While the world has gone Tango Uniform - what has NOT changed?

One thing that I'm noticing among how quiet everything has been with the roads empty and whatnot...... is that the local civilian airport seems to me to have a higher than usual amount of small aircraft flight training traffic.  I'm hearing a lot more people beating up the pattern, it seems.  Which is odd, because the Gov has declared a mandatory closure of all non-essential businesses.  I'm not sure how flight training or just flying around (unless you own your own plane) is essential business.  The ATC tower would likely have to be manned as well.  

What sorts of things are you all seeing that seem like "normal" pre-Covid activity but likely shouldn't be?

20 minutes ago, Desert Racer said:

One thing that I'm noticing among how quiet everything has been with the roads empty and whatnot...... is that the local civilian airport seems to me to have a higher than usual amount of small aircraft flight training traffic.  I'm hearing a lot more people beating up the pattern, it seems.  Which is odd, because the Gov has declared a mandatory closure of all non-essential businesses.  I'm not sure how flight training or just flying around (unless you own your own plane) is essential business.  The ATC tower would likely have to be manned as well.  

What sorts of things are you all seeing that seem like "normal" pre-Covid activity but likely shouldn't be?

The Zombies have learned to swim by now but still haven't figured out how to fly...

Can: Can Zombies Swim

Kayak classes

Home depot/Lowes open but local construction shut down

People still hanging out in groups at parks and on the beach

Pot shops are open but gun stores are closed

Lots of people taking long drives (which seems safe enough to me, as long as you are in the same familial group). Bu the roads are full of groups of Bikers going places. Destination areas around here are filled with people.

WL

Neighbors are treating it as a vacation.  It's one big party over there.

:-/

Social distancing thing has not been mandated by their church apparently. 

The highway department found it essential to spread gravel along the soft shoulder in front of the office.   The city replaced a curb on my side street.   

Half the population is on a covid vacation.    Of the other half, half are stressed, tired and overworked, the remainder busy trying to arrange their own vacation.    

lots of construction activity around here too, but it seems like what's going on on my street conforms with social distancing.. workers apart from each other puttin up tyvek and siding  sorta stuff.. can't see what going on inside.. the yard where my trawler is, is in full swing launching boats, but the outfit that was installing dripless seals on my shafts, shut down 10 days ago.. about 2 hours from being done with my boat.. oh well.. plenty more boats in my backyard to fuck around with little projects on. have gone sailing solo a few times since I got back from CO.

The local independent grocery store doesn't appear to have any covid protocols in place, but the big chain groceries around here do.. Trader Joes seems to be the most conscientious with regard to keeping people apart and their premises clean.

lakes are closed to sailing, but the city allows everyone to go running , walking , and tons of bicycle riders, but don't allow cars into the parks

box stores are open  , construction is still going on,  lawn care landscapers everywhere..

sporting goods stores are open because they sell guns..

not as many planes in the sky,  that's nice

11 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Posters seeking attention are still starting threads. I am still snarky and pithy especially when wearing my pith helmet.

Protocol forces me to ask what thread you last started?

I hate to have to ask.

Just now, mad said:

Wofsey still continues to amaze all with his bullshit. 

Where has he been?  I haven't seen him post in a while.   I guess we haven't been watching the same threads.

2 minutes ago, Windward said:

Where has he been?  I haven't seen him post in a while.   I guess we haven't been watching the same threads.

He had a time out for few days, he’s back on full flow bullshit mode in various threads.

1C917294-EE61-46A0-928C-800EB76D0AF2.png

:wacko:

1 minute ago, mad said:

He had a time out for few days, he’s back on full flow bullshit mode in various threads.

1C917294-EE61-46A0-928C-800EB76D0AF2.png

Oh dear....  I warned him about vaping, alcohol and posting.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Windward said:

Protocol forces me to ask what thread you last started?

I hate to have to ask.

I don't remember as it's been some time ago.  But today am in a pithy mood so:  Pith on

09332cbf2a204d0aac041da695ebd726_18.jpg

and pith off. (not directed at you or anyone in particular)

001972_01.jpg

On 4/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, Desert Racer said:

The little GA airport around the corner is doing a brisk business as well.  Traffic a lot higher yesterday, not sure why.  We also have one of the best regarded hospitals in the state around the corner, and we hear ambulance sirens every 30 minutes or so.  In the before times, it was probably four a day.

1 hour ago, burndoc said:

Covered trauma earlier in week. Three GSW. Two stabs. Three car crashes. Now I have been known as a shit magnet but more than usual

That's heroic stuff there doc.  Thank you.

• Like 2

It was quiet for a while like after 9/11. I think a fair amount of the population has reached their breaking point and are getting back to normal routine. I have been seeing more people out

1 hour ago, burndoc said:

It was quiet for a while like after 9/11. I think a fair amount of the population has reached their breaking point and are getting back to normal routine. I have been seeing more people out

Still lots of people in the grocery store still, but only a very few are NOT wearing a mask or bandana.  Some with gloves too.

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

The little GA airport around the corner is doing a brisk business as well.  Traffic a lot higher yesterday, not sure why.  We also have one of the best regarded hospitals in the state around the corner, and we hear ambulance sirens every 30 minutes or so.  In the before times, it was probably four a day.

the street i live on is one of the main acesses to the biggest universitary hospital in the state and to the main emergency hospital in the region. the ambulance traffic has been way off charts the last couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

4 hours ago, burndoc said:

Still lots of people in the grocery store still, but only a very few are NOT wearing a mask or bandana.  Some with gloves too

Still locked down in the UK and will be for a week or two I reckon, though it’s not really been announced yet. 

17 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

No med issues with crew so far?

Nope, just work issues.  The next well that we were leaving for tomorrow has been put on hold.  Off to the anchorage off of Louisiana we go.

2 hours ago, Trovão said:

the street i live on is one of the main acesses to the biggest universitary hospital in the state and to the main emergency hospital in the region. the ambulance traffic has been way off charts the last couple of weeks.

there were just fire trucks and ambulances driving through our neighborhood with lights flashing and sirens blaring. We heard them coming from miles away.   Neighbor who is a friend of ours called the cops to ask, WTF was up?  She was told there was a parade downtown, and they were parading around town, unfucking believable lunacy!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

there were just fire trucks and ambulances driving through our neighborhood with lights flashing and sirens blaring. We heard them coming from miles away.   Neighbor who is a friend of ours called the cops to ask, WTF was up?  She was told there was a parade downtown, and they were parading around town, unfucking believable lunacy!!

Maybe stupid can be fixed. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Maybe stupid can be fixed. :ph34r:

They do seem to be hellbent on killing themselves, I’d be happy to let them get on with it, apart from them overloading the system and infecting innocents. 

The hospital itself is any 60% occupancy so not that full.  Have been expecting our peak in PA for a week now. We have not overflowed out of the medical ICUs yet. We have a couple in the BICU /SICU that our on the surgery service for surgical reasons

1 hour ago, mad said:

Still locked down in the UK and will be for a week or two I reckon, though it’s not really been announced yet. 

I have a colleague there who says expecting more patients 

Ireland announced lockdown until May

Customers who have my work phone number still driving past the "Keep the fuck out" sign to park and lock their car next to the "No parking in Boatyard" sign and climbing two  flights of stairs past two - count 'em, TWO - signs to keep them out of the sparloft, to "just check in" .

Sigh.

1 hour ago, mad said:

They do seem to be hellbent on killing themselves, I’d be happy to let them get on with it, apart from them overloading the system and infecting innocents. 

Collateral damage is the military term.

Unfortunately Darwin doesn't have GPS guidance.

14 minutes ago, Nettles said:

Customers who have my work phone number still driving past the "Keep the fuck out" sign to park and lock their car next to the "No parking in Boatyard" sign and climbing two  flights of stairs past two - count 'em, TWO - signs to keep them out of the sparloft, to "just check in" .

Sigh.

The park near here got closed a week or so ago.

Now the municipality has put up "Local Traffic Only" signs on all the roads.

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Nope, just work issues.  The next well that we were leaving for tomorrow has been put on hold.  Off to the anchorage off of Louisiana we go.

I sailed thru those rigs one night in crap weather. ugh

2 hours ago, burndoc said:

The hospital itself is any 60% occupancy so not that full.  Have been expecting our peak in PA for a week now. We have not overflowed out of the medical ICUs yet. We have a couple in the BICU /SICU that our on the surgery service for surgical reasons

I'm curious to see if the emptying of jails and prisons will resulting an uptick in ER visits. While they have kept violent offenders in, there is a push to turn everyone loose. I'm praying that does not happen. 

WL

Why is it you can go to the festering cesspool that is walmart, full of people, buy fishing stuff or a bike tube, but the local fly or bike shop that would be lucky to have one or two customers is shut down?

9 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Why is it you can go to the festering cesspool that is walmart, full of people, buy fishing stuff or a bike tube, but the local fly or bike shop that would be lucky to have one or two customers is shut down?

I guess it's an essential business?  Local grocery store takes everyone's temperature,  before allowing them into the store....

58 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

I'm curious to see if the emptying of jails and prisons will resulting an uptick in ER visits. While they have kept violent offenders in, there is a push to turn everyone loose. I'm praying that does not happen.

Let the drug offenders out - that will cut the prison population by about 60%.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Let the drug offenders out - that will cut the prison population by about 60%.

They already have! Our local county jail has reduced it's population from 370 to just over 100. Those remaining are the worst of the worst.

They're also the ones that are left to be released if the push to get everybody out continues.

Watch the dark corners and your 6.

WL

9 hours ago, burndoc said:

I have a colleague there who says expecting more patients 

Ireland announced lockdown until May

It’s not over by a long shot.......personally, I think they’re being a little too optimistic, too early with the predictions.  Maybe that’s because they want a positive spin/outlook on it for feel good and political reasons?? A mistake in my mind, might as well be brutally honest and start the discussion of it being a month or 3 longer on restrictions. 

7 hours ago, Nettles said:

Sigh.

Lock the gate and doors??

SWMBO and I went hiking in the mountains yesterday.  Saw maybe 3 people total on the trail and everyone was very respectful to keep a good distance bubble as we passed on the trail.  11 miles on a beautiful spring day.  Absolutely glorious day to be outside in the fresh air.

However on the drive up and back, there were numerous areas where multiple groups of 20+ were gathering to go quad biking, dirt biking or razor ATV'ing and such.  They were all gathered in groups, drinking beer, no social distancing whatsoever.  Fucking Idiots!  And these will be the asshole rednecks I'll have to be near in the grocery store when I need to do a food run next week.  

9 hours ago, mad said:

It’s not over by a long shot.......personally, I think they’re being a little too optimistic, too early with the predictions.  Maybe that’s because they want a positive spin/outlook on it for feel good and political reasons?? A mistake in my mind, might as well be brutally honest and start the discussion of it being a month or 3 longer on restrictions. 

The problem with that brutal honesty is that is goes against human psychology.  If you tell them it will only be a few weeks, many will suck it up and at least attempt to abide by it knowing there is light at the end of a tolerable tunnel.  If you tell people they will be locked inside for 3+ months - 99.9% of them will say "FUCK THAT!" and ignore the order from day one.  

11 hours ago, mad said:

Friend of one of our daughters in Charleston is about to graduate Med school with a specialty in viruses.  They pulled him out of school to help all the health caregivers, and he said it won't be over until September, if that.

11 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

They already have! Our local county jail has reduced it's population from 370 to just over 100. Those remaining are the worst of the worst.

They're also the ones that are left to be released if the push to get everybody out continues.

Watch the dark corners and your 6.

WL

Leave them in and let Darwin take charge.

10 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Friend of one of our daughters in Charleston is about to graduate Med school with a specialty in viruses.  They pulled him out of school to help all the health caregivers, and he said it won't be over until September, if that.

Spanish flu lasted nearly 3 years.

Medical services are a quantum leap ahead of then but still...

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Schools are not graduating early because a fresh MD is a hinderance. NYU was going to and decided against it due to multiple reasons. As we say don't get sick in July. 

Students are pledged to start end of June in their training  programs in different parts of the country. All students medical, nursing, PT whatever have been pulled out of hospitals due to lack of PPEs. Students who go into infectious disease fellowships do three years of internal medicine first after school

37 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Not so...  Or possibly the Medical University of South Carolina is doing something the other 140 medical schools aren't.

Many of the medical schools at least the 141 allopathic schools and 50 or so osteopathic in the US are shut down because the school as a whole has been shut down.  There is a large problem right now with the M3 and M4 classes not being able to have patient encounters for their clerkships because of this. As for the pre-clinical stuff M1 and M2, their main concern right now if passing the USMLE Step 1, and this is already self-guided learning.  With that, for the class of 2020, they are probably in the electives regarding clerkships as they have already been matched to a residency to start this July.  And many of them, at least the 50 or so that I personly deal with are graduating on the set date without a ceremony - at least not now.   From there, if they were lucky, or hit it out of the park on the USMLE 1 they are going to go to their residency training of choice which depending on the field can be 3 to 6 years plus.

From what I understand Infectious Diseases is specialized and similar to Oncology it usually requires a fellowship; and this is after a residency in Internal Medicine with an ABIM board certification.

In counterpoint, it is not uncommon to graduate from medical school and not go into a residency program but instead go directly into research...  Far and very few, but not uncommon.  Looking down the barrel of a $300K in student loans....  yea I want that UCSF surgical residency spot.

42 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Not so... 

The details may have been misunderstood by me, when she told me, but the fact remains that a student about to graduate from somewhere, with specific training in this field, said that it won't end until September according to his people.....  And, I'm sure that's a best guess scenario, I would venture to guess...

That is the whole purpose of flattening the curve. It will extend the time people are infected. So yes people will still be getting infected over the summer since less were infected earlier. All those “grafts” do show a longer times but smaller peak. Hopefully decrease the death number since hospitals won’t be over whelmed. Seeing it first hand is very scary. People get bad quickly

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

The details may have been misunderstood by me, when she told me, but the fact remains that a student about to graduate from somewhere, with specific training in this field, said that it won't end until September according to his people.....  And, I'm sure that's a best guess scenario, I would venture to guess...

Billy...  I am not doubting your information.

With that, the norm for a medical student graduating from med school does not specialize in any one thing.   That is the reason for the Clerkships or as you may know them as "the rotations'." This is to introduce them to the specialties. There are nine required clerkships in Year 3 & 4; Family Medicine, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry and two electives where they are required to complete x-amount of weeks of elective clerkships focused on critical care or acute care (emergency medicine), and medicine or pediatric subspecialties.

This may vary by some schools, but this is pretty much the norm that has been set forth by the AAMC.

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I've read, but not verified ,  that in South Africa, the death rate has actually gone down because of covid-19 as more people are staying inside and not killing each other

Sure that’s not Chicago?

Here's something has hasn't changed where I live:

Low inventory of small, affordable homes that have just been renovated!

Listed my house April 6th and had 8 showings with 3 offers, 2 that net over ask, in 24 hours, during a pandemic...

16 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Listed my house April 6th and had 8 showings with 3 offers, 2 that net over ask, in 24 hours, during a pandemic...

You're leaving money on the table. 

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I've read, but not verified ,  that in South Africa, the death rate has actually gone down because of covid-19 as more people are staying inside and not killing each other

NZ has had 4 deaths due to the Corona Virus.

In the same time we have had 15 - 20 less deaths on the road than the statistical average since the lockdown started.

But there is still a lot of sick people that may still die, basically,  this is the wrong part of the curve to make the assessment that Corona Virus is saving lives.

9 Months time could show a different statistic though, in more ways than one...

8 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I would not be at all surprised.  Except for Domestic Violence the crime rate in this part of the world is significantly down according to a copper mate of mine who I saw yesterday.

15 hours ago, burndoc said:

Remember the flu yearly kills 22-30k in the US a year. Get your shot every year

Can't do that.  It's been known to cause a recurrence in the Guillian-Barre Syndrome that I had 18 years ago......

yes. Crazy disease. I would help my neuro colleagues with trachs and feeding tubes and see them two months later for removal basically normal

5 minutes ago, burndoc said:

yes. Crazy disease. I would help my neuro colleagues with trachs and feeding tubes and see them two months later for removal basically normal

I was extremely fortunate, in that my GP suspected immediately what it was, and when it was confirmed by blood test, I had plasma Pheresis, and then IVIG, and recovered fully, except that I still have neuropathic numbness and pain in both feet, controlled with small doses of Oxycodone.  Last time we were in Europe on a Star Clipper small sailing cruise ship, we met a woman from Toronto who had it when she was 8 months pregnant, and she had to be intubated, on a respirator, and was numb up to her neck, but she recovered with no lingering symptoms whatsoever....

18 hours ago, Liquid said:

Yeah, my cousin in NC is a realtor and she said she's showing 4-5 houses a day.

what location?  I have same stories from the more isolated; a friend in Vermont and my aforementioned business partner on the Olympic Peninsula, but here in suburbia people are pulling 10k$ off asking prices per week. 

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

what location?  I have same stories from the more isolated; a friend in Vermont and my aforementioned business partner on the Olympic Peninsula, but here in suburbia people are pulling 10k$ off asking prices per week. 

In our area there have been some homes on the market for 90 plus because they are way overpriced...  but the ones that are priced right are selling within 30 days..   

The issue we have right now is a lot of reconstruction from the fire that ripped through here in 2017/2018. Those that have rebuilt have built some very nice custom homes in what are otherwise tract home neighborhoods along with some "spec homes" that were built.  it is throwing to comps off.

55 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

In our area there have been some homes on the market for 90 plus because they are way overpriced...  but the ones that are priced right are selling within 30 days..   

The issue we have right now is a lot of reconstruction from the fire that ripped through here in 2017/2018. Those that have rebuilt have built some very nice custom homes in what are otherwise tract home neighborhoods along with some "spec homes" that were built.  it is throwing to comps off.

I remember when Zillow came out around 20 years ago, when I had been a RE broker for nearly 30 years.   In our rural SE CT area, their valuations were all over the map, many not close to reality. Now, they have a lot more data points and they are much better...

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

I remember when Zillow came out around 20 years ago, when I had been a RE broker for nearly 30 years.   In our rural SE CT area, their valuations were all over the map, many not close to reality. Now, they have a lot more data points and they are much better...

They also buy and hold thousands and thousands of properties, which gives them even more data but makes their credibility far more suspect.

Joggers.  I see so many from my isolated workplace, who don't distance themselves from the walkers, or simply find streets that aren't crowded with people walking.

And idiots on the beach playing volleyball.  2-4 people, sure, that could be a household.  But 8-10?  Come on. 

I'm very curious to see if there's a spike two weeks after Easter weekend. 

13 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Joggers.  I see so many from my isolated workplace, who don't distance themselves from the walkers, or simply find streets that aren't crowded with people walking.

And idiots on the beach playing volleyball.  2-4 people, sure, that could be a household.  But 8-10?  Come on. 

Dang, ya just don't see many volleyball jokes these days.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:48 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

They also buy and hold thousands and thousands of properties, which gives them even more data but makes their credibility far more suspect.

All the more reason to use anything but Zillow.  House down the street with the same floor plan in dire need of work sold for $110K above what Zillow has our home valued at, and this was three months ago so the lag should be corrected.

With realator.com you can at least see what has sold, and what are the real listings for the area. 

14 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

More joggers and cyclists than usual.  Maybe it's spring fever?