Maybe We're Admiring The Wrong People

I was watching the Tally Ho video below when it hit me. 

Luke Powell, the man Leo is interviewing, compiled all the information he could find to draft plans for a Falmouth cutter.  Not an easy task.  Here's a man who obviously has a ton of knowledge, amazing skills and the intelligence to pull this off.  Yet if you put him up on stage with a billionaire, even after telling the audience of his talents, he would be largely ignored.

We spend so much time looking up to politicians, the rich, celebrities, we miss out on getting to know the really amazing people of this world.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Jules said:

We spend so much time looking up to politicians, the rich, celebrities, we miss out on getting to know the really amazing people of this world.

enough of the royal we ...............

I'm hard pressed to find any politician I look up too .

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Mid said:

enough of the royal we ...............

I'm hard pressed to find any politician I look up too .

The only people I look up to are my kids who have turned out to be well adjusted, successful, pleasant people; and people who are taller than I am.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jules said:

But when it comes to election time, politicians sure have a lot of supporters.

Define supporter..Sure, when you have to vote you choose one candidate over another..that make one a supporter.

Going to hysterical rallys make you a sheep. 

Campaign workers are exempt from the above comment, in normal countries, they are promoting and enabling an ideology.

That makes them evil acolytes :D 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Campaign workers are exempt from the above comment, in normal countries, they are promoting and enabling an ideology.

That makes them evil acolytes :D 

Or maybe, just people looking for a job.

13 hours ago, Jules said:

Luke Powell, the man Leo is interviewing, compiled all the information he could find to draft plans for a Falmouth cutter.  Not an easy task.  Here's a man who obviously has a ton of knowledge, amazing skills and the intelligence to pull this off.  Yet if you put him up on stage with a billionaire, even after telling the audience of his talents, he would be largely ignored.

All he needs is fake tits and a publicity agent.

Well said - I tend to enjoy the company of people who are actually getting their hands dirty doing something - music, motorcycles, boats, food, wine, houses, it doesn't matter *what* that something is - people who are doers are generally easier to get along with and more fun to spend time with than those who are on a perpetual hunt for offense. 

• Like 1
Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Well said - I tend to enjoy the company of people who are actually getting their hands dirty doing something - music, motorcycles, boats, food, wine, houses, it doesn't matter *what* that something is - people who are doers are generally easier to get along with and more fun to spend time with than those who are on a perpetual hunt for offense. 

To be fair to Trump, he's only pushing back.

14 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I tend to enjoy the company of people who are actually getting their hands dirty doing something

I used to compost at the side of the house.  My (it's absurd to think they were mine) trees left an abundant amount of leaves.  I turned the leaves into mulch.  The worms did the rest.  I'd sit my daughter down at her request, she'd dig in the mud.  She was always kind to the worms.  

I love her funny face when she was transitioning from a child to a woman.  The missing teeth only make it more beautiful.  Let's make beautiful memories.  The past is gone.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, hasher said:

I used to compost at the side of the house.  My (it's absurd to think they were mine) trees left an abundant amount of leaves.  I turned the leaves into mulch.  The worms did the rest.  I'd sit my daughter down at her request, she'd dig in the mud.  She was always kind to the worms.  

I love her funny face when she was transitioning from a child to a woman.  The missing teeth only make it more beautiful.  Let's make beautiful memories.  The past is gone.

Did you use that for plant bedding?    I tried the first 5 years we were in our house, but, the soil's just too thin up on top of the ridge for it to do much good. SO - we now just put what would be compost out in a pile for the critters. 

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Did you use that for plant bedding?    I tried the first 5 years we were in our house, but, the soil's just too think up on top of the ridge for it to do much good. SO - we now just put what would be compost out in a pile for the critters. 

I grew up in west Michigan.  We have muck farms.  The dark black soil is wonderful for growing anything.

In Georgia, we have red clay.  Working the land is a different thing.

In south Georgia, there is an aquifer that rates among the largest in the world.  They pump it out at an alarming rate.

I don't have answers.  I have questions.  When the well runs dry for a working family because the agra business sprays their property in the middle of the hot day?  

Perhaps a better use of resources might be appropriate.

Instant gratification is what we are programmed for - best example I can think of at the moment is Elizabeth Warren - she was popular at first, moderated her stance on several issues while researching and putting out detailed plans for everything. The left liked Bernie better because his promises were bigger, she was pilloried by Wall Street and big money for advocating the end of trickle down. Trump's base revels in his constant belittling of everyone while promising everything and delivering bullshit backed by deficit spending. Biden is seen as a safe moderate so is doing well.

We just seem to desire anyone and anything that makes us feel good.  Restoring the middle class just isn't flashy or easy. Who did Warren do best with you ask? White, educated women.   For the next four years I will settle for Biden and boring while hoping that Warren runs again in 2024.   My .02

18 hours ago, Jules said:

But when it comes to election time, politicians sure have a lot of supporters.

Something I've never understood is that cheerleader frenzy at political conventions.

They're like pre-pubescent girls seeing a boy band.

I just fail to understand how an actual adult can get that worked up over a politician on the stump.

Possibly a truly extraordinary and charismatic one like JFK or FDR or Trudeau the Greater but someone like Bush the Lesser - or even less?

How about getting into a semi-hysterical frenzy over Pence speaking?

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Jules said:

You have to get used to it, otherwise you’ll go insane.  At some point you do something you’d do enthusiastically for free, once you get over the heartbreak that might entail.  I’m getting the urge to do more sailing canoes, and I know that’s insane.

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Something I've never understood is that cheerleader frenzy at political conventions.

I just fail to understand how an actual adult can get that worked up over a politician on the stump.

Possibly a truly extraordinary and charismatic one like JFK or FDR or Trudeau the Greater but someone like Bush the Lesser - or even less?

I think some of us do. But is a very semi semi semi hysterical vein....:lol:

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Is apoplexy much different than frenzy?    We agree BTW - politics oughta be boring - not a rah rah session. 

7 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

We agree BTW - politics oughta be boring - not a rah rah session. 

Then you must be a great admirer of Canada, eh? :D

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Jules said:

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

To be fair to Trump, he's only pushing back.

so you were not including Trump in this discussion about famous, rich celebrities and politicians ?

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

<SNIP vapid reply not even tangentially related to the topic>

2 hours ago, Amati said:

I’m getting the urge to do more sailing canoes, and I know that’s insane.

I have been binging on the Tally Ho series, wishing I were younger and found about it earlier.  It would be a perfect getaway from the Florida heat, if he would let me.  Probably equally insane.

The videos on lofting had me glued to the TV.  It was so interesting seeing the plans go full size.  I hardly blinked! 

I had earlier traced over the plans for the America's Cup J-boat Endeavour, in AutoCAD, and then scaled it to match the model I'm working on.  So I had a fairly good idea what he was doing.  But to see it done to full scale was very cool.