I mean it!) with another record day for new cases and 4k hospitalizations. Anybody seen our Governor? Maybe he is on a fundraising trip….

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-reaches-another-daily-covid-19-case-record-surpasses-4k-hospitalizations/2651540/

Word is he’s in Cozumel with Ted.

A little bit of good news.  Omicron is moving so quickly that epidemiologist now say the crest is likely to peak mid January.  In fact in NYC the crest will happen this week.  Projections are 3-5M daily cases till then.  It will be bumpy but stay home if you are sick or anxious and  hope that government and business leaders resist the impulse to lock down.  

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-predict-omicron-peak-u-150556534.html

We are realizing right now monitoring the data that the peak is going to come much faster,” said Ali Mokdad, a public health researcher at the University of Washington. “My guess is it will happen before mid-January.”

The numbers are increasing so quickly that some public health researchers say modeling isn’t even necessary to see where things are headed, said William Hanage, a public health researcher at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

30 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

image.thumb.png.2eb2e0880463bc9d857af55d8355d398.png

Interesting that deaths have decreased.  It’s early days but I think you will see deaths flat to slight increase in the next month as Omicron supplants the much deadlier Delta variant. 

Very good news to report on the Covid front.  Despite Omicron kicking around the US since mid November the 7DMA of daily deaths has modestly declined as I thought it would. 

Omicron has been a blessing.  Hopefully our overreaction to case counts will end as swiftly as the Variant is.

2 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Not sure how you define "modestly declined".  At least you didn't pull out that stupid "skyrocketed downward".

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 9.30.47 PM.png

1,437 on Nov 19th now 1,319.  A modest decline.  However, with the Delta variant thrown on the trash heap by the flu like Omicron, thosedeaths will certainly be skyrocketing downwards.  I’m trying to see the bad news in this to make you feel better.  Best I can come up with is less dumbfucks dying.

50 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

1,437 on Nov 19th now 1,319.  A modest decline.  However, with the Delta variant thrown on the trash heap by the flu like Omicron, thosedeaths will certainly be skyrocketing downwards.  I’m trying to see the bad news in this to make you feel better.  Best I can come up with is less dumbfucks dying.

Cite?

25 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Cite?

NYT.  It’s the first thing that pops up in a google of Covid deaths us.  The CDC reputation for authoritative record keeping has been badly tarnished by the current and prior directors.  Frankly overall it’s in shambles due to their abysmal communication strategy Don’t get me started on the deeply silly revised advice to get a PCR negative test after quarantining for 5 days.

19 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

NYT.  It’s the first thing that pops up in a google of Covid deaths us.  The CDC reputation for authoritative record keeping has been badly tarnished by the current and prior directors.  Frankly overall it’s in shambles due to their abysmal communication strategy Don’t get me started on the deeply silly revised advice to get a PCR negative test after quarantining for 5 days.

Cite. As in a specific location, typically a link, that verifies what you claim. 

You have been around long enough, especially under previous screen names, to know that is how it’s done. 

Here's the first thing that shows up under Google search for Covid deaths US:

It's from the NYT. The 7 day average shows a tiny decline but the daily case rate shows a sizable increase.

SmartSelect_20220105-214010_Samsung Internet.jpg

SmartSelect_20220105-214534_Samsung Internet.jpg

5 hours ago, Nice! said:

It's from the NYT. The 7 day average shows a tiny decline but the daily case rate shows a sizable increase.

How was that 7DMA affected by the holidays and the expected pause in reporting?

57 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

How was that 7DMA affected by the holidays and the expected pause in reporting?

Not much it appears.  They managed to count 1M cases the other day.

6 hours ago, Nice! said:

Modest decline and no one cares about case counts anymore.