Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

PTSD.............jeepers its such a narrow impression people have a very broad set of "feelings" after some difficult event. Some folks are debilitated by their PTSD. Most carry some remnant of strong

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

a6Kv1Xm_460swp.webp

That’s one way to do it, though I’m at a loss to why.    It looks like a stick frame reroof on a timber frame barn, for the purpose of breeding termites?    The upside down joist hangers appear to screw the yellow pine to the heavy frame.    Rafters precisely fit in notches, so the guy knew how to use a saw.   
edit.   The rafters sit on the hangers and the top 2x is just blocking!!   They might go up to a proper ridge and the height was wrong  for the shown support wall?    This is just.....     unusual.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

dallas code enforcers would say that's funny and laugh,  then make you take it down giving you a nice red tag..

After living in San Antonio for 4 years and seeing the appalling lack of quality construction by some of the large home builders there, if that photo was from Texas it wouldn't surprise me at all.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

a6Kv1Xm_460swp.webp

It all started to go wrong when they set the beam at the wrong height.

 

That's what happens when you don't hire one of the good Mexican framing crews.  

I wonder if they ever re-nailed the sheathing, or just drove all those shiners and said "good enough"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

That's what happens when you don't hire one of the good Mexican framing crews.  

I wonder if they ever re-nailed the sheathing, or just drove all those shiners and said "good enough"?

i like how they hit that 3nd 2x10 putting the decking down..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

This is definitely NQR.  Alabama is right next to Florida...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illegal-winery-busted-at-alabama-sewage-plant/

So is it good that they are making wine at the sewage treatment plant so they can get the freshest and cleanest water or  a horrible idea as a result of the possible cross contamination.  

also  Not sure where your going with your geography lesson, but bama also close to Georgia, Mississippi   And Tennessee, and Delkab county is a pretty long poke from Florida. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Not sure where your going with your geography lesson, but bama also close to Georgia, Mississippi   And Tennessee, and Delkab county is a pretty long poke from Florida. 

Because if you heard that news without naming a state, most folks would say "Florida?"

Alabama borders on Florida. The county doesn't matter, we are describing behavior of people in the states in general.  It would be reasonable to believe that due to tectonic movements or some such thing, that Florida behavior would rub off on to neighboring states.  

Perhaps you are a lawyer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, Bugsy said:

^^^   I think that is a double-negative.  If you put the cross through something, it means 'no' or 'not'.  So no no Trumps?  Is that Yes Trumps?

 

You are correct!!  the red circle and slash should be affixed over the "Trumps" and not the "NO"....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find this funny...   let's bring them to texas in  July / August..   if it drops below 90F by midnight, it's a good day

Quote

Increased heat in Mediterranean countries is making the traditional summer beach holiday season in late July and August untenable for many northern Europeans. Tropical nights, where the temperature does not drop below 20C, (68F) are increasing and a recognized danger to health.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I find this funny...   let's bring them to texas in  July / August..   if it drops below 90F by midnight, it's a good day

 

Yea, but Texas had to enslave people to make them live there.   After that failed they invented air conditioning.  
 

Trivia.   I have a vintage 1900 porch swing.   It folds down as a double wide cot.    City people up north, like my great grandparents, would sleep on their balconies at night.    Newspaper reports talked about people falling off tenement roofs and balconies during a New York heat wave, and being found on the pavement the next morning.   I don’t know what they did in the south.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

 

12 hours ago, Lark said:

   I don’t know what they did in the south.   

uh,  we just turn on the air-conditioning...

 

Around 1960 on the Florida central coast, a few houses had room air conditioners. We had one in my parents room and in the living room. When it got too hot and humid, my sisters and I would camp out in the cooled living room. At my grand parents place In St Petersburg, we would sleep on the screened porch with a couple of fans. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

 At my grand parents place In St Petersburg, we would sleep on the screened porch with a couple of fans.

In Japan sleepeng porches werre commone foire yeares, Greene & Greene ussed them in Gambelle House;

Gamble-House-3-945x596_6a869ee3613393ee3

(Doc Emmette Brownes house )

:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Around 1960 on the Florida central coast, a few houses had room air conditioners. We had one in my parents room and in the living room. When it got too hot and humid, my sisters and I would camp out in the cooled living room. At my grand parents place In St Petersburg, we would sleep on the screened porch with a couple of fans.

The Spanish knew something about it hundreds of years ago.

In July '76 a friend & I were in Santa Barbara and came across the old mission. Went in to have a look and it felt like it was air conditioned. Until then I had no idea how effective those thick masonry walls were at stabilizing temperature.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2020 at 6:30 AM, Snaggletooth said:

In Japan sleepeng porches werre commone foire yeares, Greene & Greene ussed them in Gambelle House;

Gamble-House-3-945x596_6a869ee3613393ee3

 

Wouldn't work around here. My wife tried it years ago - when I came home from work around 2AM I found her sound asleep with a family of raccoons sniffing around her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, view at the front said:

I was also told that in Architectural School.  I could never convince roofers to save their urine?

My mom had a sculptor friend who peed on his bronze castings in his studio backyard every night.  He achieved a very nice patina. 

No report on the aesthetic difference between asparagus and pineapple pee however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, view at the front said:

A friend told me that my urine perhaps smells when I eat asparagus?

Try a 2 day delivery with more than 4 people.   Bring asparagus.

Report.

Result will inevitably be:   "Never ever bring asparagus again."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
 

Denmark launches children's TV show about man with giant penis

Critics condemn idea of animated series about a man who cannot control his penis, but others have backed it

John Dillermand has an extraordinary penis. So extraordinary, in fact, that it can perform rescue operations, etch murals, hoist a flag and even steal ice-cream from children.

The Danish equivalent of the BBC, DR, has a new animated series aimed at four- to eight-year-olds about John Dillermand, the man with the world’s longest penis who overcomes hardships and challenges with his record-breaking genital

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a removable section above the lid? All I can think of is this is some response to gov't regulation requiring a certain amount of space around/in front of the shitter. There are exposed pipes along the baseboards, so this looks like industrial/commercial  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longy said:

There seems to be a removable section above the lid? All I can think of is this is some response to gov't regulation requiring a certain amount of space around/in front of the shitter. There are exposed pipes along the baseboards, so this looks like industrial/commercial  

when you want an inwall tank but don't want to pay for it..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longy said:

There seems to be a removable section above the lid? All I can think of is this is some response to gov't regulation requiring a certain amount of space around/in front of the shitter. There are exposed pipes along the baseboards, so this looks like industrial/commercial  

You're assuming this is in a "first world" nation?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest there was originally an in wall or ceiling tank which was leaking and couldn't be replaced with anything similar. So they installed a behind the pan tank as best they could. And yes, that looks like a removable panel above the tank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

all depends whether its European, Asian or American.

The 10mm struggle is found the world over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

How many 10 mm sockets does it take to work on a car these days? I never have enough...

Ha! Just had to change battery on my daughter’s car. GM Traverse, battery under floor in back seat. 10mm nuts clamping cables on. And the wiring harness going from battery to engine compartment still had tag on it that said “made in China.”  I suppose if you buy enough containers of harnesses the dollars saved add up. No idea if they are still getting them from there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

Ha! Just had to change battery on my daughter’s car. GM Traverse, battery under floor in back seat. 10mm nuts clamping cables on. And the wiring harness going from battery to engine compartment still had tag on it that said “made in China.”  I suppose if you buy enough containers of harnesses the dollars saved add up. No idea if they are still getting them from there. 

Toyota sells about 1.5 million Corollas a year, if you can save 5 cents a car.....

It's amazing that there are that many boring people in the world that Toyota can sell that many Corollas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Toyota sells about 1.5 million Corollas a year, if you can save 5 cents a unit.....

Corrected to the proper Bean Counter-speak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

It's amazing that there are that many boring people in the world that Toyota can sell that many Corollas.

Maybe its not being "boring", rather owning a car simply as a mode of transportation. Shuttling one from awesome experience to the next. I'm in that camp, there's some I'd like to own but the reality is my suby gets me around freeing up limited cash for cooler shit, imho.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Maybe its not being "boring", rather owning a car simply as a mode of transportation. Shuttling one from awesome experience to the next. I'm in that camp, there's some I'd like to own but the reality is my suby gets me around freeing up limited cash for cooler shit, imho.

Hang on!  Were you not over in the "cool cars I'd like to own" thread recently?  :P

For the record, I agree with you.   A basic cheap to own, easy to park basic transportation vehicle is ideal.   Keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.  Toys for sunny days, Yes!

There is a line though...  and a Corolla is way above it for fit, finish, comfort and safety.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You'll have to take my Whitworth spanners out of my cold dead hands.

Still have mine from working on my dad's XKE fuel system

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Maybe its not being "boring", rather owning a car simply as a mode of transportation. Shuttling one from awesome experience to the next. I'm in that camp, there's some I'd like to own but the reality is my suby gets me around freeing up limited cash for cooler shit, imho.

Hey I didn't say they were a bad ownership option, My wife is on her second one and both have been very good reliable cars.  It doesn't exactly stir the soul though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, burndoc said:

Still have mine from working on my dad's XKE fuel system

I still have my Snap-On spoke wrench from my E-Type days.

Note the name - there was never any such animal as an XKE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Windward said:

Hang on!  Were you not over in the "cool cars I'd like to own" thread recently?  :P

For the record, I agree with you.   A basic cheap to own, easy to park basic transportation vehicle is ideal.   Keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.  Toys for sunny days, Yes!

There is a line though...  and a Corolla is way above it for fit, finish, comfort and safety.

Absolutely I was, there's plenty of vehicles I'd love to own. Reality is I drive beaters. In fact I drove a Subaru Outback for over 300K miles. Would still be driving it except for all the electrical gremlins I got tired of chasing. For example the circuit to the alternator that tells it what the voltage is disintegrated. It originated in the cluster and had to go through some resistance, so I wired a single license plate light in the circuit, it worked. Not enough amps to light the bulb, just enough to tell the alternator what to do.

My truck on the other hand gets treated very well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I still have my Snap-On spoke wrench from my E-Type days.

Note the name - there was never any such animal as an XKE.

US market they were XK-E

everywhere else E type. 

Damn Yankees 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, this is a real photo from the Facebook page of a new pizza place in my town.

Yes, those are Cheetos along with genuine fior di latte mozarella.

I really don't know what else to say about it.

 

Polish Pizza.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

OK, this is a real photo from the Facebook page of a new pizza place in my town.

Yes, those are Cheetos along with genuine fior di latte mozarella.

I really don't know what else to say about it.

 

Polish Pizza.jpg

o mój Boże...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

OK, this is a real photo from the Facebook page of a new pizza place in my town.

Yes, those are Cheetos along with genuine fior di latte mozarella.

I really don't know what else to say about it.

 

Polish Pizza.jpg

why...you need to say why...to the pizza place people, over and over until they stop doing that!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites