• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, slap said:

How do you think they get really fresh sushi?

Well when I lived Japan I went in this little sushi restaurant and I asked for a particular variety of fish that I really liked.  The sushi Chef said something to his assistant and the assistant came around the counter and went behind me.  I heard some noises, then a splash and a few drops of water hit my back.  The assistant came back from the aquarium behind me with a small fish wriggling in an aquarium net .  He gave it to the sushi chef and snick snack with a sharp knife, 2 pieces of nigiri quickly appeared in front of me on a small plate.  In the 3 1/2 years I lived in Japan, that was the freshest sushi I ever ate, although I had some that was almost that fresh. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Well when I lived Japan I went in this little sushi restaurant and I asked for a particular variety of fish that I really liked.  The sushi Chef said something to his assistant and the assistant came around the counter and went behind me.  I heard some noises, then a splash and a few drops of water hit my back.  The assistant came back from the aquarium behind me with a small fish wriggling in an aquarium net .  He gave it to the sushi chef and snick snack with a sharp knife, 2 pieces of nigiri quickly appeared in front of me on a small plate.  In the 3 1/2 years I lived in Japan, that was the freshest sushi I ever ate, although I had some that was almost that fresh. 

That's called vivisection, not food prep.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's called vivisection, not food prep.

Meh.  Tomato, tomahto.  

I call it tasty!

At least the sushi chef kills the fish quickly.  When you eat a raw oyster, it either get chewed, and probably not enough to kill it, or timid people swallow them whole and then the oyster slowly dies in the stomach acid bath!  

• Like 1

Meh.  Tomato, tomahto.  

I call it tasty!

At least the sushi chef kills the fish quickly.  When you eat a raw oyster, it either get chewed, and probably not enough to kill it, or timid people swallow them whole and then the oyster slowly dies in the stomach acid bath!  

Yeah... but it is so good...

Especially the small ones from Britanny, not the half-steaks they serve in the US...

• Like 2

Meh.  Tomato, tomahto.  

I call it tasty!

I always thought the oyster was a gonner once the shell was opened.

5 hours ago, Windward said:

I always thought the oyster was a gonner once the shell was opened.

No, we buy oysters in the shell and shuck them into beaten egg mixture. They live long enough to absorb quite a bit of egg so when we fry them for oyster burgers they taste even better.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

No, we buy oysters in the shell and shuck them into beaten egg mixture. They live long enough to absorb quite a bit of egg so when we fry them for oyster burgers they taste even better.

Fried oysters are OK, but I'm a purist when it comes to oysters. 

In my opinion, an oyster should only be consumed raw.  Maybe with a squeeze of lemon and nothing else to ruin the delicate, ethereal, sublime flavor. And they need to be chewed, not just slurped down whole, otherwise you miss the whole point of eating it.

Oysters Paris.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

In my opinion, an oyster should only be consumed raw.  Maybe with a squeeze of lemon and nothing else to ruin the delicate, ethereal, sublime flavor. And they need to be chewed, not just slurped down whole, otherwise you miss the whole point of eating it.

Oysters Paris.jpg

I like fresh raw apples, but I'm also happy to eat them in a pie. I'm a gourmand, it's all grist for the mill.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Tom Berenger in "Shoot to Kill" with Poitier.

"I ate oysters once in San Francisco  - tasted like snot". :D

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Tom Berenger in "Shoot to Kill" with Poitier.

"I ate oysters once in San Francisco  - tasted like snot". :D

I unwittingly ate a bite of Limburger cheese many years ago.  it tasted like shit!  :lol:

30 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I like fresh raw apples, but I'm also happy to eat them in a pie. I'm a gourmand, it's all grist for the mill.

OK, I see your point.  

But I am more of a gourmet.  I just spent more than $100 the other day ordering a kilo of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese aged for 100 months, direct from Emilia Romagna.  Hopefully it will arrive today, I can't wait.

"At 100 months the color is amber, dry, extremely crumbly, with hints of cheese crust, spices, leather, dried fruit, tobacco, medium flavor, in combination with a fortified wine it manages to perfectly restore balance in the mouth."

8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Didde you notte wache the Littelle Rascalles?

Apparently not!  

I always knew the dangers of Limburger.  When I was a young Cold Warrior in Germany in the 1970s, I was in this big bier keller in Nurnberg and I ordered a cheese plate to go with my beer.  There were a variety of cheeses and I just popped a bite of Limburger in my mouth without realizing what it was.  I never did that again!  

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Oysters Paris.jpg

It pains me to tell you that there are many SoCal Hillbillies cooking their bluefin tuna these days

Phucking Philistines . . .

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Dorado said:

It pains me to tell you that there are many SoCal Hillbillies cooking their bluefin tuna these days

Terry Bradshaw had it right in those ads years ago.

"Never eat anything that looks like bait"

Or handing his plate of Sashimi to the waitress,

"Excuse me, I think you forgot to cook this".

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

:o

There oughta be a law!

When I was in the US this past August I went to a better than average supermarket chain store (Wegmans for those who know the name).  They had some beautiful, bright red tuna steaks in the fresh fish section.  I thing the price for 2 of good sized ones was like $50.00. I took them to my friends house where I was staying and I sliced them into sashimi, cooked some rice and ate 'em all up.  My friend and his wife declined my offer of a bite.  Heathens!  But the I offered it to them to be polite, I knew they they wouldn't try it.  They're great people but their idea of exotic food is P.F. Chang so...

26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I fished for a good part of my life and I never ate sushi anywhere, even here in Poland that looked like  bait.  Good sushi and sashimi are some of my favorite foods.  If squeamish people that never ate fresh fish in their lives and were force fed Mrs. Paul's frozen fish sticks as children, that's fine.  More raw fish for me!  And WTF does that hick, albeit a great quarterback, know about real food anyway?  He was born in a Louisiana bayou FFS and thinks boiled crawfish are a delicacy!  Mud bugs!!! 

#Fakenews

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Careful Ed - don't stroke out.

It was comedy.

Hey, some things just shouldn't be joked about like that!

And in case you couldn't see because of the subtlety of it, that wasn't a real rant. 

You've seen some of my real rants here, they are entirely different!  

Here are some clues: Poland, Mrs. Paul's, albeit a good quarterback, mud bugs.

Sheesh!  B)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dorado said:

yeah but with warmer waters there's been a prevalence of parasitic worms...  sushi as a cuisine will die out due to global warming

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Pittsburgh is in the same state as Phillystine.

I rest my case.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Terry Bradshaw, lol,  from shreveport where road kill is a dinner staple..

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yeah but with warmer waters there's been a prevalence of parasitic worms...  sushi as a cuisine will die out due to global warming

Sushi as a culture will die out when the oceans are emptied of life.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Terry Bradshaw, lol,  from shreveport where road kill is a dinner staple..

I loved the bit on Newharts show when Larry, brother Darryl and other brother Darryl bought a restaurant and had to leave Newharts place to check the Interstate for that night's special. :lol:

On 11/26/2021 at 2:07 PM, SloopJonB said:

Sushi as a culture will die out when the oceans are emptied of life.

^This, the lower prices go the worse it will get.

And as an aside cooking is one of our greatest achievements, breaking down flesh by partially incinerating it makes it easier to digest & may have led to our shorter digestive tracts & large brains.

Thus as (I like to believe myself) a high ranking member of the tribe with access to the fire, make my steak medium well (hot pink center).

And anyone that has watched "Monsters Inside Me" would question the wisdom of eating anything flesh related raw.

Special mention for the 2 nincompoops that ate raw crawdads to show how tough/stupid they are, both came down with serious cases of lung fluke that damn near killed them.

6 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

WTF were they thinking?

It needs a special mark on the cup for the ivermectin chaser.

Or at least an enema bag!

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/post/johann-biacsics-65-kottingbrunn-at-self-employed-anti-vaxxer-dead-from-covid-and-stupidity

24 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

not sure if this shoudl go here or somewhere else.... my asshole is puckering...9ydpfktq61381.jpg?width=768&format=pjpg&

h2x0bktq61381.jpg?width=768&format=pjpg&7wk3mmtq61381.jpg?width=1440&format=pjpg

If it tips over the guy will just get wet.   

If he is lucky.

Wonder if EZ Dock wants these photos for a testimonial on their web site?

Looks like this is routine for them.  6 blocks of EZ Dock, cleats, dock lines, straps & plywood.  Someone gave this a lot of thought & preparation.

Don't see guideline & team poolside.  Do they have paddles for navigation?

Surely erecting a scaffold on the float would be lighter than the lift.  

Almost forgot....

Remember kids, DON'T try this at home.  These are trained professionals on a closed pool.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Seriatim Tom said:

In the absence of a LONFW thread, this one will have to do.

NO F'IN WAY, especially not with another person aboard with me.

Let’s see……some guy with multiple owies of varying seriousness……..a raft floating somewhere in the pool and a extended lift on its side at the bottom of the pool. As I walked in on the 911 call, this would be the classic “can you explain to me how this happened?”

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I'da been doin' the calcs in case of a tipover to be sure I end up in the drink. Would definitely prefer a tip to starboard in the last pic.

If it is an 8 lane pool they are pretty much dead (pardon the pun) center.  

How many amps for how long will the batteries be putting into the water?

Just now, LakeBoy said:

By my observations there are at least 11 lanes, and I think, in case of a tip, the base of the scissor lift will remain on the raft.

I think...

On 11/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, Ed Lada said:

Ever tried uni fresh out of the sea? Not the puckered up stuff you get in a restaurant?

I was diving for urchins in SoCall back in the late 70s when a buddy from Calgary came for a visit and hesitantly said he'd try it, once. We went down to the local cove and I snorkled out to get a few, which we broke open on the sand and scooped out with our fingers.

There were a couple of Mexican families spread out on blankets nearby and one of the Dads, a big, sumo lookin' guy with no English came over and signed that he'd like to try some please. He takes a mouth full of the beautiful yellow slime and swirls it like fine wine. The kids are all watching and gagging when he smiles and shouts 'Eeees goooood!' Everybody cheers and lines up to try some. It was like a food circus.

We spent the rest of the afternoon with them, us bringing in urchins every so often, the kids playing with us in the water and on the sand and the adults sharing a cooler of Modellos and some wonderful home made tacos with us.

Sometimes food really can be an equalizer.

• Like 5
20 hours ago, RedTuna said:

Yeah, no.  But maybe if it was a pony play picture...

ponythumb.jpg

anyone know if that measuring cup attached to the Clorox container above has the ratio needed to bleach this image out of my mind??

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Let’s see……some guy with multiple owies of varying seriousness……..a raft floating somewhere in the pool and a extended lift on its side at the bottom of the pool. As I walked in on the 911 call, this would be the classic “can you explain to me how this happened?”

Actually writing a book is a lot less fun and more work than it sounds so I won't join the chorus of voices begging for that, but have to ask: did you ever find anything that interesting at the bottom of a pool?

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

My favorite was always "who's was in charge of this idea" 

Usually followed by lots of finger pointing!!

WL

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LakeBoy said:

If it is an 8 lane pool they are pretty much dead (pardon the pun) center.  

JLG’s larger LE and E Series platform lifts have a 48-volt system and utilize eight Group Size 903 batteries.

Wouldn't scaffolding off the pool bottom be cheaper?

And if that falls, you would likely go splat on the tiles from that height.