Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

Posted Images

On 2/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, Ed Lada said:

May be a cartoon

potato-1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Didde alle thisse crazey stuffe starte in juste the laste foire yeares?  Seemes licke may of beene buildeng longuere............                  :)

just goes to show, people working retail for minimum wage are tired of the bullshit..  behave like a human, get treated like a human..   as a customer, you are not special..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just goes to show, people working retail for minimum wage are tired of the bullshit..  behave like a human, get treated like a human..   as a customer, you are not special..

Yep. Lots of frustration out there and now would be an excellent time for people to remember that this thin veil of civilized behavior only goes so far. Manners matter

 

WL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just goes to show, people working retail for minimum wage are tired of the bullshit..  behave like a human, get treated like a human..   as a customer, you are not special..

I just don’t get why we - in the immortal words of Rodney King - “can’t all just get along?” The two primary antagonists did not look like the sharpest tools in the shed, but why would they then refuse to leave the store and take on the employees? I’ve seen those behaviors so many times - I have stories - and still don’t get it. I do get a kick out of it when they pull each other’s wigs off. When we get there they have always put them back on......sort of. Very hard not to laugh.......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

interesting that there is no food splatters anywhere?

I wouldnt say there's none, unless someone's been flicker they're boogies on the ceiling...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 12:57 AM, Point Break said:

I just don’t get why we - in the immortal words of Rodney King - “can’t all just get along?” The two primary antagonists did not look like the sharpest tools in the shed

I honestly think some folks are forgetting how to behave in public.  They’ve been cooped up so long with limited human interaction beyond their family units and how they they act online behind the keyboard.   So this behavior is becoming “learned”.   

Hopefully more people who act like assholes will begin to get treated the same way and they will realize that It’s not the way to go through life.  

I doubt it though.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

I doubt it though.  

It will only get worse.  The human race is doomed.  It always has been, but modern technology is helping it happen even faster.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:
11 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I doubt it though.  

It will only get worse.  The human race is doomed.  It always has been, but modern technology is helping it happen even faster.

The internette is letteng assholles acte licke assholles withoute immediate repercussiones or justisse, that I grante you.  Karma hasa waye of patientley findeng the ritte momentte.  The proofe is in the puddeng.  Ime am siurre you cane add some annecdottes of you owen....                   :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

It will only get worse.  The human race is doomed.  It always has been, but modern technology is helping it happen even faster.

You supprise me..........                :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I honestly think some folks are forgetting how to behave in public.  They’ve been cooped up so long with limited human interaction beyond their family units and how they they act online behind the keyboard.   So this behavior is becoming “learned”.   

Hopefully more people who act like assholes will begin to get treated the same way and they will realize that It’s not the way to go through life.  

I doubt it though.  

I read a piece about the long-range thinker types at Google and Microsoft.  Apparently they think that it will take two generations of internet users learning social behaviour and technologu companies improving filters and administrative controls to manage the dis-information and trolling that is dominating the web today.  

Two human generations, not two iPhone generations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I read a piece about the long-range thinker types at Google and Microsoft.  Apparently they think that it will take two generations of internet users learning social behaviour and technologu companies improving filters and administrative controls to manage the dis-information and trolling that is dominating the web today.  

Two human generations, not two iPhone generations.

going to take longer than that, rednecks in the south are still fighting the civil war

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

going to take longer than that, rednecks in the south are still fighting the civil war

No, they thicke they our, butte thet wase a longue time aggo, they our juste re-grouppeng.                :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Dreade,

When our you and I gonig oute foire a beveriagge?

S.

i'm  not sure where you are .  thought PNW for awhile,  the  NE,  then  LI...  and then, then Keller..  you move a lot...   but would love to join you.. i'll buy the first two rounds to start things off..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

 The proofe is in the puddeng.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Left Shift said:

I read a piece about the long-range thinker types at Google and Microsoft.  Apparently they think that it will take two generations of internet users learning social behaviour and technologu companies improving filters and administrative controls to manage the dis-information and trolling that is dominating the web today.  

Two human generations, not two iPhone generations.

I don't think so, other antisocial behavior (drink driving for example) only took one generation to change (for the most part). I would expect that in one generation you would see significant change.

Of course you will never stamp it out completely, just like drink driving.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm  not sure where you are .  thought PNW for awhile,  the  NE,  then  LI...  and then, then Keller..  you move a lot...   but would love to join you.. i'll buy the first two rounds to start things off..

He's in Poland and he isn't going back!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Karma hasa waye of patientley findeng the ritte momentte.                  :)

That’s the problem though snags.   When people act like assholes, they need to be swatted with the rolled up newspaper right away, so they can correlate the punishment with the behavior.   Karma, stepping in hours, days or weeks later, is great, but the assholes are likely not able to attribute karma to a specific action or behavior.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're saying they should be punched in the mouth the minute that stop whatever asshole thing they were doing? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

So you're saying they should be punched in the mouth the minute that stop whatever asshole thing they were doing? :D

Not the worst idea.  But here is an example of instant justice.  

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/453238/video-suspended-driver-with-a-toddler-in-his-car-brings-firetruck-to-a-stop-in-road-rage-incident/

UPDATE: Trooper First Class Joseph Rutkoski, from the Maryland State Police Leonardtown Barrack, ticketed Christopher Tyler, 30, of Lexington Park, for the following:

  • driving a motor vehicle without required license and authorization
  • driving a motor vehicle on a highway or public use property on a suspended out-of-state license
  • negligent driving a vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner and endangering property, life, and person
  • changing lanes when unsafe
  • failure to use a turn signal prior to a turn
  • stopping a vehicle in an intersection
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Major Major in Catch 22 - he stumbled on parade and was charged with "breaking ranks while in formation, felonious assault, listening to classical music, and being a smart guy".

Not smart to be an asshole with someone who can really fuck you up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Not the worst idea.  But here is an example of instant justice.  

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/453238/video-suspended-driver-with-a-toddler-in-his-car-brings-firetruck-to-a-stop-in-road-rage-incident/

UPDATE: Trooper First Class Joseph Rutkoski, from the Maryland State Police Leonardtown Barrack, ticketed Christopher Tyler, 30, of Lexington Park, for the following:

  • driving a motor vehicle without required license and authorization
  • driving a motor vehicle on a highway or public use property on a suspended out-of-state license
  • negligent driving a vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner and endangering property, life, and person
  • changing lanes when unsafe
  • failure to use a turn signal prior to a turn
  • stopping a vehicle in an intersection

He needs a Wooden Shampoo, then a nice long Time Out!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

after I finished the cooking,  I worked on the plumbing...

aV7YRgM_460swp.webp

A plumber with a sense of humour. And everyone thought they were just about ass-cracks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

a3EQWEN_460swp.webp

did he get the extended warranty?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VWAP said:
Quote

There is no indication in court records that the pickle was seized as evidence.

He was not charged for displaying it and I'm not sure whether ramming it into your ass is actually a crime. So I guess the lucky cop had no need to take it as evidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thack god foire that quicke rellease exstinguishere!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. If a fire extinguisher is required then figure in a few extra minutes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thack god foire that quicke rellease exstinguishere!

Quick!  Extinguish the fire on the concrete!  It might spread!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glock seized in a NC drug bust.    

The sheriff's office said that firearms are often found when conducting searches for large amounts of narcotics and while it is not illegal to have disguised weapons, they are nevertheless "concerning to law enforcement."

Nerf.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lark said:

Glock seized in a NC drug bust.    

The sheriff's office said that firearms are often found when conducting searches for large amounts of narcotics and while it is not illegal to have disguised weapons, they are nevertheless "concerning to law enforcement."

Nerf.png

So they took a real glock and painted it?  I had a visceral reaction to this.  My kids have nerf guns.  The idea that they are painting real weapons to look like nerf guns and a cop might someday shoot my kid because they're worried my kid has a REAL gun....

And this isn't illegal?  But it's illegal to take the orange nose off a toy gun?

What the hell is wrong with this country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many legal guns used in criminal activity with the exception of wackos such as the Las Vegas shooter and Long in Atlanta this week. LV was premeditated with multiple guns purchased legally in multiple states and them “smuggled” into the hotel. Long apparently utilised Georgia’s “background check and take it home” policy to legally buy a 9mm and then headed for the massage parlor. 
 

Painting up a Glock to look like a nerf gun is a new low, clearly done to make a responding officer pause.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

So they took a real glock and painted it?  I had a visceral reaction to this.  My kids have nerf guns.  The idea that they are painting real weapons to look like nerf guns and a cop might someday shoot my kid because they're worried my kid has a REAL gun....

And this isn't illegal?  But it's illegal to take the orange nose off a toy gun?

What the hell is wrong with this country.

"My kids have nerf guns"...and there starts the gun culture, essentially in the cradle.  

Best thing my mom ever did for me was to mandate that we have no toy weapons in the house.  Still wanted my own cap pistol, of course, but she started my brain thinking about even pretend shooting and that was her point.  Then JFK, MLK, RFK and her point didn't have to be made anymore.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

"My kids have nerf guns"...and there starts the gun culture, essentially in the cradle.  

Best thing my mom ever did for me was to mandate that we have no toy weapons in the house.  Still wanted my own cap pistol, of course, but she started my brain thinking about even pretend shooting and that was her point.  Then JFK, MLK, RFK and her point didn't have to be made anymore.  

I'm not going down the stupid-hole that your assumptions are forming.

You probably also wouldn't understand why a dualie, a 4 wheel drive, and a 4 wheeler are all necessities in some cases either.

But then again, you've probably never had to chase down a horse broken out it's paddock cross country, drag a tree off a trail, pulled a cow out of the mud in the creek, driven through 3 and 4 foot snow to get your kids to school, or dispose of a predator that's preying on your goats and chickens on a regular basis either.  And I'm DAMN certain that you never had to put down your own dog after it got into a fight with a porcupine with the nearest vet over an hour away and the dog blind in both eyes with quills.  I suppose you'd be ok using a hammer.  I'm not.

Don't assume to know what my needs are, and I won't assume to know yours.  M'kay?

Here's my world.  How's yours?

image.thumb.png.5d8b4af41c2145c4843317274c22b891.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Detroit is a lot more rural than I had imagined.

Go about an hour an a half north of Detroit and see where you end up :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Sorry Mr. Seattle.  I'm not going down the stupid-hole that your assumptions are forming.

You probably also wouldn't understand why a dualie, a 4 wheel drive, and a 4 wheeler are all necessities in some cases either.

But then again, you've probably never had to chase down a horse broken out it's paddock cross country, pulled a cow out of the mud, driven through 3 and 4 foot snow to get your kids to school, or dispose of a predator that's preying on your goats and chickens on a regular basis either.

Don't assume to know what my needs are, and I won't assume to know yours.  M'kay?

You have your needs.  Fine.  I'm just doing it my Mom's way.  

For the record, I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. I've herded several types of critters, including cows, llamas and camels*, lived many miles up one-lane snow-covered, unplowed roads, had coyotes in our pen, bears in our fields and have helped deal with a wounded cougar in a barn in the middle of winter after it threatened a neighbor's daughter when she was feeding livestock.  

*Including herding one along with about 10 llamas on my skis and in my pajamas when the damn things got out over a snowed in cattle-guard on Christmas morning and headed for town.  That was more memorable than fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

Go about an hour an a half north of Detroit and see where you end up :lol:

Most weekday evenings, still in traffic.  :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

You have your needs.  Fine.  I'm just doing it my Mom's way.  

For the record, I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. I've herded several types of critters, including cows, llamas and camels*, lived many miles up one-lane snow-covered, unplowed roads, had coyotes in our pen, bears in our fields and have helped deal with a wounded cougar in a barn in the middle of winter after it threatened a neighbor's daughter when she was feeding livestock.  

*Including herding one along with about 10 llamas on my skis and in my pajamas when the damn things got out over a snowed in cattle-guard on Christmas morning and headed for town.  That was more memorable than fun.

Fair enough.  I made my own faulty assumptions.  And I'm not faulting your mom's way of handling it.  The world would probably be a better place if more parents did it that way.  Just don't think it's the only way - because in some cases guns are necessary.  Sorry I over-reacted.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids never got to have any toy guns. Because guns aren't toys. They're tools.

Not that I'm anti-gun. My oldest, when he was 10, got a single shot Springfield for his birthday because he had asked to take, and then completed a firearm safety course. (He got the bolt for his 18th birthday.) Neither of the other two ever expressed interest in firearms, toys or otherwise.

(I also prohibited toy musical instruments unless they were properly tuned--which never happened. My youngest now has a double degree in music and engineering.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Go about an hour an a half north of Detroit and see where you end up :lol:

Canada?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Fair enough.  I made my own faulty assumptions.  And I'm not faulting your mom's way of handling it.  The world would probably be a better place if more parents did it that way.  Just don't think it's the only way - because in some cases guns are necessary.  Sorry I over-reacted.

And since we are sharing pics, here's where I was talking about.  400 acres of fields and firs - you can just make out the 2.5 mile road in. Hell of a good sled ride.  To the left is the N. Cascades Wilderness 

(The odd thing is, there were certainly guns here and there but I can't remember anyone shooting for "fun" or taking one on a hike, even though there were certainly bears and cougars around. No wolves though.)

1249324735_ScreenShot2021-03-19at1_07_03PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

And since we are sharing pics, here's where I was talking about.  400 acres of fields and firs - you can just make out the 2.5 mile road in. Hell of a good sled ride.  To the left is the N. Cascades Wilderness 

(The odd thing is, there were certainly guns here and there but I can't remember anyone shooting for "fun" or taking one on a hike, even though there were certainly bears and cougars around. No wolves though.)

1249324735_ScreenShot2021-03-19at1_07_03PM.png

Hell is west of where Grrrr lives. Near Ann Arbor. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

Hell is west of where Grrrr lives. Near Ann Arbor. 

 

Around there aren't the only good sledding hills really just snow-covered mounds of cow poop?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, Grrr... said:

Fair enough.  I made my own faulty assumptions.  And I'm not faulting your mom's way of handling it.  The world would probably be a better place if more parents did it that way.  Just don't think it's the only way - because in some cases guns are necessary.  Sorry I over-reacted.

Respect.  I've been around here for a while and I don't recall seeing too many gracious, honest apologies.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 12:41 AM, dyslexic dog said:

Paradise is north about 200 miles.

Paradise, Pennsylvania is real close to Blue Ball and Intercourse.  

I always have found that interesting.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Paradise, Pennsylvania is real close to Blue Ball and Intercourse.  

I always have found that interesting.

We have a Climax, MI out near Kalamazoo.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Paradise, Pennsylvania is real close to Blue Ball and Intercourse.  

I always have found that interesting.

Then there is the great sealing port of Dildo, Newfoundland, which is just down the way from Heart's Content and Heart's Desire.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Paradise, Pennsylvania is real close to Blue Ball and Intercourse.  

I always have found that interesting.

Been there, done that, haven't read the book but taken a photo.

DSC06689.thumb.JPG.f3f0df04c0f07cbb6bdaa164e53ec145.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

spin up Cornwall UK on google maps and spend some time surfing town names

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

We have a Climax, MI out near Kalamazoo.  

Back in the days of steam locomotives, there was a type of locomotive with the cylinders mounted at a 45 degree angle and a geared shaft drive.  This design provided more traction on steep logging railroads, typically on  narrow gauge tracks, than a sliding side rod powered directly by the horizontal cylinders of a typical standard design locomotive .  Designed and made in Pennsylvania too, coincidentally.

I can just hear the advertisement: When D cells aren't enough, get a steam powered, shaft drive, geared Climax!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

Back in the days of steam locomotives, there was a type of locomotive with the cylinders mounted at a 45 degree angle and a geared shaft drive.  This design provided more traction on steep logging railroads, typically on  narrow gauge tracks, than a sliding side rod powered directly by the horizontal cylinders of a typical standard design locomotive .  Designed and made in Pennsylvania too, coincidentally.

I can just hear the advertisement: When D cells aren't enough, get a steam powered, shaft drive, geared Climax!  

My FIL ist verrey muche into the traines, haive heared alle abote it, verticalle rathere then the latteralle drive.

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

My FIL ist verrey muche into the traines, haive heared alle abote it, verticalle rathere then the latteralle drive.

:)

There were several similar locomotives.  The Shay was one and the Heisler was another one.  The Heilser locomotives were manufactured in my home own, Erie, PA, which was also the home of the General Electric plant that produced GE locomotives until a few years ago.  Heisler produced over 600 of the geared locomotives from the late 1890s until they shut down in the early 1940s.

You might have figured out that I'm a bit of a railfan as well.  I worked for a couple of years at the GE plant when I was young, I built electric commuter trains for use in the electrified NE Rail Corridor.  New Haven RR, SEPTA, NJ DOT, Penn Central, Reading RR were some of the customers.  Anybody that rode an electric powered commuter train in that area in the 1970s probably rode in a car that I helped to build.  GE closed the rapid transit rail operation a number of years ago.  On slow nights, I sometimes I would walk across the street to the locomotive assembly building and geek out over the latest GE diesel electric locomotives being put together there.  Many railfans would kill just to go in that building one time! 

This is photo of a model, but it's a pretty accurate one of some of the cars I built.

silverliner.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chester said:

We have a Climax in Saskatchewan too, SW corner near the montana border

Sign going out of town used to say "Please come again"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites