• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're in. Entered, committed, good to go. Cuz... If you have Merlin and don't do Transpac... You go to hell.

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat. Show up to boat maintenance days, etc.  Help to c

The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat ha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

Class breaks are up.

https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=12940

Div 2 and 4 look very interesting with a lot of HP representing.

Does Pyewacket have a lock on the Brarndoor or does Lucky have a chance?

Will be a fun one to watch!

Lucky would need lighter to very light conditions to trouble Pyewacket. In the Fastnet Race 2019 Wizard a Turbo'd Volvo 70 finished around 4 hours ahead of Lucky from memory. Wind conditions/angle will play a big part 2 but over the distance of the race and with the usual conditions Pyewacket will be a way ahead of Lucky. 

• Like 1
On 6/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, Swimsailor said:

Class breaks are up.

even on an average year Pyewacket will be long gone. who's the navigator this year?

On 6/9/2021 at 8:39 PM, terrafirma said:

Lucky would need lighter to very light conditions to trouble Pyewacket. In the Fastnet Race 2019 Wizard a Turbo'd Volvo 70 finished around 4 hours ahead of Lucky from memory. Wind conditions/angle will play a big part 2 but over the distance of the race and with the usual conditions Pyewacket will be a way ahead of Lucky. 

Wizard is a non turbo VO70

7 hours ago, boyscout said:

Wizard is a non turbo VO70

So, what would be the time diff with a "turbo VO70"?

Glad to sail on small boats with no turbos.

What do we count as a turbo VO70 these days? Wizard is certainly a well cared for, prepared, optimised VO70 both now and before when it was Giacomo with a relatively new rig seeing as it was dismasted during a Hobart?

22 hours ago, JonRowe said:

What do we count as a turbo VO70 these days? Wizard is certainly a well cared for, prepared, optimised VO70 both now and before when it was Giacomo with a relatively new rig seeing as it was dismasted during a Hobart?

Yes Wizard I believe has a Turbo'd rig and longer spirit along with some custom sails and they’re now using a whisker pole reaching with the J0, a concept they took from the VO65 apparently. And Pyewacket is a turbo-charged Juan Kouyoumdjian-designed Volvo 70. 

• Downvote 1

Pyewacket have a longer keel with lighter bulb, 1 meter taller mast and a longer prod. I think Rambler 88 ended making similar changes to their boat with some big gains. Some might remember Wizard was leading the Transpacfic race against Scallywag 100 and it wasn't until the end in the lighter conditions that Scallywag overhauled them. 

16 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Pyewacket have a longer keel with lighter bulb, 1 meter taller mast and a longer prod. I think Rambler 88 ended making similar changes to their boat with some big gains. Some might remember Wizard was leading the Transpacfic race against Scallywag 100 and it wasn't until the end in the lighter conditions that Scallywag overhauled them. 

yep. a well prepared great boat vs. a turd 100 .

On 6/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, terrafirma said:

10 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

yep. a well prepared great boat vs. a turd 100 .

bigrpowr,

I'm not shore calling Scallywag a "turd 100" is a fair thing. The designer of the hull is a very good designer ex America's cup for 4 plus challengers  and was working with a tight ass owner and the new boat captain / new owners rep still hasn't spent the kind of money or changed the boat like they did on Black Jack 70 / Pyewacket. 

I still think that a new deeper keel and taller mast on Scallywag and a brains trust like Blackjack 100 and you would still have a great boat. 

Pulpit 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

bigrpowr,

I'm not shore calling Scallywag a "turd 100" is a fair thing. The designer of the hull is a very good designer ex America's cup for 4 plus challengers  and was working with a tight ass owner and the new boat captain / new owners rep still hasn't spent the kind of money or changed the boat like they did on Black Jack 70 / Pyewacket. 

I still think that a new deeper keel and taller mast on Scallywag and a brains trust like Blackjack 100 and you would still have a great boat. 

Pulpit 

Andy Dovell did some great work for me and it turned to gold.! And one of the nicest guys if not the nicest you'll ever meet. Got to remember Scallywag was a re-cycle project started by Syd Fisher. It's always hard recycling rigs, decks or whatever they had to onto the Dovell Hull. I know Mark Richards was well aware of the boats potential because he knows Andy's work very well. If you were to run the Scallywag with the Wild Oats budget and perhaps some of the same input it could well be a different story. Pulpit is on the money too. 

• Like 1

Class breaks were decided last week.

Eight.gif Division 8  
    1. sm_none_5.png  USA 97301 Ho’okolohe Cecil/Alyson Rossi StFYC/WYC Novato, CA, USA Farr 57 57.60  
    2. North Sails  USA 33819 Juno Dan Merino SWYC San Diego, CA, USA Express 37 37  
    3. sm_none_5.png  USA 38131 Knotty Boo Brent Crawford / Jason Holloway SFYC / StFYC Kentfield, CA, USA Beneteau 49 49  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 52304 Macondo Mike Sudo Del Rey YC Marina del Rey, CA, USA Beneteau First 47.7 47.57  
    5. sm_none_5.png  USA 161 Mikmaks Justin Waite Kenai Fjords Yacht Club Fairbanks, AK, USA Stevens 47 46.8  
    6. sm_none_5.png  USA 37836 Nalu V Mark Ashmore South Shore Yacht Club Arcadia, CA, USA Cal 40 39.5  
    7. Quantum Sails  USA 18305 Spindrift V Andy Schwenk Richmond Pt Richmond, Ca, USA Express 37 37  

Five.gif Division 5  
    1. Quantum Sails  USA 50030 Bretwalda3 Bob Pethick Waikiki YC Palos Verdes Estates, CA, USA Rogers 46 46  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 61046 Cazan David Gates White Lake Yacht Club San Diego, CA, USA DK46 46  
    3. sm_none_5.png  USA 84003 Denali^3 William McKinley BYC/LTYC Harbor Springs, MI, USA Ker46+ 46  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 61421 Lucky Duck Dave MacEwen StFYC/MPYC Los Altos, CA, USA Rogers 46 46  
    5. North Sails  USA 7065 Nereid Standish Fleming CRA San Diego, CA, USA J/125 41  
    6. sm_none_5.png  627 Rapid Transit James Partridge Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club Los Angeles, CA, USA Antrim 49 49  
    7. sm_none_5.png  12520 Rufless Rufus Sjoberg / Jason Crowson Richmond YC Pinole, CA, USA J 125 41  

Six.gif Division 6  
    1. sm_none_5.png  USA 18926 Horizon Len Bose BCYC Huntington Beach, CA, USA Santa Cruz 50 52.4  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 77285 J World's Hula Girl Wayne Zittel San Diego YC/San Francisco YC San Diego, CA, USA SC 50 Mod 52.3  
    3. sm_none_5.png  USA 8927 Oaxaca Michael Moradzadeh StFYC/CYC/CCA Belvedere Tiburon, CA, USA Santa Cruz 50 52  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 51520 Triumph Steve Selllinger NHYC Park City, UT, USA Santa Cruz 52 53  
    5. Quantum Sails  USA 77890 Trouble Tom Camp Long Beach Yacht Club Long Beach, CA, USA Santa Cruz 50 52.7  

Seven.gif Division 7  
    1. sm_none_5.png  USA 1218 BlueFlash Scott Grealish TPYC Portland, OR, USA J/121 40  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 38125 Favonius Greg Dorn San Francisco Yacht Club Belvedere Tiburon, CA, USA Dehler 46 46.03  
    3. North Sails  USA 77885 Live Wire Tim Jones Diego Garcia Yacht Club Lomita, CA, USA Olson 40 40  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 43703 Lurline Gib Black Kaneohe YC Kaneohe, HI, USA Tripp 47 47  
    5. sm_none_5.png  USA 11211 Riva Scott Campbell Portland (OR) Yacht Club Vancouver, WA, USA J 121 40  

One.gif Division 1  
    1. sm_none_5.png  USA 88856 BadPak Tom Holthus San Diego Yacht Club La Jolla, CA, USA Botin 56 56  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 7779 Compadres El Hefe BYC/NHYC Newport Beach, CA, USA Andrews 77 77  
    3. sm_none_5.png  USA 60010 GoodEnergy George Hershman / Mark Comings Cabrillo Beach YC/Alamitos Bay YC Coronado, CA, USA R/P 63 63.2  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 2872 Lucky Bryon Ehrhart New York Yacht Club Chicago, IL, USA Judel-Vrolijk 72 71.98  
    5. sm_none_5.png  USA 70007 Pyewacket 70 Roy Disney San Diego Yacht Club San Diego, CA, USA Volvo 70 Modified 70  

Two.gif Division 2  
    1. North Sails  USA 61305 Artemis Raymond Paul San Francisco Yacht Club San Francisco, CA, USA Botin 65 65.59  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 97777 Medicine Man Bob Lane LBYC Long Beach, CA, USA Andrews 63 63.39  
    3. sm_none_5.png  USA 55555 Peligroso Doug Baker LBYC Long Beach, CA, USA Kernan 68 68  
    4. Doyle Sailmakers  USA 55155 Zvi Alan Lubner Seattle Yacht Club Mercer Island, WA, USA RP 55 55  

Three.gif Division 3  
    1. sm_none_5.png  USA 5202 Callisto Jim and Kate Murray Chicago Yacht Club Lake Bluff, IL, USA PAC52 52  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 51007 Fast Exit II John Raymont Balboa YC Newport Beach, CA, USA Ker 51 52.6  
    3. sm_none_5.png  MEX 952 Patches Eduardo Porter Ludwig Club Nautico Valle de Bravo A.C. CDMX, MEX TP52 52'  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 52725 Sonic Marek Omilian STYC Seattle, WA, USA TP52 52  
    5. sm_none_5.png  USA 84248 Vitesse Thomas Furlong SFYC Danville, CA, USA RP 52 52  
    6. sm_none_5.png  USA 60564 Warrior Won Chris Sheehan Larchmont YC Larchmont, ny, USA Pac52 52  

Four.gif Division 4  
    1. sm_none_5.png  USA 97363 Bolt Craig Reynolds Balboa Yacht Cub Corona Del Mar, CA, USA Nelson Marek 68 68  
    2. sm_none_5.png  USA 97 Grand Illusion David H. Clark Newport Harbor Yacht Club Newport Beach, CA, USA Santa Cruz 70 68  
    3. sm_none_5.png  USA 8955 Merlin Chip Merlin SPYC Tampa, FL, USA Bill Lee Custom 68  
    4. sm_none_5.png  USA 97656 Pied Piper Jack Jennings Transpac YC Niles, IL, USA Santa Cruz 70 68  
    5. sm_none_5.png  USA 88 TBD Justin Smart John Sangmeister R.O.R.C./New York YC/Long Beach YC/ABYC Long Beach, CA, USA TBD 68  

On 6/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, JonRowe said:

Well after they broke the rig it was replaced with a mast of the same size.

A Turbo VO70, in this case has a 3m taller mast, Longer sprit, Deeper and lighter keel, and powered winches. 

On 6/20/2021 at 12:55 AM, terrafirma said:

That Wizard was a gen 1 mini maxi'ish type of boat. The RP65

5 hours ago, boyscout said:

That Wizard was a gen 1 mini maxi'ish type of boat. The RP65

Sorry I mean't the Transatlantic Race not the Transpac. I often get these confused by name

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Sorry I mean't the Transatlantic Race not the Transpac. I often get these confused by name

It's pretty easy Terra.

One race crosses it's namesake ocean from one continent to another, the other race just crosses a small percentage of it's ocean from one US state to another... ;)

6 hours ago, Jethrow said:

It's pretty easy Terra.

One race crosses it's namesake ocean from one continent to another, the other race just crosses a small percentage of it's ocean from one US state to another... ;)

Yeah get that part. It's my brain keeps processing the Trans bit. Should be good now.! :D

• Like 1
On 6/22/2021 at 12:05 AM, Jethrow said:

It's pretty easy Terra.

if it went to japan it could maybe earn the designation, but..  they named it many moons ago and no going back now, it stuck. nice name for a race too.

• Like 1

Transpac YC put up the ratings for everyone yesterday.  Looking at our class Div 5 I was really surprised by Ruffless's rating.  Getting excited as things are starting to come into focus and the to do list is getting smaller not larger so that is always a good sign.  

2021 Transpac Honolulu Race on Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

Fan,

We are getting down to the short strokes. And, it looks like the weather should start moving into summer mode soon. I'm really looking forward to getting out in the deep blue. 

See you soon

Tom

17 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Fan,

We are getting down to the short strokes. And, it looks like the weather should start moving into summer mode soon. I'm really looking forward to getting out in the deep blue. 

See you soon

Tom

Yeah I hope the patterns start changing becasue it has not looked good lately!

On 7/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, fan said:

Transpac YC put up the ratings for everyone yesterday.  Looking at our class Div 5 I was really surprised by Ruffless's rating.  Getting excited as things are starting to come into focus and the to do list is getting smaller not larger so that is always a good sign.  

2021 Transpac Honolulu Race on Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

Wow nice work Rufus.   WE got Hammer down to 0.9195 for the 19 transpac and we thought that was good

2 hours ago, IMR said:

Wow nice work Rufus.   WE got Hammer down to 0.9195 for the 19 transpac and we thought that was good

Yeah and I was impressed with that.  Will be curious to see how it sits on its waterline being that the empty boat wieght is almost 700 pounds more then us.  Other then lithium batteries and enclosed head wall removal we have not done any wieght savings so seems like a lot. I mean the DK46 owes them time now we will owe them about 6 hours.  Will be intersting no matter what just looking forward to getting offshore in some wind and swell as in day 3+ not day 2 haha

• Like 1
6 hours ago, fan said:

Yeah and I was impressed with that.  Will be curious to see how it sits on its waterline being that the empty boat wieght is almost 700 pounds more then us.  Other then lithium batteries and enclosed head wall removal we have not done any wieght savings so seems like a lot. I mean the DK46 owes them time now we will owe them about 6 hours.  Will be intersting no matter what just looking forward to getting offshore in some wind and swell as in day 3+ not day 2 haha

I heard that other than Tyler, the crew are all Umpa Lumpas.  Quite the weight saving there. And they're only going with frac kites.

I would be concerned about the Ker 46.  Weapon if they go in the right direction..........

4 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I heard that other than Tyler, the crew are all Umpa Lumpas.  Quite the weight saving there. And they're only going with frac kites.

I would be concerned about the Ker 46.  Weapon if they go in the right direction..........

Really??? Frac kites only on a 125??

7 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Their kites are made of Aerogel, lighter than air!

Seriously, that will not work! You can only sail backwards with those.

I know someone who tried it, and they wrapped the spi around the backstay, solidly. They had to cut it away, eventually...

19 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Their kites are made of Aerogel, lighter than air!

Is that made by a division of Unobtanium Inc,?

2 hours ago, notme said:

Is that made by a division of Unobtanium Inc,?

Only the spinnaker cloth for the infamous asso spi is made by them.

The real thing is from Hardtoobtanium Inc, I want it for my fridge/freezer, and maybe a survival suit for the  TransAntartica.

Sorry for the thread drift, back to the ½Transpac...

On 7/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, IMR said:

Not sure of the details but Ruffless is having thier certificate adjusted.  They are having having about 270lbs taken off their wieght which moves them from .9037 to .9137 so a difference of about 40 seconds an hour.  Still an impressive drop and number for a J-125

10 hours ago, fan said:

Not sure of the details but Ruffless is having thier certificate adjusted.  They are having having about 270lbs taken off their wieght which moves them from .9037 to .9137 so a difference of about 40 seconds an hour.  Still an impressive drop and number for a J-125

such a cool boat. perfect for that trip.

10 hours ago, solosailor said:

I think there is still one on the market just for you.

if only there was time in my life, that would be the one. which one is for sale?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, terrafirma said:

What's the weather doing gang.?

Reportedly, there will be some good EPAC conditions. ENSO is neutral. MJO is organized with an enhanced phase over the Indian ocean. Sub tropical 500 -hPa pattern supports favourable conditions. There will be some sub tropical cyclonic activity to eff up the wave direction starting on the 16th. The moon will be out at night. It will be light in the day and mostly dark at night.

• Like 2

I believe Double Trouble is for sale as well just needs themast crane repair.  

3 hours ago, fan said:

I believe Double Trouble is for sale as well just needs themast crane repair.  

Bummer, it just sold this last spring.

21 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Reportedly, there will be some good EPAC conditions. ENSO is neutral. MJO is organized with an enhanced phase over the Indian ocean. Sub tropical 500 -hPa pattern supports favourable conditions. There will be some sub tropical cyclonic activity to eff up the wave direction starting on the 16th. The moon will be out at night. It will be light in the day and mostly dark at night.

Cool rundown, thanks. I gotta say, I was pretty sleepy when I read this, started hearing it in Rick Moranis' voice from Ghostbusters 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Latadjust said:

Cool rundown, thanks. I gotta say, I was pretty sleepy when I read this, started hearing it in Rick Moranis' voice from Ghostbusters 

With a British accent!  

27C76362-A218-4B6F-8518-2E84F6A30793.jpeg

• Like 1

Intersting activity down south on the EC model Thur next week.  Still pretty far off but one to keep an eye on. 

Damian

1 hour ago, fan said:

Intersting activity down south on the EC model Thur next week.  Still pretty far off but one to keep an eye on. 

Damian

You'll be on your second drunk before that becomes a factor!

3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

You'll be on your second drunk before that becomes a factor!

I believe you are right but with GFS showing one going North and the EC showing two going North East at the same time I'm still gonna keep an eye out. It will all become clear in time looks interesting way out though.

do they still do the cool dock out at shoreline like they used too? was thinking of taking my kids down to see the big boats leave the harbor.

28 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

do they still do the cool dock out at shoreline like they used too? was thinking of taking my kids down to see the big boats leave the harbor.

No. A lot of teams are in Cabrillo Way Marina.  But no real departure fanfare as far as I know.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

No. A lot of teams are in Cabrillo Way Marina.  But no real departure fanfare as far as I know.

maybe i'll message tom and see where they are at and go there before they push off. it was always cool being on the docks before a big offshore race. i love the buzz.

The 1st wave of boats have sailed straight into hell. They aren't the fastest boats so punching through the windless wall that's in front of them means it won't be long before the boats behind catch them. Stan Honey was on the money when he described the phases of this race. 

• Like 1

big eddy in effect. Feel bad for the first wave of boats they are not going to make it far today. The synoptic wind is pulled well offshore it might take them another day to get to it. 

should return to normal by the next starts on Thursday 

• Like 1

The eddy always seems to rear its ugly head for at least one of the starts. 

Just curious as to why the two E37's are in D8 with the "cruiser racers".  D7 seems like it would be more interesting/challenging for them.  Then div 8 & 7 would have 5 boats each. 

2 hours ago, IMR said:

Depending on one's definition of normal!

Saturday routing is a couple of hours slower than Friday.  But, that can all wash out down the course. Certainly less threat of Eddy spoiling the party come start day.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IMR said:

big eddy in effect. Feel bad for the first wave of boats they are not going to make it far today. The synoptic wind is pulled well offshore it might take them another day to get to it. 

We don't start until Friday and we are next start.  Looking then good though

3 hours ago, fan said:

We don't start until Friday and we are next start.  Looking then good though

Sorry, I am not racing this year I thought there was a Thursday start. Covid messed everything up for my planning. 

On 7/7/2021 at 7:34 AM, fan said:

Looks like the rating are still moving. Rufless dropped back to .9072 from .9137. What’s going on at orr? 

Poor teams in Group 8. It took some time but now they're starting to hustle, except for Mikmaks and Nalu, but they'll get going soon enough.

So what's the goss with Rufless?  I would not expect ORR to be making changes without submitted changes by the owners.

0600 positions:

group8.JPG

1 hour ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Did I miss something with Merlin . . . my bad if so but thought they were in?

And then we weren't. Work and family come first. Gonna hang out on the west coast a while and see about some of those other races though.

3 hours ago, Brian M. said:

And then we weren't. Work and family come first. Gonna hang out on the west coast a while and see about some of those other races though.

You, your crew and especially your boat will be missed. But, a littl bird told me Rag Time will be back for 2023. So, we all have that match up to look forward to. 

On 7/15/2021 at 1:46 PM, Brian M. said:

Sorry to hear! Such is life unfortunately. Disappointing I am sure.

On 6/9/2021 at 9:23 PM, bushsailor said:

No Multihulls this year, shame.

I remember during the 2019 transpac being 5 days out of long beach having Ergos come up and pass us doing 30+ knots, they were first to finish.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, Swimsailor said:

Class breaks are up.

They should take it unless they have to pick up sailors from a sinking boat again?

12 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Seriously bad day. Tilt your screen.

6635FA5B-4D36-43DB-A860-5508533B38EA.jpeg

Let's not do that.