eight bells for Tematai Tevaearai

I've had a Hinano golf shirt for about 20 odd years now. It's stained, frayed and stretched into a shapeless blob, but  her embroidered figure, looking almost brand new, is still sitting there on the left breast. I can't bring myself to throw it in the rag bin. It just takes me there.

7 hours ago, LAZY LIGHTNING II said:

Walking out the local store in the islands with a Hinano in one hand and a baguette in the other, life was good. 

30 minutes ago, longy said:

The only model with four toes!!

I've got her beat Longy,,,,,

11 hours ago, Willin' said:

I've had a Hinano golf shirt for about 20 odd years now. It's stained, frayed and stretched into a shapeless blob, but  her embroidered figure, looking almost brand new, is still sitting there on the left breast. I can't bring myself to throw it in the rag bin. It just takes me there.

I have a coffee mug.

12 hours ago, LAZY LIGHTNING II said:

Walking out the local store in the islands with a Hinano in one hand and a baguette in the other, life was good. 

I'd bought a sammy and a couple of cold beers at a shop one day and sat down on the curb at an intersection about a block in from the harbor in Papeete to enjoy  lunch with several other locals sitting there. It's a busy noon day and there are lots of people walking by and busy car traffic. Maybe 5 or 6 locals  sitting on the curb, me being the only non local. I don't know any of them.

I'd finished the first beer and set the empty can down on the curb and continued to eat my sandwich. A gust of breeze happened to blow the can into the gutter just as I was taking a bite of my sammy and it rolled noisily down the gutter. A grizzled old lady got up from a few feet away, came over to me, bent down and got almost nose to nose with me and spoke very loudly and aggressively into my face. Not a clue what she was talking about, I'm guessing it was the local dialect as there were no French words I recognized but she seemed very angry at me. I looked around and everyone has stopped what they're doing and are watching us, but no one is offering to interpret.

I took a guess, got up and picked up the beer can and threw it in the trash can behind me, sat back down, looked up at her and asked 'OK?' She gave me the briefest nod, sat back down on the curb and every one went back to talking, eating and drinking. No one else said a word and when I'd finished my sandwich and second beer I got up and left and no one even seemed to notice me.

I don't know why that moment has stuck with me after all these years except that maybe it showed the pride even the street people took in their island. The picture of Tematai Tevaearai reminded me of that little old lady.

"Walking out the local store in the islands with a Hinano in one hand and a baguette in the other, life was good. 

& while we're at it: mourne the way we cruised FP - because it is gone for good!

• Downvote 1

I mourn her passing.

One of my most prized posessions is an Hinano cap, generously provided by an Italian member of this group whose son traveled there and purchased and gifted it to me. I tragically lost (aged out) a backup drive that held my correspondence, but I salute him! I had lost my original in a gust on a boisterous day between Bora-Bora and Huahine in FP.

Not surprisingly, when I get coastal, she travels with me and I get a lot of compliments, but it no longer travels offshore.

The beer is meh, but it's wet and cold and consumed in Paradise. That makes it perfect.

Parahi, Tematai.