Cruising Quarantine Issues RE Covid-19

6 hours ago, European Bloke said:

The problem we always have in the UK is that we like to gold plate regulation.

The Germans make up the rules. The French and Italians ignore them, and we go nuts over the top with implementing and following them.

I have heard the old joke is: 

In heaven:

• Your cook is Italian.

• Your mechanic is German.

• Your policeman is English.

• Your lover is French.

• It is all organized by the Swiss.

In hell:

• Your cook is English.

• Your mechanic is French.

• Your policeman is German.

• Your lover is Swiss.

• It is all organized by the Italians.

I wonder where you Europeans would put the United States in this joke?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, socalrider said:

San Diego Bay is totally shut down, even to paddle boards, though you can go to the marinas.  There are talks in progress to allow the beaches and bay to be re-opened while maintaining social distancing guidelines, maybe at the end of the month.

Catalina Island is not allowing any visitors other than residents and essential service providers through end of May at least - I've heard of people anchoring off the island but you're not supposed to go ashore.  They're going to face a tough decision - most visitors come on the ferries, which I can't see how you could operate profitably while maintaining social distancing.  They could allow cruisers, but with that you get the exposure but not enough volume to save the economy.  

I'm not sure the summer season will be much fun.  Hope I'm wrong.  

I think Hawaii will suffer similarly.  Its easy to say "Don't come here!" when you are afraid of a virus, but 90% of their economy is derived from visitors so they will face real tough choices very soon.

8 hours ago, Black Sox said:
9 hours ago, European Bloke said:

MDL, the largest UK marina operator, wrote to birth holders this week reminding them that marinas were closed.  It include the residential marinas where people have house with their own birth.  They noted this included rowing and SUP for exercise. They attached a notice to mariners issued by Southampton harbor master, backed by the RYA and Hampshire police strong that recreational boating was a no no.

I don't know if this only went to birth holders in the Southampton area, I expect it did.

I was surprised to see a notice to mariners.

I'm sure English is your first language so your spelling mistake entertained me. Thank you for the smile. 

It's immeasurably better than being an afterbirth holder.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, European Bloke said:

The problem we always have in the UK is that we like to gold plate regulation.

The Germans make up the rules. The French and Italians ignore them, and we go nuts over the top with implementing and following them.

I mean, the UK also royally fucked up initially and is now behind the curve pretty badly so they have to go even more extreme on the rules now, if not for practical reasons then to save face for everyone involved.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, alctel said:

I mean, the UK also royally fucked up initially and is now behind the curve pretty badly so they have to go even more extreme on the rules now, if not for practical reasons then to save face for everyone involved.

Yes, our PM believed that the whole thing was overblown, and everyone should just toughen up and crack on. Right up until the point where he ended up in ICU. We're stuffed now.

I could say the same thing might happen to your man Trumpiepants, but I don't think even the virus wants to go there...

4 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Yes, our PM believed that the whole thing was overblown, and everyone should just toughen up and crack on. Right up until the point where he ended up in ICU. We're stuffed now.

I could say the same thing might happen to your man Trumpiepants, but I don't think even the virus wants to go there...

Please. The US has less than half the deaths that Europe does and that is with highly inflated counting.  Why?  Because we stopped you nutters and your Chinese friends from coming in. The only smart ones are the Swedes.  Someone too stupid to understand what is really happening  will now post something stupid in reply.  Just wait a few months when you are still going through it wave after drawn out wave and your country and economy is in tatters.  Better learn to speak Swedish.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2
2 hours ago, LMI said:

Please. The US has less than half the deaths that Europe does and that is with highly inflated counting.  Why?  Because we stopped you nutters and your Chinese friends from coming in. The only smart ones are the Swedes.  Someone too stupid to understand what is really happening  will now post something stupid in reply.  Just wait a few months when you are still going through it wave after drawn out wave and your country and economy is in tatters.  Better learn to speak Swedish.

Swedes are smart?   Their death rate is far, far higher than the other Nordic countries.   Swedes are dying at roughly 2 1/2 - 5 times the rate of their Nordic cousins.

Country / Covid-19 Deaths  / Total Population

Sweden  - 2152    8,925,000  
Norway  - 199     4,493,000
Denmark - 403     5,338,000
Finland - 172     5,169,000

Slight emergency dental issue, so we are testing the US/MX border in Nogales, AZ. 

We walked across and had our temperatures taken. Donning masks, we walked past all the street vendors. We'll pick up some tortillas on the way back.

Judging from the queue going the other way, it looks like about an hour wait.

The return took almost two hours, as there were 'puter problems with the CBP. More time than the 70 mile drive to the border and the appointment combined.

Soon, we'll drive down to San Carlos, I hope.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, Tharsheblows said:

I have heard the old joke is: 

In heaven:

• Your cook is Italian.

• Your mechanic is German.

• Your policeman is English.

• Your lover is French.

• It is all organized by the Swiss.

In hell:

• Your cook is English.

• Your mechanic is French.

• Your policeman is German.

• Your lover is Swiss.

• It is all organized by the Italians.

I wonder where you Europeans would put the United States in this joke?

Heaven:

"Your healthcare is (anywhere that has universal healthcare)"

Hell:

"Your healthcare is American."

Americans heading up the Inside Passage (Canada's west coast) this spring/summer are being let in by Canada Customs as they are "in transit" to Alaska. The border is supposed to be closed to non-essential travel but Canada is being a bit lax IMO.

Lots of small coastal communities especially First Nations villages, are really upset about it because (a) lack of local healthcare (b) potentially infecting a vulnerable population; their elders are really important to their culture and history (c) most importantly, the history of First Nations being decimated by disease in relatively recent times. Something like 60% of them died during the smallpox epidemic of 1860's.

If you feel the need to do this trip this summer, avoid all the smaller communities. Be self sufficient. Don't expect groceries and fuel to be readily available. Travel safely & cautiously so you don't need to get in contact with the Canadian CG.

If you show up at a small village you won't be welcome this year, sorry to say. In any other year, you would be a welcome visitor.

• Like 6
On 4/26/2020 at 3:20 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Heaven:

"Your healthcare is (anywhere that has universal healthcare)"

Hell:

"Your healthcare is American."

Or

In heaven:

'Your political leadership is from New Zealand'

In hell:

'Your political leadership is from the US'

• Like 1

My wife is doing a story for CNN about all the world cruisers trapped/being kicked out with nowhere to go. She chatted with Brian and Karen on Delos the other day. They are in the Bahamas and their plan for a NW passage trip this summer is shot to hell. Others are in French Polynesia who are on a 3 month visa - and are being asked to leave when it's up. Some are planning a non-stop to Australia or NZ (~5000 mile passage). There was folks in the Maldives who had no idea which country they could get into next. 

Props to OCC for helping arrange routes back to Europe for cruisers in the Atlantic and finding ports where they can stop along the way (I think mostly Europeans heading back from the Caribbean)

I'll post a link when it's up.

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

My wife is doing a story for CNN about all the world cruisers trapped/being kicked out with nowhere to go. She chatted with Brian and Karen on Delos the other day. They are in the Bahamas and their plan for a NW passage trip this summer is shot to hell. Others are in French Polynesia who are on a 3 month visa - and are being asked to leave when it's up. Some are planning a non-stop to Australia or NZ (~5000 mile passage). There was folks in the Maldives who had no idea which country they could get into next. 

Props to OCC for helping arrange routes back to Europe for cruisers in the Atlantic and finding ports where they can stop along the way (I think mostly Europeans heading back from the Caribbean)

I'll post a link when it's up.

Coming here may well be problematic. Not sure if they'd be allowed to stay unless they were Aussies or New Zealanders.

Personally I'd let them in if it was impractical to get to a port in their home country but only on condition that they park their boat somewhere secure and proceed directly from boat to quarantine for a 2 week stay. Yes I know that they've just done a passage that may be considered quarantine, tough. If it's good enough for Aussie citizens returning home I see no reason to make exceptions for visitors.

FKT

Need to Deliver a boat from Mazatlan to N. California. Called US Coast Guard twice to see what was up. Voice mails unreturned. Anyone with current knowledge? Don't really want to go up the food chain, but it's been 4 days. Tomorrow I'll likely have to push another number on the 'gethuman' choices.

45 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Need to Deliver a boat from Mazatlan to N. California. Called US Coast Guard twice to see what was up. Voice mails unreturned. Anyone with current knowledge? Don't really want to go up the food chain, but it's been 4 days. Tomorrow I'll likely have to push another number on the 'gethuman' choices.

You need to call Customs and immigration not the USCG. San Diego or Monterey. USCG may be involved but it's more ICE for getting the boat to the dock.

I actually think the countries or territories with strict quarentine might  be some of the more likely spots to get into. Will be interesting to hear more about the article.  Hawii NZ and AUS already have a process in place to with strict guidelines, it may be easier for them to process foreign yachts in relation to covid with confidence in its effectiveness than some other ports of entry that were more lax.

Article on escaping Covid-19 quarantine abroad and trying to get home.  The story of a one-armed sailor (literally singlehanded) attempting to flee the coming hurricane season in the Caribbean and sail home to Ireland...

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/12/long-journey-home-the-stranded-sailboats-in-a-race-to-beat-the-hurricanes

• Like 1

So for these islands that survive almost entirely on tourism, what's their long term plan anyway?  I doubt they have a plan, because they are not self-sufficient economically or even with food security. If their idea is to close borders for 1 to 2 years, people will be starving. And that starts its own vicious cycle - once the crime rate and unrest goes up, it'll be years before tourists feel safe enough to come back.  And it's not even hurricane season yet...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Coming here may well be problematic. Not sure if they'd be allowed to stay unless they were Aussies or New Zealanders

Yes, I think the people she was interviewing in French Polynesia were Aussies. Some Americans were planning to head to Hawaii

15 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Article on escaping Covid-19 quarantine abroad and trying to get home.  The story of a one-armed sailor (literally singlehanded) attempting to flee the coming hurricane season in the Caribbean and sail home to Ireland...

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/12/long-journey-home-the-stranded-sailboats-in-a-race-to-beat-the-hurricanes

Saw that! I should think you want some kind of hard visa in writing that you'll be admitted when you get where you are going. Even if you are a citizen or legal resident. History is littered with stories of ships turned away from one port after another in plague times -- true Flying Dutchmen, doomed to sail forever. 

6 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Saw that! I should think you want some kind of hard visa in writing that you'll be admitted when you get where you are going. Even if you are a citizen or legal resident. History is littered with stories of ships turned away from one port after another in plague times -- true Flying Dutchmen, doomed to sail forever. 

Not sure your document would be worth the paper it was written on. If people are scared now, they have no interest in your blustering and possible future legal ramblings. They'll just tell you to fuck off, then they'll make you.

• Like 1

Cruising boats are just tourists as far as most countries are concerned, allbeit rich cheep ones mostly.. 

If tourism is a major part of the national economy and they are not able to switch to something else they will probably open back up.  There is some stuff on Costa Rica talking about winter as a possibility.  If Tourism is not or has never been a big part of the economy, I would guess getting entry is going to be tough untill there is a Vaccine and the entire thing has gone way down.

3 hours ago, European Bloke said:

They'll just tell you to fuck off, then they'll make you. 

I suppose they will have spent the lockdown preparing for hurricane season, so they don't need foreign assistance when they get hit again? Oh wait...

11 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

I suppose they will have spent the lockdown preparing for hurricane season, so they don't need foreign assistance when they get hit again? Oh wait...

Fact Check: Trump Calls Puerto Rico Hurricane Response An 'Unsung ...

Trump: Puerto Rico hurricane response an 'unsung success ...

I was thinking about islands last night, when reading shockingly vague plans for how universities are planning to open in the fall.  I think they would have to become islands.  Nobody gets in or out.  Truck drivers stay in their cabs while local crews load and unload.

A lot of small towns are pretty much like that, in a leaky kind of way. But they don’t have the population density of universities.  

My wife's latest story in CNN about the plight of cruising sailors. She pitched them before the Guardian story came out and manged to interview many, many sailors for it.

Disclaimer - we're friends with Brian and Karin on Delos, having met them in Mexico, Australia, Madagascar and South Africa. They reached out to her to be included :)

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/small-boats-stuck-at-sea-covid-19/index.html

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Zonker said:

My wife's latest story in CNN about the plight of cruising sailors. She pitched them before the Guardian story came out and manged to interview many, many sailors for it.

Disclaimer - we're friends with Brian and Karin on Delos, having met them in Mexico, Australia, Madagascar and South Africa. They reached out to her to be included :)

Interesting read. We backed into good luck getting stuck here; we weren't supposed to be here now but it's the best place to be.

The big questions from here are those of extensions of visas relative to what opens when, and if it's worth going here.

Our concern is leaving here late in the season and not being able to come back to avoid cyclone season in October/November. Where to go from there? If Fiji opens...then what? We don't want to be there for cyclone season, either. American Samoa is slightly better, but still not fully safe. So that leaves sprinting to Hawaii?

The biggest thing right now is the uncertainty. We literally can't make any decisions or calls for the foreseeable future now that we're in a safe place, unless that safe place decides to push us out, which seems unlikely. New Zealand has been fantastic and compassionate so far.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Interesting read. We backed into good luck getting stuck here; we weren't supposed to be here now but it's the best place to be.

The big questions from here are those of extensions of visas relative to what opens when, and if it's worth going here.

Our concern is leaving here late in the season and not being able to come back to avoid cyclone season in October/November. Where to go from there? If Fiji opens...then what? We don't want to be there for cyclone season, either. American Samoa is slightly better, but still not fully safe. So that leaves sprinting to Hawaii?

The biggest thing right now is the uncertainty. We literally can't make any decisions or calls for the foreseeable future now that we're in a safe place, unless that safe place decides to push us out, which seems unlikely. New Zealand has been fantastic and compassionate so far.

Even we wouldn't push foreign flagged boats out ATM. Well, probably not.

I expect that Australia & NZ will open travel a fair while before we do for the rest of the world. Which helps some people but other than maybe providing a bigger pool of potential purchasers in Oz doesn't do you much good. Getting back to a US territory is even further from here. OTOH hopping across the Tasman would reset your visa status.

Shit happens. A year ago I was sitting here with my friends planning their trip to Japan and on to Alaska. Fortunately they hadn't taken the boat out of Aussie waters before this kicked in. Now we're talking about them coming back home to here for the summer sailing. After that, who knows. Maybe NZ North Island.

Things are easing a bit here. I've a visiting boat on one of my spare moorings, owner has arranged to leave it there for 6 months while he heads off interstate to work as the interstate movement restrictions have eased somewhat.

FKT

A sad story out of Australia - US sailor dies near the coast.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/sunshine-coast-missing-fisherman-yachtsman-body/12262026

Friends of an American sailor, whose body was found off the Sunshine Coast, have told how they watched his yacht edge closer to the shoreline before it ran aground at a popular tourist beach near Mooloolaba yesterday.

The 57-year-old sailor, whose identity is yet to be confirmed by police, fell from the 10-metre yacht in waters off Maroochydore, after he sailed to Australia from Hawaii via the Marshall Islands

Damn, that's sad, Zonker.

Sassafras, keep us updated on the Panama situation. I've been following BocasBreeze to get some idea of things, but not much detail. My boat is in Panamarina near Portobello and I am itching to get back to it, but no flights to Panama and little detail of what one would be required to do in terms of quarantine if one could make it there, let alone how to travel the 2.5 hours to Panamarina with no rental cars available.

Another cruising related story by my wife - this time on Indigenous communities on the Canadian west coast and how they don't want visitors.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200525-why-first-nations-communities-are-uninviting-visitors

Very moving quote:

Slett said that they want tourists, they want visitors, but later. Right now, they need to get everyone through the pandemic safely: “One of our staff members posted this on Facebook: “We are self-isolating at this time so that when we gather again, nobody is left behind.”

• Like 2
On 5/18/2020 at 12:59 PM, Zonker said:

Shit. Read and enjoyed the story; didn't notice the byline. Good job!

On 5/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, Zonker said:

Nice article by your wife.  Hope all is well.  Last I remember the daughter was away on an amazing adventure.  Hope all are safe.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Yea, you folks lucked out. Hang tight. Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Wess said:

Nice article by your wife.  Hope all is well.  Last I remember the daughter was away on an amazing adventure.  Hope all are safe.

Yea, you folks lucked out. Hang tight. Good luck.

There's not really anywhere to go at the moment, so hanging tight is our only option.

No one has any idea where to go or what will happen, most cruisers here are hunkering down for a winter in NZ in the marinas.

Last I remember the daughter was away on an amazing adventure.  Hope all are safe.

Wellll.... in late March the school in eSwatini (ex-Swaziland) was deciding what to do as countries were closing borders left and right. Initially plan was to keep kids in school, but lack of any sort of medical infrastructure in the country i.e. ventilators, ICU with 2 beds sort of thing, and they decided to close.

We got a call at 7 am our time (4 pm her time) saying the decision was made, the school bus leaves for Jo'burg airport at 6 am the next day. So she had 14 hours to pack and get out. Had to stay in a cheap but nice hotel near the Jo'burg airport for 5 days, before we got a flight; she flew through Hong Kong the day before it closed to all transit passengers. She got here and self quarantined for 14 days. One hug at the airport and then 2 m apart for the next 2 weeks was hard.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Wellll.... in late March the school in eSwatini (ex-Swaziland) was deciding what to do as countries were closing borders left and right. Initially plan was to keep kids in school, but lack of any sort of medical infrastructure in the country i.e. ventilators, ICU with 2 beds sort of thing, and they decided to close.

We got a call at 7 am our time (4 pm her time) saying the decision was made, the school bus leaves for Jo'burg airport at 6 am the next day. So she had 14 hours to pack and get out. Had to stay in a cheap but nice hotel near the Jo'burg airport for 5 days, before we got a flight; she flew through Hong Kong the day before it closed to all transit passengers. She got here and self quarantined for 14 days. One hug at the airport and then 2 m apart for the next 2 weeks was hard.

Glad to hear she is OK.  Our daughter is Navy and so always putting self in harms way so to speak. We get the angst.  Glad to hear it turned out OK.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, jamhass said:

Another well-known cruiser down with Covid

http://whereisbrickhouse.com/

Yikes, that sucks, hope Patrick can pull through but that's a long time to be on a ventilator. Groote Schuur is a worldclass hospital so he's getting the best care he can, but it is horrible for Rebecca stuck in quarantine on their boat in Hout Bay with only strangers for assistance and no access to the hospital.