Expedition marine software, the network

I have Expedition Marine software. I need some sort of boat router to a network in the software. I want to see my Pc on my Ipad 9.7

I tried splashtop. It worked great at home. When I turned off the internet nothing. What do people use to get the PC on your Ipad while your on your boat

how are you getting instrument data into expedition on your boat?

to use an ipad as a remote display, you are at a minimum going to need a wifi network on the boat - you don't  - in general - need that wifi network to be connected to the internet

it can be done with an ad hoc network, but it's easier to just use a wifi router - even the little usb powered mini travel routers will work fine.

a problem is that some of the remote display apps want you to have an internet connection, and be logged into an account - this is their own requirement.., and is not actually necessary.

i haven't used splashtop recently, but at one time they had a non-internet mode

i mostly use ventus nav now - it doesn't display the expedition screen.., just sends the expedition numbers, which are sufficient for my use.

• Like 1

I have actisense to bring seatalk NG to USB.  For data use cell or the Iridium Go. Both I have tried on the boat yet.

I looking for a Splashtop that doesn't net internet.

Network means internet or can it be wifi within a wifi to get get info on Ipad.

What is your network.

Traveling router need an internet connection.  How do the big small boats do it.  What is Venus nav?

Thanks for time. :)

travel router does not need an internet connection

"network" means just your ipad and your laptop - maybe other things if you want to connect them

ventus nav is an app for iphone/android, that connects over wifi (no internet) with the laptop running expedition, and displays all the expedition numbers - TWA, time on starboard.., and so on  http://ventusnavigation.com/

ventus is not free.., but there is another app, by KND  - with fewer features - that is free - iDataNet   https://apps.apple.com/us/app/idatanet/id618208907?ls=1

maybe try that

but again - neither of them will display the expedition charts on your ipad - just the expedition numbers

if you want to see the whole expedition screen, you need splashtop or some other VNC app - there are many - realvnc.., tightvnc..

another option - if you have win 10 pro - is RDP built into windows 10 pro.., but you still need an app on the phone

If I understand you correctly, the problem isn't your wifi, since you have been able to connect through Splashtop Streamer/Remote already.  The problem is that Splashtop Streamer on your host requires verification via internet whenever you try to initiate a wifi connection.  No internet, no handshake, no connection.  Once the connection is made, internet connectivity is not needed ... until your tablet battery runs out ....

Splashtop do apparently have a way of making a wifi connection in the absence of an internet connection, but I have never been able to make it work in the way they say it does.  So Microsoft RDT, nothing like as good, is a substitute.  Alternatively, be in internet range, however you achieve that.

i always preferred RDP - seemed less laggy

but you need pro version of win 10 - right?

as i said, i haven't played with any VNC apps in a while.., and i remember the headache with the splashtop app requiring login

but there must be a vnc app that isn't requiring it...

29 minutes ago, us7070 said:

i always preferred RDP - seemed less laggy

but you need pro version of win 10 - right?

as i said, i haven't played with any VNC apps in a while.., and i remember the headache with the splashtop app requiring login

but there must be a vnc app that isn't requiring it...

Real VNC

• 2 weeks later...

We have a similar system

H5000 -> laptop with expedition. I use an app -  Connectify Hotspot that creates a wifi using the on the laptop as a router. Saves energy and less cables and stuff. It has been really reliable so far. Ipad connects via wifi to laptop and I use remote desktop as it seems to be less laggy 

www.connectify.me

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DuncanR said:

Give us a link and a snapshot .... how does it work differently than other apps?

Load the server software on the laptop, the viewer software on tablet. 
You need a small separate router as in the US 7070 post above so they can communicate to each other.
I am sure there is a way without the router, but still pretty simple.

https://www.realvnc.com/en/

I use a batch file on the windows (10) laptop to turn its wireless into an ad-hoc network, then connect the ipad and use the remote desktop app, it's worked fine for a couple of fastnets.

i've seen those mini routers for $10 on ebay - there are a few versions of them, but i used the older, slower one for a while, and it was fine for rdp.., i think it's the older ones that go for $10.

i'm guessing that the OP is not much into pc networking..,  he will be happier just using a router than configuring an ad-hoc network - especially if he wants to connect more than one device. Once the laptop is on the network, expedition can be configured to send nmea over wifi, making all kinds of phone apps potentially useful.

in fact, i would venture that it's not even clear that viewing expedition on the ipad is really the best way to do what he wants to do. for basic navigation, it might be easier to create a route on expedition, and send it as a gpx file to the ipad, and navigate with inavx. if he is really in a situation where he needs the full power of expedition on deck.., then fine - go for it. but VNC is an imperfect solution at best - i probably wouldn't navigate a tricky passage through a reef with any kind of remote desktop application.

the virtual router looks cool - i looked into it a few years ago, but didn't find anything as fully developed as that.

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

With Real VNC I can put the Expedition on my Android phone and control Expedition with it.
Can you do that with Splashtop or Remote desktop? Just curios.

yes

VNC is a widely used networking protocol - both RealVNC and Splashtop use the same VNC protocol. There are others...

RDP is a networking protocol developed by Microsoft. It is built into Windows - at least the Pro versions.., e.g. Win 10 Pro. I forget whether the home versions include RDP. It accomplishes more or less the same thing as VNC.., but with slight differences that can either be annoying or great, depending on how you look at it. Some people report that RDP is less laggy than VNC when operating the laptop remotely.That has been my experience.

but as i think i said above, i have largely quit using any remote desktop applications for expedition. I mostly find it is sufficient to just get the expedition numbers to my phone or ipad, and that can easily be done without any kind of remote desktop.

8 hours ago, woodpecker said:

With Real VNC I can put the Expedition on my Android phone and control Expedition with it.
Can you do that with Splashtop or Remote desktop? Just curios.

It depends what you mean by "control".  Splashtop and RDP enable you to control Expedition (e.g. move around the chart, zoom in and out, change number boxes, go to Stripchart and back, swap from Expedition to a website etc etc etc) with a tablet .... when the tablet has a pen and you know how to work it.  I have tried the same on an iPhone with Splashtop, and you get .... a real-time image.  But changing things around as above .... not so easy.

21 hours ago, woodpecker said:

I tried using remote desktop and the problem was the active device showed the screen the other went blank and to switch manually back. I found this annoying.Maybe there is a setting for this?
With Real VNC both screens were on and active.

I think that is a feature of MS RDT ... one of the reasons I don't use it.