What Are You Doing During Your COVID Vacation?

27 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

It's still fairly contained here ATM, I don't think Victoria has any community spread..That will change. I wish to fuck they'd just lock us all down and get on with it.

Wish they’d just enforce it properly here, still loads of people around.......just happened to coincide with the first decent weather of the year. Typical! 

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

20 minutes if it starts raining hard.

For work related stuff that has to earn its keep that is very true. Downtime is very costly. For less critical stuff - like sailboats - I get a large amount of satisfaction out of taking some gna

haven't been on covid vacay,  still at work, which is nice.  but been working on building a plank on frame star 45...  

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Cruiser2B said:

Learning morse code, hope to go sailing this weekend 

Hope you’re teaching someone else as well, going to be a one way conversation otherwise....... I wonder how many still know how to transmit using it nowadays? 

16 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Working from home or office. Alternating days in the office with paralegal. Organizing next season’s offshore race project. Building a new old trailer for my diesel launch. When that’s done, (soon), I’ll get back to driving to the boat ramp 350’ down the street, launching the boat, putting the dog in the boat, and enjoying my solitude on the water, as the only fat goofy redneck on the St. John’s River not doing 60 mph in a fluorescent bass boat. 

Pics of the launch? I have 3 small diesels laying around. I've been looking for an old lifeboat or similar to convert to diesel.

8 minutes ago, F_L said:

Pics of the launch? I have 3 small diesels laying around. I've been looking for an old lifeboat or similar to convert to diesel.

I have more somewhere, but here it is tucked away, and with the little Perkins Perama M20 going back in after rebuild. 

D7285DC2-4846-44D9-AAED-30658D1FD1B7.jpeg

FA5CED07-D797-4FCB-BFB2-E27D5A57BA2D.jpeg

Classical. In disaster times I’ve come to appreciate it.
As a KATRINA refugee, I found pop music ( and pop culture) the rest of the country was listening to, vapid and irrelevant to the hard times we were enduring. Classical  has survived (and helped make more bearable) the war, pestilence, and tumult of many generations of suffering and survival.

that said I am not that welll-versed in it,  but Mozart’s 40th and Beethoven’s 5th and 7th uplifting.  

27 minutes ago, nolatom said:

Classical. In disaster times I’ve come to appreciate it.
As a KATRINA refugee, I found pop music ( and pop culture) the rest of the country was listening to, vapid and irrelevant to the hard times we were enduring. Classical  has survived (and helped make more bearable) the war, pestilence, and tumult of many generations of suffering and survival.

that said I am not that welll-versed in it,  but Mozart’s 40th and Beethoven’s 5th and 7th uplifting.  

I've been in love with Hilary Hahn since she was too young to be in love with.

hh2.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I have more somewhere, but here it is tucked away, and with the little Perkins Perama M20 going back in after rebuild. 

D7285DC2-4846-44D9-AAED-30658D1FD1B7.jpeg

FA5CED07-D797-4FCB-BFB2-E27D5A57BA2D.jpeg

SWEET!

Looks like a fun project. That's about what I am looking for. Years ago my dad acquired a new BMW single cylinder diesel. He wanted to install it in an old lifeboat. He passed away before the appropriate hull turned up so the search continues. Since then I added to the diesel collection with a single cylinder Yanmar and 2 cylinder Universal. 

Our local Seascouts have a diesel powered lifeboat. It is direct drive. Forward-Neutral-Reverse is done by feathering the prop. Interesting setup.

9 hours ago, flyingdog said:

More interested on the red thing on the right!

That was a project my Son and I worked on 8 years ago 1968 912. We went through everything, rebuilt the engine with larger cylinders and a street cam to increase the fun factor. It needs a tune up and valves adjusted before I get back to work. 

1[1].jpg

• Like 3

I am doing the same thing I did before the COVID crisis.  

Sitting at home, talking to the dogs, posting here, reading.

Oh, and talking to this very short woman that claims she is my wife.  Could be true, she looks vaguely familiar.  Before the lock down, I didn't see her much, busy woman.

Turns out that we kind of like each other and even share some interests so, so far so good.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

You know.........we have our share of idiots, but for the most part this is a very interesting and talented group of people. Must be something about sailors. Anyway.....that just occurred to me. Carry on.

I noticed that as soon as I signed up.

Then I got to PA. :D

Did something I almost never do this morning - watched TV.  I learned about the great civilizations of Africa and the fu go balloon bombs the Japanese released into the jet stream to wreak havoc on the west coast of the U.S. during WWII. 

Then I find myself watching almost an hour of Gov. Cuomo giving a very informative and common sense press conference about COVID-19 response.  Then I had lunch.  And we're out of milk.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what did you brew?  i did a rye pale ale and an irish extra stout,  went to the homebrew store ( curb side service only)  and got grains for an ESB, Negro Modelo, and a Porter..  i'm ready for the shutdown..

I made a kind of "lawnmower beer" with leftover grains (LIght, melanoidin, vienna) hopped with magnum andHallertau.

Next, I make COVID Kolsch, with Weyermann Cologne, hopped with magnum and Styrian Goldings.

Sunday I made a Pale Ale with Golden Promise, fuggles and a little Styrian Goldings.

I have enough grains & stuff to make a batch of blackberry Berliner Weisse and a another batch of pale Ale (with Golden Promise).  I'll run out of bottles before I run out of grains.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Haven't seen a Daniel Taylor/Brent Swain type come through in quite awhile, maybe we should say one of thier names three time and watch what happens?

13 minutes ago, hobot said:

Haven't seen a Daniel Taylor/Brent Swain type come through in quite awhile, maybe we should say one of thier names three time and watch what happens?

Fish Food was showing promise towards the end.

Was Daniel Taylor "Dirty" with the wood Sea Witch? That guy was a lot of fun.

9 hours ago, atoyot said:

Self-quaranteen has involved some ham radio projects

Watcha working on?  I'm finishing up a low-noise switching power supply for my KX3, just received a CF collapsible fishing pole for a portable 40m vertical for SOTA, and have a bunch of other things in the queue (especially a high performance direct conversion transceiver for 40m).  With the weather getting nice, it's hard to say how far I'll get into the queue.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

:lol: I was in there for a while.....I took a couple breaks from that place and would wander back in........somewhere around a year ago I decided it was not adding anything to my perspective and got tired of the constant shitfights. It was like digging through a pile of shit hoping there was a pony in there somewhere. I still find GA and some of the others interesting to some degree to I hang around there/here. Hard to believe I have been knocking around in here for 16 years now.......

3 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Watcha working on?  I'm finishing up a low-noise switching power supply for my KX3, just received a CF collapsible fishing pole for a portable 40m vertical for SOTA, and have a bunch of other things in the queue (especially a high performance direct conversion transceiver for 40m).  With the weather getting nice, it's hard to say how far I'll get into the queue.

20200320_113840.thumb.jpg.019ce7ffbae1f523cc7a4decca79f663.jpg

Mostly fine-tuning this uBITX [www.hfsignals.com V.5] build, inside a Pelican-style case & several mods. The past few days, I've been rigging some lightweight EFHW antennas with 49:1 unun's that will fit inside the closed lid along with CW key and hand mike.  16 18650 batteries provide a few hours of light use & will charge off a car battery or solar panel.

I do have a vertical at home made from a 7-metre Chinese "fishing rod" wound with, I dont recall, maybe 70' of magnet wire & 9:1 unum at the base. A redundant fiberglass pole is hiding around here someplace, for field use should I try harder to play away from home. A new-to-me kit ("Cyclone") is on the way from a guy, which I look forward to nailing together for the same eventuality.

11 hours ago, mad said:

Hope you’re teaching someone else as well, going to be a one way conversation otherwise....... I wonder how many still know how to transmit using it nowadays? 

Sending is easy.... receiving at speed is the tricky part.  I'm not that fast at all but can hold a conversation.

I've seen it said that CW (radio "Morse" code) is the "sailing" equivalent within ham radio.  It takes work, fewer people do it, etc. but it's far from dead. One can typically communicate as far and as reliably with a 5-watt, battery-capable CW transceiver as is generally achieved with a 50-watt SSB voice radio. 

Look up SOTA for a niche user paradigm and wonder if that isn't nearly as exclusive as many one-design interests.  It appears to be very popular in the UK.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, atoyot said:

Mostly fine-tuning this uBITX [www.hfsignals.com V.5] build, inside a Pelican-style case & several mods. The past few days, I've been rigging some lightweight EFHW antennas with 49:1 unun's that will fit inside the closed lid along with CW key and hand mike.  16 18650 batteries provide a few hours of light use & will charge off a car battery or solar panel.

I do have a vertical at home made from a 7-metre Chinese "fishing rod" wound with, I dont recall, maybe 70' of magnet wire & 9:1 unum at the base. A redundant fiberglass pole is hiding around here someplace, for field use should I try harder to play away from home. A new-to-me kit ("Cyclone") is on the way from a guy, which I look forward to nailing together for the same eventuality.

Forgive my ignorance...  What is this used for?  If it is a HAM Radio setup, do you just chat with random folks?  Sort of like SA?

That's the Zombie Apocalypse Survival HF Go-Kit. There are other, more capable short-wave (HF) ham transceivers inside, with better antennas strung around the place. But yes, they are for BSing with random folks all over the place. The weaker radios like this one take greater patience than the "real" ones but that's part of the challenge. Yeah, I guess it's a bit like SA but without the great ta-ta pictures. In the above setup, I've connected radio with a laptop for keyboard-to-keyboard messaging and potential file transfers.  It has a ways to go, yet, for the level of reliability I'd like in that capacity.

Historically, the privelige to occupy vast swaths of radio dial space is paid for by being available for emergency comms during natural disasters, etc. and for the opportunity to experiment with different technologies.   Listening to the bands these days, one might think we're dominated by 120-year-old fossils spitting out their chawin' terbaccie between reminiscing about their spark-gap equipment, though there are some quite interesting discussions on tech stuff and/or about many different mutual past times to be intercepted.

Go to www.k3fef.com:8901 and play around, see what you can pick up. Different frequencies work better during the day, others better at night. 3.880MHz or so is often occupied in the evenings by guys still using Amplitude Modulation and sound as good as commercial broadcast stations

• Like 1

Vacation??? Really

You People have idea what isolation is.  Try being in a wheelchair for 22 years and then be told to isolate at home. 
When I go to the store, my wheels touch everywhere and then I have to touch my wheels.
Rubber gloves, I need gloves up the ass but you hoarders have bought them all. 

I hope you all enjoy your short lived isolation..................I'll live mine till the day I die.

14 hours ago, atoyot said:

I had a uBitx v6 for awhile -- didn't really fit my needs, especially the drastic power drop off from 80 to 15 meters.  I farted around with a couple of mods (subbing a hotter transistor in for Q90, and a 2N3866A or two), but they didn't help much.  Interesting concept & rig, though.  If you've got a spare $20 and some soldering skills, the replacement Teensy 4.0 board & adapter kit from W0EB is pretty slick.

Good luck with the setup!  I use a 20' fiberglass fishing pole with a wire running up to the top (with radials) as a vertical on 20m, and once I get the other one put together for 40m it will be pretty sweet.  kx3_oak_mntn.thumb.jpg.a3a147fb5427ff76614741143c4059b6.jpg

• Like 1

Just spent the entire morning transplanting one azalea from a planter to the ground.

Fucking vine root!

Fucking rocks!

Fucking buried construction rubble! (rebar)

Fuck!

On 3/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, SloopJonB said:

DT was Woofsy on steriods. Had a boat called Sequel?? Out of the San Juans somewhere I believe. His shitfights were amzing. 

What we referred to in the Fire Academy as a STAN

WL

5 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:
On 3/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, SloopJonB said:

DT was Woofsy on steriods. Had a boat called Sequel?? Out of the San Juans somewhere I believe. His shitfights were amzing. 

What we referred to in the Fire Academy as a STAN

Oh, yes. DT (Dr. Electron) was a prize. Staged his own suicide on line at the end, he was a sick puppy. I hear Scot nuked much of San Juan Island getting rid of him for good, since Daniel floated around stealing bandwidth. You still see remnants of his wisdom floating around here, oscilloscopes and pad thai and a few other things pop up.

Dirty was Bryan somebody, he was just an idiot.

Surviving the vacation...digging holes and putting stuff in them. Took out a dozen sword ferns yesterday and gave them to the neighbour. Our local garden waste dropoff has closed so now we're stockpiling all the spring trash in the back yard. Near the bottles we're stockpiling since the bottle returns have closed. We got out on the boat last week but never got the sails up, it was still nice anchored off Sidney Spit in the sunshine eating hot dogs off the BBQ.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

I'm going to start learning how to build a webpage and start posting stuff on it!

Any thoughtful advice to give?

Yeah - don't do it.

Devote the time to your Random Pics thread instead.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

One comment of the workshop above,  Who left the plane on its Face?  Planes should always be left on their side..

This back log of work in house on garden will be reduced. 

Over here anyone with any of a long list of diseases / illnesses has been sent home for 12weeks with the Government paying 80%of the wages,  I'm lucky my company is paying the other 20%.

Yours truly has two of the items listed so I'm isolated at home. 

So what am I doing? 

At the moment repairing the garage,  built by bodgit and run 40 odd years ago.  I've found lots of problems,  there are sockets wired into the lighting circuit,. The roof and window were secondhand.  The roof being asbestos cement sheet so I have to be careful there.  It's got old attachment holes that leak, and many of the corrugations didn't have the hollows filled between wall and roof.  The block walls are only 2 inches thick!!! Reinforcement will occur.. 

Today I'll fit a replacement window. 

As a break I'm building a replacement keel for my sailing boat,  working on the wooden top section at the moment,  I might get one side skin on this week,  I have plenty of clamps for it,  I've over 30+ as I've built a wooden mast in the past.  After that it will be carve a polystyrene male mold  to make the fiberglass outer of the lead lump on the bottom. 

Other work SWMBO has suggested rebuilding the stairs,  it's planned this will have drawers coming out beneath sideways,  for..... Shoes... 

In the evenings to avoid TV I'll be working on building 3 more boards for the model railway.  For which space has been cleared,  tonight I'll illegally go to the currently  closed Model railway club and couple of miles away,  to retrieve track,  scenic materials, glues paints etc. 

After a Muggacoffee it'll be time to start mixing mortar for the window surround.. 

The last time I had more than four days off was three years ago. Two weeks off after Cat 4-5 Cyclone Debbie smashed us. It was not a holiday. Living off a generator for three weeks, rainwater tanks for ten days, and busting ass trying to clean up our destroyed property. 

After an unbelievably easy and quick online pension application (it's good to be Australian!) I don't have to worry about paying for basic survival for the next however many months. Getting value for a lifetime of paying taxes.

I have a pile of books. I haven't played nearly enough guitar for months. Plenty of food and poo paper. Adequate supply of booze and herbs. A swimming pool. No reason to wear clothes or leave the woods and go to town. No putting up with idiots.

I think I'm going to like this.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Happy said:

After an unbelievably easy and quick online pension application (it's good to be Australian!) I don't have to worry about paying for basic survival for the next however many months. Getting value for a lifetime of paying taxes.

You need to delete this.  Merkins may start getting ideas.

:wacko:

No they won't.

6 hours ago, Happy said:

The last time I had more than four days off was three years ago. Two weeks off after Cat 4-5 Cyclone Debbie smashed us. It was not a holiday. Living off a generator for three weeks, rainwater tanks for ten days, and busting ass trying to clean up our destroyed property. 

I have a pile of books. I haven't played nearly enough guitar for months. Plenty of food and poo paper. Adequate supply of booze and herbs. A swimming pool. No reason to wear clothes or leave the woods and go to town. No putting up with idiots.

I think I'm going to like this.

No way to track Google Earth cameras.  Hopefully you are not out skimming the pool when the satellite cruises overhead.

funny-google-street-view-photos-13.jpg 

On 3/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, bplipschitz said:

.._.  ___   __

-.-. .._     ___ _.    _ .... .  ,_ .. ._.

A guy says he taught his dog Morse code. "Aye right Show me." Mate says. Guy turns to dog and asks "who's been a good boy then?" Dog uses paw on ground. Tap tap pause tap long pause tap pause tap pause tap long pause tap pause tap pause tap long pause tap tap tap pause tap. "what he say?" Mate asks

'WOOF'

• Like 1

No days off here, working 9+ hours Monday through Friday and 6 on Saturday.  2nd shift guy and his whole family are in self quarantine, and my other 1st shift guy is on bereavement leave, as his father just passed.  Glad to have the work because I don't know if any Tenants are going to not have the rent in a couple weeks.  We shall see!

Day 1 of 21 day national lockdown here today. Had a sort of job list as we had 3 days notice so after work yesterday installed a new shelf in the pantry, today installed a new cupboard in the laundry and sanded and varnished half the jetty, will do the rest tomorrow, it’s about 20m long with a 6x3m platform at the end. Have garage doors to sand and paint, fortunately I have all the tools as I own a manufacturing facility, the aim is to look busy so the boss doesn’t find too many other things for me to to do, she can at least work online. Also need to put a lot of thought and work into the vegetable garden to try and  improve on previous years winter crops.

Probably the worst thing is living on a lake and having boats in my garden and not being allowed to use them.

Keep safe out there

cheers

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Trust you're referring to indoors? :D

Nope. My place is totally private, 5 acres tucked on the edge of the National Park.

The nearby airstrip is home to a skydiving operation, they probably get glimpses of my fat saggy white arse, but they're tough.

4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Bought a new brush cutter day before shutdown. Looks like there is going to be shit loads of crap to clear up once this thing ends.

Hard part is to not cut everything...

Once you start a chainsaw you keep looking for more things that need cutting.  At least I do.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Once you start a chainsaw you keep looking for more things that need cutting.  At least I do.

Absolutely, nice blade on the cutter and most shit under 100mm could go. Trying to restrain myself.

I guessed wrong on the feet for the octagon table and they ended up looking a wee bit short.  Rather than making up new feet I thought about scarphing on some extensions.  The only time I've done any scarphing is on a guitar.  The eucalyptus wasn't too bad to work with but the white oak was a bitch.  It planed like end grain.

OctoTable_010.jpg.0e95ee8e19b70d1ccabd47eac4a647fb.jpg

Now I have to figure out how long to make the extension and how to design it.

24 minutes ago, Jules said:

The eucalyptus wasn't too bad to work with but the white oak was a bitch.  It planed like end grain.

Why?  That sondes weirde, you haive sharpe blades?  Howe olde is it?  WO gettes knarlliere with age, butte sharpe blades ussualley worke fine.              :)

1 hour ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

I think that's a corollary to the old bit "When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail".

38 minutes ago, Jules said:

I guessed wrong on the feet for the octagon table and they ended up looking a wee bit short. 

"I've cut it three times and it's still too short". :D

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Why?  That sounds weird, you have sharp blades?  Howe old is it?  WO getting gnarly with age, but sharp blades usually work fine.              :)

Razor sharp.  The figure in the white oak in the scarph area was almost the same as end grain. I had to skew the plane to get it to shave smoothly.  I tried everything from a low angle plane to a standard plane with a high angle frog in it.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I'm always careful to measure repeatedly. It still doesn't always work out.

I measured twice and all that.  But my crystal ball was a bit fuzzy and the way I envisioned it wasn't the way it ended up looking.  The base was sturdy enough, it just looked a little anemic. 

But on the height, I planned on it being more like a coffee table, which is usually around seat height.  But it just didn't work.  It looked weird.  We added blocks under the table top last night and settled on 3" more in height. 

23 minutes ago, Jules said:

Razor sharp.  The figure in the white oak in the scarph area was almost the same as end grain. I had to skew the plane to get it to shave smoothly.  I tried everything from a low angle plane to a standard plane with a high angle frog in it.

Nowe, Ime am assumeng highley figurred, guarttered sawne wo.  Cane you rediuce depthe of cutte?

Day One:

Tried to sleep in. Got up at 6:00 instead of 5:30. Coffee and a smoke and a look at the sunrise, back to bed.

Up again at 7:30. Bored. Went for a walk around the joint looking for something that needed doing or could be improved. Nothing. Back to bed with a great book. "The Border" by Don Winslow. Everybody should read it.

Breakfast--pool--reading--lunch--pool--reading--pool with beer and spliff--fuck around on the computer--sunset's near, back to the pool with more beer and spliff--plan dinner--and tomorrow's dinner--

Tomorrow I'm going to mow the lawn and learn to speak Italian.

If I wasn't so fucking broke I'd buy some plywood and epoxy and build a dinghy I can go fishing in.

Day One update:

Six beers down. Dog has been going nuts for half an hour, probably feral pigs coming down the mountain.

Set up for salmon steaks blasted in hot butter for a charred outside and raw middle, warm dressing of olive oil/lemon juice/smashed capers/parsley. Shoestring oven chips.

The missus works in a large supermarket. She'll be in a foul mood when she gets home.

I'll put out a large glass of wine, hide behind the couch and throw out bits of chocolate. 

Update 2: She's  just come up the driveway with Santana blaring her sound system. I think she's feeling good. 

3 hours ago, Happy said:

Day One update:

Six beers down. Dog has been going nuts for half an hour, probably feral pigs coming down the mountain.

Set up for salmon steaks blasted in hot butter for a charred outside and raw middle, warm dressing of olive oil/lemon juice/smashed capers/parsley. Shoestring oven chips.

The missus works in a large supermarket. She'll be in a foul mood when she gets home.

I'll put out a large glass of wine, hide behind the couch and throw out bits of chocolate. 

Update 2: She's  just come up the driveway with Santana blaring her sound system. I think she's feeling good. 

Life on the front line. War is hell. Many people say it. Incredible people.

• Like 1

Looks like the SO's boss is reducing hours. 

• Stores going from 2 or 3 sales people down to 1. 
  • Sales staff decide who works when
  • SO's income cut at least in half.

This is a worst case scenario for us.  No unemployment assistance.  50% or more reduction in income.  This is going to put a serious strain on our finances. 

Boss man (and wife), however, cut their costs and avoid paying additional unemployment fees to state.  Maybe they even get some additional money from the $2T package.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, Off Watch said:

That was a project my Son and I worked on 8 years ago 1968 912. We went through everything, rebuilt the engine with larger cylinders and a street cam to increase the fun factor. It needs a tune up and valves adjusted before I get back to work. 

1[1].jpg

If it has the Solex carbs, it will ALWAYS need a tune-up, except for about five minutes right after you put away the flow meteres and that teeny-weeny allen wrench.

- DSK

Going thru old papers like medical receipts, etc. Keeping the 0.1% useful and putting the rest in shred bags. 

Getting rid of old itineraries, etc. saved from past trips. Adding to shred bag.

Point is to make the trash heap room in the basement a decent office space for me. Mr. Clew is happily ensconced in the other one.  

No way to get on any water until further notice. Community pools not opening either.

Future excitement: finding pickup shred service.

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Going thru old papers like medical receipts, etc. Keeping the 0.1% useful and putting the rest in shred bags. 

Getting rid of old itineraries, etc. saved from past trips. Adding to shred bag.

Point is to make the trash heap room in the basement a decent office space for me. Mr. Clew is happily ensconced in the other one.  

No way to get on any water until further notice. Community pools not opening either.

Future excitement: finding pickup shred service.

This is on my to-do list. Also, Mrs. Stream informed me that I'll be hanging the literally hundreds of pieces of stuff she wants on the walls this weekend. Either that, or I can let her do it in which case I'll be re-plastering.

On 3/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, bplipschitz said:

I had a uBitx v6 for awhile -- didn't really fit my needs, especially the drastic power drop off from 80 to 15 meters.  I farted around with a couple of mods (subbing a hotter transistor in for Q90, and a 2N3866A or two), but they didn't help much.  Interesting concept & rig, though.  If you've got a spare $20 and some soldering skills, the replacement Teensy 4.0 board & adapter kit from W0EB is pretty slick.

Good luck with the setup!  I use a 20' fiberglass fishing pole with a wire running up to the top (with radials) as a vertical on 20m, and once I get the other one put together for 40m it will be pretty sweet.  kx3_oak_mntn.thumb.jpg.a3a147fb5427ff76614741143c4059b6.jpg

Yes, that ^ is a vastly better setup. If I could swing around $450, eBay would certainly provide. Having said that, I've probably sunk close to that in 2 new-to-me boards and one brand new kit, a pair of free ones that required minor repair to get working fine, three RX preamp boards, 3 AGC boards, one replacement Raduino, 12 million Nano's,  300 2n3053's, and maybe a dozen 510's.

Live and learn.... and learn lots of stuff I'd half forgotten, I have.  The chance to prototype a couple of custom builds has been fun. Working with the fine detail of solid-state mods has been good occupational therapy in addition to helping with these recent plague times.  Maybe I'll sell the bunch for nothing close to what's in them, and move on, maybe not, though I would like something with a better track record in portability. Like the KX3...

@atoyot, if I could wind back the clock to view the things that initially seemed a bargain to embrace the "total" cost once done and in service I would be very unhappy with myself.

I was looking to buy a forklift, and while the temptation to buy a very used one is hard to resist, the math points to a more expensive one being cheaper.

Such a hard lesson to learn, and hard to retain.

Ooo!  Look at this on craigslist!  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

If it has the Solex carbs, it will ALWAYS need a tune-up, except for about five minutes right after you put away the flow meteres and that teeny-weeny allen wrench.

- DSK

Its got Weber carbs.

9 hours ago, Happy said:

Day One:

Tried to sleep in. Got up at 6:00 instead of 5:30. Coffee and a smoke and a look at the sunrise, back to bed.

Up again at 7:30. Bored. Went for a walk around the joint looking for something that needed doing or could be improved. Nothing. Back to bed with a great book. "The Border" by Don Winslow. Everybody should read it.

Breakfast--pool--reading--lunch--pool--reading--pool with beer and spliff--fuck around on the computer--sunset's near, back to the pool with more beer and spliff--plan dinner--and tomorrow's dinner--

Tomorrow I'm going to mow the lawn and learn to speak Italian.

Life's a bitch... and then you die. ;)

So far, it's been pretty busy - at least in the afternoons.

I suspected that many of my coworkers - if given the chance - would roll in around 11 am, have some coffee, start chugging around noon, then work till 4:30. 

We now have proof :)

47 minutes ago, Windward said:

@atoyot, if I could wind back the clock to view the things that initially seemed a bargain to embrace the "total" cost once done and in service I would be very unhappy with myself.

I was looking to buy a forklift, and while the temptation to buy a very used one is hard to resist, the math points to a more expensive one being cheaper.

Such a hard lesson to learn, and hard to retain.

Ooo!  Look at this on craigslist!  

For work related stuff that has to earn its keep that is very true. Downtime is very costly.

For less critical stuff - like sailboats - I get a large amount of satisfaction out of taking some gnarly old crap and making it useful and pretty again.

Rarely makes any financial sense but what is self satisfaction or pride of workmanship worth?

Plus you get to paint yourself green by recycling instead of increasing your carbon footprint by getting new stuff manufactured. In many cases you end up with better stuff than you could even get new - for example those stair treads on that junkyard ladder are old growth Burma teak.

7q Compass before.jpg

7r Compass after.jpg

Ladder 3.JPG

Ladder 5.JPG

Racor 1.JPG

Racor After.JPG

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Off Watch said:

Its got Weber carbs.

big +

You should be happy!

Back story- long long long ago (in a universe not so far away) I bought a non-running '66 912 and was derided by friends for having a "lady's car." But it was a damn good ride.... a little finicky in some ways, but I loved it

- DSK

• Like 1
On 3/27/2020 at 3:16 AM, Jkdubz808 said:

One week left of the coronacation. Then it’s off to work I go. Avoiding airports. 12 hour drive in a rental then hop on the chopper. 

Are they running tests on you guys before the transfer??  I hope so?

On 3/27/2020 at 6:01 AM, SloopJonB said:

On 3/27/2020 at 4:36 AM, hobot said:

I'm going to start learning how to build a webpage and start posting stuff on it!

Any thoughtful advice to give?

Yeah - don't do it.

Devote the time to your Random Pics thread instead.

Thanks in advance

Transfer the favourites from the thread onto the website for others that don’t come to SA

• Like 1

I just put 3 boxes of books and one of DVD's out on the footpath. I was going to put them in the recycle but with bookshops and libraries closed I thought those passing by might find another use for them. Well read paperback paper is quite soft :)

31 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

When I finish decrappifying my nest I will learn how to use my underwater camera. Indonesia in fall 2021 or 2022 or be dead.

Are you intending underwater selfies in the bath? :D

I've got about three old cameras here with the memory cards in them.Kids cameras,  No idea what's of them some will be years and years old. I'm going to try loading all the pics on a spare laptop and sort them out

1 hour ago, mad said:

Are they running tests on you guys before the transfer??  I hope so?

I hope so too, haven’t heard anything yet. I’m assuming they will take our temperature before getting on the chopper. 

I've been adding motion security lights to the corners of the property. Adding some more fencing. Roto-tillered up the garden to get ready for planting. Basically setting up for a prolonged event where it might get a little weirder than normal out there. Well set on ammo and tools to distribute it.

When the have nots, start to get nervous and come after the haves, its going to be a really different world. I am praying that we get the ball rolling again, long before that point. 

Strange Days indeed

WL

• Like 2