US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

9 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

My role is in this thread is to present the undeniable good news about a pandemic that’s ending.  Everyone else’s role as of late seems to be denying that it is.  

Odd.

False good news is just another form of disinformation

- DSK

• Like 1
  • Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

Once again, presenting your opinion as "FACT" is disinformation. You do it regularly. Others respond to, and argue against your opinions, your interpretations of the facts, not any underlying facts.

As I've stated before: your problem is that you refuse to accept that you don't know what you don't know. And that's dangerous.

12 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Once again, presenting your opinion as "FACT" is disinformation. You do it regularly. Others respond to, and argue against your opinions, your interpretations of the facts, not any underlying facts.

As I've stated before: your problem is that you refuse to accept that you don't know what you don't know. And that's dangerous.

The beauty of it is that we get to see my “opinions” borne out by fact.  For example the corner on the pandemic in Feb, the delta crest on Sept 2nd etc.  For the record while I do offer my opinion it’s heavily reliant on data and the opinions of leading public health experts.  I’ve now called based on evidence before us the waning of the pandemic.  We need only wait a few months to see if I’m correct.

Im betting I’m right Pandemics do end eventually, sooner in the era of modern medicine.

18 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Pandemics do end eventually, sooner in the era of modern medicine.

What empirical evidence do you have that's less than 100yrs old?

21 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

My mistake. I thought the discussion was about the facts of the situation, not about stroking your ego.

2 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

What empirical evidence do you have that's less than 100yrs old?

He doesn't need any. It's his opinion: he's "betting" he's right. His MO is to include hedge words like that.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2021 at 5:38 AM, Fakenews said:

Dude! I don’t use those words.  I present data, scientific literature and the statements of public professionals and people in the know like Gottlieb and Dr. Ja.

Lets face it, we turned the corner on the pandemic, the Delta surge has crested and all evidence points to a waning pandemic.  I get that for some it’s unsettling, terrifying even to venture out in the world without crutches to “stay safe” but the data doesn’t lie and neither does history.  Pandemics run their course, viruses don’t evolve into more lethal variants. If you are vaxed you have zero to worry about. 

https://theconversation.com/covid-19-what-happens-if-some-countries-dont-vaccinate-155144

Dont look now but Covid cases are in free fall in the US. The average skyrocketed downwards from a high of nearly 200K in early September to 93K today, a 50% drop in just 5 weeks.  It’s clear now that kids returning to school didn’t move the needle at all (probably because most have already been infected).

Hospitalizations and deaths are plummeting as well

No data is the same as no infections?

"According to an ABC News survey of state COVID-19 information dashboards, more than two dozen states have now either opted to no longer offer daily statistical coronavirus updates or plan to end daily reports in the coming weeks, a choice which has been a source of great concern for health experts as the more virulent delta variant spreads."Without real-time reporting, we are essentially flying blind as to the state of the pandemic. Lack of timely surveillance data will create blind spots and potentially a false sense of security as we struggle with vaccination uptake and the rise of new variants," said Dr. John Brownstein, chief innovation officer at Boston Children's Hospital and an ABC News contributor.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/dozens-states-end-daily-covid-19-data-reports/story?id=78557262

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

"According to an ABC News survey of state COVID-19 information dashboards, more than two dozen states have now either opted to no longer offer daily statistical coronavirus updates or plan to end daily reports in the coming weeks, a choice which has been a source of great concern for health experts as the more virulent delta variant spreads."Without real-time reporting, we are essentially flying blind as to the state of the pandemic. Lack of timely surveillance data will create blind spots and potentially a false sense of security as we struggle with vaccination uptake and the rise of new variants," said Dr. John Brownstein, chief innovation officer at Boston Children's Hospital and an ABC News contributor.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/dozens-states-end-daily-covid-19-data-reports/story?id=78557262

As TFG said, paraphrased. If ya don't count it, it didn't happen. (although he said test)

11 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

It’s still a too early to go to weekly reporting but this oft quoted fear of new variants is alarmist fluff.  The last two new variants Mu and Lamda are extinct and we are in the waning stages of the pandemic.  

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen&mid=%2Fm%2F09c7w0

For anyone that cares to get something beyond our Covidiot Cheerleader - Cases are indeed down although rising in some states. There was a time when 90k cases a day was a disaster now it's just another day in the pandemic. Since we are only averaging 1800 deaths  per day for the last week, well time to party.

One has to wonder why the never ending downplaying of this.  This may be the beginning of the end and it may not - with over 70,000,000 candidates in the US to help out and secondary infections for the vaccinated?.   Not declaring victory yet.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen&mid=%2Fm%2F09c7w0

For anyone that cares to get something beyond our Covidiot Cheerleader - Cases are indeed down although rising in some states. There was a time when 90k cases a day was a disaster now it's just another day in the pandemic. Since we are only averaging 1800 deaths  per day for the last week, well time to party.

One has to wonder why the never ending downplaying of this.  This may be the beginning of the end and it may not - with over 70,000,000 candidates in the US to help out and secondary infections for the vaccinated?.   Not declaring victory yet.

Yep.  Lots of funny stuff with data.  That is separate from the weekly lag in reporting that occurs every Monday.

10 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Why lie to overstate the data?  Per the CDC the latest weekly average of deaths in the US is 1,400. 

Let me lay some real (not pulled out of your ass) data on you.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

9 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Yep.  Lots of funny stuff with data.  That is separate from the weekly lag in reporting that occurs every Monday.

You have a lot more room to fuck with data if you delay reporting and cut testing. I read this morning that testing has been cut by 60%.

image.thumb.png.6d818e6c03966ee3c89bae055ea2472e.png

The nation is now recording around 600,000 coronavirus tests a day, significantly lower than the nearly 2 million tests a day the U.S. was reporting at the beginning of the year, another cause for concern for health officials who have repeatedly warned that drops in testing could lead to missed infections and subsequent spread.

This data is from July.

25 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Why lie to overstate the data?  Per the CDC the latest weekly average of deaths in the US is 1,400. 

Let me lay some real (not pulled out of your ass) data on you.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

I didn't pull anything out of my ass as there is a link provided.  And taking the 1400 number? Gee, that's only another 40k per month.

I don't lie, never have and you prove yourself a putz for stating it. I also don't predict the future while stating it as a fact. FakeGnus.

• Like 1

It appears that people are just not listening anymore. Even in US with one of the highest fatality rates for covid infections in the world about 2% and in Asia is hovering at 0.8%.  

My wife and I were vaccinated way back when the science was settled, children were in highest risk group and you only needed one dose of Pfizer. Now we find out that's simply not the case.

1. you can still get sick and spread the disease.       

2. need booster shots every six months.

3. Children are actually in the lowest risk group.

4. Not to mention, US sponsored gain of function research on deadly viruses continues unabated. What could go wrong? :ph34r:

12 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I didn't pull anything out of my ass as there is a link provided.  And taking the 1400 number? Gee, that's only another 40k per month.

I don't lie, never have and you prove yourself a putz for stating it. I also don't predict the future while stating it as a fact. FakeGnus.

Hmmm.  According to the below from the NYT, 7-day average is 1783/day.  That's 53K/month.  Assuming the supply of dumbshit anti-vaxxers doesn't run out, that is almost 2 million by the US election day in 2024.  That is 0.56% of the population, enough to swing the vote if the dumbshits are all R voters.

Carry on.  No wonder the R's are gerrymandering and fiddling the voting rules - their supporters are literally dying of stupidity.

image.png.49335ec48cc90835e9c8c26162b99e10.png

6 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Hmmm.  According to the below from the NYT, 7-day average is 1783/day.  That's 53K/month.  Assuming the supply of dumbshit anti-vaxxers doesn't run out, that is almost 2 million by the US election day in 2024.  That is 0.56% of the population, enough to swing the vote if the dumbshits are all R voters.

Carry on.  No wonder the R's are gerrymandering and fiddling the voting rules - their supporters are literally dying of stupidity.

Meanwhile in Texas not to be outdone by Florida it's now illegal to require vaccinations https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/politics/texas-vaccine-mandate-greg-abbott/index.html  because FreeDumbs.

Abbott is using an EO and lobbying to get a law passed. Next up: How does this fare against the Right To Work deal? (It's really the Right To Get Fired).  Fun times.

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Meanwhile in Texas not to be outdone by Florida it's now illegal to require vaccinations https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/politics/texas-vaccine-mandate-greg-abbott/index.html  because FreeDumbs.

Abbott is using an EO and lobbying to get a law passed. Next up: How does this fare against the Right To Work deal? (It's really the Right To Get Fired).  Fun times.

It's pretty obvious that the only way these idiots stay in office is by mangling the vote.

5 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Vaccines are against the will of God.

FKT

I'm glad someone still gets the newsletter so we know what is good or bad. He must have missed the issue where sexual harassment was listed.

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

He must have missed the issue where sexual harassment was listed.

Was that the one he 'wrestled' with?  IIRC, it was beyond harassment, the team doctor liked to play with pee pees.

I got a hologramed vaccine certificate today. It's a federal government certificate linked to a state government mandatory check in App.

All vaccinations here are recorded on our national commy healthcare records.

Frankly, I don't know how you guys can possibly be getting reliable information about Covid numbers whether that be testing numbers, infection numbers, deaths etc when you apparently have no centralized and nationally accurate data bases.

Does anyone believe the numbers coming out of India are even 50% accurate? 

Well how are yours any better?

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 12:36 AM, ShortForBob said:

I got a hologramed vaccine certificate today. It's a federal government certificate linked to a state government mandatory check in App.

All vaccinations here are recorded on our national commy healthcare records.

Frankly, I don't know how you guys can possibly be getting reliable information about Covid numbers whether that be testing numbers, infection numbers, deaths etc when you apparently have no centralized and nationally accurate data bases.

Does anyone believe the numbers coming out of India are even 50% accurate? 

Well how are yours any better?

Meaning the US?

Yeah, highly suspect numbers as they are actively being suppressed in certain areas. We'll have to look at "excess deaths" in a year or so.

7 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Meaning the US?

Yeah, highly suspect numbers as they are actively being suppressed in certain areas. We'll have to look at "excess deaths" in a year or so.

They might get better!

Right now I'm reading Michael Lewis's "The Premonition" about the Covid Cassandras . . 

They are very tough on the CDC, Drumph, and for-profit health care. 

Lewis spins a good yarn 

image.jpeg.330f942c15933d27ec61508d5d655775.jpeg

Just now, learningJ24 said:

Florida, Alabama No Longer Reporting Daily Coronavirus Data

More than a year into the pandemic, the states have begun updating their case, death and vaccination data less frequently.

Old news. That's from June.

It is, but it points to the games being played with the data.  Since the CDC used to take it's information from the state's reporting dashboards and those aren't being updated daily, the claims are more suspect than previously. 

10 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

It is, but it points to the games being played with the data.  Since the CDC used to take it's information from the state's reporting dashboards and those aren't being updated daily, the claims are more suspect than previously. 

OK, you explain this to Fakenews, the rest of us have given up.

When presented with incontrovertible evidence of a waning pandemic some fear merchants call the data fake, misleading or incomplete. They’re like Trumpaloons on November 3rd.

SAD!

The fact is COVID is waning all over not just the US.

Here is some good news from Israel.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/with-boosters-masks-green-pass-israel-sees-covid-19-wave-retreat-2021-10-15/

Intentionally withheld/manipulated data ≠ "incontrovertible evidence".

This has been a gentle reminder not to use big words that do not accurately describe the phenomena.

Worried about packed football games being super spreader events?  Don’t be, it’s nonsense.  Ditto for bars and restaurants, probably due to high vax rates.

From the scientists at U of Florida…

https://news.ufl.edu/2021/10/no-covid-spikes-from-football/

edit to add public health officials just can’t help themselves.  All the data aside they still suggest wearing a mask.  Even if you are  vaxed and outside.  It’s such BS.  I was at the Bama game. 90K people no one was wearing a mask.

3 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Worried about packed football games being super spreader events?  Don’t be, it’s nonsense.  Ditto for bars and restaurants, probably due to high vax rates.

edit to add public health officials just can’t help themselves.  All the data aside they still suggest wearing a mask.  Even if you are  vaxed and outside.  It’s such BS.  I was at the Bama game. 90K people no one was wearing a mask.

And the incubation period is?

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

These stadiums are filled with southerners, right?  So we have hope.  

Nope.  100k + at  PSU, OSU and Meeeechigan.  It’s sold out everywhere NFL games included.

5 hours ago, Fakenews said:

So, you were at a game with 90,000 people who are selfish pricks, like you.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Watching their exchanges reminds me of the game show on idiocracy, “Ow, My Balls!”

Some folks on the stupid aisle in Twitter are commenting on how Doocy is really putting it to her. Um....OK sure. :blink:

Just a brief bit of good news and a reminder that CoOVID is in full retreat in the US t as the pandemic wanes.  The daily average count is at 75k down from the peak of 165K.  In Florida where the crest was earlier, reported case counts have fallen nearly 90% from the peak and CoVID hospitalizations now account for only 4% of all beds with only 600 or so in the ICU. The fuel is running out.

Time to get back to normal.  I fully support individual businesses and governments implementing vaccine mandates but otherwise end all restrictions (to the extent the exist) relating to social distancing or mask wearing (looking at you TSA).  Let the willingly unvaxed die.  

Marine Corps announces career-ending consequences for Marines refusing to get COVID vaccine

The United States MARINES take no prisoners.

The Marine Corps’ list of consequences for Marines who fail to get vaccinated for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a reminder that USMC stands for “You Signed the Motherf—king Contract!” 

Active-duty Marines have to get vaccinated by Nov. 28 and Reserve Marines must be immunized by Dec. 28, according to Marine Corps Administrative Message (MARADMIN) 612/21. For any Marines who think that these deadlines are no big deal, the MARADMIN is a rude awakening. 

“Marines refusing the COVID-19 vaccination, absent an approved administrative or medical exemption, religious accommodation, or pending appeal shall be processed for administrative separation IAW (in accordance with) this MARADMIN and supporting references,” the MARADMIN says. “General Court-Martial Convening Authorities (GCMCA) retain authority to take any additional adverse administrative or disciplinary action they deem appropriate.” 

According to the message, the severe consequences are because Marines who are not vaccinated by the deadlines and do not have an exemption approved or pending will have “willfully disobeyed a lawful order from a superior commissioned officer.” 

As such, any Marines who refuse to get vaccinated will not deploy; they will not be allowed to reenlist; and they will not be promoted, in addition to being involuntarily separated, the MARADMIN says. 

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-corps-covid-vaccine-refuse-consequences/ 

53 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Marine Corps announces career-ending consequences for Marines refusing to get COVID vaccine

The United States MARINES take no prisoners.

The Marine Corps’ list of consequences for Marines who fail to get vaccinated for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a reminder that USMC stands for “You Signed the Motherf—king Contract!” 

Active-duty Marines have to get vaccinated by Nov. 28 and Reserve Marines must be immunized by Dec. 28, according to Marine Corps Administrative Message (MARADMIN) 612/21. For any Marines who think that these deadlines are no big deal, the MARADMIN is a rude awakening. 

“Marines refusing the COVID-19 vaccination, absent an approved administrative or medical exemption, religious accommodation, or pending appeal shall be processed for administrative separation IAW (in accordance with) this MARADMIN and supporting references,” the MARADMIN says. “General Court-Martial Convening Authorities (GCMCA) retain authority to take any additional adverse administrative or disciplinary action they deem appropriate.” 

According to the message, the severe consequences are because Marines who are not vaccinated by the deadlines and do not have an exemption approved or pending will have “willfully disobeyed a lawful order from a superior commissioned officer.” 

As such, any Marines who refuse to get vaccinated will not deploy; they will not be allowed to reenlist; and they will not be promoted, in addition to being involuntarily separated, the MARADMIN says. 

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-corps-covid-vaccine-refuse-consequences/ 

They can all go and be cops in Floriduh.

Good news!  The FDA has recommended approval for Pfizer’s vaccine in children 5-11.  This is the final nail in the rapidly waning COVID pandemic and the ushering in of the endemic stage which we can all live with without any special precautions.  

In a related note average case counts have tumble to 40% of the high.

Interesting tidbit from CNBC just now.  Based on surveillance blood testing,  45% of children 5-11 have already been exposed to COVID.  I’d like to see that # for adults and children 12-18.  I bet it’s in the 50’s and upper 70’s respectively.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

In the category of "How stupid do you have to be?" I present

Someone dug that out of the Twitter account of "Rep. Jack Kimble", a fake Congressman from the 54th District in California (California has 53 Districts).  It's more of a spoof site, getting digs in at the folks on the right.

52 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Someone dug that out of the Twitter account of "Rep. Jack Kimble", a fake Congressman from the 54th District in California (California has 53 Districts).  It's more of a spoof site, getting digs in at the folks on the right.

It's scary that it's entirely believable. There are a lot of people out there that are that stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been very quiet recently.  Some people just can’t handle wood news about the pandemic.  

It appears that not only is the pandemic waning but that we are at its end.  This is apparent from casual observation and Dr. Gottlieb agrees.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/dr-scott-gottlieb-proclaims-new-pfizer-covid-drug-marks-the-end-of-the-pandemic/

I think the bottom line is the end of the end of the pandemic‚ as least as it relates to the United States, is in sight right now — given that we have the tools to combat this disease,” Gottlieb said.

The former FDA commissioner and current Pfizer board member did add the caveat that “we still have to get through this Delta wave,” and that might take two months. But the arrival of this new drug, along with a therapeutic produced by Merck, will ultimately be a watershed moment.

“I think that this therapeutic and the other innovations that we’ve seen coming to market really mark the end of the pandemic in the United States,” Gottlieb said. “And we need to think how we put that victory sign on the side of the White House, and we 

13 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

This thread has been very quiet recently.  Some people just can’t handle wood news about the pandemic.  

It appears that not only is the pandemic waning but that we are at its end.  This is apparent from casual observation and Dr. Gottlieb agrees.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/dr-scott-gottlieb-proclaims-new-pfizer-covid-drug-marks-the-end-of-the-pandemic/

I think the bottom line is the end of the end of the pandemic‚ as least as it relates to the United States, is in sight right now — given that we have the tools to combat this disease,” Gottlieb said.

The former FDA commissioner and current Pfizer board member did add the caveat that “we still have to get through this Delta wave,” and that might take two months. But the arrival of this new drug, along with a therapeutic produced by Merck, will ultimately be a watershed moment.

“I think that this therapeutic and the other innovations that we’ve seen coming to market really mark the end of the pandemic in the United States,” Gottlieb said. “And we need to think how we put that victory sign on the side of the White House, and we 

Lets see how the winter goes. We've gone through a lot since we were talking about that one guy from China. 

9 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Ya, that drug is amazing news and I hope it holds.  

The only downside I see is people thinking they won't need to get vaccinated because there is a treatment like that. 

My school's faculty is now 100% vaccinated due to a mandate and 90% of our students are too. I am hosting a pop up vaccine clinic at the school for our younger students and community members.   

• Like 4

I think the bottom line is the end of the end of the pandemic‚ as least as it relates to the United States

So the 11 day average in the USA is 1165 !!!!!    Holly shit that is still bad.    So a pandemic of airplanes falling out of the sky at a rate of 2-5 a day would be the "end of the end" to you?   Everyone went apeshit about a few hundred dying from Boeings software error.....   now imagine years of that everyday, just in the USA.

25 minutes ago, solosailor said:

So the 11 day average in the USA is 1165 !!!!!    Holly shit that is still bad.    So a pandemic of airplanes falling out of the sky at a rate of 2-5 a day would be the "end of the end" to you?   Everyone went apeshit about a few hundred dying from Boeings software error.....   now imagine years of that everyday, just in the USA.

Why would you imagine “years” of that going forward?  Are you writing a horror movie?  That’s just silly.  A look at the CDC site show daily  death rates are dropping 10% every week from the peak of over 2K.

4 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

Ya, that drug is amazing news and I hope it holds.  

The only downside I see is people thinking they won't need to get vaccinated because there is a treatment like that. 

My school's faculty is now 100% vaccinated due to a mandate and 90% of our students are too. I am hosting a pop up vaccine clinic at the school for our younger students and community members.   

Oh, I wish we had numbers like that.  I am assuming we have a 100% vaxx rate for admin/faculty/staff, as we just had a deadline pass.  One instructor retired so as to not get the shot.  The rest of us soldier on.

Our reported student vaxx rate is slightly above 50%.  I say that as many of our students seem to be reluctant to share their info.  The District has said they have to show proof of vaccination status or be tested weekly, either at school or on their own.  But, there is no protocol for tracking and we have been informed there is nothing that would happen if we became aware a student was not complying. 

As a HS, all of our students have been eligible for quite some time.

36 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Oh, I wish we had numbers like that.  I am assuming we have a 100% vaxx rate for admin/faculty/staff, as we just had a deadline pass.  One instructor retired so as to not get the shot.  The rest of us soldier on.

Our reported student vaxx rate is slightly above 50%.  I say that as many of our students seem to be reluctant to share their info.  The District has said they have to show proof of vaccination status or be tested weekly, either at school or on their own.  But, there is no protocol for tracking and we have been informed there is nothing that would happen if we became aware a student was not complying. 

As a HS, all of our students have been eligible for quite some time.

Weird.  The school nurse should know.   We have to check all required immunizations.   She/he wouldn't share info with teachers, but the nurse should know.   

13 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Weird.  The school nurse should know.   We have to check all required immunizations.   She/he wouldn't share info with teachers, but the nurse should know.   

Our District made clear we may collect info from only those who wish to share.  If they do not want to share, they should be getting tested on a weekly basis.  But, there is no protocol for tracking this, and no penalty if it is not followed.  Sort an unenforceable mandate.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Good news from Florida!

For the first time since Mar 2019 Sarasota County (pop 450K) has zero Covid patients.

Remember this date in two weeks, we'll check back then.

Got "boosted" on Friday afternoon.  Moderna, same as my 2 shots in Jan/Feb.  Quickly developed a headache.  Then, the chills and bodyaches set in.  Spent Saturday under a blanket in the den, watching "The Office".  Woke this morning feeling whatever passes for normal.  Amazing how it hits and disappears so suddenly.  Hoping that indicates an "enthusiastic" response (how a friend describes it).

My wife, who was a part of the Astra-Zeneca study at Hopkins (she was vaxxed a year ago), has been asking them to make a recommendation.  Finally, they said "go ahead and get what you can", so she got the Moderna boost, as well.  The big quetion was whether she should get a full dose of Moderna or the 50% booster.  A bunch of phone calls later led to her getting the half-dose booster.  This is rather interesting, as JHU requires international students get the full regimen of the 3 currently accepted in the US, regardless of whether they have received vaccines abroad.  She also got her first shingles shot.  Other than 2 very sore arms, no real effects.