Jump to content

US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

Fuck that attitude. I'm going to work, and I'm going to do a good job on these patients. That's what I do.

GM is full of people with a similar attitude. They don't work for a blowhard president. They work for customers. For Americans and America.

Stop equating the Gropenführer with the government, with the US. He's an emperor displaying his big bare ass. The country needs some vents, GM can step up, and if there's anything we know about government spending, they ain't gonna get completely stiffed. Nope, lots of our tax bucks to spend.

From what I have read since then is GM has been working on this including reaching out to other companies to get it up and running - it just burns my butt that Trump uses his pulpit to insult and demean those who he doesn't deem loyal* enough.

*publicly kissing his ass.

So last week the local news was about an auction house that was sitting on truckloads of N95 masks and other supplies - city of Houston bid $4 (retail about $.50) = bid was accepted and then withdrawn when they got a higher bid, city rebid at $5.56 and then just went and took them. Then FEMA swooped in and took them. I hope the auction house and whoever the client is gets jack shit.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Bus Driver

    1200

  • mikewof

    1120

  • Fakenews

    1113

  • Raz'r

    848

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

DSV ... I have an idea for the regulator, should be really cheap. Cost target of $10 still in range. Having fun with this design, I hope the rest of y'all are having a productive time in your economic quarantine. Sometimes it's good to work on products and relationships that don't lead to success, profits or happiness. Every now and then we need a kind of reset. Maybe this quarantine will be good for that, just reset our expectations.

We're still hovering around 1.5% mortality rate with this, which is pretty good. I once saw a 6-year-old boy skip into a radiation therapy room at University of Colorado Hospital at Anschutz. This oblivious kid, cancer up and down his spine, skipping into that room like he didn't have a care in the world. I got sad because I figured everyone lied to him about his chances. What 6-year-old kid just skips back from spine cancer? He gets onto the couch, they put his favorite Rugrats music on, and then everyone leaves the room, to get away from the gamma radiation that was about to be projected into his spine. I go into the control room with the other physicist, I don't know much about their job, I'm just observing for the sake of my own Leukemia research. I get to talking with one of the other physicists, she tells me his recovery is likely somewhere north of 90%. Yeah, ninety fucking percent ... no chemo, no spinal tap, no pain. He gets under a plastic frame that locks him into the same position for about 15 minutes, for 10 treatments. Each time, the computer can aim the gamma radiation at the tumors, as long as the boy doesn't move relative to the beam, so this plastic mesh holds the little guy in the exact same position and placement every time. It's like the way we used to register the cyan, magenta, yellow and key plates on the offset litho press. That registration was so Dead Nuts Money that we could print C,M,Y in one pass, and then go back and add the key plate later when the prices and the dates in the ad were formalized. I'm not sure we ever did that, but it was a bragging point. So this kid is locked down on the couch, and I realize in the hell-forsaken Rug Rats tune, that the little punk isn't oblivious, he's happy. And he's happy, probably because his mom and day know that the odds are very much in their favor to have him in their lives, and the caregivers are happy because they know the odds are in their favor to see him on followups for the next several years in his recovery. So the kid was happy, he skipped out of the radiation in about the same mood he went in. The way that Gamma Knife works, it shines fairly weak beams of picometer wavelength light into his spine, each one too weak to do much damage. But where they focus, these multiple sources, the intensity then increases, enough to burn up the tumor under the skin. I think it can get into the spine because of the spaces, or maybe because the bone is thin, but I think it still can't be used to burn cancer in the marrow of the bigger bones, I assume they still mostly use chemo for that.

We're still at 1.5%, which as far as I can see, suggests a 98.5% survival rate, unless in fact I'm lying with statistics because my limited math skills are no match for the politics of the day.

I get it, we have to blame stuff on the person we don't like, which is fine, President Trump apparently makes enough money off of his golfing trips to justify a few tens of million of Americans blaming things on him. Hell, I'll let America blame all their troubles on me for only $1 per citizen per year. That's a smoking bargain. Send your $1 with a self-addressed-stamped-envelope to "I'm Mike, Blame your shit on me", 1019 8th Street, Suite 107, Golden, CO 80401. And I will return a blame license to you, suitable for framing, which will allow you to blame all your problems on me for one year from date of issue.

I digress ... I'm not going to cry an crocodile tears for the poor misunderstood nephew of John G. Trump. You won't find too many scientists, engineers, inventors and Serbians who won't side with Nikola Tesla, even to not supporting Trump's nephew in his job of President to keep our allegiance with Nikola. But still ... much of the infrastructure in our hospitals and disease management, and the rest has so little to do with the way Presidents float in an out of Washington D.C., that it's kind of misleading to suggest that a President could fuck it up too badly. Yeah, he can fire necessary people, not support this law, super-support that law, and it can and likely will have an impact. But how can anyone do anything in D.C. where one thread doesn't make at least seven legs of a spider puppet dance? This infrastructure is only slightly less malleable than a system of culverts, gates and drainages designed to handle a thirty-year-flood. The procedures are complicated, they are adhered, the reporting has a well-thought process. True, we're not as successful as Germany in managing this, but not too bad given that people all over the world still want to come to the USA for a vacation or a new life because we still know how to have fun here, even though lately it's been kind of a downer with everyone bitching about Trump's nephew. We have some traffic coming through this bitch.

I have a teenager who normally likes to chill with her friends. And now they can't. She asked me to try to find some butter for her because baking cookies and cakes helps to lift her spirits now that she is confined to the house. I hadn't seen any butter in about a week, presumably it went the way of the toilet paper. I went in one little store the other day to get some supplies, see if they had butter, nada, a couple tubs of some weird margarine. I didn't bother, only butter is butter. But on my way out, what did I see on the shelf ... boxes of tissues! Sweet smoking Mary, boxes of tissues! I hadn''t seen any paper products in a long time. The sign said "limit four" so I grabbed four. As I'm walking to the front, I look at my four boxes and tissues and I wonder what the fuck I'm doing. If I grab four of them, that's essentially preparing myself to never see them again. And I might not see them for a long time. But I can't live like that, hoarding things like a fucking squirrel who stumbled across a crack pipe stuck in a tree. It's not so much that it's antisocial, but rather self-loathing. I put two of them back. My back issues of Pravda are working fine for wiping my ass, I kind of prefer it, to be honest.

By blaming all this on John G. Trump's nephew, we're doing something not so smart. We're essentially handling him a responsibility that he realistically never had in the first place. By blaming him for the failure, we then give him the keys to the success. Maybe the failure would have to be his, because the buck indeed has to stop right there. But the success ain't his. It never was his. 98.5% survival rate belongs to all the people who actually made that happen. The doctors, the kid at the supermarket who wiped down the carts with spray that was cunningly dispensed from a bottle of expensive tequila that was in fact filled with a plastic jug of cheap tequila, and the nurses, all the phillysailors out there doing their thing, the Clinician who can't see her children because she doesn't want to risk bringing an infection into the woman's prison where she has to show up, every day, can't be scared when you have a couple thousand prisoners relying on her for their health. Those are the people who get to march down the street on the April 15th parade, not some politician who hasn't busted his ass and volunteered his time to care for people.

Blaming him for any of this is just as nonsensical as giving him credit for any of this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

134 dead from Covid in NYC in the last 24 hours.    This shit is going to be horrorific in that city.  Maybe 5 to 10 times more dead than on 9/11

You're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

DSV ... I have an idea for the regulator, should be really cheap. Cost target of $10 still in range. Having fun with this design, I hope the rest of y'all are having a productive time in your economic quarantine. Sometimes it's good to work on products and relationships that don't lead to success, profits or happiness. Every now and then we need a kind of reset. Maybe this quarantine will be good for that, just reset our expectations.

We're still hovering around 1.5% mortality rate with this, which is pretty good. I once saw a 6-year-old boy skip into a radiation therapy room at University of Colorado Hospital at Anschutz. This oblivious kid, cancer up and down his spine, skipping into that room like he didn't have a care in the world. I got sad because I figured everyone lied to him about his chances. What 6-year-old kid just skips back from spine cancer? He gets onto the couch, they put his favorite Rugrats music on, and then everyone leaves the room, to get away from the gamma radiation that was about to be projected into his spine. I go into the control room with the other physicist, I don't know much about their job, I'm just observing for the sake of my own Leukemia research. I get to talking with one of the other physicists, she tells me his recovery is likely somewhere north of 90%. Yeah, ninety fucking percent ... no chemo, no spinal tap, no pain. He gets under a plastic frame that locks him into the same position for about 15 minutes, for 10 treatments. Each time, the computer can aim the gamma radiation at the tumors, as long as the boy doesn't move relative to the beam, so this plastic mesh holds the little guy in the exact same position and placement every time. It's like the way we used to register the cyan, magenta, yellow and key plates on the offset litho press. That registration was so Dead Nuts Money that we could print C,M,Y in one pass, and then go back and add the key plate later when the prices and the dates in the ad were formalized. I'm not sure we ever did that, but it was a bragging point. So this kid is locked down on the couch, and I realize in the hell-forsaken Rug Rats tune, that the little punk isn't oblivious, he's happy. And he's happy, probably because his mom and day know that the odds are very much in their favor to have him in their lives, and the caregivers are happy because they know the odds are in their favor to see him on followups for the next several years in his recovery. So the kid was happy, he skipped out of the radiation in about the same mood he went in. The way that Gamma Knife works, it shines fairly weak beams of picometer wavelength light into his spine, each one too weak to do much damage. But where they focus, these multiple sources, the intensity then increases, enough to burn up the tumor under the skin. I think it can get into the spine because of the spaces, or maybe because the bone is thin, but I think it still can't be used to burn cancer in the marrow of the bigger bones, I assume they still mostly use chemo for that.

We're still at 1.5%, which as far as I can see, suggests a 98.5% survival rate, unless in fact I'm lying with statistics because my limited math skills are no match for the politics of the day.

I get it, we have to blame stuff on the person we don't like, which is fine, President Trump apparently makes enough money off of his golfing trips to justify a few tens of million of Americans blaming things on him. Hell, I'll let America blame all their troubles on me for only $1 per citizen per year. That's a smoking bargain. Send your $1 with a self-addressed-stamped-envelope to "I'm Mike, Blame your shit on me", 1019 8th Street, Suite 107, Golden, CO 80401. And I will return a blame license to you, suitable for framing, which will allow you to blame all your problems on me for one year from date of issue.

I digress ... I'm not going to cry an crocodile tears for the poor misunderstood nephew of John G. Trump. You won't find too many scientists, engineers, inventors and Serbians who won't side with Nikola Tesla, even to not supporting Trump's nephew in his job of President to keep our allegiance with Nikola. But still ... much of the infrastructure in our hospitals and disease management, and the rest has so little to do with the way Presidents float in an out of Washington D.C., that it's kind of misleading to suggest that a President could fuck it up too badly. Yeah, he can fire necessary people, not support this law, super-support that law, and it can and likely will have an impact. But how can anyone do anything in D.C. where one thread doesn't make at least seven legs of a spider puppet dance? This infrastructure is only slightly less malleable than a system of culverts, gates and drainages designed to handle a thirty-year-flood. The procedures are complicated, they are adhered, the reporting has a well-thought process. True, we're not as successful as Germany in managing this, but not too bad given that people all over the world still want to come to the USA for a vacation or a new life because we still know how to have fun here, even though lately it's been kind of a downer with everyone bitching about Trump's nephew. We have some traffic coming through this bitch.

I have a teenager who normally likes to chill with her friends. And now they can't. She asked me to try to find some butter for her because baking cookies and cakes helps to lift her spirits now that she is confined to the house. I hadn't seen any butter in about a week, presumably it went the way of the toilet paper. I went in one little store the other day to get some supplies, see if they had butter, nada, a couple tubs of some weird margarine. I didn't bother, only butter is butter. But on my way out, what did I see on the shelf ... boxes of tissues! Sweet smoking Mary, boxes of tissues! I hadn''t seen any paper products in a long time. The sign said "limit four" so I grabbed four. As I'm walking to the front, I look at my four boxes and tissues and I wonder what the fuck I'm doing. If I grab four of them, that's essentially preparing myself to never see them again. And I might not see them for a long time. But I can't live like that, hoarding things like a fucking squirrel who stumbled across a crack pipe stuck in a tree. It's not so much that it's antisocial, but rather self-loathing. I put two of them back. My back issues of Pravda are working fine for wiping my ass, I kind of prefer it, to be honest.

By blaming all this on John G. Trump's nephew, we're doing something not so smart. We're essentially handling him a responsibility that he realistically never had in the first place. By blaming him for the failure, we then give him the keys to the success. Maybe the failure would have to be his, because the buck indeed has to stop right there. But the success ain't his. It never was his. 98.5% survival rate belongs to all the people who actually made that happen. The doctors, the kid at the supermarket who wiped down the carts with spray that was cunningly dispensed from a bottle of expensive tequila that was in fact filled with a plastic jug of cheap tequila, and the nurses, all the phillysailors out there doing their thing, the Clinician who can't see her children because she doesn't want to risk bringing an infection into the woman's prison where she has to show up, every day, can't be scared when you have a couple thousand prisoners relying on her for their health. Those are the people who get to march down the street on the April 15th parade, not some politician who hasn't busted his ass and volunteered his time to care for people.

Blaming him for any of this is just as nonsensical as giving him credit for any of this.

 

Blow it out your gasbag ass

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

:D me too?

I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of people on Sailing Anarchy live in countries with "socialist" health insurance. So there is that.

I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of people on Sailing Anarchy have The Joke on ignore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Joker said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-general-motors-ventilators-defense-production-act

President Trump said Friday that he had directed Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar to require General Motors to begin making ventilators under the Defense Production Act to combat the coronavirus pandemic after negotiations with the automaker had stalled.

 

 

"In a statement published on its website, GM affirmed its ability to meet the demand: “Depending on the needs of the federal government, Ventec and GM are poised to deliver the first ventilators next month and ramp up to a manufacturing capacity of more than 10,000 critical care ventilators per month with the infrastructure and capability to scale further.”

Less than 24 hours earlier, Trump had downplayed the need for the crucial medical equipment, which is used to help the most ill patients suffering from respiratory failure due to the coronavirus. Appearing on Fox News Thursday night, the president dismissed calls by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo for his state to receive 30,000 more ventilators on top of the 7,000 or so they currently have.

“I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators,” Trump said. “You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now, all of a sudden, they’re saying, Can we order 30,000 ventilators?”:"

https://news.yahoo.com/in-reversal-trump-uses-defense-production-act-to-force-gm-to-make-ventilators-214106403.html

 

I think we could use a ruling from @Pun Slinger on this.

He downplayed the need for ventilators, then made the need for them urgent.   One of these claims must be "hyperbole".  Which is it @Pun Slinger?   We need to know which position is just "hyperbole".

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

turns out Covid causes heart attack and long term cardio symptoms in a non insignificant percentage of healthy patients.  Study published today.  Whoops. 

Most any damage in the lungs will risk damage to the whole cardiovascular system.

But I'm curious about the "long term" symptoms. This thing is barely three months old. How are they getting their "long term" studies? Are they using a Montreal Expos time machine that can also take data inthefuture.com?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Fuck that attitude. I'm going to work, and I'm going to do a good job on these patients. That's what I do.

GM is full of people with a similar attitude. They don't work for a blowhard president. They work for customers. For Americans and America.

Stop equating the Gropenführer with the government, with the US. He's an emperor displaying his big bare ass. The country needs some vents, GM can step up, and if there's anything we know about government spending, they ain't gonna get completely stiffed. Nope, lots of our tax bucks to spend.

Stay safe.   And thank you 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

134 dead from Covid in NYC in the last 24 hours.    This shit is going to be horrorific in that city.  Maybe 5 to 10 times more dead than on 9/11

I’m beginning to wonder if mass sacrifice will be needed to protect Trump from the unthinkability of his errors.  (Thanks to Tim Snyder for that)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Stay safe.   And thank you 

Yeah, thoughts and prayers from the Reich. 

How about you stand up for Med4All? 

By now, unless you are stupid beyond belief, you should have figured out that the present US health care system (if you can even call it that), 

gravely endangers not only the un- or under-insured, but you and your family too !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

By now, unless you are stupid beyond belief, you should have figured out that the present US health care system (if you can even call it that), 

gravely endangers not only the un- or under-insured, but you and your family too !!

I think you have your answer don't you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikewof said:

Most any damage in the lungs will risk damage to the whole cardiovascular system.

But I'm curious about the "long term" symptoms. This thing is barely three months old. How are they getting their "long term" studies? Are they using a Montreal Expos time machine that can also take data inthefuture.com?

Nope, not the expos, the Canadiens.  With the NHL shut down there's a whole lot of hockey sticks to love.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

“We are witnessing in the United States one of the greatest failures of basic governance and basic leadership in modern times.”

Jeremy Konyndyk, who led the US government’s response to international disasters at USAid from 2013 to 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mid said:

“We are witnessing in the United States one of the greatest failures of basic governance and basic leadership in modern times.”

Jeremy Konyndyk, who led the US government’s response to international disasters at USAid from 2013 to 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster

Elections have consequences.

maybe we shouldn’t have burned the bitch down?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sean said:

Pretty grim in my county. Cases up over 800% in a week.

 

55B347AB-06B7-4816-8480-D03F93540921.jpeg

Brutal. My County will be similar if we ever really start testing. But we won’t. Small, poor County of Trumpers. It’s a democRAT hoax here. Give it a few weeks and it’ll be “Goll durn there sure is a lotta pneumonia this year.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Elections have consequences.

maybe we shouldn’t have burned the bitch down?

B-b-but Hillary used email!

Nobody knew a gov't would ever have to deal with disasters, this is totally unprecedented! Trump does not take any responsibility!

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Brutal. My County will be similar if we ever really start testing. But we won’t. Small, poor County of Trumpers. It’s a democRAT hoax here. Give it a few weeks and it’ll be “Goll durn there sure is a lotta pneumonia this year.”

What is your hospital showing for flu symptoms?  If you think it's a coverup you might find something to suspect.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/influenza/index.html

This is current activity up to 3/21

outbreak.png   activity-level.png

More FL information here

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Brutal. My County will be similar if we ever really start testing. But we won’t. Small, poor County of Trumpers. It’s a democRAT hoax here. Give it a few weeks and it’ll be “Goll durn there sure is a lotta pneumonia this year.”

How many pneumonia cases and/or deaths did your county see last year?

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Accurate -

 

The Hamptons
The HamptonsGetty Images

The Hamptons are so over-run with wealthy New Yorkers panic-buying food and stretching medical supplies that local leaders are now asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to issue a travel ban from the city.

The move comes after Dr. Deborah Birx, of the White House coronavirus response team, said at a press conference this week with President Donald Trump that cases of the virus were spreading from New York City with people trying to flee the epicenter of the virus.

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hamptons-seek-travel-ban-on-corona-fleeing-new-yorkers-from-cuomo/

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Accurate -

 

The Hamptons
The HamptonsGetty Images

The Hamptons are so over-run with wealthy New Yorkers panic-buying food and stretching medical supplies that local leaders are now asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to issue a travel ban from the city.

The move comes after Dr. Deborah Birx, of the White House coronavirus response team, said at a press conference this week with President Donald Trump that cases of the virus were spreading from New York City with people trying to flee the epicenter of the virus.

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hamptons-seek-travel-ban-on-corona-fleeing-new-yorkers-from-cuomo/

I like what Brian Williams had to say about Brix.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/brian-williams-savagely-mocks-dr-brixs-lavish-dear-leader-praise-of-trump-translated-from-the-original-north-korean/

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Accurate -

The HamptonsGetty Images

The Hamptons are so over-run with wealthy New Yorkers panic-buying food and stretching medical supplies that local leaders are now asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to issue a travel ban from the city.

The move comes after Dr. Deborah Birx, of the White House coronavirus response team, said at a press conference this week with President Donald Trump that cases of the virus were spreading from New York City with people trying to flee the epicenter of the virus.

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hamptons-seek-travel-ban-on-corona-fleeing-new-yorkers-from-cuomo/

More intersting stuff from tracking cellphones.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/27/cell-phone-tracking-analysis-shows-where-florida-springbreakers-and-new-yorkers

Scroll down from the run from NYC

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Just like Puerto Rico, Trump can't actually lead.  He can't put his pride aside.  He can't stand anyone else having ideas.  He is incapable of empathy.  Just what we need in a time like this, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-gretchen-whitmer-michigan-coronavirus-feud-032411002.html

I suspect it's worse than that. I think he's deliberately preventing testing to keep the numbers our of the news.

There is simply no way that a small country like mine can test 200,000 people in a matter of weeks , we're testing 10,000 per day and just received 1.5 million finger prick tests ready to go and the USA are so far behind.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I suspect it's worse than that. I think he's deliberately preventing testing to keep the numbers our of the news.

There is simply no way that a small country like mine can test 200,000 people in a matter of weeks , we're testing 10,000 per day and just received 1.5 million finger prick tests ready to go and the USA are so far behind.

We have our Best Bullshitters working on a marketing campaign that will knock your socks off. Testing could undermine that, as well as our number 1 ranking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little late, but I do have a little experience with ventilators. It's not like banging out jeeps during the war.

A ventilator is considered 'critical life support equipment', in that if it fails, somebody dies. That gives the FDA the willies, so they scrutinize them extra. Sure, you could strongarm the Agency, but the QA people at GM still need to be satisfied. 

Building ventilators involves tracking every part from cradle to grave, having procedures for assembly, in process tests, qualifications, verifications, and certifications. And that's after all the tests to qualify the design. 

What ventilator will GM build? One of their own design would not be ready for years.  Is an existing company simply going to give them the design, suppliers, and documentation necessary to put an assembly line together? 

The whole idea is rediculous. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mikewof said:

If you allowed numbers into your thought process, perhaps you wouldn't have to be rude.

Just shut up. Your stupid comparisons between CV19 and flu are hurtful, childish and simply wrong headed. The bottom line here is that there is a herd immunity to flu, there are vaccines for flu. 

in one year, 50% of the population dont get fucking flu. do you even both looking at the infection rate graphs of this virus,

Find me one that looks like this for flu

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-cases-data-reveals-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704

(and we have little community spread here so far)

or 

Just     shut     up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

He will need to find a new state to vote for him.  This one's out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mikewof said:
14 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

yes they do. 

If you allowed numbers into your thought process, perhaps you wouldn't have to be rude.

Says  the guy who had "rate of change" explained several times, and apparently still doesn't get it.

BTW I had a little visit (socially distanced of course) with an anesthesiologist who lives near me, and we both recall the crankilator but not the company that made it. She knew less about how it worked anyway, MDs don't disassemble/reassemble equipment. There was another device called the Baby Bird ("bird" was an acronym for something else neither of us could remember) that she kept bringing up. Sorry

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

A little late, but I do have a little experience with ventilators. It's not like banging out jeeps during the war.

A ventilator is considered 'critical life support equipment', in that if it fails, somebody dies. That gives the FDA the willies, so they scrutinize them extra. Sure, you could strongarm the Agency, but the QA people at GM still need to be satisfied. 

Building ventilators involves tracking every part from cradle to grave, having procedures for assembly, in process tests, qualifications, verifications, and certifications. And that's after all the tests to qualify the design. 

What ventilator will GM build? One of their own design would not be ready for years.  Is an existing company simply going to give them the design, suppliers, and documentation necessary to put an assembly line together? 

The whole idea is rediculous. 

they are working with an existing company. Goal is to bring existing design to a big production line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

A little late, but I do have a little experience with ventilators. It's not like banging out jeeps during the war.

A ventilator is considered 'critical life support equipment', in that if it fails, somebody dies. That gives the FDA the willies, so they scrutinize them extra. Sure, you could strongarm the Agency, but the QA people at GM still need to be satisfied. 

Building ventilators involves tracking every part from cradle to grave, having procedures for assembly, in process tests, qualifications, verifications, and certifications. And that's after all the tests to qualify the design. 

What ventilator will GM build? One of their own design would not be ready for years.  Is an existing company simply going to give them the design, suppliers, and documentation necessary to put an assembly line together? 

The whole idea is rediculous. 

It's more supply chain management and assembly.  Ford is working with 3M to make respirator/masks and GM is working with GE on their ventilators.

But "Ford" and "GM' are project managers in this case into critical components.. For example ( https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/gm-suppliers-preparing-manufacture-ventilator-parts ) what GM is really doing is directing a Tier1 to make custom parts for the appropriate size compressor:  "Meridian Lightweight Technologies Holdings Inc. of Southfield, Mich., is helping GM procure six different compressor parts made of magnesium for an estimated 200,000 ventilators said Joe Petrillo, director of North American sales."  That part actually makes a lot of sense.  They (GM/Ford) MIGHT do some assembly but I tend to doubt it.  I'm guessing they plus-up the assembly where it's going on today and create more manufacturing cells.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

they are working with an existing company. Goal is to bring existing design to a big production line.

That has a chance, but I still don't see it happening fast... like under 4 months to first patient. And it would require significant investment by GM. 

Fast, Cheap, Good; Pick two.  And in this case, there's no compromising on 'Good' ... or maybe I'm wrong, but that's a different discussion ("let grandma die")

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

That has a chance, but I still don't see it happening fast... like under 4 months to first patient. And it would require significant investment by GM. 

Fast, Cheap, Good; Pick two.  And in this case, there's no compromising on 'Good' ... or maybe I'm wrong, but that's a different discussion ("let grandma die")

It's trump's idea, it's bound to be a bad one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

  • Like 12
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

It's more supply chain management and assembly.  Ford is working with 3M to make respirator/masks and GM is working with GE on their ventilators.

But "Ford" and "GM' are project managers in this case.. For example ( https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/gm-suppliers-preparing-manufacture-ventilator-parts ) what GM is really doing is directing a Tier1 to make custom parts for the appropriate size motor:  "Meridian Lightweight Technologies Holdings Inc. of Southfield, Mich., is helping GM procure six different compressor parts made of magnesium for an estimated 200,000 ventilators said Joe Petrillo, director of North American sales."  That part actually makes a lot of sense.  They MIGHT do some assembly but I tend to doubt it.  I'm guessing they plus-up the assembly where it's going on today and create more manufacturing cells.

Ok, this I can see;  'Here, mr subassembly supplier, we just got you a lot more of your parts"  Better (but still not simple) to ramp up existing production lines. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the label say GM or Ford? Holy crap, I'm going to need heavy sedatives to sleep if I spy those logos from my hospital bed.

Wherever did this bizarre idea come from anyway? How is anything, or person, at a car factory suited to making precision/clean/reliable devices?  What part of a ventilator needs sloppy spot welds and air-driven 10mm screws? Plus the whole auto industry, except maybe Tesla, take years and years just to make a slightly modified version of a new car model. Headed for a pile-up, that idea is.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Just what I always wanted, an Aston Martin ventilator

B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hard someone.

Too bad he can't get a good ass kicking in the process. He really turned into a statistical douche.

In other news - last night on local news a group at Rice U (our local spot for brainiacs) showed off a ventilator that could be produced for $300 - am I am sure it would be jzk approved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hard someone.

Thank you!  His behavior wrt this virus has been reprehensible.  It’s quite probable some in our community are going to lose a loved one to Coronavirus and his telling them it’s no big deal won’t play well.  It would get his ass kicked in person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I think you have your answer don't you?

Well as you say; since they apparently have NOT figured it out, they must be stupid beyond belief. 

Not to mention being about as mean as any living being can be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Where is Rudy in all of this. 2 months ago he said he had earth shattering dirt on Biden and Ukraine that would be coming out “very soon “. 

Are you lost? This is the covid-19 preparedness thread - the Biden one is a couple doors down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Where is Rudy in all of this. 2 months ago he said he had earth shattering dirt on Biden and Ukraine that would be coming out “very soon “. 

Right now its Donnies time in the spotlightand he's lovin it, closer to November is when i would expect Rudy to pop up with all sorts of dirt, its the way the R election cycle rolls especially now that everyone knows there's a quid pro quo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A loving tribute from The Guardian:

Quote

Pity the people of America. They do battle now with one of the greatest challenges in their history, led by a man who is not only among the worst ever occupants of the White House but whose character makes him the last person on the face of the Earth you would nominate to be in charge at this moment. On Thursday the US reached the top of the global league table for coronavirus infections, edging ahead of its closest rival for that honour, China. No law of nature dictated that outcome. Much of it is directly attributable to one dreadful fact: that Donald Trump is president of the United States.

It’s become a commonplace to note Trump’s lack of basic human empathy, his tendency to be unmoved by others’ loss. But that gap in his mindset matters now far beyond an inability to offer consolation to the bereaved: it is warping his approach to a lethal disease.

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” he tweeted in caps lock at the start of the week, shortly after Steve Hilton, one-time adviser to David Cameron, had made that same argument on his Fox News show. (If you look up the word “chutzpah” in the dictionary, it now directs you to a clip of Hilton warning on that same broadcast that austerity policies in the UK caused an extra 130,000 deaths – failing to mention that he was at the right hand of the prime minister who imposed that austerity.)

Trump and his outriders contend that, while mass death is not ideal, it’s better than allowing the US economy to stall. Some, like Texas lieutenant governor Dan Patrick, are explicit, urging the elderly to risk their lives so that their grandchildren might enjoy the fruits of uninterrupted American capitalism. “If that’s the exchange, I’m all in,” Patrick said. He was taking his cue from Trump who, while not putting it quite as baldly, has been quite clear. If coronavirus is a stick-up artist asking America, “Your money or your life”, Trump’s response has been: “Take the lives of the old and the weak: I want the money.”

Of course, no such choice is available. Even if Trump were to get his way, ditching social distancing and having the US open for business by Easter, the disease would not politely confine its appetite to the groups Trump has deemed dispensable. Instead the virus would run rampant, infecting an estimated half the population. Not that Trump would know or recognise that, thanks to a second character trait that, like the void where his sense of compassion should be, is so fatefully, and fatally, determining the US response to this pandemic: namely, his disregard for science.

“This is just my hunch,” he said as he dismissed a projection of the likely Covid-19 death rate by the World Health Organization as “a false number”. On Thursday, he said “I have a feeling” that New York would need far fewer ventilators than the tens of thousands the state has requested. “You know, you go into major hospitals sometimes, they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying can we order 30,000 ventilators?” An imbecile at the head of the US government would always be a problem. But an imbecile so narcissistic that he elevates his own stunted knowledge above the judgment of medicine and science is a calamity.

The effect is to undermine whatever public health effort the professionals can mount, as they try to work around the man they serve. At its most visual, it’s the daily press briefing where Trump fails to observe the social distancing measures his administration is demanding of the American public, with himself standing at the centre of a cluster of speakers bunched together by the podium. Note the initial insistence that corona was nothing to worry about, that it was no more than flu, that it would soon disappear, like a “miracle”. All of that succeeded in lowering Americans’ guard.

Since then, it’s been the daily grouching at the stay-at-home directives, the hint that they’ll be relaxed soon, the absurd promises that a vaccine is “very close”. The impact is plain to see, in data that confirms that Americans break down on partisan lines even over the most basic matters of mortality. One in four Republicans still say they are “not concerned at all” about the virus – while only 5% of Democrats are similarly unbothered. Only 14% of Democrats trust Trump for information on the virus, compared with 90% of Republicans. Put simply, there is a body of Americans who do not take this threat as seriously as they should, and the blame for that lies with the president.

Trump’s dishonesty matters here too. He was rightly derided in 2016 as a “snake-oil salesman”, and the cliche is so well-worn it’s easy to forget what it originally refers to: the 19th-century hawkers who sold bogus cures to the gullible. Recall that Trump rushed to tell people a pre-existing drug would cure Covid-19, leading to a shortage of a medication that was needed for other illnesses, and several deaths, as desperate people rushed to buy tablets that, for them, proved lethal.

The US president always was capricious and vengeful, but now that character flaw is a matter of life and death. State governors are crying out for federal help, not for themselves but for the people they represent: the nurses and doctors who need protective equipment and testing kits, the patients who need ventilators. But instead of leaping to their aid, Trump tells the governors it’s their responsibility, even though they have a fraction of the procurement power of the US government – adding that if they want help, they’d better grovel. “It’s a two-way street,” Trump said this week. “They have to treat us well.” Even when lives are on the line, his ego with its paper-thin skin comes first.

Americans are paying the price for his lack of foresight, his closure of a pandemic task force for no better reason than it was established by Barack Obama – he hates anything with his predecessor’s name on it – and his failure to heed the warnings of a pandemic preparedness exercise, codenamed Crimson Contagion, that identified glaring gaps as recently as last October. Yet still he repeats the line that nobody could have known what was coming. And they are paying the price for his weakness, as he demands steadfastness in a war against an “invisible enemy”, only to leave heavy hints that he’s ready to fold after a week, apparently deciding that 15 days is too long to stay at home.

America is lucky it has a federal system that means not all power lies with the president, that at least some rests in the hands of responsible mayors and governors, the likes of New York’s Andrew Cuomo. The nation is lucky too that the House of Representatives is controlled by Democrats, who crafted a $2.2tn economic bill from what would otherwise have been a trough into which Trump’s corporate pals could sink their snouts.

But these are small consolations for America and indeed for the world, which needed the leadership only a US president has the clout to provide. Instead, the world’s peoples now look at the US and comfort themselves with the small solace that they, at least, face only a lethal disease, and not the malignancy that is Donald Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/27/trump-narcissism-american-blood-coronavirus

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another lack of leadership on display. How long ago could the orders have been placed?

Faced with a torrent of criticism from cities and states that have been pleading for help to deal with the most critically ill coronavirus victims, Mr. Trump also announced on Friday that the federal government would buy thousands of ventilators from a variety of makers, though it appeared doubtful they could be produced in time to help hospitals that are now overwhelmed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Won’t move the meter. The Pride of The GOP could limo over to the Archives, roll out the Constitution on the floor, squat down and pinch one off on it, and wipe his ass with the flag, and his supporters would not care. If he took the limo to the Supervisor of Elections office in PB and switched parties, that would cause his supporters to bail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sean said:

Accurate -

 

The Hamptons
The HamptonsGetty Images

The Hamptons are so over-run with wealthy New Yorkers panic-buying food and stretching medical supplies that local leaders are now asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to issue a travel ban from the city.

The move comes after Dr. Deborah Birx, of the White House coronavirus response team, said at a press conference this week with President Donald Trump that cases of the virus were spreading from New York City with people trying to flee the epicenter of the virus.

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hamptons-seek-travel-ban-on-corona-fleeing-new-yorkers-from-cuomo/

rhode island is going door-to-door, and pulling over ny plated vehicles, to enforce 14 day quarantine on fleeing city folk.

should work out there as well

are the passenger ferries still running to block?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bus Driver said:

So, you have nothing to back up your claim Dr. Fauci was not battling a sudden urge to laugh at what the President said.

No surprise.  No surprise, at all.

Definitely a lozenge in his throat. Any idiot can see it. That’s why he goes for the forehead...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
On 3/25/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bus Driver said:

So, you have nothing to back up your claim Dr. Fauci was not battling a sudden urge to laugh at what the President said.

No surprise.  No surprise, at all.

Definitely a lozenge in his throat. Any idiot can see it. That’s why he goes for the forehead...

 

That is exactly why, when I have a runny nose, I scratch my elbow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

Hoorah!  His misinformation was dangerous and Trumpian.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Nobody knew a gov't would ever have to deal with disasters, this is totally unprecedented! Trump does not take any responsibility!

- DSK

Why should he?

The Kenyan left him a shithole country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Detroit won WW2 for the Allies* because it could churn out good shit fast & quick. They still can, they know how to make shit, and they’ve electronics assembly plants.

*how? Because they gave the brave men of the UK & commonwealth, the USSR, the USA, and the other allies the guns, bombs, tanks, Jeep’s and planes necessary to win the war.

It took them a few months to retool in 1942,    The prototype shops with 3d printers and skilled specialists able to one off parts can produce expensive product in low numbers quickly, but having them inefficiently build ventilators may be cheaper then idleness if GM doesn’t plan on laying all the people off.   Dyson is reportedly trying as well.    It’s better to pay them for expensive equipment then to pay them unemployment.   We didn’t plan ahead.   Government slept when the outbreak started.   It’s too late to work smart.   It’s time to work hard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

In ww2 they already had ideas of what they wanted to do, Roosevelt hired Bill “my business is making thing” Knudsen  in 1940 to head a production board, Bill concentrated on machine tools to begin. I grossly oversimplify, but “freedom’s forge” by Arthur Herman is a good light read on it.

I agree completely.  Trump is no Roosevelt.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cmilliken said:

Dyson seems to have moved pretty quick https://news.yahoo.com/dyson-designs-ventilator-10-days-184812185.html but this is really in his wheelhouse so it makes sense.

That’s not all it seems either, another vacuum company based in the UK started a few weeks ago, strangely enough didn’t get the governments vocal support and press releases........ nothing to do with sharing political ideals?? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mad said:

That’s not all it seems either, another vacuum company based in the UK started a few weeks ago, strangely enough didn’t get the governments vocal support and press releases........ nothing to do with sharing political ideals?? 

From the article, he also dropped a billion dollar 'pre-buy' on his own product - that'll help :)  In truth, I am a little surprised the Bloomberg hasn't offered to bankroll a bunch of em for New York.  Given the Trump/Cuomo sniping, I would think that would be a nice humanitarian gesture and political shiv at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

Thanks Clean,  having a friend who’s a frontline respiratory nurse, it was becoming sickening to read his constant misinformation and derision........it’s a lot worse than they’re letting on!! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Well, President Trump did inherit "a broken country".

 

Can’t somebody just drug him for a month or 6!!  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

From the article, he also dropped a billion dollar 'pre-buy' on his own product - that'll help :)  In truth, I am a little surprised the Bloomberg hasn't offered to bankroll a bunch of em for New York.  Given the Trump/Cuomo sniping, I would think that would be a nice humanitarian gesture and political shiv at the same time.

He operates behind the scenes.  I’m sure he’s doing a lot for NYC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

From the article, he also dropped a billion dollar 'pre-buy' on his own product - that'll help :)  In truth, I am a little surprised the Bloomberg hasn't offered to bankroll a bunch of em for New York.  Given the Trump/Cuomo sniping, I would think that would be a nice humanitarian gesture and political shiv at the same time.

Unfortunately 80 percent of the public only hear or read the headline!!  The press are equally to blame. 

Link to post
Share on other sites