So, Merlin is expressing interest. And rumor has it there will be an OEX representative on the line. Who's next?

• Like 1
On 4/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

So, Merlin is expressing interest. And rumor has it there will be an OEX representative on the line. Who's next?

We're in. Entered, committed, good to go. Cuz...

If you have Merlin and don't do Transpac...

You go to hell.

2019_TRANSPAC_FINISH_CROP.jpg

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Some.Rando said:

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

Show up to boat maintenance days, etc.  Help to coordinate crew.

Be indispensable to the owner. 

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.

• Like 6

Transpac rides are usually the culmination of at least a two year program committment. Owners that want to make that big of an investment want a team that they have confidence in. That comes with time working together offshore in all conditions. And, there are only so many events on the offshore calendar. I did 20 years of offshore before I got my first Transpac finish. And yes, I did get my third Transpac ride aboard Rag Time by rubbing elbows at a post race party. But, that's a whole nother story. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.

Strangely I was picked up by the boat I did my 1st Hobart on while wearing a coffee filter on my head in a bar!

That said between then and being selected to crew offshore I did ALL of the things you suggest (except bring cookies, I found beer a better bet).

Long & the short of it is be around the boats doing what you want to do and get respected for what you do on other boats & you will get the offer.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Strangely I was picked up by the boat I did my 1st Hobart on while wearing a coffee filter on my head in a bar!

That said between then and being selected to crew offshore I did ALL of the things you suggest (except bring cookies, I found beer a better bet).

Long & the short of it is be around the boats doing what you want to do and get respected for what you do on other boats & you will get the offer.

Weren't you picked up as a grinder?  you could almost argue having the filter on your head is why you got the ride.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I think all those things said in the post above and others are true but the reality is there are only so many boats that are going to do Tpac, let alone more than one.  Finding that boat and being part of it is really the bigger challenge.  More interested folks than spaces.   There's always the random connections that were mentioned previously.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Some.Rando said:

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 

That is one of the biggest races in the world and on a lot of bucket lists, I did it last year. I have owned and crewed on boats for 30 years and built up a rep for being a good and dependable crew member that could work all positions on the boat. When asked I committed to putting a year with the boat prior to the race. Lots of boat prep projects, cleaning, loaning equipment and doing all local and offshore races to practice with race crew. I also did the three day delivery to Long Beach plus even more prep when we got there. Also was responsible for provisioning and making freezer meals which thank you to Gladstones restaurant deep froze for us prior to the race. Latitude is a great magazine and the crew party will get you on local beer can and YRA races. Transpac 2019 was a lifetime highlight and Im going to do it again!!!!!

stale_mini_6ee6.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Some.Rando said:

The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat has been the Olson 30 and those are relatively affordable, but many kinds of boats have done the race, from Cal 20s to Open 60s.

Do the progression of SSS races, which is designed to prepare you.  Do some Bay races, then the Singlehanded Farallones, then the LongPac.  Go to the seminars, ask a bunch of questions, get help with your boat, and before long you'll be racing a sailboat to Hawaii.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, BobJ said:

The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat has been the Olson 30 and those are relatively affordable, but many kinds of boats have done the race, from Cal 20s to Open 60s.

Do the progression of SSS races, which is designed to prepare you.  Do some Bay races, then the Singlehanded Farallones, then the LongPac.  Go to the seminars, ask a bunch of questions, get help with your boat, and before long you'll be racing a sailboat to Hawaii.

or if you aren't insane/and/or have at least one friend, buy a small well built boat, and do the Pac Cup double handed.

• Like 4
On 4/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, stinky said:

or if you aren't insane/and/or have at least one friend, buy a small well built boat, and do the Pac Cup double handed.

I've had my eye on a lovely Olson 40 not too far from where I live. Does anyone here have any experience with these? 

25 minutes ago, Some.Rando said:

I've had my eye on a lovely Olson 40 not too far from where I live. Does anyone here have any experience with these? 

would be a weapon for cal coastal and Hawaii races.

• Like 1

That boat looks well preserved & un-modified from birth (no spare holes visible). She has not raced T-pac, in '83 (?) when O-40's & SC-40's were new and a bunch did T-Pac, the race committee required the addition of a ring frame in the bow after a SC had to hull/deck joint fail racing the Santa Barbera Island (?) race. I don't know if that is still a requirement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 7:11 PM, ExOmo said:

I think all those things said in the post above and others are true but the reality is there are only so many boats that are going to do Tpac, let alone more than one.  Finding that boat and being part of it is really the bigger challenge.  More interested folks than spaces.   There's always the random connections that were mentioned previously.

Or you can take the Steve Forbes route, be born into a rich family and don't piss off your elders,  Then you can buy your own racer and audition the people who want to go with you.

• Like 3
On 4/15/2020 at 2:29 PM, longy said:

That boat looks well preserved & un-modified from birth (no spare holes visible). She has not raced T-pac, in '83 (?) when O-40's & SC-40's were new and a bunch did T-Pac, the race committee required the addition of a ring frame in the bow after a SC had to hull/deck joint fail racing the Santa Barbera Island (?) race. I don't know if that is still a requirement.

Was racing an SC 40, new in the PNW Straits of Georgia race w/ Bobbo Larson who worked w/ Bill Lee when the hull started oil canning up forward about 6-9", had to convince the owner we should stop as it was blowing a hoolie and getting dark and we didn't want to swim home.  They added a full length stringer and the boat crossed oceans without a problem.

3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Or you can take the Steve Forbes route, be born into a rich family and don't piss off your elders,  Then you can buy your own racer and audition the people who want to go with you.

Always recommended

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Some.Rando said:

I'm thinking that volunteering for the return trip is my best bet. I'll participate in the race when I get my own boat. 

Hey, anyone looking for crew for the return trip?

Possibly. We had 3 lined up for the return this year, they all expressed a willingness to do TPac return (Ending in SF) but a 4th would be nice. One of the current crew is a 100ton, and the other 2 have done Hawaii together on a smaller lightweight.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:28 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

Transpac rides are usually the culmination of at least a two year program committment. Owners that want to make that big of an investment want a team that they have confidence in. That comes with time working together offshore in all conditions. And, there are only so many events on the offshore calendar. I did 20 years of offshore before I got my first Transpac finish. And yes, I did get my third Transpac ride aboard Rag Time by rubbing elbows at a post race party. But, that's a whole nother story. 

So...that's what you were rubbing!

So, we are eight months out and have 44 registered entries. We should have a vaccine generally available before the race. So, hopefully we'll be able to have at least some of the parties. But, regardless the competition looks incredible so far. 

I for one can't wait!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m no longer planning on participating as odds are I’d be up for the vaccine either right before or in the weeks following the start. The Hobart gave a good example of the risks associated with a planning for an logistics intensive race without full confidence that the virus won’t shut it down. 

Being America, I half expect it to go forward but in an unsafe manner with the level of behavior seen by the yacht club regulars around here. 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:06 AM, stinky said:

anyone want to put odds on this summers Transpac happening? 

Right to travel between American states is constitutionally guaranteed (unlike Australia) and I just don't think this will be voluntarily cancelled.

Port Huron to Mackinac race (~250 miles) went on this year after the organizing club put out some ridiculous recommendations like everyone quarantine for two weeks before hand and sleep on deck.  Chicago to Mackinac race was cancelled because the marinas in Chicago are largely government owned and they didn't put the boats in the water.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Alberta said:

Being America, I half expect it to go forward but in an unsafe manner with the level of behavior seen by the yacht club regulars around here. 

Why stop now

Hawaii had an opportunity to hold it back.... i assume the reason they didn't was due to the statement below... ? 

18 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Right to travel between American states is constitutionally guaranteed (unlike Australia) and I just don't think this will be voluntarily cancelled.

And you don't fuck with an American's constitutional rights....... right...?

I'd love to do this race

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Why stop now

Hawaii had an opportunity to hold it back.... i assume the reason they didn't was due to the statement below... ? 

And you don't fuck with an American's constitutional rights....... right...?

Hawaii could have shut down the publicly owned airports.  That would have kept out all but sailors and ultra rich people with private jets/airports.

They absolutely can not tell other Americans not to come to Hawaii.

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. The post race festivities have been curtailed. But, the racing itself has gone on. The TPYC board plans to consult with Hoag Hospital and abide by all the directives of the local and Federal authorities. But, it's up to the owner's and their crew to decide what is best for them. So far we have 49 registered entrants and we are seven months out. No one has a crystal ball. But, all indications are that we will have a race and it will be well attended.

10 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. The post race festivities have been curtailed. But, the racing itself has gone on. The TPYC board plans to consult with Hoag Hospital and abide by all the directives of the local and Federal authorities. But, it's up to the owner's and their crew to decide what is best for them. So far we have 49 registered entrants and we are seven months out. No one has a crystal ball. But, all indications are that we will have a race and it will be well attended.

And it's shit like this that is the reason why ambulances in LA county are no longer bringing people with stopped hearts to hospitals because the hospitals are overwhelmed

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

And it's shit like this that is the reason why ambulances in LA county are no longer bringing people with stopped hearts to hospitals because the hospitals are overwhelmed

Sad but by looking at examples around the globe..... it's true

5 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

We now know when we rely on the masses to do the right thing, or self isolate, they selfishly don't.

It’s been incredibly frustrating, and ultimately pushed me to give up on Transpac this year, to see how many SoCal yachties are ignoring public health and sailing fully crewed, mixing households, not wearing masks even on the dock, etc.

We made the call to cancel our participation as we've not been able to sail as a team since, well, a year ago, and likely wont get to sail together until, when, April?

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. 

How do you comply with the 6ft distancing with masks?   Can't see how that is possible.

The stay at home orders are pretty specific in CA regarding outdoor exercise, etc.   It is also clear about 6ft separation which I can't and don't see (look at your friends that are still racing facebook posts, etc.) being abided by.   Sad.   It looks like another year without being able to hang out close with friends and competitors because asshats continue to break the rules.   I hope you have enjoyed your sailing.....   you are ruining it for those of us that complied.   

• Like 1
13 hours ago, solosailor said:

How do you comply with the 6ft distancing with masks?   Can't see how that is possible.

The stay at home orders are pretty specific in CA regarding outdoor exercise, etc.   It is also clear about 6ft separation which I can't and don't see (look at your friends that are still racing facebook posts, etc.) being abided by.   Sad.   It looks like another year without being able to hang out close with friends and competitors because asshats continue to break the rules.   I hope you have enjoyed your sailing.....   you are ruining it for those of us that complied.   

double hand, driver and pit/bow

• 2 weeks later...

The way it's going, TPac will most likely have a big number of drop outs this year. For some veteran boats, I'm sure they'll still go if the State of Hawaii eases their quarantine rules.

FYI - Newport to Cabo Race is in March, this event currently has 23 entries and growing. It will be interesting to see if they continue forward or not.

20 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

The way it's going, TPac will most likely have a big number of drop outs this year. For some veteran boats, I'm sure they'll still go if the State of Hawaii eases their quarantine rules.

FYI - Newport to Cabo Race is in March, this event currently has 23 entries and growing. It will be interesting to see if they continue forward or not.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out early in the year.  My other sport is cycling and while I no longer race bikes I do know that at the moment there is absolutely no amateur bike racing going on in SoCal.  Other events: Sea Otter has been pushed back to October, Rock Cobbler has been postponed along with many other endurance events.

I was chatting with the boat captain for one of the TP 52's entered in cabo. They are planning to get tested before leaving SF and then travel down by bus (bubble) from SF to a house in NPB then board the boat the next day and race!

I wonder how many other teams are taking those precautions.

TPYC is working with an expert Virologist to determine the best precautions to put in place. Cabo in March is a lot closer coming up. But, I believe there will be testing required before the start and probably upon arrival in Cabo. The current test can get you results in 15 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the way its going it will be a far from normal race if it even happens? so next up its Pac cup 2022

• 1 month later...

Rumors I hear from people directly involved with running the race are that the odds of a race happening are less than 50/50, but certainly better than 0. Like last year at Pac Cup and Sydney - Hobart, etc, people are all still planning on it and hoping, but there are some big hurdles. 

There are a lot of travel restrictions which hinder crew movement and movement of loved ones. A lot of boats can't legally do full-crew practices. There are less tune up races, etc etc. 

A lot of boats have already pulled the plug or will likely pull the plug. Also, the parties almost certainly won't be happening, which makes the entire race a lot less economically viable. 

I love the Transpac. Have sailed in 3 of the last 5 and done media or deliveries of some sort in the last 5. Will be sad, but I already cancelled my commitments towards the race this year for a variety of reasons, the last of which being that the owner of my delivery whip pulled out. Pac Cup 2022 looks a much better option at this point. 

6 hours ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Rumors I hear from people directly involved with running the race are that the odds of a race happening are less than 50/50, but certainly better than 0. Like last year at Pac Cup and Sydney - Hobart, etc, people are all still planning on it and hoping, but there are some big hurdles. 

There are a lot of travel restrictions which hinder crew movement and movement of loved ones. A lot of boats can't legally do full-crew practices. There are less tune up races, etc etc. 

A lot of boats have already pulled the plug or will likely pull the plug. Also, the parties almost certainly won't be happening, which makes the entire race a lot less economically viable. 

I love the Transpac. Have sailed in 3 of the last 5 and done media or deliveries of some sort in the last 5. Will be sad, but I already cancelled my commitments towards the race this year for a variety of reasons, the last of which being that the owner of my delivery whip pulled out. Pac Cup 2022 looks a much better option at this point. 

Given the state of our program we had to not even enter. But PacCup 2022 held over our entry from 2020, which is good as it’s filling up fast. 

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Given the state of our program we had to not even enter. But PacCup 2022 held over our entry from 2020, which is good as it’s filling up fast. 

Same as the boat I was going to deliver. They are doing Pac Cup, which is already claiming something like 78 entries!!!

Over 80 now.  3 more DH boats signed up, bringing the total DH fleet to 26!!!  There are also well over 20 boats from the PNW, which is crazy.  At some point they are going to have start a waitlist.  I believe they only have space for something like 75 boats at KYC.  They'll let it go over that a bit as they know there will be attrition, but we are still 16 months out and I don't see them letting it go over 100.  

I'd be much more reassured by the Transpac press releases if they weren't straight up cheerleading.

I'm sure that they have thoughtful, well reasoned go/no go criteria. If they could share what metrics they're looking at, that would be much more helpful than a blanket "for sure it's going on", when we're hearing that behind closed doors they think there's a less than a 50/50 chance.

• Like 1

I'm the Treasurer.  Unless the government says we can't go. We are going. Is that metrics enough for you?

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

I'm the Treasurer.  Unless the government says we can't go. We are going. Is that metrics enough for you?

What are you hearing from the Government? What are they looking for before allowing the race to proceed? 

We have to submit an entire protocol. That's why we hired an expert to help develop that protocol. Which she has provided for today's circumstances. But, the race is in July and requirements are changing all the time. So far we are doing everything neccessary to ensure the race runs and runs safely. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

We have to submit an entire protocol. That's why we hired an expert to help develop that protocol. Which she has provided for today's circumstances. But, the race is in July and requirements are changing all the time. So far we are doing everything neccessary to ensure the race runs and runs safely. 

rooting for you guys to make it happen tom.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:24 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

Which other protocols has that "expert" produced in the past? 

As I recall she has been recently involved in a couple of East Coast One Design events. But, her accomplishments are easy to look up on Linked In.

• There are a lot of questions that need to be answered,  her are a few to start with. I am sure the consultant will address them. 1.  Under the current Hawaii safe travel policy no boat will be able to abide by the less than 72 hour prior to departure covid testing requirements to bypass the 10 day quarantine 2. Currently with out a negative there is a mandatory 10 day quarantine, it is  unknown if the time at sea will count.  Can they quarantine on the boat?  Quarantine is at your own expense.    3.  Social gatherings are limited to 10 or less.   4.   Is an large in person awards ceremony even possible,  will the state even allow rental of the convention center 5.  Will it be possible to have  the pier arrival parties      6.  Are the clubs willing/able  to host a large post race party.  

Yes the race is just over four months away and we all wish we had a crystal ball to see what will happen.  Bars are not currently open and restaurants that have liquor license must stop serving alcohol at 10 PM.       

16 minutes ago, SUbsailor said:
  • There are a lot of questions that need to be answered,  her are a few to start with. I am sure the consultant will address them. 1.  Under the current Hawaii safe travel policy no boat will be able to abide by the less than 72 hour prior to departure covid testing requirements to bypass the 10 day quarantine At this stage we plan to have testing done upon arrival with a local state approved lab. 2. Currently with out a negative there is a mandatory 10 day quarantine, Again testing upon arrival. it is  unknown if the time at sea will count.  Can they quarantine on the boat? We plan to have a hot dock. If there is a report of COVID symptoms during the race by a boat or a crew member tests positive upon arrival, the entire boat and crew will be brought to the hot dock and all local quarantine measures will be implemented.  Quarantine is at your own expense.    3.  Social gatherings are limited to 10 or less. At this point the parties are off. 4.   Is an large in person awards ceremony even possible,  will the state even allow rental of the convention center At this point we have canceled the Convention Center. If we can do an outside presentation we will try to. But, priority number one is having a race. Parties are secondary. 5.  Will it be possible to have  the pier arrival parties While boats are being inspected there will be hors deurves  and Mai Tais. But, the traditional arrival parties will probably be off the table.    6.  Are the clubs willing/able  to host a large post race party.  Again, if conditions are as they are today, there will be no social gatherings over 10 persons.

Yes the race is just over four months away and we all wish we had a crystal ball to see what will happen.  Bars are not currently open and restaurants that have liquor license must stop serving alcohol at 10 PM.       

While the parties are a nice perk after the race, holding a safe race is and always will be priority #1.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Makes total sense Tom. 

I have heard that Oahu doesn't have the hard-quarantine rule for inbound, so I don't think that's an issue.  Co-worker who is working the next 2 months from a flat in Honolulu. She didn't have to quarantine.

It's always changing.  My father flew over a few months ago without a test and had to self quarantine at his home in Laiei. But, we are in contact with the agencies that will make the final call and we plan to abide by their directives. 

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Makes total sense Tom. 

I have heard that Oahu doesn't have the hard-quarantine rule for inbound, so I don't think that's an issue.  Co-worker who is working the next 2 months from a flat in Honolulu. She didn't have to quarantine.

Raz'r The state of Hawaii has a quarantine order in effect.  There are ways around it one is by getting a vegetative covid test prior to traveling to Hawaii.  I will assume your coworker followed the procedure on the safe travels Hawaii web site.  Oahu is the least restrictive you do not have to get tested after arrival if you tested negative prior to arrival.  You also do not need to be tested traveling from one of the other islands to Oahu.    

On 3/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, SUbsailor said:
  • Bars are not currently open and restaurants that have liquor license must stop serving alcohol at 10 PM.       

Hell. Why even get out of bed in the morning. 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:04 PM, SUbsailor said:

Raz'r The state of Hawaii has a quarantine order in effect.  There are ways around it one is by getting a vegetative covid test prior to traveling to Hawaii.  I will assume your coworker followed the procedure on the safe travels Hawaii web site.  Oahu is the least restrictive you do not have to get tested after arrival if you tested negative prior to arrival.  You also do not need to be tested traveling from one of the other islands to Oahu.    

There are a lot of anarchists who are in a vegetative state, pretty much all the time. There should be no issue passing this test.

• Like 2
On 4/5/2020 at 3:59 PM, Some.Rando said:

sail you ass off, don't be a whiner or a prima donna. show up for practice days, show up for maintenance days, show up for yard periods. also being able to do more than just sail is huge, good sailors are a dime a dozen, I can go to any post race party and throw a potato into the crowd and I'll probably hit a good sailor.  but a person who is a good sailor and also knows how to work on electrical systems, or has some proper mechanical aptitude or who can do do laminates or can do a proper sail repair, or who can navigate and do weather routing etc. those people are harder to come by, especially when you're talking about boats that aren't hiring pros and those are the people who are much, much more likely to get a berth on a sought after race. 

oh also I hear RIO100 is back rigged and is debating doing the race. 

16 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

sail you ass off, don't be a whiner or a prima donna. show up for practice days, show up for maintenance days, show up for yard periods. also being able to do more than just sail is huge, good sailors are a dime a dozen, I can go to any post race party and throw a potato into the crowd and I'll probably hit a good sailor.  but a person who is a good sailor and also knows how to work on electrical systems, or has some proper mechanical aptitude or who can do do laminates or can do a proper sail repair, or who can navigate and do weather routing etc. those people are harder to come by, especially when you're talking about boats that aren't hiring pros and those are the people who are much, much more likely to get a berth on a sought after race. 

oh also I hear RIO100 is back rigged and is debating doing the race. 

Waste of a perfectly good potato.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, and it doesn't really help out boats that sail fast, but the current practice on Oahu for private boats is that if you've been at sea for 14 days en route to Hawaii, you don't have to quarantine or test on arrival.  Not sure how this squares with the change from 14 to 10 day quarantine for air travelers, but...

On 5/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, carcrash said:

I am certainly a fan of the Olson 40. Favorite "thing" I have ever owned. This was a 12 knot day, sailing with full main and lapper (about 90% jib). 9-10 knots

Does someone walking towards the bow in those conditions smooth out the stern flow?  Big dinghy fun.....

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this race on again even if it ends up down on numbers. Will be interesting to see if RIO100 can stay ahead of Pyewacket? 30 feet of waterline but fixed keel once would expect so but the Volvo's come into their own in certain conditions. Loki is racing under a new US owner too

8 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Great to see this race on again even if it ends up down on numbers. Will be interesting to see if RIO100 can stay ahead of Pyewacket? 30 feet of waterline but fixed keel once would expect so but the Volvo's come into their own in certain conditions. Loki is racing under a new US owner too

yeah it'll be interesting to see how the RIO100 does vs the VO70 pyewcket. I think a lot will come down to how much of the route each spends in planing vs. displacement conditions. but yeah, even a "non turbo'd" VO70 is damn fast and if I'm not mistaken pyewacket has has had some turbo-ing work done to her hasn't she? but even with a fixed keel RIO100 is a quick boat. shame that we'll probably never see comanche do the transpac again. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Rio to break in the first 10 miles

What changed?  They were very quick in the windiest Pac Cup ever, in 2016, setting a course record.

8 hours ago, Roleur said:

What changed?  They were very quick in the windiest Pac Cup ever, in 2016, setting a course record.

my question as well, what changed?

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Big shake up in team. Scattered to other programs.

fair enough but also the new crew still has ample time to train before the race. I was more referring to the comments that the boat will end up broken.

10 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

fair enough but also the new crew still has ample time to train before the race. I was more referring to the comments that the boat will end up broken.

Several of them also ran the maintenance program!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Today is the the standard Entry fee deadline.   Do we see many boats drop off the entry list.  End of may is dead line for late entry.  

Well, the rate at which we have been receiving entry fees in the last few days has been very strong.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:19 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

Yo Tom! Here's a shot from 2013.

We moved back to the North Shore last fall. 

Cheers,

Phil

pm_2013_07_22_153.jpg

4 hours ago, Kolibri said:

Cheers,

Phil

pm_2013_07_22_153.jpg

great shot phil.

• Like 1

Fantastic shot! 

A great boat and crew locking in another Transpac class win. 

Hopefully a few more 50s show up for Transpac. It was disappointing to see Horizon was the only one that did an amazing Newport to Cabo Race. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Kolibri said:

Cheers,

Phil

pm_2013_07_22_153.jpg

Great shot I have framed hanging in front of my desk!

• Like 1

The Stan Honey Navigation seminar will be this Saturday May 8th at 9:00. Sara Stone will be updating everyone on the latest of the ever evolving COVID protocols. That will be the best place to get the most complete information to date.

40 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Stan Honey Navigation seminar

damn , that's an event not to be missed .

anyone with a spare invite I'm seriously interested .

PM's please

STAN HONEY NAVIGATION & STRATEGY SEMINAR: THINKING THROUGH THE TRANSPAC RACE

stan-honey-seminar.jpg

Posted April 19, 2021

Saturday, May 8, 2021
9:00 am to 11:00 am PDT
ZOOM WEBINAR
(Access information will be sent out to race entries via email)

Hosted by Transpacific Yacht Club