• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, chester said:

Dizzy's legacy is safe 

giant-cheeks-dizzy-gillespie-4.png

With total respect to the late Mr. G, that image only evokes butt cheeks to me.

did someone wake up with Bullfrogs on their mind?

• Like 2

I'm not sure what thread this should be in...

Saw this on SV Seeker today. 

Should it be in the food thread?  Probably.

Hilarious logo.  I wonder if it helps or hurts the business.

https://rub-yourmeat.com/

27 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

pay wall.

"Dangerous" isn't the word I'd use to describe the life of an "NFL cheerleader".

Clickbait times two.

The story showcases the meager pay and strict guidelines these women endure. And there's no T 'n A.

In short, you're not missing much at all.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:59 PM, SloopJonB said:

That colour was Desert Rose wasn't it? ;)

Starting off in a '57 Bel-Air should have made you a loyal Chevy man for decades, if not life.

Mine was more brown than rose. I bought it for $200 in 1967. It was a car. 

45 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Mine was more brown than rose. I bought it for $200 in 1967. It was a car. 

Careful there Ish - talking like that about a '57 Bel-Air could put your man card in jeopardy.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:39 PM, SloopJonB said:

Careful there Ish - talking like that about a '57 Bel-Air could put your man card in jeopardy.

Meh. Everyone had ridiculously collectible stuff. My friend with the '49 Hudson also owned a very early Harley. Another friend bought a new AMC Javelin off the lot. We were louts, we didn't care. 

I was in that Hudson when it went off the road and backwards through the fence into the parking lot at the A&W Drive-in. Very exciting. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Did the car hop still take your order?

They were a little busy at the time. I recall we had to go inside to order while the cops and tow truck did their thing. 

617a7acf154de8848f502552d5d4ac45

Be sure to double check your background before any Zoom conferences or live likes to the BBC...

8 minutes ago, VWAP said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/bloke-penis-held-ransom-hackers-23412940

Bloke has his penis held to ransom by hackers who took control of digital chastity belt

Desperate, Sam sent the hackers the money they had demanded to unlock the cage, but even after paying them they refused to do so.

Gold!

8 hours ago, VWAP said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/bloke-penis-held-ransom-hackers-23412940

Bloke has his penis held to ransom by hackers who took control of digital chastity belt

not like the public was not warned such things could happen.  from October

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54436575

This seems to fit in better here than anywhere else.... Captions?

May be an image of car, outdoors and text that says '981WA3'

48 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

DTS, DIY

Having Grandma over for Christmas?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

DTS, DIY

Having Grandma over for Christmas?

Kind of like those remembrance stickers in the back windows of vehicles.  But taken to the next level.

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

The only thing they forgot was a bumper sticker on the coffin!

1 minute ago, captnjoe said:

The only thing they forgot was a bumper sticker on the coffin!

that was my first thought. then it was if they're really using it as a thule box ...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
7 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Aunt Edna ?

It wassente the coffine thay carried herre off in

It wase the coughe that carried herre offe................                                     :)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Weekend at Bernies III

image.jpeg.518b22739317944cf41f766dd5fc8f80.jpeg

?

8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

" I know it's padded and all, but I hope the kids are warm enough."

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

welcome to oklahoma...   land of the steers..

arMKoQ6_460swp.webp

I'm going to print that photo and when people here ask me why I don't want to live in the US, I'll show them the photo without any further comment.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm going to print that photo and when people here ask me why I don't want to live in the US, I'll show them the photo without any further comment.

I no youre existience in Poland is quiete upscalle, and glammerouse whille liveng up to youre "Jazzey Ed" monikere, butte Ime am stille alittelle saddened by youre willengness to dissmiss us alle do thet photo......................  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

welcome to oklahoma...   land of the steers..

arMKoQ6_460swp.webp

Those are some impressive rear springs/suspension.

Note the lack on any noticeable sag with all that weight on the tailgate.

Not to mention the cables for the tailgate.

14 minutes ago, Windward said:

Those are some impressive rear springs/suspension.

Note the lack on any noticeable sag with all that weight on the tailgate.

Not to mention the cables for the tailgate.

air bags

On 2/1/2021 at 12:04 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Another successful Costco find.

1 hour ago, cmonkey said:
On 2/1/2021 at 9:04 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Another successful Costco Craigslist find.

19 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I no youre existience in Poland is quiete upscalle, and glammerouse whille liveng up to youre "Jazzey Ed" monikere, butte Ime am stille alittelle saddened by youre willengness to dissmiss us alle do thet photo......................  

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.  

Just most of them.  

I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the Army twice, and worked in civil service for the Army for a total of 20 years of service to my country. I didn't do it for the money, the travel part was nice, but the main reason I did it is because I believed in the US and wanted to give something back.  When I grew up, there were problems for sure, but I had a good life.  So I decide to repay my good fortune and see some of the world while I was at it.

Having lived almost half of my life in other countries, I have had the opportunity to observe my native land from a distance.  It's hard to see the forest for the trees as it were. So stepping back at a distance gives you a different perspective.  When I go home to visit, I readily see the changes because I don't live there all of the time.   I don't like what I've seen in the last 20 years or so, and I just see it getting worse.  I call the US 'The land of the large'.  Large country, large houses, large vehicles and large people.  When I go back to visit I hear people complaining about this, that and the other thing.  Yet they tell Alexa to buy this or that, put it on their credit card, and get it at their door the next day.  They got to restaurants to eat more often then they cook at home, and when they do cook they buy packaged salad greens, already roasted chickens, and every other form of prepackaged, precooked, pre-digested food that they can get their hands on.  They claim they are too busy to cook because they are working 3 jobs so they can have a TV and computer for every person in their overly large, cheaply built McMansion.  They drive to their jobs in massive 4x4 pick ups and SUVs and they never see a flake of snow or speck of mud.  For recreation they go to the local Wal Mart and buy endless amounts of made in China junk that they don't need and will soon discard. Then they demonize the Chinese communists for paying their workers fifty cents an hour.  They go to Harbor Freight and buy tools that are good for one use and then throw them out and complain that they just don't make shit like they used to.  They elect a narcissistic, sociopathic billionaire president and think that he will help the little people, and 4 years later wonder why the country is a mess.  

Of course those are a lot of generalizations, and not everyone in the US is like that.  But many people are.  They have been sold on the ridiculous idea that god made America so that white people can live lives of pseudo luxury, and think if they can just get a bigger SUV, a bigger house and fill it with more junk, they will be happy.  Because they are bombarded with 'social media influencers', glamourous plastic, fake people showing the masses what the good life looks like.  I find that very sad, but we all make choices.

There are plenty of problems here in Poland, and the rest of the world.  Unfortunately the materialism virus is a pandemic and it's spreading rapidly.  However it originated in the US because at some point the country sold its soul to the gods of money and stuff.  Success is defined by what you have, not what you are.  Even the people that haven't been totally infected by the virus still live in that society, and like the apocryphal boiling frog, they become vulnerable to it without even realizing it.  I don't like it, I don't like being around it and I won't live with it.  Even if I wanted to move back to the US, it would be very difficult.  Because I've been gone so long, I don't have a credit history in the US, so even trying to rent a place to live, get utilities, get a car loan, etc., would be virtually impossible.  Americans live and die by their credit score and I am a non-person because I have no credit.  Silly me for living within my modest means.  

So sorry for offending you and many other fine Americans, that wasn't my intention.  But I can't and I won't live there.  It's a good thing I'm old, because in another 25 years or so much of Europe will become like the US.  Particularly in the former communist countries of central/eastern Europe.  The people here have internet, they watch American films, they see what people to the west have and they want a piece of this fantasyland too.  I have run out of places to hide, even the remote areas of the world are being overrun by tourists and rampant capitalism.  So I will hunker down in my well built, modest, small, but very lovely home and sit in my garden and think about the downfall of civilization as I once knew it.  I feel bad for my daughter and my grand twins and the future they face. But as they say, "It is what it is" and there's not much I can do about it.  My years are numbered and I can't say that I feel too bad about that.  I did what I could to try to make the world a better place in my small way.  The world will be what it will be.  It's too bad that so many wrong choices were made along the way when so many other options were available. 

Like everyone, I walked my path in life, made my choices, and I did it my way and I am very happy about that.  I found my happiness the hard way, from within, through a life of retrospection, observing, and learning. I define myself by what I am, not by what I own.  Of course I'm not the only one that has done this, but I'm pretty sure that we are in the minority. 

If I had to chose a theme song for my life, it would be this classic, it pretty much says it all:

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows
I took the blows
And did it my way

Yes, it was my way

• Like 19

I wouldn't call that a rant, it's a heartfelt and well written chunk of truth.

I've never been to the USA, but I've seen the same shit here in Australia over the last 20-30 years.  During that time I've increasingly lived out of town among the trees and wildlife, stopped meeting friends in bars, and if I can't pay cash for it I don't buy it. I never let my credit card balance get over $1,000. I've paid off my 6 acres + house in fifteen years. My Toyota is 18 years old, and still running fine. (...'cos it's a Toyota.....) Sounds boring but I really enjoy my life. Having a good dog, a big swimming pool, and a friend who owns a second-hand book shop helps.

I know a lot of guys 20 or 30 years younger than me, earning 2-3 times more, who are in debt up to their eyeballs. They have a motorbike, jet ski ( or two), a fishing boat, big truck, nice car for the missus, and a crappily-built fancy new house in the suburbs. They don't actually use the toys that often, their scant time off is spent drinking, gambling, and complaining how fucked life is.

Ed, I'll never get to Poland and you'll never get to Australia, but I just bought you a drink and I'll even drink it for you. (Hope you like Gin&Tonic) Dziekuje.

• Like 5
On 2/3/2021 at 10:24 PM, Ed Lada said:

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.  

Just most of them.  

I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the Army twice, and worked in civil service for the Army for a total of 20 years of service to my country. I didn't do it for the money, the travel part was nice, but the main reason I did it is because I believed in the US and wanted to give something back.  When I grew up, there were problems for sure, but I had a good life.  So I decide to repay my good fortune and see some of the world while I was at it.

Having lived almost half of my life in other countries, I have had the opportunity to observe my native land from a distance.  It's hard to see the forest for the trees as it were. So stepping back at a distance gives you a different perspective.  When I go home to visit, I readily see the changes because I don't live there all of the time.   I don't like what I've seen in the last 20 years or so, and I just see it getting worse.  I call the US 'The land of the large'.  Large country, large houses, large vehicles and large people.  When I go back to visit I hear people complaining about this, that and the other thing.  Yet they tell Alexa to buy this or that, put it on their credit card, and get it at their door the next day.  They got to restaurants to eat more often then they cook at home, and when they do cook they buy packaged salad greens, already roasted chickens, and every other form of prepackaged, precooked, pre-digested food that they can get their hands on.  They claim they are too busy to cook because they are working 3 jobs so they can have a TV and computer for every person in their overly large, cheaply built McMansion.  They drive to their jobs in massive 4x4 pick ups and SUVs and they never see a flake of snow or speck of mud.  For recreation they go to the local Wal Mart and buy endless amounts of made in China junk that they don't need and will soon discard. Then they demonize the Chinese communists for paying their workers fifty cents an hour.  They go to Harbor Freight and buy tools that are good for one use and then throw them out and complain that they just don't make shit like they used to.  They elect a narcissistic, sociopathic billionaire president and think that he will help the little people, and 4 years later wonder why the country is a mess.  

Of course those are a lot of generalizations, and not everyone in the US is like that.  But many people are.  They have been sold on the ridiculous idea that god made America so that white people can live lives of pseudo luxury, and think if they can just get a bigger SUV, a bigger house and fill it with more junk, they will be happy.  Because they are bombarded with 'social media influencers', glamourous plastic, fake people showing the masses what the good life looks like.  I find that very sad, but we all make choices.

There are plenty of problems here in Poland, and the rest of the world.  Unfortunately the materialism virus is a pandemic and it's spreading rapidly.  However it originated in the US because at some point the country sold its soul to the gods of money and stuff.  Success is defined by what you have, not what you are.  Even the people that haven't been totally infected by the virus still live in that society, and like the apocryphal boiling frog, they become vulnerable to it without even realizing it.  I don't like it, I don't like being around it and I won't live with it.  Even if I wanted to move back to the US, it would be very difficult.  Because I've been gone so long, I don't have a credit history in the US, so even trying to rent a place to live, get utilities, get a car loan, etc., would be virtually impossible.  Americans live and die by their credit score and I am a non-person because I have no credit.  Silly me for living within my modest means.  

So sorry for offending you and many other fine Americans, that wasn't my intention.  But I can't and I won't live there.  It's a good thing I'm old, because in another 25 years or so much of Europe will become like the US.  Particularly in the former communist countries of central/eastern Europe.  The people here have internet, they watch American films, they see what people to the west have and they want a piece of this fantasyland too.  I have run out of places to hide, even the remote areas of the world are being overrun by tourists and rampant capitalism.  So I will hunker down in my well built, modest, small, but very lovely home and sit in my garden and think about the downfall of civilization as I once knew it.  I feel bad for my daughter and my grand twins and the future they face. But as they say, "It is what it is" and there's not much I can do about it.  My years are numbered and I can't say that I feel too bad about that.  I did what I could to try to make the world a better place in my small way.  The world will be what it will be.  It's too bad that so many wrong choices were made along the way when so many other options were available. 

Like everyone, I walked my path in life, made my choices, and I did it my way and I am very happy about that.  I found my happiness the hard way, from within, through a life of retrospection, observing, and learning. I define myself by what I am, not by what I own.  Of course I'm not the only one that has done this, but I'm pretty sure that we are in the minority. 

If I had to chose a theme song for my life, it would be this classic, it pretty much says it all:

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows
I took the blows
And did it my way

Yes, it was my way

An old guy having a rant about how the world has changed, strike me down with a feather. :lol:

10 hours ago, Happy said:

I wouldn't call that a rant, it's a heartfelt and well written chunk of truth.

I wouldn't call it a rant either. and being a native USer, of a similar vintage , having spent a little bit of time outside this country, I agree with most of it. 

20 years ago I woulda said "Fuck you! .....'Murica!!!" and waved my flags and credit cards around... 

But it was 20 years ago or so that I was in Antigua during our "hanging chad" debacle. That was the first time I was ever embarrassed to say where I was from. 

The behavior of our politicians, and the people that put them in place has only gotten worse since. 

This country is now not quite right.... mostly because of the vitriol of the two dominant political parties. Neither one is solely responsible. 

• Like 3

Man Joins Navy To Prove The Earth Is Flat, Quickly Finds Out It Isn't

"I have an acquaintance I met in the Navy, who joined specifically so he could see that the Earth was flat while at sea," user TrungusMcTungus wrote of their extremely committed compadre.

"Every day he would chart the ships location, speed, heading, etc, a few times a day so he could make a map of their path. Ultimately he realized that the path the ship was taking would be impossible if the Earth was flat, based on the distance they were traveling vs their speed."

The man apparently became suspicious that the Earth was actually round, but before he could take steps taken by scientists centuries ago and figure it out for himself, his Leading Petty Officer "pointed out the curvature by giving him binoculars and explaining that if the Earth was flat, he should be able to see the land they were making for," the Redditor wrote. "He couldn't see anything off the horizon. After that, he was convinced."

38 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

If the earth were flat, no matter what geometry you come up with, you will weigh significantly less at the edges than the center of the flat earth.  F=Gm1m2/R squared

• Like 1

Can it be possible that there are people who truly believe the Earth is flat - not just pranksters having fun?

Is it possible for a functioning adult to be that stupid?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Can it be possible that there are people who truly believe the Earth is flat - not just pranksters having fun?

Yes.

Any other question?

:rolleyes:

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You mean like "Jewish space lasers causing California wildfires" stupid?

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yes.

Any other question?

:rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, slap said:

You mean like "Jewish space lasers causing California wildfires" stupid?

You're right - dumb question.

You'd think the last 4 years woulda learned me sumpin.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:18 AM, SloopJonB said:

I once knew someone who bought a 2nd hand Casket at an auction.

Who would buy a 2nd hand Casket???

Anyway...to get it home he drilled some holes in the roof of his car and bolted it on.

Repaired the holes when he got home.

12 minutes ago, RobbieP said:

I once knew someone who bought a 2nd hand Casket at an auction.

Who would buy a 2nd hand Casket???

Anyway...to get it home he drilled some holes in the roof of his car and bolted it on.

Repaired the holes when he got home.

Scroll up about 8 posts.  There it is!

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Man Joins Navy To Prove The Earth Is Flat, Quickly Finds Out It Isn't

"I have an acquaintance I met in the Navy, who joined specifically so he could see that the Earth was flat while at sea," user TrungusMcTungus wrote of their extremely committed compadre.

"Every day he would chart the ships location, speed, heading, etc, a few times a day so he could make a map of their path. Ultimately he realized that the path the ship was taking would be impossible if the Earth was flat, based on the distance they were traveling vs their speed."

The man apparently became suspicious that the Earth was actually round, but before he could take steps taken by scientists centuries ago and figure it out for himself, his Leading Petty Officer "pointed out the curvature by giving him binoculars and explaining that if the Earth was flat, he should be able to see the land they were making for," the Redditor wrote. "He couldn't see anything off the horizon. After that, he was convinced."

Prolley aced hisse ASVABS.........                    :)

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you're question is "Can they breathe, eat and shit all by themselves and think things disappear after you push them off the bookshelf?"  Then yes, there are many that are that stupid.

Or, in other words, dumber than my cat. 

Bad Dog.jpg

32 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you know i'd like to get that woman drunk just to hear her stories  explore the top left corner of the hot/crazy matrix..

FTFY

• Like 2
On 2/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Looks like even the dead voters are bailing out of Illinois.....

Massachusetts but they are bolting there too..

My theory judging by the bumper stickers is they are from Boston proper.  Have the casket to use the HOV lane on Rt 93 to cut commute time figuring nobody is going to look inside for the extra person..   ;<)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

I wonder if the Flat Earthers also, generally believe that birds aren't real too?

Nothing is real!  

The Beatles said so.

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

9 hours ago, Laker said:

If the earth were flat, no matter what geometry you come up with, you will weigh significantly less at the edges than the center of the flat earth.  F=Gm1m2/R squared

And float away upwards rather than fall off???

15 hours ago, Laker said:

If the earth was infinitely thick, would the weight change be significant at the edge vs middle?

• Like 1

I think you get to the edge, look into the abyss and leap.  Only to find yourself on the opposite edge 1000's of miles away.

It's a curious quirk of physics that is little understood.

This would explain how people claim to "circumnavigate" when in fact they are simply starting over.

*** Oh, and all islands are floating as the esteemed US Senator eloquently explains.  If they were heavy/non-buoyant, they would sink.   Sheish...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

If the earth was infinitely thick, would the weight change be significant at the edge vs middle?

I hadn't thought of an infinitely thick cylinder.  You are right. Problem is that if it was an infinite cylinder, we would be squashed like a bug from the gravitational force.  Even with thick cylinders, we would have evolved to look quite different so it becomes total value of weight vs weight change.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Windward said:

This would explain how people claim to "circumnavigate" when in fact they are simply starting over.

Starting over with an extra $200?

• Like 2

If you jump off the edge of a flat earth, just for grins imagine it's an inverted conic shape like something from an old Yes album cover, where do you fall?  You'd die from old age before you would likely hit anything.  And could you survive the impact given weightlessness the deceleration G forces might be minimal?  Or do you just go into orbit?  Surely a conspiracy by NASA and space contractors to get big budgets - when if we just launched from the edge orbital flight would be automatic. :D

• Like 1