• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

The very rare and endangered Labrador Seal.  

Posted Images

Never seen this classic before. WFD someone...

image.png.8da264a0288b86477d6b9fe4daf68ef8.png

• Like 3

Not quite right to post this in this thread, but oh well....gotta go somewhere!

image.png.fb3d1f5423d01c944ed752cbdd4a7da7.png

• Like 7
On 6/1/2020 at 10:48 PM, Rain Man said:

Physics and chemistry are a bitch...

Lesson: Stay in school, kids. 

42 minutes ago, Laurent said:

This should be in the Darwin Award thread...

that is why i will always have a job

• Like 3
4 hours ago, chester said:

What was the plan for getting it out of the truck?

That going to be the easy part. Tie it to the front porch and drive forward.

Might have been a better clip as the wife would have been there as her house came down.

• Like 1

I was making my move from New Orleans to the Virgin Islands back in the late 70's and came up with a plan to buy a VW camper bus (Westfalia 1959 model) and pack all my worldly goods into and on it and a small trailer behind. I mean like all my cabinetmaking tools, basic household goods, a new 13' inflatable Achilles dingy and 25 horse outboard motor, a Honda 125 Enduro on the front bumper, a Dufour Wing sailboard, a couple of surfboards, and a girlfriend (and her shit!) to boot. I put the heavy stuff on the little utility trailer so as to have room on the bunk for camping of the drive to West Palm Beach where I would load everything into the bus or roof rack and it would all just barely fit into a 20' container that was used to lift vehicles up and over and down into the cargo hold of the ship. At the time if you could drive it into the lifting container and out on the other end it was a flat rate of $400! 

To ship that much stuff in a individual manifest basis would probably cost $4000 and the paperwork would have been astounding. Long story about just getting to the ship but when I finally drove across the street from the little motel where I consolidated my gear into and on the bus the axles were bottomed out and the rims were just about on the pavement. It was only about 300 yards to the scales just before the crane and container and I barely had room in the drivers seat with the spare tire taking up the rest of the passenger seat. I had been warned that if the ship stopped in Puerto Rico that my stuff would be pilfered there and there was no insurance on anything but the vehicle radio and the spare tire against theft. I knew some contractors on St John that would fly up to Florida and buy a $500 beater van and build a bulkhead behind the front seats and fill it to the brim down at Home Depot for their present home building project and then have the doors in back spot welded shut to prevent that sort of theft. My theory was to pack the bus so tight that one could not steal anything because there was barely any room to open a door the way the vehicles were packed like sardines down in the depths of the hold.

The buy in the glass booth who operated the scales just shook his head when he saw the poor overladen Vintage Westy and motioned me up onto the scales and glanced up at the readouts. He was writing down the results and motioned me to drive on when he waved me to stop and back up onto the scales again. He pulled the stops or whatever engages the load cells and took another reading and was about to erase and correct the entry when he shook his head in a puzzled way and motioned me to come in to his little control room. 

I stepped in and shook hands with him and played nice before he asked just what the hell I thought I was doing. I told him I just had a lot of junk I needed to get to the Islands cheap and he told me he had never seen anyone abuse the company policy the way I was on the flat rate 20' container deal. He said that he had gotten the scale reading on the first try and then looked up the empty vehicle weight in the volumes he had on a shelf. He decided that there was no way that I could have exceeded the Gross Vehicle Weight by as much as I had according to the book and had me put it back on the scales just to be sure. Same reading and he pointed to the big readout dial and then in the book at the empty weight and I had over the weight of the tortured bus in and on it, even without me behind the wheel!  He got up and said he had to see this for himself and just shook his head when he saw how the wheels and tires were abused. He gave me a lecture about how good the torsion bar suspension on the old VW's was but that such loads could easily break them and if they could drive in out of the ship on the other end I would get huge bill for such stupidity. 

He knew a lot about VW's and gave me some hints and softened up a bit and asked if I knew just how much a 1959 all original Westfalia was worth and I told him what I had paid for it. His jaw dropped and he asked to see the motor. He was astounded to see what he informed me was a 1600 Dual Port with tuned exhausted and told me that was about twice the original engines horsepower and who had put that motor in. I told him the guy I had traded straight across my 1969 BMW Euro Coupe for the bus was a Euro Motors specialty mechanic shop and that the motor had been on a VW bus flatbed with a tow rig that was a big part of his business advertising. He had upgraded the TowBus with a Porsche 912 engine out of a wrecked car and the Westy got the Dual Port.

VW Volkswagen camper campervan kombi recovery truck (With images ...

He asked what I would do with the bus when and if I got it unloaded on the other end and I told him I would camp in it when the big Island mansion I had been housesitting for the last year got rented out. He gave me a card and his home number and told me if I didn't destroy the suspension on the boat trip and I ever wanted to sell it he would pay top dollar AND pay for the shipping back to WPB.

He was still shaking his head as he watched me slip the clutch and slowly proceed to the awaiting crane for loading.

Nice ride this one,

VW wrecker | Volkswagen transporter, Volkswagen, Vintage vw

VW Tow Truck (With images) | Tow truck, Show trucks, Volkswagen vans

Just for reference, this is a 59 Westy in much better shape than my Island Escape combi. I didn't have the big awning but it looks like the same interior layout. The VW mechanic guru I got it from said it was the first Westy imported into the US. Sad thing is the first fall on the Island I flew home to pick up a trimaran I had bought and when I got back 3 months later the termites had gotten into the camper bus and gobbled up every bit of the nice German Beechwood that the interior was made of. It looked fine at first glance but they had gotten into the plywood in the end grain and eaten right up to the generous coats of lacquer and if you grabbed a cabinet door handle and pulled the door panel would just disintegrate in your hands and a pile of dust and termite shit would drop to the floorboard! Really a shame but I still drove it for maybe 5 more years on the Island before selling (cheap!) to a German mechanic who kept it going for maybe 5 more years until the steering column shaft dropped out the bottom into a pot hole and it sort of committed Seppuku...

1959 Volkswagen Westfalia Camper at The Henry Ford (With images ...

1959 VW Westfalia Camper and Trailer For Sale @ Oldbug.com

• Like 2

My second car was a 59 kombi. The motor was in bits on the floor. You had to be mechanical or rich to own a car in NZ in those days.

Not sure what happened to it, was too busy trying to get out of hospital to worry about what wrecker took it...

17 hours ago, Laker said:

Work out the physics. Still stays on the truck.

What if the brakes and tyres are perfect and the truck comes to a dead stop while reversing? Won't the rock continue to travel? 

On 5/27/2020 at 4:40 PM, WhoaTed said:

Not sure why all of the attachments in Dreade’s posts are blank for me? Just Dreade’s, no one else. Doesn’t matter whether I’m logged in or not, it’s just a blank box with a bit of “code” in one corner; any thread across SA, not just this one. Wouldn’t be a big deal but he often posts some good humorous stuff, I wanna know what I’m missing.

Same for me, judging by the odd one is see, I’m not missing much. 

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It got restored and is now worth $125,000.

That is an absurd figure Sloop! You have no clue to the market for old Combi busses. Just kidding but it is really absurd.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_11167696/VOLKSWAGEN--KOMBI--NSW+-+Sydney--WEST+RYDE+2114,+NSW--Microbus?searchKey=cg_s.9a501ef6dc9c9a628e3c1cdfb19f2479#pos7

Actually your number is pretty close to what I have seen for really top shelf busses or that era. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is for Kiwi dollars but this might be close to your guesstimate. 

image.png.32d26f66424c8d2d16487900b8c6c48d.png

Seems the Combi (with the little windows up high all the way around) are bringing better prices than the Westfalias of the same era.

image.png.1576fe6d5b16dbafc85229f8d86fbbc9.png

9 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

That is an absurd figure Sloop! You have no clue to the market for old Combi busses. Just kidding but it is really absurd.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_11167696/VOLKSWAGEN--KOMBI--NSW+-+Sydney--WEST+RYDE+2114,+NSW--Microbus?searchKey=cg_s.9a501ef6dc9c9a628e3c1cdfb19f2479#pos7

Actually your number is pretty close to what I have seen for really top shelf busses or that era. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is for Kiwi dollars but this might be close to your guesstimate. 

image.png.32d26f66424c8d2d16487900b8c6c48d.png

Seems the Combi (with the little windows up high all the way around) are bringing better prices than the Westfalias of the same era.

image.png.1576fe6d5b16dbafc85229f8d86fbbc9.png

21 window buses have been over $200K

Seriously.

Really demonstrates how absurd the wealth disparity has become.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, Gissie said:

My second car was a 59 kombi. The motor was in bits on the floor. You had to be mechanical or rich to own a car in NZ in those days.

Not sure what happened to it, was too busy trying to get out of hospital to worry about what wrecker took it...

............. so anyway, after I....            ( come on... there's a void there..)

2 hours ago, wal' said:

............. so anyway, after I....            ( come on... there's a void there..)

Simply story, asleep at the wheel, head on with a Ford transit. Not much left of it after they finally cut me out of it.

9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
On 6/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, mad said:

Same for me, judging by the odd one is see, I’m not missing much. 

no poofters..

??:unsure::unsure:

On 6/1/2020 at 9:05 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aMx9jLG_460swp.webp

That reminds me of a true story.  Back in the '30's when Mom was a little girl, at Easter time they went to visit relatives on a farm in Canada.  Baby chicks were plentiful, and Mom asked her father if they could take some home.  Of course, he said, knowing full well that Customs would confiscate them at the border.  He did NOT want to have chickens in the tony upscale Grosse Point neighborhood, where they lived outside of Detroit.  At the border, when asked if he had anything to declare, he told them of the chicks in the trunk.  They wave him on regardless, to his disappointment.  One of the chicks got a broken leg somehow and became a house pet.  Mom would carry him around like kids do a stuffed animal or blanket.  When he matured, they discovered he was a male, and she named him Pete.  Soon after that, he began to crow to my Grandfathers chagrin.  One day when Mom and her brother Bill came home from school, she noticed that Pete was not around.  Sitting down to a chicken dinner, which was her favorite meal, she turned to Bill and said, "have you seen Pete'?  Then it dawned on her what had happened and she somewhat sadly proceeded to have some delicious chicken!!

On 6/7/2020 at 5:44 AM, Black Sox said:

What if the brakes and tyres are perfect and the truck comes to a dead stop while reversing? Won't the rock continue to travel? 

in the absence of any friction, in a perfect vacuum, in outer space, yes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

That reminds me of a true story.  Back in the '30's when Mom was a little girl, at Easter time they went to visit relatives on a farm in Canada.  Baby chicks were plentiful, and Mom asked her father if they could take some home.  Of course, he said, knowing full well that Customs would confiscate them at the border.  He did NOT want to have chickens in the tony upscale Grosse Point neighborhood, where they lived outside of Detroit.  At the border, when asked if he had anything to declare, he told them of the chicks in the trunk.  They wave him on regardless, to his disappointment.  One of the chicks got a broken leg somehow and became a house pet.  Mom would carry him around like kids do a stuffed animal or blanket.  When he matured, they discovered he was a male, and she named him Pete.  Soon after that, he began to crow to my Grandfathers chagrin.  One day when Mom and her brother Bill came home from school, she noticed that Pete was not around.  Sitting down to a chicken dinner, which was her favorite meal, she turned to Bill and said, "have you seen Pete'?  Then it dawned on her what had happened and she somewhat sadly proceeded to have some delicious chicken!!

My wife's brother and SIL bought a fairly serious hobby farm in the valley agro area. One day Miriam picked up a bull calf at a garage sale (seriously :D). They named him Clarence and kept him for a year or two.

One Sunday we were out for dinner and I saw the wrapped meat with a cross and "Clarence RIP" on it.

AFAIAC if an animal has a name it's a pet and is not eligible for the table.

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

"Rooster" and "delicious chicken" do not always appear in the same context.

13 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

"Rooster" and "delicious chicken" do not always appear in the same context.

It was a young Rooster, so probably not bad for the table yet.

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

When i was a kid, my sisters and I got Easter chicks that quickly grew up to mid Summer, my grandmother came to visit and mom complained about the chickens the evening she arrived. Fried chicken the next night.  Problem solved.  

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

When i was a kid, my sisters and I got Easter chicks that quickly grew up to mid Summer, my grandmother came to visit and mom complained about the chickens the evening she arrived. Fried chicken the next night.  Problem solved.  

so how did you feel afterwards?

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

AFAIAC if an animal has a name it's a pet and is not eligible for the table.

Lots of folks grew their own groceries where I spent my formative years and my high school had a very active 4H program.  If was very common for dinner to have been named.

Steak, Hamburger and Lamb Chop were often used. 

• Like 1

I always feel sorry for the 4H kids at the PNE - always lots of tears as their animals are led away.

Like selling a pet dog for food.

I'm glad I grew up in orchard country. :D

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I always feel sorry for the 4H kids at the PNE - always lots of tears as their animals are led away.

Like selling a pet dog for food.

I'm glad I grew up in orchard country. :D

On the other hand, roast rack of apple is lacking something.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

amvYxW2_460swp.webp

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.298158,103.8858796,3a,15y,140.41h,79.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss_RKMCdcaI2l4LLPw8Iulg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.2980217,103.8859113,3a,15y,23.57h,74.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLIczD9LOEuJLPH5bAJTuLQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A statue of a young boy shiting, in the streets of... Singapore !

Nearby the house of a local old dignitary who promoted the installation of toilets in homes...

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Now that is what I call hurricane prep. :D

Strapping your double wide to a pontoon boat won't stop is from blowing away in a hurricane.   ;)

59 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Thank you.

My head hurt trying to figure out WTF that was about.

20 hours ago, Ishmael said:

On the other hand, roast rack of apple is lacking something.

But there is apple pie... and apple sauce and apple cider and apple jack.

Then there are cherries...

18 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Strapping your double wide to a pontoon boat won't stop is from blowing away in a hurricane.   ;)

I was thinking more hillbilly escape pod.

• Like 1
On 6/13/2020 at 5:29 AM, Black Sox said:

Well if you put some tires on that rock..............................

On 6/7/2020 at 5:44 AM, Black Sox said:

Assuming the tailgate is open and the bed has been greased, seems plausible.