1 hour ago, longy said:

There seems to be a removable section above the lid? All I can think of is this is some response to gov't regulation requiring a certain amount of space around/in front of the shitter. There are exposed pipes along the baseboards, so this looks like industrial/commercial  

when you want an inwall tank but don't want to pay for it..

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

The very rare and endangered Labrador Seal.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, longy said:

There seems to be a removable section above the lid? All I can think of is this is some response to gov't regulation requiring a certain amount of space around/in front of the shitter. There are exposed pipes along the baseboards, so this looks like industrial/commercial  

You're assuming this is in a "first world" nation?

I'd suggest there was originally an in wall or ceiling tank which was leaking and couldn't be replaced with anything similar. So they installed a behind the pan tank as best they could. And yes, that looks like a removable panel above the tank.

A tad difficult to see, but please, gentle reader, take note of the engine controls to the lower right of the helmsman's station. The wheel also appears to be ready for a windvane or autopilot. nice forward thinking - no planned obsolescence!

IMG_2163.jpg

No wonder the boat has been left to become a zombie.

People sure do some expensive and time consuming weird shit to their boats.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not quite right..

awMrg3Q_460swp.webp

That's the quick disconnect for fast brake changes.

5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

How many 10 mm sockets does it take to work on a car these days? I never have enough...

Ha! Just had to change battery on my daughter’s car. GM Traverse, battery under floor in back seat. 10mm nuts clamping cables on. And the wiring harness going from battery to engine compartment still had tag on it that said “made in China.”  I suppose if you buy enough containers of harnesses the dollars saved add up. No idea if they are still getting them from there. 

32 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

Ha! Just had to change battery on my daughter’s car. GM Traverse, battery under floor in back seat. 10mm nuts clamping cables on. And the wiring harness going from battery to engine compartment still had tag on it that said “made in China.”  I suppose if you buy enough containers of harnesses the dollars saved add up. No idea if they are still getting them from there. 

Toyota sells about 1.5 million Corollas a year, if you can save 5 cents a car.....

It's amazing that there are that many boring people in the world that Toyota can sell that many Corollas.

4 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

So have you guys got rid of those imperial spanners?

You'll have to take my Whitworth spanners out of my cold dead hands.

33 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Toyota sells about 1.5 million Corollas a year, if you can save 5 cents a unit.....

Corrected to the proper Bean Counter-speak.

9 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

It's amazing that there are that many boring people in the world that Toyota can sell that many Corollas.

Maybe its not being "boring", rather owning a car simply as a mode of transportation. Shuttling one from awesome experience to the next. I'm in that camp, there's some I'd like to own but the reality is my suby gets me around freeing up limited cash for cooler shit, imho.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Maybe its not being "boring", rather owning a car simply as a mode of transportation. Shuttling one from awesome experience to the next. I'm in that camp, there's some I'd like to own but the reality is my suby gets me around freeing up limited cash for cooler shit, imho.

Hang on!  Were you not over in the "cool cars I'd like to own" thread recently?  :P

For the record, I agree with you.   A basic cheap to own, easy to park basic transportation vehicle is ideal.   Keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.  Toys for sunny days, Yes!

There is a line though...  and a Corolla is way above it for fit, finish, comfort and safety.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You'll have to take my Whitworth spanners out of my cold dead hands.

Still have mine from working on my dad's XKE fuel system

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Hey I didn't say they were a bad ownership option, My wife is on her second one and both have been very good reliable cars.  It doesn't exactly stir the soul though.

57 minutes ago, burndoc said:

Still have mine from working on my dad's XKE fuel system

I still have my Snap-On spoke wrench from my E-Type days.

Note the name - there was never any such animal as an XKE.

3 hours ago, Windward said:

Hang on!  Were you not over in the "cool cars I'd like to own" thread recently?  :P

For the record, I agree with you.   A basic cheap to own, easy to park basic transportation vehicle is ideal.   Keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.  Toys for sunny days, Yes!

There is a line though...  and a Corolla is way above it for fit, finish, comfort and safety.

Absolutely I was, there's plenty of vehicles I'd love to own. Reality is I drive beaters. In fact I drove a Subaru Outback for over 300K miles. Would still be driving it except for all the electrical gremlins I got tired of chasing. For example the circuit to the alternator that tells it what the voltage is disintegrated. It originated in the cluster and had to go through some resistance, so I wired a single license plate light in the circuit, it worked. Not enough amps to light the bulb, just enough to tell the alternator what to do.

My truck on the other hand gets treated very well.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I still have my Snap-On spoke wrench from my E-Type days.

Note the name - there was never any such animal as an XKE.

US market they were XK-E

everywhere else E type. 

Damn Yankees 

• Like 1

OK, this is a real photo from the Facebook page of a new pizza place in my town.

Yes, those are Cheetos along with genuine fior di latte mozarella.

I really don't know what else to say about it.

Polish Pizza.jpg

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

OK, this is a real photo from the Facebook page of a new pizza place in my town.

Polish Pizza.jpg

o mój Boże...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Polish Pizza.jpg

why...you need to say why...to the pizza place people, over and over until they stop doing that!

• Like 1

They do stuff that weird to pizza in England - or did some years back.

diced potato :wacko:

Egg :wacko:

A lot of people don't seem to recognize the distinction between creativity and stupidity.

• Like 4
On 1/11/2021 at 12:14 AM, floating dutchman said:

Toyota sells about 1.5 million Corollas a year, if you can save 5 cents a car.....

I've reformed from that school of thought since high school.    Car's don't broad reach very well.   Cool wheels may have been helpful to get a date in medieval era high school, now girls seem to have different priorities.   The GF's boys never seem handicapped by lack of wheels or boring wheels.    Her son traded my heavily used Explorer 2 door, stick, cherry interior, fourth stereo (Cassette -> CD -> USB -> Bluetooth),  4wd, class II hitch, for a corolla sedan with speckled paint.   His dating  wasn't affected.    Certainly adult women don't seem too worried about what I drive.   Traffic jams have destroyed the allure of the open road late 70's movies romanticized.  

I've come to the conclusion my Focus is just as fast as a Corvette, within the limits of the law.   A certain amount of comfort is nice for trips:  Sirius; AC, Cruise; decent seats.   A certain amount of cargo ability is important if you haul boats.   A certain amount of all terrain is useful if you don't want to get up early and shovel the drive.   Beyond that, a car is a tool.  Toyota is good if you expect to drive more then 250,000 miles before the body rusts out or the car gets totaled by a texting kid.    Ford is great if you don't.   

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Lark said:

I've come to the conclusion my Focus is just as fast as a Corvette, within the limits of the law.   A certain amount of comfort is nice for trips:  Sirius; AC, Cruise; decent seats.   A certain amount of cargo ability is important if you haul boats.   A certain amount of all terrain is useful if you don't want to get up early and shovel the drive.   Beyond that, a car is a tool.  Toyota is good if you expect to drive more then 250,000 miles before the body rusts out or the car gets totaled by a texting kid.    Ford is great if you don't.   

i came to that conclusion some years ago, when premium gas was $4 a gallon (remember those days) to replace a tire was $200.... it was fun to drive but after a truck too out the integra GSR...  wife went out and got a prius v,   can fit my 10' sails,  fold down the seats and it has more room than a jeep cherokee,  40 miles to the gallon while cruising at 75 mph...   did a road trip to jacksonville and back to dallas, ran flawlessly,  even in the monsoon on US 10.   it's transportation... if i want thrills , i go borrow my friends bike..

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

A lot of people don't seem to recognize the distinction between creativity and stupidity.

in the 60's on the farm pizza was this

Kraft Pizza Kit - 450g

in the 70's and 80's in SK pizza place proliferated and they were ALL this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza

I'm told that the Hawiaan, ham and pineapple, originated in the western canadian greek pizza places...apparently it's quite a divisive topic.

I was told that Oregon folks like to put honey on pizza.

NQR

I did try spicy honey something, and while not a fan, it was passible.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Was going to Aberdeen Scotland for work on regular basis a few years back.  Learned to order each topping specifically when, after the second time ordering a "supreme" or some such marketing term, the pizza came with corn kernels on it.  I am in the upper Midwest USA, surrounded by cornfields, and we have never thought to put corn on our pizza.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BayRacer said:

Was going to Aberdeen Scotland for work on regular basis a few years back.  Learned to order each topping specifically when, after the second time ordering a "supreme" or some such marketing term, the pizza came with corn kernels on it.  I am in the upper Midwest USA, surrounded by cornfields, and we have never thought to put corn on our pizza.

count your blessings!

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Polish Pizza.jpg

needs Velveeta or CheezWhiz

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lark said:

I've reformed from that school of thought since high school.    Car's don't broad reach very well.   Cool wheels may have been helpful to get a date in medieval era high school, now girls seem to have different priorities.   The GF's boys never seem handicapped by lack of wheels or boring wheels.    Her son traded my heavily used Explorer 2 door, stick, cherry interior, fourth stereo (Cassette -> CD -> USB -> Bluetooth),  4wd, class II hitch, for a corolla sedan with speckled paint.   His dating  wasn't affected.    Certainly adult women don't seem too worried about what I drive.   Traffic jams have destroyed the allure of the open road late 70's movies romanticized.  

Some of us gave up the urban rat race and live where the daily drive is not a bumper to bumper agony fest so we do drive interesting and fun cars.  Sometimes we just take the S2000 out for a drive because the weather is great and we want to enjoy it.  

As to Ed's Pizza?  I never want to hear him bragging about European food again.....

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Polish Pizza.jpg

That looks like something I could polish off for lunch.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:
3 hours ago, Lark said:

Some of us gave up the urban rat race and live where the daily drive is not a bumper to bumper agony fest so we do drive interesting and fun cars.  Sometimes we just take the S2000 out for a drive because the weather is great and we want to enjoy it.  

What happened to the concept of driving nice wheels for personal pleasure - that they are enjoyable to drive and not just to get somewhere?

Driving my blown Jag makes me feel good.

As for the idea of buying a car to impress the girls - AYFKM? Are there a bunch of small dicked 16 year olds here?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

What happened to the concept of driving nice wheels for personal pleasure - that they are enjoyable to drive and not just to get somewhere?

As for the idea of buying a car to impress the girls - AYFKM? Are there a bunch of 16 year olds here?

Have you spent any time in PA lately?>

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Polish Pizza.jpg

disgusting...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lark said:

After my youngest graduated and got a (great) job, I treated myself to a mustang convertible. On a pretty day when I'd like to be sailing, but can't, top down cruising sorta scratches the itch. Ford has come a long, long, long way in build quality over the last 20 years. Took delivery 3 years ago next week. Toyota has nothing to compete with that.

However, I'm stupidly looking to buy a truck for a 3rd car, and the Tundra is an awesome truck. Will probably buy a 3-4 year old used one and drive it occasionally for the rest of my life

22 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Have you spent any time in PA lately?>

Lots - there aren't any 16 year olds in there - just a passel of rather moronic, fully grown elk.

Granted, the distinction can be moot.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Driving my blown Jag makes me feel good.

As for the idea of buying a car to impress the girls - AYFKM? Are there a bunch of small dicked 16 year olds here?

Maybe not impress, but avoid pissing off - she gave me an eclectic list of requirements.  Cupholders, clicker, clutch and a trunk 46 inches wide.

8 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Cars have come a long, long, long way in build quality over the last 20 years.

FTFY.

Now is the golden age of performance cars. 900 HP off the showroom floor - in a sedan. :blink:

9 second 1/4 miles off the showroom floor - in a sedan.

Any car with performance aspirations has HP exceeding the hottest muscle cars of yore.

With 3 times the gas mileage and the reliability of a brick. Plus brakes and handling.

Remember when 0-60 in 5 was the stuff of song lyrics?

Now family sedans do it in under 3.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

FTFY.

Now is the golden age of performance cars. 900 HP off the showroom floor - in a sedan. :blink:

9 second 1/4 miles off the showroom floor - in a sedan.

Any car with performance aspirations has HP exceeding the hottest muscle cars of yore.

With 3 times the gas mileage and the reliability of a brick. Plus brakes and handling.

No question that you are correct, but I think Ford still gets a bad rap from people that haven't owned one in decades. I wasn't really talking about the performance aspect, although even that 4 banger turbo is plenty for me, but build quality. I've been impressed with the fit and finish. That was my point

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

As to Ed's Pizza?  I never want to hear him bragging about European food again.....

Country roads have the speed limit enforced by stray livestock, deer and combines.    I don't think I'd be going 150 down them anyway.   If the weather is nice but there's no wind I've found bicycles and canoes to be a carbon friendly alternative without the need to drive to a gym.   :P.    

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

No question that you are correct, but I think Ford still gets a bad rap from people that haven't owned one in decades. I wasn't really talking about the performance aspect, although even that 4 banger turbo is plenty for me, but build quality. I've been impressed with the fit and finish. That was my point

All part & parcel.

No-one makes a "bad" car anymore. People who say that shit don't remember what cars were like BITD.

They had way more style or soul than now - but the trouble...

Remember spring & fall tuneups? And that meant parts and real work, not just a checkover.

Bias tires that lasted maybe 20K miles - the spare (remember them) was always used at some point (remember blowouts?).

Drum brakes that were more of a suggestion that real stoppers.

Suspensions that would drag the rocker panel like a bikers knee if you tried cornering hard.

Body rust through within 3 to 5 years.

100K miles was the typical life of a car.

Plugs & points, vacuum operated wipers, incandescent headlights, balancing carburetors ...

The Good Old Days :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

All part & parcel.

No-one makes a "bad" car anymore. People who say that shit don't remember what cars were like BITD.

Remember spring & fall tuneups? And that meant parts and real work, not just a checkover.

Bias tires that lasted maybe 20K miles - the spare (remember them) was always used at some point (remember blowouts?).

Suspensions that would drag the rocker panel if you tried cornering hard.

Plugs & points, vacuum operated wipers, incandescent headlights, balancing carburetors ...

Sounds like you may even be older than ME! 

Just now, On The Hard said:

Sounds like you may even be older than ME! 

Got my license in the Summer of Love. :D

That whole list was all cars. Electronic ignitions were almost a decade off, proper digital fuel injection was 20 years off, radial tires were exotic Euro stuff, front disc brakes were a pricey option.

Ain't no rose in the tint of my glasses.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

All part & parcel.

Suspensions that would drag the rocker panel if you tried cornering hard.

100%.     My grandpa told me the story of his brother driving him from Cleveland to Florida back in the 1920's.   They went through five spare tires.    That was considered normal.  He remembered, since he was the one buying new tires.   There's a reason the antique roadster at the show has a spare on each running board.   Any less meant you might not make it to the next city.   By the time I was alive he still traded his cars in at 80,000 miles.   For most of his life they were worn out by that time.   Sure the Bonneville could run 2 quarts low on oil and a gallon low on antifreeze, but nobody expected it to flip the odometer more then once even with good maintenance (back when odometers only went up to 99,000 miles because that was plenty).     My Dad had teenage memories of polishing the bumper of the family car (probably an early 50's Chevrolet) when he had permission to borrow it for a hot date.   His hand  went right through the chrome, the steel had rotted away from the inside.   Yea, plastic cars are terrible.     I don't even remember how to set dwell anymore.   The last time I did was on a 1966 Volvo Penta.   I still have the meter if anybody wants one.   A younger guy I know works as a diesel mechanic.   He longs for cars 'made right in the good old days'.   Sure you could change the plugs on a straight six farm truck in the rain.    Just climb under the hood, there was plenty of room next to the engine.   How often did those plugs need changed?    The old guys that taught me to swing a wrench told me to replace belts and hoses every three years or so.   

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ish cane be verrey ecsoterric some tines..............           :)

well, question well met, i mean i' don't know how the Polish off anything really.

30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

All part & parcel.

Suspensions that would drag the rocker panel like a bikers knee if you tried cornering hard.

Many good points, but as to no "bad" cars ... Land Rover?

Tire Mileage?  I remember new tires every year - before Michelin radials in the US

4 hours ago, On The Hard said:

However, I'm stupidly looking to buy a truck for a 3rd car, and the Tundra is an awesome truck. Will probably buy a 3-4 year old used one and drive it occasionally for the rest of my life

I did exactly that. A 2019 Tacoma (not Tundra) as the third car - for the unfledged kids and for when I need a truck. Wife has a Lincoln luxboat I don't particularly care for, and I've got a Chev Bolt as my DD. (Had free charging at work, work from home kinda killed the $$ gains there)

The Tacoma is astonishingly mediocre. (my third Toyota product) It's ok and all, but just doesn't have any soul, it's too big (all trucks are now), is gutless, drinks too much fuel, etc... It's just OK. Not fun to drive. But there to haul drywall, boat parts, etc.. It replaced a 160K mile 1998 Ford Ranger that was the best vehicle I've ever owned. Small, cheap, easy to drive because it wasn't the size of an aircraft carrier,  got close to 30mpg. Great truck. Just got to the point where I was wrenching too much on it. 

The Bolt, OTOH, is an amazingly good vehicle. Except for the stupid automatic A/C that was programmed by chimps, it's a great car. Zippy as all get out. Nimble, quiet, no rattles, interior is better than I expected from GM. Nowhere near Lincoln, but nowhere near the $$. Better than the Tacoma. And it's a ball to drive. Love not stopping at gas stations. The brakes will never wear out. As close to zero maintenance as possible (first scheduled maint is at 150,000 miles. Change the battery coolant). Get in, push the button, drive. 

Cars are so much better now than they used to be. No points. No carbs.  Heck, no distributor any more. Them newfangled computer controls on the FI actually work really freaking good at improving cold starts, drivability, and fuel economy. I said to myself 20-25 years ago, I will never own nothing with a carburetor except lawn equipment again. Broke that rule for awhile with an A4 powered boat, but I came to my senses.... 

I don't really know where the land of not quite right is here, except for a rather old gearhead, I find I really like electric cars... That's not quite right, right? 

• Like 2

Yawn. Blah blah blah about cars. Get back to NQR stuff, please. I sold the truck but WILL start posting pics of my new minivan so you can all be as bored as I am if you don't cut it out.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

Many good points, but as to no "bad" cars ... Land Rover?

I've got an old Range Rover HSE with 120K.

The answer is no. A couple of coolant hoses and a split header tank.

Like I said - nobody makes a "bad" car anymore. A fragile cupholder is a major defect nowadays.

Any one else remember the old Volvo ads that bragged that the Volvo "lasted 11 years in Sweden".  The old cars certainly did not hold up well to the prairie winters.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Got my license in the Summer of Love. :D

That whole list was all cars. Electronic ignitions were almost a decade off, proper digital fuel injection was 20 years off, radial tires were exotic Euro stuff, front disc brakes were a pricey option.

Ain't no rose in the tint of my glasses.

Got mine the year before. My first car was a '57 Chevy. Last North American car I ever owned. Looked much like this one.

aeb3fc8fb8ec148d8b6bc992b39f9262.jpg

That colour was Desert Rose wasn't it? ;)

Starting off in a '57 Bel-Air should have made you a loyal Chevy man for decades, if not life.

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

please post a pic of your testicles hanging from the mirror... :P

Maybe if you put on some polarized glasses you can see through the glare...

MinvanSticker.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

please post a pic of your testicles hanging from the mirror... :P

He has to get them from his wife first!

On 1/10/2021 at 9:14 PM, floating dutchman said:

Ding!  

I would have killed to have had the Toyota import market for Kenya though.  When I was there back and forth last year, literally 8/10 cars AND trucks on the road were Toyota.  When you would see the odd Hyundai or Mercedes, they stuck out like sore thumbs in the sea of white Toyota Yaris's and Prados.  

On 1/12/2021 at 4:13 AM, Ed Lada said:

Polish Pizza.jpg

Well, other than Poland is fucked up?  Well, you guys are "Trump Lite", so that sorta follows.......

On 1/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, floating dutchman said:

I'm still puzzled by the fact that some people seem to think that every meal they have needs to be posted on face book.

This^^!!!!!!!  Who the fuck cares what you had to eat for lunch?

Edit:  Hence why I do not "facebook".  

28 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

This^^!!!!!!!  Who the fuck cares what you had to eat for lunch?

Edit:  Hence why I do not "facebook".  

Stirring up someone's meal just when they're setting up the shot..... Priceless. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Well, other than Poland is fucked up?  Well, you guys are "Trump Lite", so that sorta follows.......

What's your point flyboy?  Yes, the ultra conservative Right wing Polish government is terrible but at least it's only Poland.  They really don't have a lot of influence outside Poland's borders unlike the US.  

Back to the pizza crime, here is a poem they put on FB about their pizza.  

"Nigdzie więcej,

Nie skosztujesz,

Tak wytwornej pizzy,

Więc nie zwlekaj, zapraszamy,

Nie ma lepszej w okolicy!"

And translated into English

′′ Nowhere else,

You won't taste,

Such a refined pizza,

So don't delay, we invite you,

There is no better one around!"

They are certainly right about the "Nowhere else" part.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:13 AM, Ed Lada said:

Polish Pizza.jpg

Their pizzas are infested with large orange maggots?

Just now, slap said:

Their pizzas are infested with large orange maggots?

I think orange maggots would be better than Cheetos!  You can explain that maggots happen, so sorry.  Cheetos shows intent and that's disgusting.

• Like 2
On 1/12/2021 at 4:32 PM, SloopJonB said:

GM has stretched the "rust through" figure on trucks all the way to 6 years :lol: