• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

Oh…..I got stories…… ‘One of our beach towns had a crazy local everybody called “The French Lady”. I think she was homeless but not sure. She was thin….complete grey hair worn in a big single bra

PTSD.............jeepers its such a narrow impression people have a very broad set of "feelings" after some difficult event. Some folks are debilitated by their PTSD. Most carry some remnant of strong

Posted Images

On 12/26/2021 at 10:32 PM, Cal20sailor said:

I grew up on an island in the Detroit River.  There are some man-made fills (dredging) that border the down bound shipping channels.  There were a few rusting shells of cars on one of them and the story was that they took the cars out to fish and the ice opened up behind them.  Same shit happened playing hockey but we were always able to iceberg it to a spot we could get home.

the town I lived in NH was on the Mass border.  We had a lake used for 100 years to cut ice that was packed in sawdust and shipped to the Caribbean prior to refrigeration.  Anyways the lazy fisherman from Mass drive up to fish in their pickups and fall through the ice a couple times every winter.

So much so that the volunteer fire department built a giant rig made from huge oak timbers with long wide skids on bottom and a winch on top of the frame. When a nitwit dunks their truck, they haul the rig down to the lake, assembled the rig, slide it over the hole , attach cables to the corners of the truck before winching it up and siding the rig/truck to terra firma.   Final step is handing the tool a bill for the removal..

The plethora of dumb asses each winter kept their skills honed and they could remove a vehicle in a couple hours max.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Flak jackets for elementary school children. :rolleyes:

Only in Amurrica.

That's the price of freedom dude.

What's a few kids lives compared to the pleasure of owning a 5.56mm, semi auto penis extender.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

What's a few kids lives compared to the pleasure of owning a 5.56mm, semi auto penis extender.

You know how I feel, a single child's life is not worth every gun in America.  Jeff will be along shortly to tell us how an AR-15, that he claims is in a safe, protects his home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

fixte                             :)

Not exactly a Zero turn model, but well suited for the straightaways. 

Drag racing mower?

image.jpeg.c6972dcc2098e9c72e8f3738e24ed009.jpeg

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Mere collateral damage.

Acceptable losses.

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Jeff will be along shortly to tell us how an AR-15, that he claims is in a safe, protects his home.

No - the AR is for hunting to feed his family.

At least until they are acceptably lost.

Really? My whole first marriage almost aligns perfectly with that short video.

(Apparently he didn't expirience the wife doing her nails while on a flight to Hawaii though.....that was an interesting event).

That's about the 6th time since the cold weather started that that meme has been posted in GA.  

Just sayin'.

Here's a new one.

I think.

Rocks.jpg

5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

That's about the 6th time since the cold weather started that that meme has been posted in GA.  

Just sayin'.

Here's a new one.

I think.

Rocks.jpg

Hey……dirt clod fights were pretty cool. The rule was no hidden rocks………..however once in a while one would sneak in…….mostly unintentional.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Point Break said:

Hey……dirt clod fights were pretty cool. The rule was no hidden rocks………..however once in a while one would sneak in…….mostly unintentional.

When I was a kid I grew up in a neighborhood loaded with kids, dogs, and Lake Erie 2 blocks from my house.  It was a 1950s-1960s, working class, American dream neighborhood.

I don't remember the precipitating event but one summer day we ended up in an epic battle.  About a dozen boys against an equal number of girls.  It got ugly.  I remember chasing down a girl that was repeatedly whacking my brother across the back with a stout stick.  I threw her to the ground and disarmed her.  We had some tough girls in our neighborhood.  Us boys regrouped and decided to do a frontal assault against the girls stronghold, WWI style.  We were armed with rocks, sticks and whatever we could find.  In the heat of the battle I got out in front of our line and was leading the charge.  One of the boys behind me, Jimmy, decided to throw his rock, and it hit me square in the back of my head.  Friendly fire!  I went down, seeing stars and bleeding profusely, you know how scalp wound can bleed.  I was screaming for a medic.

I don't remember how it all ended but somehow there were no serious injuries, just a lot of bruises, a couple of bloody noses, and one bleeding scalp.  The next day we were all playing together peacefully.  

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

When I was a kid I grew up in a neighborhood loaded with kids, dogs, and Lake Erie 2 blocks from my house.  It was a 1950s-1960s, working class, American dream neighborhood.

I don't remember the precipitating event but one summer day we ended up in an epic battle.  About a dozen boys against an equal number of girls.  It got ugly.  I remember chasing down a girl that was repeatedly whacking my brother across the back with a stout stick.  I threw her to the ground and disarmed her.  We had some tough girls in our neighborhood.  Us boys regrouped and decided to do a frontal assault against the girls stronghold, WWI style.  We were armed with rocks, sticks and whatever we could find.  In the heat of the battle I got out in front of our line and was leading the charge.  One of the boys behind me, Jimmy, decided to throw his rock, and it hit me square in the back of my head.  Friendly fire!  I went down, seeing stars and bleeding profusely, you know how scalp wound can bleed.  I was screaming for a medic.

I don't remember how it all ended but somehow there were no serious injuries, just a lot of bruises, a couple of bloody noses, and one bleeding scalp.  The next day we were all playing together peacefully.  

You didn’t mention trash can lids, a vital part of any neighborhood kids battle. I remember folks not being thrilled that we’d borrowed the lids from their cans but they were ALWAYS returned when the war was over, albeit possibly a bit more bent/dented than before. Great times.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WhoaTed said:

You didn’t mention trash can lids, a vital part of any neighborhood kids battle. I remember folks not being thrilled that we’d borrowed the lids from their cans but they were ALWAYS returned when the war was over, albeit possibly a bit more bent/dented than before. Great times.

You're right, I forgot all about that!  Nobody had plastic garbage cans back then, all galvanized steel.  

19 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

l093ykdsd9701.thumb.jpg.2ae4f30fa839ccfe6566e5a6993bf1b1.jpg

Yeah, probably even by me.  I can't keep track of the hundreds I've posted.

Lots of reposts here.  No one ever seems to comment on it, though, which is incredibly polite by internet standards.  Kinda odd that you chose to comment on my wiener pic and not others' wieners.

14 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

Yeah, probably even by me.  I can't keep track of the hundreds I've posted.

Lots of reposts here.  No one ever seems to comment on it, though, which is incredibly polite by internet standards.  Kinda odd that you chose to comment on my wiener pic and not others' wieners.

Lighten up Francis, I've posted duplicates as well.  And took flak for it.  And I didn't whine about it.

I didn't single you out because I have a hard on for you, I've avoided far more legitimate reasons to criticize you because I'm trying to behave. 

The reason I mentioned you this time because that was like the 10th time in a few months that that same photo has been posted.  I don't care if the repost is only 2 or 3 times in a longer time span.  You just happened to be the poor sod that reached the magic number. 

Or maybe I just disliked your wiener and the other wieners were more manly, who knows.  Don't ask and I won't tell.

OK?  Are we good, old buddy?

6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

What ist LONQR?  Thet she gotte tat sayeng it?

:)

I think it's 'cause the tattoo artist misspelled "misunderestimate". ;)

2 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:
10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

What ist LONQR?  Thet she gotte tat sayeng it?

I think it's 'cause the tattoo artist misspelled "misunderestimate". ;)

Oh, OK, I wase realley lookeng at thisse parte...........

image.png.d007c805eb63f6233a8cb2198c40e817.png

20 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

5 kids is also not quite right.

[ducks head]

Hey, I came from a brood of 5!

Fortunately only two of my crechemates forgot how rough it was growing up with 5 kids in 3 bedrooms and begat a total of 3 spawn.

And of those 3, apparently only one forgot her birthcontrol, once.

Social security for millennials is gonna be a joke.

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

So, not catholic. Good onya!

Raised Catholic, we all came from a good family but somehow, along the way, we individually developed some traits that just weren't right.

With loose attribution to Tom Waits.

8 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

so you can , uh, lose weight really quickly...

Or if you want to sell your organs by the pound. 

4 minutes ago, chester said:

cleared quite a bit of snow in my day, in fact 10 CM just today, never used a flame thrower though

The fun part starts when all that melted snow freezes into ice. It's all downhill from there.

2 minutes ago, chester said:

cleared quite a bit of snow in my day, in fact 10 CM just today, never used a flame thrower though

10 cm of snow was a dusting where I grew up.  The only reason we would bother to clear 10 cm is that invariably 30-50 cm of would fall in a few more days and it would just be harder to clear the total accumulation.   

Shoveling snow is a Sisyphean task to be sure.

2 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

10 cm of snow was a dusting where I grew up.  The only reason we would bother to clear 10 cm is that invariably 30-50 cm of would fall in a few more days and it would just be harder to clear the total accumulation.   

Shoveling snow is a Sisyphean task to be sure.

looks like we are going to get 20 CM in 24 hours...20 centimetere is a snow fall worth mentioning on the prairies, 30 CM is "holy shit"...note that this snow fall and most that come in december and january occured with temperatures of -15 to -20 C and enough breeze to make one direction with the snow blower really cold!

9 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

They may need to napalm 100 miles of I-95, or wait for things to thaw.

No they won't.  There wasn't that much snow.  

7 minutes ago, chester said:

looks like we are going to get 20 CM in 24 hours...20 centimetere is a snow fall worth mentioning on the prairies, 30 CM is "holy shit"...note that this snow fall and most that come in december and january occured with temperatures of -15 to -20 C and enough breeze to make one direction with the snow blower really cold!

30 cm of snow is 11 inches.  To people in parts of the world where heavy snow is a normal, even, 11 inches of snow hardly causes a problem.  

-20 degrees C is -4 degrees F.  Is that the ambient temperature or is that with the chill factor?  Because if it's with the chill factor, it isn't that cold, it only feels that cold.  That's why a thermometer won't register it.  It isn't real.  The coldest temperatures I experienced back home were around minus 25 F (-31 C), without the chill factor.  One winter the daytime high didn't exceed -15 F (-26 C) for a week.  That's fucking cold!

The colder it it, the less likely it is for significant amounts of snow to fall.  Snow forms from water vapor.  Cold air is more dense than warm air.  The more dense the air is, the less room there is for water vapor.  It is extremely unlikely for significant amounts of snow to fall when temperatures are below temperatures of -10 F (-20 C).  That's just physics.

What constitutes a 'heavy' snow fall, and what people consider 'cold' are be relative.  If you live in an area that doesn't often see temperatures in single or negative digits, or snowfall that normally doesn't exceed a few cm or inches, then people think it's a lot.  But compared to other places in the world, it isn't a lot of snow or terribly cold at all.  

I'm guessing you live somewhere where heavy snowfalls and really cold temps are rare.  I do agree with a strong wind, temperatures below 10 C can feel quite unpleasant.  Especially if it's blowing in your face.

Around here any snow causes mass disaster. People never learn to drive in it and lots, maybe most only have all season tires, not real snows. That's on top of Vancouver drivers being generally shitty at the best of times - worst I've ever known.

I put a new set of Pirelli Ice Radials on the Range Rover just before Christmas so we've been laughing.

I haven't had to unstick a snowbound car for about 30 years but I got my neighbours Jeep up our shared steep driveway the other day - it was so slick I couldn't stand on it - just slid down it - but some cat litter and old ski hill skills got it out in a few minutes.

Still got it. -_-

I've learned a couple of things through this patch though - traction control & ABS can actually be a negative when you're getting unstuck. When I needed some power and wheelspin the damn computers would dial everything back.

She didn't know how to turn them off and I got her out faster than looking in the book for it so...

I've also noticed an interesting phenomenon on the roads - nearly all the cars at the side of the road or on the hook are electrics - Tesla S's and today a Porsche Taycan as well as a Tesla.

Not accident damage, just dead.

Salty wet electrics?

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm guessing you live somewhere where heavy snowfalls and really cold temps are rare.  I do agree with a strong wind, temperatures below 10 C can feel quite unpleasant.  Especially if it's blowing in your face.

You'd be wrong. I'm from the same part of the world and a week at -40 is not unheard of. Last week they were sitting at around -37C not including wind chill. As for snow...

1085.jpg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Too many of them, yes.

Tell me which I should give up.  Oldest sister has devoted her life to the VA in counseling and rehabilitation, older brother served in the Air Force, worked as a missionary to Ukraine orphanges and now volunteers at VA legal clinic (he has his Law license), older sis has run continuing legal education seminars for 30 years keeping the law community abreast of changing laws and practices, younger brother runs boat building seminars for kids at risk in the Twin Cities taking the innercity kids from first cut to launch, next younger brother launches small companies with finance, little sis, beside starting a neat at home business, raised fine kids who teach ESL in Korea, Buyer for Bosch in Stuttgart (?), finance in Chicago and RNA reasearch in Colorado, or the last littlest brother, 15 years younger, who works the public defenders office giving representation to those who can least afford it but most need it.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Tell me which I should give up.  Oldest sister has devoted her life to the VA in counseling and rehabilitation, older brother served in the Air Force, worked as a missionary to Ukraine orphanges and now volunteers at VA legal clinic (he has his Law license), older sis has run continuing legal education seminars for 30 years keeping the law community abreast of changing laws and practices, younger brother runs boat building seminars for kids at risk in the Twin Cities taking the innercity kids from first cut to launch, next younger brother launches small companies with finance, little sis, beside starting a neat at home business, raised fine kids who teach ESL in Korea, Buyer for Bosch in Stuttgart (?), finance in Chicago and RNA reasearch in Colorado, or the last littlest brother, 15 years younger, who works the public defenders office giving representation to those who can least afford it but most need it.

Too late now.