Social Distancing May Not Be Enough

The New England Journal of Medicine recently published a study of the Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 (formerly called HCoV-19) - the novel coronavirus now sweeping the planet.

Here's a simplified graphic of how long this virus can survive on different surfaces
COVID19SurfaceLife.jpg.bce27162b5e5f4a200fb1fb6fe342eae.jpg

Even if we practice social distancing, everything we touch, and even the air we leave behind, has the ability to pass along the virus. 

Maybe we need to start doing what we see in China and Korea, teams of agents spraying every surface humans touch.

For the scientifically minded, here's a more detailed graphic
COVID19SurfaceLife2.thumb.jpg.544836b0bf10ceac5d6aad6d17cb1ef8.jpg

29 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Or you could wash your hands, not pick your nose and certainly not freak out.

What stood out for me was how long the virus can survive on stainless steel.  SS is in hospitals, doctor's offices, restaurants and anywhere else sanitation is critical.

Fortunately, there's quite a list of antibacterial agents on the market today - https://www.americanchemistry.com/Novel-Coronavirus-Fighting-Products-List.pdf

I have been wiping down (Lysol antibacterial wipes) pretty much everything that comes into the house. 

Box arrives from Amazon?  Open it, wipe down whatever's inside, toss the box in the garage, and wash hands. 
Groceries?  Wipe down the outer packaging, toss the plastic bags in the garage, wash hands, put groceries away.  Etc.

Manic?  Sure, could be, but... doesn't hurt anything, doesn't take much time, and if it reduces my chances (as a lifelong asthmatic) from picking up a respiratory problem, I'm in.

15 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

AND STAY THE FUCK AT HOME!

That's what we're doing. Go out minimally for essentials - all the open stores are being pretty carefully controlled and cleaned.

Otherwise, painting the kitchen and some gardening.

Interesting article in Lancet a few weeks back. Summary is contact tracing and social distancing are less likely to contain the outbreak depending on the amount of days between infection and onset of symptoms. It was from a few weeks back but still pretty interesting. You can see why efforts to contain have given way to efforts to flatten the curve to not overwhelm the health care system.....like is happening in Italy. I suppose the caveat is that this is a mathematical model with no input of real world experiential data. Still............

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30074-7/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR32dkOd2d6S-KsQIi0gY_Uu0ueijhTUOUrLczkGaPbu6Sr-HZTLGABYxJw

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's what we're doing. Go out minimally for essentials - all the open stores are being pretty carefully controlled and cleaned.

Otherwise, painting the kitchen and some gardening.

^THIS, noticed on last night's visit to the local Kroger (QFC), WAY reduced hours (was 24), one open entrance/exit with a guy wiping down the shopping carts, & teams sanitizing "touch" surfaces, I would hazard a guess that activity is even more intensive when the place is closed.

Last week had a little scare with my debit card, kept getting an error trying to order pizza, got it in my head the account might been have exhausted (I had just paid the insurance on the house, all 2700 bucks of it), dashed off to the ATM to check, all good it turned out, unless I'd ordered a 7 grand pizza!

I also have another account at a different bank but the card I have for that one was brand new & needed to be activated, so off to that ATM I go, only had 9 grand in that one.

So now I am in a bit of a pickle, how do I sanitize my hands after all this public touching? Kind of lucked out because a couple of days prior I was stuffing my wife's prescriptions under the passenger seat of the car (I always do that when I know I have more shopping ahead, don't want some junkie thinking "opiates for the taking") & what do I find? why it's a bottle of alcohol based hand sanitizer, SWEET! Now I use it after every shopping trip.

39 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Another interesting view of how the current version of what I call “relaxed social distancing” will be insufficient.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/21/coronavirus-america-needs-five-week-national-lockdown-column/2890376001/

I keep going back to all our futile efforts to eradicate the common cold, something probably just as contagious as this virus. 

So far the only way the curve has been flattened is through lockdown and teams spraying everything anyone touches.   At some point we are going to have to return to some semblance of a normal life.  When we do, the virus takes off again.  And then what?

Will those who survived only with hospitalization contract it again or will they build up an immunity?  Or is this something that is going to take a certain percent of the population no matter what we do? 

1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

I am beginning to question whether this is any more contagious or life threatening than the typical seasonal flu, of course we don't have a vaccine for it and that is concerning. Flatten the curve and spread out the cases and timeline or wham bam thank you mam get it over and move on. Only the extreme cases are in need of ventilators just as seasonal flu. The vast majority of cases are somewhere down the staircase of symptoms  

Isn't this the premise of that chart with the big spike (get it over) and the shallower curve.  There are not enough beds/ventilators.  So how do we choose who gets one and who doesn't?

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I am beginning to question whether this is any more contagious or life threatening than the typical seasonal flu, of course we don't have a vaccine for it and that is concerning. Flatten the curve and spread out the cases and timeline or wham bam thank you mam get it over and move on. Only the extreme cases are in need of ventilators just as seasonal flu. The vast majority of cases are somewhere down the staircase of symptoms  

Do you have some reason beyond not liking the answer to question the evidence? Every report I've seen says that it is both much more contagious than the the flu and much more life threatening. The Imperial College London report suggested casualties on the order of all the deaths from all causes in a full year occurring over just a matter of weeks if it runs it's natural course. That's like the flu as a firecracker is like a bomb. They do similar things but the scale is vastly different. Obviously, we can't care for that many sick people at once, the dead would pile up and nobody could get any kind of medical care until after the crisis. Also, folks might freak out over the general horror of it all and stop working anyway. I'm thinking that's more of a bummer than the seasonal flu. No?

That said, yes the current measures are unsustainable. I hope that testing, contact tracing and improved therapy, when they become available, will make it possible for most of us to go back to productive lives. They are not available now. Right now the plan is to buy some time to keep the dead from piling up in the streets.

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:
1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

I am beginning to question whether this is any more contagious or life threatening than the typical seasonal flu, 

fortunately, science

And there we have it.

Thankfully stupid isn't contagious.

No.....seems that’s not the case........

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

unfortunately it very, very much is. as evadent.

To my eyes it appears to be genetic rather than contagious.

25 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Anyone who is contemplating whether this is just another deep state hoax should think long and hard about it, and perhaps go to church and pray about it. Strength in numbers. 

Lots of laying on of hands and taking of communion will help the sense of community too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Windward said:

Isn't this the premise of that chart with the big spike (get it over) and the shallower curve.  There are not enough beds/ventilators.  So how do we choose who gets one and who doesn't?

I read a article in the Jerusalem Post which quotes a Israeli Doc working in Italy....that Doc says they now are forced to withhold ventilators from anyone over 60. 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

It's called triage - it's a well settled practice, both morally and practically.

It’s a really hard thing in real life.......really hard......and it stays with you for a long long time.

• Like 1

60?  wow...  that is horrible.

Time to make up a kit in the garage with the oxy tank and the harbor freight compressor.

10 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I read a article in the Jerusalem Post which quotes a Israeli Doc working in Italy....that Doc says they now are forced to withhold ventilators from anyone over 60. 

They've lost 45% of closed cases to date. They have some of the best hospitals in the world.

12 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I heard on the radio just now a man in a ever steepening decline over a 8 day illness, he had said his good byes. He was given the malaria cocktail and in 12 hours said other than a hint of a headache. His  fever and ALL other symptoms were gone ... 

Dr Fauci was asked that in one of the recent WH briefings. His answer was very coherent. He said there were some anecdotal reports of some good results with that drug but it’s far from a settled medical question without considerably more experiential data. The manufacturer (I forget who) donated quite a bit - it’s cheap stuff and off patent - but I’m not sure where and for what purpose it was donated. We’ll see what develops........it would be nice if it turns out to be successful even occasionally or indicated for only certain subsets of patients. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I heard on the radio just now a man in a ever steepening decline over a 8 day illness, he had said his good byes. He was given the malaria cocktail and in 12 hours said other than a hint of a headache. His  fever and ALL other symptoms were gone ... 

The way I understand antimalarials is you have to take them before-during-after you go to an area that is known for malaria and even then you need to watch the black box warnings as this family does not play well with others.  You just can't pop them once you become symptomatic and hope for the best.

7 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

That’s the best advice please stay home.

Not going to happen for me.  It’s 88 degrees out and traffic is light.  I’m biking, running or doing stairs outside everyday.  I hit Publix every other day because I have separation anxiety if I don’t go.

that is correct...the drug does nothing for treating malaria once you have it 

It's pretty fucking brutal if you don't though.  I could only handle it for a few weeks when I was living in central america.

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

We're all good because trump said he was going to do two things and sometimes three things at the SAME time. Whew.

And the really smart people are really tremendous, very tremendous people with how they are working to take care of making sure we have success, and the equipment they use is so advanced and smart and they are very tremendous!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

It’s a really hard thing in real life.......really hard......and it stays with you for a long long time.

I'm sure - deciding who lives and who falls to the side could be about as hard a decision as there is.

That comment about over 60's not getting ventilators in Italy strikes close to home around this place.

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

We're all good because trump said he was going to do two things and sometimes three things at the SAME time. Whew.

What three things?

Fuck up, Fuck off and Talk about himself?

The drug taken to prevent malaria is not used to treat malaria, I am guessing you are saying you had malaria, if you did you don’t need me to tell you how debilitating it is. I was around many many cases fortunately never had it although my dad did in WWII China- India-Burma. Nasty little parasite!

No, I never got it even though most of my 'family' in guatemala had it at some point or another. I was on prophylactic chloroquine and had to switch to mefloquine after a few days because the side effects were so nasty.   The mefloquine wrecked my insides within two months and I had to get off that too.  Went through a lot of DEET after that.

12 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

No, I never got it even though most of my 'family' in guatemala had it at some point or another. I was on prophylactic chloroquine and had to switch to mefloquine after a few days because the side effects were so nasty.   The mefloquine wrecked my insides within two months and I had to get off that too.  Went through a lot of DEET after that.

Gin & tonic worked for the Brits in the days of empire. :D

4 hours ago, Windward said:

60?  wow...  that is horrible.

Time to make up a kit in the garage with the oxy tank and the harbor freight compressor.

More like a dinghy footpump and the oxygen tank from the cutting torch. Try to stay on good terms with the spouse so the pumping doesn’t stop.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It's pretty fucking brutal if you don't though.  I could only handle it for a few weeks when I was living in central america.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of the boys I know still working over in west Africa were thought to have it and given the meds for it. It was rough they said. Never had a bought with Malaria, trying to keep it that way. 

I took chloroquine for a few months back in 1989 when I had a job in East Africa. I was young and invincible and never noticed any side effects. However, I've now got pretty bad tinnitus despite always being pretty protective of my hearing and wonder if that's why. 

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I understand that once you get malaria you have it for life - it lurks so if you get run down for whatever reason it comes back.

True?

2 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Social separation doesn't really require people to literally stay at home.  The key issue is about avoiding people, not places.  

You should educate yourself about how it lives on surfaces for extended periods.

Hit the ATM an hour after a contagious person, get your money, touch your face and bingo - you could be a lottery winner.

Stay at home except to get essentials.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I understand that once you get malaria you have it for life - it lurks so if you get run down for whatever reason it comes back.

True?

It is detectable forever, but not everyone has relapses.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, IStream said:

I took chloroquine for a few months back in 1989 when I had a job in East Africa. I was young and invincible and never noticed any side effects. However, I've now got pretty bad tinnitus despite always being pretty protective of my hearing and wonder if that's why. 

Are you married?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I took Mefloquine as a prophylactic before every Africa trip.  That stuff will flat out f*ck you up - in addition to the internal discomfort, it gave me crazy nightmares for a couple weeks.   The other guys on my team didn't have any of those side effects. That experience brought home how different individual physiological reactions can be. 

Some threads on SA require some sort of disinfectant after reading...  And social distancing online.

As of this posting, the CDC or WHO does not have clear guidelines as to how to best protect ones-self from irreparable damage from sailing forums. 

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Some threads on SA require some sort of disinfectant after reading...  And social distancing online.

As of this posting, the CDC or WHO does not have clear guidelines as to how to best protect ones-self from irreparable damage from sailing forums. 

Stay out of PA.

It's pretty simple.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You should educate yourself about how it lives on surfaces for extended periods.

Hit the ATM an hour after a contagious person, get your money, touch your face and bingo - you could be a lottery winner.

Stay at home except to get essentials.

More than aware of the latest med lit on this.  Surprised we haven't seen a run on copper bracelets.  Wasn't planning to go to an ATM.  Just drive around and see the sights.  More isolated than taking a walk around the block.  :-)

Arizona Republic reported on a couple than apparently ingested aquarium cleaner to get chloroquine.  He is dead.

20 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Anyone who is contemplating whether this is just another deep state hoax should think long and hard about it, and perhaps go to church and pray about it. Strength in numbers. 

Maybe the animals and fish and all the other life forms we're killing have been doing just that.  Sending a virus to get us is a lot easier than sending The Birds.

• Like 1

Because of the diagnostic testing delays and a few other issues we may never know the true attack rate and fatality rates.  The lack of a reliable denominator is the missing piece.  At some point we would need a paradigm like Hepatitis B where you can test for post acute antibodies (i.e. the folks who just recovered) and chronic antibodies (the folks who developed immunity after infection.)  Much of the discourse to date has focused on the acute diagnosis.  But the treatment of the patient is the same for viral pneumonia (supportive care) so the test result is more for isolation etc rather than to determine what you get as a patient.

Social isolation is not a panacea.  Unemployment correlates with poor health outcomes, and I won't be surprised to see a spike in domestic violence.

• Like 1

Lancet (a prestigious medical journal) had an autopsy report of a COVID death in China.  Histopathology resembled ARDS.  Will be interesting to see if our immune system is more friend or foe here.  Various viral infections can trigger vigorous immune mediated inflammatory or other responses that end up being the ultimate cause of death.  Sometimes a supercharged immune system is not our friend.

3 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Lancet (a prestigious medical journal) had an autopsy report of a COVID death in China.  Histopathology resembled ARDS.  Will be interesting to see if our immune system is more friend or foe here.  Various viral infections can trigger vigorous immune mediated inflammatory or other responses that end up being the ultimate cause of death.  Sometimes a supercharged immune system is not our friend.

I had the opportunity to listen in on a two hour status report call by an international Pharma Company. The reports from the folks in Italy and around the rest of the globe were sobering. There is so much we simply don't know yet as we battle on. I was encouraged by the degree to which that company is leaning into employee health, sharing information that in other settings would be closely guarded proprietary information, and shifting manufacturing and development efforts to combat the virus.

5 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I don;t know I think we would find out that you could kill this thing with a gin & tonic. Soak a rag in it and wipe!

I think I'll stick to using TP like regular folks after I go, but thanks for the tip anyway.

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:
On 3/24/2020 at 8:09 AM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I don;t know I think we would find out that you could kill this thing with a gin & tonic. Soak a rag in it and wipe!

what a waste of gin and tonic...

Unless you use Gordons or Tanquerey........

Just now, Marcjsmith said:
24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Unless you use Gordons or Tanquerey........

hey don't judge......any port in a storm... 

besides, after the second one mixed with schwepps and enough lime it all tastes the same.

:lol:

Curious to see how the newly enacted stay at home order Florida's governor put into action today was being adhered to, I checked out the live cam that overlooks the fuel and pump out dock here. https://kingfisherfleet.com/live-cam/

It's closed now but earlier I saw a line of boats waiting in line.

The dock opens tomorrow at 7:00 EST and closes at 17:30 EST.  Could be interesting.  Just make sure no boat has more than 10 people in it.  The Gov doesn't permit that.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:09 AM, bmiller said:

Or you could wash your hands, not pick your nose and certainly not freak out.

You can pick you nose, you can pick your butt................... You cannot pick your family or neighbors.

Here in New Zealand we have around 950 case with fairly detail info on each ie cases local to me:

Case 1 (RECOVERED): Male, 20s. Departed Paris on flight EY38 to Abu Dhabi on March 14, then to Sydney on flight EY450 and then to Auckland on VA0141, arriving on March 16
Case 2: Female, 40s. Departed Melbourne on flight JQ217 to Auckland on March 15
Case 3: Female, 50s. Departed UK on flight EK38 to Dubai on March 19. Departed Dubai on flight EK448 for Auckland on March 21 (recovering in Whangarei hospital as of 26/3)
Case 4: Male, 60s. Departed Los Angeles on flight NZ1 on March 23 and arrived in Auckland on March 24
Case 5: Female, 20s. Departed Dubai on flight EK448 on March 19
Case 6: Female, 20s. Departed Dubai on flight EK448 and arrived in New Zealand on March 24
Case 7: Female, 60s (probable). Travelled from the United States out of LAX on March 18 and arrived in New Zealand on March 19.
Case 8: Female, 40s
Case 9: Female, 20s. Departed Canada on flight GB615 on March 23 and arrived in New Zealand on the same date.
Case 10: Male, 50s. Departed United States and arrived in New Zealand on March 22.
Case 11: Female, 30s. No international travel.
Case 12: Female, 40s.
Case 13: Male, 50s.

People are supposed to self isolate for 14 days on arrival, but some don't. They go out and don't social distance

From other parts in NZ there are 10 significant clusters. In Auckland, around Marist school there are 60 associated cases, in Bluff, around a wedding, 55 cases, and in Matamata 54 cases.      (a pub on st paddy's night)

Really brings home the possible spread.

19 hours ago, dalenz said:

Here in New Zealand we have around 950 case with fairly detail info on each ie cases local to me:

Case 1 (RECOVERED): Male, 20s. Departed Paris on flight EY38 to Abu Dhabi on March 14, then to Sydney on flight EY450 and then to Auckland on VA0141, arriving on March 16
Case 2: Female, 40s. Departed Melbourne on flight JQ217 to Auckland on March 15
Case 3: Female, 50s. Departed UK on flight EK38 to Dubai on March 19. Departed Dubai on flight EK448 for Auckland on March 21 (recovering in Whangarei hospital as of 26/3)
Case 4: Male, 60s. Departed Los Angeles on flight NZ1 on March 23 and arrived in Auckland on March 24
Case 5: Female, 20s. Departed Dubai on flight EK448 on March 19
Case 6: Female, 20s. Departed Dubai on flight EK448 and arrived in New Zealand on March 24
Case 7: Female, 60s (probable). Travelled from the United States out of LAX on March 18 and arrived in New Zealand on March 19.
Case 8: Female, 40s
Case 9: Female, 20s. Departed Canada on flight GB615 on March 23 and arrived in New Zealand on the same date.
Case 10: Male, 50s. Departed United States and arrived in New Zealand on March 22.
Case 11: Female, 30s. No international travel.
Case 12: Female, 40s.
Case 13: Male, 50s.

People are supposed to self isolate for 14 days on arrival, but some don't. They go out and don't social distance

From other parts in NZ there are 10 significant clusters. In Auckland, around Marist school there are 60 associated cases, in Bluff, around a wedding, 55 cases, and in Matamata 54 cases.      (a pub on st paddy's night)

Really brings home the possible spread.

Take a look at Iceland's data.  They are doing tons of testing and they are estimating 50%  asymptomatic population.  Pretty much everyone else was guessing 25-30%

If half the population don't show symptoms but can spread it what does that do to control it?

23 hours ago, Jules said:

Curious to see how the newly enacted stay at home order Florida's governor put into action today was being adhered to, I checked out the live cam that overlooks the fuel and pump out dock here. https://kingfisherfleet.com/live-cam/

It's closed now but earlier I saw a line of boats waiting in line.

The dock opens tomorrow at 7:00 EST and closes at 17:30 EST.  Could be interesting.  Just make sure no boat has more than 10 people in it.  The Gov doesn't permit that.

Unless they are praying loudly to the same "lord" he believes in.

So far not a lot of cases near us in rural SE CT, but I expect that will change.  I am wearing nitrile gloves a work, when handling materials, per new company policy, and I ordered 2 masks for missus BB and me, which I expect we will be wearing soon.  Every morning I wipe disinfectant on every possible surface that people might touch in my office and outer tool crib.  The Missus is staying at home with a busted wrist, and off work for 6 weeks, but I am still working 5 1/2 days a week, at an essential manufacturer.   Co-worker turned me onto these masks that I ordered online.  They are washable and have carbon inner filters that are good for up to 4 days.  I bought spares.  The one for Missus BB has flowers and mine is a grey camouflage print.  Got to be prepared for when the shit hits the fan here, like elsewhere..

image.thumb.png.4eabdd27df7033089ac963e8b5d7f139.png

Here the whole country is in lock down.

Everybody but essential workers in self isolation.

All business other than essential such as supermarkets closed. No restaurants, takeaways, pubs,retail etc

No schools, sports, sailing etc

No travel except things like supermarket but then limits on number of customers in store and must keep 2m apart.

Its eerily quite, had to go to the chemist in our small town. only 2 cars, all stores but 2 mini supermarkets closed.

But overall it seems to be working: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/

If you go to the daily updates and click source you can see the details of testing and tracking.

14 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Unless they are praying loudly to the same "lord" he believes in.

I saw a video of some woman saying she is going to gather with her congregation whenever she wants because, "I have the blood of Jesus on my hands." 

I suppose that means she's already killed one person, so why not more?

These people are nuts and that's gonna get a lot of people killed, especially in her congregation.

46 minutes ago, Jules said:

I saw a video of some woman saying she is going to gather with her congregation whenever she wants because, "I have the blood of Jesus on my hands." 

I suppose that means she's already killed one person, so why not more?

These people are nuts and that's gonna get a lot of people killed, especially in her congregation.

Darwin........if only they could just kill themselves, but they’re out among us as well. 

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Darwin........if only they could just kill themselves, but they’re out among us as well. 

His theory too often fails when we need it.

1 hour ago, mad said:

There really needs to be a way off separating these idiots out when they turn up at the hospital!! 

They are really no different than the missionaries who spread their diseases throughout the world and practically wiped out entire cultures.  Spread the word, spread disease and death. 

It's a cult.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jules said:

We've got lots.

Maybe eliminating a lot of the more stupid among us will leave us better prepared for the next one.

Doesn't someone have a law about that?

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Maybe eliminating a lot of the more stupid among us will leave us better prepared for the next one.

If you think about all the safety laws that have been enacted to prevent the Darwin Awardees from killing themselves

- or -

About all the advances in science and medicine that have helped the Darwin Awardees live longer lives

The Intellectuals who made the world a safer and better place for Darwin Awardees have prolonged the life of countless of their kind and allowed them to procreate, increasing their numbers.

And those Darwin Awardees are now paying the generous and compassionate Intellectuals back by supporting

• Authoritarianism
  • Fascism
  • Totalitarianism
  • Dictators for life

and other forms of government and leadership the Intellectuals who saved their lives would never have thought to support or nurture.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to have a heart.

• Like 2

This is what our office is doing:  ( anonymized company and location ) 

Our Company no-contact temperature screening starts April 6

After a thorough, professional sanitization of the 4th floor and public areas, Our Office 1 will be open and operational on Monday, April 6.  While Our Company is fully maximizing telework and promoting social distancing, mission support requires certain essential Our Company employees, customers and contractors to be physically present onsite. Anyone who is sick or has been tested for the COVID-19 virus and is awaiting test results should stay home and should not enter any Our Company facility or customer location.   

In addition to heightened facility cleaning, implementation of hygienic measures and social distancing protocols, Our Company is implementing the following protective measure for the safety of all personnel: No-contact temperature screenings will be conducted by qualified health care professionals for all individuals entering Our Office 1 beginning the week of April 6, 2020.

These no-contact temperature screenings will be set up in or near the lobby of Our Office 1 while individuals arrive for their shifts. Both the 6:00 a.m. and the 3:00 p.m. shifts will be tested every business day. The details of weekend coverage are still being determined and will be communicated as they are finalized. Please allow extra time to report to your work location for temperature screening activities.

A licensed medical professional will be onsite for four continuous hours at the beginning of each shift. Individuals exhibiting signs of a fever (temperature of 100.4 or above) will not be permitted entry.

Response to elevated temperature screening

If a Our Company employee has a fever, the following protocol will occur:

·         The Our Company employee will be asked to return to their vehicle until all of those entering for that shift are scanned

·         Once all are scanned, the onsite licensed medical professional will locate the Our Company employee testing positive for a fever and will work with the individual to complete a questionnaire in accordance with CDC guidelines to confirm if additional testing is required 

·         If further testing is required, the Our Company employee will first be offered a rapid response influenza test. If he or she tests negative for influenza, a COVID-19 test will be administered, if agreed to by the Our Company employee. Directions will be given to the individual for what to do and anticipate next

·         The Our Company employee will then be asked to follow those directions and quarantine at home until the test results are provided 

·         If you are instructed to return home, contact your manager to determine appropriate courses of action in accordance with Our Company corporate communications and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention guidance 

·         For more information on the no-contact temperature screenings, reference this online video: Our Company no-contact temperature screening

·         Please note that guidance is changing on a daily basis from the federal government and it is possible that the availability of COVID-19 tests will become limited. If this is the case, the individual will be directed to a location that may be able to provide the test

If a non-Our Company employee has a fever, the following protocol will occur:

·         Non-Our Company employees exhibiting signs of a fever (temperature of 100.4 or above) will not be permitted entry and will be advised to contact their doctor

Privacy and voluntary participation

We will do all that we can to protect individual privacy. The office will not record readings and results will not be shared with other parties. As we have been doing, we will continue to notify the workforce in the immediate area of any COVID-19 positive test results that we are made aware of and will take appropriate precautions.

This no-contact testing is voluntary. However, if an individual chooses to not participate, he or she will be asked to leave the facility and return only once they are able to prove they have tested negative for COVID-19 and are fever free.

Your health is our top priority and all necessary workplace precautions are being implemented in accordance with CDC guidelines. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation as we work together to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. 

35 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

This is what our office is doing:  ( anonymized company and location ) 

Our Company no-contact temperature screening starts April 6

After a thorough, professional sanitization of the 4th floor and public areas, Our Office 1 will be open and operational on Monday, April 6.  While Our Company is fully maximizing telework and promoting social distancing, mission support requires certain essential Our Company employees, customers and contractors to be physically present onsite. Anyone who is sick or has been tested for the COVID-19 virus and is awaiting test results should stay home and should not enter any Our Company facility or customer location.   

In addition to heightened facility cleaning, implementation of hygienic measures and social distancing protocols, Our Company is implementing the following protective measure for the safety of all personnel: No-contact temperature screenings will be conducted by qualified health care professionals for all individuals entering Our Office 1 beginning the week of April 6, 2020.

These no-contact temperature screenings will be set up in or near the lobby of Our Office 1 while individuals arrive for their shifts. Both the 6:00 a.m. and the 3:00 p.m. shifts will be tested every business day. The details of weekend coverage are still being determined and will be communicated as they are finalized. Please allow extra time to report to your work location for temperature screening activities.

A licensed medical professional will be onsite for four continuous hours at the beginning of each shift. Individuals exhibiting signs of a fever (temperature of 100.4 or above) will not be permitted entry.

Response to elevated temperature screening

If a Our Company employee has a fever, the following protocol will occur:

·         The Our Company employee will be asked to return to their vehicle until all of those entering for that shift are scanned

·         Once all are scanned, the onsite licensed medical professional will locate the Our Company employee testing positive for a fever and will work with the individual to complete a questionnaire in accordance with CDC guidelines to confirm if additional testing is required 

·         If further testing is required, the Our Company employee will first be offered a rapid response influenza test. If he or she tests negative for influenza, a COVID-19 test will be administered, if agreed to by the Our Company employee. Directions will be given to the individual for what to do and anticipate next

·         The Our Company employee will then be asked to follow those directions and quarantine at home until the test results are provided 

·         If you are instructed to return home, contact your manager to determine appropriate courses of action in accordance with Our Company corporate communications and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention guidance 

·         For more information on the no-contact temperature screenings, reference this online video: Our Company no-contact temperature screening

·         Please note that guidance is changing on a daily basis from the federal government and it is possible that the availability of COVID-19 tests will become limited. If this is the case, the individual will be directed to a location that may be able to provide the test

If a non-Our Company employee has a fever, the following protocol will occur:

·         Non-Our Company employees exhibiting signs of a fever (temperature of 100.4 or above) will not be permitted entry and will be advised to contact their doctor

Privacy and voluntary participation

We will do all that we can to protect individual privacy. The office will not record readings and results will not be shared with other parties. As we have been doing, we will continue to notify the workforce in the immediate area of any COVID-19 positive test results that we are made aware of and will take appropriate precautions.

This no-contact testing is voluntary. However, if an individual chooses to not participate, he or she will be asked to leave the facility and return only once they are able to prove they have tested negative for COVID-19 and are fever free.

Your health is our top priority and all necessary workplace precautions are being implemented in accordance with CDC guidelines. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation as we work together to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. 

given the fact that people are spreading it with a 98.6 temperature this seems like an eventual route to everyone in the office eventually picking it up.  is that the intent?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

given the fact that people are spreading it with a 98.6 temperature this seems like an eventual route to everyone in the office eventually picking it up.  is that the intent?

While it's easy to snipe from the sidelines, some businesses *are* essential, and they need to have a plan to continue to manufacture, and that requires people at the facility.  The plan above is pretty sound given what we know today, and it makes the caveat that the plan may change.

We have a similar plan where I work, and I'm glad this was posted so that we can look at other businesses' best practices.  And before you ask, we make disinfectants for hospitals.  I think most reasonable folks would deem that essential, nicht wahr?