15 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

FIRST ALERT: Head advisory issued for several Lowcountry counties

FIRST ALERT: Head advisory issued for several Lowcountry counties

The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory for Monday for four Lowcountry counties. (Source: Live 5)

It is the "Head Advisory" that grabbed my attention...…..  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Snaggs, I'm not dismissing all of you folks.   Just most of them.   I've lived in the US, Korea, Japan, Germany, and Poland.  Each country has its charms and its problems.  I was in the A

The very rare and endangered Labrador Seal.  

glad we don't have to watch Keith moon ...

Posted Images

On 7/22/2020 at 12:59 AM, VWAP said:

That is fricken fantastic.  I've got a beach up north I need this guy to do a little work on.  Does he have an excavator?

2 minutes ago, Laker said:

If you believe in " do unto others as you would have them to do unto you", you are entitled to respect and the world owes you dignity.

You may believe in the do unto part, but it still gives you no entitlement and you are still owed nothing.

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

You may believe in the do unto part, but it still gives you no entitlement and you are still owed nothing.

Self-dislike is a terrible thing.  You must at least respect yourself or you reach the existential limit-suicide. Why then do not others have an entitlement to respect?

1 minute ago, Laker said:

Self-dislike is a terrible thing.  You must at least respect yourself or you reach the existential limit-suicide. Why then do not others have an entitlement to respect?

Of course you should respect yourself. But there is no such thing as entitlement to respect. To do so means that you feel you should be able to tell others how they should behave.

This do not mean that those not showing respect aren't dickheads that deserve a kick in the nuts.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Of course you should respect yourself. But there is no such thing as entitlement to respect. To do so means that you feel you should be able to tell others how they should behave.

This do not mean that those not showing respect aren't dickheads that deserve a kick in the nuts.

Is that really your concept of respect?  The ability to tell others how to behave?  It sounds like you are reacting to the unbridled use of power by others by bringing about your own use of whatever power you have.  We are talking of those things you are entitled, not what you get.

1 hour ago, Laker said:

Is that really your concept of respect?  The ability to tell others how to behave?  It sounds like you are reacting to the unbridled use of power by others by bringing about your own use of whatever power you have.  We are talking of those things you are entitled, not what you get.

You said you are entitled to respect if you do unto others. I disagree, you are entitled to what people decide to give you, nothing more. Respect is not some god given human right, it is a concept that we have invented and has variations in different cultures. So if you think you are entitled to it, you are putting your ideas on others and expecting them to follow your lead.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Laker said:

Isn't this the same debate on inherent rights we talked over previously?

Mabey..... is it oune whearre the jiste bening thet "three inherrent leftes macke an inherrente right"  ???                              :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Respect must be earned; it's not automaticly granted..

I'll disagree,  Teachers,  folks in the military, police, firemen, first responders

they all get my utmost respect when I first meet them.    now after the initial meeting that respect could be rescinded but this group of people start with a high bar.

But back to LONQR

http://11foot8.com/

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just wondering,  is getting married a slow suicide?

Quite the opposite - married men live longer.

And it's not just that it seems longer.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

It's a wonderful thing to be married.  I keep doing it over and over again.

I now found my new love but she keeps complaining about the ex...

I guess it was a mistake to explain all the ways we enjoyed each other.  No one told me to shut up, clearly.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I'll disagree,  Teachers,  folks in the military, police, firemen, first responders

they all get my utmost respect when I first meet them.    now after the initial meeting that respect could be rescinded but this group of people start with a high bar.

But back to LONQR

http://11foot8.com/

There’s a US film about a school sports team. They aren’t doing so well until ti Samuel L Jackson comes in as the new coach. He starts by instilling some respect into the lads by calling them all “Sir” to start off with. They get that for free but can lose it. A bit like your attitude above.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 9:04 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Not if she's a redhead.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:19 PM, Black Sox said:

There’s a US film about a school sports team. They aren’t doing so well until ti Samuel L Jackson comes in as the new coach. He starts by instilling some respect into the lads by calling them all “Sir” to start off with. They get that for free but can lose it. A bit like your attitude above.

Coach Carter, sort of an updated To Sir with Love but with a basketball backdrop.  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Coach Carter, sort of an updated To Sir with Love but with a basketball backdrop.  

For a role like that, I'll take Sid over Sam any day.  

Just happened to me. 

Buddy sent me an e-mail with a link to an article about a marina fire.  I clicked onto the link and embedded in the article is a video of the fire.  Clicked onto the video and then pops up one of those annoying ads.  This ad was about grilling Angus beef.  And the voiceover began, “A hint of smoke and the kiss of fire….” 

Article and video have next to no details. 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/07/29/several-boats-catch-fire-at-st-clair-shores-marina-smoke-seen-for-miles/

Touch of Smoke.JPG

1 hour ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Just happened to me. 

Buddy sent me an e-mail with a link to an article about a marina fire.  I clicked onto the link and embedded in the article is a video of the fire.  Clicked onto the video and then pops up one of those annoying ads.  This ad was about grilling Angus beef.  And the voiceover began, “A hint of smoke and the kiss of fire….” 

Article and video have next to no details. 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/07/29/several-boats-catch-fire-at-st-clair-shores-marina-smoke-seen-for-miles/

Touch of Smoke.JPG

adblock,   install the app to your browser...

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, SloopJonB said:

Quite the opposite - married men live longer.

And it's not just that it seems longer.

yeah, but there's the whole quality of life thing too ya know... 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, but there's the whole quality of life thing too ya know... 

Women are more likely to choose men who have better health and financial prospects.  Just Darwinian selection at work.  So the whole married men live longer and make more $$ bit is hopelessly confounded by selection bias.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Women are more likely to choose men who have better health and financial prospects.  Just Darwinian selection at work.  So the whole married men live longer and make more $$ bit is hopelessly confounded by selection bias.

You're assuming they're good at choosing. But I'm married!

14 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

You're assuming they're good at choosing. But I'm married!

Yes indeed...  Mine goofed up badly.  Too lazy for a redoo I guess.

2 hours ago, Windward said:

Yes indeed...  Mine goofed up badly.  Too lazy for a redoo I guess.

The choice only has to work for as long as you are useful for procreation and child support.  The remainder is just Darwinian leftovers. :D

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

1761CCF4-5EB8-48C2-A227-814F60A97079.jpeg

Pretty funny but I can't believe it's real. That engine weighs over 500 lbs, and with the jack plate shown in your other pic would be over 600 lbs. It would sink the boat. It would also be uncontrollable using a tiller.

2 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Pretty funny but I can't believe it's real. That engine weighs over 500 lbs, and with the jack plate shown in your other pic would be over 600 lbs. It would sink the boat. It would also be uncontrollable using a tiller.

It’s absolutely real. This photo showed up a couple of weeks ago. He isn’t dead or sunk yet, but it’s just a matter of time. The photos from yesterday were taken about 5 miles from my house at the Cherokee Mills boat ramp on Bells Ferry road. If ever see it out running, I will definitely shoot some video. 

60C5E96A-87E0-42FD-A644-D431DF19A4C4.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

It looks like there is a ballast tank in the bow.  At 8.34 pounds per gallon and let's say the tank holds 30 galls, that's 250 pounds of ballast.  That will at least keep the stern a couple of inches from flooding I would think.  It looks that way in the one photo anyway.

The owner should use a tiller extension to get his weight more forward and he might gain another inch or two of freeboard at the stern.  I am going to guess he has to slow down very slowly or the wake rushing up on him would swamp the boat in a heartbeat.

I can only wonder why somebody would do such a thing, although 'Florida' Man is as good an answer as any.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

It looks like there is a ballast tank in the bow.  At 8.34 pounds per gallon and let's say the tank holds 30 galls, that's 250 pounds of ballast.  That will at least keep the stern a couple of inches from flooding I would think.  It looks that way in the one photo anyway.

The owner should use a tiller extension to get his weight more forward and he might gain another inch or two of freeboard at the stern.  I am going to guess he has to slow down very slowly or the wake rushing up on him would swamp the boat in a heartbeat.

I can only wonder why somebody would do such a thing, although 'Florida' Man is as good an answer as any.

I think the ballast tank is his fuel tank. Maybe 15 gallons at 6.3 lbs/gallon = 95 lbs of ballast in the bow that gets consumed pretty quickly. 

This is Georgia Man, which usually isn't as insane as Florida Man. It's right up there though. A true Florida Man can't usually afford a $26,000 outboard!  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

He's probably a Hot Rodder.

Their credo for horsepower is "If some's good, more's better and too much is just right"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

It’s absolutely real. This photo showed up a couple of weeks ago. He isn’t dead or sunk yet, but it’s just a matter of time. The photos from yesterday were taken about 5 miles from my house at the Cherokee Mills boat ramp on Bells Ferry road. If ever see it out running, I will definitely shoot some video. 

Is the tongue weight a negative number?   The transom and lower hull have to be stress cracking if he drives more then a couple miles.   

8 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Definitely look real in the pic with the engine tilted up at rest with half the lower unit submerged.

50 minutes ago, Lark said:

Is the tongue weight a negative number?   The transom and lower hull have to be stress cracking if he drives more then a couple miles.   

I read from some folks who talked to him that the there was additional ballast inside the front bench as well. Otherwise the boat would flip on it's back on a hole shot. They also said the owner claims the hull is not aluminum, that it's a titanium instead. I seriously doubt he got G3 to build a one-off titanium hull, so I take that with a grain of salt. I would not doubt he had to so some serious transom reinforcement. He also added some additional buoyancy aft with the aluminum boxes on either side of the motor. I promise you if I ever meet him I will ask a lot of questions. 

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

If it is fake housing just think - hidden ice chest compartment to hold all the beer and then the illegal fish. Winner winner filet dinner.

This is what I was thinking as well.  The lower unit isn't even black.

Although the lower is pretty large.  

I'm definitely going with a creative 9hp 2 stroke cobbled into something else.

Good fun, and bravo. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

If you say so!

I've got an absurdly overpowered tin boat myself. 12' long and rated for 8 hp but I use a 15. Works great with a noted Wish Key maker aboard but it's pretty terrifying to open it up when I am alone. Clocked between 26 and 27 knots on the GPS. Georgia Man is definitely winning this round. Where's that Charlie Sheen picture?

On 6/28/2020 at 2:49 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
32 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

That was my first thought as well. Maybe something else like fireworks or weapons  blew up first which started the fire that lead to a fertilizer explosion. 

Funny I chose to read this thread right after reading the Colon Blow thread.  New low for GA?

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

And 89.95???

Do not be dissuaded...  The beginning of this pandemic saw some dark stains on humanity.

Pay no attention to photoshop.   Any discrepancies are just there to confuse the weak minded.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, captnjoe said:

Funny I chose to read this thread right after reading the Colon Blow thread.  New low for GA?

ok, how did you get a quote of me , quoting something in the future?   if I could see the future, there would have a been a ton of things I wouldn't have done and a few things I would have..

untitled.jpg

On 8/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, alphafb552 said:

Nice clean cut btw

Right through the flipping bone! Damn. I know not to mess with snappers, but I had no idea they were strong enough to go through bone so cleanly like that. Damn.