Class is Cancelled

Not My Real Name

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, B.J. Porter said:

So Bucknell just told us our daughter will be finishing out the 2019/2020 school year remotely. She has a week to get her crap out of the dorms before classes resume online.

Yeah.

I bet they don't cut the price...

My son is at the University of Maryland.  His Spring Break commences on Friday (since he has no Friday classes, I'll get him Thursday), and students have been told to stay home until April 10 (at the earliest).  Looks like I need to go to the grocery store.

8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I bet they don't cut the price...

Not on tuition, no.

But they better be gearing up to refund me a portion of the dorm fees and the meal plan.

Unlike most parents, I'm not just keeping my daughter at home after spring break. Unless I want her living with her grandparents (turning 79 this year) and increasing their risk, I'm probably going to have to put her up.

Given the state of international travel and our state of flux, I don't think it makes sense to bring her to NZ.

OSU is using last year’s lectures next week, after break ends.    No tuition discount.    Presumably professors will be encouraged to concentrate on research proposals.   Tests will be recorded like Skype, to prevent cheating.   

Princeton has told students not to return after Spring break. Washington, Berkeley, OSU and several other places have said that classes are going online

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Not on tuition, no.

But they better be gearing up to refund me a portion of the dorm fees and the meal plan.

Unlike most parents, I'm not just keeping my daughter at home after spring break. Unless I want her living with her grandparents (turning 79 this year) and increasing their risk, I'm probably going to have to put her up.

Given the state of international travel and our state of flux, I don't think it makes sense to bring her to NZ.

You won't see a dime of that.  Nor will I.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

My son is at the University of Maryland.  His Spring Break commences on Friday (since he has no Friday classes, I'll get him Thursday), and students have been told to stay home until April 10 (at the earliest).  Looks like I need to go to the grocery store.

I was wondering what those with live away kids are doing?

If they are in student houses or share houses? March em straight back home? :o

I'm set to graduate as a RN in less than two months (May 1). But I have 100 clinical hours to complete.  That's not a school requirement, it's a national requirement.  Clinicals for student nurses are already being canceled in Wash. State, the Bay area, and all VA facilities.  Schools are trying to splice the hours with "simulations" and labs.   I just want to finish.  I've already been exposed to TB.  Ebola?  Covid19? 

PUT ME IN COACH! 

Berkeley has no cases reported. Still, they're cancelling most in person lectures (labs are still on) and switch to Zoom or Course Capture until after spring break which would make March 30th the earliest resumption.

Class, I.e., education, is never cancelled. 

It is the only way out of this mess. 

And thank you for your contributions to my retirement !! 

And ya know, if one were to entertain the idea of a little thread drift, . . . . 

we might take this opportunity to analyze (and spout off) about the merits of 

face time from a prof as opposed to remote learning. 

Asking for a friend . . 

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

This can be a big mess. I lived off campus at school and no way would my landlord have given a crap about school closing, rent would still be due.

4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This can be a big mess. I lived off campus at school and no way would my landlord have given a crap about school closing, rent would still be due.

Fortunately mine are both living in homes owned by family of their housemates..Cheap (ish) rent and probably negotiable. 

My Dilemma is who's more likely to catch this and transmit it.

Me (60) and working in a huge public Library

My Daughter, working in a primary school 3 days a week and at Uni for two.

Or my son, Small private medical college one day per week (Ironically doing a sterilisation course) Job seeker and unemployed communist the rest :D

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

You won't see a dime of that.  Nor will I.

I can almost...almost...see a case of them saying "well, if you live off campus you wouldn't get your rent back."  Crappy argument since those chose to close the campus, but I could almost see it fly.

But the food service? The will not delivering that meal plan to my daughter, there will be no delivery of services. They should refund a portion of that, since we're only getting half a semester worth of services.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Absolutely.

It's less hassle for some, because a lot of normal people have their kids at home with them over spring break, so they just come get their crap out then stay at home.

For us, with our home on the far side of the world and our daughter looking for summer internships (so we weren't planning to bring her home at the end of theyear) it's more problematic.

4 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I can almost...almost...see a case of them saying "well, if you live off campus you wouldn't get your rent back."  Crappy argument since those chose to close the campus, but I could almost see it fly.

But the food service? The will not delivering that meal plan to my daughter, there will be no delivery of services. They should refund a portion of that, since we're only getting half a semester worth of services.

I think refunds of student fees and residence fees etc are going to be the least of our worries.

There must be kids all over the world in Halls of Residence too far away from home to get home and with casual jobs that may disappear, no money to get alternate accommodation if the Halls close.

Even then there's the issue of actually not being able to travel or even go back home if they are quarantined...or if their parents are quarantined. 

How many of our 18+ kids have any clue about how to prevent cross infection inside their own home?

Lucky they mostly seem not to be getting too sick in that age group, but I'm going to worry myself sick anyway.

8 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I think refunds of student fees and residence fees etc are going to be the least of our worries.

There must be kids all over the world in Halls of Residence too far away from home to get home and with casual jobs that may disappear, no money to get alternate accommodation if the Halls close.

Even then there's the issue of actually not being able to travel or even go back home if they are quarantined...or if their parents are quarantined. 

How many of our 18+ kids have any clue about how to prevent cross infection inside their own home?

Lucky they mostly seem not to be getting too sick in that age group, but I'm going to worry myself sick anyway.

In our daughter's case, she has work study jobs - she's a TA in a biology class and she works in the library - that she will no longer be doing.

We've got safety net infrastructure, because we're Americans; she's not a foreign student even though her home is abroad. There are foreign students risking stranding who also won't be allowed to work, I imagine. She's got grandparents, aunts & uncles, and a brother she can stay with.

Then there's next semester's Study Abroad application for Tours, France to consider. Like my daughter needs to go abroad...but she's applied and wants to go. That whole thing may be down the bowl.

Public schools in westchester county are preparing on closing. A number of them have made sure every kid has a working tablet/laptop. They are already planning assignments and at least two have 2 hr delays today for kids so staff can plan. 

6 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't disagree with the premise.  But, I have no faith that money will make it back to us.

5 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I don't disagree with the premise.  But, I have no faith that money will make it back to us.

I haven't actually paid for 100% of semester two's food plan yet...the money was literally going out this week. But...now I want to know.

6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Your university is WAY cheaper than ours. The fees are...larger.

This from my kid's school web site. Totals price before financial aid.image.png.58137bd455ec178fdefc046b4a896c72.png

So it's over $14,000 for room & board. We're losing half a semester of that, so ~$3,500.

This also does not include a couple of $thousand for mandatory health insurance, which we had to provide since we don't have an overpriced US family healthcare plan since we're not in the US.

We're waiting to hear things like how they will execute the "remote learning" option, because they don't really have infrastructure in place for that that we're aware of. Will it be live streamed lectures, so you have to "check in" at set times? I feel for the west coast kids with 8AM lectures...

Or lectures you can download and watch at your leisure? What about small seminars?

It's going to be an interesting last couple of months. The ones I feel for aren't the ones like my daughter. The seniors are the ones taking it in the shorts here, losing out on all their graduation/end of year stuff with their besties for the last four years.

20 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The ones I feel for aren't the ones like my daughter. The seniors are the ones taking it in the shorts here, losing out on all their graduation/end of year stuff with their besties for the last four years.

That was my first thought as well.  The last month before graduating was my favorite memory from my undergrad.  Everyone sort of put it on cruise control, including the profs, and it was about savoring the end of the process and the bonds you've made.  I didn't bother with commencement but those days were very special.  

I had a couple of on-line classes in my latest Masters and didn't like them but maybe it's just that I am old school.  When you are in class every other day, it's hard to get too far behind.  The remote thing requires more discipline than I usually demonstrate.

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

That was my first thought as well.  The last month before graduating was my favorite memory from my undergrad.  Everyone sort of put it on cruise control, including the profs, and it was about savoring the end of the process and the bonds you've made.  I didn't bother with commencement but those days were very special.  

I had a couple of on-line classes in my latest Masters and didn't like them but maybe it's just that I am old school.  When you are in class every other day, it's hard to get too far behind.  The remote thing requires more discipline than I usually demonstrate.

I went to graduation with the future Dr. Mrs. B.J.

graduation1988.thumb.jpg.b4af9bd88a34813424918c6b6426ef83.jpg

Unfortunately a cousin of mine that I was close to decided it would "make sense" to have her wedding the same weekend as my graduation, and I was in the wedding party. It screwed with a few things graduation weekend, but my girlfriend was a sport and came to the wedding anyway.

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I have a couple relatives with pretty serious health issues that also need help, so it isn't like we can just stay away from them :(

That's one of my conflicts with this. My parents are like "sure, send her here as long as you need which is great." When I told my dad my concerns - that older people are more at risk, he was like "Yeah, but that's only if your over 80 and not well. We're pretty healthy."

At which point I reminded him the COVID-19 virus isn't going to check his ID to see that he's only 78 then leave him alone... Mom turns 79 today.

45 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

We're waiting to hear things like how they will execute the "remote learning" option because they don't really have an infrastructure in place for that that we're aware of. Will it be live-streamed lectures, so you have to "check-in" at set times? I feel for the west coast kids with 8AM lectures...

The technology has been in place for a very long time.  Many of the for-profit and distance/online learning programs have been on the leading edge of this. I believe that Bucknell has an on-line learning program already in place so you should be OK. If not, this may be the catalyst to get the old guard off their collective asses and get with the program and realize that the YouTube generation is here and this is how they want to be taught. 

Understandably you're still going to need labs and a campus presence, but do you really need to sit there and listen to some dodgy old pompous fart lecture on Keynesian economics from a syllabus they haven't changed since Carter administration?

12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

So Bucknell just told us our daughter will be finishing out the 2019/2020 school year remotely. She has a week to get her crap out of the dorms before classes resume online.

Yeah.

I hope you DO get R&B refunded - that's almost as expensive as the blessed tuition! 

10 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

I'm set to graduate as a RN in less than two months (May 1). But I have 100 clinical hours to complete.  That's not a school requirement, it's a national requirement.  Clinicals for student nurses are already being canceled in Wash. State, the Bay area, and all VA facilities.  Schools are trying to splice the hours with "simulations" and labs.   I just want to finish.  I've already been exposed to TB.  Ebola?  Covid19? 

PUT ME IN COACH! 

I hope you're able to get the hours in CH.  Is this a career change for you?   

12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Yeah.

Are you getting a refund on room and board?

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Absolutely.

It's less hassle for some, because a lot of normal people have their kids at home with them over spring break, so they just come get their crap out then stay at home.

For us, with our home on the far side of the world and our daughter looking for summer internships (so we weren't planning to bring her home at the end of theyear) it's more problematic.

The "you'd still pay rent if you lived in town" might fly IF the landlord in this case hadn't told you to vacate. 

To paraprhase what Scott Gottlieb, former head of the FDA, pointed out this morning:  In a free country such as the US, curtailing movements is really difficult and runs afoul of civil liberties.  What's not difficult is eliminating the reasons to move about such as public gatherings and special events.

We have crossed that Rubicon.

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Absolutely.

There's at least a few cases of which I'm aware where a student in question is being asked to return to a country that has travel restrictions.  I'm not even entirely sure how they get home, let alone on short notice.

13 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I feel for you. 

One time I cooked up 5 pounds of chicken, believing after my son got to it there would be some left over for me to make a chicken sandwich the next day to take to work for lunch.

Next morning I'm scouring the frig looking for the chicken.  It wasn't to be found.

5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Don't forget the toilet paper.

Too late, the Ozians bought up the world's entire supply.

Geez.  It seems everyone but me forgot about the kitchen bidet.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.53.41 AM.png

14 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Geez.  It seems everyone but me forgot about the kitchen bidet.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.53.41 AM.png

We don't have one of those in our kitchen sink.  However we do have a bidet, so I guess it's a wash.

14 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

PUT ME IN COACH! 

Shoot me a PM...  I may be able to help you with some NCLEX study stuff.

5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Your university is WAY cheaper than ours. The fees are...larger.

This from my kid's school web site. Totals price before financial aid.image.png.58137bd455ec178fdefc046b4a896c72.png

So it's over $14,000 for room & board. We're losing half a semester of that, so ~$3,500.

This also does not include a couple of $thousand for mandatory health insurance, which we had to provide since we don't have an overpriced US family healthcare plan since we're not in the US.

all found, Halls of residence at Melbourne University are somewhere between $25-40,000 PA 

It's basically for rich country kids.

Monash is around $11,000

I still think we've more to worry about that a few wasted thousand or two

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

all found, Halls of residence at Melbourne University are somewhere between $25-40,000 PA 

It's basically for rich country kids.

Monash is around $11,000

I still think we've more to worry about that a few wasted thousand or two 

That's Aussiebucks though, right? So multiply by .65 or so and you get $16,250 - $26,000 USD. Or about 1/3 the cost or a top tier private education in the U.S.

Agreed, there may be bigger issues at hand societally. But personally, I don't really wish to donate $3,500 to the school without even the benefit of a tax break.

My wife drove to Santa Cruz and back yesterday to grab our freshman daughter.  Not sure what's next.

Public schools are caught in the delicious irony of really, really needing to shut the fuck down because these delightful youths have zero concept of stop touching everything and each other... but the county superintendents (from the social distancing of their clean modern offices) are explaining to the governor that we can't shut down because so many of the families depend on the schools....

for their meals and of course child care.  

Meanwhile the kids will go home to their multi-generational homes and vector away.  

5 minutes ago, Owen said:

My wife drove to Santa Cruz and back yesterday to grab our freshman daughter.  Not sure what's next.

Public schools are caught in the delicious irony of really, really needing to shut the fuck down because these delightful youths have zero concept of stop touching everything and each other... but the county superintendents (from the social distancing of their clean modern offices) are explaining to the governor that we can't shut down because so many of the families depend on the schools....

for their meals and of course child care.  

Meanwhile the kids will go home to their multi-generational homes and vector away.  

That's the conundrum ain't it? In our modern economy where 2 parents must work, we have no ability to deal with kids at home during the day. 

Class is Cancelled - 

Not to worry, I'll hold class right here on PA. 

But yeah, you best stock your fridge - Did you hear the one about the teenager 

who ate the entirety of a standing rib roast ? 

Image result for standing rib roast

Waiting to hear if the State playoffs for HS basketball will be held.  Our boys team is looking for a 4th straight state title (they are the ONLY public school in the top 25, nationally) and our girls team is hoping to win their state title game, as well.  Mind you, the teams have excellent GPAs (boys - 3.2 and girls 3.5) at a school ranked in the top 40 STEM schools.

Fingers crossed the colleges at which the games are scheduled will permit them to occur.  It might mean they play in an empty arena.

Kids don't seem to get it, but I guess they can still effectively spread it.

Routine at work:

Mrs X:My kid is home sick

COUGH COUGH

2 days later:

Mrs X: I am not coming in tomorrow, I feel bad.

Of course now she spread whatever to the rest of us who gave it to OUR kids who gleefully spread it all around their school/daycare. Pretty soon the entire state has whatever it is :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Class is Cancelled - 

Not to worry, I'll hold class right here on PA. 

But yeah, you best stock your fridge - Did you hear the one about the teenager 

who ate the entirety of a standing rib roast ? 

Image result for standing rib roast

I saw my son eat an entire chicken in one sitting when he was a teenager.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

That's Aussiebucks though, right? So multiply by .65 or so and you get $16,250 - $26,000 USD. Or about 1/3 the cost or a top tier private education in the U.S.

Agreed, there may be bigger issues at hand societally. But personally, I don't really wish to donate $3,500 to the school without even the benefit of a tax break.

But, but, think of the hit the Endowment is taking in the market.

You should be ecstatic at the opportunity to personally support higher education.

6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

You should be ecstatic at the opportunity to personally support higher education.

You, sir, are an ass.

6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I've been personally supporting higher education with a lot of direct $$ for some time.

My only regret was that my daughter didn't choose to go to New College in FL instead of Bucknell. Not because it's 1/4 the cost. No, because we were offered in-state tuition, and I was looking forward to your apoplexy.

9 hours ago, nacradriver said:

The technology has been in place for a very long time.  Many of the for-profit and distance/online learning programs have been on the leading edge of this. I believe that Bucknell has an on-line learning program already in place so you should be OK. If not, this may be the catalyst to get the old guard off their collective asses and get with the program and realize that the YouTube generation is here and this is how they want to be taught. 

Understandably you're still going to need labs and a campus presence, but do you really need to sit there and listen to some dodgy old pompous fart lecture on Keynesian economics from a syllabus they haven't changed since Carter administration?

True - the technology and infrastructure exists. But does it exist at Bucknell, where my daughter attends.

When Will was at Southampton Solent, pretty much every lecture was recorded. They were all available online shortly aftger class. You will still supposed to attend class and they checked attendance. But the entirely of the lecture, the handouts, class notes, etc. were all available all the time to all students. All his work that got turned in was done electronically. Of course, he was in an engineering program.

Bucknell, while a fantastic school academically, has not fully embraced this sort of technology. Lectures aren't routinely recorded or broadcast, they don't have those facilities in all the classrooms. Nor do they have the portal setup to manage that stuff that I'm aware of.

They'll figure it out, they're smart people and they've probably been contingency planning for this. But it's not encouraging when my daughter has professors that insist work should be submitted on dead trees instead of electronically.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Kids don't seem to get it, but I guess they can still effectively spread it.

Routine at work:

Mrs X:My kid is home sick

COUGH COUGH

2 days later:

Mrs X: I am not coming in tomorrow, I feel bad.

Of course now she spread whatever to the rest of us who gave it to OUR kids who gleefully spread it all around their school/daycare. Pretty soon the entire state has whatever it is :rolleyes:

That's why we have paid personal leave..to stay at home and look after sick kids and not spread stuff around.

22 hours ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

My girlfriend is a Middle-School Teacher. Her school district hadn't cancelled classes as of last night.

She works for Lake Washington School District . . . that's Kirkland. I'm sure you've heard of Kirkland by now.

:mellow:

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Waiting to hear if the State playoffs for HS basketball will be held.  Our boys team is looking for a 4th straight state title (they are the ONLY public school in the top 25, nationally) and our girls team is hoping to win their state title game, as well.  Mind you, the teams have excellent GPAs (boys - 3.2 and girls 3.5) at a school ranked in the top 40 STEM schools.

Fingers crossed the colleges at which the games are scheduled will permit them to occur.  It might mean they play in an empty arena.

It’s like being on a swim team.  Swimmers are used to 10 people in the stands.  If there any stands....  sailing teams too, I suppose.  

11 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I hope you DO get R&B refunded - that's almost as expensive as the blessed tuition! 

I hope you're able to get the hours in CH.  Is this a career change for you?   

Sure is.  English teacher to RN.  We have to do 750 clinical hours during our schooling and I'm in the home stretch.   Haven't even graduated but already landed my first job interview at a hospital.  

Thank you for good thoughts

5 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Sure is.  English teacher to RN.  We have to do 750 clinical hours during our schooling and I'm in the home stretch.   Haven't even graduated but already landed my first job interview at a hospital.  

Congratulations.  After 30yrs of engineering type work, I retired and was offered a Grant to get an MA in teaching (secondary math).  Three years owed in high needs schools...not fun.  My next career will be as a mortician, my subjects will pay closer attention.  

24 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Congratulations.  After 30yrs of engineering type work, I retired and was offered a Grant to get an MA in teaching (secondary math).  Three years owed in high needs schools...not fun.  My next career will be as a mortician, my subjects will pay closer attention.  

Teaching is a rough job (but then again so is being a nurse).   it's a two year program, but it took me a long time to get through the pre-reqs.   1/3 of our  class flunked out the first year.  It looks like we'll only lose a couple more this last year. 

3 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Teaching is a rough job (but then again so is being a nurse).   it's a two year program, but it took me a long time to get through the pre-reqs.   1/3 of our  class flunked out the first year.  It looks like we'll only lose a couple more this last year. 

My mom has spent three weeks cumulatively in the past four months in a local hospital. Nurses are the best! Some better than others but hers were great and it was very stress reducing to me knowing that she had caring, attentive, and capable nurses taking care of her.  What I envy about nursing, is you can work in anytown USA.  I'd be tempted as a nurse to be a vagabond.  Hope this bug doesn't delay your graduation.  

12 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

My mom has spent three weeks cumulatively in the past four months in a local hospital. Nurses are the best! Some better than others but hers were great and it was very stress reducing to me knowing that she had caring, attentive, and capable nurses taking care of her.  What I envy about nursing, is you can work in anytown USA.  I'd be tempted as a nurse to be a vagabond.  Hope this bug doesn't delay your graduation.  

I will yield to folks with more direct knowledge on this matter.  A few years ago on the journey from my room to the cath lab I got chatting with the nurse who was driving my wheelchair.  She was a contract nurse (I forget the exact term she used).  She was a native of the South and had never experienced a northern winter (a experienced I’ve had 70 of).  So she took an assignment at our local hospital that was for 6 or 7 months.  She was weighing where she was off to next.

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

I will yield to folks with more direct knowledge on this matter.  A few years ago on the journey from my room to the cath lab I got chatting with the nurse who was driving my wheelchair.  She was a contract nurse (I forget the exact term she used).  She was a native of the South and had never experienced a northern winter (a experienced I’ve had 70 of).  So she took an assignment at our local hospital that was for 6 or 7 months.  She was weighing where she was off to next.

You lost me at cath lab...seriously, I don't want to go to the cath lab.  Really.  

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

You lost me at cath lab...seriously, I don't want to go to the cath lab.  Really.  

Been there 3 times.  Sleep through the whole thing

4 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Been there 3 times.  Sleep through the whole thing

twice. fuckers kept me awake and kept talking to me 

"how you feeling, ok?"

"No, I've got 2 docs messing around in my groin and when you go by a valve I feel like I'm free falling and about to hit the ground. How do YOU think I'm feeling?"

Then I promptly puked cause my body did a "WTF is going on? Must be food poisoning! Purge!"

Finished up with the Dr leaning his whole body into my groin to stop the bleeding.  "Oh, we got a gusher!"  

Jesus.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

twice. fuckers kept me awake and kept talking to me 

"how you feeling, ok?"

"No, I've got 2 docs messing around in my groin and when you go by a valve I feel like I'm free falling and about to hit the ground. How do YOU think I'm feeling?"

Then I promptly puked cause my body did a "WTF is going on? Must be food poisoning! Purge!"

Finished up with the Dr leaning his whole body into my groin to stop the bleeding.  "Oh, we got a gusher!"  

Jesus.

First time was to see what was going on.  I was tired a lot and the results of my stress test were not encouraging,  Doc told my wife I had two serious blockages and the crud had been in there so long it had calcified and stents weren’t going to work.

That led to a double bypass.

About a year later I was feeling punk again so my cardiologist (I love her) sent me back to the cath lab.  Found that the placement of one of the veins they took out of my leg was in a less than optimal location so the doc threw a stent into a vein that was partially clogged to improve blood flow.

3rd trip turned out to be a waste of time.  Didn’t find anything.

Doc had my meds balanced so it has been 2 years, almost 3, since the last trip.

Twice they went in through the wrist, once through the groin.

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

That's my colonoscopy experience.  I got treated better there than at home!

Done that 3x as well.  The prep is less onerous than 20 years ago, but, at least in my case, the drugs don’t get you as high.  Drat!

Just now, Danceswithoctopus said:

The update is that TODAY Lake Washington School District finally decided to cancel classes through 27 March.

Again, that's the school district in Kirkland.

Wondering if the Charter Schools are closing?

Just now, jerseyguy said:

Done that 3x as well.  The prep is less onerous than 20 years ago, but, at least in my case, the drugs don’t get you as high.  Drat!

Mine was waiting in the prep room with pretty nurses putting warmed blankets over me as I held a remote control in my hand.  They took me into the procedure room and I hope it was an Anasthesiologist that was putting a needle to my IV and I asked what is that..and then I'm back where I started, drinking oj and eating cookies.  Stayed home from work but not a big deal.  The proctologist did come in and tell me I looked good but not that good.  Gave me his card.  Fast food medicine but a nice facility.  

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Wondering if the Charter Schools are closing?

My contact is through my GF who teaches for LWSD. Seattle and Northshore already closed, and thanks to Gov. Snake's State of Emergency they won't have to make up the time at the end of the year.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Naw, Jesus will keep them safe.

Ish, Charter Schools are not Religious Schools, they are a soy-substitute for public schools.  I can only talk to Michigan, but when I was teaching, Charter Schools had to be accredited by a University (read, watchdog).  It would be hard for a layman to distinguish between a public and charter school.

2 hours ago, Amati said:
5 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

It’s like being on a swim team.  Swimmers are used to 10 people in the stands.  If there any stands....  sailing teams too, I suppose.  

Just got the call.  Empty stands.  Sad for the kids, many of whom are Seniors.  This is the moment they've worked for.  But, small potatoes, in the grand scheme.

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Ish, Charter Schools are not Religious Schools, they are a soy-substitute for public schools.  I can only talk to Michigan, but when I was teaching, Charter Schools had to be accredited by a University (read, watchdog).  It would be hard for a layman to distinguish between a public and charter school.

OK, most of our "Charter Schools" are usually called Private Schools, and most of them are religiously based. Part of that is that Canada has had a parallel Catholic school system forever, but now there are Private Schools for every religion. 

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

OK, most of our "Charter Schools" are usually called Private Schools, and most of them are religiously based. Part of that is that Canada has had a parallel Catholic school system forever, but now there are Private Schools for every religion. 

Here, they get state aid, just a little less than the public schools but they are very much.a private industry.  Same requirements as public schools in terms of accredited teachers/curriculum/testing, but we can reject special needs kids adding to the burden of public schools that do not have that luxury.  

I didn't know religion had landed in Canada.  Congratulations, or not.  

46 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Except the charter schools can reject the feebs and crips that the public school has to support.

- DSK

21 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Here, they get state aid, just a little less than the public schools but they are very much.a private industry.  Same requirements as public schools in terms of accredited teachers/curriculum/testing, but we can reject special needs kids adding to the burden of public schools that do not have that luxury.  

I didn't know religion had landed in Canada.  Congratulations, or not.  

Religion is huge in Canada. Lots of Eastern European/Ukrainian/Germanic import in the west, lots of French Catholic in the east, Irish/Scottish far east, Free Thinkers/lunatics far west.

My daughter is going to school in eSwatini (yes that is the correct spelling - the king said so. Like an iPhone).

She is 18 and doing a 2 year International Baccalaureate programming there (1 year high school + 1 year with some courses at university level). It's a good school, Nelson Mandela's kids went there when higher education for black kids in South Africa was non existent.

She was supposed to come back to Canada for a 1 month term break in April. Wouldn't surprise us if her school says "if you leave you can't come back". Medical care is very rudimentary there so its a big risk getting an infected kid back there.

And to make matters worse she is on a drug that isn't available in that country. Maybe in S.Africa. Courier companies don't seem to like shipping drugs to other countries. Sigh.

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

My daughter is going to school in eSwatini (yes that is the correct spelling - the king said so. Like an iPhone).

She is 18 and doing a 2 year International Baccalaureate programming there (1 year high school + 1 year with some courses at university level). It's a good school, Nelson Mandela's kids went there when higher education for black kids in South Africa was non existent.

She was supposed to come back to Canada for a 1 month term break in April. Wouldn't surprise us if her school says "if you leave you can't come back". Medical care is very rudimentary there so its a big risk getting an infected kid back there.

And to make matters worse she is on a drug that isn't available in that country. Maybe in S.Africa. Courier companies don't seem to like shipping drugs to other countries. Sigh.

Good luck and best wishes for your daughter.  In truth, they're probably right - they are at more risk of her bringing the virus back to them than her health risk just staying there (assuming you can get her a supply of her medication).  But that doesn't make it any easier.

12 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

Thank you for good thoughts

I applaud anyone who has the gumption to take on something like this later in life - I have two personal friends who've done something similar.  One of my guard-bum buddies was a full-time POL guy ( ran the fuel farm for the F16s) about 10-15 years ago, the military needed more medical folks, so as a Tech Sergeant, 38 years old, w/15 years of service, he went back to school, got his masters to become a NP (??)  - and became commissioned, with a 10 year additional service commitment.   Another friend is the mother of 13 kids, the youngest of which is 14, just finished her Bachelor's degree at 56 years old, and is starting a PA program at Shenandoah this fall, because she wanted to obtain that for herself, and do something to keep helping once she was done raising kids.  Her husband's a trauma surgeon, so they don't need the $$, she just wanted to do something to give back.    You doing that too?   Gotta think that there's similar motivations and I applaud you for taking it on.  

18 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I saw my son eat an entire chicken in one sitting when he was a teenager.

My son’s appetite never got out of hand. My daughter on the other hand, wow that kid could pack it away. There is a bar in town that sells 1/2 pound burgers. My then 14 year old daughter would ask for an extra patty plus cheese and bacon. The newish waitresses would try to talk her out if it and 10 minutes later would walk by all ready to say “I told you so” only to be greeted with an empty plate. At the time my daughter was 5’5” and a size 0.  

My daughter’s school cancelled classes for 2 days and going forward will be online. That’s not a big deal, she only has a few weeks left and everything going forward are projects. Her classes are so small the Prof could probably just Skype the material they need.

My worry is that my girl in just 5 years after graduating HS is getting 2 degrees next month. A bachelors in electrical engineering and a masters in biomedical engineering, and there might not be a ceremony for me to go to. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s a small thing. But I want to see her walk. 

She lives off campus and is a GA working at a local Aviation/engineering charter HS. So she is stuck there until the HS decides what it’s going  to do.

Her university announced that they will prorate the dorm and meal plans and credit those affected. 

3 hours ago, hermetic said:

i would expect the first month of mlb to be cancelled as well.  maybe first two

already got email from Yankees........as season ticket holder  we have options....nothing in stone yet from MLB.  My guess is they'll play games  where they all are now fro a month or suspend games until May  either way, I'll get a refund for games not played at home that I have tix to

At least 6 conferences have cancelled their conference championship tournaments.  Gives new meaning to March Madness.

On another note, just returned from my weekly grocery shopping trip.  Store was quite empty of people.  No panic buying that I could see.  Cases of bottled water on sale.  Reasonable supply of TP and paper towels.  Disinfectant wipes available but those shelves were a bit bare.  Saw a couple of little old ladies in masks.

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

already got email from Yankees........as season ticket holder  we have options....nothing in stone yet from MLB.  My guess is they'll play games  where they all are now fro a month or suspend games until May  either way, I'll get a refund for games not played at home that I have tix to

<hijack>  You're a teacher and can afford MLB season tickets?  I gotta move my wife up your way!   We can't even afford more than a 6-pack of Os tickets, as awful as they are!  </hijack>  

Loudon county, VA ( Dulles Airport) schools were closed at 05:00 this am - currently planned to stay closed 'til at least 20 Mar.  Further west, school staff are being instructed to prepare for the potential of 2 weeks of curriculum delivery via distance learning. 

On 3/12/2020 at 1:30 AM, Dog said:
On 3/11/2020 at 1:02 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Yeah.

Are you getting a refund on room and board?

Got the e-mail this morning, they will be crediting back unused room and board.