3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

good thing he had a hard head

That's sort of a wash - if he didn't have a hard head he wouldn't have been doing it.

When I was 67 I read a quote that guys should sell their ladder when they reach 50.

I have 3, up to 24' and I haven't sold them yet but I have gotten a lot more thoughtful and careful about using them.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

PTSD.............jeepers its such a narrow impression people have a very broad set of "feelings" after some difficult event. Some folks are debilitated by their PTSD. Most carry some remnant of strong

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's sort of a wash - if he didn't have a hard head he wouldn't have been doing it.

When I was 67 I read a quote that guys should sell their ladder when they reach 50.

I have 3, up to 24' and I haven't sold them yet but I have gotten a lot more thoughtful and careful about using them.

If I sold my ladder how would I get on the boat when she is on the hard?

I'll have to admit that I've been thinking that when I hit 70 I probably shouldn't be climbing out on our house roof anymore.....

11 hours ago, Seriatim Tom said:

Actually writing a book is a lot less fun and more work than it sounds so I won't join the chorus of voices begging for that, but have to ask: did you ever find anything that interesting at the bottom of a pool?

Well……we’ll leave the drownings out of the “interesting things”, especially one with a kid in a half full green/algae pool where we had to hop in and rake the bottom with our feet and hands to find the kid……that one sucked. But……..a number of cars and trucks that “failed to negotiate the curve” :lol:. Several occasions with  handguns, once a shotgun, there was an entire sofa as a result of a……family dispute…..on another occasion a refrigerator……same reason……a dead pig…that’s actually a pretty good story…and my favorite……a motorcycle with a sidecar. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

a number of cars and trucks that “failed to negotiate the curve” :lol:.

They're making a big deal out of self driving cars these days but they've been doing the driving for a long time - especially when things go pear shaped.

"The car went out of control and struck a tree"

"The vehicle drove into the ditch and rolled over"

The truck failed to stop at a stop sign".

"The car veered out of its lane and struck an oncoming vehicle".

Must be a lot of drivers pissed off at their cars incompetence.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, slap said:

If I sold my ladder how would I get on the boat when she is on the hard?

I'll have to admit that I've been thinking that when I hit 70 I probably shouldn't be climbing out on our house roof anymore.....

I was just asking SWMBO the other day how old I have to be to justify calling my adult sons to come deal with the moss and clear the drains before the winter rains hit.  Sadly, she said I don't qualify yet.

1 minute ago, Rain Man said:

I was just asking SWMBO the other day how old I have to be to justify calling my adult sons to come deal with the moss and clear the drains before the winter rains hit.  Sadly, she said I don't qualify yet.

Heh. Also my thoughts today while crawling around all day on the roof. I too was thinking about why a 67 y.o. does this. Seems like I should hire someone. But I'm such a tightwad though. And what else would I do all day?

Plus, it is a metal standing-seam roof. Walking, sitting, crawling, and even standing are all problematic. And then the ladder...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

no shit...  don't recuperate as fast..

9 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Heh. Also my thoughts today while crawling around all day on the roof. I too was thinking about why a 67 y.o. does this. Seems like I should hire someone. But I'm such a tightwad though. And what else would I do all day?

Plus, it is a metal standing-seam roof. Walking, sitting, crawling, and even standing are all problematic. And then the ladder...

Sameo, except I have no kids to call and guilt into coming over. Tightwadus Maximus am I. Just can't feature paying someone else to do something that, until  recently, I was competent and fit to do safely and efficiently.

I went up twice last month for the annual chimney cleaning, pretend to sweep off the moss and blow out the gutters. Instead of using the ladder I now step out through a second floor window and onto the porch roof, then smear up a steep pitch to get on the upper, flat roof. This year my hip arthritis let me know my days  on this job are numbered.

Seems only yesterday I was the guy at the top of the ladder bouncing it along while priming the faschia as my wife drove the truck... fearless and immortal.

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

• Like 1
10 hours ago, El Borracho said:

I have a metal standing seam as well. That thing is slicker than snot. 

19 hours ago, RedTuna said:

Yeah, not their first time.  NFPA 25 requires annual inspection of fire suppression hangers, pipe, and sprinkler heads.  Varying roof height seems to preclude scaffolding.

We've moved to doing the visual inspections with drones that have HD cameras. 

• Like 1

The guy decided that he needed to tie off for his trip to the roof of his house.  He tossed the line over the peak and tied it off to the car's bumper.  He tied it to himself and climbed up.  Everything was going fine until the rope started to move over the peak.

He forgot to tell his wife.

8 hours ago, Willin' said:

Sameo, except I have no kids to call and guilt into coming over. Tightwadus Maximus am I. Just can't feature paying someone else to do something that, until  recently, I was competent and fit to do safely and efficiently.

I went up twice last month for the annual chimney cleaning, pretend to sweep off the moss and blow out the gutters. Instead of using the ladder I now step out through a second floor window and onto the porch roof, then smear up a steep pitch to get on the upper, flat roof. This year my hip arthritis let me know my days  on this job are numbered.

Seems only yesterday I was the guy at the top of the ladder bouncing it along while priming the faschia as my wife drove the truck... fearless and immortal.

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

Ahhhhh. Roof work. Done a bit of that myself. image.thumb.jpeg.6031bbe421f6c89395deb0b4c92e2050.jpeg:lol:

• Like 1
On 12/2/2021 at 1:16 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's like my 90 year old dad, who I forbade from ever getting on a ladder...  so one day instead of calling the front desk of the retirement center to get help, he decided he wanted to change a setting on the fan above his bed..  so his reasoning, "if I fall, which he usually did, I'll fall onto the bed"..  well he climbed onto the bed to make the adjustment, of course he  didn't fall in the direction of the bed...

good thing he had a hard head

Sound like my FIL   Mil asks me to come over.  FIL is on a stepstool at the stop of the staircase, trying change batteries In a smoke detector.

Another time asks to borrow my gas powered pressure washer.  I bring it over with extra hose.  Mil calls me and asks me to come over.

While mil went out shopping, fil  has dragged pressure washer (whole unit, not just the hose) up to the roof so he can pressure wash siding over the garage.

he was blind in his left eye and tipped the scales a few ticks south of 300. Not the most nimble guy....

went on a  cruise with the in laws, he fell in the shower at 3am,  had to call in the on c all nurse and couple able bodied seamen to help lift out of the shower where he was wedged....fun times...

32 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

photoshopped

That may be photoshopped. Not much water over top of sub where the porpoise allegedly is. But I bought a hi-res print in Key West mid/late 80’s or so with a pod jumping in front of a ship. Captioned “in the wake of evolution.”  I think it was pretty popular shot back in the day. No longer have it. Way before desktop editing common. 

7 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

That may be photoshopped. Not much water over top of sub where the porpoise allegedly is. But I bought a hi-res print in Key West mid/late 80’s or so with a pod jumping in front of a ship. Captioned “in the wake of evolution.”  I think it was pretty popular shot back in the day. No longer have it. Way before desktop editing common. 

I've done a lot of work in small, say 25' center consoles.  One day off Virginia Beach, two dolphins on either side of our bow just swam seemingly on their sides looking up tracking us.  We were both research physical oceanographers so we pushed our 20kts to 30.  Without moving a visible muscle, they maintained their position.  I've heard rumors the Navy studied them for years hoping to unlock this magic with zero success.

The only reason I suggested photoshop is that the deck of a sub is relatively flat.  That much water over the bow might suggest a dive, but not with crew on top of the sail.

There are experienced experts on this site, @boomer, and I'm always happy to be wrong.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I've done a lot of work in small, say 25' center consoles.  One day off Virginia Beach, two dolphins on either side of our bow just swam seemingly on their sides looking up tracking us.  We were both research physical oceanographers so we pushed our 20kts to 30.  Without moving a visible muscle, they maintained their position.  I've heard rumors the Navy studied them for years hoping to unlock this magic with zero success.

The only reason I suggested photoshop is that the deck of a sub is relatively flat.  That much water over the bow might suggest a dive, but not with crew on top of the sail.

There are experienced experts on this site, @boomer, and I'm always happy to be wrong.

That's actually a Virginia class sub.  The sail is farther forward than the LA class.  Plus, the bow wave actually piles up pretty high and I'm sure a dolphin could swim in it.

1 minute ago, charis said:

That's actually a Virginia class sub.  The sail is farther forward than the LA class.  Plus, the bow wave actually piles up pretty high and I'm sure a dolphin could swim in it.

I don't doubt it, my experience was with the Ohios and LAs.  Thanks for chiming in.

6 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

May be an image of car and road

Maybe Simon and Garfunkel were onto something.

What if pigeons really do plot in secrecy?

And while we're on the subject, today's elephants really are dumb.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Artificial dorkiness - whooda think there was a market for it?

Those sock-sandals will go great with my pocket protector.  But my dorkiness is 100% natural.

52 minutes ago, valis said:

Those sock-sandals will go great with my pocket protector.  But my dorkiness is 100% natural.

But do you have shirts with pocket protector patterns on them?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

But do you have shirts with pocket protector patterns on them?

No, but that is actually a great idea!

[edit] Been done:

A1ntnF3PJOL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C61Wf6BDfs

I once did a video for work where I wore a lab coat, pocket protector, and safety glasses held together with a taped bridge (I usually looked like a hippie slob at work, so this was not my normal office-wear).  Wish I still had that video tape.

3 hours ago, valis said:

No, but that is actually a great idea!

[edit] Been done:

A1ntnF3PJOL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C61Wf6BDfs

I once did a video for work where I wore a lab coat, pocket protector, and safety glasses held together with a taped bridge (I usually looked like a hippie slob at work, so this was not my normal office-wear).  Wish I still had that video tape.

Your new avatar.

United Mask & Party Nerd Kit with Glasses/Bowtie and Pocket Protector Lot  of 4 Black : Amazon.ca: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories

5 hours ago, shaggy said:

I knew it was you from the get go mr miller, U teli guys have some cojones...  

I ski tele for the assumed "license to suck".

"Look at that suck ass skier. Oh, tele gear, he's excused".

• Like 1
6 hours ago, bmiller said:

I ski tele for the assumed "license to suck".

"Look at that suck ass skier. Oh, tele gear, he's excused".

Seen u guys do the bumps.....  Respect... 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

How many little kids were in tears on that parade route?

i assume that all the deer were nice head mounts probably not too off putting but that picture captures the garland they draped around the thing and that kinda looks like gore...dripping from heads just severed..that freaked ME out.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

So…. I have seen any number of things in patient’s rectums but a mortar shell……that’s a new one for me. I got nothing… 

I was kinda relieved to see it was just the shell. I was really concerned it was the whole thing.

projectile-34886_1280.png

Something ain't right about the "mortar" round.  The British used 2-, 3- and 4.2-inch mortars.  But they did have a 6-pounder cannon that was 57mm. 

I'm guessing he was naked when he fell on it.  Thank goodness it did not go off.  Betting he did.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:45 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

apgL55B_460swp.webp

These two moose are usually on display at the LL Bean mothership.  They locked antlers and eventually died of exhaustion/ starvation. Awesome taxidermy!

L.L.Bean Locked Moose Exhibit

Check out more pics and description here.

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

I shudder to imagine the purpose of the step ladder he's clutching.  Nothing good can possibly come of this.

How do you think he's going to get on a roof without a sleigh?