US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

11 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Please show where that rule is.   Also please remind us when Sol received a time out for downplaying Ebola.  A disease that actually has an incredibly high death rate  

As to comparing to the flu.  The same precautions that apply to the flu apply to corona.   PPE is the same in hospitals as is personal hygiene wash your hands cough into your elbow don’t touch your face.  If sick stay away from others.  

2 people died from Ebola in the US, which is 1/8000 the total of Coronavirus deaths so far. Do you believe that is attributable to the stellar handling of the crisis by the administration at that time vs the administration today, or because it was substantially less contagious, or both. 

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bus Driver

• mikewof

• Fakenews

• Raz'r

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, I gave Mikey a time out, which will be the same response anyone gets for calling the coronavirus response measures 'hysteria' or peddling misinformation that could hurt someone.

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to ever

Posted Images

1 minute ago, mad said:

But you weren’t here then either were you??...........unless of course this Gator posting from the grave. 

No.  However the Ebola thread started in 2014 lives on and I came across it via a quick search.

19 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Please show where that rule is.   Also please remind us when Sol received a time out for downplaying Ebola.  A disease that actually has an incredibly high death rate  

As to comparing to the flu.  The same precautions that apply to the flu apply to corona.   PPE is the same in hospitals as is personal hygiene wash your hands cough into your elbow don’t touch your face.  If sick stay away from others.  

There is no rule that says POS’s like yourself can’t post here but eventually their welcome is worn out and they are banned anyway.  Borrowed time and all....

4 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

No.  However the Ebola thread started in 2014 lives on and I came across it via a quick search.

Of course you did BG, we believe you. :P

11 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Are you kidding!  Sol SAVED PA from Ebola by all accounts.  Of course you weren’t here then so you don’t remember that but the search function is your friend.

Thank you.  It was the best public service thread in the history of the internet, in my very humble opinion. Many people are saying it, and they are staying it very strongly and sincerely, belief me.  There was one nutter who ended up on meds because of Simple Jack's Fearbola thread, but my thread could only protect him from getting Ebola, not from being a bullshitting crazy fuckwit. I think it's time for a refresher.  

12 minutes ago, LenP said:

2 people died from Ebola in the US, which is 1/8000 the total of Coronavirus deaths so far. Do you believe that is attributable to the stellar handling of the crisis by the administration at that time vs the administration today, or because it was substantially less contagious, or both. 

Ebola takes a lot more contact and exchange of bodily fluids to infect therefore less contagious.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/about.html

The virus spreads to people initially through direct contact with the blood, body fluids and tissues of animals. Ebola virus then spreads to other people through direct contact with body fluids of a person who is sick with or has died from EVD. This can occur when a person touches these infected body fluids (or objects that are contaminated with them), and the virus gets in through broken skin or mucous membranes in the eyes, nose, or mouth. People can get the virus through sexual contact with someone who is sick with EVD, and also after recovery from EVD. The virus can persist in certain body fluids, like semen, after recovery from the illness.

6 minutes ago, mad said:
11 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Of course you did BG, we believe you.

As bad as Jack pretending he is not Jack.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

If you don't like the way the folks who run this sandbox handle things, you can always find another sandbox.

But first, rinse the sand out of your mangina and quit whining.

Yeah he could leave, but isn't making his case to the folks who run the sandbox an acceptable option too?

43 minutes ago, LenP said:

Not the point I was making.  I just found it over the top to give someone a time out because they were providing statistics that offended the wrong people.  

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Not the point I was making.  I just found it over the top to give someone a time out because they were providing statistics that offended people.  

Are you lying or just this stupid?  It's hard to discern from here.

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

And my stalker shows up right on time.  Where am I lying asshole?  

Well, dipshit you stated it was because his stats offended people. Nope, he was stating "facts" that if followed would kill people.  And replying to your stupid shit isn't stalking pinhead.  Try the butthurt cream on the next aisle.

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Well, dipshit you stated it was because his stats offended people. Nope, he was stating "facts" that if followed would kill people.  And replying to your stupid shit isn't stalking pinhead.  Try the butthurt cream on the next aisle.

Bullshit he didn’t tell anyone to follow anything.   Well Correction maybe you were all set to follow his guidance.  Most engaged in debating him.   I didn’t agree with most of what he wrote but I saw nothing that should have generated a time out.  

Whatever not my fight 

3 minutes ago, mad said:

The Joker,

Founding member of the Wofsey supporters club. :lol:

Nope Mike and I are on opposite sides on most issues.   I still think there should be a minor degree of fairness and a timeout for being long winded sets the bar pretty low. 

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

Nope Mike and I are on opposite sides on most issues.   I still think there should be a minor degree of fairness and a timeout for being long winded sets the bar pretty low. 

I'm sure when you build a forum, you will be the benevolent dictator you always wanted to be.

• Like 1

Most other forums, Mikey would have been gone long ago, and Joker would have been gone.

Here they whine and whine.

Let Mikey stay, it's amazing to watch the descent into madness.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Not the point I was making.  I just found it over the top to give someone a time out because they were providing statistics that offended the wrong people.  

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to every active poster. There are plenty of people out there who will latch on to any false hope in regards to this crisis. Mike spreading his nonsensical pseudo science could easily lead some folks to not take precautions, to not be careful, and in doing so to kill themselves or others. It is not harmless or simply annoying, it is dangerous, and so is treated differently than someone who is simply offensive. Nobody banned Mike for his nonsensical rantings about home searches in Boston after the bombing, or about hunting deer from a lawn chair, he was given a time out because he was spreading misinformation as fact, and if anyone believed him it could result in somebody dying. 

• Like 9
16 minutes ago, The Joker said:

However, Wofsey set an unassailably high bar...... and has done since his arrival. 

You reap what you sow.  

10 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Most other forums, Mikey would have been gone long ago, and Joker would have been gone.

Here they whine and whine.

Let Mikey stay, it's amazing to watch the descent into madness.

The lunatics want to run the asylum.  :lol:

12 hours ago, mikewof said:

It's a question. You wrote something about contagions, it seems that now you aren't interested any longer.

I never was - stupidity bores me even when couched in knowledgeable sounding words.

By the way, I just checked the current numbers. Trump's incompetence  has already got the USA up to 17% of the global death toll.

And it appears to be accelerating.

WTF happened to you Mike? You used to be intelligent and worth reading.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Are you lying or just this stupid?  It's hard to discern from here.

It's both - pretty consistently too.

58 minutes ago, LenP said:
1 hour ago, The Joker said:

It is not whether it offends, it is whether it is dangerous. Spreading false information about the dangers of a pandemic can kill people. Most forums have a ratio of between 10 and 100 lurkers to every active poster. There are plenty of people out there who will latch on to any false hope in regards to this crisis. Mike spreading his nonsensical pseudo science could easily lead some folks to not take precautions, to not be careful, and in doing so to kill themselves or others. It is not harmless or simply annoying, it is dangerous, and so is treated differently than someone who is simply offensive. Nobody banned Mike for his nonsensical rantings about home searches in Boston after the bombing, or about hunting deer from a lawn chair, he was given a time out because he was spreading misinformation as fact, and if anyone believed him it could result in somebody dying. 

Yep

Bear in mind that The Joker is part of the bullshit brigade, not just bullshitting but actively trying to harm the USA and our people. Arguing that Mikey should not have had a time-out is the closest he gets to clever strategy.

- DSK

3 hours ago, The Joker said:

Please recall that Sol didn't downplay Ebola, he downplayed Malarkey's irrational fear of Ebola and his penchant for finding fault with anything Obama did or didn't do. Obama wasn't perfect, but he would have had handled this in a better, more thoughtful and more professional manner.

Can I get a Yoo-hoo anyone?

• Like 3

MIke has gone the way of Jeffy, where it is the argument itself that gets them all wet and excited.

It's not stupidity, it's the desire to find an anomaly or position in the detail that is not popular and flog it to death ad nauseum till everyone signs up and agrees with said anomaly, preferably with an acknowledgment of the authors superior intellect along the way. 

You can be the worlds premier expert on a subject, but if you are a dick on the delivery and can't put up a sensible and cogent argument, you're the problem, not your audience. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Next thing you know, you will claim Mikey's 1A rights are being violated.

I think he already was indirectly or at least that the moderators don't play fair. I taught high school and that argument really was a junior high one. I agree that people who don't like the way the forum is run should go elsewhere. If I was moderating there would be more people on temporary and and permanent holidays.

2 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

It's not stupidity, it's the desire to find an anomaly or position that is not popular and flog it to death ad nauseum till everyone signs up and agrees with said anomaly, preferably with an acknowledgment of the authors superior intellect along the way.    

it almost always happens to people who are very isolated from social situations. They forget how to relate to others.  You see it all the time in singlehanders. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/492053-coronavirus-now-leading-cause-of-death-in-us

Covid19 is now the leading cause of death in the US. Good work, bullshitters. What say you? Spin it up!

Sol, why spread lies. It's not covid, it's the lack of oxygen. Damn deep state.

A reminder that the fight against stupid is an ancient one, wasn't so long ago that a few forum members were actually throwing women into ponds to establish justice.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-pseudoscience-for-covid-19/

The biggest pseudoscience is the denial of epidemiology itself, and by extension of experts and the very notion of expertise. One form this took (and still does) was a denial of the pandemic or its seriousness. One common tactic of denial was to falsely compare COVID-19 to the flu. This is not the flu. The mortality rate, while still unknown, is at least two orders of magnitude greater than the flu and perhaps more. The 2018-2019 season flu caused 35.5 million cases and 34,000 deaths in the US, with a mortality rate of around 0.01%. Currently COVID-19 in the US has caused 374,329 cases and 12,064 deaths. The mortality rate of COVID-19 is hard to say, because those are not all completed cases.

If you look at all completed cases worldwide the mortality rate is currently 21%. But this is unlikely to be accurate, partly because there are many cases unreported and many people who are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic who are not being counted. At the same time, early reporting in NYC shows an increase in deaths at home (not tested and therefore not counted) which would mean the number of deaths from COVID-19 may be underestimated by as much as 40%. So the mortality rate is somewhere between 2 and 3 orders of magnitude greater than the flu, and this is a very contagious disease. By now everyone should know the goal of physical distancing is to flatten the curve, to limit the pulse of cases that threaten to overwhelm our hospitals and ICUs (which is already happening in places like NYC).

32 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

MIke has gone the way of Jeffy, where it is the argument itself that gets them all wet and excited.

It's not stupidity, it's the desire to find an anomaly or position in the detail that is not popular and flog it to death ad nauseum till everyone signs up and agrees with said anomaly, preferably with an acknowledgment of the authors superior intellect along the way.  

You're talking about Dogballs.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

it almost always happens to people who are very isolated from social situations. They forget how to relate to others.  You see it all the time in singlehanders. 

So we can expect an imminent mass outbreak of it? :D

19 minutes ago, toad said:

A reminder that the fight against stupid is an ancient one, wasn't so long ago that a few forum members were actually throwing women into ponds to establish justice.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-pseudoscience-for-covid-19/

Currently the USA stats are;

Recovered - 25K

Dead - 16K

Yeah - looks just like the flu.

Until now the Trumpista stupids here were only a danger to your democracy.

Now they are life threatening.

2000 ventilators to be made

By Tim Rose07:48

Around 2000 life-saving ventilators will be manufactured in Australia to significantly boost the capacity of hospitals responding to COVID-19.

The first of the ventilators could be in hospitals by June, with the national roll-out expected to be completed by late July.

The Federal Government yesterday said it had struck a $31 million deal with manufacturers to produce the machines in Australia.Another 500 will be supplied by US company Resmed.

Seems manageable and at $15K Aus per ventilator the price seems pretty reasonable.

The more we bend that curve the more it appears to be a force multiplier in according you:

• more time;
  • less cost;
  • less resources;
  • servicing demand rationally without resorting to Ebay; and
  • employing local manufacturing

Hmmm...  

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep

Bear in mind that The Joker is part of the bullshit brigade, not just bullshitting but actively trying to harm the USA and our people. Arguing that Mikey should not have had a time-out is the closest he gets to clever strategy.

- DSK

Bear what in mind you pretentious idiot.   You constantly spout lies and your HATE HATE HATE messages.   Where the fuck do you get off claiming I'm actively trying to harm people.

As an essential worker I'm working 12 hour days helping people,  what are you doing to help  Cuddling with your wife reading library books?

20 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yep  Same place they have buried unknows for over 100 years  

Typically, some 25 bodies are interred each week by low-paid jail inmates working on the island, which sits off the east shore of the city’s Bronx borough and is accessible only by boat. That number began increasing in March as the new coronavirus spread rapidly, making New York the epicenter of the global pandemic.

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I’ve never seen anything like this before..... and that’s saying something, worked with oddballs all over the world.  Maybe it’s because they were all situations where you had to be social and try to get along with people? 

When was the last time anybody saw a thread where the same proportion of people that disagree with him here, agreed with him on any other subject?? 

50/50 maybe? 

anybody........??? 

2 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

The fancy ones have shelving so that the bodies don’t have to be piled on top of each other.

sobering .

17 minutes ago, The Joker said:

As an essential worker I'm working 12 hour days helping people,  what are you doing to help  Cuddling with your wife reading library books?

What you are posting here 12 hours a day helps nobody. I, for one, am indeed cuddling with my wife reading a book. Can think of nothing better.

23 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Bear what in mind you pretentious idiot.   You constantly spout lies and your HATE HATE HATE messages.   Where the fuck do you get off claiming I'm actively trying to harm people.

No, cuddling with your wife.

Don't worry, I'm not teaching her to read though

-DSK

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Dr. Serino, April 3

There’s another refrigerated truck outside the hospital. It doesn’t feel as startling as the first. It feels inevitable, now. Of course there would be two. The fancy ones have shelving so that the bodies don’t have to be piled on top of each other.

Is this next?

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Dr. Serino, April 3

There’s another refrigerated truck outside the hospital. It doesn’t feel as startling as the first. It feels inevitable, now. Of course there would be two. The fancy ones have shelving so that the bodies don’t have to be piled on top of each other.

Alarmist!...... Happens every flu season.........NOT.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Shocking that this is where we are.   

Not at all. It is the logical progression of the crisis we face, at a time when Foxy News bullshitters are in charge. You can’t fight a pandemic from an alternate reality. 

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

What exactly do you do?

Anyway, This is useful

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-10/coronavirus-data-australia-growth-factor-covid-19/12132478

The one COVID-19 number to watch

By Simon Elvery, Ben Spraggon and Matt Martino

Story Lab

Updated 10 Apr 2020, 7:07am
Published 10 Apr 2020, 3:03am

The vast array of data on the coronavirus pandemic can feel overwhelming, as we all try to make sense of how fast COVID-19 is spreading around the world and the relentless daily count of new cases and deaths.

Helpfully, there’s one number that can tell us quickly and clearly whether the coronavirus outbreak is getting better or worse. It’s called the growth factor.

The main thing to understand is this — to be sure we’re staying on top of the outbreak, we must keep this number below one.

And here is how the growth factor for Australia’s outbreak currently looks.

Australia's current
growth factor is
Mar 6
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.39 Mar 12th
LOWEST
0.83 Apr 6th

What is ‘growth factor’ and why is it important?

Put simply, the growth factor measures how fast the number of new cases is going up or down.

And here’s the key point:

• If the growth factor is above one, the number of new cases each day is going up. If it stays consistently above one, that means exponential growth.
  • If it’s below one, we’re getting the outbreak under control.

Calculating the daily growth factor is as simple as taking today’s new reported cases and dividing it by yesterday’s new cases. Because these numbers can be a little volatile, we’re using a five-day moving average of new cases for our calculations.

Of course, the growth factor will change over time. Even though Australia’s current growth factor is below one — meaning there were fewer new cases today than there were yesterday — that could change.

But for now at least, things are headed in the right direction.

Australia looks to be successfully flattening the curve but as public health officials keep reminding us, the fight against coronavirus is likely to be a long one.

Even if the number of people sick with COVID-19 gets quite low, the virus could start spreading quickly again without ongoing vigilance.

[Want to see how Australia’s growth factor compares to the US, the UK and other countries around the world? Keep reading, or skip ahead.]

What else should I know?

A figure like this is only ever as good as the data being collected. So when reading the growth factor, there are two extra parameters to keep in mind: community transmission and testing.

The number of coronavirus cases originating overseas is starting to decrease drastically at the moment, and there’s a risk those falling numbers could hide something more worrying — a smaller but rising number of cases caused by spread by community transmission.

Experts say the rate of that local spread may be a better indicator of just how well our physical distancing measures are working.

It’s been difficult to compile data on community transmission. So far, the data we do have only starts in April.

It shows little difference in the growth factors for imported cases and local spread. However, there are about 89 cases still ‘under investigation’, meaning their origin remains unclear.

Australia (community transmission)

current daily
growth factor:
Apr 1
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.03 Apr 4th
LOWEST
0.49 Apr 1st

Australia (imported cases)

current daily
growth factor:
Apr 1
Apr 9
HIGHEST
0.96 Apr 3rd
LOWEST
0.37 Apr 1st

Another question mark around the data is testing. We will only find cases where we look for them and much of Australia’s testing has been focused on people arriving from overseas and their close contacts.

Even though Australia has tested a high proportion of the population by international standards, Catherine Bennett, the chair of epidemiology at Deakin University, says our high testing rate and low positive rate are a “red herring”.

“If you’re not testing the increasing number of people with symptoms in the community, then you only see what you test for.

“If we can look at that in more detail as we do the breakdown [of community transmission] within Australia I think that’s going to be helpful, because I do think it ties to the lockdown. The lockdown is all about community acquisition, not about the boats that came in four weeks ago.”

The unknown number of undetected cases currently in the community may prove crucial to keeping Australia’s outbreak manageable.

Several states have announced they’re now expanding testing criteria to include a broader cross-section of the community. So it’s important to remember that any rise in the growth factor could be, in part, a result of more widespread testing.

“As we expand our testing we expect it to go up but that doesn’t necessarily mean community cases are going up, it means that testing is broadening to capture them,” Professor Bennett said.

Finally, it’s worth remembering that even though the growth factor is a great litmus test for how well we’re keeping Australia’s outbreak in check, other numbers are important too.

How are other countries doing?

Now that we understand what growth factor means, it can also provide a useful insight into outbreaks around the world — and how different countries are faring in their efforts to bring coronavirus under control.

The following charts focus on the countries with the largest overall coronavirus outbreaks around the world, as well as some of Australia’s nearest neighbours.

Austria

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.79 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.79 Apr 4th

Belgium

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.48 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.71 Mar 12th

Brazil

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
3.36 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.82 Mar 18th

Canada

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.05 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.91 Apr 4th

China

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.17 Feb 13th
LOWEST
0.47 Jan 8th

France

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.96 Feb 29th
LOWEST
0.57 Apr 9th

Germany

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.06 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.90 Apr 7th

Indonesia

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.10 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.97 Apr 4th

Iran

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.79 Feb 27th
LOWEST
0.92 Apr 9th

Ireland

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.84 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.88 Mar 15th

Israel

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.27 Mar 25th
LOWEST
0.76 Mar 11th

Italy

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.58 Feb 23rd
LOWEST
0.84 Mar 12th

Netherlands

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.05 Mar 5th
LOWEST
0.84 Mar 12th

New Zealand

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.05 Mar 22nd
LOWEST
0.85 Apr 9th

Norway

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.10 Mar 10th
LOWEST
0.73 Mar 18th

Portugal

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.10 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.85 Mar 12th

Russia

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.63 Mar 16th
LOWEST
1.02 Mar 24th

South Korea

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.30 Feb 22nd
LOWEST
0.71 Mar 12th

Spain

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.57 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.91 Apr 6th

Sweden

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.93 Mar 5th
LOWEST
0.79 Mar 18th

Switzerland

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.09 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.87 Apr 6th

Turkey

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.02 Mar 18th
LOWEST
1.01 Apr 1st

United Kingdom

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
2.10 Mar 13th
LOWEST
0.85 Mar 12th

United States

current daily
growth factor:
Mar 11
Apr 9
HIGHEST
1.97 Mar 19th
LOWEST
0.38 Feb 29th

As you compare those global figures, it’s even more important to factor testing regimes into your thinking. If one country is testing a lot and another is testing very little, it’s going to have a major impact on how their growth factors stack up.

About the data

• Australian case numbers are sourced from federal, state and territory health department media releases and press conferences and compiled by ABC News. For countries other than Australia, the number of cases comes from data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
  • Health authorities update their figures at different times of day, so the numbers shown do not reflect the same point in time in each jurisdiction.
  • Growth factors have been calculated using a five-day moving average of new cases.
  • Where there are fewer than five cases per day on average over the past five days, no growth factor is calculated. This is represented by a grey dotted line on the charts.
  • It’s important to note that all data in this story represents confirmed cases, which includes presumptive positive cases actually identified by authorities. The actual number of cases in each country is likely to be higher, as an unknown proportion of people with the virus would not have been tested. Therefore, the numbers’ accuracy will also vary depending on how much testing each country is doing.

Credits

• Reporter & Developer: Simon Elvery
  • Designer: Ben Spraggon
  • Additional Reporting: Matt Martino
  • Editor: Matt Liddy

O

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

He's an internet troll in a sweatshop in Albania.

Could be a truck driver who gave up his career in rocket science.

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Yeah he could leave, but isn't making his case to the folks who run the sandbox an acceptable option too?

It certainly is.  After you make your point the first time and you don't get your way, stating it again and again is whiny.

10 hours ago, Grog said:

From what we know we can agree, that both the novel corona and the flu from that chart are caused by viruses, spread by droplet and possibly smear infections, yes?

If so, that chart says that staying at home, thoroughly washing your hands, protective gear (and so on, basically the whole corona lockdown measures) also help in reducing cases of the flu. It's a side effect.

It also suggests that we may have just swapped pneumonia deaths for COVID-19 deaths, but I don't want to put the kibosh on this awesome quarantine party.

8 minutes ago, mikewof said:

swapped pneumonia deaths for COVID-19 deaths

Symptoms of COVID-19 can range from mild illness to pneumonia.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-covid-19

wtf are you on about ?

16 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Mikey

If a contagious pneumonia was also resistant to our antibiotics you’d have a fair comparison. 

If CAP had the capability of overwhelming all hospitals in America, so that we had patients dying in the streets, in homes, in the halls of hospitals, you’d have a point.

Why are you unable to recognize the impact exponential growth rates and lack of a vaccine or reliable treatment has on the impact of disease?

Ive even lost track of what you think the effect of your statistical analysis should be. Are we supposed to rush out and cure diarrhea? Care more about what you think is important than our national economy and the health of our family and friends?

Whats your point?

First, many pneumonia strains are resistant to many antibiotics. Second, increasingly, COVID-19 deaths are often now being coded as "coinfections" where the patient has both the virus (against which antibiotics are obviously useless) and the conventional strep (or other bacterial) infection, against which antibiotics are usually far more effective than no antibiotic at all.

What you wrote up there about CAP "overwhelming all hospitals in America" is nonsense, because even at this point, with all this COVID-19 drama, it still hasn't killed as many Americans as Pneumonia does in an average year, we're at about 20,000 deaths, which is still about ten thousand less than pneumonia kills by this point, and oh yeah, as shown in actual CDC data, the regular old pneumonia deaths that we get every year has "fallen off a cliff" to the point where it looks as if many of these COVID-19 pneumonia deaths may in fact be pneumonia deaths with the viral coinfection. For all we know, there was another viral coinfection there last year as well, but the CDC wasn't pulling data for that, because bacterial infection usually takes top billing, it's typically more deadly. (The average global death toll of pneumonia is about 2.5 million per year, compared to about 100,000 current COVID-19 deaths.)

This is what I was trying to explain to everyone here a couple weeks ago, before Clean decided to do his best impression of Woodrow Wilson and censor me for having an opinion with which he disagreed. Only back then, it was just me making a wild-ass guess. And now, we actually have data from the CDC.

Finally, the health of our national economy is ABSOLUTELY as important as the health of our family and friends, because there is a direct and measurable connection of a nation's wealth to the health and long-life of its inhabitants. That hospital that pays you could likely not pay you if that hospital was located in Haiti.

But the real interesting thing to me is this ... people all over the country are being told to stay out of hospitals when at all possible, and cure at home, in part it seems because of the peer-reviewed results coming out of China that suggest that the coinfections are in fact coming FROM the hospitals in many cases. And look what happens when people stay out of hospitals ...

9720357.jpg?width=600&fit=bounds

Yeah, that plummeting death line connects somewhat to the reality that medical providers are a cure to some people, but they are also the third-leading cause of accidental death in the USA, responsible for about 250,000 deaths per year, https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

So now we have COVID-19, and contrary to what you wrote about "overwhelming the hospitals" in fact, there are fewer deaths per capita than than there have ever likely been in the history of our country. Funny how actual CDC data kind of torpedoes the dramatic stories on the nightly news, huh?

21 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It also suggests that we may have just swapped pneumonia deaths for COVID-19 deaths, but I don't want to put the kibosh on this awesome quarantine party.

Mike, please name the number of times in the last 100 yrs that we've buried people in NYC parks because of pneumonia.  My mom worked at the hospital in NW Detroit that had patients on ventilators dying in hallways and assured me that had never happened in her 30yrs there due to any illness.  

And since you show so much concern for the homeless, please post pics of those you've taken into your home.  

10 hours ago, LenP said:

I was not admitting to anything, I was asking a question. Did you accuse your teachers of admitting to not knowing what  2+2 equals when they called on you in class? Could you link to a cite where the pneumonia deaths in covid-19 patients are from a co-infection?  

As I told you, I can. And I'm happy to help show you where these are, if you are incapable of using Google to look up some peer-reviewed medical papers and pre-print papers.

If you need help, I'm happy to help, but it suggests that you haven't actually tried to look yourself. A lazy consumer is a sensationalist's favorite customer, you know?

10 hours ago, shaggy said:

Mikie, though your data is impeccable (purple) as usual, your gasbaggary is getting in the way of progress..  stop.  Self quarantine from the inets for the love of god..  think of the children...  

My "purple font" data is from the CDC.

And yeah, this whole party is a lot of fun, and sometimes a person just has to play the game right? But in this case, putting a vast section of the economy on hold as the overall death rate plummets across the nation, we're playing with fire, and the game is whack.

A tenant just lost his job at a car repair shop. There business fell to nearly zero over the last couple of weeks. He lives in Denver, would you like to speak with him? Perhaps ask him how he feels about his ability to feed "the children"?

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

He's an internet troll in a sweatshop in Albania.

And here I thought St Petersburg........ damn.   Albania does make more sense- talented hipster hacker from the country.  Are there server farms out in the hinterlands of Albania?  Kind of like the ones out by Ritzville WA?  Always fun to see them at the MacDonalds looking awkward, horrified and bored.  

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sol, Hart Island has been NYC's potter's field for as long as I've been alive. There have been scenes like that for as long as I've been alive, but not photographed, because normally people don't give a rat's ass when homeless people die.

This current quarantine has been a nightmare on NYC homeless. They don't have internet connections to keep them emotionally healthy (libraries and coffee shops shut down) the hospitals avoid taking them in to avoid the "superspreaders", there is little foot and road traffic to give them access to money. And with the restaurants shut down, they don't have access to bathrooms, that they were previously guarantied access by City Code. So they're shitting in the streets.

Is the cure worse than the disease?

Aside from the COVID-19 thing though, Hart's Island is a wild place, it was originally home to a bunch of Nike Missile site, a stone's throw from NYC.

4 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Dr. Serino, April 3

And oddly, those refrigerated trucks weren't needed last year, where there were more deaths than this year? Many people who die of COVID-19 Pneumonia need refrigeration and those who die of Pneumonia can't be stored warm?

5 minutes ago, mikewof said:

And oddly, those refrigerated trucks weren't needed last year, where there were more deaths than this year? Many people who die of COVID-19 Pneumonia need refrigeration and those who die of Pneumonia can't be stored warm?

OK, I'll bite.  Did more people die in the same 4 week period last year?  If so, did 16,600 people less people die of other stuff in that period this year and Covid filled in the gap?  That would be so weird.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Not at all. It is the logical progression of the crisis we face, at a time when Foxy News bullshitters are in charge. You can’t fight a pandemic an alternate reality from an alternate reality pandemic

I fixed that for you, no charge.

24 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Mike, please name the number of times in the last 100 yrs that we've buried people in NYC parks because of pneumonia.  My mom worked at the hospital in NW Detroit that had patients on ventilators dying in hallways and assured me that had never happened in her 30yrs there due to any illness.  

And since you show so much concern for the homeless, please post pics of those you've taken into your home.  

Hart Island is home to a Potter's Field, it isn't a NYC Park.

A longtime friend is homeless in NYC, felony record, his mom lives near there, and he can't move to Denver. But I send him care packages.

13 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That certainly is fishy. There is probably some big conspiracy afoot.... involving pizza and basements. You should go investigate.

- DSK

5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

You can be the worlds premier expert on a subject, but if you are a dick on the delivery and can't put up a sensible and cogent argument, you're the problem, not your audience.

The CDC data is now in, perhaps you didn't get the memo ...

9720357.jpg?width=600&fit=bounds