Only 2 new cases on the Western Front today...i reckon we won't get too many more coz there's no way this virus can survive the dry oven like conditions here in Perth metro...42C here atm and it's still going up...hottest xmas day ever for Perth i believe...and we're expecting 44C tomorrow :blink:

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack_sparrow

• ShortForBob

• LB 15

• The Dark Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The people who aren't on the news, the nurses, drs, police etc are fucking legends. The professionals deserve as much thanks as we can muster. And that starts with us helping them and gettin

Had our second AZ jab on Thursday. Rolled up at 7am to the doctors, people waiting in line out the front and a receptionist popping in and out like a yoyo keeping tabs on the number of people.  

No, they well and truely live off me (and others who work in the private world and earn enough to be a net contributor to government)

Posted Images

10 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Out of interest do you have an issue with her because she’s Stupid, Polish or a Women?

Stupid mainly but being a leftward as well. The polish bit is just for shits and giggles. I am very fond of women, my wife and sister particularly. The fat Polish fuck’s side kick Stephen Miles  is a cunt as well. 

2 hours ago, Alhadder said:

Only 2 new cases on the Western Front today...i reckon we won't get too many more coz there's no way this virus can survive the dry oven like conditions here in Perth metro...42C here atm and it's still going up...hottest xmas day ever for Perth i believe...and we're expecting 44C tomorrow :blink:

I am hearing you. Our cases are doubling daily and it is as hot as fuck. The anti vaxxers must be rimming rack other to catch it in this heat! Farming pisding down now as well. Might hit the sack soon- big day in sport tomorrow!

17 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I am hearing you. Our cases are doubling daily and it is as hot as fuck. The anti vaxxers must be rimming rack other to catch it in this heat! Farming pisding down now as well. Might hit the sack soon- big day in sport tomorrow!

We'll see what tomorrow brings. It's awful wet n windy here at present. Cyclone tracking says it'll cross the coast 60 miles south of us but heading straight for my weekender in Adelaide river.

Nice day in Melbourne after perfect day yesterday.

Good pressie score.

Liam gave me some perfume. Nina Ricci L'air du Temps.

Lauren gave me Haighs chocolates, some woven place mats, and music folder for scores.

Dinner, First course, salmon with dill and king prawns with mango.

Followed by cold eye fillet roast with tarragon mayo and potato salad.

Lauren made the sweets

Lemon butter pavlova 

Baclava, Kourabiedes and almond and pistachio biscotti. 

Liam and Levi did the dishes :)

Enjoying a quiet glass of left over Rose'

I just remembered, I’m still waiting on my 5 days after returning test results. 40 hours and nothing. Given the numbers crossing the borders and the size of the outbreak, it would be sensible to remove the arrival mandate. Better off focusing on the close contacts and symptomatic and getting results to them.

7 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I just remembered, I’m still waiting on my 5 days after returning test results. 40 hours and nothing. Given the numbers crossing the borders and the size of the outbreak, it would be sensible to remove the arrival mandate. Better off focusing on the close contacts and symptomatic and getting results to them.

It would be sensible to shut the borders.

I said a wave of unrestrained  Omicron would damage business. seems I was correct.

And no govenment support for these workers now.

Omicron COVID outbreak slays the festive season, as venues shutdown and staff go without pay

Craig Mack is suddenly looking at a frugal festive season ahead.

The 45-year-old part time bar staff at Sydney's Kinselas Hotel was due to work an eight-hour Boxing Day shift, when the entire three storey venue was to host a special takeover event.

Like many hospitality events, it has now been cancelled due to the substantial surge in COVID cases, with the highest numbers in NSW.

"I had that money mentally spent on a holiday — I haven't been on one of those for two years," he says. "I just feel lucky I didn't go on a spending spree."

But Mack — who is also an occasional drag queen host at the bar — isn't optimistic about other shifts. He was also due to do 10-hour shifts on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. 

My shifts are still on for a lit NYE weekend, but looking at these trends, I'll be amazed if that doesn't change," he says. "That'll be 24 hours of scheduled work at [higher] public holiday rates, gone. It ruins income I'd planned and will impact everything."

As this isn't a government-mandated lockdown, no financial support is available to cover the income gap.

It's those staff who rely on their hospitality wage for their main or full income Mack, who also works full time in digital marketing, feels most for.

"Once again hospitality and arts/entertainment are the first industries affected," he says. It's that awful deja vu feeling. There's bound to be a lot of hospo staff hoping Santa will bring their rent for Christmas."

'It feels devastating, soul destroying'

Venues nationwide are facing tough choices.

Matt Sinclair, owner of Noosa's Sum Yung Guys in Noosa, posted an emotional video in which he tearily announced the Queensland restaurant had no choice but to close in the busiest week of the year, less than two weeks into the state's border reopening.

The fully booked restaurant, due to serve 300 customers daily, saw a staff member contract COVID, plunging 25 fully vaccinated employees on the same shift into a week's isolation and forcing the Asian fusion eatery to close due to staff shortage.

Event promoter Dan Murphy has just cancelled three major upcoming events in a single day and refunded all guests.

The venue take-over events were to take place at The Burdekin on Boxing Day, The Beresford on January 3 and The Oxford Hotel imminently, all hosting up to 1,000 patrons.

His New Year's Day event I Remember House is, at this stage, still going ahead at The Imperial Hotel in Sydney and The Emerson in Melbourne on January 2, but Murphy's gut feeling is they'll be cancelled, given the trend.

"It feels devastating, soul destroying," he says. "That's DJs, drag queens, performers and staff all out of work."

The impact is brutal.

"You get in this really bad headspace, thinking, why am I even bothering to look forward to anything any more?" he says. "There's this feeling of helplessness, hopelessness and just wondering when is this ever going to end?"

It's coupled, he says, with an understanding things simply cannot proceed in the current rapidly changing environment

"It's not safe. Safety of guests and staff is paramount."

He does, however, have a message for NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet.

"It's pretty off to put all this responsibility back on us. He's supposed to lead us through this," Murphy says. "By saying we should take responsibility, he's shirking his own."

NSW has reinstated mask mandates and the one person per 2 square metre rule for indoor venues, which will further affect hospitality.

Murphy will lose unavoidable fixed costs: graphic design, photography, advertising and promotional costs associated with running large events, and won't earn any ticket revenue.

"Even though they haven't mandated everyone stay home, so many people are in self or mandated isolation, this is a lockdown in all but name," he says.

Difficult ethical decisions

Other pressures face hospitality staff since NSW fully opened up: whether to serve the unvaccinated.

Michael Hooper, 25, cancelled all his festive season shifts at Sydney's Oxford Hotel when unvaccinated patrons were let in from 15 December.

"My concern was I'll catch COVID and give it to my family over Christmas, or become a close contact and need to isolate alone," he says.

The bar staffer usually works 12-hour shifts five times a week and feels he has had to make the difficult decision between income and safety.

"It has turned my workplace into a high risk environment," he says. Initially worried he'd lose his job, his employer was understanding — but he's heard of cases surge amongst hospitality workers there.

"I'm now unsure I want to return in the new year," he says. "NSW case numbers are nuts."

'Wherever stays open will have the next outbreak'

Chippendale's Lord Gladstone Hotel has closed its doors till New Year's Eve, and will reassess nearer the time.

"We've just seen venues in our area — Chippendale, Redfern, Waterloo — shutting early as they've had COVID cases and staff getting sick," owner Benjamin Johnson says. "We made the difficult decision so as to protect staff and customers."

Leading up to the decision, many ticket holders were requesting refunds to a Boxing Day third-party event at the venue, making it unsustainable.

"Everyone's playing it very, very safe," Johnson says. "It felt irresponsible to be the only venue open in the area — we wanted to also show solidarity with other local venues. Everyone knows how hard we like to party this time of year, but wherever's left open to go is probably the next venue to have an outbreak."

He says they're waiting for the dust to settle with a view to reopening, but realises that dust — with surging cases — is only likely to worsen.

Stephen Ferguson, CEO of the National Hotels Association, says this is a tough time for hotels and their staff.

"We're hearing of many businesses closing due to having close contacts or cases on premises," he says. "A tragic outcome of that is that casual staff will go without wages and full time staff are likely to have to draw down on their annual leave."

What'll make this "tremendously difficult," he says, is the lost higher penalty rate wages staff were relying on.

The association will be pushing governments to offer support packages.

"This is due to the number of businesses closing down at short notice through no fault of their own, as a result of specific health orders not on the business itself, but on individuals within that business," he says.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-26/omicron-covid-lockdown-pubs-venues-close-down/100724074

20 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

I said a wave of unrestrained  Omicron would damage business. seems I was correct.

Omicron COVID outbreak slays the festive season, as venues shutdown and staff go without pay

Craig Mack is suddenly looking at a frugal festive season ahead.

The 45-year-old part time bar staff at Sydney's Kinselas Hotel was due to work an eight-hour Boxing Day shift, when the entire three storey venue was to host a special takeover event.

Like many hospitality events, it has now been cancelled due to the substantial surge in COVID cases, with the highest numbers in NSW.

"I had that money mentally spent on a holiday — I haven't been on one of those for two years," he says. "I just feel lucky I didn't go on a spending spree."

But Mack — who is also an occasional drag queen host at the bar — isn't optimistic about other shifts. He was also due to do 10-hour shifts on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. 

My shifts are still on for a lit NYE weekend, but looking at these trends, I'll be amazed if that doesn't change," he says. "That'll be 24 hours of scheduled work at [higher] public holiday rates, gone. It ruins income I'd planned and will impact everything."

As this isn't a government-mandated lockdown, no financial support is available to cover the income gap.

It's those staff who rely on their hospitality wage for their main or full income Mack, who also works full time in digital marketing, feels most for.

"Once again hospitality and arts/entertainment are the first industries affected," he says. It's that awful deja vu feeling. There's bound to be a lot of hospo staff hoping Santa will bring their rent for Christmas."

'It feels devastating, soul destroying'

Venues nationwide are facing tough choices.

Matt Sinclair, owner of Noosa's Sum Yung Guys in Noosa, posted an emotional video in which he tearily announced the Queensland restaurant had no choice but to close in the busiest week of the year, less than two weeks into the state's border reopening.

The fully booked restaurant, due to serve 300 customers daily, saw a staff member contract COVID, plunging 25 fully vaccinated employees on the same shift into a week's isolation and forcing the Asian fusion eatery to close due to staff shortage.

Event promoter Dan Murphy has just cancelled three major upcoming events in a single day and refunded all guests.

The venue take-over events were to take place at The Burdekin on Boxing Day, The Beresford on January 3 and The Oxford Hotel imminently, all hosting up to 1,000 patrons.

His New Year's Day event I Remember House is, at this stage, still going ahead at The Imperial Hotel in Sydney and The Emerson in Melbourne on January 2, but Murphy's gut feeling is they'll be cancelled, given the trend.

"It feels devastating, soul destroying," he says. "That's DJs, drag queens, performers and staff all out of work."

The impact is brutal.

"You get in this really bad headspace, thinking, why am I even bothering to look forward to anything any more?" he says. "There's this feeling of helplessness, hopelessness and just wondering when is this ever going to end?"

It's coupled, he says, with an understanding things simply cannot proceed in the current rapidly changing environment

"It's not safe. Safety of guests and staff is paramount."

He does, however, have a message for NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet.

"It's pretty off to put all this responsibility back on us. He's supposed to lead us through this," Murphy says. "By saying we should take responsibility, he's shirking his own."

NSW has reinstated mask mandates and the one person per 2 square metre rule for indoor venues, which will further affect hospitality.

Murphy will lose unavoidable fixed costs: graphic design, photography, advertising and promotional costs associated with running large events, and won't earn any ticket revenue.

"Even though they haven't mandated everyone stay home, so many people are in self or mandated isolation, this is a lockdown in all but name," he says.

Difficult ethical decisions

Other pressures face hospitality staff since NSW fully opened up: whether to serve the unvaccinated.

Michael Hooper, 25, cancelled all his festive season shifts at Sydney's Oxford Hotel when unvaccinated patrons were let in from 15 December.

"My concern was I'll catch COVID and give it to my family over Christmas, or become a close contact and need to isolate alone," he says.

The bar staffer usually works 12-hour shifts five times a week and feels he has had to make the difficult decision between income and safety.

"It has turned my workplace into a high risk environment," he says. Initially worried he'd lose his job, his employer was understanding — but he's heard of cases surge amongst hospitality workers there.

"I'm now unsure I want to return in the new year," he says. "NSW case numbers are nuts."

'Wherever stays open will have the next outbreak'

Chippendale's Lord Gladstone Hotel has closed its doors till New Year's Eve, and will reassess nearer the time.

"We've just seen venues in our area — Chippendale, Redfern, Waterloo — shutting early as they've had COVID cases and staff getting sick," owner Benjamin Johnson says. "We made the difficult decision so as to protect staff and customers."

Leading up to the decision, many ticket holders were requesting refunds to a Boxing Day third-party event at the venue, making it unsustainable.

"Everyone's playing it very, very safe," Johnson says. "It felt irresponsible to be the only venue open in the area — we wanted to also show solidarity with other local venues. Everyone knows how hard we like to party this time of year, but wherever's left open to go is probably the next venue to have an outbreak."

He says they're waiting for the dust to settle with a view to reopening, but realises that dust — with surging cases — is only likely to worsen.

Stephen Ferguson, CEO of the National Hotels Association, says this is a tough time for hotels and their staff.

"We're hearing of many businesses closing due to having close contacts or cases on premises," he says. "A tragic outcome of that is that casual staff will go without wages and full time staff are likely to have to draw down on their annual leave."

What'll make this "tremendously difficult," he says, is the lost higher penalty rate wages staff were relying on.

The association will be pushing governments to offer support packages.

"This is due to the number of businesses closing down at short notice through no fault of their own, as a result of specific health orders not on the business itself, but on individuals within that business," he says.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-26/omicron-covid-lockdown-pubs-venues-close-down/100724074

Personal responsibility means no government compensation.

Welcome to living with covid.

9 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Personal responsibility means no government compensation.

Welcome to living with covid.

And who among these "Front of house" workers I wonder hasn't already exhausted their bank accounts and paid leave? (if they had any to exhaust, being mostly casuals, thanks to business practice, most have none)

Removing the vaccination, masking  and numbers mandates was idiocy.

At the moment I'm guessing that most of the cases in NSW are among the under 50's, those out partying and clubbing.

And yesterday, they all visited their older rellos . New years hospital numbers will be interesting, I note NSW does not publish those ventilated anymore.

25 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

And who among these "Front of house" workers I wonder hasn't already exhausted their bank accounts and paid leave? (if they had any to exhaust, being mostly casuals, thanks to business practice, most have none)

Removing the vaccination, masking  and numbers mandates was idiocy.

At the moment I'm guessing that most of the cases in NSW are among the under 50's, those out partying and clubbing.

And yesterday, they all visited their older rellos . New years hospital numbers will be interesting, I note NSW does not publish those ventilated anymore.

The results of "personal responsibility" tend to be skewed by "fucking idiots".

"Learnings" need to be dramatic to be effective.

1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

Victims of Dans overuse of lockdowns will have used it all certainly.

1 minute ago, The Dark Knight said:

Victims of Dans overuse of lockdowns will have used it all certainly.

In the last 18 months I've met 3 couples that had to close down their Melbourne based businesses due to Dan's lockdowns. One employed an average of 40 staff & up to 60 in peak times. They're part of the exodus that has resulted in the reduction of the Vic population.

1 hour ago, 00seven said:

They're part of the exodus that has resulted in the reduction of the Vic population.

And that can only be a good thing. We don't need pikers, whiners or antivax, self absorbed covid deniers.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

And that can only be a good thing. We don't need pikers, whiners or antivax, self absorbed covid deniers.

The biggest anti-vaxxer co-hort in Australia is on the left political spectrum (according to most polling).

That said, you can be pro-Vaccine and anti mandates. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

A population divergence for Victoria is bad for the economy and the quality of life in the state. The state Govt. have gutted health in the state for decades and the population is paying for it.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

The biggest anti-vaxxer co-hort in Australia is on the left political spectrum (according to most polling).

That said, you can be pro-Vaccine and anti mandates. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

A population divergence for Victoria is bad for the economy and the quality of life in the state. The state Govt. have gutted health in the state for decades and the population is paying for it.

Got a link? 

Though I know equal numbers of Left/ Right people who've left for Qld.

One, pro vax and mandates, My favourite Chippie , but he was was retiring anyway

Two, my bestie, gone whacko antivax, center left.

Her husband, centre right, didn't want to go and is miserable up there.

And DK ..say no more.

But as non of these employed anyone, their exodus hardly matters.

18 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Got a link? 

Though I know equal numbers of Left/ Right people who've left for Qld.

One, pro vax and mandates, My favourite Chippie , but he was was retiring anyway

Two, my bestie, gone whacko antivax, center left.

Her husband, centre right, didn't want to go and is miserable up there.

And DK ..say no more.

But as non of these employed anyone, their exodus hardly matters.

That's half a mill gone from the Vic economy stupid. Typical you though, narrow minded & self centred.

1 minute ago, 00seven said:

That's half a mill gone from the Vic economy stupid. Typical you though, narrow minded & self centred.

Not really, they left their investments here :)

OTOH, that's 4 retired people added to Qld's health system and other services. 

I think it's a tad more complex than incomers and outgoers.

On 12/24/2021 at 8:01 AM, ShortForBob said:

If you spend less time on here and more time reading the news you might know that Pfizer was begging us to order more vaccines back in Feb? Morrisson ordered a lousy 10 Million and pushed the AZ (locally made and imported) until he couldn't. 

A perfectly reasonable decision since Aus was making enough Az doses for everyone and didn't need Pfizer except as a backup. It was in April that issues with Az were made public. The risk was tiny, but as a consequence Az is no longer available. I don't understand why someone who's had 2 Az shots can't have it as a booster (which includes me).

Pfizer is also about 5 times more expensive per dose despite getting millions (billions?) of public dollars to help fund the development its vaccine.

14 minutes ago, RobG said:

A perfectly reasonable decision since Aus was making enough Az doses for everyone and didn't need Pfizer except as a backup. It was in April that issues with Az were made public. The risk was tiny, but as a consequence Az is no longer available. I don't understand why someone who's had 2 Az shots can't have it as a booster (which includes me).

Pfizer is also about 5 times more expensive per dose despite getting millions (billions?) of public dollars to help fund the development its vaccine.

Totally agree. Morrison stuffed up the messaging. Ooops when you've also stuffed up the alternatives.

We should be pumping out AZ by the bucket load and distributing all over Oceana.

8 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

It would seem sensible to adopt sensible measures. But there seems to be very little commons sense among those making policy decisions,.

The current idea that even "casual contacts" must get a tested and quarantine until getting a negative result is idiotic. If someone who later tests positive walks into a small business, then everyone in the business, on being advised they're a casual contact, must immediately get tested and quarantine until they get a negative result. That generally takes 2 to 3 days during which the business will almost certainly be closed.

Only a couple of months ago, small businesses that were forced to shut down for 7 days or more due to a lockdown and suffered a 30% loss in revenue got a government handout. Seems those same businesses can now be shut down effectively the same as a lockdown for 2 or 3 days every time someone who later develops covid walks into their business.

If anyone in a small business tests positive, that's 14 day's isolation for the case and 7 days quarantine for everyone else who's vaccinated, or 14 days if not. Plus all visitors to the business for the last few days will be contacted as casual contacts and will have to get tested and quarantine until they get results.

On 10 December the Queensland 7 day positive test rate was 2 per day. On 25 December the 7 day average was 289 with 759 cases. Deaths? Zero. The last was in April, the one before that was in May.

I think the potential R0 factor for tests is several times that of the disease.

14 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Totally agree. Morrison stuffed up the messaging. Ooops when you've also stuffed up the alternatives.

We should be pumping out AZ by the bucket load and distributing all over Oceana.

We have. Look at how AstraZeneca crushed the curve in Fiji.

Keating in 93’ sold off CSL for an absolute Zac. People rate him as a good PM, but he privatised some companies that have put us at the mercy of oversea supply chains.

Bottom line, because we were virtually CV free (in comparison to Europe), we weren’t an important country for Pfizer, even when we signed the deal. A lot of geopolitics at play.

As a nation, we overstate our own importance.

Our biggest mistake was around 2012/2013 when Abbott (who was a health minister) suggested we needed to invest in our own vaccine making infrastructure. Labor basically dismissed this.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

Keating in 93’ sold off CSL for an absolute Zac. People rate him as a good PM, but he privatised some companies that have put us at the mercy of oversea supply chains.

Bottom line, because we were virtually CV free (in comparison to Europe), we weren’t an important country for Pfizer, even when we signed the deal. A lot of geopolitics at play.

Well it hardly matters now.

16 minutes ago, RobG said:

It would seem sensible to adopt sensible measures. But there seems to be very little commons sense among those making policy decisions,.

The current idea that even "casual contacts" must get a tested and quarantine until getting a negative result is idiotic. If someone who later tests positive walks into a small business, then everyone in the business, on being advised they're a casual contact, must immediately get tested and quarantine until they get a negative result. That generally takes 2 to 3 days during which the business will almost certainly be closed.

Only a couple of months ago, small businesses that were forced to shut down for 7 days or more due to a lockdown and suffered a 30% loss in revenue got a government handout. Seems those same businesses can now be shut down effectively the same as a lockdown for 2 or 3 days every time someone who later develops covid walks into their business.

If anyone in a small business tests positive, that's 14 day's isolation for the case and 7 days quarantine for everyone else who's vaccinated, or 14 days if not. Plus all visitors to the business for the last few days will be contacted as casual contacts and will have to get tested and quarantine until they get results.

On 10 December the Queensland 7 day positive test rate was 2 per day. On 25 December the 7 day average was 289 with 759 cases. Deaths? Zero. The last was in April, the one before that was in May.

I the first waves it made perfect sense. I had 7 tests this year, all returned results in 24 hours.

I had one casual contact. advised within 12 hours.

That's when numbers were small. Cant see the point in quarantining people when they've been unaware and out and about for 3 days unless they are positive .IF masks and check ins are enforced.<_<

1 hour ago, Mr. Coventry said:

Our biggest mistake was around 2012/2013 when Abbott (who was a health minister) suggested we needed to invest in our own vaccine making infrastructure. Labor basically dismissed this.

So what government owned vaccine maker has been successful making covid vaccines?

It's telling that Abbott didn't do something about vaccine manufacturing when PM. Maybe he was just bullshitting in 2013?

2 hours ago, RobG said:

Sensible measures would be linking compensation to isolation/quarantine.

But hey, personal responsibility.

27 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CVAC/

Seems the public can by shares so not government owned.

I'm gonna call bullshit.

For bonus points, can you tell the class how effective their covid vaccine is?

The German Govt. entirely funded the 2 chaps who started the company. For bonus points, they produce the Pfizer vaccine in their factories.

They can pretty much make any vaccine they want (depending on the Govt. contract).

10 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

The German Govt. entirely funded the 2 chaps who started the company. For bonus points, they produce the Pfizer vaccine in their factories.

They can pretty much make any vaccine they want (depending on the Govt. contract).

Whereas CSL was totally govt owned before Keating. That's what ETS is avoiding.

26 minutes ago, 00seven said:

Whereas CSL was totally govt owned before Keating. That's what ETS is avoiding.

So you disagree with Privatisation of Government assets? 

Wonders will never cease.

Qantas? Chiffley bought it, Keating sold it. But at least 51% must be Australian owned. So at least some Australians now own half an Airline. <_<

26 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Qantas? Chiffley bought it, Keating sold it. But at least 51% must be Australian owned. So at least some Australians now own half an Airline. <_<

You're an idiot, Fuck off. Qantas has SFA to do with CSL.

Your trolling is tiresome. Can you try to be adult?

12 hours ago, Mr. Coventry said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CureVac

Seems you're mistaken.

Publicly owned company with many different investors, from bill gates foundation to a German state owned bank.

59 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CureVac

Seems you're mistaken.

Publicly owned company with many different investors, from bill gates foundation to a German state owned bank.

Not mistaken at all.

The German Govt. funded their entire setup and infrastructure build. They also got permission from Pfizer to produce their vaccines via this company because of the deal the German Govt. signed with Pfizer in America.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

Not mistaken at all.

The German Govt. funded their entire setup and infrastructure build. They also got permission from Pfizer to produce their vaccines via this company because of the deal the German Govt. signed with Pfizer in America.

So like csl?

The government funded their set up and infrastructure build and placed an order with them to produce AZ?

And like csl, curavax is a public company. Win win!

12 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Depends what private assets.

With CSL, we have seen our national sovereignty is at risk by being at the mercy of overseas supply chains with vaccines. If CSL still had Govt. part ownership, that risk would be not as much.

Keating sold off CSL for a pittance. He was really a woeful treasurer. 

2 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

So like csl?

The government funded their set up and infrastructure build and placed an order with them to produce AZ?

And like csl, curavax is a public company. Win win!

The German Govt. has the buy back option with Curavax when the next pandemic occurs. No such thing exists with CSL.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

The German Govt. has the buy back option with Curavax when the next pandemic occurs. No such thing exists with CSL.

Buy back?

How can the German government buy back something you say they already own?

I've posted 2 cites which show your posts to be bullshit.

You've got nothing.

A friend on the Sunshine Coast has a partner who was a close contact just before Xmas. First test on day 1 was a 2.5 hour wait in queue, then 2 days to get the result. Initially he was told he only had to get the first test if negative, but then told he had to get tested on day 5 too, as did his partner.

Today was day 5. They lined up an hour before the testing facility opened, but were at the end of a very long queue. After waiting several hours, it was clear they weren't going to make the 12 noon close, so left. The partner is using a rapid antigen test instead and will let her work decide whether she can go back to work.

In their area, there are only two testing facilities, both private, open for 3 to 4 hours per day staffed by 3 people (one to take details, one do to the swab and one to put everything into a computer). Visitors from NSW and Vic must get tested on day 5. Naturally they've swarmed to Qld (as they do every year) and are swamping test facilities.

As far as I can tell, the people at the centres are working as fast as they can, but they're simply understaffed and not open for enough hours.

Two friends had coffee at a cafe, afterward both were contacted via the check–in app as casual contacts. One went for a test (couldn't get in that day so got tested the following day, quarantined for 2 days waiting for the result). The other ignored the message and carried on as usual.

The bottom line is that a lot of people who should be getting tested because they have symptoms or are contacts aren't because the centres are being crowded by tourists getting government mandated day 5 tests. Since they are mostly private test centres, I can only assume the government rebate doesn't make it profitable to be open longer hours or put on more staff.

13 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

It's not binary. Most infrastructure should stay in public ownership. Organisations operating as companies in a normal market should be private. Areas like infrastructure and independent certification should remain in government control if not government ownership.

Governments are hopeless at running businesses, so they shouldn't even try. But they can be very good at running large organisations for public benefit if the inefficiencies are kept to a reasonable level, which can happen provided there's good governance and openness.

31 minutes ago, RobG said:

A friend on the Sunshine Coast has a partner who was a close contact just before Xmas. First test on day 1 was a 2.5 hour wait in queue, then 2 days to get the result. Initially he was told he only had to get the first test if negative, but then told he had to get tested on day 5 too, as did his partner.

Today was day 5. They lined up an hour before the testing facility opened, but were at the end of a very long queue. After waiting several hours, it was clear they weren't going to make the 12 noon close, so left. The partner is using a rapid antigen test instead and will let her work decide whether she can go back to work.

In their area, there are only two testing facilities, both private, open for 3 to 4 hours per day staffed by 3 people (one to take details, one do to the swab and one to put everything into a computer). Visitors from NSW and Vic must get tested on day 5. Naturally they've swarmed to Qld (as they do every year) and are swamping test facilities.

As far as I can tell, the people at the centres are working as fast as they can, but they're simply understaffed and not open for enough hours.

Two friends had coffee at a cafe, afterward both were contacted via the check–in app as casual contacts. One went for a test (couldn't get in that day so got tested the following day, quarantined for 2 days waiting for the result). The other ignored the message and carried on as usual.

The bottom line is that a lot of people who should be getting tested because they have symptoms or are contacts aren't because the centres are being crowded by tourists getting government mandated day 5 tests. Since they are mostly private test centres, I can only assume the government rebate doesn't make it profitable to be open longer hours or put on more staff.

Yep, Anna has really fucked over East Coast testing with so many getting unnecessary pre-travel tests done in Vic & NSW and then all of them getting day 5 here. I went on Friday for my 5 day test. 2.5hours queuing and 55 hours wait for my negative. I feel sorry for people who were relying on their result to be able to work or do something important. Thankfully my testing station was efficient, gave me a QR code to preregister, then sending me an SMS with a QR code. Showed my QR code to someone in the queue who printed a sticker for the test vial. Job done.  

27 minutes ago, RobG said:

It's not binary. Most infrastructure should stay in public ownership. Organisations operating as companies in a normal market should be private. Areas like infrastructure and independent certification should remain in government control if not government ownership.

Governments are hopeless at running businesses, so they shouldn't even try. But they can be very good at running large organisations for public benefit if the inefficiencies are kept to a reasonable level, which can happen provided there's good governance and openness.

Good governance and openness applies to both.

Governments can run any size business/organisation. Size does not matter.

Both sides of government have jumped on the asset sale train. The feds currently encourage it with an assets recycling policy.

The idea is neither good nor bad.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Yep, Anna has really fucked over East Coast testing with so many getting unnecessary pre-travel tests done in Vic & NSW and then all of them getting day 5 here. I went on Friday for my 5 day test. 2.5hours queuing and 55 hours wait for my negative. I feel sorry for people who were relying on their result to be able to work or do something important. Thankfully my testing station was efficient, gave me a QR code to preregister, then sending me an SMS with a QR code. Showed my QR code to someone in the queue who printed a sticker for the test vial. Job done.  

Welcome to living with covid!

4 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Living with covid means getting rid of unnecessary testing like those mandated for cross border travel.

Unnecessary? You mean like following health advice?

Reality says you're wrong.

Meli has been telling you for weeks about the chaos that's currently occurring.

No one is surprised you haven't listened.

23 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

So, you get all your health advice from Meli? Good luck with that....

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Testing vaccinated people without symptoms is not the health advice.

It clogs up the testing infrastructure for people with symptoms.

It is a terrible allocation of resources.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

testing vaccinated people because they wanted to cross a state border or arrived into a state is not health advice.

You are a complete moron, but everyone here knows that. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

testing vaccinated people because they wanted to cross a state border or arrived into a state is not health advice.

"WA’s Chief Health Officer continues to closely monitor community transmission in other jurisdictions, and will advise the WA Government if any changes to our borders are required to keep Western Australians protected."

The only jurisdictions that do not follow health advice are the Feds and NSW.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

Testing vaccinated people without symptoms is not the health advice.

It clogs up the testing infrastructure for people with symptoms.

It is a terrible allocation of resources.

It's regularly done in the UK as part of their surveillance program.

Testing for tourism is no different.

The issue isn't testing requirements, the issue is capacity.

And that deserves criticism.

NSW needs to stop sooking. Other states have had outbreaks because NSW allowed infected people to cross borders.

The other states have every right to mitigate that risk.

30 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

NSW needs to stop sooking. Other states have had outbreaks because NSW allowed infected people to cross borders.

Maybe tourism testing should be private? Outside of the state system?

And if NSW hadn't lifted all their restrictions including those on the unvaccinated when they knew Omicron was coming, their testing sites wouldn't be choked and Qld wouldn't be swamped with positive numbers. Qld is half the population, we know smaller states are not going to cope with testing and hospitalisations as well as larger states can.

58 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

It is a virus.

Imagine thinking a politician can control a virus.

FYI QLD have started outbreaks in NT & Perth that caused lockdowns.

Victoria also started an outbreak in NSW last year.

NSW took the bulk of overseas returnees into Australia.

They took the risk and to this day, the QLD Govt. still owes them money for it.

Imagine supporting a state Govt. that made a mother of a premature kid isolate 14 days away from it’s baby because she was from NSW.

16 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

And if NSW hadn't lifted all their restrictions including those on the unvaccinated when they knew Omicron was coming, their testing sites wouldn't be choked and Qld wouldn't be swamped with positive numbers. Qld is half the population, we know smaller states are not going to cope with testing and hospitalisations as well as larger states can.

"Living with covid" is a fuck load different than "back to normal"

Most aren't smart enough to recognise that.

1 minute ago, Mr. Coventry said:

It is a virus.

"Imagine thinking a politician controls a virus"

Then why are we listening to politicians?

Knowledge regarding limiting the effects of viruses have been learnt over 100's of years. It's not difficult. Just stay the fuck away from vectors.

Meanwhile on the Western Front we've had 1 more case...that is linked to the existing cases....and get this

The Chief Medical Officer has recommended to the Premier that the mask mandate be extended to Tue 4 Jan and that New Year's Eve parties at licensed premises are basically cancelled coz patrons need to be seated, however it's OK for 1000's of people to go to the races for the Perth Cup on New Year's Day, appropriately masked of course. 

There has not been 1 CASE outside the group that attended the Perth Mess Hall event on Sat 18 Dec and the restrictions are extended one week. McClown and the new Health Minister taking some heat on this decision. They're being overly cautious coz apparently they haven't been able to contact 60 or so close contacts of the original case so spinning the line "we don't know if they virus is circulating out there in the community and we have the opportunity to kill the virus in it's tracks" to justify the extension...yet we're opening up on 5 Feb anyway so what's the f#&@ing point??!!!

Personally I think it's over-reach and will be interesting how much people comply from tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Mr. Coventry said:

It is a virus.

Victoria also started an outbreak in NSW last year.

Imagine supporting a state Govt. that made a mother of a premature kid isolate 14 days away from it’s baby because she was from NSW.

NSW in it's endless pursuit of opening it's economy has recklessly allowed both Delta to spread into Victoria faster than it had to, and now Omicron to the rest of the country. Their testing numbers are impressive. getting those results back in a timely fashion is not.

As for the latest cock ups with 400 positive results reported as negative and today, 900 results falsely reported negative. That's another 400 out and about spreading the virus and 900 maybe's.

For the life of me I can't see why Checking in and mask mandates indoors were lifted.

Allowing the unvaccinated to mingle in Night clubs etc was simply stupid, just to appease a few disgruntled clubbers and club owners.

Victoria's numbers are steady (so far). I wonder if leaving some of those mandates in place has something to do with it.

21 minutes ago, Alhadder said:

Meanwhile on the Western Front we've had 1 more case...that is linked to the existing cases....and get this

The Chief Medical Officer has recommended to the Premier that the mask mandate be extended to Tue 4 Jan and that New Year's Eve parties at licensed premises are basically cancelled coz patrons need to be seated, however it's OK for 1000's of people to go to the races for the Perth Cup on New Year's Day, appropriately masked of course. 

There has not been 1 CASE outside the group that attended the Perth Mess Hall event on Sat 18 Dec and the restrictions are extended one week. McClown and the new Health Minister taking some heat on this decision. They're being overly cautious coz apparently they haven't been able to contact 60 or so close contacts of the original case so spinning the line "we don't know if they virus is circulating out there in the community and we have the opportunity to kill the virus in it's tracks" to justify the extension...yet we're opening up on 5 Feb anyway so what's the f#&@ing point??!!!

Personally I think it's over-reach and will be interesting how much people comply from tomorrow.

Indoor situation V Outdoor?

As to the bolded bit, with the way this thing spreads it only takes 1 person to seed this fast. and given the source, and the season, that one out of 60 is probably out dancing every night and spread it to others who's gone out clubbing . 

5 Feb is 5 weeks away. But relax, McGowen isn't going to be able to stop this one without a 8 week lockdown. If then.

And your population isn't well drilled.

Good luck

23 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Indoor situation V Outdoor?

As to the bolded bit, with the way this thing spreads it only takes 1 person to seed this fast. and given the source, and the season, that one out of 60 is probably out dancing every night and spread it to others who's gone out clubbing . 

5 Feb is 5 weeks away. But relax, McGowen isn't going to be able to stop this one without a 8 week lockdown. If then.

And your population isn't well drilled.

Good luck

Meli the original case had Delta, not Omicron. I don't have a problem with the restrictions put in place last Thursday however the extension of them today to next Tuesday is over-reach imo...and I know I'm not alone.

Meanwhile Bay 13 has a new hero...Scott Boland coz he just took 2 wickets in his 1st over of the English 2nd innings and England are 4 down for not much and Root will be lucky to survive this last Cummings over of the day.

59 minutes ago, Alhadder said:

You've had the best of this compared to the rest of the country.

Do you really want to change tack now?

McGowan has been extremely cautious, arguably over cautious.

It's worked.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Alhadder said:

Meli the original case had Delta, not Omicron. I don't have a problem with the restrictions put in place last Thursday however the extension of them today to next Tuesday is over-reach imo...and I know I'm not alone.

Meli will blindly excuse any action by the left side of politics. 

2 minutes ago, Alhadder said:

Meanwhile Bay 13 has a new hero...Scott Boland coz he just took 2 wickets in his 1st over of the English 2nd innings and England are 4 down for not much and Root will be lucky to survive this last Cummings over of the day.

Yeah, I realised it's Delta you got after posting.

Still, in a way, you should be grateful you have a premier who's not afraid to flip flop and not afraid to make unpopular decisions.

NSW is doing what every state will end up having to do.

Vic will follow suit.

The Omicron variant is good news. It is more mild and it points to the pandemic becoming an endemic.

The left still can’t grasp this.

Once it hits Perth, and it will, people will realise that McGowan wasted 2 years as being the most isolated city in the world.

WA has the lowest population to ICU ratio in Australia.

Apparently Labor are meant to be the party for health...

36 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

Once it hits Perth, and it will, people will realise that McGowan wasted 2 years as being the most isolated city in the world.

WA has the lowest population to ICU ratio in Australia.

Apparently Labor are meant to be the party for health...

Our Health system is under severe pressure atm and we haven't had a proper Covid outbreak in the 21 months of this pandemic...and it's not miraculously going to be fixed in next 6-8 weeks once we open up and let this thing rip aka SA

Our Health system is under severe pressure atm and we haven't had a proper Covid outbreak in the 21 months of this pandemic...and it's not miraculously going to be fixed in next 6-8 weeks once we open up and let this thing rip aka SA

It really isn’t.

In NSW, 52 people are in ICU.

The Omicron wave is nothing compared to the Delta wave in terms of hospital admissions.

McGowan has had 18 months to build up the ICU capability and he has done nothing.

D6B8B544-ABB6-47CD-86D7-5CB8061D8150.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Mr. Coventry said:

It really isn’t.

In NSW, 52 people are in ICU.

The Omicron wave is nothing compared to the Delta wave in terms of hospital admissions.

McGowan has had 18 months to build up the ICU capability and he has done nothing.

D6B8B544-ABB6-47CD-86D7-5CB8061D8150.jpeg

18 months to build infrastructure and employ 100's more staff.

What the fuck has McGowan been doing!!!!

How may health workers are furloughed in NSW?

How many health workers has WA in total?

5 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Victoria brought in staff from overseas (that had ICU expertise) to build up it’s ICU capability.

McGowan said the same thing but that is an empty promise he has made.

The health system in WA already has record ramping levels.

Perth is a sitting duck once it gets in (and it will).

Just now, Mr. Coventry said:

Victoria brought in staff from overseas (that had ICU expertise) to build up it’s ICU capability.

McGowan said the same thing but that is an empty promise he has made.

The health system in WA already has record ramping levels.

Perth is a sitting duck once it gets in (and it will).

No doubt WA will be fucked. All the small population states are going to be fucked.

Blaming the current state governments for systematic problems in their health systems after the decision to let it rip is just partisan stupidity.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

WTF has McGowan been doing? Building a $5bn surplus then saying he'll invest extra $1.8bn in health to create an extra 400 beds with nursing staff and docs to man them but recruitment is an issue when we have a hard border with EVERYWHERE 

1 minute ago, Alhadder said:

WTF has McGowan been doing? Building a $5bn surplus then saying he'll invest extra $1.8bn in health to create an extra 400 beds with nursing staff and docs to man them but recruitment is an issue when we have a hard border with EVERYWHERE 

So you think he can click his fingers and have a hospital ready too?

And he should shorten nursing courses as well?

You want to live in a glorified country town with a low population, funded by the GST of the proper states, what the fuck do you expect?

Your health system problems are years old, don't blame the fucker who stress tests it, blame all the fuckers who underfunded it.

Politics aside. It can't be easy to build appropriate infrastructure, health or otherwise in a state the size of WA with the population mostly condensed into Perth. And in this world pandemic, how does WA recruit ICU staff when they can go anywhere in the world.

400 beds will go nowhere.

Same goes for other smaller states. 

It's up to Vic and NSW to take up the slack, though medivac-ing patients from Perth To melbourne or Sydney could be a problem.

The feds should showing some national leadership and be planning military assistance to evacuate patients from hard to access areas to underutilised hospitals.