Restarting America Means People Will Die. So When Should We Do It?

1 minute ago, Hatin' life said:

What if you work for yourself, are the sole holder of stock, and catch the Covid and die?  Do we still cut the head off?

Yes. And a wooden stake through the heart.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're a smart guy. You're obviously aware that New Zealand is a suburb of Bondi, just round the corner from Random's joint in Queensland.  BJ can just yell over the fence at him.  Yes, the USA i

As much as I agree with the concept, I don't think it's possible to have a rational national discussion.  I don't think there's an appetite for a rational discussion on this board, let alone the great

Of course what I think has not bearing.  But the example was raised and I am free to render my opinion--if Bus Driver didn't want a reaction, he wouldn't have posted that.   I actually feel sorry for

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

What if you work for yourself, are the sole holder of stock, and catch the Covid and die?  Do we still cut the head off?

Only if handled with care. I’ve pledged my brain to Dr. Froederick Frankenstein. That’s Fr-ah-nkenstein. 

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Exactly stay the fuck home or Nazi boot to the head or even better send them to a nursing home! 

Not at all.  I encourage you and Mikwof and like-minded people to go to restaurants together and give each other hugs. 

You should read the article.  It's fascinating. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Yes. And a wooden stake through the heart.

I might suggest a firing as well to solidify the witch hunt.

I don't think figuring out if they float first is worth the effort.  Maybe with a standard church, or a certified small rock it could be determined.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:56 PM, SloopJonB said:

I keep thinking back to Jim Jeffries prior to the '16 election.

He said about Trump - "I have to admit there's a little bit of me... a little bit that's saying 'Fuck it, let's do it - let's see how crazy shit can get'".

I don't think he actually meant it to happen though. :D

Unh...

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Only if handled with care. I’ve pledged my brain to Dr. Froederick Frankenstein. That’s Fr-ah-nkenstein. 

It will be stored in a jar with your name on it......  Abby Normal.  :lol:

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That is a personal responsibility position.  Lets get business going, and protect business from lawsuits so that they can get up and running, while giving business a strong motivation for not putting people at risk. If they can't do it to their satisfaction, keep the doors closed. If they take risks like, for example, holding office staff meetings with people not following CDC guidelines on things like social distancing and mask wearing, and they kill someone because of it, too bad, so sad. 

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility.  I think that principle should be the primary driver of how we craft the nation's laws and policies.  We should be able to mostly rely on everyone to do the right thing, both for themselves as well as for the greater good of society at large.  

However, I have come to the conclusion that "personal responsibility" is mostly dead or dying all over the developed world, and in particular in the US.  We have become a bunch of narcissistic, self-absorbed, self-centered cunts IMHO.  There is no concern for the people around them - and it's evadent from people yacking on their cell phones at high volume in a restaurant in a supermarket checkout line, to rude drivers, to you name it.  It's been glaring to me living overseas because everytime I came home, it had exponentially increased whereas living here and seeing it everyday could be lost in the "slow frog boil" where it happens so gradually you might not notice it.  I have some theories on how and why we are where we are with this sort of behavior in our society, but that's a different thread for another occasion......

And so I see this with The Sickness and people's behavior.  It's "fuck everyone else" as long as they can go out and get their Taco Bell or go to Walmart or Costco or hang out and do what they please.  Social distancing.....??  That's for the other slobs.  SWMBO and I were out in the Mountains hiking and staying the fuck away from people.  But there were all sorts of people gathered in groups of 10 or more all over just having a laugh.  Fuck them, I hope they all die a painful death! 

So to think that you can rely on someone's good behavior and social consciousness to act correctly is foolhardy as a national policy.  And it crosses all demographic, economic and party lines.  And the issue is, CDC "guidelines" don't mean jack shit to people without an enforcement mechanism and the weight of law behind it.  They should have been Congressionally passed rules codifed into the US code with the Po-Leece allowed to ticket and arrest offenders.  Make a few high profile examples out of folks all over and you'll get compliance.  Do the same with businesses who don't follow the law on how to operate in this new environment.  We HAVE to get business reopened ASAP, and we can do it smartly.  But relying on "personal responsibility" is not going to work.  I'm more of a stick guy when it comes to carrots and sticks.  I think we've passed the point where carrots work much anymore.  Maybe it would work better to have Beer and sticks.  

1 hour ago, Female Canine Firestorm said:

However, I have come to the conclusion that "personal responsibility" is mostly dead or dying all over the developed world, and in particular in the US.  We have become a bunch of narcissistic, self-absorbed, self-centered cunts IMHO.  There is no concern for the people around them - and it's evadent from people yacking on their cell phones at high volume in a restaurant in a supermarket checkout line, to rude drivers, to you name it.

Anti-vaxxers.

FKT

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hrothgar said:

That's probably the stupidest thing you've ever written on this forum (and I'm sure there has been a lot of stupid shit come out of your mouth).

Even though its clearly a sarcastic comment, its typical Lefty shit to want to control the actions of others.  If Lefties cared so much about human life, they would not support abortion rights.  Now all of the sudden its a pandemic and we care about every individual life?  What a bunch of crap.

You guys are all fuckwads.

Hroth

Your position on Industrial effluent teratogens?

11 hours ago, hrothgar said:

If Lefties cared so much about human life, they would not support abortion rights. 

And this well may be the stupidest thing YOU have said on the forums. Though maybe not - though you don't have many posts in PA, the well of stupidity in them runs deep.

Meanwhile, explain the "Pro Life" people who are ready to toss Granny out on an ice floe to die so they can go to Applebees again.

6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

And this well may be the stupidest thing YOU have said on the forums. Though maybe not - though you don't have many posts in PA, the well of stupidity in them runs deep.

Meanwhile, explain the "Pro Life" people who are ready to toss Granny out on an ice floe to die so they can go to Applebees again.

He's got his. Fuck Granny.

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
15 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

He's got his. Fuck Granny.

One of the consistent themes I'm seeing here even from the more articulate right wingers is the utter inability to empathize with anyone else, or look at the world from anyone else's view and see there may be a problem with your actions and ideas.

These guys can't see a problem with excessive police violence against black Americans because they themselves have never and will never experience it, or that fear. It's not a problem if they just "obey with the law" and "comply with the police" because for them, as white men, this actually works. You can not convince them otherwise because they will not step out of their shoes and into those of someone without their same level of privilege.

They can be bothered to stay home or wear a mask because they don't see themselves as a risk group. And they don't think for a second about their own parents and loved ones, never mind the rest of us with vulnerable family members.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:
22 hours ago, Rok Dog said:
On 5/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, B.J. Porter said:

You didn’t answer the question.

Where is it ok for me to domicile and why?

Personally I would do whatever possible to minimize my tax burden.   But you are skirting the issue.

What are you talking about? What am I skirting, exactly?

The only one "skirting" the issue is YOU. You make libelous accusations about me, and when pressed you can not back it up. Yet you continue to slime me.

1) You claimed I said people should "pay more" or some such shit, but when pressed for WHEN I said it with a citation...crickets.

2) When I asked you what state WOULD be appropriate and not hypocritical in your opinion, you dodge the question.

You have three direct questions you have failed to answer, highlighted in bold.

You need to answer them with a meaningful answer, or apologize to me and STFU about this forever.

No alt-Doggie styling this. Answer, or you LOSE.

crickets.gif

Well? Do you concede that your assertion was bullshit?

I'm guessing the odds my my getting an actual reply to this are only slightly higher than me getting that apology for being falsely smeared.

Oh well, Trumpsters. It's what you get for interacting with them.

7 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

One of the consistent themes I'm seeing here even from the more articulate right wingers is the utter inability to empathize with anyone else, or look at the world from anyone else's view and see there may be a problem with your actions and ideas.

These guys can't see a problem with excessive police violence against black Americans because they themselves have never and will never experience it, or that fear. It's not a problem if they just "obey with the law" and "comply with the police" because for them, as white men, this actually works. You can not convince them otherwise because they will not step out of their shoes and into those of someone without their same level of privilege.

Got cheese for those whines? How about reputable citations? Anecdote Anarchy won't cut it. No Basement.com essayists, thanks.

The bolded above is the far leftists' creed. It fits their marching narrative so thinking stops. Mindset hardens to concrete. No further thought needed. But a quarantine challenge? Imagine that those aren't true for the vast majority of whites. The two bolded sections are really just one, so can you stretch that boxed up thinking to include any other reasonable themes?

Are there any other measures beyond this trope which I think is baseless for the majority?

How do you assay "utter inability to empathize?"

I'll wait ...

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

Got cheese for those whines? How about reputable citations? Anecdote Anarchy won't cut it. No Basement.com essayists, thanks.

The bolded above is the far leftists' creed. It fits their marching narrative so thinking stops. Mindset hardens to concrete. No further thought needed. But a quarantine challenge? Imagine that those aren't true for the vast majority of whites. The two bolded sections are really just one, so can you stretch that boxed up thinking to include any other reasonable themes?

Are there any other measures beyond this trope which I think is baseless for the majority?

I'll wait ...

The "Fuck you, I got mine" attitude is a pretty good assay imho. 

Assigning a 'creed' to as disparate a group as 'leftists' is another.  So is the use of labels. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't think anyone I talk to is ready to toss Granny on an ice floe.  They do think Granny should be careful and self-isolate and let the rest of us get on with our lives.  Lefties think everyone has value--except the unborn--who are perhaps the most helpless of all.

Hroth

• Like 1
1 minute ago, hrothgar said:

I don't think anyone I talk to is ready to toss Granny on an ice floe.  They do think Granny should be careful and self-isolate and let the rest of us get on with our lives.  Lefties think everyone has value--except the unborn--who are perhaps the most helpless of all.

Hroth

More helpless than a newborn? Asking for a leftie friend.

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

More helpless than a newborn? Asking for a leftie friend.

I would argue that the unborn are more helpless than newborns because they have no rights in this country.  They can be aborted up until near birth in some states.  Its a moral travesty.  Society does everything it can to protect newborns.  Less so to protect the unborn.

Hroth

Just now, hrothgar said:

I would argue that the unborn are more helpless than newborns because they have no rights in this country.  They can be aborted up until near birth in some states.  Its a moral travesty.  Society does everything it can to protect newborns.  Less so to protect the unborn.

Hroth

And I would argue that your statement they can be aborted until near birth is pure bullshit. Every sperm is sacred shit.  What is a moral travesty is what happens to children after they are born but roll with what you got, it makes you a good Christian Republican.

19 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

The "Fuck you, I got mine" attitude is a pretty good assay imho. 

Assigning a 'creed' to as disparate a group as 'leftists' is another.  So is the use of labels. 

irony and worse

5 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

And I would argue that your statement they can be aborted until near birth is pure bullshit. Every sperm is sacred shit.  What is a moral travesty is what happens to children after they are born but roll with what you got, it makes you a good Christian Republican.

See this...

https://www.businessinsider.com/latest-point-in-pregnancy-you-can-get-abortion-in-50-states-2019-5

And yes, for some children, what happens to them is a moral travesty.

Hroth

2 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

“Bitches be vessels for birthing” is straight from the dictator playbook. Well done, little campaigner for fascism.

Your are an angry person.  I feel sorry for you.

Hroth

6 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

You champion the politics of someone more flawed and broken than me, fool.

You seem pretty flawed and broken from my perspective.  Are you still living in your mom's basement wishing you had never been born?

Hroth

20 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

See this...

https://www.businessinsider.com/latest-point-in-pregnancy-you-can-get-abortion-in-50-states-2019-5

And yes, for some children, what happens to them is a moral travesty.

Hroth

Did you take the time to read your link? I don't think it means what you think it does and certainly doesn't support your earlier assertion that they can be aborted until near birth.  But enjoy your fixed and superior ideas as well as using your broad brush to paint those you think are using a broad brush.  Oh, I forgot to use purple earlier when I said good Christian Republican not that it matters to you.

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Did you take the time to read your link? I don't think it means what you think it does and certainly doesn't support your earlier assertion that they can be aborted until near birth.  But enjoy your fixed and superior ideas as well as using your broad brush to paint those you think are using a broad brush.  Oh, I forgot to use purple earlier when I said good Christian Republican not that it matters to you.

Yeah, I did read the link.  That fact that some states allow abortion up to the point of "viability" means that abortions are legal up to the point when a fetus could survive outside the womb--which is near birth.  Not all states, of course, but several.

What makes you think I'm a Christian anyway?  Maybe my motivation for protecting rights of the unborn is different and personal.  Every consider that?  You'd rather pigeonhole people into your worldview based on your misconceptions of reality.

Hroth

1 minute ago, hrothgar said:

Yeah, I did read the link.  That fact that some states allow abortion up to the point of "viability" means that abortions are legal up to the point when a fetus could survive outside the womb--which is near birth.  Not all states, of course, but several.

What makes you think I'm a Christian anyway?  Maybe my motivation for protecting rights of the unborn is different and personal.  Every consider that?  You'd rather pigeonhole people into your worldview based on your misconceptions of reality.

Hroth

I am just trying out that big brush you are using - and again it doesn't support what you have claimed and in any case actual doctors are involved with cases that have approached viability and are determined upon medical decisions, not "oh, fuck it I changed my mind". 

I always appreciate that it's the old guys who want to dictate to young women how they can self determine.  Father Knows Best, right? Now let's segue back to the irony of people claiming the government doesn't have the right to restrict their freedom while also restricting their freedom. I know, it's a conundrum.

20 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I am just trying out that big brush you are using - and again it doesn't support what you have claimed and in any case actual doctors are involved with cases that have approached viability and are determined upon medical decisions, not "oh, fuck it I changed my mind". 

I always appreciate that it's the old guys who want to dictate to young women how they can self determine.  Father Knows Best, right? Now let's segue back to the irony of people claiming the government doesn't have the right to restrict their freedom while also restricting their freedom. I know, it's a conundrum.

An old girlfriend has an older sister who found out late in her pregnancy of the profound birth defects of her unborn child.  After much consultation, she elected to terminate her pregnancy.  It was a difficult decision and not made lightly.

Apparently, one of their neighbors, who stands firmly in the "pro-birth" camp, found out and commented on how she murdered an innocent child.  My girlfriend's father asked if they had been forced to carry to term a child that would never develop and need 24 hour care for the short time this child would live, could they send the bill to her.  I am told she sputtered and stammered, then walked away.

There is no indignation that can compete with Righteous Indignation.  And perhaps this would be an appropriate moment to point out that bringing up abortion is a classic approach approved by D. Flect, Duck and Dodge. 

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

There is no indignation that can compete with Righteous Indignation.  And perhaps this would be an appropriate moment to point out that bringing up abortion is a classic approach approved by D. Flect, Duck and Dodge. 

What am I deflecting, ducking, or dodging?

Hroth

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

An old girlfriend has an older sister who found out late in her pregnancy of the profound birth defects of her unborn child.  After much consultation, she elected to terminate her pregnancy.  It was a difficult decision and not made lightly.

Apparently, one of their neighbors, who stands firmly in the "pro-birth" camp, found out and commented on how she murdered an innocent child.  My girlfriend's father asked if they had been forced to carry to term a child that would never develop and need 24 hour care for the short time this child would live, could they send the bill to her.  I am told she sputtered and stammered, then walked away.

Yep.  That was murder.  Too bad your old girlfriends older sister wasn't sterilized before she had sex and/or decided she wanted a child.  Sounds too like the money issue was a cop out and might be the first time I've heard the Lefties use the money excuse for a reason not to do something--like raise a child to the best of their ability.

Hroth

• Downvote 4
Just now, hrothgar said:

Yep.  That was murder.  Too bad your old girlfriends older sister wasn't sterilized before she had sex and/or decided she wanted a child.  Sounds too like the money issue was a cop out and might be the first time I've heard the Lefties use the money excuse for a reason not to do something--like raise a child to the best of their ability.

Hroth

Damn dude - who made you arbiter of everything?   That's a pretty f*cked up perspective, and you oughta punch yourself in the face for typing that.  You aren't her, you aren't part of that decision, and what you think has no bearing whatsoever.  

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It’s quite telling what the self described “righties” find hateful, angry and ignorant.

And what is that?  You have labeled me a "righty."  I have never described myself as such.  Presumptive ass.

Hroth

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Damn dude - who made you arbiter of everything?   That's a pretty f*cked up perspective, and you oughta punch yourself in the face for typing that.  You aren't her, you aren't part of that decision, and what you think has no bearing whatsoever.  

Of course what I think has not bearing.  But the example was raised and I am free to render my opinion--if Bus Driver didn't want a reaction, he wouldn't have posted that.   I actually feel sorry for the woman who had to make that decision. I hope, though, that she is scarred for life for killing an innocent child just because she didn't want to bear the burden of bearing a 'not normal' child.

Hroth

• Downvote 5
15 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

What am I deflecting, ducking, or dodging?

Hroth

Don’t like the topic? “Libs like to kill babies!” It’s the Reich’s go-to

That's not a pro life position, it's a pro birth position.  Once they're born, fuck em, more grist for the grinder.  Get em back to work now, the lazy bastards. 

Abortion should be easier to get and in less demand. The death penalty should be easier to get as well, and used more often. In between those extremes, if we treated the masses as something other than assets for billionaires to use for their further enrichment, perhaps there would be less demand for abortion.  But that would mean shifting away from our precious new service economy and getting back to actually doing/making things other than meals and products for the Farnsworths. 

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

Don’t like the topic? “Libs like to kill babies!” It’s the Reich’s go-to

Fine, lets talk about Restarting America!

Hopefully my contractor will be here this week to finish a project that has been on hold for 7 weeks since the shutdown!  Barring a tragic accident, I don't think he will die on the job!  Or catch COVID.

Start your engines America!  Time to get back to work!

Hroth

5 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Of course what I think has not bearing.  But the example was raised and I am free to render my opinion--if Bus Driver didn't want a reaction, he wouldn't have posted that.   I actually feel sorry for the woman who had to make that decision. I hope, though, that she is scarred for life for killing an innocent child just because she didn't want to bear the burden of bearing a 'not normal' child.

Hroth

You assume an awful lot in your attempts to justify being a complete and utter fuckhead.   How old are you?  Are you a parent?  Ya know what, never mind - I really don't want to know, I'd be even more angry if you're spouting shit like that and you ARE a parent. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You assume an awful lot in your attempts to justify being a complete and utter fuckhead.   How old are you?  Are you a parent?  Ya know what, never mind - I really don't want to know, I'd be even more angry if you're spouting shit like that and you ARE a parent. 

And who made you the arbiter of all things good and evil?

And yes, I am a parent of two very successful children.  One in college, one headed there in the fall.  They won't have to pay a dime either because I actually worked my ass off to save for their college.

Hopefully your head will now explode you sanctimonious fuck.

Hroth

7 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Fine, lets talk about Restarting America!

Hopefully my contractor will be here this week to finish a project that has been on hold for 7 weeks since the shutdown!  Barring a tragic accident, I don't think he will die on the job!  Or catch COVID.

Start your engines America!  Time to get back to work!

Hroth

Have you been tested in the last 2 weeks?  Has your contractor?  So you're guessing that neither of you will catch COVID 19.

2 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Have you been tested in the last 2 weeks?  Has your contractor?  So you're guessing that neither of you will catch COVID 19.

That's a fair question.    No, I haven't, but I have been isolating for 7 weeks now with no symptoms.  I suppose I could be asymptomatic but doubt it.  Don't know about the contractor but when we interact, we will both have masks on and will not stand closer than 6 feet--socially distant, right?

I like my odds of coming out of this unscathed.  So should most people if they take reasonable precautions.

Hroth

40 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  Of course, you may not be aware of what is involved with anencephaly.

Facts about Anencephaly

Here's the really fun part, especially for heartless folks like you - "Almost all babies born with anencephaly will die shortly after birth."  You seem to feel her sister (and the husband) have some sort of penalty they must pay for wanting to start a family.

48 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

I think it's kind of sad that the internet is so awful that this comment isn't an automatic winner. But this wins all the parts of the internet that I check.

FUCK YOU HROTH. 

• Like 3
Just now, Dr. Blue Crab said:

I think it's kind of sad that the internet is so awful that this comment isn't an automatic winner. But this wins all the parts of the internet that I check.

FUCK YOU HROTH. 

Fuck you too!

Hroth

6 hours ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

I'll wait ...

From your words.

The things you say, whether it's a willingness to deny healthcare to those to scorn as weak to your inability to recognize that your experience is different from others in the world, like your notion that your parent teaching you to "respect authority" has anything to do with what black parents have to tell their kids.

You leave a lot of clues that make it a pretty straight conclusion that you view the world from your own insular lens and have little interest in look at it through anyone else's.

6 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Typical "Pro-life" liar who is willing to cull the weak, old, and sick so he won't be inconvenienced, it seems.

2 hours ago, hrothgar said:

And what is that?  You have labeled me a "righty."  I have never described myself as such.  Presumptive ass.

Hroth

Your words do.

Miltiant "pro life," Trump supporting, right wing supporting...

You don't have to write it on your name tag when you shout it from the rooftops.

4 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

show us your tits and then you can talk.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Ah well, she may be "scarred for life" You on the other hand may burn for eternity.

Isn't that hilarious?

When you're lying in pain on your deathbed and start to have doubt about heaven and hell and you think back on all the cruel and hateful things you've said and done.

With that picture of gentle Jesus hanging on the wall and nothing else to look at.

Remember your posts.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Ah well, she may be "scarred for life" You on the other hand may burn for eternity.

Isn't that hilarious?

When you're lying in pain on your deathbed and start to have doubt about heaven and hell and you think back on all the cruel and hateful things you've said and done.

With that picture of gentle Jesus hanging on the wall and nothing else to look at.

Remember your posts.

Jesus isn't a gentile.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease specialist, said that while containment is moving in the right direction, the virus is not under control.

Easing restrictions too quickly will lead to “some suffering and death that could be avoided,” he warned, adding that it could also paradoxically set back attempts to recover the economy.

“It would almost run the clock back rather than going forward,” said Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “That is my major concern.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/12/coronavirus-fauci-issues-stark-warning-disease-odds-trump/3117983001/

• Like 1

Projected deaths just got bumped up another 10k - 147k.  At the rate that is happening (anyone remember 60K? I mean it wasn't that long ago) I expect that 147 will be looked back as the good ole days.

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

Projected deaths just got bumped up another 10k - 147k.  At the rate that is happening (anyone remember 60K? I mean it wasn't that long ago) I expect that 147 will be looked back as the good ole days.

Dr. Fauci's testimony to the Senate was on the TV news tonite. He pissed off Sen (Dr) Rand Paul, whose hair was looking a little unmoussed, who claimed that plenty of scientists did NOT think that it was too early to open up America, and there would NOT be an upsurge in cases & deaths. Dr Fauci rather blandly said, "I'd like to know more about the scientific basis for this kind of projection" which pissed Rand off even more. Rand looked like he's not used to being contradicted on his bullshit.

- DSK

I didn't see the video but read a summary - easy to see why Trump tried to prevent Fauci from appearing - and if Trump thought Rand Paul could handle it Trump is even dumber than I thought (were are getting into really weird territory there).  I think that going to Congress as an R one is required to check their brain at the door.

3 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I didn't see the video but read a summary - easy to see why Trump tried to prevent Fauci from appearing - and if Trump thought Rand Paul could handle it Trump is even dumber than I thought (were are getting into really weird territory there).  I think that going to Congress as an R one is required to check their brain at the door.

More important, you can see why Fauci was not allowed into the House, where the questions were less under control.

• Like 1
Just now, B.J. Porter said:

More important, you can see why Fauci was not allowed into the House, where the questions were less under control.

IIRC Fauci was tops in his class at Cornell? A 40 year distinguished career having served through a bunch of presidents and he is going to lie to Congress? This is the crisis he has been preparing for all his life and the GOP doesn't have anything to challenge him.  Of course FOX will spin it way differently.

5 minutes ago, d'ranger said:
15 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

IIRC Fauci was tops in his class at Cornell? A 40 year distinguished career having served through a bunch of presidents and he is going to lie to Congress? This is the crisis he has been preparing for all his life and the GOP doesn't have anything to challenge him.  Of course FOX will spin it way differently.

No wonder he made a retired ophthalmologist who had to create is own certifying board look stupid.

7 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Oh FFS!!!  :angry:

6 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

The things you say, whether it's a willingness to deny healthcare to those to scorn as weak to your inability to recognize that your experience is different from others in the world, like your notion that your parent teaching you to "respect authority" has anything to do with what black parents have to tell their kids.

I find it more than a bit amusing that YOU of all people purport to know what a black parent has to tell their kids while hanging out in NZ after sailing half the world on a 50 ft yacht for the past 8 years or so.  Where did you come by this recent first hand experience to the point where you felt comfy enough to lecture the rest of us about it???  

2 minutes ago, Female Canine Firestorm said:

I find it more than a bit amusing that YOU of all people purport to know what a black parent has to tell their kids while hanging out in NZ after sailing half the world on a 50 ft yacht for the past 8 years or so.  Where did you come by this recent first hand experience to the point where you felt comfy enough to lecture the rest of us about it???  

Awwww, you're just jealous that you can't hide out down here too.

Might be a looong time before you can get in. If BJ has half a brain, he won't be in any hurry to leave NZ (and yeah family in the USA complicates that, for sure).

FKT

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Might be a looong time before you can get in. If BJ has half a brain, he won't be in any hurry to leave NZ (and yeah family in the USA complicates that, for sure).

FKT

I'm perfectly happy where I am, thanks.  But again, I find it more than a bit amusing to see an elitist white-privilege laden white boy lecture other elitist white-privilege laden white boys about what black parents teach their children.  

And I distinctly remember having the "talk" with my father when I got my DL about respecting authority.  And it likely went almost verbatim along the lines of what a black parent teaches (or should teach) their teenage son.  He said: "if you are stopped by the Po-Leece, don't mouth off to them, do what they say, obey their orders, don't make any sudden moves, keep your hands in sight, say yes, sir, no sir, blah blah blah".  He said some cops are just mean and that even a little mouthing off could get your nose cracked with a nightstick or the butt of a gun or worse.  Anything that makes you look like a threat to them will more than likely get you shot.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I'd love to stay here for a while, I have little interest in returning to the U.S. right now.

It could get awkward if someone buys the boat out from under us, but that seems unlikely as long as the borders are closed.

So we'll see.

19 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I'd love to stay here for a while, I have little interest in returning to the U.S. right now.

It could get awkward if someone buys the boat out from under us, but that seems unlikely as long as the borders are closed.

So we'll see.

I understand that Jacinta is easing the restrictions so, if you can't leave, see if you can go touring. I'd love to return to the South Island myself, maybe one of these days.

FKT

Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I understand that Jacinta is easing the restrictions so, if you can't leave, see if you can go touring. I'd love to return to the South Island myself, maybe one of these days.

FKT

In theory we could sail there tomorrow.

In practice, we're trying to sell the boat and our visas are only good until September.  And its getting cold down there.

The risk still is what happens of the SoPac doesn't open by August. Without an extension again things get dicey.

If, by some set of improbable circumstances were permitted to stay through next summer South Island sounds delightful.

36 minutes ago, Female Canine Firestorm said:

And I distinctly remember having the "talk" with my father when I got my DL about respecting authority.  And it likely went almost verbatim along the lines of what a black parent teaches (or should teach) their teenage son.  He said: "if you are stopped by the Po-Leece, don't mouth off to them, do what they say, obey their orders, don't make any sudden moves, keep your hands in sight, say yes, sir, no sir, blah blah blah".  He said some cops are just mean and that even a little mouthing off could get your nose cracked with a nightstick or the butt of a gun or worse.  Anything that makes you look like a threat to them will more than likely get you shot. 

I didn't but this is Australia and it was nearly 50 years ago I got a licence. The cops most certainly weren't reluctant to give a smart-arse a boot up the arse or the old phone book treatment but that was relatively rare and usually well deserved.

FKT

Just now, B.J. Porter said:

In theory we could sail there tomorrow.

In practice, we're trying to sell the boat and our visas are only good until September.  And its getting cold down there.

The risk still is what happens of the SoPac doesn't open by August. Without an extension again things get dicey.

If, by some set of improbable circumstances were permitted to stay through next summer South Island sounds delightful.

Yeah I wouldn't be going there ATM. It's getting cooler here and more annoying for me, the days are getting a lot shorter. Normally I'm about ready to bail to Sydney any time now, spend the winter solstice up there. This year - who knows. I've a ton of work stacked up waiting in the labs and it'll just have to wait a bit longer.

OTOH I recently bought 15 big ex-fish farm floats with some thought of building a big floating dock/barge to put in the bay. Until that happens I might stand them all on end and create Floathenge for a midwinter solstice party. My project list is shrinking. Probably time to haul out and do some upgrades to the boat.

FKT

1 hour ago, Female Canine Firestorm said:
9 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Oh FFS!!!

Her sister was so excited at the prospect of being a Mom.  They'd bought the nursery furniture and begun the process of preparing to welcome into their life this wonderful baby.  Then, the news.  Their world crashed and burned.  She was devastated.  The decision did not come easily.

Hroth is a pathetic and small man for taking a pot shot like that and not having the sack to say "Whoops.  Sorry."

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah I wouldn't be going there ATM. It's getting cooler here and more annoying for me, the days are getting a lot shorter. Normally I'm about ready to bail to Sydney any time now, spend the winter solstice up there. This year - who knows. I've a ton of work stacked up waiting in the labs and it'll just have to wait a bit longer.

OTOH I recently bought 15 big ex-fish farm floats with some thought of building a big floating dock/barge to put in the bay. Until that happens I might stand them all on end and create Floathenge for a midwinter solstice party. My project list is shrinking. Probably time to haul out and do some upgrades to the boat.

FKT

Our big exciting acknowledgement to winter was buying a desiccant style dehumidifier a few weeks back. Makes a big difference. With people living, breathing and cooking on the boat in the cold weather it's done a bangup job eliminating all the condensation. Which is particularly excellent on the window frame right over our heads. Haven't been woken up by cold drips in weeks.

Our current plan is to stay up in Northland for the time being. We don't want to go south from here, lest we have to deal with fanworm haulouts and hassles. We've got a slip through the winter, at least until the visas run out.

48 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Her sister was so excited at the prospect of being a Mom.  They'd bought the nursery furniture and begun the process of preparing to welcome into their life this wonderful baby.  Then, the news.  Their world crashed and burned.  She was devastated.  The decision did not come easily.

Hroth is a pathetic and small man for taking a pot shot like that and not having the sack to say "Whoops.  Sorry."

Agreed.  I would have likely made the exact same call as the sister.  Heart-rending to do, but the right thing in the end.  Hroth's talk of "murder" is beyond disgusting.  I think one of the biggest travesties we visit on children is to commit them to a life of misery, pain and suffering.  There has to be a balance between life and quality of life.  I don't think one is more sacred than the other.  If the balance is off, then something has to give.  Same with assisted suicide.  I think that should absolutely be an option for those who desire it when their QOL has gone to shit.  I see nothing wrong with checking out at that point.  I would personally rather a child not be born/aborted than be born into a guaranteed life of poverty, abuse, neglect, and misery.