Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

The very rare and endangered Labrador Seal.  

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm figuring the sun is so hot, that it bakes everyone's brains...  then you have people migrating in from Ga and Alabama  NEW JERSEY!!

 

FIFY M8 :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trovão said:

i'm going with either arizona or alabama...    the inflatable has a bigger motor than then whatever that is... and what happened to the inboards, make room for the still?    the street light is a nice touch..  and i'd like to see a pic of the rooftop bimini up..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm going with either arizona or alabama...    the inflatable has a bigger motor than then whatever that is... and what happened to the inboards, make room for the still?    the street light is a nice touch..  and i'd like to see a pic of the rooftop bimini up..

git er done!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Ferretti 530 is probably in the $500,000 to $600,000 price range on the used boat market and the extra 8' of length that the custom deck you see on this one would probably add $80,000 to the price! Just do the math, this guy is brilliant! And he probably got $25,000 when he sold the no longer needed passarelle... A Babe magnet for sure.

   I found his next project awaiting him, this time a Feretti 80! 

Gallery_03_03.jpg

Gallery_03_02.jpg

This will all buff right out.

Gallery_03_06.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

How the fuck do you even get insurance?

you don't...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm going with either arizona or alabama...    the inflatable has a bigger motor than then whatever that is... and what happened to the inboards, make room for the still?    the street light is a nice touch..  and i'd like to see a pic of the rooftop bimini up..

brazil, afaik.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

WTF is that clusterfuck of a boat??  Can't afford to fix the inboards??

 

what inboards?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect it is now a houseboat. The outboard may be there because many marinas and mooring fields require a boat to be able to move under it's own power. Most never do. The strange back porch, underwater growth, streetlight illumination, mulitple lines to multiple mooring balls, and honda generator on a boat that should have one onboard, all point to a boat that will never move again. Perhaps a salvage or insurance claim picked up cheap. The inboard motors are long gone or rusted solid.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

people from jersey don't move to Fla...    it's NY or Conn ..

Says who???  We are surrounded by Jersey people here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, steele said:

I suspect it is now a houseboat. The outboard may be there because many marinas and mooring fields require a boat to be able to move under it's own power. Most never do. The strange back porch, underwater growth, streetlight illumination, mulitple lines to multiple mooring balls, and honda generator on a boat that should have one onboard, all point to a boat that will never move again. Perhaps a salvage or insurance claim picked up cheap. The inboard motors are long gone or rusted solid.

you pretty much nailed it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aAepKdo_460swp.webp

This reminds me of a Mexican restaurant chain in these parts, but relates to the placement of urinals, the 1st time I visited one of these establishments I was struck by one pisser at toddler height & the other at something that would suit a 7 footer comfortably, since it was my first visit I assumed it was simply someone that couldn't read a tape measure.

 

 

 

 

 

Until I visited another one of their restaurants in a different locale, same exact setup, kind of a weird gimmick when you think about it (I used the "tall" pisser, some what manageable at 5'-11).

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aAepKdo_460swp.webp

At least they had doors.  Lot's of places I've been in the ME and Asia wouldn't even bother.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, captnjoe said:

Trip to Ireland last fall.  The men's room off the hotel lobby.  My guess is code required 4 urinals, but didn't specify spacing.

PA010100.JPG

Mind sharing which hotel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Mind sharing which hotel?

Actually, it was a nice place, other than pictured:  Temple Gate Hotel, Ennis Ireland.  

Wikipedia: "Ennis is in County Clare, Ireland. The Irish name is short for Inis Cluana Rámhfhada. The town is on the River Fergus, north of where it enters the Shannon Estuary, 19 km from Shannon Airport."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, captnjoe said:

Trip to Ireland last fall.  The men's room off the hotel lobby.  My guess is code required 4 urinals, but didn't specify spacing.

PA010100.JPG

At least they had plumbing. Was in a dodgy Hong Kong bar where they were just screwed to the wall. Learnt the wide stance fairly quickly. Strange how no one bothered warning anyone about it. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, captnjoe said:

Actually, it was a nice place, other than pictured:  Temple Gate Hotel, Ennis Ireland.  

Wikipedia: "Ennis is in County Clare, Ireland. The Irish name is short for Inis Cluana Rámhfhada. The town is on the River Fergus, north of where it enters the Shannon Estuary, 19 km from Shannon Airport."

 

Thank you. Will check out the story next time I'm there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, captnjoe said:

My guess is code required 4 urinals, but didn't specify spacing.

Or maybe it did but a corner "resets" the spacing. New wall means it doesn't matter what is right there on the adjacent wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

not-enough-duct-tape-on-earth-to-fix-the

I recall reading long ago about a race driver who rigged up something like that to fake out his competitors - if they started gaining on him near a corner he'd flick it to cause them to hit the brakes or dodge aside - generally fuck them up so he could gain a little.

I'm sure the hillbilly setup in the pic cost a lot more time & money than an OEM brake switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aXg9Xgd_460swp.webp

 

Florida auto AC!!  Doesn't appear to be fastened to prevent in air scoop from moving backwards, into the steering wheel??  I need one of those for Missus BB's Beamer!!  It's a grand for the labor to change the unit behind the firewall up inside the dash.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Florida auto AC!!  Doesn't appear to be fastened to prevent in air scoop from moving backwards, into the steering wheel??  I need one of those for Missus BB's Beamer!!  It's a grand for the labor to change the unit behind the firewall up inside the dash.....

Pay it.  That's not a mess you want to get in to unless you're a contortionist w/hands the size of a 3 yr old. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Pay it.  That's not a mess you want to get in to unless you're a contortionist w/hands the size of a 3 yr old. 

 

She doesn't mind no A/C, and I just won't drive it, when it's too bloody hot.  The WRX blows very cold, when needed.  Her car is 16 years old and just over 200 k on the clock so not worth it, unless she cares to have A/C.  I am about to have new rear springs installed, but other than that, it;s just LOF every 5 or 10k, which are not very often, with her low miles driven.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aXg9Xgd_460swp.webp

Not sure why all of the attachments in Dreade’s posts are blank for me? Just Dreade’s, no one else. Doesn’t matter whether I’m logged in or not, it’s just a blank box with a bit of “code” in one corner; any thread across SA, not just this one. Wouldn’t be a big deal but he often posts some good humorous stuff, I wanna know what I’m missing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhoaTed said:

Not sure why all of the attachments in Dreade’s posts are blank for me? Just Dreade’s, no one else. Doesn’t matter whether I’m logged in or not, it’s just a blank box with a bit of “code” in one corner; any thread across SA, not just this one. Wouldn’t be a big deal but he often posts some good humorous stuff, I wanna know what I’m missing.

I can think of a few posters where that would be a welcome glitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhoaTed said:

Not sure why all of the attachments in Dreade’s posts are blank for me? Just Dreade’s, no one else. Doesn’t matter whether I’m logged in or not, it’s just a blank box with a bit of “code” in one corner; any thread across SA, not just this one. Wouldn’t be a big deal but he often posts some good humorous stuff, I wanna know what I’m missing.

happens on my phone and iPad with his posts but not at work computer, must not work with safari

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, burndoc said:

happens on my phone and iPad with his posts but not at work computer, must not work with safari

 

Some pics are blocked or don't show due to the nanny's on work computer, and some do.  I have my laptop and iPhone WiFi as Hotspot, if I want to view something work has blocked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Florida auto AC!!  Doesn't appear to be fastened to prevent in air scoop from moving backwards, into the steering wheel??  I need one of those for Missus BB's Beamer!!  It's a grand for the labor to change the unit behind the firewall up inside the dash.....

Where in the world did wing vents go to.  Seems much simpler.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From car talk blog:

 

Where Have All the Vent Windows Gone?

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Apr 28, 2015

Dear Car Talk:

I had a '73 MGB, and it had the vent windows. I now have a 2007 VW Eos, and like all new autos, it does NOT have vent windows. I miss the vent windows. Why were they designed out of the newer vehicles?

-- John

Yellow%20Car%20w%3A%20tree.gif

For two reasons, John. One is that they're no longer really necessary.

For those too young to remember vent windows, vinyl seats that left branding marks on your thighs and car interiors that felt like ovens, cars used to have small, triangular windows in front of the driver and passenger windows. Those vent windows could be unlocked and then angled outward, so they would catch the wind and blow it directly onto your face ... or other important areas of the body that require cooling.

And back before air conditioning, those vent windows could mean the difference between showing up at work ready to suck up to the boss, and showing up for work looking like you'd just played two hours of one-on-one with LeBron James.

But almost every car now comes with air conditioning. So if it's so hot that simply lowering a window won't cut it, you always have the option of rolling up the windows and turning the temperature down to 70 degrees.

And that leads to the second reason why you don't see vent windows anymore: Cars are actually more fuel-efficient with all of their windows closed and the air conditioner on -- even when you factor in the energy used to power the air conditioner.

A lot of work and science go into making cars aerodynamic these days so as to maximize mileage. And in order to make the wind flow around the car, the windows have to be closed to create a smooth exterior surface. If you open the windows, you increase the car's wind resistance and reduce its fuel mileage, especially at higher speeds.

And that's just with the regular windows open. If you were to push out one of the windows, so it was perpendicular to the car -- which is what vent windows did -- it'd be like mounting a pizza box on your door. It would kill the aerodynamic profile of the vehicle.

So that's why you don't see them anymore, John. But if you're really nostalgic, next time you go to the local pizza joint to get indigestion, save the box and stick it out your window on the way home

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim O'Hara, 32 years as a Body Design Engineer in Doors & Weatherstrips
 
 

I worked on the design, engineering and testing of one of these back in the mid 80’s (probably one of the last ones on an American vehicle). The purpose of a vent wing was to provide a channel for the front edge of the front door glass, to provide air flow in the days before widespread AC and they are great for smokers.

The glass channel function was replaced by filling in the front of the DayLight Opening with door sheet metal (thus strengthening the door) welding the glass channel to the backside of this and then mounting the rearview mirror on the triangular shark fin created by the added metal. This also provided a much sturdier mounting surface for the mirror as well as improved geometry for rear viewing angles. In today’s costs, 2 vent wings would likely cost $30 to $40 per vehicle plus installation labor which is plenty of incentive for a vehicle manufacturer to eliminate them.

Standards for air and water leakage are much higher on today’s vehicles and vent wings have no long term sealing capability. Even with improved rubber materials by the 1980’s, they still relied on thin cantilevered rubber lips with a directional crossover at the upper and lower pivots. These lips generally took a set fairly quickly and lost pressure to the glass leading to wind and water leaks. There was always a little hole at each of the pivots as well. The common fix often used by resourceful customers whose vent wing seals had lost compression was to wedge a penny under the latch to force the window to rotate closed more tightly. Have to say though, they were great if you didn’t have AC and were awesome for smokers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Where in the world did wing vents go to.  Seems much simpler.

IIRC Lady Bird Johnson got them outlawed as part of her Beautify America program, along with highway billboards.

The were wastepaper baskets for the nation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Some pics are blocked or don't show due to the nanny's on work computer, and some do.  I have my laptop and iPhone WiFi as Hotspot, if I want to view something work has blocked.

Work computer good. Home stuff not. Must be apple that blocks

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, burndoc said:

happens on my phone and iPad with his posts but not at work computer, must not work with safari

the images / videos are  webp / webm    new formats like jpg and mp4  ...   for ex whoated says he can't see the following ..

img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aXg9Xgd_460swp.webp

and thanks for the compliment whoa..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lamorak said:

.webp are a google based image protocol.  Apple Safari browser is not compatible with them.

it's funny how pissy  tech corporations are ...  in facebook, when you add a pic from a file,  the dropdown box would have all image suffixes except webp..  it wasn't until about 3 weeks ago they finally added it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

Where in the world did wing vents go to.  Seems much simpler.

I bought a 1992 or 3 Isuzu Rodeo specifically because it had wind wings. It was a terrible car in almost all other respects, but it did have windwings going for it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I bought a 1992 or 3 Isuzu Rodeo specifically because it had wind wings. It was a terrible car in almost all other respects, but it did have windwings going for it!

My brother and I drove from Fl back in the summer of '75 into Southern Texas in a VW bug, no AC, only the wing vents blasting super heated air to keep evaporating the sweat.  The old days :-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

My brother and I drove from Fl back in the summer of '75 into Southern Texas in a VW bug, no AC, only the wing vents blasting super heated air to keep evaporating the sweat.  The old days :-)

 

Back in the mid 1960's our family would drive from Michigan to places out west for our summer vacation - California, Arizona, Wyoming, etc.   Of course none of our cars had air conditioning and we would go in the hottest months.      We saw some cars with evaporation bags hanging on the outside of the car - you soak the bag in water, and the water inside the bag would be cooled by the evaporation of the water on the outside.

 

vintage-San-Francisco-USA-desert-water-b

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, slap said:

Back in the mid 1960's our family would drive from Michigan to places out west for our summer vacation - California, Arizona, Wyoming, etc.   Of course none of our cars had air conditioning and we would go in the hottest months.      We saw some cars with evaporation bags hanging on the outside of the car - you soak the bag in water, and the water inside the bag would be cooled by the evaporation of the water on the outside.

 

vintage-San-Francisco-USA-desert-water-b

Nice,  had one of those when I lived in Nevada. very rustic and pioneer like :-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dolphinmaster said:

My brother and I drove from Fl back in the summer of '75 into Southern Texas in a VW bug, no AC, only the wing vents blasting super heated air to keep evaporating the sweat.  The old days :-)

 

Oh, man that reminds me of driving from Houston to SoCal in August in my 12 year old 69 Saab with no AC. It's about 95F, sunny and I'm stuck in Houston rush hour traffic and the temperature gauge is nudging the too fucking hot line. I can't even pull over to the shoulder and really don't want to breakdown in the middle lane of the turnpike. 

As a hail Mary, I turn the heater to full hot and the fan on high to add some extra cooling coils to the system and it works! Not perfectly, but enough to keep it from boiling over. I'd been offshore for 3 months and was anxious to get home to Mama so I wound up driving for the next 2 days like that. Talk about a summer trip through southern hell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this in my parking lot at work yesterday.  This definitely is LONQR, but I have to give the owner props for ingenuity.  And it's not like gas is that expensive at the moment to go to these extremes.  But I guess every $$ counts.  

 

IMG_6230[2].jpg

IMG_6231[2].jpg

IMG_6232[2].jpg

IMG_6234[2].jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites