Resale Value - Gaboon ply Vs E glass foam or balsa

I've seen lots of strong opinions on cores for composite boats and on wooden boats generally but I'm wanting to take a wider market view with an eye for resale. How does the market view E glass with either a foam or balsa core Vs gaboon ply epoxy?

The two aspects I'm thinking about are how easy/quick to sell and impact on price.

Ta

The core is only as good as those that design, build, and maintain it.  The fastest selling boats are those in demand in your area, which is a moving target, subject to the fashion dictates at the time.  The best quality construction is usually found on the slowest selling selling boats, so you are working at cross purposes.  If you know what you love and learn about fabrication, and others share your love, you will probably come out fine on your quest for liquidity and value.  Happy hunting.

Thanks for your response.

So there's not a large part of the sailing community who, for example, would never buy a ply boat? Or, if they did, they'd spend less than for a composite boat?

My observations over the last few years have indicated that that might be teh case so I guess I'm trying to confirm that or prove that it's not really a concern for those who are actually buying. I'm specifically talking about a 30-32 foot racer/cruiser, if that helps.

I would add that a lot if the decision making process revolves around perceived maintenance costs, robustness of the build material, expected competitive life of the boat, and expected resale value.

57 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

I would add that a lot if the decision making process revolves around perceived maintenance costs, robustness of the build material, expected competitive life of the boat, and expected resale value.

Exactly. This is why I'm asking the question; so I can understand what that perception is on a wider market basis.

Read the West System book, look at Waarship boats in Holland.  The cost of building is 1/3 hull 1/3 tech 1/3 design,  to that add marketing, so your resale value is all about perceived [fad] longevity.  It is very difficult to apply yardsticks to curves and still have beauty and liquidity.  The easiest way to buy/sell your dreamboat is fo find the most stunning craft you can , have it surveyed, then get your better half to give you their honest cold opinion of who will buy it from you later.  If it passes all this ,then look at ownership costs, at that point your concern over construction will be put in perspective.  Fall in love, meet the family, then get married.

Ok, maybe I'm asking the question wrong as I'm getting much broader answers than I'm looking for. I understand there's a lot of variables but I'm specifically trying to focus on one right now.

Let me try again, what impact, if any, does building a boat in ply Vs e glass composite have on resale value?

18 minutes ago, tp#12 said:

Ok, maybe I'm asking the question wrong as I'm getting much broader answers than I'm looking for. I understand there's a lot of variables but I'm specifically trying to focus on one right now.

Let me try again, what impact, if any, does building a boat in ply Vs e glass composite have on resale value?

Ply without glass? You can find old trimarans like that. They sell for pennies compared to glass/foam boats.

45 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Ply without glass? You can find old trimarans like that. They sell for pennies compared to glass/foam boats.

Yep, ply without glass. Thanks for the comments, this is what I'm looking for.

I think ply is going to carry a much lower resale value.  Just go browse yachtworld or sailboatlistings and you can see.  Personally I would stay away from them just because of the perception and lower resale.  

the modern RM boats may be different. Hard to make a determination as there aren’t many in the market.

5 hours ago, tp#12 said:

what impact, if any, does building a boat in ply Vs e glass composite have on resale value?

Impossible to quantify (although it would likely be unfavourable) without considering design elements, IMO. 

7 hours ago, tp#12 said:

glass/foam is worth more and has a larger market

9 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Vaguely following this thread.  What exactly are you looking for?  A product to buy or a product to sell?

Just planning the boat I'm going to get with a bit of an eye on moving it on when I'm ready to upgrade.

polyester coated ply < epoxy coated ply < ply/glass < balsa core < foam core. 

Used ply boats will have much lower resale value.

Solid glass is something a lot of people like compared to cored boats but I think a cored performance boat will always appeal to lots of sailors. 

I'd never buy a balsa cored boat because I know balsa will rot while foam will just ... get wet.

Thanks guys, this is the stuff I"m looking for.

It seems my instincts were right in that ply is generally looked down upon as a build material and that my best choice would be glass/foam composite.

Along with the ply vs composite question you also have to ask the home built vs production built. The ply build will more than likely be home build. For no real reason this will result in a lower resale price, even though the home build can be better quality that production.