31 feet deck saloon boat

I would normally have rubbished the idea and I am not normally into heavy displacement but I find this boat interesting as it is a new way of thinking of a relatively small cruising boat for colder climates :

I imagine that It won't win races but it does look like better than a motorsailer.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, atyourcervix said:

winch handle for engine throttle?  What could possibly go wrong there?

That boat's not my cup of tea, but a winch handle as a removable throttle is very common on racing yachts.  One less thing to catch ropes on.  Not sure about on a motor sailor.

They have made impressive use of space, and it has nicer rig than I expected.

• Like 1

I have always liked them. There are certainly compromises involved but for an all weather boat that still can sail they seem about right. They are also semi-custom and very expensive. This is a recent local write up of the larger version. https://48north.com/boats-and-gear/boat-reviews/sirius-40-ds-boat-test/

This photo from the article goes a long we to explain their appeal;

image.png.710654f16fda3c77aab47d30f4c7f2ce.png

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

276,000 euro.  you can get a whole lotta boat on the used market for that amount.

Don't look at the price, we need to dream in these lockdown times.

• Like 2
On 4/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, Panoramix said:

I would normally have rubbished the idea and I am not normally into heavy displacement but I find this boat interesting as it is a new way of thinking of a relatively small cruising boat for colder climates :

I imagine that It won't win races but it does look like better than a motorsailer.

On CruisersForum, that would be classified as a light weighter. It kinda reminds me of the LM Vitesse Vision though, with "zeh deckzhaus".

1 hour ago, Misbehavin' said:

On CruisersForum, that would be classified as a light weighter. It kinda reminds me of the LM Vitesse Vision though, with "zeh deckzhaus".

Is a pogo called lighter than air over there? ;)

• Like 1

We have friends with an LM 28 that is an older version (1986 or so) of this same concept.  It really is a fine small cruising boat for colder climates.  They use theirs between Fredericton New Brunswick (Upper St. John River), down to the Bay of Fundy and Campebello Island.  We did the run from Campebello back up to Fredericton with them once and have sailed with them in the Bay of Fundy and Passamaquoddy Bay numerous times.  Great boat for a couple, or two, fun to sail on the hot sunny days, and on the cooler foggy ones too.  The entire back of the Pilot House can open and fold or slide away to open it to the cockpit in the nice days, where you can steer with the tiller (wheel system disengauges with a simple lever), or close it up on the cooler days to steer from the seat in the Pilot House.  There's even a large, sliding overhead hatch over the steering station so you can slide it open and stand up at the wheel with your head outside to talk to the fore-deck or just look around.

Great boat: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/lm-28

Not theirs, but the same layout: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/lm-28-3545478/

I think it would make a fine small cruising boat with quite a lot going on for its length.  As already mentioned though, the price is hard to swallow, but I think the price of almost all new boats is given the breadth of available yachts on the used market.  

• Like 1

The 35 is near perfect in my book. You can buy a lot more(size) boat for the same money (new or used) but not the same quality and few builders are building this level quality in smaller, under 40' packages.  

i

Is the main attached to the binnacle a thing that is acceptable?  Must be...

I would be bummed to chuck the whole lot overboard in sub optimal jibe.   Not that I would really know what that is.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Epi-sailor said:

The 35 is near perfect in my book. You can buy a lot more(size) boat for the same money (new or used) but not the same quality and few builders are building this level quality in smaller, under 40' packages.  

i

Why did the bother putting a mast on that tween.
Be honest it is a motorboat with stumps.

9 hours ago, Epi-sailor said:

i

Can I order it with different writing at the waterline?

On 4/7/2020 at 9:40 PM, bgytr said:

276,000 euro.  you can get a whole lotta boat on the used market for that amount.

Very few with a pilothouse and a walk thru transom but. But yeah I agree, that's a lotta cash.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, European Bloke said:

That boat's not my cup of tea, but a winch handle as a removable throttle is very common on racing yachts.  One less thing to catch ropes on.  Not sure about on a motor sailor.

They have made impressive use of space, and it has nicer rig than I expected.

It’s a Spinlock throttle control unit.  I put one on my boat after removing the binnacle - very well concealed/low profile in cockpit.  As you probably know, Spinlock supplies a small handle that fits in, or use a winch handle instead.

For 31’, I’m impressed with the boat as a near-shore coastal cruiser even if it’s not my style (yet?!).  I can totally see the market for it, maybe an older couple who don’t want a big boat (anymore?) and who have  got that kind of cash to spend on a new boat (and who likes white cushions...that’s a fail! :-) )

The interior of the boat looks very clever but I question how practical having a settee as the only real interior seating is going to be in the long term. I mean I love having someone bring me dinner in the big comfy booth at my favorite restaurant but I don't think I would want to live in it.

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

The interior of the boat looks very clever but I question how practical having a settee as the only real interior seating is going to be in the long term. I mean I love having someone bring me dinner in the big comfy booth at my favorite restaurant but I don't think I would want to live in it.

Having the one settee requires the crew to draw straws thus deciding who can lie on the skipper.

12 hours ago, monsoon said:

The writing says it goes to 11. Who wouldn't want that?!

I want heirogliphics on one side and selections from the Kama Sutra on the other. Is that asking too much?