Jump to content

A sad story - the victims in NY City


Recommended Posts

This is a very moving and sad story on the BBC. A paramedic, doing a 16 hour double shift (due to the volume of calls and 20% of his co-workers being sick).

He attends fatal 12 cardiac arrests where the victim was coughing, had fever etc. in a few days leading up to death. This is one guy, on one shift.

The deaths were not counted as covid-19 because none of the victims had been tested.

The trauma this guy, and so many others are probably experiencing must be as bad as wartime. Maybe worse in some ways because you can't shot back at this virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 8:11 PM, Miffy said:

The daily body count exceeds the worst combat daily death toll during the most intense periods of the US war in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

It also exceeds the average daily death toll for US soldiers due to combat during the second world war. In NY alone. By a factor of two.

Yes, you read that right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dory Dude and his drawer full of socks like Mrs Octopus will be along soon to tell you that the seasonal flu kills far more.

This virus is horrifying. It is the saddest time in most of our life time. China must be made to pay for what they have done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to read this. The virus killed her, but not in the usual way. 
 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/nyregion/new-york-city-doctor-suicide-coronavirus.html

Excerpt -

A top emergency room doctor at a Manhattan hospital that treated many coronavirus patients died by suicide on Sunday, her father and the police said.

Dr. Lorna M. Breen, the medical director of the emergency department at NewYork-Presbyterian Allen Hospital, died in Charlottesville, Va., where she was staying with family, her father said in an interview.

Tyler Hawn, a spokesman for the Charlottesville Police Department, said in an email that officers on Sunday responded to a call seeking medical assistance.

“The victim was taken to U.V.A. Hospital for treatment, but later succumbed to self-inflicted injuries,” Mr. Hawn said.

Dr. Breen’s father, Dr. Philip C. Breen, said she had described devastating scenes of the toll the coronavirus took on patients.

“She tried to do her job, and it killed her,” he said.

The elder Dr. Breen said his daughter had contracted the coronavirus but had gone back to work after recuperating for about a week and a half. The hospital sent her home again, before her family intervened to bring her to Charlottesville, he said.

Dr. Breen, 49, did not have a history of mental illness, her father said. But he said that when he last spoke with her, she seemed detached, and he could tell something was wrong. She had described to him an onslaught of patients who were dying before they could even be taken out of ambulances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Isn’t a large portion of your economy based on selling raw materials to China? 

That's the ticket! Australia can lead the way with a 100% bi-lateral China trade embargo. That will punish 'em! Remember: Trade wars are easy to win.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sean said:

Hard to read this. The virus killed her, but not in the usual way.

That's certainly another sad story!

The Covid-19 virus does attack the body on many fronts. It would seem quite possible that it directly or indirectly also has a neurological angle.

In any case it fucks with the mind, even without actually having it. I think most here will agree with that, and even though this is SA, it is although evident in quite a few posters. Including myself...

And in any case, coping with so many deaths is very hard for almost everybody.

RIP Dr. Lorna M. Breen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Controversial_posts said:

Isn’t a large portion of your economy based on selling raw materials to China? 

Indeed it is. You do understand the simple concept that they pay for this? In the future they will pay a lot more for it. You see we are in the enviable position in that China need our coal and iron ore to exist where we don't in reality need any of the shit they make there. We can happily live without bits of shit made out of plastic, childrens toys like scooters and Great Wall crappy cars.

Yet on the other hand China owns about $1.1 trillion in U.S. debt. Not long ago that seemed like a good investment before a few cunts eating bats brought the USA to its knees in just over a month. (aided in no small way by you having the most incompetent leader in world history)

Sadly the US will never be the same again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Indeed it is. You do understand the simple concept that they pay for this? In the future they will pay a lot more for it. You see we are in the enviable position in that China need our coal and iron ore to exist where we don't in reality need any of the shit they make there. We can happily live without bits of shit made out of plastic, childrens toys like scooters and Great Wall crappy cars.

Yet on the other hand China owns about $1.1 trillion in U.S. debt. Not long ago that seemed like a good investment before a few cunts eating bats brought the USA to its knees in just over a month. (aided in no small way by you having the most incompetent leader in world history)

Sadly the US will never be the same again. 

But They won’t need your raw materials during a global depression but your leaders will probably whore themselves out trying to keep those industries alive. You might not need their kit, but how will your voters deal with losing all the good mining jobs?
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Controversial_posts said:

We’ll be done with Trump shortly, happy to send him down under to Australia. He should fit in well with the QLD crowd, will only need to tweak his talking points a bit. Change “Mexicans” to “boat people”, “thugs” to “aboriginals”.  The “mooslum” stuff can stay the same...

We call people from south of the boarder Mexicans. You obviously don't know that we in QLD have had a left wing state government for the last 5 years. Clearly you have never been here and most likely have only ever left the US to go to Canada. I guess you consider that 'overseas'. Ignorance about the rest of the world is a form of American bliss. But here is some news that you wouldn't get over there. The once mighty US has fucked up the response to this pandemic like no other country. You are without doubt in the worst position of any nation, including all those third world shit holes your president talks about. But you dumb fucks are going to give him another 4 years because your education system is a basket case like your health system and around half your voting population are brain dead morons. Like your good self for example. MAGA cup cake- you have been living in a house of cards that the Chinese brought down without firing a shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Controversial_posts said:

Isn’t a large portion of your economy based on selling raw materials to China? 

Also Aust big exporter of Agrifood to China and the US its two biggest markets. Both need to keep eating and current forward buys from China are up.

It might be a case of 330 million Americans foraging for food beside the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

But They won’t need your raw materials during a global depression but your leaders will probably whore themselves out trying to keep those industries alive. You might not need their kit, but how will your voters deal with losing all the good mining jobs?

We can ask all of your fellow trump supporters why they will re elect a complete arsehole who has cost millions of American jobs and will kill at least a million fellow Americans before this is over. What we are now seeing unfolding in the US is just the start. Opening up the country again now as infections are still rising will make the 2nd wave spectacular. I just hope all those gun slingin, good old boys protesting about their freedoms catch it. That bill of rights is the Albatross around your neck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Also Aust big exporter of Agrifood to China and the US its two biggest markets. Both need to keep eating and current forward buys from China are up.

It might be a case of 330 million Americans foraging for food beside the road.

Once they turn on themselves it should be quite a few less than that. But once the run out of bullets they might have to start chowing down on Bats themselves. Contra_post_up_his_arse claims he has already eaten one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

But They won’t need your raw materials during  a global depression but your leaders will probably whore themselves out trying to keep those industries alive. You might not need their kit, but how will your voters deal with losing all the good mining jobs?

Automation from digging to processing, short and long range haulage and loading not many workers. Could probably close Perth and make WA a FIFO state.

That supply train keeps a lot of people in US manufacturing alive like Caterpillar in Illinois all in employ. Carefully what you wish for...China also makes good machines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

We can ask all of your fellow trump supporters why they will re elect a complete arsehole who has cost millions of American jobs and will kill at least a million fellow Americans before this is over. What we are now seeing unfolding in the US is just the start. Opening up the country again now as infections are still rising will make the 2nd wave spectacular. I just hope all those gun slingin, good old boys protesting about their freedoms catch it. That bill of rights is the Albatross around your neck.

Pointing out that your country has become deeply intwined with China =/= Me liking Trump. But I forgot, that’s every non-American’s go-to insult when someone points out their own country is as fucked as the US... touched a nerve though, I see.

The entire western world will see another wave this fall, when temps cool and people are indoors longer. There’s no avoiding it unfortunately.

And for the record, I have visited Australia for work and vacation. Sydney was nice. The barrier reef wasn’t.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

And for the record, I have visited Australia for work and vacation. Sydney was nice.

That must have been when they were handing out special working visas during the Sydney tranny hooker strike to take over servicing visiting US naval vessels. Thanks for helping out the service economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Pointing out that your country has become deeply intwined with China =/= Me liking Trump. But I forgot, that’s every non-American’s go-to insult when someone points out their own country is as fucked as the US... touched a nerve though, I see.

The entire western world will see another wave this fall, when temps cool and people are indoors longer. There’s no avoiding it unfortunately.

And for the record, I have visited Australia for work and vacation. Sydney was nice. The barrier reef wasn’t

 

 

How is my country as fucked as the US? We haven't even reached 100 deaths so far yet you poor bastards have already passed the number of Americans killed in Vietnam and are likely to lose more people than you did in WW2. 

'Sydney was nice. The barrier reef wasn’t.'  That proves what I said - you have never been here.

Bet you don't even own a passport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

How is my country as fucked as the US? We haven't even reached 100 deaths so far yet you poor bastards have already passed the number of Americans killed in Vietnam and are likely to lose more people than you did in WW2. 

'Sydney was nice. The barrier reef wasn’t.'  That proves what I said - you have never been here.

Bet you don't even own a passport.

I’m speaking more broadly than mortality numbers, I’m talking about realignment of world power. And if you think the USA going down is somehow better for Australia that’s a very naive view. China will be a much less charitable daddy than we’ve been.

and yeah it was murky and high waves when I dived the reef. Just had a big tropical storm blow through, water was full of trees and branches washed 30 miles out. Roads washed out too, couldn’t get far out of Cairns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That must have been when they were handing out special working visas during the Sydney tranny hooker strike to take over servicing visiting US naval vessels. Thanks for helping out the service economy.

Says something about aussie proclivities if tranny hookers get their own visas*

*as long as they don’t come by boat, right...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

 And if you think the USA going down is somehow better for Australia that’s a very naive view.

And I said that when...? Why do you need to make shit up whenever you are cornered by your own lies?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Says something about aussie proclivities if tranny hookers get their own visas*

*as long as they don’t come by boat, right...

Australian citizens don't need visas. Arriving by boat or via anything illegally your fucked, much like a lot of places including yours. The reason being per capita of population Australia has one of the highest contemporary immigration rates in the world. So a welcoming place unlike yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

And I said that when...? Why do you need to make shit up whenever you are cornered by your own lies?

That's his MO. Today hasn't been a good day for Cuntroversial...he has been sent packing in numerous threads. Expect he will lie down and have another crack tomorrow trolling for new members to join his death-cult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Controversial_posts said:

And for the record, I have visited Australia for work and vacation. Sydney was nice. The barrier reef wasn’t.

 

35 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

and yeah it was murky and high waves when I dived the reef. Just had a big tropical storm blow through, water was full of trees and branches washed 30 miles out. Roads washed out too, couldn’t get far out of Cairns.

So you go snow skiing in summer and complain too. Rate Cape Cod as bleak and windy in a hurricane. 

How long were you insitutionalised for??

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Tbh, I’m growing tired of this acct and forums, now that there’s no sailing. It may surprise you, but conversing with washed up has-been internet losers is not very close to the most interesting voices on medical issues...

Well there is always reddit ;-P

Heck, there's USENET.

rec.sport.coronavirus

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

 

So you go snow skiing in summer and complain too. Rate Cape Cod as bleak and windy in a hurricane. 

 

I've skied in April and gone swimming in the ocean in a speedo the same day. That was nice. My wife glacier skied in the summer once. Can be tricky.

Cape Cod and hurricanes go together like maple syrup and snow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Tbh, I’m growing tired of this acct and forums, 

Have you thought of trying a new 'acct'? Maybe your new 'acct' could be not being a childish lying fuckwit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 3:54 AM, LB 15 said:

Dory Dude and his drawer full of socks like Mrs Octopus will be along soon to tell you that the seasonal flu kills far more.

This virus is horrifying. It is the saddest time in most of our life time. China must be made to pay for what they have done.

Moron. And what, pray tell me has China "done". It happens to be the place on the planet where COVID-19 crossed the species divide and started to infect humans, nothing more.

on 3rd January China informed the world they had a problem, on 11th January they shared the gnome they had researched with the WHO and anyone else who wanted it .

It was not China who sat on their hands for weeks telling people "it is OK"; "it is not a problem"; "it is under control"; "use malaria or lupus drugs" (subsequently leading to global shortages for those who need them and a higher death rate from COVID-19 than those not taking them)"; "it was not China who suggested injecting disinfectant leading to higher number of poison calls in Illinoi( for example) and Dettol & Lysol amongst others issuing urgent "DON'T DO IT notices. "; it was not China who went out on rallies without masks protesting against the proven safety measures to slow or halt the spread of the disease.

It WAS China who locked down Wuhan and subsequently 10 other cities in Hubei province effectively quarantining 50m + of its citizens to slow down and halt the spread. It is noticeable that the two jurisdictions, Hong Kong SAR and New Zealand that put in place anything like the measures in Hubei that are coming out of this pandemic earliest. 

And before you doubt my first hand knowledge of what happened in Wuhan, I did the last 2 VORs with Dongfeng Race Team. Dongfeng Auto HQ is in Wuhan so we know a significant number of people caught in the lock down. It didn't matter to level of position, you were locked down. So extreme that many compounds with hot spots had their entrance gates welded shut (I've seen the video recorded on friends iPhones) and only 'shopping' had to be delivered and handed over at the entrance.

COVID-19 is an airborne virus which has as a primary transmission the sputum carried through coughs and sneezes. Masks effectively block a cough or a sneeze as it happens yet mask wearing - or face covering of any sort - in many countries was AND IS not practiced. Simply put IF YOU STAY AWAY FROM OTHERS IT CANNOT SPREAD

Chinese people DID NOT think they knew better and in the first few weeks (still continuing today) mask wearing was virtually 100%. In fact in the first 2 weeks i saw only 2 people NOT wearing masks and they were both foreigners - as a foreigner it was embarrassing.

IF anyone has to PAY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE it is those in your own country who did not step up to the mark expected of country leaders and stamp on this thing in the way that was done here (USA & UK prime examples- i don't know enough about Italy & Spain) . Oh yes, and those who think they know better or think they don't have to bother staying at home, don't have to bother with hand washing or sanitiser or don't think they should wear a mask - they certainly aren't helping.

Bottom line is I am much safer here in China where my temperature is taken multiple times a day, where all around me adhere to facial covering, where there is effective tracking of contacts if someone is tested positive and where there have been less selfish displays by people who don't want to be locked down.

The human race is in this together and it really pisses me off when people try and shift the blame for their own stupidity. Listen to Fauci and not Trump, for your own sake.

Rant over - the good news is that this will indeed pass although we may find the normal a 'new' normal.

Sailing in Shanghai has just opened up again although people are being naturally cautious. I can't leave China. Well to be accurate, i could leave China if i could find a flight but my visa wouldn't let me back in but weirdly, i am told that when i landed at Heathrow Airport in London up until last week (for sure) they wouldn't even have taken my temperature - now is that something else China has done?

Sorry for the rant LB15 but i have had my fill of US-centric propaganda masquerading as news in the last few weeks.

See you on the water (for the time being i will be the one wearing the mask)

SS

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Sorry for the rant LB15 but i have had my fill of US-centric propaganda masquerading as news in the last few weeks.

Shang you forgot...China may be the host but US has clearly been the global epicentre for the spread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shang you forgot...China may be the host but US has clearly been the global epicentre for the spread. 

Hi Jack - Global epicentre for a number of reasons, 1, the didn't act quickly enough and 2, not everyone is taking this thing seriously

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Hi Jack - Global epicentre for a number of reasons, 1, the didn't act quickly enough and 2, not everyone is taking this thing seriously

Don't forget the UK identical and where today a local citizen can breeze through Heathrow still unchecked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don't forget the UK identical and where today a local citizen can breeze through Heathrow still unchecked.

I know Jack - absolutely nuts! I think i will stay where i am for a while, much safer

You stay safe too buddy.

SS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...