10 hours ago, slap said:

Too bad that's just CGI.   Better than most powerboats.

In real life it would be better with some stern deck area to hang out on or to fish from.

Slidey door with an inflatable floaty deck....  Never could walk out the back....  

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

Posted Images

3 hours ago, RedTuna said:

Right.  The illiterate do not have a right to an opinion.

Wrong - they are entitled to their opinion but they should have the common decency and good manners to keep it to themselves.

22 minutes ago, slap said:

They have a right to an opinion. 

And I have a right to mock it.

Yeah, you're right.  I normally say take that shit to PA, but I myself stepped on the line today, if not over it.

18 hours ago, slap said:

Too bad that's just CGI.   Better than most powerboats.

In real life it would be better with some stern deck area to hang out on or to fish from.

Pretty sure that is actually non-virtual.

Need one of these to go with it

The embryonic form of future "water rental"?Italian shipbuilder pushes car model ship

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Was that a real part of the DD&B "Ugly" Volkswagen campaign?

It seems too good to be true.

I'm not sure what DD&B stands for but I specifically remember seeing the ad in a magazine that I subscribed to in the early 70s.  I drove a VW bus at the time and wondered if it would float like that but figured it wasn't stable.  My GF and future wife had a 69 Type III but wouldn't let me test it.

14 hours ago, RedTuna said:

tedvwsmall.jpg

I seem to recall that the ad was only in the National Lampoon and the Lampoon got sued by Kennedy.  Don't recall the outcome of the suit and am too lazy to go look it up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tybee said:

I seem to recall that the ad was only in the National Lampoon and the Lampoon got sued by Kennedy.  Don't recall the outcome of the suit and am too lazy to go look it up.

VW sued National Lampoon over the fake ad.   They settled, with National Lampoon having to recall 135,000 copies of that issue.

Kennedy never sued.

44 minutes ago, slap said:

VW sued National Lampoon over the fake ad.   They settled, with National Lampoon having to recall 135,000 copies of that issue.

Kennedy never sued.

thanks for the correction.

5 hours ago, RedTuna said:

I'm not sure what DD&B stands for but I specifically remember seeing the ad in a magazine that I subscribed to in the early 70s.  I drove a VW bus at the time and wondered if it would float like that but figured it wasn't stable.  My GF and future wife had a 69 Type III but wouldn't let me test it.

DDB is Doyle, Dane & Bernbach - the ad agency that created the "Ugly" ad campaign for VW.

At the time it was absolutely revolutionary and made the agency the most famous in the world - .the first time the name of an ad agency was known by the general public.

9 hours ago, hobot said:

aYrbGPv_700b.jpg

Ok...  Help me out here.  What is the issue?

Is it the image of the gate being too far forward?  There looks to be a slight shadow at the top indicating some hidden from view barrier on the left.

6 minutes ago, Windward said:

Is it the image of the gate being too far forward?  There looks to be a slight shadow at the top indicating some hidden from view barrier on the left.

LADDERS - EXTENSION for Rent - Kennards Hire

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Windward said:

It looks like the hinges open the gate inward…..however……

On 10/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, SloopJonB said:

DDB is Doyle, Dane & Bernbach - the ad agency that created the "Ugly" ad campaign for VW.

At the time it was absolutely revolutionary and made the agency the most famous in the world - .the first time the name of an ad agency was known by the general public.

Especially for this one:

th.jpeg

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

This one was my favourite

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - 1970's 1 page Bug or Beetle Print Ad #22

Had a 1974 Superbeetle.   It did get around 25-28 mpg.   Drive it hard or drive it easy - the gas mileage stayed about the same.

3 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

There's an interesting person.

Oh…..I got stories……

‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single braided ponytail, wore long flowing dresses and was usually pretty clean. She stood on a busy street corner of PCH most days and swore (in French), spit at, and occasionally struck pedestrians and cars. The latter would get her a visit from the local gendarmes who really REALLY hated her. Mostly because she did not reserve her spitting and striking out for just the average citizen but treated the cops the same way. That usually resulted in a wrestling match between her and several cops and she was a biter as well. Those wrestling matches almost always resulted in a request for us to tend to various cop owies, and a few for her as well. My first interaction with her, I was patient man. She was sitting….rather disheveled…..on a low brick wall along pch with her hands cuffed behind her. While my partner soothed the whiney cops (although to be fair, one had a pretty darn good bite on his forearm…..she got her licks in), I pulled up my drug box (they were Plano 747 tackle boxes back then) and sat down across from her and we just looked at each other for about a minute. Then I asked one of the cops to please take her handcuffs off. He protested and mentioned how difficult it was just to get them on and we only needed to check her out and clear her medically before she went to jail. This whole conversation she just looked at me intently, never taking her eyes off me. I asked again and said I could not do a complete assessment with the handcuffs on (lying of course). He said “fine but if it goes south I was going to have to put them back on”. No problem says I (once again lying). So he took them off and she rubbed her wrists and looked at me. She then still looking straight at me quietly said “I like you” in English. I said “I’m sure I’m going to like you too”. So we went through where do you hurt and I checked her out, asked her medical history and she answered quietly always looking straight at me and in English. The cops (and my partner) were stunned and frankly so was I. I finally asked her why she behaved in a way that always caused her hassle. She looked at me and said “I hate people”. I had nothing to add so I nodded. Cleared her for jail, and the cops put her….without resisting into the back of a cop car. For a couple years afterwards every time she got in trouble, they told me she would ask for me by name…..in English. Sometimes it was my shift so it would be me. I always made them take the cuffs off and she and I always had a few minutes - disguised as a medical assessment - to just talk. Then one day she was never around again. We have no idea what happened or where she went. She told me about her adult children so I always hoped they found her.

The French Lady. I actually missed her and would always look to see if she was on her corner after she disappeared as we responded through town on our way to some call.

‘Funny world out there.

• Like 18
6 hours ago, Point Break said:

Oh…..I got stories……

‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single braided ponytail, wore long flowing dresses and was usually pretty clean. She stood on a busy street corner of PCH most days and swore (in French), spit at, and occasionally struck pedestrians and cars. The latter would get her a visit from the local gendarmes who really REALLY hated her. Mostly because she did not reserve her spitting and striking out for just the average citizen but treated the cops the same way. That usually resulted in a wrestling match between her and several cops and she was a biter as well. Those wrestling matches almost always resulted in a request for us to tend to various cop owies, and a few for her as well. My first interaction with her, I was patient man. She was sitting….rather disheveled…..on a low brick wall along pch with her hands cuffed behind her. While my partner soothed the whiney cops (although to be fair, one had a pretty darn good bite on his forearm…..she got her licks in), I pulled up my drug box (they were Plano 747 tackle boxes back then) and sat down across from her and we just looked at each other for about a minute. Then I asked one of the cops to please take her handcuffs off. He protested and mentioned how difficult it was just to get them on and we only needed to check her out and clear her medically before she went to jail. This whole conversation she just looked at me intently, never taking her eyes off me. I asked again and said I could not do a complete assessment with the handcuffs on (lying of course). He said “fine but if it goes south I was going to have to put them back on”. No problem says I (once again lying). So he took them off and she rubbed her wrists and looked at me. She then still looking straight at me quietly said “I like you” in English. I said “I’m sure I’m going to like you too”. So we went through where do you hurt and I checked her out, asked her medical history and she answered quietly always looking straight at me and in English. The cops (and my partner) were stunned and frankly so was I. I finally asked her why she behaved in a way that always caused her hassle. She looked at me and said “I hate people”. I had nothing to add so I nodded. Cleared her for jail, and the cops put her….without resisting into the back of a cop car. For a couple years afterwards every time she got in trouble, they told me she would ask for me by name…..in English. Sometimes it was my shift so it would be me. I always made them take the cuffs off and she and I always had a few minutes - disguised as a medical assessment - to just talk. Then one day she was never around again. We have no idea what happened or where she went. She told me about her adult children so I always hoped they found her.

The French Lady. I actually missed her and would always look to see if she was on her corner after she disappeared as we responded through town on our way to some call.

‘Funny world out there.

Sounds like she was the bitter ex wife of the old Laguna Beach Official Greeter...

b940ac1b4162a25b26d4d38846edc4e3.jpg

Laguna Beach OG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Sounds like she was the bitter ex wife of the old Laguna Beach Official Greeter...

b940ac1b4162a25b26d4d38846edc4e3.jpg

Laguna Beach OG

Yep. There were two greeters I remember over the years…..the original - Eiler - and despite the articles view that no one was successful at being the next greeter there was one guy who did it for quite a while…different corner though. Don’t remember his name. But Eiler was always just across from the pottery barn…..don’t remember the street name. The second guy was down on the vacant lot corner where the whaling wall is next to the hotel. Closer to main beach. The French Lady was usually in front of the restaurant on the other side of the hotel adjacent to the Whaling Wall…..once again even closer to main beach.

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

maide me chuckelle...........          :)

:lol:

Just in case it’s not common knowledge…..paramedic teams of two - at least in California - have one of the team interact specifically with the patient doing the physical, getting history and providing direct care (start IV’s, give drugs etc). That is the “Patient Man”. The other member wanders off and collects information from bystanders or family, looks for medications in the house, does all the medical charting of history, physical findings and care given on the patient chart left with the hospital, talks on the radio or phone to the “radio nurse” at the hospital to get treatment orders, and helps the patient man pull drugs and set up procedures as necessary. This is on routine calls, chest pain, stroke automobile accidents etc. That is the “Radio Man”. On really really sick patients it winds up being a “full court press” as we called it and both might be providing care. For instance, on a traumatic full arrest (even though they very very rarely survive), I might be intubating the patient and my partner starting an IV or we both might be working on and IV in each arm. We typically rotated every other shift although if a particular patient or circumstance favored one or the others style we’d switch on the fly. 

The “Patient Man” isn’t always……patient. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
11 hours ago, slap said:

9jl6hcnkx5x71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

That's a photo of some good person here hauling @warbirdout of GA making for complete ass of himself by posting a steady stream of shit memes.  And his henchman @RedTunaisn't far behind.  

The gloves are off, I am out of patience with you two complete assholes.  I get it, you guys who I used to have a little respect for have turned into complete shitheads.  Now unkindly go in a dark corner and fuck yourselves.  Two motherfucking grown up assholes, acting like teenage idiots.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  But thanks for revealing your true fucked up personalities.  If I came across  either one you dickheads on fire, I wouldn't waste the time to even piss on your sorry asses to put the fire out.  As matter of fact, I would probably go find a can of gas to throw on the fire.  Just fuck the fuck off.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I am out of patience with you two complete assholes. 

C'mon, man.  People shitting themselves has always been funny, barring some serious medical condition.  Politicians shitting themselves is even funnier.  Remember Trump on the golf course and Hillary going up the stairs five or six years ago?  Fucking gold.

patience.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, RedTuna said:

C'mon, man.  People shitting themselves has always been funny, barring some serious medical condition.  Politicians shitting themselves is even funnier.  Remember Trump on the golf course and Hillary going up the stairs five or six years ago?  Fucking gold.

Look you disingenuous, bottom feeding, scumbag piece of odious excrement.  it goes way beyond people shitting themselves.   

I don't know what tipped you beyond reason but something very foul has apparently infested your brain lately.  

Maybe one of these will help clean it out.

Fleet.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Look you disingenuous, bottom feeding, scumbag piece of odious excrement.  it goes way beyond people shitting themselves.   

I don't know what tipped you beyond reason but something very foul has apparently infested your brain lately.  

Maybe one of these will help clean it out.

Fleet.jpg

Now you're just throwing shit to see what sticks.

Pic related: Vatican wall recently.

vatican wall.jpg

• Like 1