I've started building a proa back in October and I am now well on the way of making something that looks like a boat and is turning out to be waterproof. 

I chose to build in in Alu mainly because of the low maintanance aspects of it. 

I chose a proa because... 

I mean look at that design. 

I just fell in love with the whole concept. 

Things have been going steadily and I've also kept a video record of the build. Here's the latest episode if you're interested. 

I've enjoyed watching these build videos for years and now I'm making them myself. 

I used to work with a friend who came over to do the editing but honestly if you're not there the whole time it's very difficult to paint a picture without having to look at ALL the footage. 

So I decided to go back to basics and make those videos on my own. 

I'm enjoying the collective effort to solve some of my problems. 

I wanted to upload some pictures of the boat to show you where I'm at but I got errors with the files over and over again. 

Welp

If you got questions 

Shoot

Or try to find the answer on my YouTube channel or instagram

All under the name of - king herog - 

A bit of self promotion. 

A bit of genuine enthusiasm to share my fortune. 

Please excuse my vanity. 

• Like 3

I'm not an aluminum welder and I can't see those welds up close enough - but he sure was moving very fast with the gun on the bow. And the resulting weld bead didn't look very good. Maybe it's just a temporary one to hold the bow??

image.png.27292f48eab5f16519b24ed8c5e4d40d.png

I am all for people building boats and having a good time doing so, but  when I see stuff where you think the dude doesn't really know what he is doing. If it floats and the weld doesn't crack after a decade great; more power to him. But I wouldn't bet on it.

(Maybe it's just the word "Origami" that we all fear will bring back BS. Like saying "Betelgeuse" a few times.)

How about Boat Building Videos I really like:  I have to say I've been watching the Acorn to Arabella and Samson Boat Co videos. I'm not a big traditional wooden boat enthusiast but both seem to know what they are doing. It does seem painfully slow to build a trad wooden boat hull (or rebuild).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiDWnTP0WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

And the Parley Revival guy who bought a hurricane write off catamaran and spent months repairing it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrqanbSklKodK2Onpt6KgA

And then there is an airplane guy who is quite good with composites in his own weird way. He is building a carbon skinned, steel tube framed light airplane called Scrappy. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSvdee86uThqIrloZjWwNVg

But Doug on SV Seeker is a fuckwit who suffers from Dunning-Kruger

The NC cut mermaid brackets are going to cause injuries if you fall on them. Mostly from the tits which stick out the most.

And those NC cut transverse frames? The cutouts are so close to the edge that the frame will fail if loaded heavily. Not enough shear area, not enough material in the highly stressed areas. When enthusiasm exceeds your skill level.

His boat is something like 70' or so. The frames WILL have heavy loads on the structure in a seaway. If it fails in rough seas, then maybe his dream dies. But the dude doesn't listen very often.

image.png.c9b9aa3f2a2715fcb290665fb88434c5.png

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

I'm not an aluminum welder and I can't see those welds up close enough - but he sure was moving very fast with the gun on the bow. And the resulting weld bead didn't look very good. Maybe it's just a temporary one to hold the bow??

image.png.27292f48eab5f16519b24ed8c5e4d40d.png

I am all for people building boats and having a good time doing so, but  when I see stuff where you think the dude doesn't really know what he is doing. If it floats and the weld doesn't crack after a decade great; more power to him. But I wouldn't bet on it.

(Maybe it's just the word "Origami" that we all fear will bring back BS. Like saying "Betelgeuse" a few times.)

How about Boat Building Videos I really like:  I have to say I've been watching the Acorn to Arabella and Samson Boat Co videos. I'm not a big traditional wooden boat enthusiast but both seem to know what they are doing. It does seem painfully slow to build a trad wooden boat hull (or rebuild).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiDWnTP0WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

And the Parley Revival guy who bought a hurricane write off catamaran and spent months repairing it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrqanbSklKodK2Onpt6KgA

And then there is an airplane guy who is quite good with composites in his own weird way. He is building a carbon skinned, steel tube framed light airplane called Scrappy. 

The NC cut mermaid brackets are going to cause injuries if you fall on them. Mostly from the tits which stick out the most.

And those NC cut transverse frames? The cutouts are so close to the edge that the frame will fail if loaded heavily. Not enough shear area, not enough material in the highly stressed areas. When enthusiasm exceeds your skill level.

His boat is something like 70' or so. The frames WILL have heavy loads on the structure in a seaway. If it fails in rough seas, then maybe his dream dies. But the dude doesn't listen very often.

image.png.c9b9aa3f2a2715fcb290665fb88434c5.png

Yes those are just a bit like hefty tagwelds keeping the plates together.

They are ugly for sure I agree!

My eventual welds on the bottom are allot better!

And Yeah i don't know what I am doing but I'm learning and quite frankly getting a hand on it. That doesn't mean however that I'm not open for some positive advice.

Positive that is because once someone starts with just typing out the worst case scenario then they might not loose credibility but they loose my attention because with this big project I have to keep the best case scenario in mind.

I definitly have some big and a huge amount of questions to answer but if I focus on them all at once I would've never started ;)

keep watching.

share your expertise 

• Like 1

Remember KH, none of us are even attempting what you are, so worst case is that you learn how to build boats and best case scenario is that this is just your first. Can’t wait to see the end result.

And lose has one o.

Now I sound like my 5th grade teacher...carry on and have fun!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Remember KH, none of us are even attempting what you are, so worst case is that you learn how to build boats and best case scenario is that this is just your first. Can’t wait to see the end result.

And lose has one o.

Now I sound like my 5th grade teacher...carry on and have fun!

Thanks man for the feedback.

English is weird.

And I am not going to let anyone drag me down. there are more positive messages than negative.

But doing something so out of the ordinary does not free me of criticism.

I can only embrace it and assume people mean well and still try to curb the way they formulate it ;) 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, King Herog said:

English is weird.

And I am not going to let anyone drag me down. there are more positive messages than negative.

I can only embrace it and assume people mean well and still try to curb the way they formulate it ;) 

according to SA standards all you got that could be perceived as negative is still pretty mild, don't worry.

video : don't go too lengthy, we don't need to see each individual weld ;-)

initial reaction on seeing you fooling around with that long alu piece was that it looked awfully thin, but then my reference for thickness is in alu mono yachts and can see the logic, hope only that all that welding does not cause the alu to warp, that's a known thing.

back to lockdown modus, or is going to that construction an essential move ? ;-)

I spent 5 years restoring my wooden cutter rig sloop at a local marina. Many folk told I would never finish it off  since there was so much work to be done. That only motivated me.. 

Now 3 years and a number of good miles at sea with many new frames, deadwood and rudder, new tiller, new sails and new paint and sharp looking varnish job, people are happy to tell me that they were wrong about my vision and that the boat makes the yacht club look elegant.

The boat is bow down as we’re checking the fit of the new sails while the motor is out( decided to blow it off for the season and just plain sail) and there are 2 heavy anchors and 300’ chain in the anchor locker. 

4C7D0ADD-BB8A-41DA-83DD-2DC9AA951D27.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I spent 5 years restoring my wooden cutter rig sloop at a local marina. Many folk told I would never finish it off  since there was so much work to be done. That only motivated me.. 

Now 3 years and a number of good miles at sea with many new frames, deadwood and rudder, new tiller, new sails and new paint and sharp looking varnish job, people are happy to tell me that they were wrong about my vision and that the boat makes the yacht club look elegant.

The boat is bow down as we’re checking the fit of the new sails while the motor is out( decided to blow it off for the season and just plain sail) and there are 2 heavy anchors and 300’ chain in the anchor locker. 

4C7D0ADD-BB8A-41DA-83DD-2DC9AA951D27.jpeg

Nice.   More pics?

1 hour ago, King Herog said:

English is weird.

Good sense about criticism.   

Yard I work in is frequented by a lot of very skilled people who can’t help stopping by and yakking with me about this n that.   It’s all good.  

My boat is an art project/pocket cruiser for near shore tripping.   Once they get dialed into the idea that I want to learn some new skills, pace the project around my other interests and NOT pull a Webb Chiles and go hard and deep off shore - we all relax and chuckle about this/that.   

10 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Nice.   More pics?

Yup. Many of the restoration , however some really good stuff was lost when a computer crashed without saving to the cloud...I’ll start another thread so this one doesn’t drift off course.

It seems like these projects are fairly well divided into two groups, those putting on a reality show and those building or restoring a boat.  The latter for the most part have thick skins and although skill levels very they don't seem too distracted by the commentary noise and carry on.  I met one of the kooky original BC origami guys and he has more miles under more hulls than most.  He most certainly never spends any time online and is quite happy cruising around with his wife.  King H, having done a pretty big refit with some portions out there on forums with commentary, I can say the best thing you will get out of the online presence are connections to professionals who know what they are doing.  You can't expect people to give free professional advise, but more often than not on here they will steer you in the right direction.  You can also get some more complex issues sorted properly by paying for a few hrs of their time.  

Good luck on your build!

10 hours ago, Zonker said:

Wow,...I had no idea Draco crashed...one of my favourites

5 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

It seems like these projects are fairly well divided into two groups, those putting on a reality show and those building or restoring a boat.  The latter for the most part have thick skins and although skill levels very they don't seem too distracted by the commentary noise and carry on.  I met one of the kooky original BC origami guys and he has more miles under more hulls than most.  He most certainly never spends any time online and is quite happy cruising around with his wife.  King H, having done a pretty big refit with some portions out there on forums with commentary, I can say the best thing you will get out of the online presence are connections to professionals who know what they are doing.  You can't expect people to give free professional advise, but more often than not on here they will steer you in the right direction.  You can also get some more complex issues sorted properly by paying for a few hrs of their time.  

Good luck on your build!

Agreed with everything you say. 

I'm mostly trying to find like minded souls with more expertise :)

On 4/9/2020 at 4:57 PM, Zonker said:

This. He was told early on about how origami wouldn't scale up to that size/displacement hull but - Doug knows better.

As for the proa man, good luck with it. I admire someone who gets in & has a go, provided they display some common sense WRT structural elements. Unlike SV Rusty Junk.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

This. He was told early on about how origami wouldn't scale up to that size/displacement hull but - Doug knows better.

As for the proa man, good luck with it. I admire someone who gets in & has a go, provided they display some common sense WRT structural elements. Unlike SV Rusty Junk.

FKT

can you elaborate on the SV rusty Junk mistakes?

Just now, King Herog said:

can you elaborate on the SV rusty Junk mistakes?

Not really - the question would  be where to start, and there's already a pretty comprehensive thread on that build. I think the guy it an utter idiot and hopefully his 'boat' will never see the ocean. He gives home builders a really bad rep.

FWIW I built and launched a 12m steel sailboat, splashed her in December 2018 and we've clocked up a fair few miles & hours since. First haulout is approaching (this coronavirus has fucked over my plans) and I've a bunch of little things to add/change but nothing major. Anyway, point is that I have a few clues, been there done that.

But I bought a design I knew would work and concentrated on the build. A yacht designer, I am not.

FKT

11 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Not really - the question would  be where to start, and there's already a pretty comprehensive thread on that build. I think the guy it an utter idiot and hopefully his 'boat' will never see the ocean. He gives home builders a really bad rep.

FWIW I built and launched a 12m steel sailboat, splashed her in December 2018 and we've clocked up a fair few miles & hours since. First haulout is approaching (this coronavirus has fucked over my plans) and I've a bunch of little things to add/change but nothing major. Anyway, point is that I have a few clues, been there done that.

But I bought a design I knew would work and concentrated on the build. A yacht designer, I am not.

FKT

11 hours ago, King Herog said:

Awesome! You'll definitely hear from me!

KH, pay attention to FKT, when it comes to doing stuff with metal, he knows what he's talking about.

Best of luck with your build.

• 2 weeks later...