Stereo into mono, old school receiver stuff

Here is the situation.

I have a 1980's vintage Sansui receiver driving a nice pair of B&W's out in the shop, a center channel speaker came with them. I'm using that in the small office, it's plenty for the space.

Only problem is the single input for the center channel which gives me one channel in the office. Obvious answer is run it mono, but for some reason when I switch to mono there's nothing from any speaker. I don't really want to dig into the relic. Even if it ran mono I don't want to switch it all the time.

Is it possible to somehow combine the right and left channel to run a center channel speaker? I know enough to not hook up both Rand L to the single speaker input.

Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

so you're running the shop and office off of the sansui?    when you go mono are you getting sound in the shop?  if yes, is there a speaker selector know somewhere for A,B and A+B ?

Nothing on mono on either A or B, speaker selector is a button for each one, on off.

No sound when switched to mono may be the result of dirty switch contacts (40 years worth) which can remedied with some contact spray. Subwoofer crossovers often mix stereo down to mono but that would kill your frequency response. Cheapest route may be to find a matching center speaker.

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

An 80's Sansui with outputs for only one set of stereo speakers?

No, 

Speaker A runs the mains in the shop.

Speaker B runs a single center channel in the office, it is on right channel only since it has one set of connectors.

So is it possible to some how combine speaker B right channel and left channel into one channel? To run a single speaker.

Maybe a short would help. Tomorrow 

In the "shop" for how long? Anecdotal experience suggests that you remove top or bottom cover and spray "contact cleaner" at the stereo/mono switch while pushing/turning the switch.  Repeat. I cured my old "garage" Marantz that way.

13 minutes ago, warbird said:

In the "shop" for how long? Anecdotal experience suggests that you remove top or bottom cover and spray "contact cleaner" at the stereo/mono switch while pushing/turning the switch.  Repeat. I cured my old "garage" Marantz that way.

Not in the shop, office inside shop. I got it used a little while ago. 

I'll try the contact cleaner. 

Really wish I still had my Yamaha CR1040 from the late 70's.

Fix the MONO/STEREO switch. I looked at my Sansui schematic. Running  a generic RCA-RCA cable between the REC OUT (TAPE OUT) connectors will do the same thing. The switch just shorts R & L together. Can't hurt to try. To properly combine at the speaker outputs you really need some weird kind of a transformer.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, bmiller said:

No, 

Speaker A runs the mains in the shop.

Speaker B runs a single center channel in the office, it is on right channel only since it has one set of connectors.

So is it possible to some how combine speaker B right channel and left channel into one channel? To run a single speaker.

Maybe a short would help. Tomorrow 

why don't you just buy a second speaker...   or a cheap pair ?

Way back when we hooked up a Girrard turntable to two Fender twin reverb amps and blasted it with some Roy Buchanon...  the police we knocking on the door in about 30 minutes...  A while later we tried it again at a Sunday afternoon barn party but this time with two Marshall 440 amps with the speaker set up....  this time we start with the Alman Bros... it distorted like hell after level five...  but on that set up.. level 5 was plenty

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

why don't you just buy a second speaker...   or a cheap pair ?

I'm headed that way.

Was just trying to use what I had on hand, and cheap. 

41 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I found these just down the road aways. The extra zero is a turn off though.

https://rockies.craigslist.org/ele/d/crestone-bw-705-speakers-near-mint/7072319737.htm