What Are You Doing During Your COVID Vacation?

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

20 minutes if it starts raining hard.

For work related stuff that has to earn its keep that is very true. Downtime is very costly. For less critical stuff - like sailboats - I get a large amount of satisfaction out of taking some gna

haven't been on covid vacay,  still at work, which is nice.  but been working on building a plank on frame star 45...  

Posted Images

Just finished painting the kitchen. When the rain stops we'll go back to gardening.

Got a bit of varnishing to finish up as well.

Plus spending an unhealthy amount of time here.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Just finished painting the kitchen. When the rain stops we'll go back to gardening.

Lucky bastard.  We haven’t had rain in over a month.  My allergies are killing me.

• Like 1

I have been working from home for years, but last year I took a promotion that required me to have a presence in our local office.  Now I am back at home and going to use this as an opportunity for not having to be in the office when not in the field.

I am actually getting more stuff done.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Riding motorcycles and  bicycles. Fishing reel maintenance. Netflix. Learning how to bake bread. 

Bread making would be good....... if there was any flour on the shelves. 

• Like 1

Working from home.

Ironically, i need to fix a mfg issue in China. 

• Like 1
Just now, Rasputin22 said:

I'll clear out my  mailbox. I don't do biological warfare...

no warfare involved. well it could involve a small skirmish against cedar strips but that's it.

Also baking a little. Making pasta as soon as there is some semolina around....although I still have some. My exercise outlets (which I did every day often for 3-4 hours) are increasingly shrinking as new closures and isolation orders emerge. Golf - not anymore. Pickleball - not anymore. Pool Swim - Not anymore. Hiking - shrinking availability as state and county parks are beginning to close. Surfing/Ocean Swim - beach access is shrinking quickly as state county and local governments close the beaches because they are favorite gathering places for the non-compliant stupid people. So.....walking in the neighborhoods is still available to us and I've done 15 miles on asphalt in last 3 days.  Other than the exercise elements brushing up on various interests photo, reading, woodworking and reading. Deep cleaning and household repairs and maintenance is also on the list.

Have been going to work as people are still burning themselves

We are required to wear masks all the time in hospital and clinic space

rinsing mouth with lots of scotch and JD when at home

I have been lucky to be able to go to work daily and much decreased clinic time makes the day better

Went fishing last Friday. See the fishing thread

took cover off boat, maybe work on this weekend

• Like 3

I started shrinking a eucalyptus slab that's been sitting on a table in the lanai.  I'm really good at making wood smaller and tools duller.

OctoTable_001.jpg.5a57d58edd67e30519bf91b172ccfc49.jpg

Really roughed out pedestal.  Feet are white oak.  No idea how this will weather but it's a COVID vacay and anything goes.

OctoTable_002.jpg.d48c650f75a7b8f93694e2d1670a9c24.jpg

The white oak post that goes in the middle

OctoTable_003.jpg.110cf4d2503638ecf65eee492a1fd7ce.jpg

The SO is out back in the blistering heat doing brightwork.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, burndoc said:

rinsing mouth with lots of scotch and JD when at home

If you kiss someone then follow it up with a shot of booze, will it kill the virus?  I think it's time to do a study.

Working from home or office. Alternating days in the office with paralegal. Organizing next season’s offshore race project. Building a new old trailer for my diesel launch. When that’s done, (soon), I’ll get back to driving to the boat ramp 350’ down the street, launching the boat, putting the dog in the boat, and enjoying my solitude on the water, as the only fat goofy redneck on the St. John’s River not doing 60 mph in a fluorescent bass boat. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Jules said:

If you kiss someone then follow it up with a shot of booze, will it kill the virus?  I think it's time to do a study.

Would like to volunteer but practice safe distancing and monogamy with wife of 25 years. But so far it has been working well with us two

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Cleaning, watching the world go to shit. The usual. 

Whatta terribelle assumptione, the COVID-19 hase notte effectted anny globalle systemes or cycelles.  Ist juste the peopel that our spiralleng downe to niew lowes.

:)

32 minutes ago, Jules said:

One can never have enough clamps.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you keep getting the varnish out it will never stop raining.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

If you keep getting the varnish out it will never stop raining.

He lives in a temperate rainforest. It never stops raining.

Me, 

Still working.

after the 15 second commute to the shop, I've got:

Emergency rudder, tiller head all lined up and glued on last night, need to laminate the right about of carbon now to hold in place. Tiller is a nice carbon windsurf mast, cut appropriately.

building some saddles for the spin and jockey poles.

got paint for this weekend, kitchen and hallways. Kitchen is a bit of a bother as the ceilings are 13' high. 

Doing the walk with wife thing, agreed, Dog likes it.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Jules said:

I started shrinking a eucalyptus slab that's been sitting on a table in the lanai.  I'm really good at making wood smaller and tools duller.

OctoTable_001.jpg.5a57d58edd67e30519bf91b172ccfc49.jpg

Really roughed out pedestal.  Feet are white oak.  No idea how this will weather but it's a COVID vacay and anything goes.

OctoTable_002.jpg.d48c650f75a7b8f93694e2d1670a9c24.jpg

Hidden in these photos is evidence that @Jules is not male...

Can anyone else find it?

Today I was cementing and perforating an oil well about a mile and a half deep. Tomorrow is pumping 10,000 gallons of 15% HCL. About 30 miles from the nearest town, 5 miles from the nearest home. Actually kind of fun, if you like this sort of thing (I do). 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Hidden in these photos is evidence that @Jules is not male...

Gloves on the work bench next to glasses? Real men don’t wear gloves when woodworking...... Epoxy/gluing maybe, but then they would be nitrile gloves, not thick fluffy leather ones.

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Gloves on the work bench next to glasses? Real men don’t wear gloves when woodworking...... Epoxy/gluing maybe, but then they would be nitrile gloves, not thick fluffy leather ones.

Nice find... I hadn’t counted that one.

4 things, we have 3

13 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

I no plentey wimpey men wearre thoise gloves, resette the criterria.                               :)

10 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Excessive clamping shows a lack of experience.....Clamps are also too clean?

If you have them, use them.  You can never have too many clamps

The clamps could be new

This one doesn’t make the evidence list

4 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Excessive clamping shows a lack of experience.....Clamps are also too clean?

Wrong!  There is no such thing as excessive clamping.  It's underclamping that ruins the work.

21 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Okay, I never worked as a woodworker, only as an electrician. but you'd be surprised how many guys I worked with on construction sites wore gloves.  Do you know why? 

On another note, back in the 70s and 80s the guys gave me shit about wearing leather gloves.  Then I asked them, "Does your wife ever complain about your rough hands?"  You guys who work with your hands know how they answered.  

• Like 2

working in my home office (detached from main house), had to move all the audio repair stuff to the side

boys home from college doing schoolwork from the house

we shelter in place and play tennis at the local mini-park which has a single tennis court every afternoon and then all eat dinner together and watch some tv for a bit

truly enjoying being all together as a family

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I halve a killere wholle wheate resipe.  Gonig try semolina tomorrowe.                     :)

Holy Crap, that's a lot of work!

I'm leaving this to the professionals 

33 minutes ago, Jules said:

Okay, I never worked as a woodworker, only as an electrician. but you'd be surprised how many guys I worked with on construction sites wore gloves.  Do you know why? 

They had read “Of Mice and Men”?

I'm doing the same stuff I normally do, but now there's way more people out and about getting in my way.

Skiing, yep more people. Fishing, yep more people. Riding bike, yep way more people. Riding moto, yep more. Going for a hike with my wife, yep way, way more people.

I just picked up a couple small jobs for one of the businesses in town. And my truck needs a clutch. So there's that.

Cooking, with lots of long-term menu planning based on the freezer and pantry supplies.  

Cleaning and organizing the basement, puttering around the yard, taking walks in the neighborhood.

Two of our 20-something children moved home when their universities closed, so that keeps it interesting.  

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Wrong!  There is no such thing as excessive clamping.  It's underclamping that ruins the work.

On another note, back in the 70s and 80s the guys gave me shit about wearing leather gloves.  Then I asked them, "Does your wife ever complain about your rough hands?"  You guys who work with your hands know how they answered.  

My girlfriend really appreciates that I have to wear nitrile gloves most days, keeps them very soft apparently...... ;)

The guys give me shit because they get shredded so quickly sailing. I’ll take the shit and keep the happy girlfriend. :P

• Like 1

Biking in a very quiet New Orleans and up on the levee. Bourbon  St  almost completely deserted  today and every day.  The River still is active with ships and barge rows, though all the passenger tour boats and the ferry are idle.  Magazine Street a bit more active but most shops closed, restaurants takeout only.  Grocery stores are fine.  So is Audubon Park for an evening walk.  Weather has been beautiful lately.  

59 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You our withe frendes, plesae do notte worrey abote thisse shite.                         :)

No worries.  This is fun.  We can never have enough fun.

• Like 2

Building a fence for swmbo. Ripping cedar, then burning it with a torch and wire brushing the soot off followed by vegetable oil before I can assemble. Some sort of Japanese method of preserving wood without chemicals for around her garden. 

Not one to concern myself with fluffy gloves, I removed the excessive clamps and took the billet to the JP, fluffy gloves and all

OctoTable_004.jpg.e9c6fbf2db68d0df7e12a67fca7abc7c.jpg

Rather than plane the billet to square, I started with a resaw (fluffy gloves apparent)
OctoTable_005.jpg.60660ee63b0fa31cc9f16fdc9e48757d.jpg

Now to get everything plumb and square. Forgive the fluffy gloves

OctoTable_007.jpg.059076040f9134ca83edada420b392cc.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Not one to concern myself with fluffy gloves, I removed the excessive clamps and took the billet to the JP, fluffy gloves and all

OctoTable_004.jpg.e9c6fbf2db68d0df7e12a67fca7abc7c.jpg

Rather than plane the billet to square, I started with a resaw (fluffy gloves apparent)
OctoTable_005.jpg.60660ee63b0fa31cc9f16fdc9e48757d.jpg

Now to get everything plumb and square. Forgive the fluffy gloves

OctoTable_007.jpg.059076040f9134ca83edada420b392cc.jpg

I’ve got workshop envy. 

• Like 2

I'm spelunking rabbit holes collecting pics to post and cooking more than normal, tonight's dinner will be cheese tortellini with portobello mushrooms and some sort of to be yet determined sauce.

Wine will be involved also.

3 minutes ago, mad said:

I’ve got workshop envy. 

3 minutes ago, Rushman said:

@Jules, I have a bad case of plane envy

The strangest thing that has come out of this is I've suddenly come out of the summer funk.  In the years past, the cool of Florida's winter brings me out of the funk.  But that didn't happen this year.  Allergies were knocking me out.  Then Bob shows up with his rotted out tiller and something happened. 

Then for some reason, I'm hearing Red's voice saying, "Get busy living, or get busy dying," 

Yeah, that makes imminent sense now.

• Like 3

Racking 3 carboys of Sonoma Cab Sauv and a Pinot Grigio. All be bottled next week and off to the cellar before it's too warm. So that's 120 bottles to be tasted of course! Pre-staging our home as after 24 years we are moving to Gibsons, B.C. Too early to cruise as no heat on the boat but pressure the deck and clean up the teak etc. My club is virtually closed but access to my boat and the docks and workshop but I spend too much at the bar anyway! 

WTF are you doing with fucking gloves near a 2 TPI bandsaw blade?!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Jules said:
8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

WTF are you doing with fucking gloves near a 2 TPI bandsaw blade?!!!!!!

Guess you didn't get the satire.

Notte to worrey, Merlle does licke sayeng "WTF"                                                   :)

No. I don't do satire near power tools.....

I planted 48 Chestnut trees, and 50 lbs. of Buckwheat this morning, and my sinuses are killing me. Hopefully it'll rain tonight.

5 hours ago, Jules said:

Depends which virus you're talking about in that situation.

• Like 1

ran up the engine on the 35 today and checked the nav lights and bilge pumps. gonna load up the alcohol canisters for the stove and maybe go cruise around the bay for a day or two or three

7 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

I've made three batches of homebrew beer in the last four weeks. 

I am still at work (essential industry, making hospital disinfectants), but I won't run out of beer.

what did you brew?  i did a rye pale ale and an irish extra stout,  went to the homebrew store ( curb side service only)  and got grains for an ESB, Negro Modelo, and a Porter..  i'm ready for the shutdown..

6 hours ago, Jules said:

it's the damn clamps again... by any chance are y'all into S&M  ?  ntiwtn

I predict that Goodwill will be overwhelmed by stuff as this winds down.   There is a huge pile messing up the garage already.  Keeps growing.

This is getting out of hand... I need to build a boat seat for the rowboat.

Actually, do any of you have any bright ideas for a light weight rowboat seat setup?   Fixed.  It's just an 8 ft shell at the moment.