I think we need this back so we can stop polluting the other threads?

Stop does not mean kill, have no more, it just means stop it from entering our general population.

Sure we have the virus in NZers returning and we have reasonably kept the virus from getting out of the quarantine centres.  But this virus is tricky and has caused something in the Pullman hotel which will have to be properly investigated and a way to stop it happening again, found.  But it also was a test of what happens if a leek occurs and that woman was an amazing example to us all about using the App and recording - just in case.  We were lucky and answered the test reasonably well, IMHO.

We have this challenge until 2023 by then it will become like influenza where you require a jab every so often and learn to live with it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s only because they did testing.  Anyway, our thoughts and prayers are with the coronavirus at this difficult time.

You sound like you want to have your cake and eat it too....  So what is the actual unemployment rate in NZ?  The only info that I can find is stating a rate of 4.2% in early May.  It has to have gott

All-clear received on the boy, although he does have some kind of virus, just not THAT one. Seems like absence of a cough is a clear and definitive - NOT Covid-19.  He's still feeling crook,

Posted Images

Apparently there is a fuss in NZ about a case? What happened?

And about 2023: If this virus turns out to be from a lab leak in China, which prominent evolutionary biologists believe (as do I), then we cannot rely on the normal, generally "more benign with time" viral evolution seen with wild types. Lab modified viruses via Gain of Function studies (which should be outlawed you fucking idiots) may get worse with time. 

@zillafreak I hope you are wrong about the lab leak but we might never know.  If it was a lab leak then the lab should have been also working on an antidote/vaccine?

Anyway we have what we have and it seems to be getting more infectious and less potent(?) which would imply it is a naturally occurring virus?  It is great that most the labs of the world are going for a vaccine, and we have learnt a lot about vaccines in the process.

The world wont go back to how it was and that might be a good thing in most cases?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

The world wont go back to how it was and that might be a good thing in most cases?

The humanity survived and came back to normal with pandemics 500 times more lethal than this one. As my old 98 years old aunt living in europe was telling me, these generation did not live the war, what are they afraid of ?

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The humanity survived and came back to normal with pandemics 500 times more lethal than this one. As my old 98 years old aunt living in europe was telling me, these generation did not live the war, what are they afraid of ?

We’re afraid of contributing to the death of a whole bunch of 98 years olds. 

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

We’re afraid of contributing to the death of a whole bunch of 98 years olds. 

A friend of mine in Hamilton, NZ is a doctor. She qualified in south africa before migrating here 20 years ago. Of her graduating med school class of 38, six have died from coronavirus in the last 12 months. All of them except one were under 50.

7 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Stop does not mean kill, have no more, it just means stop it from entering our general population.

Sure we have the virus in NZers returning and we have reasonably kept the virus from getting out of the quarantine centres.  But this virus is tricky and has caused something in the Pullman hotel which will have to be properly investigated and a way to stop it happening again, found.  But it also was a test of what happens if a leek occurs and that woman was an amazing example to us all about using the App and recording - just in case.  We were lucky and answered the test reasonably well, IMHO.

We have this challenge until 2023 by then it will become like influenza where you require a jab every so often and learn to live with it.

If you get leeks you make soup. :)

We had 1 case of community transmission in Western Australia last weekend. We were locked down for a week. Now we need to wear masks for a week. Back to normally back to normal next weekend trusting we don’t have any more cases.

@shanghaisailor  I have copied this here because it speaks the truth to me!

Ah - there's the rub. People don't trust what they don't know. Well I know a lot of people in China but I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has lost a family member to COVID and I have clients in high positions working in office buildings with more than 1,000 people working there.

You can control the media if you want - and don't think for a moment CNN, BBC or any of the rest of them are completely impartial but you cannot control what ordinary people say to other ordinary people.

And when the western social media started to throw scorn on Qingdao testing 7.5m in a week because to 2 or 3 +ve tests I ACTUALLY SPOKE to an umpire friend and colleague who was standing in a long long line in Qingdao waiting to be tested. They were clever - they tested 10 people at a time and if the result was negative - great. If it was +ve they then tested those 10 individually. Who city - no further positives. And when there was a positive test in an area in Shanghai a (western) friend who was driving past posted a video of the two whole city blocks not just in lockdown trusting to human nature not to go out but cordoned off with police and health workers preventing anyone going in or coming out.

Big gatherings - like, for example regattas - you don't attend without proof of a recent nucleic acid test - and trust me (even if you don't trust China) they are not pleasant but not as unpleasant as having to be put on a ventilator. YES I have had them.

Sometimes a dictatorship is useful especially when there are idiots who don't know, don't care or don't believe that the precautions are necessary. Remember freedom also includes the freedom to be stupid, to be selfish and to needlessly put friends, relatives and loved ones at risk OR ultimately through any of those elements just mentioned cause their severe illness, discomfort or even death.

At times like this a chunk of YOU WILL or YOU CAN'T saves a lot more lives than 'it might be a good idea if you.......'.

It is of little consequence to me whether people outside trust what is said to be happening or not, I see it first hand and hear about it first hand from people - what BBC or CNN would call "on the ground".

If China had anything like the disastrous death rates that the UK Government had allowed to happen there would be 1,400,000 dead Chinese and don't think even the Chinese government could cover that up.

Bottom line is I know I am a lot safer here than in the UK or USA and those who knock the likes of China, New Zealand, Taiwan or other countries that have thus far controlled COVID-19 are perhaps a little envious of those countries effective control of the virus infection rates.

Anyway, like i have said before discussion is useful and hopefully expands understanding.

By the Way - wasn't that a great result at Twickenham. First time we Scots have lifted the Calcutta Cup at Twickers in 37 or 38 years. I had a wee dramm, well a large dramm on that one.

SS

• Like 3
16 hours ago, zillafreak said:

Apparently there is a fuss in NZ about a case? What happened?

And about 2023: If this virus turns out to be from a lab leak in China, which prominent evolutionary biologists believe (as do I), then we cannot rely on the normal, generally "more benign with time" viral evolution seen with wild types. Lab modified viruses via Gain of Function studies (which should be outlawed you fucking idiots) may get worse with time. 

You don’t mention the Jewish space lasers that activate the 5G network that turns the virus on and off

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, toad said:

You don’t mention the Jewish space lasers that activate the 5G network that turns the virus on and off

Or the q-anon muppets who believe that on March 4th Donald Trump will once again be president, because they believe that a law enacted in 1871 secretly turned the U.S. into a corporation and did away with the American government of the founding fathers. The group also believes that President Franklin D. Roosevelt sold U.S. citizens out in 1933 when he ended the gold standard and replaced it by offering citizens as collateral to a group of shadowy foreign investors.

I’ve had COVID.  Never got a fever and never lost my sense of taste/smell.  Had periodic dull headaches, felt like I had a sinus infection for a couple days and one night I got chills and sweats.  My wife ran a slight fever and had similar symptoms than me.  My kids?  Runny noses was it. So no big deal.

Am I lucky or is what I had typical?  Who knows but me and my family were cautious.  Wore masks when we went out, didn’t congregate with people outside our home, we followed the rules and we got it anyway.  Unless you live on an island isolated from everyone else you are going to get it. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 3

I know 5 people who had it, and the youngest (in her 30s) is still suffering from exhaustion and loss of focus after 4 months. The second youngest has not regained her taste and smell yet. The others are fine and had just moderate cold symptoms. 

You'll never know what you get when you encounter this f#cker. 

8 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

You'll never know what you get when you encounter this f#cker. 

Yes.. That’s my reason for remaining extremely cautious. Hopefully the GroundHog days will end soon, given the coming vaccinations.

Thank Gawd for mRNA and for the human ingenuity it took to pull that technology off. It may well lead the way to other big health benefits too. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, WetHog said:

I’ve had COVID.  Never got a fever and never lost my sense of taste/smell.  Had periodic dull headaches, felt like I had a sinus infection for a couple days and one night I got chills and sweats.  My wife ran a slight fever and had similar symptoms than me.  My kids?  Runny noses was it. So no big deal.

Am I lucky or is what I had typical?  Who knows but me and my family were cautious.  Wore masks when we went out, didn’t congregate with people outside our home, we followed the rules and we got it anyway.  Unless you live on an island isolated from everyone else you are going to get it. 

My mate in Florida ended up in intensive care, the drs were pretty sure he was going to die.

He didnt fortunately. 

As far as the isolated island line goes, its simply not true. It takes a shit load more than that to control it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kenergy said:

My mate in Florida ended up in intensive care, the drs were pretty sure he was going to die.

He didnt fortunately. 

As far as the isolated island line goes, its simply not true. It takes a shit load more than that to control it. 

True. We know all about the isolated island bit with a porous border. 

The "when we went out" is how people get it. We do not ever "go out" in the sense ofvan indoor place or place outdoors with a crowd or where we can stay >6 feet away. No one comes into the house. Not going to get it but looking forward to vaccine.

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Do Australia and New Zealand run quarantine differently? In terms of staff guards?

Nah, they all run around rooting the bored and lonely inmates...

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

The "when we went out" is how people get it. We do not ever "go out" in the sense ofvan indoor place or place outdoors with a crowd or where we can stay >6 feet away. No one comes into the house. Not going to get it but looking forward to vaccine.

Sadly, not going out or interacting with other people, the essence of what makes us human, is the reasoning behind our lockdowns. It’s cruel but seems necessary to stop the health system from collapsing. At least that’s what we’re told and the numbers support it. 

Isolating ourselves from the North of Ireland is politically and practically not possible. 

3 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Sadly, not going out or interacting with other people, the essence of what makes us human, is the reasoning behind our lockdowns. It’s cruel but seems necessary to stop the health system from collapsing. At least that’s what we’re told and the numbers support it. 

Isolating ourselves from the North of Ireland is politically and practically not possible. 

We don't have lockdowns and what they called lockdown in US were not,  compared with other countries. We locked ourselves in, as have many others in our social class who can wfh. They can open all the bars and restaurants they want, we don't go. Offer $49 airfares, we don't fly. 

But after staying home so the Trumpers and millennial. And Gen x and whatever can go to Sturgis, Home Depot, Nails R Us, Super Bowl, etc. I want the damn vaccine they promised by March.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

We don't have lockdowns and what they called lockdown in US were not,  compared with other countries. We locked ourselves in, as have many others in our social class who can wfh. They can open all the bars and restaurants they want, we don't go. Offer $49 airfares, we don't fly. 

But after staying home so the Trumpers and millennial. And Gen x and whatever can go to Sturgis, Home Depot, Nails R Us, Super Bowl, etc. I want the damn vaccine they promised by March.

Understood and appreciate your abundance of caution. Our health experts are for the most part calling the shots (pardon the pun) and the government is listening. Meanwhile, many businesses are shut with no clear indication of when they will reopen. We too await the vaccine but it’s slow to arrive. 

Meanwhile, I have not left the house save for the occasional walk. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, toad said:

Well that should be obvious, no need to even bring that up. Duh

On 2/15/2021 at 11:46 PM, Rennmaus said:

Great article. Shows how every hole has to be plugged, fearlessly. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JJD said:

2 new community Covid cases announced today, linked to Papatoetoe high school.

Im picking they extend Level 3 lock down until 11.59pm on Friday at this point.

Given the unknown source and further infections, yes, quite likely. Or until Sunday evening, as previously they've preferred giving business some warning and lead time to relaxed level.

40 minutes ago, bob202 said:

Basically most of what you said about the vaccine is bullshit. The vaccine will effectively stop transmission by siloing the remaining cases or at-risk people away from each other enough to curb it. It can also eliminate the virus too if it's effective.

And when there is enough vaccine uptake there doesn't need to any significant preparation for new infections any more than there is for the seasonal flu in terms of healthcare measures. As for wider measures like ongoing border caution of varying types - well that is well underway and will be fine-tuned ongoing.

How you could get so much so wrong in the space of one post is fairly impressive.

***UPLIFTED FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO PREVENT FURTHER POLUTION ***

My point was that the vaccines were not 100% effective, had various unknowns, and we need to prepare to live with the virus at some level in the future. As I'm spouting bullshit, please let the following organisations know they need to update their official advice.

US CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html)

Which lasts longer, immunity after getting COVID-19 or protection from COVID-19 vaccines?

A: The protection someone gains from having an infection (called “natural immunity”) varies depending on the disease, and it varies from person to person. Because this virus is new, we don’t know how long natural immunity might last. Current evidence suggests that getting the virus again (reinfection) is uncommon in the 90 days after the first infection with the virus that causes COVID-19.

We won’t know how long immunity lasts after vaccination until we have more data on how well COVID-19 vaccines work in real-world conditions.

Experts are working to learn more about both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

What percentage of the population needs to get vaccinated to have herd immunity to COVID-19?

Experts do not yet know what percentage of people would need to get vaccinated to achieve herd immunity to COVID-19. Herd immunity means that enough people in a community are protected from getting a disease because they’ve already had the disease or they’ve been vaccinated. Herd immunity makes it hard for the disease to spread from person to person, and it even protects those who cannot be vaccinated, like newborns. The percentage of people who need to have protection in order to achieve herd immunity varies by disease. CDC and other experts are studying herd immunity and will provide more information as it is available.

If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes. Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that reinfection with COVID-19 is possible, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. If you were treated for COVID-19 symptoms with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Experts do not yet know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. The immunity someone gains from having an infection, called “natural immunity,” varies from person to person.  It is rare for someone who has had COVID-19 to get infected again. It also is uncommon for people who do get COVID-19 again to get it within 90 days of when they recovered from their first infection.  We won’t know how long immunity produced by vaccination lasts until we have more data on how well the vaccines work.

Both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are important aspects of COVID-19 that experts are working to learn more about, and CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

Do I need to wear a mask and avoid close contact with other I have gotten 2 doses of the vaccine?

Yes. Not enough information is currently available to say if or when CDC will stop recommending that people wear masks and avoid close contact with others to help prevent the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.

Experts need to understand more about the protection that COVID-19 vaccines provide in real-world conditions before making that decision. Other factors, including how many people get vaccinated and how the virus is spreading in communities, will also affect this decision. We also don’t yet know whether getting a COVID-19 vaccine will prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to other people, even if you don’t get sick yourself. CDC will continue to update this page as we learn more.

While experts learn more about the protection that COVID-19 vaccines provide under real-life conditions, it will be important for everyone to continue using all the tools available to help stop this pandemic.

US FDA: (https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-frequently-asked-questions)

Q: How long will the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine provide protection?
A: Data are not yet available to inform about the duration of protection that the vaccine will provide. 

Q: Is the the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine effective at reducing the severity of COVID-19?
A: To date, only a small number of severe cases have occurred during the study, which makes it difficult to evaluate whether the vaccine reduces the severity of COVID-19.  Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is authorized to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in individuals 16 years of age and older.

Q: If a person has received the the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, will the vaccine protect against transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from individuals who are infected despite vaccination?
A: Most vaccines that protect from viral illnesses also reduce transmission of the virus that causes the disease by those who are vaccinated. While it is hoped this will be the case, the scientific community does not yet know if the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine will reduce such transmission.

Q: How will additional data on the effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine be obtained?
A: Additional data on vaccine effectiveness will be generated from further follow-up of participants in clinical studies already underway before the EUA was issued, plus studies conducted by the manufacturer or by the U.S. government evaluating effectiveness of the vaccine as used under the EUA. 

WHO (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/covid-19-vaccines)

Will COVID-19 vaccines provide long-term protection?

It’s too early to know if COVID-19 vaccines will provide long-term protection. Additional research is needed to answer this question. However, it’s encouraging that available data suggest that most people who recover from COVID-19 develop an immune response that provides at least some period of protection against reinfection – although we’re still learning how strong this protection is, and how long it lasts.

Most COVID-19 vaccines being tested or reviewed now are using two dose regimens.

How quickly could COVID-19 vaccines stop the pandemic?

The impact of COVID-19 vaccines on the pandemic will depend on several factors.  These include factors such as the effectiveness of the vaccines; how quickly they are approved, manufactured, and delivered; and how many people get vaccinated.

Most scientists anticipate that, like most other vaccines, COVID-19 vaccines will not be 100% effective. WHO is working to help ensure that any approved vaccines are as effective as possible, so they can have the greatest impact on the pandemic.

UK NHS: (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/)

How effective is the COVID-19 vaccine?

The 1st dose of the COVID-19 vaccine should give you good protection from coronavirus. But you need to have the 2 doses of the vaccine to give you longer lasting protection.

There is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus even if you have the vaccine.

This means it is important to:

• continue to follow social distancing guidance
  • if you can, wear something that covers your nose and mouth in places where it's hard to stay away from other people
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Perhaps I’ve missed it but has the NZ government made a decision on Level 3 lockdown continuing?

I read Auckland to Level 2 and rest of NZ level 1

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/covid-19-coronavirus-auckland-to-level-2-rest-of-nz-to-level-1-despite-another-new-covid-case/N6OMWI6DLL4NLJGZ6AN7I2AHTU/

1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Thanks and do we know yet what impact that will have on the racing schedule?

At the moment there is no agreement between ACE and COR on the matter. We will see.

Just now, strider470 said:

I read Auckland to Level 2 and rest of NZ level 1

Hotlanta has much building going on.  Virus is smirus.  Don't get in the way or you will be run down.  The crash...

4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

At the moment there is no agreement between ACE and COR on the matter. We will see.

So that explains all the different posts on interpretation etc. thanks again Strider

• Like 1

I haven't seen any mention if there is a Covid plan from LR or ETNZ if there are more restrictions. It seems there was an agreement to race for the challs that was never made public. And look at the war of words. Any sea lawyers out there. 

48 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Can't wait for Tina to call Dalts an asshole for wanting to race at L2...

At least ACE will be invited to be part of the presser.

8 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Everything still on track to complete Level 3 on Saturday? Hopefully nipping this latest outbreak in the bud.

The next few days are when cases should start sprouing up, if they're going to...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Everything still on track to complete Level 3 on Saturday? Hopefully nipping this latest outbreak in the bud.

No new cases related to the current community outbreak reported so far today, but it'll be a few days like that for the call to me made to drop a level.

Like Nutta said if cases are going to pop up it'll be over the next few days. If they do I doubt we'll see any changes from the current restrictions.

Fingers crossed for no new cases.

• Like 1

Just watched the last three press conferences by Jacinda. Damn, she is good, as is the health guy. She, and everyone else, is rightfully pissed off that these school families did not all isolate themselves. Turns out one family interacted with the 19 year old who set this latest scare off. Then they did not tell the contact tracers about him, so he was missed. Then he waited till he got sick and wandered around and finally got a test and continued to wander around till came back positive and they found him. And they could not make the connection back to the school family till they finally fessed up. What a bunch of fuckups. How is it possible at this point 12 months into this pandemic that people can be so stupid and so selfish. Thought that only happened where I live.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Just watched the last three press conferences by Jacinda. Damn, she is good, as is the health guy. She, and everyone else, is rightfully pissed off that these school families did not all isolate themselves. Turns out one family interacted with the 19 year old who set this latest scare off. Then they did not tell the contact tracers about him, so he was missed. Then he waited till he got sick and wandered around and finally got a test and continued to wander around till came back positive and they found him. And they could not make the connection back to the school family till they finally fessed up. What a bunch of fuckups. How is it possible at this point 12 months into this pandemic that people can be so stupid and so selfish. Thought that only happened where I live.

I beg to differ.

The random and inconsistent ministry of health advice, the non-targeted nature of lockdowns (South island L2 lockdown, wtf?), the non-enforced isolation or monitoring of potentially infected people (too hard), and shambolic start to vaccination campaign.

Business groups are asking for actual plans around things now, as the financial impact is high. Concrete plans seem few and far between, retoric and poropganda is more the order of the day.

Whatever, let's hope this bumblefuck clears up and no new cases turn up.

2 hours ago, Nutta said:

I beg to differ.

The random and inconsistent ministry of health advice, the non-targeted nature of lockdowns (South island L2 lockdown, wtf?), the non-enforced isolation or monitoring of potentially infected people (too hard), and shambolic start to vaccination campaign.

Business groups are asking for actual plans around things now, as the financial impact is high. Concrete plans seem few and far between, retoric and poropganda is more the order of the day.

Whatever, let's hope this bumblefuck clears up and no new cases turn up.

I loved how the Heath Ministry spent 7 days trying to ring one of these people. When asked why they didn't just call around, Ashley pointed out they were getting around to doing the paperwork to send to the police so they could go and knock on the door.

More and more it looks like we got as far as we have by good luck rather than good management. Plus the adoring media that continually blows smoke up Jacinda and Ashley's ass no matter what happens.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, Kiwing said:

Is that you Cindy ...

NZs leader is not as good as you think. .. just watch the two faced bullshitter in this clip . 

She's been playing you all.. 

On 3/1/2021 at 9:01 PM, TheDragon said:

I hear ya brother, watched the national news this eve, Texas & Mississippi have shown that the stupid has no bottom in this country, now I wonder how Gov. Captain Ron will regain the crown of stupidest of all (not really wondering, I'm sure he'll make mask wearing illegal).

On 3/2/2021 at 5:33 PM, Woolfy said:

No new cases related to the current community outbreak reported so far today, but it'll be a few days like that for the call to me made to drop a level.

Like Nutta said if cases are going to pop up it'll be over the next few days. If they do I doubt we'll see any changes from the current restrictions.

Fingers crossed for no new cases.

I hope they let the 7-day L3 run out at 6am on Sunday morning as originally announced - that way, they can stop the potential super-spreading party animals from laring up in the clubs and pubs on Friday and Saturday night.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

I hear ya brother, watched the national news this eve, Texas & Mississippi have shown that the stupid has no bottom in this country, now I wonder how Gov. Captain Ron will regain the crown of stupidest of all (not really wondering, I'm sure he'll make mask wearing illegal).

They should relocate all those anti-maskers, anti-vaxers and covid-deniers to either Texas or Mississippi and save the vaccines for those who want it. I('d hate to live in one of those States knowing I could be infected by anyone at any time no matter what precautions I undertook!!

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

Depressing
But I read a good academic piece today on Ethics & Lockdowns.A good, well structured reflection on the topic, save it for the next time SAAC goes off air.
https://kiej.georgetown.edu/ethics-of-lockdown-special-issue/

I’ve no doubt that’s probably a good read but you will understand if I don’t read it until we exit this lockdown which looks like it could last 5 months :wub: :wub:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mauriciogfj said:

^^You have my sympathy Paddy

Many thanks Maurice, it’s killing us softly .... our spirit and our musicality. No sign of any easing from level 5 until April 5th at the earliest, some say May. 

I’m so enjoying the pictures from New Zealand, absolutely uplifting and delighted to be able to look forward to the final and all the excitement. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

Over here, the virus really hit the fan this week.
It is ugly out there!

Well your people suffered appallingly and truly deserve some joy. A wonderful country and a most passionate people. Much to admire. We will beat this bastard virus and rejoice. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Fucking insane 

It is insane but on the flip side the current administration labels it Neanderthal thinking, and it is, but they encourage illegal immigrants to cross the border and a lot of them have COVID.  Insane bullshit all around. 

Having said that, I got the J&J vaccine today through work.  I’ll describe any side effects I get as they present themselves as a FYI to those interested in getting a vaccine.  6 hours in I just have a sore arm.  My wife got the J&J vaccine last night through work and so far no side effects besides a sore arm. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, WetHog said:

Having said that, I got the J&J vaccine today through work.  I’ll describe any side effects I get as they present themselves as a FYI to those interested in getting a vaccine.  6 hours in I just have a sore arm.  My wife got the J&J vaccine last night through work and so far no side effects besides a sore arm. 

Thanks for that hog, I think it only got approval here in Europe the other day

On 2/28/2021 at 3:58 PM, strider470 said:

Here in Lombardy we are going back to orange level. :( We have yellow, orange and red levels, on a per region basis..

That suck, I feel for you.  Just opening up next week in stages, all the kids back at school on Monday doesn't bode well really.  June/July lockdown is our current bet.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, WetHog said:

It is insane but on the flip side the current administration labels it Neanderthal thinking, and it is, but they encourage illegal immigrants to cross the border and a lot of them have COVID.  Insane bullshit all around. 

Well done WetHog, that’s very good news indeed. It’s happening way too slowly over here but it can only get better. We’d be quicker and better armed dosing sheep for liver fluke. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mauriciogfj said:

Glad to  know Hog, enjoy impmunity.

I’ve already had COVID so I have whatever level of immunity you get from that but As my doctor said a little more doesn’t hurt. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

That suck, I feel for you.  Just opening up next week in stages, all the kids back at school on Monday doesn't bode well really.  June/July lockdown is our current bet.

It feels like it’s never ending. 

Just now, Paddywackery said:

Well done WetHog, that’s very good news indeed. It’s happening way too slowly over here but it can only get better. We’d be quicker and better armed dosing sheep for liver fluke. 

I think the J&J vaccine is going to help a lot.  I wasn’t expecting to get one for a while but once J&J was approved a lot of people I know have gotten it in the last week including my in-laws who are just under 75.  I’d imagine the same will happen in Europe and other parts of the world. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

Over here, the virus really hit the fan this week.
It is ugly out there!

I saw that,

Covid: Bolsonaro tells Brazilians to stop 'whining' as deaths top 260,000

seems the US, UK and Brazil are running in various states of denial and racing for the biggest body count.

3 minutes ago, WetHog said:

I think the J&J vaccine is going to help a lot.  I wasn’t expecting to get one for a while but once J&J was approved a lot of people I know have gotten it in the last week including my in-laws who are just under 75.  I’d imagine the same will happen in Europe and other parts of the world. 

It will because it doesn’t need fancy fridges and one dose gets you on the horse. We’ll probably be drowning in vaccines by the summer but it’s taking a lifetime to get there. And the collateral damage along the way is frightening. But it’s great to hear the good news. It gives us much needed hope. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mad said:

I saw that,

seems the US, UK and Brazil are running in various states of denial and racing for the biggest body count.

What a moron Bolsonaro. 

28 minutes ago, WetHog said:

7 hours after the J&J vaccine and add drowsiness to sore arm for side effects. 

That’s interesting. I haven’t heard of anyone who has had the J&J vaccine. 

45 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

That’s interesting. I haven’t heard of anyone who has had the J&J vaccine. 

That's because of the thing that happens after 20hrs that no one is to speak of...

8)

Just now, Nutta said:

That's because of the thing that happens after 20hrs that no one is to speak of...

8)

That’s right, I shouldn’t have mentioned it ;)