Sign in to follow this  
tp#12

Double Handed - Gold Coast and Syd - Hob

Good evening all

Is anyone planning on doing the double handed Syd to Hob? I was on a Brisbane to Gladstone (fully crewed) boat but that's been kicked into touch but I've been super curious about the double handed stuff that's been announced.

Is anyone doing any double handed racing in Qld?

Is anyone planning the double handed Syd to Hob?

Cheers,

TP

Really? No anarchists were interested in double handing the Syd - Hob?

Not this year, but part of a longer plan. 

Would love to, but it is almost halfway around the world from here. If we could just win the lottery without playing...

• Like 1

Fair enough. I'm thinking I might just stick to the local racing this year and think about the offshore and double handed stuff next year.

I did the last Oz - NZ 2 handed race. Probably a big enough time gap to get out on the East Coast again.

Any Australian owners thinking about it and could put up with a Kiwi crew PM me.

Social Distancing should be ok......

• Like 1

Good on you Jono . I reckon NZ boats will be common in the 2H Div . Probably be at the pointy end too . Not cheap tho , fair whack of Time needed off work etc 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tp#12 said:

Will they allow a Mini 650 for double handing?

In a word, no.

"A boat shall: (a) be single hulled; (b) have a: (i) Hull Length (as defined in The Equipment Rules of Sailing of World Sailing and referred to in IRC as “LH” and ORC / IMS as “LOA”) not more than 30.48 metres and not less than 9.00 metres; and (ii) a Waterline Length (as defined in The Equipment Rules of Sailing) not less than 7.3 metres. (c) comply with AS Special Regulations Part 1 for Race Category 1."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

In a word, no.

"A boat shall: (a) be single hulled; (b) have a: (i) Hull Length (as defined in The Equipment Rules of Sailing of World Sailing and referred to in IRC as “LH” and ORC / IMS as “LOA”) not more than 30.48 metres and not less than 9.00 metres; and (ii) a Waterline Length (as defined in The Equipment Rules of Sailing) not less than 7.3 metres. (c) comply with AS Special Regulations Part 1 for Race Category 1."

Well they suck balls.

Was that out of special regs btw?

Can do Transat but not the Syd-Hob ... Can't have racing getting THAT cheap!

I had a hard on for a mini for about a bottle of wine there... dashed

16 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

In a word, no.

Ok, I've crashed hard back to reality now ... the ORC / IMS definition of LOA:

"B6.2     LOA      shall be the length overall of a yacht including the whole hull, excluding any spars or projections fixed to the hull such as chainplates, bowsprits, boomkins, pulpits, etc., and as measured between:
          a)  a point forward being the forwardmost of the following points:

i)the stem of the yacht, whether carried above the deck level or not, or

ii)the bulwarks of the yacht where these are extended above the stem.

b) a point aft, being the extreme after end of the hull and bulwarks or taffrail of the yacht whether at,above, or below deck level. Rubbing strakes at the stern will be included. If a rudder and/or a push-pit extend abaft this point, neither one nor the other will be included."

So actually really does need to be a 9m boat, damn it. I didn't want to go that big.

I really just want a mini!

So, it's either forget doing some of the decent offshore races or maybe just go for a class 950?

Anyone sailed a class 950?

There are plenty of quick little 9+ meter boats... but then there are the stability rules. I've just bought a 31' boat with the hope of doing a Hobart in the next few years... first issue seems to be getting insurance!

15 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

There are plenty of quick little 9+ meter boats... but then there are the stability rules. I've just bought a 31' boat with the hope of doing a Hobart in the next few years... first issue seems to be getting insurance!

Oooh, new toy. What did you get? You planning the double handed Syd-Hob?

I'm wanting a boat that can be used for single and double handing and something that obviously meets the stability guidelines. I know the 950s do but I'm pretty ignorant of what else could be had?

What's the issue with insurance? Is it "You want to do WHAT with it?"

Haven't even got basic cover yet, and haven't been able to contact several companies over the easter break... Planning to start with a few of the Tassie races over the next couple of years (Bruny and Maria Islands, and Launie to Hobart) to see how the short handed thing goes, but she's s'posed to pass cat 1 stability, so S2H is the goal! I Want to thank the SA contributes who've offered advice while I was researching her. https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/mount-gay-30-lyons-design-brand-new-sails-huge-price-reduction/235723

That's awesome, what a great boat. I remember seeing Prion online a wee while ago when I was searching around and thought she looked a good boat.

You've done well, pour yourself a beer.

• Like 1