18 minutes ago, Liquid said:

The do or die qtrly review was/is pretty standard practice from my silicon valley experience. It was attributed to Oracle's practice of firing the bottom 10% every quarter during early boom times. It's a productive but stupidly stressful tactic. I did my 20 and ran away!!!

I don't see much of an issue with weeding out. Most surgical programs in residency were called pyramids because you started with more residents a year than would finish at the end of five years. Attrition and competition would leave the better ones. Not a trophy for everyone in those days. there will be some who realize it is not what they want to do 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just spent the morning smearing Cetol on my teak toe rails. Cetol saves my sanity because it's impossible to do a good job with it, so I don't have to try. When I use varnish, grandpa's ghost is sit

Oh..........so many I guy I worked for at nearly every fire:   I carried a laminated card with this quote taped inside my helmet so I saw it every time I put it on. Generally att

Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight--how to get from shore to food and back again. For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Tackling performance issues is the toughest part of management. At least in Sales you have a solid, objective, metric and if you're consistent in the applicaiton of policy you can't be hit with discrimination suits by an underperformer who decides that you fired them because they were [insert protected class here].

I had to deal with it most of my working life. There is a very simple process to avoid any legal problems of the wrongful dismissal nature.

It's called Progressive Disciple.

Meeting to discuss performance

Meeting to discuss performance - documented.

Meeting to discuss performance - documented with the words "may result in termination".

Meeting to discuss performance - documented with the words "will result in termination"

Termination.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, burndoc said:

I don't see much of an issue with weeding out. Most surgical programs in residency were called pyramids because you started with more residents a year than would finish at the end of five years. Attrition and competition would leave the better ones. Not a trophy for everyone in those days. there will be some who realize it is not what they want to do 

Nothing wrong with weeding out folks. It was how it was done in the dot-com era - miss your number and bye-bye! A deal can push a qtr or 2 if there is a board change, a merger, new C_O, new exec that you need to sign a contract, etc. Nothing in a sales person control. And if you only need 8 deals to crush it, 2 slipping is very painful. Back in the day you'd lose you job, it eased up over time and some humanity came back.

I was surprised to read somewhere that med student's have a very high rate of suicide...

I think residents may have a higher than average rate

We try to make sure applicants know what they are getting into and the lifestyle of docs by spending time shadowing. Like most jobs what you get is not what you think it is going to be. 

Sales as i have heard has always been high pressure with the need to produce. Funny how in medicine there can also be many docs who treat patients supporting the administraive and researchers.

cheers

• 10 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, SloopJonB said:

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Ana's that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks."

One of the greatest passages ever from Dashiell Hammett's first novel Red Harvest. Mesmerizing. In fact, might just be one of the greatest descriptions written in any novel of any era.  -- JCL

• Like 1

Ummm... sorry but it's Raymond Chandler - Philip Marlowe.

It was first published in a short story in a book with an equally great title - "Trouble is my business".

If builders built buildings the way programmers write code, then the 1st woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization as we know it.

Computer systems book in early 90s..

Its a shit sandwich and putting pickles on it is not going to change that.  So lets just hold our noses and each take a bite as it has to be gone.

Me at a staff meeting when the boss was sugar coating some bad news..

Me interviewing an applicant: "So it isn't clear to me exactly what you are doing at you current employer."

Her: "Have you seen the movie Pulp Fiction?"

Me:" Yes"

Her: "Remember the character Wolfman?"

Me: " Was he the one that cleaned up the car?"

Her: "Yes, and my current role is just like the Wolfman, cleaning up everyone else's fuck-ups.  That's why I am here."

• 3 months later...

“If I was god for a day….   Forget world peace,  I would cure sea  sickness.”    John Kretschmer, sailing Millennial Falcon interview, but I’m sure agreed with by many of our significant others that stay on shore.    

On 6/7/2020 at 7:53 PM, Black Sox said:

From a film, I think it was Broken Arrow featuring John Travolta and Christian Slater. The plot, if there was one, is lost to me now but at one point John Travolta sent a nuclear bomb to a city (Denver?), I think on a train. Somebody questions this and the line, which I find useful in apocalyptic situations, is,

"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"

Bette Midler's line

My favorite line in Broken Arrow was when after the Travolta character kills the Howie Long character he says,

I never actually killed anyone before.
I mean...

I dropped bombs on Baghdad,

but... never face to face.

I don't know what the big deal is.
I really don't.

• Like 1

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

• Like 2
On 9/27/2021 at 5:20 AM, PurpleOnion said:

"Do unto others before others do unto you".  Fred Sanford

Do unto others and then get the hell out

On 6/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, SloopJonB said:

Ummm... sorry but it's Raymond Chandler - Philip Marlowe.

It was first published in a short story in a book with an equally great title - "Trouble is my business".

Paraphrased Chandler:  "The sign above the bar read "Only Genuine Scotch Whiskey Served Here".  I started counting the lies contained those six words."

10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Paraphrased Chandler:  "The sign above the bar read "Only Genuine Scotch Whiskey Served Here".  I started counting the lies contained those six words."

To be precise (and increase the count of people that despise me), Hammett's quote from the Continental Op is:

"I was reading a sign high on the wall behind the bar:

ONLY GENUINE PRE-WAR AMERICAN AND BRITISH WHISKEYS SERVED HERE

I was trying to count how many lies could be found in those nine words, and had reached four, with promise of more, when one of my confederates, the Greek, cleared his thoat with the noise a gasoline engine's backfire."

Hammett was a hell of a drunkard and wrote some great stuff (in my poorly educated opinion) as did many other quality drunks. Hemingway, Faulkner, Clemens, Bukowski, etc.

1 hour ago, PurpleOnion said:

To be precise (and increase the count of people that despise me), Hammett's quote from the Continental Op is:

"I was reading a sign high on the wall behind the bar:

ONLY GENUINE PRE-WAR AMERICAN AND BRITISH WHISKEYS SERVED HERE

I was trying to count how many lies could be found in those nine words, and had reached four, with promise of more, when one of my confederates, the Greek, cleared his thoat with the noise a gasoline engine's backfire."

Hammett was a hell of a drunkard and wrote some great stuff (in my poorly educated opinion) as did many other quality drunks. Hemingway, Faulkner, Clemens, Bukowski, etc.

Thanks.  My brain had that filed under "The Long Goodbye, so thanks for the correction.

58 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Hammet was good but he was no Chandler.

"I was neat, clean, shaved and sober - I was calling on 10 million dollars".

I'm not qualified to argue either way.  The only Chandler I've read is The Big Sleep, and, as noted, I'm in no position to be a laiterary critic.  I do like how the Coen brothers turned The Glass Key into Miller's Crossing.

Regardless, I'll throw out Hammett's description of the Continental Op.

"My face doesn't scare children, but it's a more or less truthful witness to a life that hasn't been overburdened with refinement and gentility."  Dashiell Hammett / Continental Op.

• Like 1

Two from my pop……career USMC mustang.

”Son……if you just show up for work on time, do your best, and give them a days work for a days pay you’ll be a superstar because so few people do even those things.”

He was right.

”You can tell a lot about a leader not just by the character and work of the people who speak well of him….but also by the character and work of those who don’t”.

Got that one right as well.