747 daily cases yesterday Australia.  Highest day ever.

Lockdowns are working guys, keep 'em up.   Maybe, uh, 'do them harder' - as the NZL PM keeps saying.

Keep applying the strategies from 2 years ago.

Stay home. Stay Safe!  Be Alone!  Lockdown Harder!  Lockdown Longer!

1669341552_ScreenShot2021-08-20at4_22_04AM.thumb.png.f933826961b1e18a44d4e210fddbe77f.png

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack_sparrow

• ShortForBob

• The Dark Knight

• LB 15

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The people who aren't on the news, the nurses, drs, police etc are fucking legends. The professionals deserve as much thanks as we can muster. And that starts with us helping them and gettin

Had our second AZ jab on Thursday. Rolled up at 7am to the doctors, people waiting in line out the front and a receptionist popping in and out like a yoyo keeping tabs on the number of people.  

No, they well and truely live off me (and others who work in the private world and earn enough to be a net contributor to government)

Posted Images

Is it true Sydney is down for another month? Just heard from a friend there running out of ideas for her 3 yr old. Fingerpaints, do they still do that? 

20 minutes ago, BlatantEcho said:

747 daily cases yesterday Australia.  Highest day ever.

Lockdowns are working guys, keep 'em up.   Maybe, uh, 'do them harder' - as the NZL PM keeps saying.

Keep applying the strategies from 2 years ago.

Stay home. Stay Safe!  Be Alone!  Lockdown Harder!  Lockdown Longer!

Thanks for the top of the page encouragement. great reminder to us all to go hard and early, stay home and be safe. Get vaccinated and get tested.

Much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Melibob said:

Thanks for the top of the page encouragement. great reminder to us all to go hard and early, stay home and be safe. Get vaccinated and get tested.

Much appreciated.

Nope, time we abandoned lockdowns and learn to live with it, like the rest of the developed world (cept NZ) 

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

Is it true Sydney is down for another month? Just heard from a friend there running out of ideas for her 3 yr old. Fingerpaints, do they still do that? 

No one ever thought that would be otherwise.

Great ideas for 3 year olds. Packet of blue tack and box of surgical gloves . And small plastic animals My GO TO for 52 hour door to door flights with 3-4 rear olds.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Nope, time we abandoned lockdowns and learn to live with it, like the rest of the developed world (cept NZ) 

If NSW had copied NZs strategy they would have saved lives. 

NSW's level 4 lock down is about the same as NZ's level 3.  NZ applied the level 4 lock down to the whole country as soon as a single Covid-19 case was found in the community, NSW fiddled with a lesser local lock down which clearly did not work.

After 3 days, NZ is now at 31 cases, most in Auckland but 4 in Wellington and some in the Waikato, the contact tracing is keeping up and 99% of the population is cooperating with the level 4 rules.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Whoever was making the decision in NSW was doing well up until recently.

So was the Captain of the Titanic!

smoke-out-laughing-out-loud.gif

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dark Cloud said:

Nope, time we abandoned lockdowns and learn to live die with it, like the rest of the developed world (cept NZ) 

FIFY

• Like 1

Eventually all Aus states and NZ will go the way of NSW, the only difference will be the higher level of vaccination and hopefully fewer hospitalisations and deaths. It is inevitable.

I think Berejiklian has done some analysis and figured that going softer and waiting for vaccinations to catch up is "better" (by some unexplained criterion) than going harder to kill it off. The counter experiment is Victoria, which is still going for an eradication strategy. It will be interesting to see which way Qld goes when the inevitable next outbreak occurs—soft and push vaccination, or try to eliminate (again)?.

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Apparently it takes 3 days now........

Nope. I was told 12-24 hours for result. Maybe for normal mortals it's longer.

(Prolly because of the mystery cases around Balaclava and St Kilda they want them back fast. :) )

Tell BN test only took 1 hr drive through. all details pre filled on some DB.

43 minutes ago, RobG said:

Eventually all Aus states and NZ will go the way of NSW, the only difference will be the higher level of vaccination and hopefully fewer hospitalisations and deaths. It is inevitable.

I think Berejiklian has done some analysis and figured that going softer and waiting for vaccinations to catch up is "better" (by some unexplained criterion) than going harder to kill it off. The counter experiment is Victoria, which is still going for an eradication strategy. It will be interesting to see which way Qld goes when the inevitable next outbreak occurs—soft and push vaccination, or try to eliminate (again)?.

Well it's certainly given NSW preferential treatment on Vax supply.

Watch em brag when they get to 70% first.:rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, Melibob said:

Nope. I was told 12-24 hours for result. Maybe for normal mortals it's longer.

(Prolly because of the mystery cases around Balaclava and St Kilda they want them back fast. :) )

Tell BN test only took 1 hr drive through. all details pre filled on some DB.

Colourblind...  

• Like 2

For reference to anyone who thinks Melbourne did worse last year than Sydney is doing right now, Sydney is about 7 days (at the current rate) from flying past Melbourne's total covid cases. Even if they have peaked, which they haven't, they will blow past Melbourne by thousands, long before vaccination rates are decent.

The only reason the death rate is lower, is vaccination. Which should be absolute definitive proof that vaccination works.

Also, for anyone forgetting the Aged Care system is under the jurisdiction of the Federal government, so 700 of the 800 deaths everyone is referencing is because of the Federal Government's failure to protects Aged Care Facilities.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Article on ABC website.

70% is not enough. It's 70% AND low case numbers.....

Yes I know. 

Actually I thought it was 80% with low case numbers before we'll see the end of city or state wide lockdowns and return to local lockdowns when warranted.

Any road, we're a way off that.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Whoa Nelly said:

For reference to anyone who thinks Melbourne did worse last year than Sydney is doing right now, Sydney is about 7 days (at the current rate) from flying past Melbourne's total covid cases. Even if they have peaked, which they haven't, they will blow past Melbourne by thousands, long before vaccination rates are decent.

The only reason the death rate is lower, is vaccination. Which should be absolute definitive proof that vaccination works.

Also, for anyone forgetting the Aged Care system is under the jurisdiction of the Federal government, so 700 of the 800 deaths everyone is referencing is because of the Federal Government's failure to protects Aged Care Facilities.

Another lefty joins in to try and score points against the Libs.  The Delta variant is a total game changer and cannot be measured against what happened last year.  If you think your comments are going to change people's voting choices, you are wrong.

What is it with the holier than thou WA lefties.

Anti-Vaxxers Complaining About Their Freedoms Urged To Take A Fucken Look Around

take-a-look-around-768x480.jpg

While swinging from a hammock out the back of her Californian Bungalow in Murwillumbah, local anti-vaxxer Keely Spiritchild (57) unloads another couple of paragraphs into the secret Facebook group that she spends most of her day moderating.

As NSW records 633 new cases this week, including three transmissions in her out Northern Rivers LGS, Keely says this has gone on too far.

It’s time to fight back, because ‘this government’ is hellbent on controlling us.

For too long ‘the government’ has been oppressing part-time beekeepers like her. Because they know that she’s onto them, and all of these public health orders and free medical supplies are just tools to silence her from spreading the truth.

The fact that Keely doesn’t seem to understand the difference between the Federal Morrison Government and the Berejiklian NSW Government doesn’t seem to impact her confidence in declaring them all puppets for the deep state with conspiracies that are bordering very close to anti-Jewish Nazism.

As one of the many talentless and bored yuppies taking great pleasure in feeling like they are smarter than the entire medical fraternity after watching some shit on YouTube, Keely has vowed to never stop spreading the word of the most far-fetched conspiracy that she ever has latched onto, out of an existential fear that there is no higher power that is secretly in control of the uncertain world she finds herself in after a lifetime of privilege – and his now tormented by the idea of long-term compromises in her comfortable middle class existence that has allowed her to bounce around the east coast of Australia in a Kombi van without any form of full time employment her entire adult life.

It is not yet known what Keely actually qualifies as oppression, and whether or not she’s been looking at what’s going on in Afghanistan right now.

With the Taliban taking control of Kabul and a generation of Afghan women now destined for a lifetime of extreme cruelty and bride trafficking, Australia’s anti-vaxxers remain firm that everything they are going through as part of the government’s response to a pandemic is the worst example of human rights violations ever recored.

The US Air Force are now reporting the discovery of human remains in the landing equipment of their planes that have had to take off with terrified men and women clinging to their wings in the final evacuation efforts – as war lords take the city.

As Australia’s jab roll-out now reaches the stages where the variables of misinformation spread by entitled anti-vaxxers are beginning to affect our chances of ever leaving lockdowns, Keely and the merry gang of privileged freedom fighters are being urged to please take a fucken look around.

Anyone who is even suspected of ever questioning the Taliban are likely to be murdered in the coming months, with bullets, from guns, aimed at them by the people in control of them.

Lebanon has been without power and fuel for weeks now, as the embattled nation struggles to recover from the explosion that destroyed their largest city 12 months.

Palestine remains under siege from increasingly violent land grabs, while in Bangladesh 740,000 Rohingyan refugees remain stateless as they choose the extreme poverty of their neighbouring country over the mass slaughter of the regime currently arresting doctors for reporting on this pamndemic in their homeland.

Comparatively, Keely hasn’t been able to go to a cafe for a week, and the government is strongly recommending she take a free immunisation shot that her local GP can administer to her whenever she has the time.

• Like 1

That's so mean. All those lovely flower people in Murwillumba are just trying to save us all from nanobots. I just checked the Murwillumba FB page.

What a bunch of bananas.

I pretty much despise FB but I do have an account (hypocrite) and I went on to check how some friends down south are going.  They were all good but now I have a weird random messages/ conversation thingy going on with 5 completely random strangers I'm swapping messages with that just seemed to be doing it really tough.

Everyone has different limits and sometimes people seem to just need to talk to marshal enough energy to handle whatever is the next step for them. I feel for them, yet our grandparent/great grandparents survived two world wars, the great depression, untold droughts, fires, floods and living with most of the worlds most dangerous animals and still managed to make it work. This I hope is our equivalent and we too can show that like them we're up to yet another challenge. 

That's my go-to for rationalisation for when we get locked up again at least :).

Who knows, maybe we'll get to milk some positives from it, even if its as trivial as some random faceless chat with a complete stranger.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I pretty much despise FB but I do have an account (hypocrite) and I went on to check how some friends down south are going.  They were all good but now I have a weird random messages/ conversation thingy going on with 5 completely random strangers I'm swapping messages with that just seemed to be doing it really tough.

Everyone has different limits and sometimes people seem to just need to talk to marshal enough energy to handle whatever is the next step for them. I feel for them, yet our grandparent/great grandparents survived two world wars, the great depression, untold droughts, fires, floods and living with most of the worlds most dangerous animals and still managed to make it work. This I hope is our equivalent and we too can show that like them we're up to yet another challenge. 

That's my go-to for rationalisation for when we get locked up again at least :).

Who knows, maybe we'll get to milk some positives from it, even if its as trivial as some random faceless chat with a complete stranger.

We had a poster last year that said something like

"Your grandparents were asked to [ Storm the Normandy Beaches ] [Fight Hitler] [invade Okinawa]

You're being asked to sit on your couch."

Some truth to that. Actually, it was my parents. They got the Spanish Flu, Great Depression, WWII, longshoremen strikes and unemployment...

Well, two good things:

1) You did have months maybe a year in some places where you could go to museums, libraries and galleries, sports events, shopping malls, eat IN restaurants.

2) your vax rollout has had its issues but in the end you are going to get over 60 percent of your population vaccinated, maybe more.

---

In other news, Orlando FL is asking residents to conserve water. There is a regional shortage of liquid oxygen. They use it for water purification there. It's being used up by hospitals with covid patients needing oxygen.

Boil water orders may come.  Theme parks full open, crowded as ever, Disney wussed out on its  outdoor mask requirements, DeathSantis is pushing monoclonal antibodies instead of masks in schools, and UK tourists are clamoring to go to Disney, indignant US won't let them in. Darwin at work. 

Can anyone explain the criteria for making an exposure site T1 T2 or T3?

Has a T1 been visited by an active case and a T2 visited by a close contact of an infected case?

16 hours ago, trt131 said:

Another lefty joins in to try and score points against the Libs.  The Delta variant is a total game changer and cannot be measured against what happened last year.  If you think your comments are going to change people's voting choices, you are wrong.

What is it with the holier than thou WA lefties.

233109663_957125118566807_5438267789990793483_n.jpg

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

image.thumb.png.6692c61dce53ff0f8a40e60b8b025634.png

That would have to be the most stupid thing you've ever posted :angry:

PS, got my test result back in 12 hrs at 3am this morning (neg of course)

The labs must be working 24/7

• Like 1

I got back to Darwin today after a week in Townsville. Rumour says that commencing Monday ALL NT arrivals will do 3 day mandatory quarantine with release after negative test results.

Glad I got back before that shit started.... 

QLD's under attack from fuckwits.

42646e29-18ca-4ffb-adf3-1887f399f0d2.png

A group of people are trying to push across the border between Queensland and New South Wales in Tweed Heads. Police are on the scene to try to control things.

In this area, the "border" is basically a few road blocks splitting one side of the street from the other. There looks to be a few hundred people there.

Gladys has given 16-39 year old higher priority for vaccines maybe she should follow the science and give it to age groups (Boomers) with highest risk.

cfr.jpg

18 minutes ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

Gladys has given 16-39 year old higher priority for vaccines maybe she should follow the science and give it to age groups (Boomers) with highest risk.

cfr.jpg

The fuck you talking about?

Boomers have been eligible to get vaccinated for over 6 months.

If a boomer isn't vaccinated by now, that's on them. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Melibob said:

QLD's under attack from fuckwits.

42646e29-18ca-4ffb-adf3-1887f399f0d2.png

A group of people are trying to push across the border between Queensland and New South Wales in Tweed Heads. Police are on the scene to try to control things.

In this area, the "border" is basically a few road blocks splitting one side of the street from the other. There looks to be a few hundred people there.

Nope, I'm with them.

That border is bullshit, it's an artifact, it's not a real border.

You're supporting the Queensland Govt who'd happily & willingly deny a mother medical treatment for her sick kid, in a hospital close by, because it's on the wrong side of a line drawn through suburbia. That sort of shit has to stop.

FKT

• Like 1
Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nope, I'm with them.

That border is bullshit, it's an artifact, it's not a real border.

You're supporting the Queensland Govt who'd happily & willingly deny a mother medical treatment for her sick kid, in a hospital close by, because it's on the wrong side of a line drawn through suburbia. That sort of shit has to stop.

FKT

Qld offered to temporarily move the border checkpoints to allow for the the above. NSW refused.

And, If those protesters were actually locals protesting the closing of the bubble because they can't get to work ect, I'd have some sympathy.

But, you'll note, they are all unmasked.

Also, Tweed heads has a population of around 10,000.

There's a thousand plus people there.

If tweed heads has that many anti masking idiots.

Fuck em.

But I suspect most of those protesters are not border dwellers.

A large crowd of protesters stand facing a line of police on a sunny day in NSW.

A man gestures as he rides a white horse through a seaside town. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-22/hundreds-protest-on-nsw-queensland-border/100397584

1 hour ago, BlatantEcho said:

Highest daily cases ever... again.

When does the 'lockdowns work!!' narrative end?

929260378_ScreenShot2021-08-22at7_13_27AM.thumb.png.a7124c5e05053f40392b26e3f8fe1377.png

2020. moron

730 cases a day to almost  zero in a few weeks of real lockdown.

We might not get this Delta to almost zero but somehow I cant see 900 deaths amongst the fully vaccinated any time soon

21 hours ago, 00seven said:

I got back to Darwin today after a week in Townsville. Rumour says that commencing Monday ALL NT arrivals will do 3 day mandatory quarantine with release after negative test results.

Glad I got back before that shit started.... 

Any update on this rumour 007? We're due to fly in on Friday. I hope it's just a rumour.

3 minutes ago, Melibob said:

2020. moron

730 cases a day to almost  zero in a few weeks of real lockdown.

We might not get this Delta to almost zero but somehow I cant see 900 deaths amongst the fully vaccinated any time soon

Agree. Sydney - 825 yesterday, 830 today. But deaths less than double digits and mainly old/unvaccinated or both.

I expect numbers to get worse yet but the vax rate is also climbing so - who knows. As I expected, it's a race between vax rates and infection spread, with minimising movement helping the vax rate to get ahead. Hopefully.

Now once we get to 80% vaccinated - I'm going to change my agreement to movement restrictions. At that point if the infection spread isn't contained, it's not going to be and it's time to think of something different. Boosting funds to hospitals and building better isolation systems so as to manage an increasing level of infection as one example.

FKT

10 minutes ago, Alhadder said:

Any update on this rumour 007? We're due to fly in on Friday. I hope it's just a rumour.

I've been watching the NT gov covid site and there's no change.

I heard it first from a cabbie at the airport yesterday, my wife & daughter had heard the same story. Updates for NT entry here https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/travel/quarantine/hotspots-covid-19 . Don't forget to download & pre submit the entry doc for a quicker exit from the airport. Link here https://forms.nt.gov.au/Produce/wizard/9ffc58df-b0a5-422e-86e5-f260522c072a/?prepared=true&logGuid=29e2ecfb-48bf-46aa-b130-877b87399828

I have a mate flying in on Wednesday from Perth as well, I hope it stays a rumour.

1 minute ago, 00seven said:

I've been watching the NT gov covid site and there's no change.

I heard it first from a cabbie at the airport yesterday, my wife & daughter had heard the same story. Updates for NT entry here https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/travel/quarantine/hotspots-covid-19 . Don't forget to download & pre submit the entry doc for a quicker exit from the airport.

I have a mate flying in on Wednesday from Perth as well, I hope it stays a rumour.

Yep done my G2G pass. And checked that site after my post. Will keep an eye on it.

10 minutes ago, Alhadder said:

from Last updated: 18 August 2021

Good luck

Strict new border controls are now in place for all arrivals to the Territory from Monday 9 August, including returning Territorians. Do not travel to the NT unless you have obtained ALL relevant approvals.

You will only be allowed to enter the NT if you are a returning Territorian or have received an approved exemption to enter from the NT CHO. This is a new requirement in addition to the existing Border Entry Form.

All arrivals to the NT must fill in a Border Entry Form.

Exemptions to enter the NT may take up to 72 hours to process. This includes children returning from a hotspot.

https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/travel/quarantine

1 minute ago, Melibob said:

from Last updated: 18 August 2021

Good luck

Strict new border controls are now in place for all arrivals to the Territory from Monday 9 August, including returning Territorians. Do not travel to the NT unless you have obtained ALL relevant approvals.

You will only be allowed to enter the NT if you are a returning Territorian or have received an approved exemption to enter from the NT CHO. This is a new requirement in addition to the existing Border Entry Form.

All arrivals to the NT must fill in a Border Entry Form.

Exemptions to enter the NT may take up to 72 hours to process. This includes children returning from a hotspot.

https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/travel/quarantine

Idiot. You didn't read the first paragraph did you. What you refer to is pertinent to people coming from posted hotspots.

You really are a moron.

11 minutes ago, 00seven said:

Idiot. You didn't read the first paragraph did you. What you refer to is pertinent to people coming from posted hotspots.

You really are a moron.

I knew you'd bite :D

6 minutes ago, Melibob said:

I knew you'd bite :D

So you're a troll as well as an idiot.

You wouldn't get in. That's a good thing.

1 minute ago, 00seven said:

So you're a troll as well as an idiot.

You wouldn't get in. That's a good thing.

I wouldn't want to, ever. So there is that.

58 minutes ago, Melibob said:

I wouldn't want to, ever. So there is that.

And there's another good thing.

As a rule I loath people that pretend to speak for others but on this occasion on behalf of the people of the NT, thank you.

32 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Watching QLD news reminded me of this..

Yeah, 1000 unmasked covidiots reminds you of an 'istorical event that represented the freedom from political oppression of millions.

tell me, when you look in a mirror, does what you see remind you of Mr Bean?

18 minutes ago, Melibob said:

Yeah, 1000 unmasked covidiots reminds you of an 'istorical event that represented the freedom from political oppression of millions.

tell me, when you look in a mirror, does what you see remind you of Mr Bean?

So you are happy that a "twin city" is split down the middle with many thousands of residents unable to get to work. Because residents are angry about their city being split, that makes them "covidiots"

You are the fucking Covidiot

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

So you are happy that a "twin city" is split down the middle with many thousands of residents unable to get to work. Because residents are angry about their city being split, that makes them "covidiots"

You are the fucking Covidiot

Um, if they were residents, Tweed heads has a big problem.

Pop tweed heads 10,000

1000 unmasked protesters.

4 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

You really are useless with your research. 

https://forecast.id.com.au/tweed/population-summary

Same thing applies.

If the protesters were poor souls cut off from their work, why were they all unmasked?

A large crowd of protesters stand facing a line of police on a sunny day in NSW.

maybe this guys horse needed greener grass?

IA man gestures as he rides a white horse through a seaside town.

I hope they all cop a big fine for endangering each other and the police.

and the horse.

30 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

So you are happy that a "twin city" is split down the middle with many thousands of residents unable to get to work

NSW 17,995

Qld 1,964

<_<

btw , that twin city has been split down the middle by many things previously .

13 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-22/border-town-cut-in-half-locals-cannot-get-break-milk-quarantine/100396380

A place Meli couldn't even find on a map without using Google, let alone have any idea what life is like out there...

FKT

hey I lived in Perth in the 70's :D 

a mile to the nearest milk bar and no car.

Lowes Petrol station is on the QLD side. They do bread, milk groceries and hamburgers. 

I used google maps:P

15 minutes ago, Melibob said:

hey I lived in Perth in the 70's :D 

a mile to the nearest milk bar and no car.

Lowes Petrol station is on the QLD side. They do bread, milk groceries and hamburgers. 

I used google maps:P

Hmmm Perth....

I remember sailing into Fremantle in 1980 at the end of my first Bight crossing. It was - different.

All the old working waterfronts are gone really. The new ones are quite boring and you need a MSIC to get inside.

FKT

We should laud @SCARECROW for the foresight in his thread title.

It never gets old or irrelevant.

Well this is promising.

Gov phone app vaccination Certificate hacked in 10 minutes.

And they want to secure my medical records?

They are just not very good at IT stuff. Robo debts, the 2016 census etc etc. Are they incompetent or just cheap?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-08-23/covid-19-vaccine-certificates-forged-in-10-minutes/100390578 

COVID vaccine certificates can be forged within 10 minutes due to 'obvious' security flaw

41 minutes ago, Melibob said:

We should laud @SCARECROW for the foresight in his thread title.

It never gets old or irrelevant.

Well this is promising.

Gov phone app vaccination Certificate hacked in 10 minutes.

And they want to secure my medical records?

They are just not very good at IT stuff. Robo debts, the 2016 census etc etc. Are they incompetent or just cheap?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-08-23/covid-19-vaccine-certificates-forged-in-10-minutes/100390578 

COVID vaccine certificates can be forged within 10 minutes due to 'obvious' security flaw

There's a reason I refused to have anything to do with the e-health caper.

FKT

4 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I opted out too.

Just hope this doesn't mess up passport requirements down the line.

49 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Covid has been a great excuse for the government to make people sign up to shit and legitimize business structures etc.  Covid relief is much easier to get and meaningful if you're registered for GST and pay wages, workers comp etc.  

3 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Covid has been a great excuse for the government to make people sign up to shit and legitimize business structures etc.  Covid relief is much easier to get and meaningful if you're registered for GST and pay wages, workers comp etc.  

That bit doesn't worry me - ABN, GST registered, 10+ years now. I just pay an accountant to keep it all straight, I don't do cash jobs, separate bank account for business income. No probs, no worries over an audit. Of course there's the odd suspect deduction but that's a national sport, but zero undeclared income.

The e-health thing was different but we may all be forced into at least a subset of it for vax records. Dunno. If it's the only way to minimise travel hassles, I'll probably do it. Reluctantly.

FKT

31 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That bit doesn't worry me - ABN, GST registered, 10+ years now. I just pay an accountant to keep it all straight, I don't do cash jobs, separate bank account for business income. No probs, no worries over an audit. Of course there's the odd suspect deduction but that's a national sport, but zero undeclared income.

Trick is when like my wife you have a one person business that's not required to charge GST.  It would cost her $10K in fees and taxes just to be eligible for the small business support.  She spent all last week on the phone trying to get her Centrelink account last used in 1997 linked in to her MyGov.    

18 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Trick is when like my wife you have a one person business that's not required to charge GST.  It would cost her $10K in fees and taxes just to be eligible for the small business support.  She spent all last week on the phone trying to get her Centrelink account last used in 1997 linked in to her MyGov.    

Yeah I guess so - I'm not even going to bother trying. I can't say I've lost any money over this and can't see any reason to get something I don't need even if technically entitled (about which I've no clue due to no interest).

Best of luck with the paper trail. The thought makes me want to take up drinking again.

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah I guess so - I'm not even going to bother trying. I can't say I've lost any money over this and can't see any reason to get something I don't need even if technically entitled (about which I've no clue due to no interest).

Best of luck with the paper trail. The thought makes me want to take up drinking again.

FKT

we wouldn't normally bother either, but she gave up her 9-5 in May to focus on a new business and "not contributing" is causing her almost as much stress and Centrelink.

Brad Hazzard is a walking talking TIT.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/hazzard-says-he-regrets-wilcannia-funeral-comments/100399910

New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazzard has expressed regret over comments he made equating mourners at a funeral in a predominantly Aboriginal outback town with people who attended an illegal gathering in Sydney's east.

Key points:

• Police reported no health order breaches at the funeral
  • Darryl Bugmy says the mourners at his brother's funeral are not responsible for the town's COVID-19 outbreak
  • Almost 40 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Wilcannia

Mr Hazzard linked the two groups over the weekend and warned that the behaviour of "selfish" people who deliberately failed to comply with health orders might cause other people's deaths.

The funeral in the town of Wilcannia was held before the lockdown of regional NSW was enacted and police have not reported any infringements from the event.

So it seems folk are still traveling from NSW to other states and seeding new outbreaks there. 

436813710_ScreenShot2021-08-23at9_35_26AM.png.e76caa7e6f3946d4fc812d24be95a3fe.png

We should probably start a new thread for New Zealand, but I just want to comment on how incredibly different the daily news conferences are with Ardern and Blumfield from the idiotic news conferences Trump and company held last year in the US. They are actually able to speak in complete coherent sentences for a start. And they encourage people to get tested, versus Trump who always complained that if people would just stop getting tested cases would drop. And it is amazing to hear comments like "Team of 5 million" and "Please be kind". Truly must be an amazing country to live in and I dearly hope they can get this outbreak under control, complete their vaccination program, and open the country by this time next year. And also for the selfish reason that I want to visit.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Melibob said:

Brad Hazzard is a walking talking TIT.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/hazzard-says-he-regrets-wilcannia-funeral-comments/100399910

New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazzard has expressed regret over comments he made equating mourners at a funeral in a predominantly Aboriginal outback town with people who attended an illegal gathering in Sydney's east.

Key points:

• Police reported no health order breaches at the funeral
  • Darryl Bugmy says the mourners at his brother's funeral are not responsible for the town's COVID-19 outbreak
  • Almost 40 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Wilcannia

Mr Hazzard linked the two groups over the weekend and warned that the behaviour of "selfish" people who deliberately failed to comply with health orders might cause other people's deaths.

The funeral in the town of Wilcannia was held before the lockdown of regional NSW was enacted and police have not reported any infringements from the event.

The NSW health advice is so inconsistent even the health minister has no fucking idea!

Gladys in deluxe bullshit mode again.

p*Fizzer Morrison in election mode and doing his best to even the field up by promoting the spread of the virus across the rest of the country.

The 80% both these idealogues spruik does not acknowledge that it must be across the entire population and country, not just the eligible or NSW.

*Pinocchio

1 hour ago, Frakka said:

Gladys in deluxe bullshit mode again.

p*Fizzer Morrison in election mode and doing his best to even the field up by promoting the spread of the virus across the rest of the country.

The 80% both these idealogues spruik does not acknowledge that it must be across the entire population and country, not just the eligible or NSW.

*Pinocchio

They are relying on the vaccine to save their arse.

A vaccine which Israel is showing to be not as effective as first thought.....

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

They are relying on the vaccine to save their arse.

A vaccine which Israel is showing to be not as effective as first thought.....

It doesn't matter. Eventually - and IMO much less than 6 months - we'll be living with a lot of covid cases that are the equivalent of a bad flu to the vaccinated and potentially fatal to the non-vaccinated, frail elderly and immuno-compromised.

We're all likely to get it, it's just a matter of time and how badly.

Get used to the idea. The hard borders will stop.

FKT

53 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

It doesn't matter. Eventually - and IMO much less than 6 months - we'll be living with a lot of covid cases that are the equivalent of a bad flu to the vaccinated and potentially fatal to the non-vaccinated, frail elderly and immuno-compromised.

We're all likely to get it, it's just a matter of time and how badly.

Get used to the idea. The hard borders will stop.

FKT

Agree totally.

Life expectancy in the US dropped by over a year in the US last year.

I don't expect it to be that dramatic in the future but life is no longer as it was.

Frakka,

Get a grip.

Neither elimination, nor 100% traceability are feasible in the long run.

Line up those neurones and think about a real alternative.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Frogman56 said:

Frakka,

Get a grip.

Neither elimination, nor 100% traceability are feasible in the long run.

Line up those neurones and think about a real alternative.

Of course they are feasible.

They just require will.

Really!

The vaccines suppress the existing variants. New versions can and will emerge. Because we live on a remote island, we have a controlled path to herd immunity.

Despite throwing several billion in costs at lockdowns and tracing, it is mildly successful at a national total (cases per day) of around 1,000. Which aint no pandemic...

A word from God Leader McGowan.

This morning the Prime Minister made a comment implying Western Australians were like cave people from a recent kids' movie. It was an odd thing to say.
I think everyone would rather just see the Commonwealth look beyond New South Wales and actually appreciate what life is like here in WA.
We currently have no restrictions within our State, a great quality of life, and a remarkably strong economy which is funding the relief efforts in other parts of the country.
West Aussies just want decisions that consider the circumstances of all States and Territories, not just Sydney.
  • Like 4

It does seem a little irresponsible for G&S to be trying to get the whole of Australia to "let it Rip" at 70-80%.

I get that their will be increasing cases in States that let it get out of control regardless of their Vax numbers.

It seems a little irresponsible to suggest that other States suck it up when the NT and QLD and WA, SA have such remote areas that there's no medical infrastructure out there