Convert centerboard to daggerboard - Lido 14

Looking for thoughts and suggestions related to converting a "tired" Lido 14 from the centerboard with trunk to a daggerboard.   Our Lido is used for occasional sails on Puget Sound off our beach.  My wife and I are both in our early 60's and not as nimble as we once were.  The Lido is a great size for quick 1-2 hour sails since it lives on a bulkhead ramp in the backyard and can be slid down to the beach, rigged and underway in 15 minutes.  

My wife has expressed that she does not want to join me on sails due to the hassles of navigating over the centerboard trunk.  Thus the idea of removing that barrier.

My thought it to leave just enough of the "factory" trunk at the forward end, in the position where the board is fully-down.  Then cut-away the trunk aft of this point and re-glass the floor to make the boat water-tight.  I'm thinking I may need to add some braces between the remaining "trunk" - aka daggerboard slot and the side seats for strength.  

Thanks for reading this post.  I welcome any thoughts on this project, which I hope to have ready for sailing this summer.  

17 hours ago, bladecrasher said:

Looking for thoughts and suggestions related to converting a "tired" Lido 14 from the centerboard with trunk to a daggerboard.   Our Lido is used for occasional sails on Puget Sound off our beach.  My wife and I are both in our early 60's and not as nimble as we once were.  The Lido is a great size for quick 1-2 hour sails since it lives on a bulkhead ramp in the backyard and can be slid down to the beach, rigged and underway in 15 minutes.  

My wife has expressed that she does not want to join me on sails due to the hassles of navigating over the centerboard trunk.  Thus the idea of removing that barrier.

My thought it to leave just enough of the "factory" trunk at the forward end, in the position where the board is fully-down.  Then cut-away the trunk aft of this point and re-glass the floor to make the boat water-tight.  I'm thinking I may need to add some braces between the remaining "trunk" - aka daggerboard slot and the side seats for strength.  

Thanks for reading this post.  I welcome any thoughts on this project, which I hope to have ready for sailing this summer.  

Make sure you can clear the boom with the board up as a daggerboard.  That's all I got...

You're right on the bracing the resulting cut down trunk.

I think you're going to find that the daggerboard fouls the vang as soon as it's slightly raised, which will be a pita.  Gybing in and breeze will become challenging.  You could move the vang to the deck, but check the structural issues and it will be less efficient.

You'll probably need to build a new board, because you'll need one with a constant section and cord over at least half to two thirds of it's length. That will be a project in it's own right.

You'll find getting the board in and out when launching and recovering is more of a mission than you expect, it's long and heavy.  If your beach is ever rough it's going to be exciting.

Finding the beach with the daggerboard down is a lot more problematic than nudging the centreboard up.

Selling the boat will be more difficult.

I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for the thoughts.  It's far from  a perfect situation.

Since we don't have a vang and the next trip on the road for this boat will be to a land-fill, I'm not worried about it's market value.  

Pulling up the daggerboard and avoiding the boom and beach (rocky cobble type beach seen here in photo of boat, ramp and beach) will be different but should not be to difficult.

Can anyone think of a non-centerboard - and non-daggerboard option?  I had thought about moving the swing centerboard "downward" so that it was mostly below the bottom, sort of like a swing keel, but that seems like a bigger glassing challenge, etc. and makes moving the boat on the beach harder than the basically smooth bottom of the Lido with daggerboard option.

IMG_0632.JPG

1 hour ago, Diamond Jim said:

I’d think about leeboards.  They’re entirely outside the boat and don’t suffer from running aground.  

That's an interesting thought.  Looking in that photo, the built in seats are built in stucture on each side that could be modded to have a trunk inside em

37 minutes ago, bgytr said:

That's an interesting thought.  Looking in that photo, the built in seats are built in stucture on each side that could be modded to have a trunk inside em

If you're not heeling a bunch, you can just have one board. it doesn't have to be on centerline, and it could be your existing centerboard.

51 minutes ago, bgytr said:

It can be simpler still.  A single board could be hung over the leeward side.  I recollect seeing one that just used a single rope.  Maybe the details of the pivot will come back to me.
You could do away with the centerboard trunk entirely. 

Normally I would say this is crazy, but a used Lido 14 is worth next to nothing anyway, so go for it.

Leeboards are an interesting idea.

I have a lot of tiller time in a Lido 14, #3333 if it's still around!

A lot of interesting ideas...  Thanks to all who posted so far.  

Leeboards sound even to goofy for me.  I grew up sailing Sabots in So.Cal and they had that setup which was strange then.

Maybe I will leave the trunk for this summer, but create a daggerboard to see how much hassle it is, and then cut out the trunk or revert to the swing arrangement.  Or if I'm lucky, the Lido will sink and  I will be forced to find a replacement.  The issue is there are not many options that can be beach launched, small enough to live on the bulkhead over the winter, and something I can find used in the greater Seattle area.